• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 1,171 Views, 29 Comments

Mechanequus - kudzuhaiku



A construct from a forgotten time has awoke at last to hear my rhyme. I must teach it, I cannot fail, do come closer, and listen to this tale.

  • ...
6
 29
 1,171

I, Zecora

I looked at the mechanical entity and studied it as it stood watching me, waiting for me to tell it its purpose. What do I tell it? I barely understood my own purpose at times. I am just a zebra far from home, and it believes I am the sun goddess because of my tribal markers.

“Mechanequus would you be so kind, could you lend a hoof to ponykind?” I said to the mechanical construct.

“What do I do?” he replied, letting go another puff of steam from just under his tail as he spoke.

I did not know what to say or how to reply. I did not know what he was capable of. He seemed so eager to please however, and I felt terrible about my inability to offer better instruction.

“I will tell you this, you must do no harm, now come with me, we’re off to the apple farm,” I instructed, trotting off to meet with Applejack, who could probably use the help.

“Do no harm. To what?” the construct asked as it trotted along behind me, clanking riotously.

“Swear to me and with a promise bind, you will do no harm to ponykind,” I stated, looking back over my shoulder at my new companion.

“I am not allowed to harm ponies. That is within my directives,” Mechanequus replied.

I nodded, feeling secure with my new companion. I did not understand him, but I did know a little bit about golems. I had studied zebra-lore considerably, and we had our own golems that we made, which were bound by the instructions of their creators.

We trotted through the forest together, and I led the way. Nothing disturbed us, which was pleasant for a change, there was no running, no hiding, or having to use magical powders as a defense. Everywhere we went, the local wildlife departed, leaving the Everfree Forest quiet and tranquil.

After a long but pleasant walk, we neared the apple farm, my companion occasionally tooting to relieve pressure. He was quiet and somehow seemed thoughtful, even though he was a machine.

There’s a thought that will keep me up late, can this construct contemplate? I thought to myself. I studied my companion further. I could not shake the feeling that he was thinking.

I saw the orange mare that I was looking for bucking an apple tree and causing a shower of apples to fall down into well placed buckets.

“Applejack, before you yelp, he is friendly, and here to help,” I said in greeting, gesturing to Mechanequus.

Applejack took off her hat, she wiped her brow, and then she began to size up my companion. She looked worried, irritated, and somewhat afraid.

“Nope, no I don’t think so,” Applejack said. “If he applebucks a tree, he’ll kick it to splinters. That’s no help, that’s a hinderance to me. I can’t have no robot pony destroying my trees. Where’d you get that robot pony anyways?”

A tough question, difficult to put in rhyme for answer. “Seeking purpose he found me… he emerged from within the Everfree.”

“Uh huh,” Applejack acknowledged, nodding her head. “I think I’ll stick with the earth pony way of doing things, no offense,” she said. “I have a lot to get done. Please excuse me.”

Feeling dejected, I hung my head. My new companion would have to find purpose and function elsewhere. Perhaps he would be useful in Ponyville.

This is a bad idea so please have a care, you must remember how they felt about one zebra mare I mentally reminded myself. I turned trail and began to trot towards town, leaving the orange mare behind to do her work the earth pony way as she had requested. At least she was no longer openly hostile, but I still got the feeling that she didn’t trust me very much, which made me sad.

I fled rejection, much like I had fled my homeland, looking for something better, something with more meaning and purpose. I was very much like my mechanical equine companion. I still had not found what the purpose of my life was, even though I spent every day looking. So desperate was my search that I had lapsed into becoming what was called a marabout in my own native tongue, or what the locals called a hermit.

Mechanequus followed me, and on his face I could somehow see emotion. I am not sure how, perhaps I was projecting my own feelings upon him. But for a moment, I was certain that I could see rejection upon his cold metallic features and sadness in his soulless eyes.

I began to fear that there would be no purpose to be had for either of us. It was a dreadful thought, one that filled me with apprehension and worry. Ponies were still afraid of me, skittish, and I feared that I would never truly find acceptance.

The walk was devoid of any conversation, the only sounds were made by my hooves and the clanking of my automatonous companion, who occasionally lifted his tail to vent a quantity of steam from his exhaust port.

