• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 11,023 Views, 334 Comments

Falling Backwards - Tofu-Monstrosity



After a terrible accident Rainbow Dash's brain suffered severe damage. Now it's up to her friends to nurse her back to health. But can they deal with this new Rainbow Dash?

  • ...
27
 334
 11,023

Chapter 10

She had to be dreaming. There could be no other sane explanation as to why her mentor and teacher, princess of the very land they inhabited, to be standing in her living room unannounced.

“Canterlot? Why?” Twilight asked as her mind slowly cleared from sleep.

“Rainbow Dash.” Celestia stated. Twilight felt her stomach drop. Celestia knew about Rainbow. Twilight’s mind went into overdrive with worry. Did she find out about what happened? Did she know about the hospital? Twilight bit her lip. Celestia nodded as if she knew what Twilight was thinking. “It has come to my attention that one of the bearers of harmony was tragically injured. I have also been informed that she was discharged from Ponyville General Hospital and not transferred to Canterlot Medical Center.”

“Princess I can explain…” Twilight started to refute but Celestia cut her off.

“You can explain once we are in Canterlot with your friends and Princess Luna can better assess Rainbow Dash’s condition.” Celestia stated. Twilight opened her mouth to explain herself but nothing came out. The look in Celestia’s face said it all. It was a mixture of disappointment and worry. It was a combination that Twilight never wanted to see again. “There is a carriage outside for your friends. I will be expecting you.”

In a flash of yellow light Celestia was gone. Twilight bounced on her hooves in worry. She was done for! Already she could picture herself in the basement dungeon of the castle, to live out the rest of her days in damp darkness while Rainbow Dash was confined to a white room somewhere. And what of her friends? Would they be imprisoned too? The Apple farm would lose its driving force without Applejack. Animals would attack the town if Fluttershy wasn’t there. The town would go to Tartarus in a hand basket if Pinkie Pie wasn’t there to keep things in order. Rarity would probably loose her dressmaking business if she were imprisoned, not to mention the poor girl wouldn’t last two minutes behind bars. And Spike? Would he go to prison too? Twilight couldn’t let that happen.

“Twilight?” A voice came from behind her and pulled her out of her mental tirade. It was Spike. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. “I heard talking.” Twilight took a deep breath and bit her lip.

“Celestia came here.” She said, her voice shaky. Spike immediately woke up.

“What! Why?” He asked, alert as ever.

“She knows about Rainbow Dash. She wants us to get our friends and go to Canterlot immediately.” Twilight couldn’t hide the worry in her voice.

“What will happen Twilight?” Spike asked fear laced his words. Twilight only shook her head.

“I don’t know. But we need to get to Canterlot.” She stated and went back into her room to wake up Rainbow Dash.

Arousing all five of her friends from their sleep would be no easy task. Rainbow Dash was a heavy sleeper and it took Twilight prodding her in the side with her horn to wake her.

“Mommy?” Rainbow Dash rubbed her eyes sleepily, as she sat up in bed.

“Come on Dashie.” Twilight magically threw the covers off of the pegasus, trying to get her to move.

“What’s goin’ on?” She asked, slowly getting to her hooves.

“We’re going on a trip.” Twilight lied, biting her lip as she led the pegasus downstairs.

“A trip!” Rainbow Dash was awake now, bouncing on her hooves and flapping her wings wildly. “Where we goin’?” She asked.

“Canterlot.” Twilight explained, getting her saddlebag and levitating everything she thought she and Rainbow Dash would need.

“What’s that?” Rainbow Dash asked as she watched her blanket get levitated and neatly placed into the saddlebag. Twilight sighed.

“It’s a city. But we have to be quick. Our friends are coming with us.” Twilight clipped the bag shut and laid it across her back. Spike scampered downstairs with a small backpack filled with his things.

They stepped outside to see a large carriage pulled by several night guards. A bat pony mare stood at attention on the side. The moonlight danced on her violet armor and glistened in her yellow eyes.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle.” The mare stated and stepped to the side, lowering her head. “Miss Rainbow Dash and Mr. Spike I presume?” She raised her head and gestured for the three to enter the spacious carriage. Twilight felt as if the mare was more of a prison warden than an escort but she obliged and the three of them got in the carriage.

“To the Carousal Boutique. It’s closest.” Twilight told the mare as she got in the drivers seat. The mare nodded and urged the bat ponies flying the carriage to take off.

“Who’s she?” Spike whispered to Twilight and pointed at the bat pony mare. Twilight pulled Rainbow Dash back from sticking her head out the window. She opened her mouth to speak but the mare cut her off.

“Nocturna. Captain of the Royal Night Guard.” The mare stated and the ponies leading the carriage directed it downward to the ground outside of the boutique and home of Rarity. Twilight bit her lip again. Celestia sent the captain of the Royal Night Guard to escort her and her friends to Canterlot? Twilight could feel her stomach churn as she got out of the carriage. “Don’t be long Princess.” Captain Nocturna stated, her voice flat and authoritative. Twilight swallowed the lump in her throat. She hated being called “Princess”.

Twilight was able to rouse Rarity from her sleep. The mare still had curlers in her mane and her eye mask on her forehead. In record speed the pristine pony beautified herself and got her little sister to take to Applejack’s.

