• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 5,879 Views, 157 Comments

Bigger Than Mac - DraconequusMaximus



Spike & Big Mac have gotten pretty close over the years, bonding while the girls were off saving the world. They finally admit their feelings for one another, as soon as Spike comes of age, but they hit a snag in their relationship. A BIG one.

  • ...
63
 157
 5,879

Vacation Extended

Spike and Macintosh had spent a week in the Crystal Empire before getting back on the train. They had intended to head straight for Ponyville, but Spike had burped up a letter from his mother halfway there. As it turned out, the staff working on their home had hit a snag with the plumbing.

The pair wouldn't be able to go back for at least three days, they needed to put the septic tank directly under the barn as it was the only spot the roots of the countless apple trees were sparse enough. They had attempted to dig further from the barn and had damaged the roots of a tree.

The foreman was still recovering from a sudden case of bucks to the head, courtesy of Applejack. The pair would be staying in Canterlot with Spike's family until they could head back.

"So, we're gonna be stayin in yer old room?" Mac said looking up at the enormity of Canterlot Castle.

"Yeah, we'll get to see Mom, Aunt Luna and Discord I guess." Spike said as they walked through the gate. Spike was significantly slower than normal, as he was walking on his back legs hefting Sombra's bed in his arms.

"Ah still can't believe ya took that." Mac said stopping from his position several yards ahead of Spike.

"They said we could take it if I could carry it. Not my fault that they underestimated my awesomeness." Spike replied as he tried to look past the unnaturally comfortable bed.

Mac rolled his eyes as they walked through the large doors into the palace. The guards recognized Spike right away and knew Macintosh from the tabloids. Several of them waved, Spike had always been on good terms with the castle staff and had even helped them with their duties when he was younger, or at least kept them company. Princess Celestia met them at the main stairwell with a warm smile.

"Hello boys, so good to see you. I see you've already been furniture shopping for your new house." She said lifting the bed into the air with her magic. Spike returned to his normal quadruped state and rolled his shoulders.

"Yeah, a Sombra original with phoenix down pillows. Best sleep I've ever had." Spike replied.

"Really? Never would have thought. I'll just put it into your room for the moment." She said before making it vanish in a golden flash.

"Pleasure t' see ya again Celestia." Mac said with a short bow.

"It's nice being able to talk to you two like a mother would while in public. Honestly, the only reason that I had it kept a secret was to protect you. Now it would be silly to think you can't protect yourself." She said as she walked down the stairs.

She stopped directly in front of the pair and pulled them into a big hug. Spike smiled widely, but Mac was slightly uncomfortable. He knew Celestia was still a pony, and most likely eventually his mother-in-law, but she was also a seemingly ageless demigod that ruled his country. On top of that his family was forever indebted to her for giving his great-grandparents their home where the Apple family still lived to this day.

"So, where's-" Spike began, but was halted by a thunderous bang of doors slamming outward at the top of the stairs. A navy blue alicorn jumped from the top of the stairs and glided down to the group.

"Nephew, Macintosh it is good to see thee. We did not have long to talk during our last encounter." Luna said while joining the hug.

Contrary to popular belief Celestia was not the strongest of the royal sisters, Luna though smaller was liable to crush you with a hug if she wasn't careful, even Spike felt it.

"Luna, could you please stop. Macintosh is mortal." Celestia struggled to say. The group was dropped immediately by the lunar alicorn.

"Our apologies, we forget our subjects are less durable than us." Luna said as she helped the crimson stallion right himself.

"S'okay ah don't break easily." Mac said as he looked to Spike. Spike's face reddened considerably and he looked away.

"Oh please Spike, all of Ponyville knows about it, Twilight says you can hear the roars for miles. That's why I'm soundproofing your house." Celestia said after rolling her eyes.

"Okay, so, now this officially the most embarrassing conversation I've ever had." Spike said hanging his head under the weight of the sheer discomfort.

"Nephew, me and my sister are each at least thirty-five hundred years old each. We have had our fair share of life experiences. There is little that phases us." Luna said as she recalled many a crazy adventure from the past.

"Still only eighteen here. Haven't had a lot of experience dealing with stuff." Spike said still recovering from the crushing awkwardness.

"Fine we'll get back to you in about two thousand years, sound good?" Celestia asked with a smirk.

"Sure, just so long as it isn't right now." Spike said getting up from his slumping position.

"She will hold you to that. She still holds a grudge over a stolen cupcake from twenty-seven hundred years ago." Luna said seriously.

"Butter-cream frosting with chocolate sprinkles on strawberry cake. I was saving it and you took it from the cupboard." Celestia said bitterly. Spike knew his mother had an unhealthy fondness for pastries, but that seemed a little much.

The group soon adjourned for the dining hall, where the finest meals bits could buy were served. Spike however had a geologist and mineralogist that the castle kept on staff. He was payed well and spent his time finding fine gems and minerals, he mailed them to Spike in Ponyville and sometimes served Discord. Apparently he could eat literally anything. This particular pony had been the one to send Spike the rare fire ruby years ago.

Dinner conversation steered toward the future of Spike's relationship with Mac several times. The pair genuinely knew they would be together for as long as possible, but they hadn't really talked about the immediate future. They had only officially been together for almost a month. The circumstances surrounding their relationship had really put stress on them. They really hadn't had time to actually date.