As I walked, I pondered why the walk to Ponyville always seemed so long, while the walk home always seemed so short. It was a mystery that I had yet to figure out, and it was something I often thought about as I traversed these roads.

There was another toot from my companion, which distracted me, snapping me from my reverie. Ponyville loomed before me, we would reach the edge of town soon. Perhaps Twilight Sparkle would have knowledge of my companion, or at least have a useful purpose for him.

“Soon my friend we shall have some explanation, we are bound to find some purpose here in civilisation,” I announced.

Reaching the edge of town, I smiled, glad to see ponies.

Sadly, the ponies were not glad to see me.

Three ponies I knew, the flower trio, Lily Valley, Daisy, and Rose, ponies who lived in fear of everything, took one look at my companion and began shrieking. Their fear was contagious. Soon, everypony nearby was screaming and fleeing, and a stampeding herd had formed. I shaked my head sadly, realising there would be nothing to be gained by staying here. My head drooped and I cast my eyes sideways to look at my companion.

“Mechanequus, this was not meant to be, we should depart at once for the Everfree. I was wrong to have such hope, with this sadness I cannot cope. We both are feared without compunction, they will not accept you or your function. Do not worry and don’t you fret, I will find a purpose for you yet. It was a mistake to leave our wood, so let’s go home where you can still do some good,” I said, my final parting words to Ponyville, where I was not sure if I would ever return.

Author's Note:

This started off as something else, and over time, it changed. I rewrote this chapter at least a hundred times, struggling with the first perspective aspect of writing, something I am not well practiced in. Each time I wrote it, I got inside Zecora's head a little more. Eventually, I ended up here. I have no earthly idea if I wrote this well or not. I don't know if I slipped out of the proper perspective or if I screwed up. But something about it finally felt right to me. It stopped being a comedy, so I removed the tag. The next chapter will be called "I, Mechanequus" and hopefully it shouldn't take as long for me to finish.

Feedback on the first person aspect is much appreciated, as it will help future work.

Comments ( 10 )

Oh look, the first downvote, seconds after the update was posted.

Somebody didn't even bother to read it. How unfortunate that some inconsiderate dickless wonder had to be an asshole.

No kidding. At least it's the only one so far, heh.

You seem to be doing alright with the first-person POV to me. I can hardly imagine rewriting something that many times, but what you have here works pretty well (at least in my opinion). I think Zecora's a hard one to write for, even more so as the narrator, and you've done a better job of it than a lot of third-person writing I've seen.

Only one thing tripped me up and that was "automatonous" instead of "autonomous companion" or "automaton companion". Not sure if you were trying to mash those together on purpose, or what.

4533796

Not a common US word, more common in Europe and the U.K.

Sorry about that, I really liked the word and just had to include it because of, well, its wordiness.

4533881
I see. I tried looking it up with google and just got a "Did you mean...?" so I figured it was either a mistake or deliberately incorrect. It wasn't really a problem, it was still obvious what you meant - I just tend to stumble on things that don't "seem right". :twilightblush:

4533918

Wow, you are right.

I think I pulled it out of a words you are sure to win with while playing Scrabble type book.

4533734 wait seconds? literally seconds?

Geebus whats wrong with people these days? at least READ it and leave constructive criticism

I wonder what must have happened to the flower trio for them to be so... startle able.


4533734 Don't sweat it, there are always assholes everywhere. I can't figure out what they hate about this fic, I'm finding it an interesting read. :pinkiesmile:

I really loved this take on Zecora. Most of the time, she's just pony-Yoda, the mysterious mentor in the wild who dispenses wise couplets like a poetic fortune cookie factory. Here you've peeled back that facade and revealed the insecure, avoidant mare who logically lies beneath it. It makes sense, and that's what I love to see in headcanon.

Also, given some interpretations of Apple Bloom's talent, I'd love to see Applejack's face should her little sister start building robots.

In any case, looking forward to more. I just hope Zecora doesn't end up applying all of Asimov's laws. Those things never lead anywhere good.

people are arses sometimes cant let that bug ya kudz hope you continue this.

... what is that word? Reminds me of Mechanicus.

Login or register to comment