• Published 22nd Nov 2011
  • 3,145 Views, 86 Comments

The Science of Magic - theworstwriter

  • ...
10
 86
 3,145

Waking the Dreamer

“Ready girls?” Twilight asked, looking back at her friends expectantly.

Four of them nodded.

Pinkie closed her eyes and frowned. “No. We can’t do this. I’m sorry. I only did what I had to, but I still lied to all of you and I can’t ask you to forgive me for that. I’ve been lying since you let Disco out. I guess I always was, but until then I didn’t know it.” She produced a thick stack of papers and began to rifle through them. Stopping a short distance into the pile, she turned her gaze to bore directly into Discord’s eyes. “Have you ever thought about what other people think?”

“I’m not sure I understand the question,” he replied, raising an eyebrow.

Pinkie sighed heavily. “Everything is super simple, right? You get almost all of it, with just a few mysteries left buzzing around. So how come nobody else does? Twilight’s a genius, and I’m sure Simon and his friends are really smart, too. Why did EVERYTHING come so easily to you while they had to work so hard and still be confused?

“I don’t know. That’s one of the few things left I don’t understand.”

“Pinkie, what exactly are you getting at?” Twilight asked.

“Okay. So that’s strange, but worrying about it all the time would be silly. So you don’t. You just accept that one day, everything changed and write it off as a fluke. But you know what else is weird? The humans are just as confused about friendship as you are, but the ponies aren’t. And NOBODY seems to understand how exactly it works, even if they’re really good at it.” Pinkie kept stepping closer to Discord with each sentence.

He started to back up. “I’m afraid I have to agree with Ms. Sparkle. You’re delightful, but I have no idea what you’re trying to tell me.”

“Isn’t THAT weird, too? Why am I the only pony you can’t figure out?”

“I imagine if I knew that, I’d be able to make some progress.”

“Nope,” Pinkie said, lifting the papers and holding them in front of herself. “You wouldn’t. And I know why. I know a lot of things you don’t. Do you know what this is?” She gave the papers a light shake.

“Whatever it is that Spike was writing.”

“You’ve got a real good eye for details. I think you would be really good at throwing surprise parties. That’s exactly what this is, but do you know what he was writing about?”

“I do not.”

“That’s okay. You can’t read everything ever written. There’s no time. It’s a story about a little boy named Daniel. It’s a true story, but I’m not sure how Spike found out about it.”

All eyes were on Pinkie. Some faces were scrunched, some were twisted, some were hard to read, but all of them were driven by confusion.

“Daniel wasn’t a bad boy. He always tried to be nice, but sometimes it was hard because he didn’t understand what other people felt. He was different, and some meanies made fun of him for it for a long time. Over the years, really spooky things started to happen. One time, Daniel was being bullied in front of school, and a flagpole fell over and hurt the bully really bad.”

Simon and the ponies were just as confused as before, but the uncertainty on Discord’s face started to melt away.

“It never wobbled before that, and it wasn’t windy that day. Another time, a big rock flew into someone’s head and nobody knew who threw it. Once a desk moved all by itself and pushed someone into the wall. Bad things kept happening to people whenever Daniel got hurt or scared or mad, and eventually some strange men in suits came to Daniel’s house to take him away. He didn’t want to go.”

Discord’s eyes started to water. At some point, the others had disappeared along with the room they were in. All that remained was a conversation between two confusingly knowledgeable creatures.

“He cried and tried to resist, but the men wouldn’t listen. Daniel was put into a car and the men started to drive away. After a while, Daniel got mad and the car crashed. The men in the car died, and Daniel broke his legs. He really wanted to go home, but he was far away and walking would take a long time even with good legs.”

Discord rubbed at his eyes. “You can stop now. Nobody... nobody cares about Daniel. Can we... can we please get back to the here and now?”

“That’s the problem. There are people who really do care about him, but for all the wrong reasons. Because of them, it might not be a good idea to get back to the ‘here and now.’ I... don’t feel right forcing you to do anything. I’m just trying to let you know, so you can choose.”

“Let me know WHAT? All you’re doing is bringing back painful memories that don’t make any sense!”

“Daniel, I’m sorry. I thought you were happier here, so I was quiet. But you were about to do something with consequences you didn’t understand and I just want to help you make the right choice.”

“So what is all this, then? Where are we? What happened to me?”

