• Published 22nd Dec 2014
  • 1,317 Views, 18 Comments

To Get a Christmas Tree - Michael Hudson



Discord goes to get a tree.

  • ...
9
 18
 1,317

Hearthswarming Day

Discord slowly opened his eyes as a nice soothing heat warmed his face. He yawned as his stiff muscles groaned in protest. For a moment he considered going back to sleep, but just like before something was off. He tapped the soft wood beneath him in thought as he tried to figure it out only to then look at the floor. He whipped himself up onto his feet as his mind spun with questions of where he could be. However, his body said no.

Fluttershy burst into the room after having heard a loud crash and saw Discord had moved but now had some of the ornaments on him even though she had tried so hard to keep them off. “Discord, you really shouldn’t be moving. I was lucky that Twilight told me where you probably were, but you were covered in snow. Now please, lay down.”

He looked up at her and felt a shiver run down his spine even though he wasn’t cold. Her soft hooves helped him back into his curl and she placed an ear against his chest for a moment before nodding. She stepped away and Discord craned his neck to watch her go. In his peripheral he saw something he had not expected. A Hearthswarming tree modestly decorated that sat in the corner.

“Where did that come from?”

She walked back in with a bowl of chicken noodle soup and set it in front of him before looking at the tree with him. “Oh. Twilight wouldn’t tell me why, but she did say you were trying to get a tree. After I had seen how hard you had worked at it, I decided it was the right thing to do and asked Applejack to cut me down one. I’m sad that it had to die, but you’re at least happy, right?”

Discord looked down at the soft, turquoise eyes and felt another shiver run through him. For a moment he almost said yes, but choked it down at the last second. The trickster glanced at the tree one more time and stated rather solidly, “I suppose so, though I was really hoping to get it myself. I guess there is one stupid custom you can fulfil that might get me smiling again.”

She glanced up as his tail came around with a small piece of mistletoe hanging on it. Or above them now. She turned from soft yellow to bright red in a mere few milliseconds and stammered out, “Di, Di, Discord?”

“Oh come now, you don’t think this will mean anything to me, right?” He felt a stab of pain in his chest at the words but couldn’t place why. “I just want to see that flustered face near mine.”

She took a deep breath and slowly trotted over. Discord found himself hesitating too but quickly remedied that by sarting forward and locking their lips to each other. For a single moment Discord felt calm, clear, like he didn’t need chaos as long as he possibly had this. The very thought horrified him. They broke free from each other and Fluttershy glanced down. “Anything else you need?”

He bit into his cheek for a moment before lying down. “You invited me over for the holidays right? Why don’t we just stay here then and cuddle like good ponies.” He pat the spot in front of him and smiled as she trotted over.

“Thank you. Honestly, this was all I really wanted to do, so I’m happy you came. Even if you missed most of this week.”

Discord glanced down as the small mare curled up and smiled softly while closing her eyes. He didn’t know what to do. Do what you can then. He summoned up a nice large Hearthswarming quilt and threw it over the two of them. Just as he was snuggling in for a friendly snuggle with Fluttershy he gave a soft sneeze and a single pink butterfly flew out. He stared at it for a moment and then back down at Fluttershy. As reality crashed upon him he knew he should hate this. Knew that he couldn’t possibly believe in something as silly as this. However, a look at the mare who lay there and trusted him, cared for him, told him all he needed to know. He sighed and laid down for a joyous sleep with the one he reluctantly loved.

Author's Note:

prequel. It is on the side as all good sequels should and was written long before this. However, if you want to see them together, go check it out.

Comments ( 10 )

I don't see why this story has a 10:7 rating before I read it, as it's well-written and better than what I write. The story is simple, yes, but I don't think that such a thing would warrant that many downvotes. However, I'd probably say that the interaction between Discord and Thunderlane could do without curse words, as that does feel odd, and the short chapter lengths may be turning people away. Also, I'd recommend changing person/people to pony/ponies in some spots, as I noticed that as well. If it's possible to condense this story into a one-shot, that's what I'd recommend. Anyway, I'll give this an upvote because it did get me to smile at times. I hope your next story does better. Keep on writing. :twilightsmile:

5414140 This is to me a oneshot, I just do away with page breaks now for the most part and use chapter breaks instead unless it is only a small change.

5414154 Fair enough. I can understand why you'd do that. Anyway, I'm sorry that this story wasn't as popular as some of your other stories. Best of luck on your future writings.

5414180 You're welcome.

Simple story, but cute, funny and almost made me feel a bit sorry for Discord. That's not easy to do, mind. ;)

5424513 Second verse same as the first.

I like it, it was sweet.

I did not mean to write a prequel. ooh.

Login or register to comment