• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 11,022 Views, 334 Comments

Falling Backwards - Tofu-Monstrosity



After a terrible accident Rainbow Dash's brain suffered severe damage. Now it's up to her friends to nurse her back to health. But can they deal with this new Rainbow Dash?

  • ...
27
 334
 11,022

Chapter 12

The next morning Twilight awoke well rested. She sat up in bed and stretched her aching muscles. She yawned and looked over to the bed next to her, expecting to see Rainbow Dash as always.

So it was understandable that she nearly had a panic attack when she saw that the bed was empty. “Rainbow!” Twilight threw the blanket off of the bed and flew to her hooves. Spike shot up in bed, awoken from his slumber by the panicking alicorn. She looked over to the baby dragon with fear in her eyes. “Where did she go?” She asked, not giving him the chance to answer before she raced out of the room.

While running down the hallways she tried to push the one thought out of her head but it kept coming back. What if Celestia took Rainbow Dash away? She had to get to the throne room where she knew Celestia would be. She stumbled over her own hooves and rushed past the dumbfounded Royal Guard. If she looked behind her she would see her equally worried friends, in varying states of waking up, rushing after her.

“…And den, and den Mommy she…she fell on the floor!” Rainbow Dash laughed as she told the story to Princess Celestia as they sat in the throne room. Rainbow Dash was munching on syrupy pancakes. Once she finished one plate a royal server gave her another, which she happily scarfed down. Celestia just sat next to her and sipped her tea, stifling a small giggle at Rainbow Dash.

“Do you like those pancakes?” Celestia asked, after Rainbow Dash swallowed a chunk of pancake.

“Yesh!” Rainbow Dash took another bite. “Mommy twies ta made pancakes but she burns dem.” She says in-between mouthfuls.

“So Twilight takes good care of you?” Celestia asked, levitating the tea to her lips. Rainbow Dash nodded eagerly.

“Uh huh! She da best!” Rainbow smiled before taking another bite.

Celestia opened her mouth to speak again but Twilight burst through the door, panting heavily. “Mommy!” Rainbow Dash smiled, she stood up and ran to Twilight and nuzzled her. She got syrup on Twilight’s fur but the alicorn princess didn’t care. Twilight nuzzled her back, relief that she was okay washed over her.

Celestia set her tea down and stood, her mane blowing in the unfelt wind. At that moment the four mares and dragon that followed Twilight arrived in the doorway all of them panting from racing after the panicking alicorn.

“What in tarnation is goin’ on?” Applejack heaved a heavy breath.

“Rainbow Dash found me this morning. She told me she was hungry and we had breakfast.” Celestia explained, smiling to the pegasus. “She was telling me about everything that has happened these past few weeks.” Twilight felt bile rise in her gut. What exactly had Rainbow Dash told her? “It has been quite the experience. Hasn’t it?” Celestia directed the question to Twilight, who nodded in response and unconsciously extended a wing over Rainbow Dash protectively.

“Yes.” Twilight curtly responded swallowing hard. Celestia nodded a bit.

“After hearing about your plight I have made the decision to let Rainbow Dash stay with you.” Celestia stated. Twilight’s face lit up with joy.

“Oh thank you!” Twilight was relieved, her friends all smiled, except Rainbow herself who was trying to lick the syrup off of her muzzle.

“It is not I you should thank.” Celestia said. All of the ponies looked stunned at her words. “Rainbow Dash was the one who told me all about what you all have been through. Me taking her away from you would not only be detrimental to her development but also tear apart the magic of friendship. Therefore Princess Luna and I have agreed to let her stay with you. On one condition.” Princess Celestia raised an eyebrow. Twilight felt her blood run cold. What would Celestia possibly want that could ruin this? “Spike, could you take Rainbow Dash outside for a moment?” She asked the dragon. Spike nodded and led Rainbow Dash out with the promise for more pancakes.

Once the door was shut Celestia spoke again. “For her safety and yours I would like to cast a physical age spell.”

“Wait, ya mean she would have ta grow up again?” Applejack raised a skeptical eyebrow.