“They wanted to study you, and you wouldn’t cooperate. They had to... sedate you. We don’t know exactly why, maybe they gave you too much, but it didn’t work out how they planned. You’re in a coma, Daniel.”

He tried to hold back a sniffle. “I still don’t... what is this?”

“Friendship is like magic because you don’t know how else to look at it. As heartbreaking as it is, I’m not sure you ever had a real friend. The humans have warped it because you think we’re all ugly on the inside. You understand everything else because it’s all yours. You made the humans. You made the ponies. You made all of this.”

“So that’s it, then? This is all just a dream?”

“No, it isn’t. You’re REALLY powerful Daniel. More powerful than you could ever believe. This is real.”

“I don’t... I don’t understand,” he replied, now openly sobbing.

“I know you don’t. I’m trying to help you.”

“Who are you?”

“My name is Elizabeth. I’m... like you. We’re both at the same facility. When I found you, I thought you were better off here. Nobody could push you around. But now I’m not sure. You’ve learned an awful lot about friendship from the ponies, but I’m still not sure you understand what it means to have a real friend, and you’ve found out just how boring it can be to be a god. I’m letting you know. If you cross the barrier... if you go to the other universe you found, you’ll wake up. The universe will be full of mysteries again.”

“Then why didn’t you just let me do it?”

She put a hoof on his shoulder and stared intently at him. “Because they’re still there, waiting to study you. You won’t have peace. And more importantly, because actions have consequences. You can’t maintain an entire universe from the outside. If you go, this all ends. You may have created it all, but that doesn’t make it any less real. If you leave, you’re letting every last sentient being here die.”

“Well then I don’t really have a choice, do I? I go ‘home’ and gain nothing but a fresh sense of wonder and a heap of guilt or stay here and be a bored god who DOESN’T cause countless deaths,” he snapped angrily, pushing her away.

She broke eye contact and cast her gaze to the floor, idly scratching a hoof at it for a moment before looking back up. “There’s... more. Even from in here, it’s an incredible strain on you. You can’t keep this up forever. Eventually, it will all collapse on you. There won’t be a warning, and it will cause more pain than you’re capable of imagining. To you and everyone else. If you stay, this universe will live in the looming shadow of a true apocalypse.”

He threw up his hands. “Well THANKS. I was bored, and now I’m morally torn between two awful options that I have no right to choose between!”

“I just didn’t want to let you make a mistake out of ignorance. I... I’ve made choices I regret because I wasn’t aware. I have to go soon. I’m not that powerful, and staying here is difficult for me.”

There was a long silence. “Why?”

“There are still mysteries out there, and I can’t explain how it all works. I just know I can’t do this.”

“No. Why... why did you stay here?”

“I don’t need much of a reason. Out there I’m locked up alone except during tests. In here I’m not. This was a whole world of interesting new possibilities. You’re different, though. You’ve moved heavy objects; you can escape. I’m sure with time and practice, you could do a lot more. I’m sorry you’ve had such a difficult life. But here’s your chance. You can choose your future.” She hesitated. “I really do have to go now. Talk it over with the others.”

“I don’t have to choose immediately, right? Can you come back later?”

“Sorry. Time flows differently here. A few seconds out there is thousands of years in here. By the time I’m ready to come back, it’ll probably be too late. Goodbye, Daniel.”

“Wait!”

In a bright flash, she was gone and the room was back. The occupants, who had huddled together to discuss the best course of action, turned to see Discord’s return.

After a brief pause, Twilight’s eyes narrowed. “Where’s Pinkie?”

---------------------------------------------------

The two of them stretched lazily across the hilltop, basking in the rays of the setting sun.

“Do you think I did the right thing?”

“I don’t know. Maybe there is no right or wrong here.”

“That sounds like a cheap way to justify a choice.”

“Maybe it is. Maybe humans really don’t properly understand friendship.”

“Equestriaverse humans or Earthverse humans?”

“Either. One was based on the other. Traits were only magnified or diminshed, not manufactured out of thin air.”

“Maybe. So what now?”

“I dunno. I guess the only thing we CAN do is move forward and try to be the best friends we can be.”

“Maybe we should throw a party.”

“I think I’d like that.”

Comments ( 25 )

This has been put off for way too long, and I'm not actually making it better. I'm just running. The closer to the end I got, the less I liked it and the more 'locked-in' it got. Hopefully it isn't as horrible as I think it is.

