• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 5,886 Views, 157 Comments

Bigger Than Mac - DraconequusMaximus



Spike & Big Mac have gotten pretty close over the years, bonding while the girls were off saving the world. They finally admit their feelings for one another, as soon as Spike comes of age, but they hit a snag in their relationship. A BIG one.

  • ...
63
 157
 5,886

Royal Conference

Spike had been trying to catch his friends in the act of whatever they had been doing since the party. He hadn't been able to learn anything new, being unable to fit through the door of their residences was proving quite a hindrance. He wasn't able to search much at all in the last few days, as he was preparing for his first royal conference.

Every six months the royalty of Equestria and the Crystal Empire got together to discuss important matters. Now that Spike was known as a prince and Blueblood had been canned he would be taking part in it.

Macintosh would be staying in the castle during the conference, as only royalty was allowed inside. Spike hadn't actually been into the chamber it was held in before, it was the only area in Canterlot Castle he was unfamiliar with. His mother had told him that he would only be allowed in should he decide to take on the responsibilities of royalty. Spike was going now to figure out exactly what his responsibilities would be.

Spike was currently far above the city, looking down at the numerous tall buildings of his hometown. Macintosh was strapped to his back by the safety harness he had obtained He trusted Spike completely, but earth ponies just weren't meant to fly. Spike was sure to take things as easily as he could, which Mac appreciated greatly. The landing was harder than normal, Canterlot was more crowded than most places, so precision was key.

"Aaaand there we go Mac, back on solid ground." Spike told the shaky stallion as he descended to the balcony of his former room.

"Thank Celestia." Mac sighed as he fiddled with the straps of the harness. He was so focused on the task that he failed to notice the alicorn standing several feet away from them.

"Your welcome." Celestia chimed back smugly. Macintosh had just managed to undo the last buckle at that exact moment, he fell from Spike's back in surprise.

"Nice mom, concuss your son's coltfriend." Spike said sarcastically as he picked Macintosh up from the floor with his dexterous tail.

"He set me up, I couldn't resist." She replied with a smirk.

"Yeah, yeah, let's get moving. The conference is supposed to start as soon as everypony is here right?" Spike asked.

"Yes, and I do believe you are the last one to arrive. Let's be on our way." Celestia replied as she opened the door with magic.

"You gonna be alright here Mac?" Spike asked the stallion who had already recovered.

"Eeyup." Mac replied as he made himself comfortable on the bed on the other side of the room.

With that, Spike followed his mother into the deepest parts of the castle. This was the only place in Canterlot that led even lower than the crystalline caverns. His mother had spoken of it before, she had once said that if the whole of Canterlot were obliterated you would feel nothing from the depths of the conference chamber.

Such security was necessary, as all the royalty of the land being in one spot was asking for trouble. After a lengthy elevator ride they arrived in a small chamber with only one door. The walls and the door itself were covered in runes, most likely some form of protection from magic.

Celestia calmly approached the door and touched it with her golden shod hoof. The door's runes lit up, but only specific ones forming a golden sun. It slid open revealing a chamber with a large circle of occupied cushions on the floor.

Aside from the cushions the room was terribly plain. Rough stone walls, and a stone floor worn down by hooves in metal over time. The other royal ponies, Discord, and Rarity and Trixie were already upon the cushions. Spike raised his brow in confusion before turning to his mother.

"Why are Rarity and Trixie here? I thought only royalty was allowed to know about this place?" He asked unsure of what was happening.

"Normally yes, but we have need of trustworthy unicorns of reasonable skill for a special task today." Celestia said warmly as she took her own seat on an orange cushion between Luna and Cadence.

Those words stuck in his head.

Twilight said something about the other princesses and powerful unicorns. Something about the secret project. He was mentally kicking himself for not making the connection until now.

The royal family is the greatest collection of magic users in the world whether they be alicorns, unicorns, or Discord. Spike wasn't sure what Discord's political role was, but he was here.

"This has something to do with whatever Twilight has been doing with the package Discord sent her, doesn't it?" Spike said looking directly to the young alicorn.