The couple decided that tomorrow would be their first real date. No family, no crazy fans, just the two of them at a restaurant in Canterlot. The regal alicorn sisters had promised to leave them be for the night, and Discord was currently helping Fluttershy take care of a sick Ursa Major in the Everfree. Barring a world ending disaster the pair would be relatively alone for the night.

The pair spent most of the day lazing about Spike's room, reading comic books eating junk food, and cuddling. Spike was still wary about physical intimacy until they were back home and the sound proofing had been tested. The day had been pretty good all and all, and somehow remarkably normal. The pair split for an hour to get ready from their date when the time drew near.

Macintosh was the first to meet at the bottom of the stairs, as they had planned. He had showered, combed his hair, and switched his yoke for a suit vest provided for him by the royal tailor.

"Hey, looking good Mac." A familiar voice said from the top of the stairs.

Mac turned to see Spike, looking mostly the same except... shiny?

"Ya look... bright?" Mac said looking the dragon over.

"I uh, polished myself." Spike said before face-clawing himself and groaning. "That sounded way too suggestive, didn't it?"

"Eeyup." Mac said smiling broadly.

"Let's just go." Spike said hanging his head. Mac patted him on the back as they walked out of the palace.

The pair didn't have far to go, the ritziest restaurant in Canterlot was in the same area of the city as the castle. It was called "The Prench Mare" and despite that the restaurant served dishes from all over the world and even served meat for ambassadors from other countries. Not that Spike would ever indulge unless his life depended on it.

The stallion at the podium in front of the open door took one look at the pair and tried to bow to them on instinct, slamming his head into the podium. Spike helped him to his hooves, making sure he was stable.

"You alright there pal? That was quite a head injury." He asked the wobbly waiter.

"Yes, yes, sorry. It's my first time meeting royalty, I fear I may have ruined your first impression of the competency of our staff." The stallion said as he dusted himself off.

"No, it's alright. This isn't the worst reaction I've ever had. I won't tell anypony if you don't. Let's get us a table okay?" Spike said smiling at the stallion.

"Right this way sirs." The waiter replied happily.

The two were seated remarkably quickly at a table in the VIP section. Their orders for drinks were taken and the pair were left to themselves. There was only one other couple in the section, a white unicorn with a dark blue mane and a monacle, and a strangely tall unicorn mare that had a pale pink mane, she was also a stunning white. It was none other than the famous Fancy Pants and Fluer De Lis, sitting at the bar.

"Hey, check it out. We aren't the only celebrity couple here." Spike said motioning to the well known Canterlot elite before pretending to read his menu.

"Who're they?" Mac whispered, somewhat insecurely.

"Ah, sorry. Forgot it's a Canterlot thing. They own half of the city's businesses between them. They also donate almost as much to charity as my mother and aunt. They're also great ponies, I've met them a few times before. They never looked down on me for being a dragon among ponies, even before everypony knew I was a prince." Spike said as he spoke the world of the couple.

"Sound like good folk." Mac said as he perused the menu.

"Oh yeah, they're practically saints." Spike responded as he went through his own menu.

"Why thank you, your majesty. We do try." A ladylike voice replied in a prench accent. The pair looked to the source, to find the couple in question standing directly next to them.

"Whoa, snuck up on us there." Spike said clutching his chest, feigning a heart attack.

"Yes, sorry about that. But thank you for painting us in such a favorable light, Spike." Fancy said before taking a sip of his drink.

"Pretty easy, if yer deservin' of it." Mac added with a smile.

Fancy Pants chuckled a bit, dismissing the compliment with a playful wave of his hoof.

"You must be Macintosh Apple. The restaurant we're in is one of mine, I make sure we only use Sweet Apple Acres apples in the food. Best in Equestria, if you want my opinion." Fluer said with a warm smile.

"Thank ya, we work hard fer that title." Macintosh said proudly.

"Yes, I've been all over the world, but never had a finer piece of fruit." Fancy added before finishing his drink, "Good to see you found yourself a keeper Spike."

With that the pair departed taking their leave of the restaurant leaving Spike and Mac to themselves. The dinner surprisingly went off without a hitch. The food was excellent, and Mac confirmed that they did indeed use his family's apples when dessert rolled around. They had a great first date, and even stayed for a few drinks at the bar.

The night wrapped up with a certain tipsy dragon collapsing on their new bed. Macintosh had never been much of a drinker, and was still awake.

He took a walk through the castle, thinking to himself. He loved Spike dearly, but he still needed some alone time now and again. He didn't venture too far, as he knew the castle had certain areas not meant for him. He did however stop when he came to a strange door, it was pink with black spots with deep green outlines. There was what seemed to be an eye where the peep hole in a door would normally be. He stared at it for a moment until it blinked at him. He realized who this door must belong to, and knocked on it.

"Hello Big Red, would you like some gum?" A familiar voice said from behind him. He jumped and turned to see Discord smiling at him while holding a pack of gum.

"No thank ya, but ah do think ya can help me with somethin." Mac said after a moment of thought.

"Really? This I gotta hear." Discord said leaning down to meet the stallion's face. The pair wandered into the draconequus' room to discuss the mysterious favor.

Author's Note:

CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!!!!! Deal with it! Not addressing it directly for a few chapters either!