• Published 18th Jun 2015
  • 4,903 Views, 13 Comments

The Galas Overrated - Thebravenorse



In this alternate universe story Spike didn't go to the last Grand Galloping Gala and we already know Luna didn't either in the normal universe. So why didn't they go? Where were they? Well In this story you'll find out.

  • ...
4
 13
 4,903

The Galas Overrated

The Galas Overrated
Only Chapter

Once again the time for the Grand Galloping Gala had came around. This year was especially exciting, for this would be the first year that the Princess Of Friendship would help oversee it. Spike knew how excited his sister was about the opportunity and hoped everything would go alright tonight.

Everything should be fine. Well, almost everything. The dragon distinctly remembered seeing Discord's name on an invitation when helping Twilight mail them out.

So fingers crossed.

“That won't end well,” Spike laughed aloud, kicking a rock down the sidewalk.

Why wasn't Spike at the Gala you might ask? Well, he never really liked to go anyway. One time was good enough for him. Instead, he preferred a night of donuts and hot chocolate. That's actually where the young drake was heading now.

Twilight would prefer him at the Gala, but she would never force him to go.

Perhaps that would be a good thing for our young drake tonight?

Spike continued to walk down the sidewalk, lost in deep thought about many things. One of those being his life long crush Rarity. Whom it seemed was a lost cause. But Spike still had an ounce of hope in him. Maybe things would change, he sometimes prayed.

It was early at night during Spike's walk, but with it being the night of the Gala, the streets were dark and empty. Completely void of life.

This didn't bother Spike that much. He had been doing this almost every year of the Gala now and knew he would be safe. Never once had there been a problem with walking down this street. Canterlot was a safe city.

“Hey, Kid!” Said a voice.

Spike jumped, not expecting others to be around, and looked to where the voice had came from. The voice had came from a dark alleyway just ahead of Spike's path.

Just then, three large stallions walked out of the shadows. Spike quickly felt very uncomfortable as they surrounded him, evil smirks adorned their faces. Maybe Canterlot wasn't that safe after all.

“Are you lost little guy?” Asked a red stallion, who appeared to be their leader.

Spike started to back up, but was stopped by the foreleg of a very buff-looking stallion. That same stallion leaned down and whispered into the drake's ear fin.

“He asked you a question.”

Spike swallowed the lump in his throat and responded to the red stallion.

“N-No.” Spike shook his head. Taking a breath, he found an ounce of bravery in his soul. “Y-You all better not hurt me. I'm friends with the elements of-”

“Oh, we know that. You're their little mascot. But let me ask you something tough guy,“ The stallion looked around and grinned. “Where are they now to help you?”

They all laughed at this and began to slowly move closer to the terrified baby dragon.

Spike's knees buckled out from underneath him and he fell to the ground. That only seemed to make the thugs laugh harder. He closed his eyes and screamed for anyone who could hear.

“HELP!”

The third stallion frowned, not truly wanting to hurt the little guy.

“Come on kid, just give us your bits and we won't-”

“LEAVE THY CHILD ALONE!”

Spike and the stallions looked up into the night sky, all eyes wide at the site before them. Nightmare Moon herself came though the clouds and flew towards them at a great speed.

All were frozen with fear.

She landed right beside Spike and growled, showing her fangs. The look of a predator who had just found her prey in her eyes.

The stallions backed away from the two, their minds tried to come to grasps with the situation. But it was vain, for fear completely took over.

Nightmare Moon pulled Spike close with a wing, but never took her eyes off the frightened stallions. Even Spike, who in a normal situation, knew Nightmare Moon was Princess Luna, was still trying to comprehend it all.

But he still felt oddly safe being so close to the Queen Of Darkness.

“We shall tell thou only once,” She hissed. “Leave or thou shall not see the light of day again.”

They didn't even blink an eye before dashing down the street, screaming for their mothers.

Once they were gone out of sight, Nightmare moon, with a flash of light from her horn, changed back to her normal Luna form. She released Spike and knelt down to face him.

“Art tho- I mean. Are you well?” she asked with concern, sometimes forgetting to use modern Equestrian in moments of excitement or stress.

Spike was silent for a moment, then spoke up. “Yeah, I'm alright.”

He shook his head, trying to get over the shock of almost being mugged or worse. Once he felt better, Spike smiled up at Luna.

“Thank you so much Princess! You saved my life!”

She returned his smile.

“You are welcome, Spike,” She then frowned and raised an eyebrow. “What are you doing out here all alone? Shouldn't you be at the Gala?”

Spike rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. He would had never been in this mess if he had just gone.

