• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 2,989 Views, 88 Comments

Where's the Beef? - Mare Macabre



After an odd gift from a friend, Fluttershy's one-time binge turns into a morbid addiction. Can her friends help her? Or does she even want their help?

  • ...
3
 88
 2,989

Sarcastic Ending

Fluttershy was standing in her living room. There was precious little else to do with her time now that the major conflict of her story arc had been settled and I completely ran out of ideas for the main storyline. Sure eventually she would tell the remaining three ponies that matter to the narrative by means of having been mentioned at some point, but that would likely happen offscreen and be mentioned at a later date in a later, completely unrelated story.

The phone rang suddenly and distracted the vacantly staring pegasus from her nonexistent occupation.

"Hello?" she answered, as one traditionally does when a phone is ringing.

<Hey, Fluttershy, it's Twilight,> a voice on the other end responded.

"Oh hi, Twilight. How is being a princess going?"

<Pretty much not at all. I apparently don't do anything unless there's a national crisis. It would seem Equestria is far from wont for dictatorial rule by omnipotent beings,> the alicorn sighed. <Anyway, I was calling because I just remembered something. Didn't you say your whole predator thing was largely to do with your liking the taste of blood?>

"That sounds like something I might have said at one point, yes," the butter yellow pegasus nodded.

<Well... aren't you like, part vampire or something?> Twilight asked, examining her hoof. <Isn't that a thing that happened?>

Fluttershy stared vacantly at the wall across from her for a few moments before flicking an ear.

"Yes, actually, I think it is."

<So then... well there's the whole answer to your thing you had going on,> Twilight shrugged, shifting the phone to her shoulder as she really got a good look at that hoof.

"Right," Fluttershy nodded, a distant grin frozen on her face. "So... I pretty much struggled with crippling depression and mutilated myself for no reason, didn't I?"

<That seems to be the thing that happened,> Twilight confirmed, levitating over a magnifying glass to get a better idea of the properties of the hoof that she was examining. <Zecora's not a doctor anyway, I don't know why you blindly trusted her medical expertise. It's pretty much not possible to tell things about ponies just from looking at their muscles.> She sent the magnifier back to her desk in favor of something with more power. <I mean, pretty much most things with a quadrupedal stance will have the same or similar basic muscular anatomy.>

Fluttershy nodded throughout her friend's long-winded speech, still smiling and staring at the wall.

"I see."

A moment of silence passed between them before Fluttershy cleared her throat and Twilight finished adjusting her hoof under a microscope.

"Twilight I'm going to have to call you back, I'm having a nervous breakdown," Fluttershy said politely.

<Alright,> the princess nodded. <Glad I could help,>

Fluttershy set the phone back on its receiver without looking at it, her body save for the arm that had held the phone stiff as a board. She then set it across from the other, standing in a neutral pose, then flopped onto her side, the action accompanied by a perfectly appropriate and well-timed sound effect of wood blocks knocking together as her stiff body rattled against the ground.

I then wordlessly meandered into the room and scribbled the words "Non-Canon" over her face in sharpy before carrying the wooden horse into a similarly labeled cardboard box in the corner of the room, then sat down at her typewriter and started on a story about her being a vampire rather than whatever nebulous thing she was in this story.

Thuh Enn

Author's Note:

In all seriousness, canon continues to disprove and confound me and I may or may not alter existing stories depending on whether I like what elements it would add and how that would effect the narrative. Also, the major arc in this story is done, but I may still come back to it later on with that dramatic reveal or some similar such thing.

In the meantime, it's officially finished. Right now I'm focusing on Parachronal and a little something to follow up I Can Explain.

So... hit and miss, basically. Or miss and hit, I guess. Either way, Happy New Year, y'all.

Comments ( 16 )

.............. a month later fltutershy is in intensive care from malnutrition and digestive issues.

lol best ending ever I was wondering how the writer was going to take the bats ep once I got to see it:rainbowlaugh: id say sue them because they stole your hole story and just change a couple of things and happen to own the hole rites to the show

Slap an AU tag on it and everything will be fine. Fluttershy didnt become a carnivorous vampire bat, so your idea was still different and the show probably wont ever revisit flutterbat ever again except maybe as a passing reference.

And who cares about canon that much anyways? Ever read Star Wars: Heir to the Empire? It was written before the second trilogy was ever planned and goes against current star wars canon, but Damn! Its still worth reading. Thrawn? :raritystarry: Best. Villiain. Ever.

well...huh :applejackconfused: shit

3709358
Everything I write already has an AU tag on it. I certainly don't work within the canon of the show, but I have my own continuity I'd like to maintain that I base loosely on canon. And ideas like Flutterbat or Vampshier or whatever are too interesting and have too much potential to not incorporate them into my universe, even if it means a retcon of the established timeline.

On the other hoof, I'd really exhausted the idea and inspiration behind this little story. It was meant to be a short thing for Halloween (and actually much darker and more violent than it ended up being), and I think it turned out decently enough. Plus I haven't connected it to anything else in my Equestria through other stories, so scrubbing it from canon won't really have any effect on the world as a whole.

Either way, I'm counting the story as a success. It's a little rough in some regards, but I like it and apparently a few other people do too.

3711945

Well I stand corrected and am disappointed in my powers of observation.

Good story while it lasted then.

Huzzah!

3772409
Oh shit, thanks.

And I know equines are technically omnivorous, but that doesn't make for good storytelling. In this case at least.

This is officially one of my new favorite stories. Wonderful job! :yay::heart::yay::heart::yay:

To damn short it was good but you could have turned this into a 200,000 word thing man.

Awww... I want more! This could have easly turn into a half a million word story, and I would read every sentence! ;)

This story is much, much better than I thought it would be. The first chapter had me worried that it would be a gorefest, but it wasn't at all. You do a great job of integrating the premise into canon so that it made sense, and you get inside Fluttershy's head very effectively. I enjoyed every word.

And now a shameless mini fic with bad writing! :pinkiehappy:


And meanwhile on the other side of town the CMC were walking down a path to find a good place for lunch. When suddenly Scootaloo paused with her lunchbox in hoof before slowly tip hoofing away the other two notice and turn to her.

Applebloom: huh? Where are y'all goin Scoots?

Scootaloo: oh! Umm... I-I just remembered I gotta do something... With somepony, ill be right back girls!

Scootaloo galloped off and the other two just glanced at each other confusedly

Sweetie Belle: she does this every Monday, where is she even going?

Applebloom: hay if ah know...

Sweetie Belle: should we, you know... investigate?

Applebloom: nah she'll tell us when she's ready.

Sweetie Belle: okay...

Meanwhile Scootaloo darted into a nearby Bush outside of the view of any other ponies and glanced around nervously before opening her lunch bag and pulling out a strip of bacon and began Nomming it ravenously

Scootaloo: mmmm... Its so delicious!

She began to look bummed out despite the wonderful flavors in her mouth.

Scootaloo: Rainbow Dash can never find out that I'm part maticore... She'll freak out for sure...

She heard rustling nearby and glanced about quickly before finishing her bacon and running off to go join her friends.

Hope you enjoyed :twilightsmile:

9061854
I suddenly want to see where that goes. That concept is so intriguing that I'm curious.

9736058
Thanks! :twilightsmile:

Anyone can use this if they want.

Login or register to comment