• Published 10th Jan 2015
  • 3,365 Views, 12 Comments

Have A Safe Trip, Twilight - ArguingPizza



When Twilight is called away for yet another dangerous adventure, Spike refuses to be left behind again.

  • ...
8
 12
 3,365

Thanks, Spike

“Train ticket?”

“Check.”

“Crown?”

“Check.”

“Long Feather’s Complete Guide to All Things Griffish?”

“Check.”

“Winter saddle, boots, and backup scarf?”

“Check, check, and check.” As she confirmed the final items on the checklist, Twilight Sparkle could not help but wear a smile born of a deep and potentially unhealthy love of organization. She punctuated the completion of the inventory with the mechanical snaps of her suitcase. With everything properly accounted for, packed, and secured, not even a dive off the Canterhorn would upset the contents to any measurable degree.

“That’s everything on the list,” Spike said as he rubbed his poor, abused wrist. “Seriously, Twilight, I get that this trip is a big deal, but triple checking the triple-check checklist is a bit much, even for you.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes and, in a manner reminiscent of a teacher explaining once again that no, two plus two does not not equal fish, said, “Spike, this is more than just ‘a big deal.’” She mimed the air quotes, and the gesture lost a bit of its sting when performed with hooves instead of proper claws or talons.

“This is my first time representing Equestria as a Princess abroad, and I have to make a good impression. If I don’t, the Griffons might think we don’t respect them, and you know how important respect is to the Winglords! They could break diplomatic relations, or cut off trade! That could put thousands of ponies out of work, and then those ponies couldn’t afford to feed their families, and would have to turn to a life of crime to put food on the table, and the Royal Guard would have to be called in to restore order when the local police are overwhelmed my marauding bands of—”

The death spiral of panic was brought to an abrupt end by Spike’s purple claws reaching out and closing Twilight’s mouth. Wide, fearful eyes refocused on the tiny dragon for a moment before recognition dawned and the tension drained from Twilight’s body. Only when he was sure that the disaster had been averted did Spike release his grip.

After a few deep breaths, Twilight smiled at him gratefully. “Thanks, Spike. I guess I’m a little more nervous about this than I thought.”

Spike rolled his eyes and pointed to the trashcan in the corner of Twilight’s bedroom. Dozens of scrolls, each filled to bursting with items as insignificant as ‘correct shower temperature’ and ‘number of corn flakes in breakfast cereal’, overflowed and left the floor carpeted with parchment. He raised an eyebrow.

“You think?”

Twilight sighed and plopped down on her hind legs. As she looked out the large window at her bedside, with the entirety of Ponyville spread out before her, she felt the enthusiasm she had forced herself to feel all morning escape. With the vantage point that the castle provided her, she could see the townsponies going about their business, blissfully unaware of the sword Twilight felt hanging over her head. It was market day, which meant the streets were filled, and the smell of fresh fruit and produce, especially the tantalizing scents coming from Roseluck’s flower stand. It made her stomach growl, despite the breakfast Spike had made her, and she wanted so badly to simply spend the entire day in her bedroom reading and eating junk food to her heart's content.

“It’s… I’m not just nervous, Spike. I'm worried.”

Spike's sarcasm was immediately forgotten, and as he stared at her she continued. “You know how I can get,” she said, gesturing to the mountain of parchment that teetered on the furthest edge of collapse. “I’m going to be on my own, with nopony there to catch me if I... if I have an episode. I’m worried that something will go wrong and I’ll end up making a fool of myself, and embarrass Equestria.”

Spike placed a claw on her shoulder and gave her an encouraging smile. “You know, if you’re so worried, I could always come with you,” he said, and his eyes sparkled hopefully. Twilight shrugged his claw away and scowled down at him.

“Spike, we’ve talked about this. It’s too dangerous, and you’re staying here,” she said with finality, and her words held more truth than Spike was willing to acknowledge.

While her stay with the Griffons would present little more danger than a trip to the market, the journey to reach them would be far more perilous. The Marediterranean Sea that separated Equestria from the Griffon homeland was a temperamental thing, given to frequent and unpredictable bouts of extreme weather. With no pegasi to control the skies, it was nature and wild magic that dictated the mood of the great ocean. Even in calm seas, incomplete or inaccurate nautical charts meant that a ship captained by the unwary or incompetent could easily dash itself to pieces on a shoal hidden mere hooves below the water.

In addition, not only was there the sea itself to content with, there was also the vicious array of beasts that lurked above and below the waves that stood ready to prey on unwary travelers. Rumors of the Kraken, Charybdis, the fearsome Leviathan, and a great score of other perils were shared in strangled whispers among those who sailed upon its darkened waters. Whether real or imagined, the many dangers meant that sailing had always been and remained the most dangerous profession in Equestria, and the long sea voyage was one Twilight would be required to take twice.

