• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 2,138 Views, 312 Comments

Rhythm and Harmony: The Octascratch Prompt Collab - lyra_lover777



Various short stories by various authors between 100 and 1500 words obtaining to the love of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch.

  • ...
7
 312
 2,138

PreviousChapters Next
41 Sparkle by bahatumay

Sparkle by bahatumay

Octavia exhaled in relief as her apartment came into view. Not that she had any fear she wouldn't make it home, of course; but being home after a long rehearsal and an even longer walk home through snow and slush just felt good. She already had plans of lounging gracefully in front of a pleasant fire in fireplace.

That pleasant feeling evaporated as soon as she neared her door. Her door had been opened recently.

She set down her cello case and quietly opened the door, preparing to attack if necessary to defend her house and her honor.

Her hoof crushed something, and she looked down. To her surprise, rose petals littered the floor, laid down in a path deeper into her apartment. Her eyes widened, then narrowed. Now fearless (but with a wry smile on her face), she pulled her cello inside, shut (and locked) the door behind her, and followed the rose petal road.

It wound around through the kitchen, where a lovely dinner with sparkling cider (she hadn't had a good experience with alcohol) sat, waiting. Smiling, she shook her head and continued to follow the path. It ended at the door to her bedroom. She leaned down and pushed it open with her head.

There on her bed lay a beautiful white unicorn, her very own Vinyl Scratch. She had brushed her coat until it quite literally sparkled, and she had pulled her mane back. Though it was still large and for the most part uncontrollable, it had been tied back out of her face, revealing both of her light eyes sparkling in the darkness. Her tail had been similarly attended to, and had been brushed until it, too, shone in the candlelight. She wore the striped socks Octavia had given her as a gag gift for last Hearth's Warming, though the effect seemed to work well in the flickering light.

"Tavi!" she shouted excitedly, her loud voice a stark contrast from the sensuality of the setup. She jumped off the bed and bounded over. She grabbed Octavia's face and began peppering it with kisses. Then, as if remembering her manners, she stopped, took a tiny step back, and began kissing her slowly, more tenderly. She started at her forehead, then trailed down to the tip of her nose. She brushed against Octavia's cheek.

Octavia had been enjoying this attention, but she had to speak. "Vinyl?"

"Mhm... What?" Vinyl asked, ducking her head and switching sides so she could kiss Octavia's other cheek before heading down towards her neck.

"Our anniversary is tomorrow, Vinyl."

Vinyl pulled back and squinted. "No..." she said. Then she cracked a smile and chuckled. "Oh, good one. You almost had me going there, Octi," she laughed, nudging her with a sock-covered foreleg.

"It's true," Octavia said with a half-smile. "You work nights, Vinyl. Your mental calendar is always one day behind, remember?"

"No. No way. It's..." Vinyl sat down and mentally began running through her days. Her eyes widened. "Oh, no," she whispered.

Octavia nodded regretfully.

Vinyl exhaled in defeat. She slowly pushed herself to her hooves, but was unable to bring herself to face Octavia. "I really thought it was tonight," she said. "I've got something booked tomorrow and I don't think I can back out now."

"It's fine," Octavia said, coming up and nuzzling her cheek from behind. "I promise."

"Are you sure?" Vinyl asked. "I know how much you like everything to be done on time, and this is... well... it's early, which I guess is better than being late, but..."

"I promise, it's fine," Octavia repeated.

Vinyl lit her horn and took a step forward. "Because I could totally put this away and I could try and put it back out tomorr-"

She was cut off as Octavia grabbed her tail and gave it a forceful tug. "Don't you dare," she growled.

Vinyl grinned and pulled her tail out of Octavia's mouth, flicking it higher and keeping it there a bit longer than strictly necessary. "Whatever you say, Tavi," she said. "So... where was I?"

Octavia undid her bow tie and let it fall to the floor. She raised a hoof and brushed against a spot on her neck. "Right about here," she said.

Vinyl grinned. This she could work with.

PreviousChapters Next