“Like…you can’t fix this?” Fluttershy questioned in her soft tone. Twilight looked to her mentor, the princess of the sun had a sad look on her face.

“After much discussion Princess Luna and I have made the determination that our magic alone cannot help her.” She looked saddened. “The pony mind is a very complex matter and it is simply too complicated for a spell to fix the damage that has been done. What we can do is accommodate to her situation. Which is why I suggest an age spell.”

“…So we won’t get the old Rainbow Dash back?” Rarity asked, her voice was soft and wavering. Celestia sighed sadly.

“I cannot answer that for certain. Who she is, her core self is still there. Her memories and experiences however, are not.” Celestia explained as simply as she could. “I’m sorry but this is our only choice.”

Twilight, who had been silent the whole time, spoke up. “Alright, you can do it.” She stated, her mouth going dry. There was no turning back now; unlike with the Alicorn Amulet that Trixie stole, an actual age spell is very hard if not impossible to reverse. Celestia nodded.

“Spike!” She raised her voice for the dragon to hear, the purple dragon poked his head into the room. “Please bring Rainbow Dash back in.” She instructed. Before Spike could even open the door wider a cyan pegasus burst through, knocking him over and she had a pout on her face.

“Dere were no pancakes…” She muttered.

“Rainbow Dash, could you come here with me please?” Celestia asked. Rainbow’s ears perked up as she associated Celestia with pancakes. She scampered after the princess of the sun and they walked across the room. “Could you please step out?” She asked the remaining ponies. They turned around and the door closed behind them.

Rainbow Dash looked worriedly at Celestia. “Where dey goin’?” She asked.

“Rainbow Dash look at me.” Celestia stated and Rainbow Dash turned her magenta eyes to the alicorn princes. Celestia alit her horn in a yellow glow. It snaked its way to Rainbow Dash and encompassed the pegasus in a yellow aura.

Outside, Twilight paced the floor nervously.

“Twi, just calm down a bit.” Applejack spoke up.

“I can’t…” Twilight muttered. “What if I can’t do this? What if I ruin her life?” Twilight questioned.

“Twilight, I’m sure you’ll do fine.” Fluttershy tried to reassure the panicking alicorn.

“What if I don’t?” Twilight looked to her friends with fear evident in her eyes.

“That’s why you have us silly!” Pinkie Pie spoke up, a smile filling her face it was contagious as a small smile broke out on Twilight’s face as well. She looked at her friends gratefully.

All of their heads turned as they heard the door open with a creek. Stumbling out from the other side of the door was a small little cyan filly. She stood only a bit shorter than Scootaloo. Her mane was all colors of the rainbow and stuck out in random places. Her cutie mark was of a rainbow lightning bolt coming out of a cloud. The filly was a familiar sight for Fluttershy.

The filly regained her senses and squinted at the mares. “Mommy?” She spoke up, her voice higher pitched and cracking. “Why are you so big?”

Author's Note:

Finally done! But not over...

Comments ( 73 )

i loved it and i got a question dose Twilight Sparkle have a diffent filly rainbow dash to take care of now and do i smell a sequel for this story

Complete tag...but not over?

Do I smell sequel?

Not over?!

OH SHIT NIGGA!:raritystarry:

Cosi, si`re che implica un danno cerebrale?:trixieshiftright:

This was supposed to be a dark story!!! Looks like you abandoned the dark tag and just made it a comedy...

This is only if discord is reformed if not don't read. Couldn't they have just used discords magic I mean that stuff can do all kinds of things.

4392108 I hope so or I will be disappointed.

a rather itnersting tale overall. there is a bit of uncertainty at least to what has happened to rainbow dash. perhaps more iwll be revealed later........

Comment posted by DGGames deleted May 15th, 2014

4392108 Im pretty sure I know EXACTLY how it will end...

At least I hope it ends that way... Otherwise will make for a not so interesting sequel.

Isn't Rainbow Dash indestructable? (not including her wings)

:raritycry:
NO! I am not sad or crying due to the cuteness of RD in this tale, I'm crying because.......I..um..s-stabbed myself in the.....the...BALLS! That's it, I'm crying because I stabbed myself in the balls! :pinkiecrazy:

4392691 How and why would one stab themselves in the balls.

And also VERY good story here. Made me shed a few manly tears.