"Indeed nephew, we had our suspicions that you were on to us. I noticed you slipping away during your party. I meant to distract you, but the current bearer of laughter needed to be put in her place." Luna answered with a smug smile.

"Please understand, we wanted to tell you, but Macintosh is the one that thought of this and he wanted it to be a surprise." Twilight said as she levitated a large bag from her side to Spike.

Spike took the bag and opened it, finding a large silvery-white metal chest piece similar to the one each of the princesses wore. It was much too large for a pony, but it was just right for him. Curiously, there was a large circular abscess in the front, as if there was something made to fit into it. He was even more confused than he had been.

"So, Macintosh wanted me to have jewelry? What does regalia have to do with magic?" Spike asked as he donned the unusual armament.

"That is made of magically refined orichalcum, that's what was in the package Discord sent me. Orichalcum is the only material powerful enough to interact with dragon magic directly." Twilight explained.

"Macintosh informed me that you promised to protect Equestria and it's ponies in the future. Dragons grow to be immense creatures of nearly unstoppable power when they get old enough. We all know you and that you would never intentionally harm anypony. However, in the future you will be far to large to stay in close proximity to civilization and ponies would fear you." Celestia explained sadly.

"Actually, Big Red came to me first. He hoped that since I can use magic to do whatever I want and that I'm part dragon I'd be able to teach you how to make yourself smaller so you wouldn't have to worry. But unfortunately my magic is completely unique and very unlike dragon magic. But I told him that I'd give sparkle butt a big ol' hunk of orichalcum to see if she could whip something up." Discord continued on from where Celestia left off.

"As it so happens, I did manage to make you something to control your size. Orichalcum is the most magical natural element, and reacts well to dragon magic as we saw when you were malnourished after the growth spurt. The issue was how to control the connection, without your magic getting greedy and leeching the power back out of the orichalcum." Twilight lectured from her seat.

"Okay, so I'm wearing it right now, should I be worried?" Spike asked as he looked at the seemingly inactive device.

"No, your magic is mostly inert at the moment. It wouldn't matter until your next growth spurt. I tried using the fire ruby you gave Rarity after she suggested it, but even though you nurtured it for weeks the connection to you wasn't strong enough. After awhile I realized the best way for the orichalcum to bond with you and be recognized as a part of you was to actually bond it with a piece of you before the rest." Twilight explained.

"So... do you need a fang or something? I've got plenty, and they grow back pretty fast." Spike asked as he readied himself to pull a tooth.

"That won't be necessary, your mother provided the perfect conduit to sync you with the regalia." When Twilight finished, she took a pendant with a cog-like design at the base from beneath her wing and levitated it into the empty spot on the chest piece.

It clicked into place, and turned for a moment before stopping with another click. It still protruded a bit awkwardly from the front, but didn't seem like it was going anywhere.

Spike took a look at the now completed regalia. The pendant was the same metal, but in the center was a smooth rounded stone of purple with darker purple spots arranged randomly. It seemed strangely familiar.

"What exactly is this?" Spike asked his mother.

"That, my son is the lower part of the egg Twilight hatched you from. After you were born I reassembled the pieces as best as I could with magic, to be a keepsake. The lower half was the most perfect. Twilight believes that it can bond with the metal and allow it to bond to you, then the orichalcum will be able to control how much magic you have at any given time. It can contain more power than anything else we could use, more than even a dragon could possess." His mother replied, much happier than before.

"So if it's ready, why do we need everybody's magic?" Spike asked looking at the assembled mages.

"It needs a jump start to bond to you properly, and your body is extremely resistant to magic. We need everybody we can spare to make sure it goes smoothly, after that you won't be able to take it off, but you'll never need to worry about size again." Twilight said gesturing to the others.

"Of course we won't force you into this. It is for your benifit, but the decision is yours." Luna added.

"Well hopefully he goes for it, I've already started making dragon action figures for when he becomes Equestria's newest hero. Gonna rake in the bits." Discord said pulling a colorful box from his ear, inside was a small toy that looked like an over-muscled Spike.