“No. I didn't want to go,” He then returned the raised eyebrow. “Princess, I could ask you the same question.”

Luna's cheeks turned slightly pink.

“With Twilight Sparkle helping this year, I felt that I could... umm... excuse myself from the festivity's tonight. I too am not a lover of the Gala. Its quite boring.”

“I know right! That's what I say,” exclaimed Spike, glad that someone finally understands. “One time's good enough for me, you know?”

Luna smiled at the drake's excitement. She nodded. “Yes. I think I know.”

She then looked around, humming to herself. Looking back to the young dragon, she cocked her head.

“Well, I shall not have you out here alone. Would you care to return with me to my tower?”

Spike's eyes widened. “You mean hang out together? Me and you? Sure, that sound awesome!”

Luna couldn't help but giggle at his youthful energy. She then used her magic to lift Spike off the ground and onto her back. “Yes, indeed. Let us go and make merry!”

Spike frowned while he scratched his head.

“Make merry? You mean have fun?”

Luna thought for a moment, then nodded.

“Yes. I forget that's what ponies call it now-a-days,” Luna thought about it. “Such a strange word. Fun?”

Spike laughed to himself. Besides the fact of almost being mugged, this night might just turn out better than donuts and hot chocolate after all.

Luna readied herself to take off, but Spike poked her on the shoulder. She looked behind herself and frowned. “Yes Spike?”

“Princess-”

“Please, just call me Luna.” She smiled sweetly.

He blushed. “S-Sure.” Coughing into his claw, he regained control of himself. “Luna, how did you know I was in trouble?”

She grinned.

“Young Spike, have you forgotten who I am? The night is my domain.” She laughed and took flight into the night sky.


They soon landed on the balcony to Luna's tower. Spike hoped off her back and ran inside. Luna slowly followed after him.

Spike only got so far before stopping dead in his tracks at the site before him. Luna's room was filled with more games than the Ponyville arcade!

Luna trotted up beside Spike and turned away when he looked at her. Scratching the floor with her hoof, she blushed and spoke. “You must think I, what do they call it? Oh yes, a nerd?”

“Well... YEAH!”

She turned back to him, her face red with embarrassment and anger. Spike realized what he had just said and spoke quickly. “And that's awesome!”

Luna huffed, but then her expression turned to confusion.

“Really? Thou would lie to me?” Luna frowned.

“No, I'm not lying. Games are awesome and you have so many,” Spike raised his claws in the air and exclaimed with excitement. “I don't know many ponies in Ponyville who play games and I really haven't heard of many mares who play games either. That's really cool Luna. I never thought of you as a gamer!”

Luna blushed, but raised an eyebrow. “'Gamer'?”

“You know, somepony who plays games.”

She smiled. “Oh yes, I guess I am that. Games are a great stress reliever and good merr- fun.” She sighed and lowered her ears. “But my sister never wants to play, so I usually play alone.”

“I'll play with you.”

Her head shot up quickly and she looked at Spike with a sparkle in her eyes. She never had someone else to play games with. This was exciting news.

“Truly, you want to?”

“Yea! Lets play!” Spike grinned and ran off to a fun looking game with many lights and sounds.

Luna watched the small dragon for a moment and smiled as he started up the game. In all the times she had seen him, she had never realized just how much they might have in common.

Luna then made her way to him, calling out “Hold thy self! I have the cheats of the game.”

“You mean cheat codes?” Spike turned around.

“Whatever.” She rolled her eyes and they both laughed.

Then taking the second controller, Luna began showing her new friend all the secrets she had learned about the game.


After hours of games, cheat codes, and all around good fun, Spike and Luna retreated to the baloney for some fresh air. They both laughed about their wins and losses, talked about life, and simply enjoyed each others company.

“I told you to go back for the sword, but nope, you didn't listen and then you lost the game.” Spike laughed.

Luna giggled. “Well, in Heroes Quest how did you lose to a dragon? You're a dragon!”

“Hey that's different, it's a video game. If it was real life, that would be another story.” Spike flexed his arms.

Luna fanned herself with a hoof playfully. “Oh yes, such a strong and brave hero you would be!”

They shared a good laugh at that.

But once they calmed down from their laughing high, things got quiet. Nether one looked at each other. Both having blushes upon their faces and both thinking the same thing. Thinking about the other.

Luna decided to clear the air and said something first.

“So how are you and the element of generosity?” It pained Luna to even say that, but she had to know.

Spike was caught off guard by the question, but answered nonetheless.

“Umm... You mean Rarity. Why you ask?” Spike twiddled with his thumbs.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, I remember from my last visit to Ponyville, the element of laughter had told me of your feelings for her.”

