• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 2,989 Views, 88 Comments

Where's the Beef? - Mare Macabre



After an odd gift from a friend, Fluttershy's one-time binge turns into a morbid addiction. Can her friends help her? Or does she even want their help?

  • ...
3
 88
 2,989

Late Nights and Early Lunches

Fluttershy had an itch. An unscratchable itch in the pit of her stomach. Her skin crawled. Her wings jittered. Her body twisted and writhed, coiling her heavy sheets tighter and tighter around her burning body. She rose from the mattress, her comforter falling away, and her frustratingly hot and sweaty body began to steam in the frigid air. The pegasus slipped from her bed, shaking as heat vented from her pores into the cold night, and silently crept to the stairs and down into her den. She scanned the room, ensuring that all was calm and quiet, then cracked the door only enough to squeeze through and slunk out into the night.
-----------------

On many nights, the Everfree forest was far from quiet. The sounds of night birds and other nocturnal creatures would permeate the air and give the wood a sense of mystery and danger, even if there was none at hand. Distant sounds of scratching claws and thumping feet would echo to the ear and fill lost souls with unease and discomfort.

On this night, silence reigned. Not a bat chirped, not a rodent scurried, not a lone wolf cried at the heavy moon above. The forest was still, the wind barely daring to whisper as it swept through the many trees and picked the loosest of leaves from their branches. Word had gotten out quickly. Someone had seen the yellow terror slip from her home and disappear into the shadows of the forest.

The hunter was among them.

The creatures of the night that dared to venture out of their dens were cautious, stopping often to examine their surroundings and listen for disturbances. Bats and birds were ever-vigilant, watching for odd shapes in the darkness to warn their earthbound brethren.

A raccoon slunk from tree to tree, smelling at the sharp, cold air at every pause. He leapt from cover, swiping an uncollected nut from the forest floor, then darted back to place his back to a tree. At the outer edge of the forest, the twisted and gnarled roots were scarce, giving him little cover to do his work, but he hid as best he could between bouts of foraging.

A sound caught his ear. His body went rigid. The gathered rations were dropped immediately. His ears twitched and swiveled as he slowly turned his head, seeking out the source of the noise. He lowered onto all four paws, turning and searching less frantically as nothing stood out as odd in the woods. After a final sweep of the area he began to gather up his dropped nuts and wrote off the sound as paranoia. He picked up the final piece of his collection and stood, turning to return to his den, but froze.

In a gap in the trees, beyond a beam of moonlight, from within a harsh, black shadow, a steamy white plume of smoke wafted into the air. The raccoon’s grip on his gathered food items tightened as he watched the condensed breath disperse into the air, his ears turning fully toward his front to listen for whatever lurked in the dark beyond his view. He heard a shallow, shaking inward breath, crisp leaves grinding into the ground beneath shifting weight, the quiet tapping of saliva dripping to the ground, and finally, as the creature finally seemed to notice that he had noticed it, a very quiet, rumbling growl.

The raccoon remained fixed where he stood, his body rigidly resisting his attempts to move it. As he watched the shadow, another puff of hot breath seeped out into the moonbeam, and another shift allowed him to see a glint of silver reflecting off the creature’s eyes. He heard the nuts fall from his numb arms, his brain working overtime to regain control of his fear-addled extremities, then tensed as he heard a thumping sound off to his side.

His ears and eyes shot toward the noise, his head turning just enough to betray his distraction, and, only too late, he realized his mistake.

A pale yellow streak peeled out of the darkness in an instant, wings flared and forelegs outstretched, and crashed into the raccoon before he even heard the roar that accompanied her strike. She slammed down her hoof, pinning him to his back, and snorted as the force of her pounce dissipated and they slid to a stop in the shadows opposite her hiding place. The raccoon was shocked, too stunned even to respond to her attack, and the wild eyed pegasus took the opportunity to whip her head down and close her jaws around his throat.

The raccoon went rigid, his eyes wide and mouth hanging loosely open as he felt teeth touch his neck. His paws shot up to the hoof that held him down, his legs twitching for a moment, but he soon fell still. He breathed slowly, fighting the urge to pass out, and cautiously turned his gaze down to the pink maned pony that held him in her jaws.