Heedless of Twilight’s decision, and of the potential risk to himself, Spike snorted. “If it’s that dangerous, then you shouldn’t be going either, and if it’s not, then there isn’t any reason I shouldn’t be allowed to come.”

As any adolescent would have been, he was utterly convinced of the legitimacy of his argument, and crossed his arms in expectant victory. Twilight was left in the unenviable, but familiar, position nearly all those charged with the care of younger lives find themselves in at one time or another.

“No,” she said, and her hoof was a gavel on the crystal floor. “I’m going because I have to, but it’s too dangerous for you.” She quickly turned away and busied herself in adjusting the straps on her saddlebags. Her hopes that the issue had been put to rest were quickly squashed by an indignant huff and the hot, smoky scent of dragonfire.

“That’s what you always say!” Spike yelled as his tail shook behind him in tune with his protest. “Whenever you go on an adventure, you always say it’s too dangerous and leave me behind. In case you forgot, I’m a dragon, Twilight.”

“Yes, a baby dragon,” she said as she needlessly loosened and tightened the same buckle repeatedly before returning it to its original length. Her attempts to direct her frustration on her baggage bent the buckle sharply, and she forced herself to breath as she used her magic to carefully twisted it back into the correct shape

“So you’re telling me that Fluttershy is better suited to dangerous adventures than me?” he asked in disbelief. With a scowl, he continued, “Remind me, which of us is fireproof? Or covered in thick, armored scales? And which of us is—”

Abruptly, her patience thoroughly exhausted, Twilight whirled on the ranting drake. “Spike, enough! I said you are staying here, and that means you. Are. Staying. Here! Is that clear?

For a brief moment, Spike fought Twilight’s glare with his own, but under the spotlight of anger it was his resolve that faltered first. He found a sudden interest in her hooves, but his shoulders and tail remained tense and shaking.

“Fine.” The single, resentful curse dispelled Twilight’s anger as surely as the ocean does a sandcastle.

“Oh, Spike.” Gently, she reached out a hoof, and when he didn’t immediately recoil, pulled him to her side. They sat together quietly, and the clock continued to tick away the minutes until she would have to depart. Gradually, Spike’s muscles relaxed, and he leaned against her side.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you.” When Spike remained quiet, Twilight sighed and extended a wing over his back, cocooning them together.

“Spike…” she began, and then stopped when the words refused her call. She closed her mouth and swallowed before trying again. “You know when I make you stay here, it’s because I want to protect you, right?”

Spike nodded unwillingly. “I guess, but when you go do dangerous stuff, I have to just sit here and worry about you. And I know I’m only a baby dragon, but I could still help.”

Twilight smiled and rubbed the crown of spikes atop the diminutive drake's head. “I know you could,” she conceded. “And if it wasn’t for you, we wouldn’t have been able to beat Sombra.” Her voice rang with a pride that enticed Spike from his brooding.

“Spike, when you grow up, I have no doubts about all the great things you’re going to do. You’re brave, and kind, and you’re the best friend I’ve ever had. I don’t even want to imagine where I’d be if it wasn’t for you. I certainly wouldn’t have these,” she said as she stretched her free wing to display her plumage. “But for right now, I want you to be able to just enjoy things, and for you to stay safe. Let the world be my problem for now, and when you’re a little older, and a little tougher, we’ll save it together. How’s that sound?”

There was a hard silence as Spike looked away, and for a moment Twilight feared that she had only made the situation worse.

“Promise?” Spike asked suddenly as his eyes refocused on her intensely. In that moment, Twilight knew for certain she was not merely trying to appease her assistant, but that she was making a solemn vow to her best friend.

“I Pinkie Promise,” she said, and quickly mimed the familiar motions, and once again forgot to close her eye before she jabbing it with her hoof. When she blinked the tears away and her vision cleared, she saw Spike standing proudly, his back straight with hard determination.

“Okay, but when I’m big, we stick together. No one gets left behind. Deal?” Spike stuck out his claw, which Twilight quickly filled with her own hoof. At that same moment, the clock, its patience for being ignored long exhausted, chimed to announce noon. Twilight’s pupils shrank to pinpricks.

“Oh my gosh, the train to Baltimare leaves in ten minutes, I’ve gotta go or I'll miss the boat!” Her horn ignited as she gathered her suitcase and saddlebags, only to be extinguished as she felt a scaly weight press into her chest.

“Have a safe trip, Twilight.” Spike’s voice was somewhat muffled my her fur, and obscured as he was, it provided her an easy opportunity to wipe the moisture from her eyes without being seen. Warmth unrelated to the walking furnace embracing her blossomed in her chest, and she returned the hug with a foreleg.

