• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 4,636 Views, 657 Comments

The Sunshine Chronicles - TwilightUCrazy



Applejack has always wanted a family of her own, but she had thought it out of reach... until now.

  • ...
22
 657
 4,636

The Quest for Applestuff (part 2)

Applejack trudged towards Ponyville near noontime in attempt to get her mind off her embarrassment. A lousy breakfast and a need for lunch combined into a crippling hunger, and her stomach cursed her for going so long without a decent bite to eat. Not even in wintertime, when food was a tad harder to come by, had she ever gone so long without something to fill her gut. Granny had always made sure she was well-fed.

She got desperate enough to pull out a cluster of early dandelions from the ground at the side of the dirt path. Her belly was a resounding cacophony of squeaks, burps, and uncomfortable whistles, and even the grass was starting to look mouth-watering by that point.

The dandelions didn’t provide much substance, however.

She thought about visiting Sugarcube Corner, and ordering one of their apple pies. Though the Cakes couldn’t make one anywhere near as tasty as Granny’s, they certainly were more appetizing than weeds.

On the other hand, knowing the resident party pony, she’d catch wind of it and start wondering why she didn’t just bake her own pie. Then there would be inquiries. The Royal Guard would likely get involved and launch an investigation of where the real Applejack had gone.

So, Sugarcube Corner was out.

Applejack had once gotten a look at one of Rarity’s dishes. It was a wonder the poor thing managed to keep a figure at all. Her plates were always so sparsely populated that she couldn’t tell if they were meant to be hung on a wall or eaten.

With Fluttershy living out-of-town, that only left Twilight as her remaining source of relief. Twilight wouldn’t get suspicious. She was just oblivious enough about these sorts of things to provide her with a solid meal and be none the wiser about her error. Thoughts of strawberry cupcakes and broccoli salads with heaping amounts of Prench honey dressing danced in her head.

She was pre-drooled by her thoughts the time she stopped at the entrance to Golden Oaks. Two quick knocks on the door later, Twilight peered out at her.

“Oh. Hi, Applejack!”

“H-howdy, sugarcube,” Applejack stammered, doing her level best not to keel over from weakness. “H-how ya doin’, pony girl?”

“Oh, I was just about to sit down for lunch and do a bit of light reading.”

The farmpony’s stomach burbled.

“‘Light readin,’ huh?” she asked, trying to keep the conversation casual. She subtly attempted to peer around the librarian’s egg head. “Well, knowin’ you, that means ya got a couple books to read before sundown.”

Twilight chuckled and blushed behind a hoof. “Eheh… umm… yeah.”

Nothing in the kitchen from what she could see, she tilted her head the other way, peering towards the center of the room where a chair had been pulled up. “So… uhh… w-watcha readin’ about?”

“Oh, I’m not sure if you would be particularly interested. I’m trying to reconcile the Vermillion paradox of the late Vanhoofsen phenomenon for a research paper I’m doing. See, there’s this magical sciences convention coming up in…”

Applejack’s attention trailed off and she nodded, trying to seem as engaged as she could. She could smell fruit on the air. Her sharp nose picked up traces of strawberry, banana and... w-was that cucumber?

Her belly rumbled loudly once again.

“Applejack?”

There! The plate on the table! Just on the other side of the creepy horse head statue!

“Applejack!”

The farmpony started and shook out the cobwebs. “Whuh? Huh?”

Twilight blushed and scratched her cheek. “Yeah, I guess that was all kind of hard to follow, wasn’t it? It’s a little tricky for the uninitiated, even if it is rather basic.”

“R-right… sure.”

The princess stepped aside. “But, you know, if you’d be interested in hearing more about it, you’re welcome to come in if you-”

Before she was able to finish her sentence, Applejack was wiping off her hooves on the welcome mat. “Thank ya kindly, Twilight! Mighty kind of ya to offer!”

The door closed behind the two with a thud and Twilight returned to her seat at the center table. She levitated a fork and sampled a strawberry, covered in what looked like flour or some other kind of powdery substance.

She lifted the book and hovered it over in front of her, flipping a few pages back.

“See, I’m trying to understand the quantum arcanic effects between the grey matter in a unicorn’s frontal lobe and their cranial extrusions – or, in laypony’s terms, the horn. It’s crucial in how the synapses are able to cross dimensional boundaries to establish control over portions of the Ether without causing…”

Applejack had trained herself to phase out of conversations with Twilight after a sentence contained a certain number of syllables.

Her interests lay more with what was on the table in the first place.

Twilight pierced another piece of fruit as she continued talking magical thingamahoosits and other jibberish.