Fluttershy remained still, her teeth pressing into the raccoon’s skin and jaw shaking. Her eyelids tightened around her closed eyes, the jittering of her jaw spreading down her neck, and very slowly twisted and lifted her head. She heard the raccoon gasp as she moved and stopped for a moment, her jaws tightening around him, but she quickly jerked her head up and away from the critter and clamped her teeth down on empty air. The muscles in her face and neck twitched and bucked, struggling to open her mouth again despite her efforts, and she had to clench her teeth to keep her jaws under control. After several seconds of twisting and turning and snapping her jaws shut, she eventually regained enough control to relax her neck and open her eyes.

Doing so brought her face to face with the raccoon. He stared at her, frightened and confused, and Fluttershy shied away from his scared, accusing glare. She tried to speak, but quickly clamped her mouth shut again as her head lurched toward him, making the raccoon flinch. Eventually she parted her lips and spoke to him through clenched teeth.

“D...Do you submit?” she whispered.

The raccoon’s narrowed eyes blinked wide. ...What?

Fluttershy blushed and turned her eyes away from him, but leaned her head closer. “That is, um...c-can I...eat you?”

The raccoon blinked again, staring dumbly at the bashful predator, then remembered himself and shook his head.

I...n-no, he answered slowly.

Fluttershy winced, expecting but detesting the answer, and lifted herself from her crouch. She tensed the leg that pinned the raccoon to the ground, lessening its grip, but hesitated.

“Um...are you sure?” she asked a bit sadly.

The raccoon nodded quickly. Please don’t eat me.

The pegasus bit her lip, looking as though she might ignore his order, but, with some effort, removed her hoof from his stomach. The raccoon continued to stare at her for a moment before slowly getting to his feet. He gave the predacious pony a once over, nervously backing away from her, then turned and gathered up the nuts he had foraged. Fluttershy’s muscles tightened as he turned his back on her, her body leaning slightly before she could stop it, and the raccoon quickly looked back at her as he heard her let out a tense breath. She looked away, fighting to turn her body with her head, and the raccoon stood and backed away from her before turning and disappearing into the night.

Fluttershy‘s entire body shook with the effort it took not to pursue him. Her hooves dug circles into the loamy dirt as she fought to keep them still, her jaw jittering with cold and strain as she kept it shut-tight. After she could no longer hear the scratching of the raccoon’s claws, she finally let herself relax, the tension instantly draining from her muscles and almost making her collapse. She heaved a deep, shaking sigh, shivering now more for the chill in the air than the heat in her body, and steadied herself against the tree beside her.

A whisper caught her ear and drew her eyes to a branch above. A bat hung from the tree next to hers, and it cocked its head as she looked up at it. Another bat on a nearby branch turned and whispered something into the dark, a bird-like shape dropping out of the tree and flitting off into the forest. Fluttershy followed it as far as she could see it, then blinked and turned as she heard more hushed conversation. A family of opossums ducked out of her sight across the clearing as she looked at them, but poked their heads out of the cover of a root and returned her gaze. A rat ran from the other side of the tree, squeaking and chirping as it vanished into the woods.

Fluttershy’s head swiveled in all directions as quiet noises filled the forest – whispers spreading through the trees in every direction and tiny padded feet skittering along the packed dirt of the forest floor. She felt eyes on her, spotted the glint of moonlight on black orbs everywhere she looked, and backed herself into the tree behind her. The whispers grew louder, more plentiful, and the panicked pegasus began to take quick, shallow breaths of the sharp, frigid air.

Through the thick haze of her rapid breaths, a face appeared, and Fluttershy froze where she sat.

Good job, Pup.

Fluttershy blinked. The fox flashed her a sly grin as he sat and nodded, a young badger poking its head out from behind him as he did. The pony looked down at the small rodent and the two regarded each other in silence. Tentatively, slowly, the badger crept out from behind his guardian and cautiously edged closer to the rumored monster. Fluttershy watched it approach and extended a foreleg as it neared. The badger flinched, expecting to be snatched up, but relaxed a bit as it saw that the hoof remained where it hung.

Fluttershy stared blankly, almost in a trance-like state of confusion and bewilderment, as the young badger finally leaned close and sniffed at her hoof. It shied away as she moved it slightly, making the pony pause, but was quick to return to examining it. After a few seconds, the badger took a final step closer and nudged the hoof with its head, and Fluttershy ran her hoof down its neck in a gentle pat.

A breath escaped the stunned pegasus, one she hadn’t realized she’d been holding, and, as it left her, it felt as though the entire forest had collectively released a breath of its own.

