• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 2,143 Views, 312 Comments

Rhythm and Harmony: The Octascratch Prompt Collab - lyra_lover777



Various short stories by various authors between 100 and 1500 words obtaining to the love of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch.

  • ...
7
 312
 2,143

PreviousChapters Next
9 Vibrations by Divine Path

Vibrations byDivine Path

Octavia was trotting away. The music simply stopped following her, abruptly. She didn't like it when the music stopped. Not when it always felt so lonely without. Everypony had a music. A song. When she looked at ponies, she could feel them, hear them, hear their music as they trotted about carelessly. Perhaps with a purpose. Vinyl felt lost in the darkness, cold in the darkness where she stood. She could no longer tell where she was. Her sense of time dwindled away with the rest of the song trailing behind the mare.

"If you're so sure of yourself, then go. You don't need me. You never did need me."

She wanted to gallop after her. She wished to chase that black tail and the immaculate grey mare it belonged to. No doubt, the mare would laugh if she learned that Vinyl Scratch would ever use such a formal word. The pristine white DJ was, after all, anything but formal. Vinyl often described herself as a beast. A beast of beats, somepony to bring a more profound livelihood to festivities and to other celebrations.

"That's what you wanted, right?"

And now, here she stood; lost, no longer a beast as she stared hopelessly after the cellist. Suddenly, Vinyl sang, the notes dancing about in her throat and in her chest, as if they were about to rip themselves out of her body. The singing didn't stop. Vinyl continued to sing as more and more notes fled from her song and intertwined with the mare's as they both faded into the distance. Her throat felt dry, yet she continued to sing. Her song become a melodious screech, and a pain started to form softly around her heart, in her lungs. Her throat hurt so much.

"I'll let you do what you want. You're strong enough to handle yourself on your own."

The mare didn't look back. She teased her, she was still perceivable where she trotted in her slow, careless gait. The world started getting darker. The mare trotted on without a care. The song was sung, enveloping her. Vinyl could feel it too. The song was taken from her. She fed her, after all. That mare. She...

With that, the song stopped.


Vinyl awoke sobbing. She gasped, her gaze fearful as she looked about the unfamiliar room, tears were streaming down her eyes with her labored breathing. It was still dark.

She candidly dried her tears with her hoof, noisily blowing her nose on the side of her foreleg. A little "ahem," and she felt almost cool once more.

She realized now that she wasn't in a stranger's home. Last night finally came to mind. Vinyl had always been that kind of filly. Walking about in the dead of night, catching notes and beats, sometimes a little rest. When not gathering, she enjoyed attending parties or performing in them. There were sufficient with beats there.
Vinyl particularly enjoyed beat over note. They seemed much more clear and rememberable. Not like an old lullaby, a transient capriccio, or a distant sonata...

Then there was Octavia. Proud, strong, kind and the little arrogant Octavia. She was the complete opposite of the profound and clear. She was timeless, beautiful, vivid, yet like a dream, and Vinyl couldn't help losing herself just a little in her eyes whenever they would meet hers.
Of course, she knew it was wrong. Not to feel this way, naturally. Vinyl didn't give a dam or hay what any mule of a pony had to say of their relationship. They had been together now for almost six months. What plagued Vinyl so was simply the incessant mind of hers, playing tricks on her, making her lose her cool.

Finally, she could think straight. The darkness was still annoying, but it was at least bearable. Vinyl stepped out of bed, and gazed into the hallway beyond her door. Trotting outside, she could sense the song coming from downstairs, and she could smell something delicious in the same area. Vinyl licked her lips, and promptly made her way down the stairs; "Good morning, Vinyl. Have we slept well?" The comment was accompanied with a little smile, no doubt. Vinyl trotted into the kitchen, abruptly assaulted with a myriad of various smells. Octavia's cooking was something to look forward to, Vinyl recalled swiftly. "Yeah, Octy! I've been just peachy all night long. Particularly during my sleep." The obligatory joke. "Although now that you you mention it, I've been feeling a bit under the weather. I have been yearning for a few octaves to play through my dreams now and then..."

"In your dreams indeed." Octavia rolled her eyes and gave the DJ a peck on the cheek. "Do find yourself a chair, princess charming." And on the horn, Vinyl giggling. "I fear you may contract a dreadful case of baboonitis should you stand about as you are. We must quarantine you to the dining room for now." Octavia turned around and resumed making breakfast. Obediently, Vinyl entered the adjutant space, and found herself a chair on which to wait.

Vinyl sighed. Sometimes, it felt so easy to just pretend. It was difficult, no doubt, but at least she wouldn't feel so bad that she kept it secret. The notes were far more tranquil now. She could keep them somewhat apart. She felt as though she could finally get back into being herself.

"...Are you going to talk about what's wrong?"

Vinyl started. She didn't recognize that note.

"Vinyl, please tell me me what's troubling you."

Everything was wrong. Why was everything wrong? It had been completely fine just a moment earlier.

Vinyl panicked. It was dark. It was dark, again. Vinyl felt a chill travel her spine, her horn itching, her eyes drying up. Nothing made sense. The darkness erased.

"Who are you? How did you get in here?!"

A shocked silence followed. She realized she had made a mistake. "Vinyl? Are you... quite all right?"

"Octy?"

Sweet Celestia, she had ruined everything. It was all over.

An image of a wide-eyed mare blurred into existence. Her coat was grey, her mane black as darkness.
"I-I....O-o-octy?"

Tears streamed both both of their eyes. They streamed down all four. There were no words. Only sadness.
Wordlessly, the song continued. Octavia lunged. Vinyl almost sang with it. Hooves came swiftly, fast and merciless. Suddenly they were around her. The song went on, then—

Vinyl wrapped her hooves around her marefriend. They shared warmth. Vinyl felt she was returning.

The food starting overcooking. Octavia placed a kiss on her marefriend's lips, and the two locked tight their sorrow. It was only them that moment. Octavia, Vinyl, and the ruined breakfast. For now, Vinyl thought, they could sing one song at a time, at a faster pace.

She wept just a little, too.

PreviousChapters Next