• Published 29th May 2013
  • 13,869 Views, 86 Comments

Spike's Journal - Fueled By Desperation



Spike tells of his feelings towards the Mane Six's treatment of him.

  • ...
12
 86
 13,869

The Stunt

Thunder crashed and roared all outside the safe wooded walls of my beloved library, the Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville. Lightning flashed in the windows, quickly illuminating the entire place in an eerie white glow for a split second before it reverted to it's previous dimness.

As I was walking around library, I noticed something strange. There seemed to be a distinct lack of Spike's presence around. Wondering where he got off to, I walked my way up the stairs to our room, hoping to find him in his basket, staring up at the ceiling, thinking of Rarity or a similar, silly topic. In my, professional opinion, he was much too young to be really having true feelings for anyone, probably just a childhood crush. He'll get over it. He is a BABY dragon after all, right? I really just wanted to check up on him and make sure he wasn't doing anything stupid.

I reached the top of the stairs and knocked on the door. No answer. Interesting, usually, he is happy, or at least mildly excited to see me. He would have answered. I try the handle, grasping it with my magic and turning it slowly. “Spike?” I ask. “Are you in here?” Empty. Dark. No one is in the room. Intrigued, I enter the room. Just then, a huge flash of lightning accompanied by a massive crash of thunder illuminated the room vividly. In that split second, I was able to see the corner of a book sticking out from under the covers of his basket. Curious, I grabbed the book and started walking down the stairs.

Once I arrived at the bottom of the stairs, I strode over to the table I was studying at before and set the book down. Upon closer inspection of the cover, I discovered that scrawled upon it in Spike's childish claw-writing were the words “Spike's Journal”. “Heh heh”, I thought. “Little Spikey-Wikey has got himself a journal. He's so cute.” I flipped it open to the last entry inside and began reading.

“Dear Journal, blah blah, 'best friends'? What does he mean by that? Anyway. Blah blah, 'I put on a tough face, but some of them really bite deep.' hmmmhmmm whatever. A cake? He never talked about a ca-. Oh. Oh my. Wow. I completely forgot about him that day. I never even gave him a second thought. He put that much work in?? How could I never have noticed? Moving on, dum de dum. Oh, yeah. That prank we played on him during Winter wrap up. I didn't know it hurt him that bad inside. I thought he had just brushed it off. I feel terrible now. Oh my, a stunt?? What is he talking about?? What is he planning?? What is this?? Oh no no no, this can't be! He can't be gone can he??”

I started sprinting around the library. Dashing down the stairs at speeds that would make even Rainbow's jaw drop I burst through the door to the laboratory basement calling out Spike's name. Turning a quick about face I ran back up the stairs as fast as I could and began scouring every inch of the library for a sign of Spike, the storm outside just adding to the eerie effect of all that had happened this night. After finishing my mad dash and ending up right where I started in the middle of the library, I stopped, panting, and tried to gather my thoughts.

“Ok, if I was a depressed baby dragon who thought all of his friends and even his big sister had deserted him, where would I go? Of course! The Everfree Forest! But wait! I can't do this on my own! I need my friends!”

In a flash of purple light and a strange, but familiar sensation, the tan wood inside of the library changed to the clean and fashionable inside of the Carousel Boutique, owned by one of my best friends, Rarity. Casting about, I caught sight of her, bent over her sewing table, staring at me with an expression of surprise.

“Rarity! I need your help! Spike has done something crazy and I need your help to find him! Quick! Round up as many of the girls as you can and meet me back at the library in 15 minutes! Go!”

“But-ah-uh- What?? I'm very confused Twilight. What do you mean Spike is gone? Where could he have gotten himself off to?”

“No time Rarity, I'm sorry but I'll explain it all back at the library. Go!!”

With a bright flash of teal, Rarity was gone. And another flash of lavender and the cozy inside of the Apple family farm house appeared.

“Applejack! Quick! I need your help! Spike has disappeared and we need to find him! Go back to the library while I try to find Fluttershy!”