A bat flitted down from a high branch and landed next to the distracted pegasus, startling her, but crawled closer and stared questioningly until the other hoof came down and began to scratch behind its ear. It chirped happily, drawing another bat to its side, and its companion was greeted the same.

An opossum leaned out from around the tree, watching quietly as the badger that had approached was stroked like a cat, then shuffled out from its hiding spot and tugged jealously at the yellow pony’s leg. The stroking hoof paused, twitching, then shifted and rustled the fur on the back of the opossum’s neck.

Fluttershy looked around in a daze as the forest came alive, creatures of night, and even some of day, filing out of their hiding places to crowd around her and demand affection. She greeted them all with gentle pats and scratches, her body moving with muscle memory as her mind struggled to process what had happened. Eventually, her focus returned to the grinning fox, and he gave a calm, reassuring nod.

The pegasus felt a sudden pain in her throat. Her lips drew taught around her teeth, her nose scrunching and eyes narrowing as they began to sting. Her petting drew slower as her forelegs began to lose their strength and tremble, until they fell limply at her sides. The gathered animals shifted nervously, watching with concern as a long, shaking breath leaked out of their rediscovered friend and steaming tears began to trickle down her face. Fluttershy sniffed loudly, clenching her mouth shut to keep herself quiet. She closed her eyes and leaned her head against a skunk that had nuzzled against her face in worry, weakly lifting her hooves and placing them on whatever animal they found. The critters nuzzled close to her, comforting her, and Fluttershy felt the numbness in her extremities overpowered by the heat of their bodies and swelling warmth that filled her chest.

A quiet growl made her flinch, all the animals jumping as the sound hit their ears. Fluttershy opened her eyes, looking around with an apologetic expression, then cleared her throat and sniffled again.

“S-sorry,” she offered meekly.

The animals relaxed, shooting glances at her stomach as they returned to her sides, and the pony felt a tiny smile creep across her face as they returned their attention to her. An opossum among them poked its head out of the group and stepped in front of her, then quietly squeaked an offer to her. The other animals quieted as they looked at it, then turned their eyes back to Fluttershy. Fluttershy twitched as it spoke, biting her lip as the thought crossed her mind, but found that the decision was actually surprisingly easy to make.

“Th-thank you, but no,” she said softly, petting the opossum. “I think...I think I’d rather have a salad.”
------------------------

Twilight trotted happily through the central road of Ponyville, nodding and waving as what few of its residents still bowed or greeted her reverently did so as she passed. She spared little attention to invitations to tribute or offerings, politely waving them away as she tried to maintain her brisk pace through the market street. While it was true she still enjoyed the attention, even went slightly out of her way to walk through town rather than teleport to her destination or fly over it, she had a mission to complete that could not be set aside forever – information that she was giddy to share and hopeful would be of use to her psychologically addled friend.

Once she was through the streets and near the edge of town, she finally decided to focus her magic and jump the rest of the way to the dirt path outside the caretaker’s cottage. She galloped the rest of the way to the front door, pausing at the stoop to collect herself, then nocked and waited for a response.

“Come in~!” a voice sang from inside.

Twilight was taken aback. The voice was Fluttershy’s, but it sounded...odd. A bit louder than she would have expected, perhaps. She shook her head as she pushed in the door and stepped into her friend’s home.

“Fluttershy?” she called, looking around. She frowned as she noticed a bird peeking at her from inside one of the many birdhouses in the pegasus’ den. Then another.

“Oh, Twilight! Is that you?” the sing-song voice called from the kitchen. “I’m making a salad! You want a bowl?”

Twilight leaned around the door to find her friend aloft in the kitchen, flitting back and forth as she collected ingredients and threw them into a large salad bowl. She stepped into view, watching the pegasus hum happily and make light conversation with a few birds that fluttered around the room with her and some rodents that went about making their own food on the floor. The alicorn raised an eyebrow, confused by Fluttershy’s cheery demeanor, but felt the calm of the admittedly odd situation work its way into her.

“Uh...sure,” she eventually answered. “That sounds pretty good actually.”

Fluttershy glanced at her with a smile and flitted over to her fridge to retrieve more lettuce and Angel hopped out the door toting some silverware. Twilight followed after him into the back yard, her eyes darting around as she took note of the wildlife that seated around the yard. Some of the gathered animals were eating lunches of their own, while others were simply there to converse, the scene almost reminding Twilight of the many restaurants around Ponyville she had passed on her way to the cottage.

