• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 1,778 Views, 16 Comments

Cough Syrup - Closer-To-The-Sun



Soarin gets a job offer on the west coast for the summer. While Spitfire is happy for her comrade, she is beginning to feel some past emotions for him resurface.

  • ...
0
 16
 1,778

Chapter 4: Floating Vibes

The next morning, Spitfire woke up with a pounding head. After a few hours of waiting for her hangover to pass, the orange mare went out to the Wondebolt’s training ground. Taking her time, as to not shake up her stomach contents or to cause herself to trip, she made her way over to the track. Looking at the empty field, she began to trot around the track. Her pace, however, was limited due to her persistent cough. Amongst her trotting around the track, she heard a voice call out to her.

“Hey, Spitfire!”

The pegasus looked to the source to see Soarin in his Wonderbolt uniform over near the bleachers. The blue stallion was waving to Spitfire.

Changing her direction, Spitfire glided over to her teammate, “Hey, Soarin, what are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same, we’re off on the weekends, remember?” the stallion spoke with a smile both on his face and in his voice.

Spitfire smirked, “Obviously, but I usually come over here early every morning to work out a bit to start my day. This morning, however, I kinda woke up a bit more….”

“Drunk?” Soarin joked. The mare glared at Soarin for his comment. His response to Spitfire was a burst of laughter, “What? Did I hit the nail on the head?”

Spitfire rolled her eyes as she continued, “Anyway, I just don’t want to break the habit, no matter how late I do this….or how annoying a cough might get.”

“Well, good to see you’re dedicated to that.”

“What about you, pie boy? Don’t you have to head out to the west today?”

Soarin smiled as he looked across the track and field, “Yeah, I have to get going soon, but I just can’t bring myself to leave this place just yet. A lot of good memories here, ya know?”

The mare also turned to look in the same direction, “I know what you mean.”

The smile on the stallion’s face seemed to glow as he continued, “I know we came from Cloudsdale and all, but this field alone feels like a second home. All the time we spent here practicing, training, and all of that. Haha, remember when we first came here for training?”

“Yeah, what was, five years ago when we showed up here?” Spitfire thought.

“Five years. Right after we finished up with high school, we both applied for the Wonderbolts. For the time trials, we kept squaring off against each other. Since they did that, I just kept trying to keep up with your speed and, well, look at me now, a true, blue Wonderbolt,” Soarin reminisced. He closed his eyes as he chuckled a bit, “I honestly didn’t care about really getting in, more just to try and make it so you have to do your best against the other fliers.”

“Wait, what?” Spitfire turned her attention back to Soarin after coughing a couple times.

“I never really cared to be a Wonderbolt. To be honest, my real dream job would have been working at the cloud factory like my dad back in Cloudsdale. But don’t get me wrong, Spitfire, I still love being a Wonderbolt!”

“You didn’t want to be a Wonderbolt? Are you kidding me?” Spitfire couldn’t believe what she heard.

The stallion replied, “Nope. I gave it a shot since you really wanted to get in. I figured I’d go for moral support for you and maybe give it a shot. Never thought I’d get in.”

Spitfire raised a hoof up to cover her eyes. An annoyed sigh escaped from her lips, “I don’t believe you sometimes….just….the things you do….”

Soarin laughed again as he placed a hoof on top of his comrade’s head, roughing it up, “Oh come on, you know you still love me underneath that rocky exterior!”

The mare’s cheeks turned red at his comment. Quickly shaking herself out of the trance, she shoved Soarin away from her and remarked bitterly, “Oh, come off it.”

“Haha, I knew you were still in there! Well, I need to go get the rest of my belongs packed up and sent out. I’m really glad I got to see you one last time before I headed out for the summer, Spitfire,” Soarin warmly smiled.

“Y-Yeah….”

With a hoof in the air, Soarin gave a causal salute to his superior before turning to trot away, “Take it easy, Captain Spitfire.”

Watching him turn and start to trot away, the mare called out, “Wait, Soarin! Hold up!”

The stallion paused and turned around, a confused expression on his face.

“Look….there’s….something I need to say to you….”

“Is this about what I did at the bar two nights ago? I thought I made it clear that I can’t be responsible after I had a few glasses vodka. I am sorry about that,” Soarin apologized.

“No, it’s not about that….wait, what exactly hap- nevermind, I rather not know right now,” Spitfire spoke, “This is about me….I-I need to get something off my chest….”

Soarin was still puzzled, “Um, alright.”

Spitfire carefully placed her words as she looked downward at the ground, “I….I need you, Soarin….”

“What?”

The orange pegasus rose her voice for a moment before continuing in a soft tone, “You heard me! I-I need you….and I think it took your leaving for me to realize it.”

“What do you mean?” the stallion asked.

“Don’t you get it, pie for brains? I love you, alright?” Spitfire finally looked up to see the blue pegasus looking back at her, “Do I have to scream it out at you for you to figure it out? I love you. I have since high school….and I’ve kept in since. And….I realized since that you’re really the only one that gets me….so….yeah Soarin, I really do love you….”

Soarin looked at Spitfire and her blushing red cheeks, “I never knew you felt like that….”

“Yeah, well….now you do….” Spitfire coughed a few times.

“Why didn’t you say anything back then?”

“Because I didn’t want to screw up our friendship. You were my best friend since middle school and through high school, I didn’t want to mess that up with weird emotions like that,” Spitfire admitted, “and then me becoming captain of the Wonderbolts, that would just make thinks even more weird….”

“Oh, okay….” was all the stallion said in response.

“So, yeah….what now?” Spitfire looked onto Soarin, hoping for a reply.

The stallion was silent for a few seconds. Finally breaking the stillness, Soarin spoke, “Well….I guess I should get back to moving….”

“Oh….alright then,” Spitfire’s words were detached and sorrowful.

“But, keep an eye out in your mailbox, Spitfire,” Soarin added.

The mare’s ears perked up, “Huh?”

“Just keep an eye out at your mail, captain,” with a warm smile on his face, Soarin gave a form salute to his superior, “I’ll see you after the summer, ma’am.”

Before Spitfire could ask him any question, the stallion glided off from the field.

-----------------------

About a week into the summer, Spitfire was returning late home from Wonderbolt practice. Sitting down on the couch, the mare was going through her mail. A particular letter caught her attention, a light blue envelope postmarked from Las Pegasus.

“What is this?” Spitfire raised the letter up to the light, trying to see what’s within.

Opening the envelope, she found a single piece of parchment. She read the words scribbled on it:

Dear Spitfire,

Hope things are going well with the Wonderbolts. The west coast is pretty cool and my temporary job is awesome. And so you know, I’ll be back in a just a few weeks. And I hope your cough will be gone by then.

Speaking of which, can’t wait to see you again. Wouldn’t mind seeing the mare that I love when I get back. Hope that helps you figure out how I feel about you, captain.

Love,
Soarin

END

Comments ( 5 )

And all was well in fluffy marshmallow land. The End :rainbowkiss:
No seriously though, good story :twilightsmile:

3059635 Thanks, glad you enjoyed!

Stands out among several other soarinfire stories.four outta five IMO,very nice stuff.Maybe some more soarinfire stories in the future?:derpytongue2:

6777828 Always a possibility. But right now, editing my novel takes priority. I already missed doing my annual Hearth's Warming Eve fic.

Awwee babess :rainbowwild:

Amazing story :pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment