• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 4,636 Views, 657 Comments

The Sunshine Chronicles - TwilightUCrazy



Applejack has always wanted a family of her own, but she had thought it out of reach... until now.

  • ...
22
 657
 4,636

Shop 'til it Drops (part 3)

“Ohhh, Canterlot,” Rarity sighed happily, brushing her white hoof through her glimmering violet mane. “This is truly the stage upon which I was truly meant to perform the act that is life.”

The group paused to reflect on the magnificence of the capitol with a newfound appreciation. Most of the group hadn’t been back since the Summer Sun Celebration, and memories of its magnificence could be easily forgotten in the chaos of life.

“It’s a very pretty stage,” Fluttershy smiled.

“Why thank you, darling! It is rather suitable for me, isn’t it? The Crystal Empire may be beautiful, but it lacks a certain degree of elegance.”

The pegasus chuckled.

“What’re we doing first, Twilight?” Pinkie asked, hopping from one side of the princess to the other. “Can we visit the bakeries? Oh! Please tell me we can visit the bakeries! They have bakeries in Canterlot right?”

Twilight scowled up from the map in her telekinetic grasp and draped a wing over her hyperactive friend to still her for a moment.

“Pinkie, please! I’m trying to plot out the best path for the day. There’ll be plenty of time to do everything on everypony’s list if we’re organized about the way we go about it.”

“Well, the north district has to be first on my list! Trenderhoof just did a piece on the latest fashion lines that Fancy Pants is putting out and I have received an exclusive invitation for myself and one friend to the runway show!”

“Oh. I can go with you to the fashion show, Rarity,” Fluttershy offered with a flourish of her tail.

“You won’t be sorry, dear! This year, Fancy Pants is theming his line after natural inspirations. There’s this lovely gown he’s come out with made entirely out of eagle feathers that I’m sure would look just lovely on you.”

Twlight blinked and looked at her map. “Well, I guess we can always hit the aviary for Fluttershy while we’re over that way. Antiques and Arcane Accessories is over on that side of town as well, and I’m sure that—”

The princess felt hot breath on the nape of her neck and a weight upon her back.

Tilting her head backwards, she viewed an upside down Pinkie Pie-head, baby-blue eyes glittering with excitement.

“Bakeries?!” she chirped.

Twilight rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Pinkie, it’s the shopping district. It’s enormous. There are restaurants all over the place. I’m sure we can find a couple bakeries in there somewhere.”

“Whee!” the party pony exclaimed.

“Well, the fashion show starts at one o’clock, so Fluttershy and I best be moving in that direction if we—”

“Oh!” the pegasus gasped, something startling her.

The other three turned to face her curiously.

“What’s the matter, darling?”

“O-oh… umm… I thought I saw…” Fluttershy gulped and blushed as all of her friends eyed her. “Umm… never mind,” she muttered.

Twilight, Pinkie and Rarity looked amongst themselves and shrugged.

“Well, as I was saying. We should be getting a move on if we hope to make the show on time, Fluttershy,” Rarity said with a smile. “Now come along. We don’t want to be the last ponies in line now, do we? Fancy Pants said he had front row seating reserved just for me and a guest.”

“Oh. Umm… that’s… nice. Sorry.”

“We’ll meet you girls at Van Hoofington’s restaurant in the central plaza!” Twilight hollered with a wave as the two departed.

“If you see any bakeries, tell me where you found them!” Pinkie shouted.

Twilight sighed and smiled. “Come on, Pinkie. Let’s go find you something sweet before my tail starts looking like licorice to you…”

“Don’t be silly, Twilight!” her friend chirped, bouncing alongside her. “Your tail doesn’t look like licorice! It looks more like taffy! But the long stretchy kind. You look like the kind that comes in multiple flavors? Probably grape and raspberry, or maybe strawberry!”

“Pinkie, I’m not sure I like you thinking about what flavor my tail might be…” she said and started walking. “Come on. Antiques and Arcane Accessories is this way.”

“Hey! What do you think Fluttershy thought she saw earlier?” Pinkie asked.

“Heck if I know. Rainbow Dash, maybe?”

“Well, that would be silly. What would Rainbow Dash be doing in Canterlot on Saturday? Shouldn’t she be making sexy-times with Applejack right now?”

“Pretty sure Fluttershy didn’t see Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie.” She shuddered under the glow of a blush. "And I'd rather not think too much about Applejack and Rainbow Dash's... 's-sexy-times'..." she muttered.

“Or what if she did?!” her friend asked, grabbing her about the neck. “What if Rainbow Dash is sick?! What if she came to get treated for something?! She might need a brain transplant!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “If that’s the case, I doubt she’d be on this side of town. The hospital is just across from the palace.”

“Or! Or! What if Rainbow Dash is a top secret agent for Princess Celestia?! She could be on some kind of covert mission! What if she’s tracking a dangerous double-agent for-hire for the Blue Meanie kingdom?! She could be the only pony standing between Equestria and them stealing all the music away from ponykind forever and ever and ever!”

Twilight was unflinching, eyes instead staring at the street signs as they passed.

“Just think!” Pinkie continued, “No more spontaneous songs about smiles or cheese or farts! No more choreographed dance scenes with everypony in Ponyville!”

“No more montages,” Twilight interjected with a roll of her eyes.

“Whuh—yeah!”

The princess shook her head softly. Pinkie would be Pinkie. “I don’t think so. Rainbow Dash isn’t the kind of pony to keep secrets, Pinkie Pie, especially not from us.” She paused. “And I’m pretty sure if she was, she’d at least tell Applejack, and Applejack would tell us.”

Pinkie seemed to consider a moment. “Well… maybe…”

“And besides, do you really think that Rainbow Dash of all ponies would have the discipline it would take to be a secret agent in Princess Celestia’s service?”

Pinkie shrugged and bounced along behind the princess. “Yeah, you’re probably right. She’s probably still in bed back at home right now. No way she’d be here.”