• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 2,382 Views, 27 Comments

A Daring Secret - Night--Mist



The real reason Daring Do wanted to stop Rainbow Dash from helping her.

  • ...
3
 27
 2,382

My Secret

It broke my heart to do what I did, but I had no other choice. To this day it still pains me to think about it. The best way I found to cope with it was through my adventures, but once they were finished, the memory would always find it's way back.

I soon began writing stories of my Adventures to help cope with the pain as well, and went under the pen name 'A.K. Yearling' to hide my identity. I was surprised at how much readers loved the stories. Well, a girl does have to make a living, and documenting my adventures to let the world read about them was a great way to do so, and, as a plus, this was the best way to let my friend know I was okay, with an injury here or there, and I hoped he was able to get copies of my stories. As the years went on, the pain was numbed a bit, but it was always there. From time to time, my mind wondered back to Cloudsdale, but I could not go back, not when Ahuizotl was constantly threatening Tenochtitlan Basin with his hired henchponies and other creatures with his countless attemts to use ancient archaeological relics, some with destructive powers. The actions he performed there would not only affect the basin if he succeeded, but the surrounding parts of Equestria as well.

I didn't want to get the Princesses involved with everything he was doing, and once or twice I got a visit, and had to reassure them I had it under control. Gotta admit, I was Surprised when I first bumped into Princess Luna. I had never asked who the ponies were that set her free, only needed to know that the Elements of Harmony were what was used by the ponies who set her free. The last couple of years kind of slowed down for a while, until I discovered that Ahuizotl was gathering up the Rings of Scorchero and was planning to doom the valley to 8 centuries of unrelenting heat. As if a frigid unending winter wasn't bad enough for our pony ancestors, now we had to deal with a massive 800 year heat wave? Not while I was around. I had foiled his plans yet again when I was able to find the final and most crucial piece to his plan, the smallest ring of the 15. I could just imagine him yelling "Curse you Daring Do!" but I couldn't be caught up in the moment about it.

For one, I had to keep a keen eye for danger, and for another, there was my next book that had to be finished. I had just finished it up to this point and proof read it, and, well, I was stumped. The adventure I had up to this point rendered the book to be incomplete in my eyes. I know I had set a date for it's release, but I had to move it back. There had to be more to it then to what I wrote, but every time I looked over it, I saw hadn't missed a single part in the adventure, I couldn't try to stretch the story, or my readers would think I was trying to hard. I needed more to work with. With that I headed of into the nearby town, Hoofington to let my mind be off, I of course wore my disguise to hide my identity, for the ponies in this town were usually the first to get a new copy when I was finished and had it published, granted, some who got it first were farther away. But these ponies only knew me as the author, so, they fortunately didn't have to worry about their favorite hero putting them in danger. I of course was bombarded with the question of why I had pushed back the date, and I told them that there were some details I had to look over before releasing it, which was partially true.

After a trip into town, I made my way back to my home in the woods. Upon arrival to the last bit of the trail home, I saw a line of red, and for moment, I thought it was a trail of blood. I soon came to find it was just paint. 'Who would leave a trail of red paint on the ground?' I thought to myself. I followed the trail and it ended just a few gallops short of my house. Somepony seems to have found my humble abode. Well, not that it was exactly a secret lair, but by the way my door was just laying on the ground after being broken off it's hinges, this had to be the work of someone who was after what I had and was no doubt in league with Ahuizotl. I sneaked up to the window quietly and peered into the house.

As I saw who was there, I gasped in shock and ducked out of sight before thinking, 'It's her! Rainbow Dash! How could it be her?! She should be miles away from here. Okay, get a grip. Now, I know Rainbow's not responsible for the mess inside, she looked, well, worried, not mad. But if Ahuizotl's accomplices are still in the area, she and her friends might be in danger still. And if they realize who she is, they'll harm her. I can't let that happen. Alright, now I need to make it so that she and her friends will leave, and get back to safety........ I got it.'

I soon came to the entrance of my house and asked in a stern voice, "What are you all doing here?"

They all looked at me in surprise, and Rainbow Dash asked in reply, "Uh, A... k-K... Year-ling?"