“Thanks, Spike.” They stayed together, neither wanting to be the first to pull away, until Twilight’s phobia of tardiness would allow her to linger no longer. Reluctantly, she dropped her foreleg, and Spike released her after a brief hesitation. With a quick wisp of magic, her saddlebags were secured on her back, and she rushed out the door.

It was in high spirits, and with Spike waving at her from the doorway, that Twilight Sparkle galloped to the train station with her baggage in tow. Had she been running only a bit slower, the townsponies might have been able to see the contented smile she wore.

Comments ( 12 )

I love these simple vignettes between these two. The relationship between Spike and Twilight is the most engaging one in the series, and that is because of the little moments that they share in canon. Sadly, I think that something as direct and powerful as what you've captured in these few words won't be a part of the season premiere but, by God, it should be. Change as vast as what has happened to Twilight sweeps up all around her, and it will have affected Spike more than most. I can't help but think that this story will somehow play in my mind during the commercial break when Twilight leaves him behind to go off on the adventure that the animatics showed us she is going on. Well done indeed.:twilightsmile:

:moustache:"I can clean the kitchen. I can watch hoofball with Big Mac,:eeyup: Smell my feet or go help Rarity at her boutique":raritystarry:

Raritys it is. . .:twilightoops:
:moustache:":raritywink: A Growing dragon has his needs too":facehoof:

Big time sucker for sweetness right here. You get a like and a fav! :heart:

I really didn't enjoy this.
Good writing, but the plot is just bad.

Twilight doing another world saving.
Spike worries.
"Twilight can I co-"
"NO"
Friendship stuff happens.
MY LITTLE PONYYYYYY

Good writing, really, the plot could be better.

5488862

...I'm sorry, but I gotta agree with this guy. The writing is good, great even. But considering the fact that A.) he IS a flipping dragon and has taken more abuse at home with Twilight around then I doubt any Griffin Delegation would be able to bring to bear. B.) Twilight's panic attacks are something Spike has EXTENSIVE experience averting or calming her down from, and makes a great confidant and scribe and finally, C.) ...Crystal. Bucking. Empire. ...honestly, after that, short of Tirek Spike's got the best survivability of any of the Main 6 against most foes. I get that Twilight wants to protect him, but all things considered, she also needs to know he needs life experience beyond librarian, or he'll be gone even longer and further when he finally DOES age enough that she can't coop him up anymore. Or WORSE, he's under-prepared completely for the outside world and something WILL happen to him. In short...I'm sorry, but in this case, I just can't agree with Twilight logic, or that Spike just let's this situation stand.

Like I said nice writing, but was hoping for more character development over fluff.

5489499 completely agree with you, spikes a damn dragon, dragons practically don't age, nothing but tremendous amount of force can't penetrate their scales, again fireproof and breaths fire, even if he's a baby he's still will be a formidable fighter even without experience, I have no doubt that if someone or thing hurt twilight he'd give into his instincts which could have dire consequences for whoever he's cross with, and another thing his argument he used is perfectly logical, he's more mature than prob half of the population and tbh most of the mane 6 as well, you never know what happened to him while he was with celestia and twilight during their stay as students to the princess. His more loyal to twilight then dash and she's the element of loyalty, another thing I'm pretty sure the griffons would know better than attacking a dragon and his family, I know I'd think twice if a dragons involved, you never know a full grown dragon could hear that they hurt a hatchling and they would want revenge, I believe dragons as old ones not like the teens or the ones who give into greed, they'd be furious and the griffins will prob get roasted, I just don't like it when spikes portrayed as a schmuck the story was good and all but I just don't like spike being down played.

5489499
5490051

Pretty sure that Twilight's thinking that all of Spike's dragonny abilities shown thus far wouldn't help him when the ship capsizes in the middle of the ocean. As stated, he's a dragon... not a Siren.

--Spade

5487825 Thank you, I'm a fan of your work and it means a lot that you enjoyed this. I also really enjoy Spike and Twilight's relationship, which to me really feels more real than any other shown canonically. Equestria Girls(I'm not sure what your opinion of it was, but regardless) did a great job showing how they really feel and act with each other.

5494662
Thank you for the compliment! I wish you the best with this work and your future pieces.:twilightsmile:

Twilight said a number of things that I would've loved hearing from her, but before those passages came, the story already had my mind buzzing over how much I hate it when the mane six take off on an excursion and leave him behind. He is more capable of handling danger than most of them. Fluttershy is the one who needs to stay behind more often.

Very, very nice! Fine work indeed.

I reviewed this story!

My review can be found here.

Login or register to comment