• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 4,635 Views, 657 Comments

The Sunshine Chronicles - TwilightUCrazy



Applejack has always wanted a family of her own, but she had thought it out of reach... until now.

  • ...
22
 657
 4,635

Get a Room

"Fer the last time, no."

"Why not?! I think it's a great idea!"

"Sure ya do, but ya never had any taste to begin with."

"I do too! You said so yourself! You said I taste like morning dew."

"That is most certainly not what I'm referrin' to, and you best start apologizin' to Big Mac before ya scar 'im for life."

Rainbow looked up at her brother-in-law. "Sorry about that big guy. Sometimes I forget you're there. You okay?"

Big Mac smirked as he tossed a sprig of hay between his teeth. "Eeyup."

Applejack sniffed in frustration. "Rainbow, you are not using Wondercolts paintin's fer our baby's wallpaper. I'd sooner choke on a pear and die."

"Okay, first of all, it's the 'Wonderbolts', not 'Wondercolts'. Second of all, they're not paintings. They're 'posters'. Paintings are lame and belong in a museum or something. Posters are what's gonna be on my future foal's bedroom walls!" she said, quickly flourishing around the room.

Her wife fumed and looked up at her.

"Fer the last time, I said no!"

"Oh come on, AJ! You never let me have anything!" the pegasus pouted, coming to a landing in front of her. "First you wanted to not even let me bring 'em in the house. Now you keep trying to get me to throw 'em away!"

"'Cause that's all they're good for! Landfill!"

Rainbow grabbed one of the rolls of paper from the floor and flicked it out, unfurling it and revealing Spitfire in her academy uniform. "Give me one good reason why this wouldn't make the most awesome wallpaper ever!"

Applejack looked up and gave her a flat look. "'Cause it's tacky and in bad taste."

Rainbow crossed her forehooves and made a face. "I said a good reason," she muttered.

"The only good reason those things have to exist in the first place is as a trash bin liner!"

"Are you kidding?! Do you know how long I had to wait in line to get Major Slipstream's autograph?! They're priceless! I have the biggest collection of Wonderbolt memorabilia in all Ponyville!"

"Yeah, and just look at how much space all that junk takes up in the attic!" Applejack countered. Neither she nor Rainbow Dash took notice of Big Mac turning to leave the pair alone to argue more.

"Exactly! So we get rid of one bin of stuff and put it to good use! You get a little bit of your attic back, and I get to use my posters! Problem solved!"

"Problem not-solved! Next thing you'll wanna do is give the poor kid yer old Wondercrud jammies!"

Rainbow opened her mouth to respond.

She paused and put her hoof to her lips as her magenta eyes considered the ceiling.

Applejack's eyes widened. "Oh no..."

"Hey, yeah!"

"OH, NO!"

"We could totally do that! Granny Smith could knit a new pair of pajamas out of my old ones from when I was a little filly!"

Applejack scowled.

"Then I could decorate the dresser with those models of Spitfire, Soarin' and Fleetfoot!" she continued. "She could get my clock radio and nightlight too! And my rug could go right under the bed!" The pegasus squealed excitedly.

Her wife buried her face in her hoof, then reached up and snatched the pegasus out of the air with a quick grab of her tail. Spinning Rainbow around, Applejack confronted her with a firm expression.

"Does 'no' have some secret second meanin' I ain't aware of? It don't mean 'let's discuss it some more' or 'keep tryin' to convince me'. No means no means no!"

"Awwww, come on, AJ! She's not just gonna be your foal, y'know!" Rainbow pouted.

Applejack paused and turned her eyes to the side. She didn't have an answer for that.

"Rainbow..."

"Oh, come on! We're talking a baby foal here! The kid won't care! And then when they get older, they'll want to be just as awesome as their heroes are! I mean, of course our foal's gonna be way past awesome anyway, but..."

Applejack sighed and shook her head. "Why can't we just paint it a nice and soothin' sky blue? We could even paint little clouds in it if ya want!"

Rainbow Dash plopped down onto her rump and frowned, crossing her hooves tightly over her chest. It was the same movement she made when she absolutely refused to move on an issue.

Applejack sighed and used the only weapon left in her arsenal. She'd used logic. She'd used yelling. She'd even threatened no sex earlier. She thought that it'd worked for a moment when the pegasus gave a moment's pause. Rainbow had realized, though, that Applejack enjoyed the sex just as much as she did, so that was a non-starter.

All she had left was guilt.

The farmpony lowered her rump to the ground and pinned her ears back. "Rainbow, pleeeeeease?"

It worked.

Rainbow bit her lip so firmly that she drained the color out of it. She could physically see the willpower leaving her as her stiff and combative wings drooped towards the floor slowly.

Her wife sighed heavily and slumped defeatedly to the ground. "Fine..." she grumbled.

Applejack thought she'd want to leap for joy and thank the heavens that her mate had seen logic and entrusted the choice to her.

Something about what she had said though... those words she'd spoken: "She's not just gonna be your foal, y'know!"

They'd bothered her.

Much as Applejack wanted to take credit for carrying the baby, nourishing it, sheltering it, and growing it to birth, she knew she couldn't take full responsibility for it. Heavens knew what Rainbow Dash had done those two long weeks to earn her her life's dream... what dangers she might have put herself in for her sake.

She looked at Rainbow, her mate's ears lowered in defeat, wings resting against the floor. Even her rainbow-hued mane and tail seemed to shimmer less brightly.

It was like somepony had taken the sun from the day.

It wasn't victory she felt, but guilt in equal measure of her own.

Rolling her eyes, Applejack heaved a heavy sigh and smiled half-heartedly at her wife.

"Alright, you win..." She raised a hoof to her forehead and shook her head. "You can have yer silly Wonderbolt wallpaper..."

A wash of air brushed over her coat and caused her to flinch as Rainbow bolted upright and nearly crashed straight into her in excitement. "I can?!"

The farmpony offered a slim smile. "You can."

Applejack could hear the excited squeak leaking out of her wife. She tried to contain it. She was failing.

The farmpony cut her off.

"But yer puttin' it up yerself!" she snapped, shoving her hoof into the pegasus's chest. "And I get to make all the other decisions about decorations, the crib, and furniture too!" she snorted.

Rainbow Dash's smile was no less brilliant than before, collapsing into her and squeezing her affectionately. "I woulda settled for one poster, y'know," she whispered with a smirk.

"Ugh..."

Author's Note:

Next prompt: Shopping