Spike gritted his teeth.

'Darn you Pinkie Pie. Who else did you tell?'

He shook his head and sighed.

“Well, I still follow her like a love sick puppy and do all I can for her, but she still doesn't see me any differently.” Luna looked over at him, a frown on her face. Spike rested his head on the cold stone. “I really don't know what to do Luna. I mean Its been years and nothings really changed. Heck! I even once told her how I felt when we were about to die, but afterwards she just brushed it off!” Spike covered his eyes with his claws. “Maybe I should just give up?”

Luna was happy from hearing that, but shook her head sadly. She shouldn't be think that way. She was a princess for the moon's sake. But then again...

Luna hesitantly placed a foreleg around the small drake. Spike froze and looked up into the midnight blue eyes of Luna. He lost his breath at her beauty and how the moonlight shined down upon her. Her smile was brighter than the stars and her mane looked like the stars.

All during the night, Spike had slowly come to feel something for the night princess. He had begun to notice how great of a pony she was and how lovely she was. Feelings he had only ever had for Rarity.

He started to feel like he had know Luna for his entire life and only wanted to give the rest of it to her.

“I'm not sure what to tell you Spike, but all I can say is that If she can't see how important you are in her life, then maybe she doesn't deserve you in it. You're wonderful Spike. So kind and sweet. If I was her..... I...”

Luna blushed and removed her foreleg. Quickly, she turned away.

How can she be such a fool? He's a dragon, let alone a baby. The equestrian populous would never approve, her sister would never approve! But she has been so lonely and Spike makes her smile and laugh in a way that she hasn't in so long. Who cares if nopony would approve! Doesn't she deserve the same love as her subjects? She-

“Luna?”

Luna realized that she had been lost in thought and turned to face Spike. It wasn't hard to see that Spike had also been having the same thoughts, for his face was as red as hers.

He tried to say something but couldn't, the words just wouldn't come out. So he thought of something else to do...

“Spike?”

Why wasn't he saying anything!? Did she do something wron-

“Mmmm!” Luna's eyes widened with surprise.

Without warning, Spike had jumped onto the ledge and kissed Luna deeply. Having to stand on the ledge to reach Luna's lips, the kiss was a little awkward for the drake, but he did not care. Her lips were the softest things he had ever felt. They were incredibly sweet and tasted like blueberry!

Spike closed his eyes and moaned in enjoyment.

Luna didn't know how to respond. Here was the dragon whom she had just began to develop feelings for kissing her! She was shocked, excited, and unsure. Having to know something, she gently pulled away.

Luna had to bite her lip at the sad expression on Spike's face when she did so.

Spike was freaking out. What had he done? What had came over him? Why was he so stupid? Now Luna probably hates him. He-

“Spike... that was amazing,” Luna breathed and Spike's eyes widened. “But I must know. Do you love me? Do you still have feelings for Rarity?”

“I... I...” Spike smiled. “Yes, Luna, I still have feelings for Rarity. I can't just throw feelings I've had for years away in only a moment...:”

Luna was on the verge of tears.

“But I will be able to once I talk it out with her. You know, to have closure and tell her how I felt all these years. But no, I'm not in love with her anymore,” He grinned. “I'm in love with somepony else now. A mare who's WAY more awesome.”

Luna's growled. “Why you!”

She decided to return the favor from earlier and, without warning, pounced on top of Spike, pulling him off the ledge and onto the ground. Then, with her long mane falling over both their faces, Luna slowly leaned in for a kiss. Spike happily accepted her warm, sweet lips.

Luna moaned with excitement at the taste of gems from Spike's lips. She loved the kiss so much that she opened her lips and allowed Spike more room to explore. The drake didn't hesitate and gave the same kindness to Luna.

She giggled as Spikes forked tongue played with hers and Spike got much pleasure from her sounds.

This continued for awhile, but believe it or not, even a dragon and princess need air.

They pulled away, but held each other close. Unable to say a word or look away from each others eyes, the new born couple just stayed there for a good hour or so before anything happened. Then Spike spoke.

“So... we're together now,” he smiled.

“We are,” she returned his smile.

“Luna, why me? Out of all the choices in Equestria, why me?”

She thought about her answer for a moment, then winked. Using her hoof, she poked his nose.

“I like your scales.”

Spike frowned and raised an eyebrow at her. Luna stuck out her tongue in mock playfulness. For a moment nothing changed, but then they both exploded out into laughter.

Wiping away a tear of joy, Spike stood up and held out a claw.

“What are we doing?” asked Luna, taking his claw.