Angel hopped onto a mushroom-like table and deposited the silverware with a huff, then turned and hopped down to return to the kitchen. Twilight threw a hoof in front of him, catching the rabbit before he could return and eliciting an annoyed squeak.

“Angel, what’s going on?” she whispered, leaning close to the little rabbit. “Fluttershy’s acting weirdly happy. Is she...like, alright? In the head?”

The white rabbit glared at her for her accusation, but relented as he heard his housemate’s cheerful humming. He fixed Twilight with a tired smile and nodded, making the purple princess relax slightly and let him get back to his tasks. Angel hesitated for a moment before hopping back into the house, passing Fluttershy as she exited and flew over to the table.

“Have a seat, Twilight,” she invited. “I’ll get the other bowl.”

She flitted past her friend in the other direction, slipping around the corner as she entered the house. Twilight, meanwhile, wandered over to the table and sat at one side, eyeing the salad suspiciously. To her relief, the bowl contained nothing but fruit and vegetables with a light drizzling of olive oil. She licked her lips as she examined it, the sight actually making her hungry, and she grinned as her friend returned with two bowls and a set of salad forks.

“How was the summit, Twilight? Did you meet any interesting po- er, gryphons?” Fluttershy asked as she tossed the salad.

“I did, actually,” the alicorn nodded, taking her bowl in her magic and jabbing at it with her fork. “One that reminded me a lot of you, in fact. He was really...quiet.”

Fluttershy blinked at hearing that, pausing in serving herself. “Really?”

“Mm hm,” Twilight bobbed her head, her mouth full. “Guy was huge though. Head and shoulders taller than AJ’s brother.”

Fluttershy finally landed across from her friend and set her salad on the table. “Wow, really?”

Twilight continued to nod as she swallowed her food, then grinned at her friend. “And speaking of gryphons, I did a little more research while I was in Canterlot about...your uh...condition,” she said with a wince, reluctant to address the problem. Fluttershy paused in her chewing, staring at her guest, and Twilight thought for a moment that something seemed off about her face, but she continued. “Um...right, research. Well, while Celestia was talking to me about greeting the gryphon dignitaries, she told me that they roar at others to display their dominance. Kind of like lions,” she shrugged.

Fluttershy nodded. “I’ve read that a lot of big cats will do that,” she agreed.

“Right. But Celestia said that they only do that when they feel like their dignity or their dominance might be contested. The only reason they roared at us was because they wanted to gain control of the negotiations before they actually started. Celestia totally blew them away with her roar though,” the purple pony smirked, reclining slightly. “That was something to see.”

Fluttershy smiled brightly and covered her mouth to keep her food from spilling as she spoke. “I’ll bet. What does that have to do with me though?”

Twilight sat up. “Everything!” she said excitedly. “Fluttershy, gryphons will only challenge other gryphons for dominance. They don’t consider ponies to be worth the effort,” she scoffed. “But, you remember Dash’s ex-bestie Gilda?”

Fluttershy paused and looked up from her salad with a scowl. “Of course. I knew her before you did, you know. She was always awful.”

“I can imagine,” Twilight murmured. “But, you remember when she came to Ponyville? And ran into you in the market?”

Fluttershy frowned. “Yes?”

“She roared at you!” Twilight exclaimed, spreading her wings excitedly.

Fluttershy blinked, connecting the dots Twilight had laid out. “...You think...she knew...?”

Twilight grinned smugly, waving a hoof. “Well, I think she at least felt there was something there to be concerned about. She was kind of a jerk, but even so, she would have to be even more petty than Dash described to want to establish dominance over a regular pony. And the only other time she roared was in frustration at the party,” she shrugged. “Anyway, that gave me an idea. I got into the old history section of the royal library last night, and found quite a few interesting things back there. Did you know that Equestria and the Gryphon Kingdom used to have a shared territory to the Northeast? One over which a certain hub of the proud pegasus population used to reside?”

The yellow pony blinked and lowered her fork. “No, I didn’t.”

Twilight cocked an eyebrow. “Then you probably also didn’t know that said collection of castle-like cumulonimbi once had a nearly even distribution of population between pegasus ponies and gryphons.”