She made a bit of a dopey face, and upon that and the fact that she knew my pen name, I could tell she was a fan. The, well, the Alicorn standing next to her seemed to also be a fan with the way she was freaking out. While it was true I had never laid eyes on this new princess, I didn't know that Royalty found my books to be great entertainment. She must have not been told by the other princesses of who I was. She was claiming to have not made the mess, and I knew she didn't, but this was a way to keep them from finding out about how I knew Rainbow, even if it didn't make sense as I asked, "What have you done to my house?"

I then remembered, if Ahuizotl's acquaintances had been search for what I think they were, they might have found it, and I had to look for it. Rainbow's friends were all of course telling me they weren't responsible while my mind was focused on finding that ring. Little Miss Dash, of course, had to remind me of the dilemma with my book, and, well, she was sitting on it the very thing I was looking for. I soon drug it out from under her hooves and found that the ring was still where it should be. I sighed in relief, "It's safe."

I soon put it on my wing, since I knew those thugs who were looking for it would be back sooner or later. Rainbow Dash was persistent about me getting the new book finished. But hey, when somepony you know is one of series' biggest fans, can ya really blame her. I had to shrug it off with an eye roll, to, well, sort of tell her to get back to safety. The new princess seemed to interpret the message that I want to be left alone, which worked for me as she pulled Rainbow Dash out of the house and their friends followed. Seems that Princess has got a good head on her shoulders, and seems to be keeping an eye on Rainbow.

I was starting to straighten things up to make my house look, well, less beat up, and when I readjusted the broken mirror, I caught sight of three familiar and unsavory characters who I knew worked for a certain crooked fellow archaeologist I knew. Well, this was the prefect time to lose the disguise. I soon was back to my regular outfit and stared these stallions down. We soon got into a brawl. Looks like these ponies' mothers never taught them it wasn't polite to hurt a lady. I felt like I had the upper hoof then I heard a familiar voice scream, "Daring Do!"

'Rainbow?! What's she still doing here?!' I thought before I was tackled for the ring.

As the dust cleared, I saw that Caballeron had the ring. "Many thanks Daring Do. As you probably surmised, our earlier searches for this treasure were, unsuccessful. So nice of you to find it for us," he said.

I tried to gallop towards him, but came to find that not possible as I had sprained my leg, and fell. "Give it back Caballeron," I demanded.

"That's Doctor Caballeron to you," Caballeron said.

He and I exchanged an argument, but of course, when you try to reason with an archaeologist who cares more about the money and not the history or it's secrets, reason seems to mean very little to them. As he left with his henchponies to sell off the ring to Ahuizotl, I pull myself together and made a temporary brace to keep me from injuring my leg further for the time being. Rainbow and her friends came back and wondered if I was alright. I warded them off, since I didn't want to get them involved, especially my daughter. I told them, "Daring Do doesn't need help. She handles her business herself."

With that I trotted out of my house, with a bit of a limp of course and flew off to let my leg get a little rest. After a while I felt my leg had enough rest and landed with no side effects and took the brace off. I then used what stealth skills I had to follow Caballeron and his henchpomies after carelessly leaving their trail of hoof prints behind. I had to be sure that I was well hidden, and that Caballeron had no more surprises or other henchponies trailing behind. Just as I thought about that, I heard grass rustling behind me. Sounded like they were trying to find me or get the jump on me. I leaped forward at the sound and tackled whoever had been following me. The sound of the voice was familiar and I came to realize that it was Rainbow Dash. 'Oh, sweet Celestia, she's followed me! Okay, gotta make it so she doesn't suspect that I know who she is, or that I am protecting her,' I thought to myself as she yelled "Stop!"

"Oh, it's just you," I said as I put my hat back on.

I trotted off hoping she would get the hint to leave, but that didn't phase her as she popped in again and reminded me about how big a fan she was. She then insisted on helping me and to try and ward her off back home, I replied sternly, and I guess somewhat motherly, "I... work... alone."

"But why won't you let me team up with you? Just this once?" She asked.

'If only you knew Rainbow,' I thought before quickly replying, "My work always involves secrets, and since you never know who you can trust, it's better never to trust anypony."