“What? Hold yer horses, Twi! Whaddya mean Spike is gone? Where'd he go?”

“I don't know! That's why I need you to get to the library as soon as possible so we can meet and try to figure out where he has gotten to! Now go! Please!”

Another bright flash and the critter-filled house of Fluttershy formed in front of her.

“EEP!!!!”

“It's alright Fluttershy. It's just me, Twilight.”

“Oh, it's you Twilight. For a second there, I thought you were another monster that was coming to hurt me and my furry friends.”

“Monster? There was a monster here? What sort of monster?”

“ It was a big scary one, outside. When the lightning flashed, I saw it's silhouette against the window, it had big sp-pikes on its head and big, sc-cary fangs!”

It was at this particular moment that a very large crash of thunder and lightning came.

“EEP!!!” and Fluttershy was suddenly behind the couch.

“It's OK Fluttershy, it was probably just a shadow of a tree or something. Now, I need your help! Spike has gone missing and I don't know where he has gone! I need you to get Rainbow Dash out of her house for us and meet us back at the library as soon as possible so we can try to figure out where he has gone!”

“Oo-ok Twilight, it's just, it's just so scary outside...”

“Come on Fluttershy! Now isn't the time to be scared, our friend is in trouble and he needs your help!”

“Oh, ok. Let's go Twilight.”

With another flash, they were in a field outside of Ponyville, directly beneath the residence of one Rainbow Dash.

“Go on Fluttershy! You have to fly up there and get her otherwise we may be too late! You have to go wake her up!”

“ Ok, here goes.”

Off she went, flying up towards her house. A few minutes later, they both came soaring down, as fast as they could both go. In another flash, we were all back inside the library. Soaking wet, we all stood in a circle staring at each other for a second and then all of them started clamoring for information.

“GIRLS! I don't know anymore than you do about this whole situation except for what I have read from his journal.”

I began to read to them from the book. When we got the the cake part, they all started to look down, around, and up. Anything to not look at each other. When I had finished, they all just stood there and looked at me for a little while. Then one voice came out, Applejack's.

“Gee, Twi. I didn't know that we had made him feel that bad. He always seemed so happy. Never that down. Wow, I feel really bad now.” A chorus of “me too” 's and quiet sobs from Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy accompanied that statement. Another moment of silence broken only by sniffling.

“Ok, down to business. Now that you all know what is going on, at least as much as I do anyways, where do you think he could have gone?” I said.

Rainbow piped up, “Well, if I was a depressed baby dragon who thought all of his friends deserted him and no longer cared about him, I know I would go to the Everfree forest.”

“That's right! And Fluttershy's house is right by there! And she said something about seeing a monster's silhouette with big spikes on its head with fangs! That sounds like Spike!” I said.

Through her tears, Fluttershy acknowledged that statement.

“Alright girls, let's go! With this rain, we should be able to track his clawprints very easily in the mud, we should be able to catch up with him before anything bad happens to him! Onwards!” I shouted.

We all dashed out the door and headed in the direction of the forest. Upon our arrival at Fluttershy's house, we all split up and began searching for prints. A few seconds later, Applejack called out.

“I think I found 'em!”

We all ran over to where she was standing, staring at the ground. I affirmed that they were most definitely his. We took off after him, Rainbow in the lead. As we entered the forest, it suddenly became much darker. We mostly had to navigate by the bright flashes of lightning that had become more and more frequent. We dodged through the trees, following the tracks as best we could. We had to slow down considerably given the darkness hugging the ground under the trees. Suddenly, we burst out of the trees and into a clearing. All around were the trees except for on one side, which was a straight cliff face, the clawprints led straight up to the edge of it. As our eyes traced up to the top, a brilliant streak of lightning tore across the sky, illuminating the terrible scene we were about to witness. Alone, on the edge of the cliff, stood our favorite baby dragon. We could see every edge and line on his face from where we stood, even the tears streaming down his face. He was gazing off into the horizon, his lips moving almost imperceptibly. If it was up to me to judge, I would say, he was saying “I love you, Rarity.” We were unable to hear those words though because as he said them, a terrible clap of thunder crashed upon our ears, and his words were lost to us forever. With that cue sounding as a call from Tartar's itself, Spike stepped forward, and off the cliff. We all watched in horror as his small body plunged down the sheer cliff towards the unforgiving ground. With a gut-wrenching crunch his tiny frame collided with the hard dirt.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” We all cried as he laid there, not moving. We all sprinted towards his limp shape on the ground as fast as we could, Rarity leading the charge. As we came upon his body, Rarity was already bending over him, crying out.

