• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 5,526 Views, 202 Comments

Not as it Seems - DamnToasty



At the reading of his mother's last will and testament, Joseph Taylor is left an ominous package, and given a single instruction, protect it at all costs. But just what was this strange item, and why must it be guarded?

  • ...
23
 202
 5,526

A Message to My Readers...

Well...it's been awhile, and wow, that's an understatement. I am aware that I have most likely already pissed off a few people who thought this was a new chapter by now, and to them, all I can say is sorry. But not only them, I would like to say sorry to all of you. Now, I am going to spare you a laundry list of excuses pertaining to life and other responsibilities being the cause for my absence, mainly, because those should go without saying. What I am here to tell you is the true cause for my...lengthy...hiatus.

When I first joined this site, I was inexperienced in the art of creative writing, and had little to no understanding of how to put it into practice. All I had were ideas, ideas that I wanted to share with a group of people with interests parallel to my own. So, I typed out a few thousand words, took a deep breath, and clicked publish, and I was happy. Happy, because I was getting to share my work, and put whatever amount of skill I had at the time to good use. And it was enough for me.

That was over two years ago.

Huh, it's funny how what in the grand scheme might seem like a short amount of time can feel like so much more within my own mind. In that time, I continued to write, progressively improving as you all critiqued my work. As my quality increased, more and more came to read what I had wrote, and I loved that. I was excited every time time I saw that I got a thumb up, or when someone favourited one of my stories, or when I got a comment of praise. I was excited that people liked what I was making, and that they it as something more than a random teenager's errant thoughts. But as my popularity grew, so did my desire for more of it. This desire getting so bad to the point where I was no longer writing for the fun of it, but rather, to get that like, comment, favorite, or maybe even a place on the featured bar. I began to get frustrated whenever I wrote, because my self-conscious was constantly nagging in the back of my head with that question, "Will they like this?!". I am afraid to say that it got so bad to the point...where I could no longer write, because I told myself it wasn't worth it...

That is why I have been gone so long, why I haven't written. Think of my situation as you will, be it that it is a cliched reason and poor attempt to quit, or a truthful struggle between happiness and paranoia. You have a right to your own opinion. I know mine's already made up.

As to the state of this story, and my other stories, concerning my followers. I cannot provide a set date when they will be continued, or even if they will be continued. But, as of now, all my open stories will be placed on hiatus, so that maybe one day, if I can ever learn to love my art the way I did at it's inception, I will come back, and finish what I started. For now, however, all I can do is ask for your patience, and hope that mine is not fully spent. I will remain active on the site, and on my group, as I still enjoy reading the work that you all create, and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

I thank you all for your time over these past two years, and I pray that my writing brought at least some of you the slightest bit of happiness, and that if I ever choose to come back, that it will continue to do so. Thank you, and to all of you I wish a Merry Christmas, and a most prosperous New Year.

-This is RobertBel98, we're done here...

Comments ( 25 )

Hmm, Good Luck. I used to feel this way, but for now I am happy so long as I have some readers and good friends. I'm not angry at all, in fact I'm glad to see you don't appear to be quitting this site. (like many writers do)

It seems like you need a long break and to evaluate what you want with your writing, and maybe with life. If you ever want to talk, you can PM me for my Skype. It never hurts to chat. Again, good luck and Happy Holidays~

Cheers man. Hope you find what your looking for.

May Life treat you well.

The author/artist for one of my favorite webcomics had a very similar problem a while back. Goblins is the name of the comic in question. His problem, while significantly more extreme, caused him to almost quit the internet period. Do what you need to. Most of us will be here when you get back. :)

what they all said. we will be patient, you must do as you must.

with an addendum:

THE STORY TAGGED BLOG POST FEATURE WORKS. PLEASE USE IT. THIS WAY ALL CHAPTERS ARE ACTUAL CHAPTERS, AND EVERYONE WHO WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED OF THE NEW CHAPTER WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE TAGGED POST.

Thank you.

Tulip #6 · Dec 24th, 2014 · · 6 ·

K, you failed here, we understood.

Angry? My good Sir, you provide us with free entertainment. You have no responsibilities towards us then the ones you set yourself.

I hope your inspiration returns one day and until then, I hope all goes thee well.

At the reading of his mother's last will and testament, Joseph Taylor, is left a strange package.

Take away the comma after Taylor.

JBL

I hope you return :twilightsmile:

Also, you might find this read interesting

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/413468/the-return

I also hope you come back, not because I love your writing (which I do), but because I think you are genuinely a great writer. If you need a break, then by all means, we have no right to tell you otherwise. I hope you do come back, but I understand if you decide not to. I wish you luck in your journey, and I too, hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
See you 'round.
-C.Storm

Feel free to talk to me on skype whenever. It has been fun working with you the few times that I have.

Learn to hate and despise your readers! LOATH them with all your being! Give into your hatred and your... eh, you get the idea.

(The you shall become a troll and join my legions! BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!)

:trollestia:

As said by yrfoxtaur, you should have done this as a blog post linked to the story, instead of a chapter (in fact I think it's against the rules now to post chapters like this). In case you didn't know, if a story is linked to the blog post, everyone who has the story on favorites will receive a notice of the blog. :pinkiehappy:

That being said, you don't need to feel bad. At least you told us, many don't. I know some of us will still be here if you come back to writing. And seriously, you should only come back because you enjoy it. This is not an obligation or a popularity contest. Writing is an art, a form of expression, if you don't Feel it, than you aren't doing it right, imo. :raritywink:

Honestly, I believe that you should find a new idea... one that captures your wonder and sparks up that creative desire again so that you truly create a beloved story that is as fun to write as it is to read.

5432171 Thank you, that is actually a method I have used before, but I think I need to learn to follow through with my projects. People usually tell me I am great at introductions, but that I suck at development :twilightsheepish:.

5432290 Well, a method I learned was to work on whatever you lack, if you're bad at writing fighting scenes... make a short story or longer that focuses on fighting and learn how to describe your actions, if its dialogue you're hung up on, make a short story about characters debating on something. It doesn't matter how many people like those ones since they're just practice.

If your done close the story and make add the canceled tag.

5472666 I said in the message, I don't know if I'm done with it. I am simply taking a break to try and find my inspiration again. Hopefully, I will be able to have fun with this again some day and pick up where I left off. :twilightsmile:

5474022
then hiatus tag that stuff. Exactly what you just said.

I can respect that decision. Sometimes you just need some time away to begin to enjoy something once more.

Oh.
Good luck.

5611731 Thank you, I actually plan on starting work on the next chapter next week. I figured it was time I got back into writing.

5619045
In that case, thank you.
And do write for fun, not for this.

A long day... A long updateee~

I hope you're doing well!

I just found this story sitting in my to-read list, and the first few chapters are interesting! If you ever plan to continue it, I look forward to seeing it. Regardless, I wish you all the best!

Login or register to comment