Spike was silent, he was looking down at his new accesory. Spike had indeed promised to protect future generations of Equestrians, but hadn't considered the facts. He was unsure if he could handle the masses fleeing in terror at the sight of him. He was guaranteed to grow every couple decades, eventually he'd get too big to help with anything but leveling mountains.

That was probably centuries away, but it was still cause for concern. Macintosh was always worrying about him, he should have known that whatever was going on was for the best. Macintosh had nothing but love for Spike, and now he felt guilty for trying to spoil the most thoughtful gift he would ever receive.

"Let's do it. I never want to leave Equestria, and especially not my family." Spike said with a tone of absolute finality.

"I had hoped that was what you would choose Spike. As the co-rulers of Equestria and It's greatest ally, the Crystal Empire. We declare you Crown Prince Sullivan Amadeus Equestria to be knight protector of our lands and guardian of harmony." Celestia said as she shed a single tear of liquid pride.

Spike bowed as best he could, his height was greater than his mother's at the moment. The sentiment however did not go unappreciated. Several of the other ponies in the room didn't know Spike's full name until now, but withheld their surprise.

"Now then, let us begin the ritual. Princess Sparkle, as you have designed the apparatus and process to activate it, please instruct us." Luna beckoned.

"It's quite simple, everything is ready, all we need is for everypony to channel the magic directly into the eggshell pendant." Twilight said as she lit her horn.

The others all lit their horns as well, and Discord's own aura manifested itself on his pointer talon. The assortment of different colored magics all began flowing into the chest piece, coalescing into white light surrounding the pendant in the center. Spike could feel the device becoming a part of him.

As he looked at the pendant he saw it turn again as it receded back into the port made for it, leaving just enough protruding for him to grip properly. He felt the incredible amount of power so dangerously close to him, but wasn't worried. He trusted these ponies completely, even Discord. With a final click the pendant stopped turning and shined no more.

"Stop, it's done!" Twilight yelled to the assembled spell casters.

Everypony sighed in relief, the experience had been draining. Even Discord with his massive reserves of arcane energy seemed a tad winded. Celestia and Luna silently hoped that they still had enough stamina within them to exchange the celestial bodies later on.

Shining Armor was making sure Cadence was alright, and Twilight was doing the same for Trixie. Rarity was definitely tired, but was holding up well. Spike was a bit dizzy and had a strange taste in his mouth, but was otherwise fine.

"Well, that was something." Spike said as he sniffed the air, "Does anypony else smell fudge?"

"That's just the effect of the air being magically charged to such a degree. How are you feeling Spike?" Celestia asked her son in concern.

"Honestly? I've had worse hangovers than this. I was expecting it to hurt or something." He replied with a shrug.

"Well, you should be set now. Turn the pendant to the your right to shrink, and to your left to grow." Twilight instructed from her seat that was currently shared with Trixie.

Spike instinctively followed her instruction and turned it to his left, to no effect. He tapped the pendant several times experimentally with a claw, and still nothing happened.

"Twilight, I don't feel any bigger." Spike said in disappointment.

"That's because the device only regulates the flow of your existing magic. You won't be able to grow until your next spurt when your magic increases again. Until then, you can only shrink and return to your normal size.

The size you would be without the device is always going to be your maximum. The device should always change size with you too, so you don't have to worry about it choking you to death when you grow again or anything." Twilight explained.

"Hadn't actually worried about that till now, thanks." Spike replied sarcastically. He turned the device to his right this time and instantly felt odd.

It didn't hurt like his abrupt spurt of growth had, but it felt different than anything he had ever felt before. The closest thing he could think to compare it to was being wrapped in a very warm, very wet blanket. The feeling covered every inch of his being, until it suddenly stopped.

He looked himself over, he seemed exactly the same, just smaller. He looked over at the others, he seemed to be about the same size as Luna judging by the small effort it took to meet her eyes.

"Well, that was weird, but pretty cool." Spike said as he gave his wings a flap to be certain they worked properly, "I can go in buildings and stuff again, it's great!"