"But just because you can't trust some, doesn't mean nopony can be trusted," She told me.

She was right about that, but I had to keep her safe and a reacted fast by saying, "Look, I don't have time to argue."

She reacted just as fast by replying, "Neither do I, let's go."

She flew off before I could say another word. I sighed, "I can't believe I'm even taking to her."

Rainbow was certainly enthusiastic, and that could be the one thing that could put her in danger. Also, it looked like when her heart was set on something, she wouldn't give up, and was loyal to a fault. Another trait she inherited from me. Seems aside from the physical colors she got from her dad, she definitely had her mother's spirit. But with all that said, I don't want her to get hurt. 'Okay, I'll let her tag along this time, but I need to make it so she doesn't put herself in danger,' I thought to myself once more.

Day gave way to night and we came upon Caballeron and his gang. I guess Rainbow was taking notes as she stated the obvious about them taking a brake before heading off to make a profit. Luckily a mare like me comes prepared for situations like this. Rainbow Dash seemed to want to know what I was about to do, almost as if she was trying to get some training from me. I soon revealed that because of how rich I was already, I thought I would coax Caballeron with payment. It seemed to work. That is until Ahuizotl found us. Caballeron, being the coward he was, took the money and galloped off, high tailing it away from me and Ahuizotl. Ahuizotl demanded I give him the ring, and I threw some humor at him not to just keep the ring on me, but to keep his attention away from Dash.

He sent his pets after me and I knocked their senses about. I had the upper hoof until I saw that Ahuizotl had Rainbow in his clutches. In my mind I thought, 'Oh no, I can't let him hurt her.'

This was the opportunity his pets needed to better me, but of course, I let them do this. Rainbow, as brave as she was, put up no match for Ahuizotl. I know she said she would help me, but I couldn't let her get into anymore danger. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her, and, it pained me to say it in the manner I did, as I told her, "Don't bother, I'd say you've already "Helped" plenty."

I was hoping that would be enough to have her turn tail and fly home to where it was safe. Once I was in the fortress, I was lucky enough to get a glimpse of where the ring placing ceremony would be held so I didn't lose my way. I gotta admit that Ahuizotl putting me in a piranha pit was a little intense. Those fish are nasty little biters. I'll admit, I was scared, but I didn't let the fear best me. I was more focused on the fear of Ahuizotl dooming not just the valley, but all of Equestria to 800 years of unrelenting sweltering heat. After he and I exchanged some conversation I began to pull myself loose. I was a little nervous about how heavy these bricks could be, and once the last one was out, I was only inches from the water, and the piranhas. I almost thought I was fish food, when who'd a thunk it, Rainbow Dash came to my aid. "You can flap too ya know," She said.

Seesh, this girl doesn't give up. "I was just about to save myself you know," I shot at her.

"Of course. I just thought you might need this," She fired back as she slid my hat to me.

I didn't see that one coming. But I couldn't let her outwit me and fired another snappy comeback as I asked, "Have I mentioned yet that "I" work alone?"

"Have I mentioned yet that you're lucky "I" don't?" She snapped back.

Gotta hoof it to her, the kid's got her own arsenal of snappy comebacks. And she seemed to be able to hold her own after all. I didn't want to put her in danger again, but we needed to stop the ceremony and I didn't really have time to argue that she should leave to be safe. We flew to the ceremonial chamber where Rainbow's friends were already at work playing keep away from Ahuizotl and his followers. I wanted to keep an eye on Rainbow, and I sort of needed her help, so I told her, "Come with me."

We flew to the pedestal of rings and I asked her to help me remove all the rings. As we lifted the rings she asked me, "Was this your plan all along?"

"I had to find a way to get into the fortress," Daring Do answered.

"You did it on purpose, but I thought," She didn't finish as I cut her off.

"I didn't count on how heavy this ring would be though. Guess having a little help "can" be handy sometimes," I told her.

I was happy to see that this was enough to help Rainbow regain her confidence my harsh words had taken earlier. We were just about there when Ahuzotl had captured the smaller ring and saw what was happening. "Stooop Heeeer!" He yelled.