Again Fluttershy blinked, a hoof lifting to her chin. “That...that makes sense...”

Twilight nodded. “Or that many families of the Old Kingdom had members of bo-...wait, what makes sense?”

“Well, that would explain how I’m part gryphon,” Fluttershy mused, looking up at her friend.

Twilight stared at her for a moment before sputtering gibberish. “W-I-y-h-how did you...what?”

Fluttershy blushed. “Well, I went to Zecora on Thursday after you left. You...left me something by accident I think, and I went to her for help making it...” she faltered at remembering what she had gone to the herbalist for, but shook herself. “But, she apparently knew that something was going on in the forest, and figured out that it was me that was causing all the trouble. She, um...studied me, or something, compared my body to some notes she had, and said I was probably part gryphon.”

Twilight shook her head in quiet disbelief. “That’s...wow. How does she do that?”

Fluttershy shrugged. “I don’t know, it amazed me too.”

She took a forkful of her salad and cocked her head, chewing thoughtfully, and Twilight once again got a sense that something was off about the pony sitting across from her. She was obviously Fluttershy, there was no mistaking it, but something...something about her just wasn’t right. Something about her face.

Fluttershy swallowed her food and continued.

“She offered to help me though. She had these potions locked up in...” she considered if she should tell her friend the location of the zebra’s secret stash, ultimately deciding against it, “um...well, she had a few potions already brewed, and she told me she could make me stop liking the taste of meat.”

Twilight perked up at that. “Really? How?”

Fluttershy shrugged. “She said the potion would change my tongue a little and make it so I didn’t like it anymore.” She frowned. “Or...no, actually, she said it would make me a full pony, and then the change would just happen as a result.”

Twilight’s eyes widened a little. “A...a genetic recombination formula? She has one?”

Fluttershy shrugged again. “I guess. I don’t really know what they were.”

Twilight’s eyes drifted as she considered her friend’s words, her ear twitching as she thought, then she frowned and looked back at the pegasus.

“...They?”

Fluttershy shied away from her guest, discouraged by her tone, but nodded. “There were two.”

Twilight set her fork down. “What did the other one do?”

“Um...” Fluttershy fidgeted, “She said...it would make me an omnivore...”

Twilight eye twitched. The word, omnivore, something about hearing it made the reason for her disquiet at the sight of her friend suddenly click in her mind. Her mouth – the shape of her jaw, the width of her muzzle – had changed since she’d last seen her. It was a slight change, one that anyone with ordinary powers of perception would likely miss, but one that threw Twilight into the depths of the uncanny valley. She leaned closer, propping herself on the table, and narrowed her eyes at the increasingly nervous pegasus’ snout.

“...Open your mouth,” she said after a moment of silence.

Fluttershy lowered her head slightly, but brought it forward and parted her lips. Her friend stood and leaned over the table, taking the initiative she would not, and used a hoof to peel back her lips and extend her mouth open.

Twilight’s eyes widened as she saw what had caused the change to her friend’s face. All of her teeth, even her jaw itself, had changed proportions. Her cuspids, what had been little more than nubs of bone extending from her jaw, curled menacingly upward and back, extending beyond her incisors like the fangs of a jungle cat. Her premolars, once resting at the base of her tongue, had shifted forward and closed the gap between her teeth, and now had sharp ridges and deep grooves. Her molars were right behind them, and, while they had not changed in shape, they had changed in size, and were marginally smaller than what Twilight had expected.

Fluttershy winced as Twilight slowly let her lips fold back into place, sinking back onto her haunches across the table. She stared blankly in Fluttershy’s direction, the gears in her head obviously turning, then clucked her tongue and ran a hoof down her face.

“Okay...” she sighed, crossing a hoof over her chest, “Uh...pfshh...why?”

Fluttershy toyed with her mane, refusing to meet her guest’s eyes. “I...Well...”

“Actually, wait,” Twilight cut in, raising a hoof, “I know why. You’re addicted. You couldn’t stop yourself. I just...” She pinched the bridge of her nose. “I really wish you would’ve at least waited for me to get back. I could’ve helped you through this, you know.”

“But...” Fluttershy spoke up, then flinched as Twilight looked at her. “B-but I don’t think I really am addicted.” Twilight frowned and shifted her position, staring incredulously at her friend. “I think...I think I may have just...not known enough...”