Spike stretched his body properly, making sure there were no unusual pains. He even popped the numerous vertebra in his neck out of habit. He marveled at the amazing feat Twilight had accomplished with only a vague idea to go off of.

"I need to go see Mac, without him this wouldn't have happened. Thanks everypony, I can't tell you how happy you've made me." Spike said as he walked to the door with no handle or knob.

He was immediately struck with the realization that he had no idea how to open it. Luna sensed his plight and trotted up to him, placing her silver shod hoof on the door. Some of the countless runes on the door glowed white, forming a crescent moon. The door slid open.

"We will see to it that you are granted access on your own before the next conference. Go to your stallion." Luna said with a warm smile. Spike nodded before making his way to the lift.

It took much too long for his liking, but eventually he made it back into the castle proper. He took all the shortcuts he had learned in his youth, cutting the time necessary for getting to his lover. Soon he was standing in front of the doorway to the room he spent his earlier years in.

He froze as his mind seemed to leave him. Now that he was here, he had no idea what to say to Macintosh once he saw him. He took a moment to collect his thoughts.

Hi, thanks for essentially saving my future? No, that's stupid. Thank you Mac, wanna see how small I can get?. Eenope. Ugh, I wish they made hoofmark cards for stuff like this... Wait! I've got it!

-MEANWHILE-

Macintosh was sitting on the bed, staring at the door. He knew Spike had been standing there for several minutes, he could see his clawed feet blocking the light coming from outside of the room. Mac had no doubt that Twilight's crazy magic collar thing would work. But he also knew Spike was probably at a loss for what to say.

Macintosh couldn't blame him, he wasn't sure what he would say in a situation like this himself. Without warning the door burst open and Spike was seen on his back legs with his arms stretched out to his sides.

"Honey, I'm home!" Spike said with a wide smile.

Mac just took in the scene for a moment. Spike was wearing the thing Twilight had told him about, and seemed much smaller than he had been. He was only a tad bigger than Mac himself now. This combined with the ridiculous pose and unexpected line caused Macintosh to force back the laughter brewing within him.

"Aw come on, I spent like ten minutes on that." Spike said as his smile wavered and the fins that served as his ears fell.

"Nah, sorry. Ah just wasn't expectin that." Mac said as he righted himself.

"Okay, yeah that could have gone better. But either way, I just want you to know that I can't thank you enough for what you did." Spike replied as he walked to the bed where Macintosh lay.

"Ya don't need t' thank me. Ah didn' make the thing, or even think a' it. Ah just gave somepony else an idea." Macintosh said as Spike climbed onto the bed.

"Yeah, and I couldn't live my life in Equestria forever without your help. Not just with this, but everything. If you hadn't told me you loved me I might have left Equestria when everypony passed.

Now, even when you and the girls pass, me and the princesses will have family to look after. And now, I can take care of Equestria without accidentally destroying anything. I owe you everything, and I'm going to give you myself for as long as I can." Spike said pulling closer to the red stallion, nuzzling him with affection.

"Spike? Do ya mean?" Macintosh said looking to his love with wide eyes.

"Yes, I know it's pretty early to be asking this of you, but given the situation..." Spike said before taking a deep breath and releasing it to calm himself, "Macintosh Apple, would you marry me?"

Big Mac had never been one for words, and often only used one when possible. This was thankfully one of those times.

"Eeyup."

Author's Note:

Okay, so I've been planning this for awhile but found it difficult to put to words. My idea for the collar thing evolved from me watching Ben 10 while writing awhile back. The original series, not the crappy newer series.
Anyway, feel free to suggest a name for the collar as Twilight will name it in the sequel.
The eggshell idea I got from some other story I read where Celestia kept it like mothers who keep baby teeth and stuff and a sci-fi movie I saw the other day where they used a vial of blood taken from a person that got mutated at the beginning of the movie to restore their genetic code by using it as a template.
Idk, not super happy with this chapter but I've looked it over a ton of times and I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe I'm just being critical of myself? Dunno, but if I don't make mistakes I can't get better.
Also hoofmark cards alludes to hallmark cards, and brownie points to the first person to get the "Does anyone else smell fudge?" reference.