Applejack gritted her teeth as she watched Twilight’s tongue wrap sultrily around the grape, and dragged it into her mouth. The way she moaned in pleasure, the way her teeth ground out every bit of juice of the precious piece of fruit was unbearable. Just imagining its sweet and sour flavor hit her senses like a freight train.

She felt dizzy from hunger. Every fiber of her being screamed for her to gorge herself. Twilight would be taken aback by the action, but if she explained the situation after, she was sure she’d understand.

“Applejack?”

“Huh? I wasn’t doin’ nothin’!” she replied in a kneejerk reaction, crossing her forelegs on the table.

The princess stared at her, wide-eyed.

“I-I was just going to ask if you’d heard of the Morpheus Redundancy. It’s basically the primary cluster of nerves at the tip of a unicorn’s brain that connects to the horn. Magical science recently discovered that there are multiple-”

“O-oh, yeah… sorry, Twilight. Morphin’ Rangers and… stuff,” she chuckled nervously, pulling off her hat and fanning herself with it. “I guess I just ain’t in the right mind fer this here uh… uhh… magic-talk stuff. ‘Cause I, uh… ain’t had lunch yet. Yeah… that’s all there is to it.”

“Oh! I see!” Twilight said with a smile. “Well, we can always just chat a bit then. How was your morning?”

Oh, you dirty tease of a pony…

“M-m-my mornin’?”

“Do anything special with Rainbow Dash? I just realized this morning that you two’s six-month anniversary is coming up!” The princess consumed another piece of fruit; a sharp and crisp orange slice. She slid it off of the utensil with her lips pursed against the metal.

Oh, work that fork ya filthy filly – WORK IT!

Applejack licked her lips involuntarily as Twilight pierced a cherry.

Her gut growled like a feral cat.

In that moment, everything stopped. The silence was so thick that for a moment, she thought all the air had been sucked out of the room.

She looked up and found Twilight staring across the table at her, blinking, then at the fork in her magical grasp. For a moment, the farmpony thought she’d be put on the gallows for the heartless murder of common etiquette. Her cheeks burned from embarrassment, and she wished nothing more than to fall off the face of Equestria.

Then…

“Oh, I’m sorry! Where are my manners?” Twilight naïvely muffled through her napkin. “Would you like some of my fruit salad? Spike made it fresh. There’s enough for two!”

“O-oh, sugarcube, I wouldn’t wanna impose…”

Give it to me! Give it to me now, dangit!

“Oh, it’s no problem,” the alicorn waved, standing up from her floor pillow and trotting into the kitchen. She returned with a community plate full of fruit, and Applejack’s heart skipped a beat.

“Sorry if it tastes a bit on the sweet side. I gave him a big bowl of gemstones for dinner the other night and he dusted it with some powdered sugar as a thank you.”

Thank you, Spike! Thank you thank you thank you thank you! Thanks!

Applejack licked her chops at the glistening bowl of fruit set before her. It all looked sugary and sweet and delicious and fulfilling. The thoughts of the salad before her made Applejack feel as though there were an orgy already going on in her mouth. Her tail flicked in anticipation, violently knocking over a tower of books.

Twlight levitated a fork over to the bowl and pierced a fresh, bright red strawberry with it.

“Dig in!” she said, continuing on her own salad.

Uncaring of how stupid the giant grin on her face might have looked, Applejack reached for the fork, drooling in anticipation.

Her hoof hadn’t even been in contact for an instant.

“INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!”

Applejack froze immediately in her surprise and waited for whatever godless horror-contraption would come out of the blue to make her life miserable next.

She received it in the form of a pink blur plowing into her with all the force of a cannonball.

“APPLEJACK!” squealed Pinkie Pie happily. She felt her bones giving as they creaked and crackled under the pony of party’s relentless hug.

“Pin… kie…” she groaned, wriggling under the vice-like embrace. Her green eyes rolled back into her head and felt like they wanted to pop out of her skull. She struggled for breath. She landed a hoof on her friend’s face and pushed, giving herself room to gulp for air.

Pinkie, however, held fast with her crushing grip.

“PINKIE!” Applejack squeaked breathlessly.

Two metal hands extended from the ceiling and grabbed both bowls from the table. The alicorn blinked in surprise and watched as the mechanism hauled its cargo up and away.

“No! NO!” Applejack screamed, flailing her hooves towards the ceiling where the fruit salads vanished into.

The tears were unstoppable. Her lip jutted out like an infant filly ready to bawl.

“That ain’t fair,” she choked through Pinkie Pie’s merciless squeeze.

Twilight’s eye twitched. “Did my ceiling just steal my lunch?”