We now had the followers trying to get at us. "You can flap too you know," I said, trying to motivate Rainbow

She soon found her strength and told her friends to make a gallop for it, as the fortress began to collapse. We soon made our own way out though the opening in the roof. We were soon away from the rubble and I heard Ahuizotl yell, "Daring Do! I will have my revenge!"

This both satisfied and scared me as I hoped he would never find out about Rainbow and how I knew her. We soon threw the ring from a high altitude and it shattered. "Could never have done this with out you Rainbow Dash," I told my her.

I offered a hoof to shake like I did with many of my friends. The one thing I didn't see coming was Rainbow Dash hugging me. At first I was a little weirded out, but realizing who she was soon made it "A" okay in my book. And speaking of books, this is where I had to break up the moment and say, "I've got a book to finish."

I soon waved goodbye to her and flew to my home, and I thought to myself, 'One day Rainbow Dash, I'll let you know the truth... One day.'

With that thought in mind, I flew home to finish my book and honor Rainbow Dash with a cover name of her own to make ponies less suspicious. I of course had to give her a copy early, since she is.... my biggest fan. I just gotta find the right moment to tell her my secret though. I'm not sure how long she'll remain safe or how soon somepony might realize who she really is.

Then I realized something. I had said her name out loud. Whether or not she realized this, that remained to be unknown.

Author's Note:

End of the chapter. Well, that was a little story I thought should come to light, and has been on my mind for a while. I, along with Peanut Butter Brony as far as I know, share a common head cannon where Daring Do is the mother of Rainbow Dash.

I mean, there are many things that would make sense, and I said this in previous blogs, their attitudes are similar, both have the same mane and tail style. Both are pegasi, and have a knack for adventure and danger.

Now reason I say Daring Do is the mom is because the actress who voiced her made her sound more mature then Rainbow Dash. Some might say she's the older sister, but I say she's her mother. plus her looks make her seem more mature then Rainbow, granted, she doesn't look all that older.

Anyways, Please leave a positive comment and constructive criticism. I'd be happy to hear your opinions. I am not sure if I will decide to continue or just have this be a single chapter story, so I would like to hear your opinions on that as well.

Comments ( 26 )

Great story, I'd like to see more (if you're planning to make another chapter). :pinkiesmile:

When I first saw Daring Do, I thought she was Rainbow Dash (it was the episode when Rainbow Dash was in a hospital). So I watched the episode "Daring Don't" last night and I saw the similarities.

nice, needs a cover picture.

5739539 I know, but I I can't find a proper picture to represent the story.

5739529 I am still trying to think if I should continue this or not. Be patient. I am leaning towards making another chapter.

5739546

Try to search devianart for pictures of Daring Do and Rainbow Dash together. Or Rainbow Dash wearing Daring Do gear.

5739761 I'll try, but I don't know if there's anything there that represents what I looking for, but still, I'll check.

Let me preface this by saying that the idea itself, is sound, and has potential for further development.

However, your execution leaves a lot to be desired.

For a start, you really didn't plan this, did you? That letter essentially gives the game away straight off the bat, and from there it's just rehashing what we've already seen. That's just boring.

Next off, your writing is, for want of a better word, clunky. You spend too much time describing and explaining the action, that it losses it

Oops.

To continue, it loses its appeal.

You refer to the fact that daring is rainbow's mother too often. It's unneeded. Show, don't tell. We understand, we don't need it spelt out to us.

Also, I would've picked daring to be her older sister, but that's just me

5739833 Well, I'll see what I can do to change up the story a bit. This is why I look for constructive criticism. I have to hit a few bumps in the road in order to better my writing. So for the time being I will unpublish the chapter till I feel it's ready, once I edit some things.

Only the 1st chapter & already I love this story big time. I eagerly await further chapters. Keep up the awesome work.

5739826

Agreed, the letter part should be removed and posted in a later chapter, or just removed.

5741733 Okay, I'll remove it, but I have to make some changes to the beginning since that's the case.

Hmm...

DD's views on Daring Don't? Interesting...