192536
Ohshi, my bad. I forgot to mark it complete. That's the end. Srsly. See my previous comment where I hoped it was less awful than I thought it was.

This is incredibly amazing, as i expected.

This is what was going through my mind:
Yer a wizard, Daniel.
"

'We hope you have enjoyed your ride through The Science of Magic. Please remain seated until the car comes to a full and complete stop and the safety bar lifts; and remember to be sure to collect your things before leaving the car.'
"Daddy, daddy, can we go again?"
"Sure princess, let's go get back in line.. it was a pretty fun ride wasn't it."

Wat.

That ending did not work for me. I felt it was a quick end, as if the author got bored, or didn't know where to go with all of it.

I feel just a bit cheated, actually.

Good premise, initially, but pulling an Anthony/Akira at the end... no.

194169
The ending doesn't do it for me either, but I can't redirect the story when it is almost over. I dug my own grave with it. Discord's inexplicable ease of understanding, Pinkie's incomprehensibility, and the general absurdity of multiple universes with radically different physical laws can only conclude one way. The only thing I could have changed was what choice he made.

I apologize for my general shittiness and inability to write a satisfying ending. This is a recurring problem of mine.

Well, the author said he wasn't into the story anymore. If he were to continue with it it would have gone down in quality. Might as well give it a less-than satisfactory ending and cutting the story short instead of dragging it on with bad chapters. Yes the ending wasn't as good as it could have been, but the story over all was enjoyable. Hopefully the author can make it up with an even better story.

I... Um... Well. Okay, I'll be honest here. That was a bit disappointing. And, I'm actually one of those people who hardly ever complains about stories. I sympathize with you though, about the way you wrote it just having to end like this. If I may be so bold, may I ask if you had a plan when you started writing this that had anything significantly different in the ending or anywhere else for that matter? You say that you were disappointed in your own ending with this, and I'm just curious to know what would have, well, not disappointed you so much. If you don't know, that's fine. I know that people who write fanfictions that are updated as they go often don't think of the ending until near the actual end. It was certainly a fun ride while it lasted. I hope to be able to see your writings improve as time goes on, so be sure not to give up. Good luck to you.

The ending may have been confusing, but that doesn't diminish how awesome the story was in its entirety.

the beginning saddened me the middle intrigued me and the ending confused me

194251 Then why have an ending? WRITE FOREVER! :pinkiecrazy:

But still, the ending had meaning. Even if you had to KILL THE BEST universe ever to show it.

126331 Dem fightin words :rainbowwild:

I am not sure to hate you or love you for that ending

That was WAY to close to a gainax ending for comfort... but all things considered? This story was actually really, really good. I would have changed it a bit so pinkie had a mirror copy in the Equiverse while Daniel/Discord left to the real world with Elizabeth... and I would have added a bit of an epilogue to explain what happened in the Equiverse from there... but otherwise? It made a LOT of sense. I don't mean troll logic either. "The Science of Magic" indeed... indeed.

413656
Wait, somebody actually liked one of my endings? The general consensus seems to be that they're always too abrupt.

Well, regardless thanks. While it does somewhat artificially inflate my comment numbers, I actually really like seeing chapter reactions. Regardless, you're silly. This story couldn't possibly be good. It was written by the worst.

414787
Oh the irony of that statement... I'd like to think I'm the worst really... not that I would go for a competition.

I have a reference however, if you want. It's on my DA, which is linked from my Profile...

Meh, not like anyone actually looks at that thing though.

193069
Do you have ANY idea how much stories that spawned in my head? :rainbowhuh:

:derpyderp1:
:rainbowhuh:
:derpyderp2:
:applejackconfused:
:derpytongue2:
:rainbowderp:
:pinkiecrazy:
:twilightoops:
...
Well, at the very least it was an interesting read. And short enough to get through in one go!

This was some deep s:yay:t. I'd say more, but I'm kinda lost in thought right now.

That got really meta, really fast. :twilightoops:

You really twisted my mind here friend, it was a good ending altering the bad ending on the bottom surface.

192464 You know, you could write an alternate version, if you want. It was a good read, though I didn't feel much connection with the characters, other than the fact that I knew them from the show.

what?!
what?!
what?!
What?!

YOU CALL THAT AN ENDING?!!THAT WAS MATRIX REVOLUTIONS CROSSED WITH THE COMA THEORY AND YOU KNOW IT!!!

Login or register to comment