So yeah, taking a couple days off to brainstorm for the sequel.

Comments ( 22 )
Comment posted by The Orange Nebula deleted Apr 25th, 2014

.....ok then
not the most romantic way to propose but its still a way.
so adopted kids for sequel?

For Twilight it would be a long name. Dragon Orichalum Size Mechanism or DOSM. Your choice for the name. Best of luck.

Yay. And now that [REDACTED], he can be [REDACTED] for some [NOT THE DROIDS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR].

4287165 Yes, but the acronym should spell out something silly or crude that will make everypony laugh at Spike for wearing it. Or more specifically Pinkie and Rainbow.

4287180 Sssh! You'll spoil it! I was gonna talk about that in the sequel!

4287181

Power Oscillating Orichalcum Factor. (POOF)
Functional Restraint Under Intense Thaumaturgy. (FRUIT)

I really enjoyed this. Nice soft romance was what I was hoping for and it's what I got. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Of course my Dyslexia kicks in at the end and I read

Eenope

Damn near choked to death on the ice cream i'm eating.

mabye it is the pasing that is bugging you, this one does seem alot faster than the rest near the end, hope that helps

love the story so far by the way

Best chapter.... Ever! :yay:

I really did enjoy this read, from start to finish. Just one or two grammatical touches could be done but that's basically it. I enjoyed this and I'm eager for the sequel. :yay:

Yay! So freaking amazing!

I'm always down for a big gay wedding!

So I really enjoyed this story, along with its sequel (so far). I won't repeat the suggestions I wrote on the sequel, so I'll just say a few more things.

This story's only downfall, in my opinion, was setting up the SpikeMac a little too quickly in the beginning. However, this may be my own personal bias; I'm not a huge fan of shipping stories where we start with the couple being together already, or the couple's getting together isn't thoroughly developed. So, take that criticism with a grain of salt.

That aside, the pacing could use a little work, and the story could be fleshed-out a bit more. As it is, though, it was a very fun little read. It was cute, it was silly, it was heartwarming. You had everypony pretty much in character and you had some nice world-building about dragons, as well as the Crystal Empire. (I REALLY want Sombra's bed. :rainbowlaugh:)

Just keep in mind for the sequel and any other future works that you want to aim for vivid scenes and good development without dragging and/or blitzing through the story. That's a delicate balance that I'm working on myself, so... again, grain of salt.

Anyhoo, thanks for making this. It was awesome! :eeyup::moustache:

4859040

Guess I'll keep my comments to myself?

>>DraconequusMaximus

OMG DRACONEQUUESMAXIMUS ITS NOW CANNON THAT SPIKE AND BIG MAC HUNG OUT WITH EACH OTHER DURING THE MANE 6's ADVENTURES OMMG!

5822722 I know~! It was a good day for headcanon. :yay:

For something that I'd normally call a crack-ship this is surprisingly well-done. I like the characters, the relationships, all the little things that don't mean much on their own, but add up to form a much greater story. I do have one question though... I thought Spike would be even more popular in the Crystal Empire? I mean, after he helped stopped Sombra they pretty much adored him, then he rescued the Equestria Games from an icy meteor. Considering how much they were freaking out about him before, I have no idea what they'd be like now, but I'm betting it'd be more than a simple but warm reception.

Also his new appearance, size, and status as royalty would probably all be factors in that. Meh, it's your story, don't mind me, I just thought that scene was really weird considering how much the Crystal Empire seems to adore Spike and his usual love/hate relationship with said adoration. Also, Spike probably hasn't figured this out himself yet, but thus far him being outted as royalty has resulted in some downright amazing PR.

7286697 Thank you! And this story was conceived before the Equestria Games. I can't remember if I grandfathered in something about it or not, but this was written not long after season 3 ended or right before 4? I can't recall.

7287066
Ah, that would explain it.

Login or register to comment