5741742 I feel that I should point out where after Daring Do discovers that the ring is safe and begins cleaning up her home Twilight state Rainbow Dash's name to which where Daring Do may or may have over heard. So if I might make a small suggestion: if Rainbow ever does realize that Daring Do does in fact know her name dispite nobody or should I say "nopony" told her directly & Rainbow desides to ask Daring about the matter later on: you might want to have Daring tell Rainbow that she over heard Princess Twilight mention Rainbow's name while acting like she didn't.

Just a small idea you may or may not concider for later on. In any case I really do love the idea of Daring Do being Rainbow Dash's Mother. ;)

5742172 That was actually something I looked into. Now, you do make a fine point, so I will consider it when I decide to make future chapters.

5742197 Ok. No need to rush though. I'm not really good at all with writing stories: fanfictions or otherwise but I have heard somewhere that a truly good / great story takes both time and patients. ;)

Okay, I have a straight up question for you - do you have an actual plan for where you're going to take this fic? I, personally, know where I'd want to take it, but that's just me.

This fic's current biggest problem is that you are focusing too much on the "DD!Mother-RD", that it simply is too much.

So, my advice to you:
->Don't reveal first chapter. I know the temptation is great, but trust me, the reveal will be worth it if its delayed.
->Limit yourself to the number of references you make to the fact. No need to justify everything Daring does.
->Twist Daring's canon responses slightly, to make her seem more natural. You have the AU tag, nopony's gonna hold it against you.

PM me, I get bored sometimes...:ajsleepy:

Also, I think you should keep going with the story, you just can't let it rest now

5743734 Just to say, your first suggestion is a little late, since everyone who has read it knows.

My personal theory is that Daring Do is Rainbow Dash's madien aunt. This makes more sense because, if you watch the episode "Games Ponies Play", during RD's flashback you see two ponies with rainbow-colored manes that are indirectly presumed to be RD's parents. Also, this help explains why neither one seems to be aware of the relationship between them.

Great start. Keep up the great work. I also think that Daring Do is Rainbow Dash mom.

i strong do think that Daring Do is RD's Mom. i swear if you watch the episode enough, you pick up on things. When they hugged at the end, she looked like she nuzzled RD. And we only saw Rainbow Dash's dad in that Flashback for Equestria games. I really want the writers to bring her back next season. Enough with the new Characters, there a few old characters we need to see more of. We've never seen Fluttershy's family, and im one of those that likes the idea that Scootaloo might be her kid. Who else here agrees on that?

6980724 While I agree that I would like to see Fluttershy's family, I don't think Scoots is Fluttershy's kid. But the show could prove me wrong. They tend to surprise us. As for why I think Daring Do is Rainbow Dash's mother, here are reasons.

1: She has a more mature voice then Rainbow Dash.

2: Her stubbornness is on par with Rainbow's if not a little higher. (Possibly a family trait.)

3: Personalities are similar in nature (Another possible family trait.)

4. Not once did Rainbow Dash mention her name to Daring Do. And I don't think that she heard Twilight say Rainbow Dash's name when her focus was on cleaning up her house.

5. Yes, of course the nuzzle. I mean, how many times have you seen that happen among ponies, aside from close relations. Hugging is one thing, but nuzzling is more of a family thing, and pets are considered part of the family. Also, Rainbow and Scoots have that sister thing going, so that understandable if they nuzzle each other and i- *Stardust blown in the face.* going down. *Plop onto my favorite pillow.*

Luna: Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk. It's time for bed little one. *Picks me up and takes me to the crib.*

Me: *in my sleep* Just put da hay in de appwe and eat da candwe.

6980975 i love that last part you did. Just put the hay in napkin and eat the candle XD. i just loved that episode when Spike tried to handle stuff on Twilight's behalf and kinda botched it. Im rewatching all of Season 4 right now, since Season 6 is supposed to be coming in April, which is funny since that's also when Game of Thrones 6th season also starts. i laughed at that scene in Tanks for the Memories when Twi's like " Prepare yourselves everypony WINTER IS COMING. XD.

I really love this to be continued please!

Is this story going to continue? It's quite interesting what you're doing...

Login or register to comment