4392198 just because Chaos Magic seems to have no rules, does not mean that is has no limits. random can do a lot, but never really in the way one might expect...and because its random, there r no absolutes. fixing dash...would be an absolute

Is there a reason that they are surprised about the age spell in this chapter? I thought they were informed about that on the prior chapter.

Well she'll certainly be easier to hold on to.
4392834
With a knife and accidentally

Critic Hat ON: You had a few present tense/past tense issues ("is" instead of "was," and so on), but otherwise, the story is well done. :)

Critic Hat OFF: What a great story! While I hate what happened to Dash, the ending was fitting, and I think was for the best considering the circumstances. Plus, come on! Filly Dash? Come on! That's too cute! You can't stop that kind of cute!

4392151
... How is any of what happened to Rainbow Dash funny? Do you mean the comments she gives occassionally? She has the mind of a little filly, which means she will make funny statements from time to time. I can see in no way what happened to Dash, is something to joke about. How about you hit your head somewhere and start talking like a 4 year old? Wouldn't that be funny? No! Of course not, this is just the way she interacts and she can't help it.

Not to mention that her friends are constantly worried about her, and Twilight has taken the burden upon herself to care for her, as an adoptive mother. The Dash they knew is gone, now they have to help grow-up a new Rainbow Dash, or hope for the impossible odds that she may find her way out of her minds "Safe Lock Zone".

Despite the cute little filly dash situation now, that still sounds pretty tragic and dark to me.

What I really don't like is how no one seems to give a flying **** about Rainbow's actual parents. They're going around adopting her and casting extreme alterations to her body and self, never once thinking to ask them what they think about all of this, or even, apparently, mentioning to them that their daughter just became disabled.
Can you even imagine how completely and utterly devastated they'll be when they come looking for their daughter who hasn't contacted them in (months, years?), only to find that not only was she in a horribly tragic accident no one told them about , but that she doesn't even remember who they are? "You're not my mommy, she's my mommy!"
For all intents and purposes, their daughter just died, and no one seems to think they deserve to be told about it.
It's almost like the universe forgot about their existence...

Yay sequel yay yay!

4393570 read chapter 1 again before getting upset. Her family is gone.

4393377 yes yes magic. That's besides the point. Her injuries being healed so quick is only a symptom of a much larger problem. I used it as the main example to the pacing. The authors pacing is so fast it's preventing me from making any kind of emotional connection to his/her story.:pinkiesad2:

I would love to see more of this for sure.

4393570

what if she simply doesn't have any family, it is implied that they are dead by the fact that they were not contacted

4392834
Firstly, all you need is a knife and you jam it in your balls.
The reason? To have a reason to cry.....:fluttercry:

can't wait for sequal.

4393512 ok ok ok ok. Jeeze. I guess I'm some monster cus I don't find mental age regression that dark/sad. Or maybe the story just ended differently than what I expected. Either way, it was a good read. (Sequel pls

P.s. I just noticed has a comedy tag and you're trying to argue that it's not supposed to be funny? Oh well idc I'll look forward to said sequel

4393133 I guess the fact that RBD just becoming young as being funny to me...

4392935 not nessicarily I mean he can change their person and do much more so he could go through dash's past if possible and give her those memories and feelings

4393512 4393240 4393458 4395279 4397010 4397839

All good stories that have a sequel, start with a good EPILOGUE.

And for those of you who are all worried about Rainbow Dash and the element of loyalty.... Rainbow may have to learn a buit of humility first, before she gets back to her normal 20% COOLER SELF.

This is if Tofu sticks to the ideas him and i threw back and forth... OR if i see him throw a curveball.

I will not reveal what was thrown back and forth, because it is his story not mine, but do not worry... this story is long from over. If Tofu doesn't make a sequel, I get the reigns to do so.