The farm mare was a bit harder to wake, as she was known for her heavy sleep patterns. Once Applejack was awoken from her slumber and Sweetie Belle was dropped off, the party headed over to Sugarcube Corner. As Twilight raised a hoof to knock on the door, it opened to reveal the pink party pony standing there already packed.

“Celestia. Going to Canterlot. Rainbow Dash.” Pinkie Pie rattled off to the dumbfounded Twilight.

“How did you…?” Twilight was astounded. Pinkie Pie broke out into a smile.

“Pinkie Sense silly!” She bounced off to the carriage.

Their last stop was at Fluttershy’s cottage. Waking the shy mare was easy as Fluttershy always slept lightly. It took no convincing for the mare to join them.

“Princess Twilight, the moonlight is fading fast.” Captain Nocturna called, wanting to keep her schedule. Fluttershy left the cottage with her saddlebags.

“Goin’ on a trip!” Rainbow Dash bounced happily up and down and back into the carriage. The other mares followed her with less enthusiasm. Captain Nocturna led the guard ponies and into the sky they flew. Twilight stared out the window, visions of her friends being locked up flashing through her mind. She looked back into the carriage where her friends (save Rainbow Dash who had her head out the window and Spike who was curled up on the bench asleep) looked back at her with varying degrees of worry etched onto their faces.

“What do you think the Princess wants?” Rarity asked. Twilight shrugged.

“I don’t know, she didn’t tell me.” Twilight sighed. The carriage jerked to a halt and the door opened, Captain Nocturna standing there at attention her voice booming.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony.” She announced as the mares and dragon exited the carriage.

“Princess Luna of the Night.” Captain Nocturna announced and Princess Luna walked up and greeted them.

“That will be all Captain.” Luna nodded to her guard and she quickly disappeared into the shadows of the night. Luna then turned to Twilight. “Twilight, it is good to see you and your friends.”

“Luna, it’s good to see you too.” Twilight felt her mouth go dry.

Luna smiled, though it was fleeting. “I just wish it was under better circumstances. Come, my sister awaits in the Grand Hall.” Twilight hesitantly followed as the dark alicorn princess of the night turned around and lead them all into the castle.

“Who’s that Mommy? Is she a princess?” Rainbow Dash asked Twilight as they walked. “Will she play?” Before Twilight could stop her, Rainbow Dash flew up in front of Luna and pressed her face against the princess’s. “Will you play?” She asked.

“Rainbow!” Twilight pulled the mare to the ground by encasing her tail in the magical aura. “I’m sorry about that Princess.” Twilight blushed.

“It is quite alright.” Luna tried to hide her small smile. They approached the huge ornate doors to the Grand Hall where two Night Guard were stationed. They opened the doors to reveal the large throne room where at the end stood the tall white alicorn of the day. Twilight tried her hardest not to turn tail and run out of Canterlot.

Celestia walked towards them and met them. “Twilight, I’m glad you could make it on such short notice.” Celestia smiled a bit and nuzzled her student in greeting. Twilight knew her coat felt cold and clammy from her nerves.

Rainbow Dash looked all around the hall, from the stained glass windows, to the carpet, to the thrones, but mostly the princesses enamored her. They were tall and beautiful and their manes flowed in some unfelt wind. Their wings were huge too! Rainbow Dash looked at her own wings and they looked stubby compared to those worn by the princesses of the day and night.

“Mommy look! Wings!” She poked at Twilight to get her to notice the huge wings the princesses wore. Twilight shot her a glare and motioned for the pegasus to get back. Celestia peered down to the amazed-looking pegasus.

“We need to assess her situation. Luna, can you take her to the medical wing?” Celestia turned to her sister who nodded and stretched out a wing to guide Rainbow Dash out of the Grand Hall. Twilight opened her mouth to protest but Rainbow Dash did it for her.

“No!” She screamed, flailing and stumbling. “Not away from Mommy!” She bolted back to Twilight. Celestia’s expression was stoic.

“It’s worse than I thought.” She muttered. “Luna,” She turned to her sister, “please sedate her.”

“Woah there, ya’ll can’t just do that!” Applejack spoke up. Up until now they complied with the princess’s wishes but by her standards, Celestia went too far.

“It has to be done. For your friend’s safety and your own.” Celestia’s authoritative tone hushed the earth pony. Luna readied her magic and twisted a violet aura around Rainbow Dash’s head. In an instant the pegasus fell to the floor in a deep sleep. Princess Luna levitated the pegasus with her.

“What are you doing to do with her?” Rarity asked. Luna stopped.

“I am going into her mind to see what mental barricades are broken.” Luna simplified.

“I…I should probably go with you…if you don’t mind…” Fluttershy meekly stepped forward, trying to be assertive. “I know Rainbow Dash better than any pony.” Fluttershy looked Luna in the eyes, wanting to help her friend as best as she could.

“Very well. Follow me.” Luna led Fluttershy and the unconscious Rainbow Dash down a corridor and out of sight.

“While they are doing that, why don’t you all come with me? I will have some coffee brought up from the kitchen.” Celestia sounded kind as she walked the opposite direction where Luna and Fluttershy left. They too were led down a long corridor and Twilight felt as if she was walking to her doom.