“Well I figured that since everypony we know is at the Gala right now, why don't we go ahead and tell them. You know, about us.” Spike was nervous, but he thought it was best to go ahead and get it out of the way quickly.

“Are you sure?” asked Luna, worried also.

“I am.”

He smiled and that eased Luna's nerves a little. So using her magic, she picked her drake up off the ground and placed him upon her back. Then, turning her head around, she kissed his cheek.

“Then we shall.”

So with that the couple flew towards the Gala. It wasn't a far distance from the tower and in no time they had landed outside the door.

Spike and Luna looked at each other one more time, almost as if it would give them courage. Then, with brave hearts, they opened the door....

and they quickly wished they hadn't as they watched the scene before them.

“Whoa dude, what is that?” screamed a green hippie mare, who was being held in the air next to a portal or something.

“Relax, I'm not going to hurt you. I'm simply going to send you to another dimension.” Discord, whom they could easily expect was behind all this, was looking quite angry over something. “I can't have you interfering with my relationship with Fluttershy anymore.”

“Discord!” yelled Fluttershy, floating up to the one in question. “Sto-”

Spike and Luna shut the door before they could hear anymore.

They hastily turned around and began to walk away from the Gala building. Both were relived at not having to tell anypony this night, but also very confused at what they had just witnessed.

“What was that... green thing with the top hat?” asked Spike.

“No idea,” replied Luna, wanting to forget whatever she had just seen.

“Well, they can handle it on their own. I mean, it's not like we wanted to go to the party anyway, right?” Spike asked, with a small grin.

Luna lowered her eyelids and nodded, with a grin herself.

“Not our problem.” They snickered.

But then, Luna remembered something she had wanted to say earlier. “Spike, do you know that wedding coming up in Ponyville?”

“Yeah, you mean Cranky Doodle and Matilda's wedding? What about it?” Spike was a little confused.

Luna blushed slightly. “Would thou want to sit with us- me?”

Spike stopped and stared at her, then face-clawed.

“Yes, I would Luna, that's kind of what new couples do.”

Luna rolled her eyes, but a blush still present.

“Don't mock me Spike. I'm still getting used to this.”

Spike chuckled at her adorableness and hugged her foreleg, making Luna's blush darken, but a smile also grew on her face. She leaned down and hugged back. There, they stayed like that for sometime before continuing down the path.

Where they were going, they could care less. They only cared that they would be together wherever they ended up.

And it crossed their minds that if they had both gone to the Gala after all, this new romance might had never happened.

Even though the Gala was know as the most romantic and grand party in Equestria, it seemed that Spike and Luna didn't need its help when finding each other.

I guess the Gala is overrated after all.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoyed. This was just something I came up with in the heat of the moment after watching that one episode. Can we get a "Huzza!" for Spike x Luna. My favorite shipping! :pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 13 )

HUZZA!

Lance blazer:moustache:

My two favorite characters well done, in my secret favorite ship, also well done!!!

It could have taken a little longer, but have to appreciate it for what it is, really.

NVC

A very cute story with the added bonus of featuring my favorite couples. Although as a small bit of advice from an avid reader, not a writer, the story seems a little rushed. The time between Spike worrying over his crush about Rarity, and then him going for Luna should've been a bit slower. Really let the characters get a feel for each other and allow them to interact a bit more realistically and freely. So this might have been better as a two part-er but that is just my opinion. Anyways fun story and I hope you follow this up someday. :pinkiehappy:

Was a little too fast but I enjoyed it nontheless. Also why did Pinkie Pie tell a Pinkie Secret? Like... she must have gotten carried away?

Oh my glob, I really like this FanFic so much now. :pinkiehappy:
So much DAWWWWW :twilightsheepish:

I don't like SpiLuna that much but...
HUZZAH!!

“Young Spike, have you forgotten who I am? The night is my domain.”

Like Batman and Judge Dredd, Luna is amazing.

The night is my domain.”

Or, to put it another way...
She is Batmare! :trollestia::facehoof:

everybody is going on about how good this story is, and they're right ! they also missed these. the last one is to good to not have that little extra dig.
Spike hoped off her back and ran inside [ hopped]
Spike and Luna retreated to the baloney for some fresh air [ beef or pork ? sorry [ balcony ]

7861315
Aw...now I have a sad for not being the one to catch those...:rainbowlaugh: Not really though. It just proves how good the story is that I didn't catch those.

I totally love SpikexLuna.
Loved the reference to how they both sat together during the wedding in Slice Of Life.
And loved the Nightmare Moon bit too.

Login or register to comment