4399328
I'll keep an eye out for sure :twilightsmile:

4399328
I'm not worrid about rainbow Dash not being able to regain her element of loyalty, I was merely pointing out that in the state of mind Dash is in right now, she is to young to understand the value of loyalty.
She's short past the rugrat age, but younger than the cutie mark crusaders who are still missing their cutie marks (an advantage that Rainbow has, since she kept hers), in fact considering how Pipsqueak was able to express himself with words, filly dash can't talk like him yet, she must be younger than him. So she is something in between Pipsqueak and the cake twins old, which isn't an age to comprehend the value of loyalty.
Actually, when the mane 6 received their marks as fillies, around the same age as apple bloom, they also learned their lesson concerning each of their respective elements.

Flutttershy was being kind to animals, she learned to value kindness.

Rarity learned that something that may appear worthless at first on the outside, can still be very generous on the inside. Thus she valued generosity forth on.

Applejack learned to value honesty by realizing that she should have listened to what her conscious, or heart, told her about home.

Pinkie Pie learned to smile for the first time, she realized how valuable laughter can be to lighten up one's heart and give hope.

Rainbow Dash earned her mark by sticking up for her friend, without the race that was initiated by protecting Fluttershy, she wouldn't have gotten her mark back then. She learned the value of loyalty.

Twilight is a bit different... she was about to give up on her test, thinking that she didn't have the magic to pull it off, but accidentally, or fatefully, she was proven otherwise thanks to the sonic rainboom. You could say Celestia didn't just became a mentor, but a friend to Twily as well, when she saved her from the magical amok. But Twily didn't know Celestias relevance to friendship yet, especially since she saw her more as a mentor or mother figure.
Twily knew about her own magical talent , but what was her source? Or lets rather say the magic she was specified for.
Some things as alicornhood, Twilight's fate that was deduced by Celestia, NMM incident, star swirl etc. are explained in S4, which I won't spoil, since I haven't finished it yet as well.
But anyway when she met them all and discovered the elements, and realized their symbolical meaning in the virtues she was able to experience thanks to her new friends, she learned to value the magic of friendship, which is in turn the power source of the elements of harmony.

So thats that... but dash isn't ready yet receive such a burden, nor is she able to comprehend loyalty.
In addition to that, she has her mark already, and no memory of how she got it.
The dash they knew is locked inside that filly somewhere, if they are lucky including all her memories.
This is A Dash now but not their Dash, and I was only pointing out with my comment that this is after all a tragedy, since Dash made a mental age regression due to a life threatening accident. Filly Dash is only here to make the situation more comfortable and less straining, since she is a filly now she won't be as strong and big as she was in her original body, thus also less problematic to handle.

4399593 all will be revealed soon... I'm almost sure tofu would NEVER just leave it at thqt

4399696
I know but I like to point things out and poke them with a stick.
Sorry I'm not sober, this knight had his few this fine evening.

Also,

And for those of you who are all worried about Rainbow Dash and the element of loyalty.... Rainbow may have to learn a buit of humility first, before she gets back to her normal 20% COOLER SELF.

I suppose this won't be possible unless she'd mentally mature a bit faster than a normal filly.
The way it is now, she can barely comprehend things, question them, abstract them, even scoots, sweety and bloom are better at that because they are a few years older.
That said, current state of the EoH... kaputt!:derpytongue2:

4430542
Nice picture, there is just a teeny tiny bit of a problem with it... Twilight is actually already an Alicorn in this story!:twilightsmile:

4393570 Judging by the fact that her parents didn't come to see her when she saved Equestria nunerous times, won the Junior Flier's Competition amd participated in the Equestria Games, I think we can assume that they're out of the picture...

This was featured on my birthday!

4431097 i realized that... meh

Wait! how many time pass? you say week and Celestia says weeks. I'm confused!
if it weeks how come Celestia finds now and not earlier?
Is there is going to be a sequel?

I started reading this somewhat unsure. Needless to say I didn't regret it one bit. I absolutely loved it!
I have a long flight tomorrow. I will read the sequel then. :twilightsmile:

4455097 People are acting like I'm serious. :(.

4455482 Wow, low blow... My crap stories have nothing to do with this. At least I know that you took the time to check out my work, so thanks, pal!

4456585 well raining on peoples achievements is kind of mean,

Login or register to comment