• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 4,635 Views, 657 Comments

The Sunshine Chronicles - TwilightUCrazy



Applejack has always wanted a family of her own, but she had thought it out of reach... until now.

  • ...
22
 657
 4,635

Lala Land

Angel stamped his foot in contemplation, staring at the checkerboard – and across at his most worthy adversary that he had ever faced. He was facing down the one being in all of Creation that could challenge his awesome intellect, might, and courage… and patience. The one creature that could outmaneuver him, outthink him, and outplay him at this one game he had mastered over the course of many years.

That was what he’d told Fluttershy anyway.

As Angel considered his next move, she watched Tank reach slowly – as he did with all things – into the bowl for a bit of the salad she had provided him.

It was all meant to be a temporary living arrangement while his real master rooted around for a suitable quarter on the farm. He seemed to appreciate her tender care as much as he ever did, however, and from how the tortoise described it, it was certainly quite a sight better than being scared out of his shell every time Winona came running up to play…

Rainbow Dash could take her time so long as that excitable dog was still around as far as he was concerned, he’d told her.

“It’s your move, Angel,” the honey-voiced pegasus mare reminded her pet softly.

The rabbit rubbed his paw across his chin and reached for one of the red pieces on the board.

Without warning, he squeaked and pointed somewhere behind Tank.

The tortoise spent about two minutes turning to see what it was…

Angel took the opportunity to switch a few red and black pieces on the checkerboard, and grinned smugly.

“Angel…” Fluttershy scolded firmly.

The rabbit frowned and, with a frustrated huff, kicked the game and its pieces across the length of the room, before stomping off to parts unknown.

The pegasus giggled. “Guess you win again, Tank.”

The tortoise paused a moment and grunted in satisfaction.

A gentle knocking came at the door, and Fluttershy turned her head, pricking her ears at the unexpected interruption.

“Who could that be?”

Crossing the room, Fluttershy opened the door.

Applejack stood on the other side of the threshold, a storm cloud hanging over her head.

Her smile of greeting was a false one. “H-howdy, sugarcube…”

Fluttershy blinked and quickly remembered her manners. “O-oh! Hello, Applejack. Umm… what brings you here?” She paused. “I mean, n-not that you’re not welcome here anytime of course…”

“Uhh… well…” The farmgirl shuffled in-place. “I was wonderin’ if I could maybe… talk with ya a little bit about somethin’… somethin’ private.”

Sudden realization struck Fluttershy like a flying checkerboard.

“Oh, goodness! It isn’t the baby, is it?”

Applejack blinked and quickly shook her head. “Oh no. Nothin’ like that…” She bit her lip and looked around. “It’s just… look, would it be okay if I came in for a spell? I don’t really feel like talkin’ about it out here…”

“Oh! O-of course! Please!” the pegasus said, leading Applejack indoors and to the couch.

The farmpony smiled and pat Tank gently on his head as she passed.

Fluttershy laid across the cushion of the sofa.

Applejack remained standing as her eyes turned to the pegasus.

“It’s… about Rainbow…”

Comments ( 14 )

uh-oh...

NO! NOT JUST A SHORT CAPTER BUT A CLIFF HANGER?!... Oh ho ho somebody is going to get it.

SHL

Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!

Noooo Cliff hanger! No mi guesta.

:facehoof: Of course Angel would stoop to cheat at checkers, but what I'm curious about is: if playing against Tank frustrates him so, then why does he continue to do it.

I can see why you have it on hiatus. You actually became bored with the AppleDash pairing. :ajsmug:

Happens to all at some point. Now you know why I don't care the ship, as long as it involves Applejack(mainly more, but sometimes less).

5592581

I literally just finished an AppleDash clopfic. Do I really sound bored with the ship? :ajbemused:

5592624

Well, if not with the ship, then with the ship having little-to-no action.

5592629

AppleDash indeed doesn't have enough going on at the moment. Its writers have gotten lazy (me included). I'm working on the update for Hearts Heal Slowly at the moment, but life has kind of taken the wind out of my sails for the moment.

NONONIIOOOOOOO. UPDATE, MAYBE!!!!

Ah, dead fic is dead. Bummer.

Gosh this was going so well, and really becoming one of my favorite fics. Now for it to be hung up to dry on such a note :(. I was too enthused by this to notice the cancelled tag. Maybe some day it'll get something more upbeat.

For anyone wanting to read this cancelled fic, and wanting it to end on a pretty good point, stop reading at the 'Check up" chapter and move on to something else from there.

Login or register to comment