“Fluttershy, this is going to kill you,” Twilight whispered exasperatedly. “You were crying your eyes out about this three days ago! Do you really think enabling this behavior is going to help you?”

“I’m not enabling though,” Fluttershy countered, sitting up a little straighter, “I’m learning. I felt guilty about what I did, yes, and I still do, but...Twilight, there’s a whole culture surrounding predation that I didn’t know about. If I follow the rules and behave responsibly I can do this.

The alicorn brought her hooves together in front of her snout, and took a calming breath. “Okay, assume you do get over whatever trauma this has caused you already, can you really continue? Is it something you want to do for the rest of your life? Kill?

Fluttershy set her jaw, scowling at her friend. “I don’t like that it has to happen, bu—“

“It doesn’t have to happen, though!” Twilight cut in. “You could have just taken the pony potion and been done with it!”

The yellow pegasus flared her wings suddenly, making Twilight fall away from the table.

I am—“ Fluttershy blinked and folded her wings, lowering from her straight-backed position. “I’m...I’m not a pony though, Twilight. Not completely. Even if this is only a small part of who I am, it’s still a part. Wasn’t one of your first lessons something about being true to who you are?”

Twilight sat up, staring at her host in shock. “I did say something like that, but...Fluttershy, this is dif—“

The alicorn stopped suddenly, her eyebrows snapping together in a deep frown. She stared at her friend, her muddled thoughts rolling over each other, then slowly lowered her gaze to the table.

“No...No, I...guess it isn’t different,” she conceded. “You’re part carnivore. Eating meat should be natural to you.” She held her gaze at the table a moment more before looking up, her eyes full of concern. “Are you sure this is what you want though?”

Fluttershy narrowed an eye at the purple pony, but soon allowed herself to relax. “I think so,” she nodded, flashing her friend a smile. “I think...I think things are going to be okay now.”

Twilight glanced at the animals in the yard. “Do they all know?”

“Most of them,” Fluttershy sighed. “I haven’t made an announcement, but gossip travels pretty quickly in the woods.”

Twilight let this sink in. “What about...?”

“Everyone else?” Fluttershy pursed her lips. “I’m going to tell Dashie tonight. Other than that...I don’t know.” She watched an otter run through a group of its siblings, then squeal happily as they gave chase. “They deserve to know. I just don’t know if I can tell them.”


“If you want me to do it, I will,” Twilight offered. “You’ve been through a lot recently. You shouldn’t have to do everything yourself."

Fluttershy smiled and closed her eyes. “Thank you, Twilight. I think I should tell them though.” She returned her focus to the princess of magic. “I just need some time.”

Twilight considered her friend. Her back was straight, her chin was raised, her eyes were level – everything that made her seem weak or cowardly had faded away in her moment of relaxation, displaying to her guest what a truly profound effect resolving the issue of her so-called addiction had had. The young alicorn nodded and returned her friend’s smile. Fluttershy dipped her head as well, then turned her focus to the salad that had been forgotten as their conversation picked up.

“I think...I’ll ah...” she mused, pushing the bowl away from herself.

Twilight straightened slightly. “Now?”

The pegasus nodded, standing and stepping around the table. “It helps me think. And Drew said I should practice what he taught me as much as I can.” Twilight stood as well, taking her announcement as her cue to leave, but was stopped by a tight hug. “Thank you for helping me, Twilight. I only would have gotten worse without you.”

Twilight hesitated for a moment before returning the hug. “Just...be careful,” she whispered.

Fluttershy withdrew and nodded solemnly, then turned and meandered into the crowd of creatures in her yard. She looked back and forth as she went, meeting eyes with several of them, before stopping next to a gopher that seemed to respond to her in some way. She dipped her head, the gopher repeating the action, and then wandered out of her yard to the fence. The gopher turned and said something to its companion, then followed her to the edge of the yard. Just as it neared her, it started to sprint, and vanished into the trees beyond the pegasus’ home, and Fluttershy turned and bolted after it.

Twilight watched the exchange in quiet apprehension. It seemed oddly organized and formal the way it played out. She mulled over the thought of asking more about the ‘culture of predation’ Fluttershy had mentioned later that day, or possibly the next, but let the thought slip from her mind as she picked a cucumber slice out of her salad and excused herself from the table. She spared a glance at the animals, finding them surprisingly calm despite what she assumed they knew was happening, then slipped around the cottage and started on her way back to the library.