“NO MY SPIKEY-WIKEY YOU CAN'T BE DEAD! YOU JUST CAN'T BE!” We all huddled around her and his small frame upon the earth.

“Move Rarity!! Get out of the way!!” Dash yelled. She scooped him up in her forelegs and took off into the air, yelling out, “I'll get him to the hospital as fast as I can! Get there, tell them to get ready for him!”

Enveloping everyone in the light purple glow of my horn, I teleported us all back to Fluttershy's house, then again all the way to the Ponyville Hospital. Screaming out, I ran into the hospital while all of my friends were still outside wobbling about from the two sudden teleportations.

“We need a doctor down here right now!!! We have a severely injured baby dragon on the way!! Get all the help you can right this instant!!

A doctor dressed in scrubs dashes into the room. “Where? Where is he?”

“He's not here yet but he will be soon, my other friend is bringing him.” I told him.

“GET TWO NURSES AND A STRETCHER IN HERE IMMEDIATELY!!! WE HAVE A BIG PATIENT ON THE WAY!!”

At that exact moment, Rainbow burst through the door, carrying a bloody and bruised Spike in her forelegs.

“OPEN THE EMERGENCY ROOM, WE NEED TO GO INTO IMMEDIATE SURGERY ON THIS PATIENT! HE HAS SEVERE PHYSICAL TRAUMA AND NEEDS MEDICATION!” The doctor roared at the nurses who just galloped into the room with the trolley. Rainbow quickly set Spike on the stretcher and the nurses sped him through a set of double doors into the emergency room. An orderly had to physically restrain Rarity from dashing into the emergency room, explaining that Spike was in good hooves now and that there was nothing she could do anymore except to wait and hope. We had to go back out to the waiting room and sit down.

Approximately 8 hours later, the doctor came slowly walking out of the doors into the waiting room. We all jumped up and looked at him as Fluttershy asked it he was doing alright.

“He is in a stable condition as far as we can say. Right now, he is in a coma due to the severe head trauma he sustained in that fall.”

“How did you know it was a fall that did that? No one told you.” I said.

“Trust me, I've been in the business for a long time, to sustain injuries like that, one has to either get run over by a herd of stampeding buffalo or take a long fall. Since there are no buffalo around here, I assumed it was the latter. As I was saying, he is in a coma. I do not know when or if even at all he will wake up from it. He may have memory loss from it from the rather copious amount of internal cranial bleeding he sustained. He was a tough little guy though, to have survived all the way here from where he took the fall. I know there aren't many big cliffs around here big enough to cause injuries like that so he must have come a long way. I'm sure he'll pull through, though. Don't you worry, ladies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have more patients to attend to.”

With that, the doctor turned and strode back through the door to care for the other patients. We all turned and looked at each other for a long while until Pinkie Pie spoke up through her sobs.

“You heard him, right? That he might not even wake up? That he may not remember? I can't even stand the thought of it! If he wakes up, I'm going to be nicer to him than ever before.”

“I agree, sugarcube. It seems we were all a little tough on the little guy. I'm with Pinkie, I'm gonna be much nicer to him if... no. WHEN, he wakes up. Looking back now, I see that I have been a little too hard on him. What about you, girls?”

“I'm in.” said Rarity.

“Me too.” piped up Fluttershy.

“You bet!” spoke up Rainbow

“I will also, I should have been nicer to him more than all of you. I'm his big sister for gosh sakes. I can't believe I didn't see it.”

Then they all went back to their homes and waited for the news they all hoped would come. That Spike was ok, and still alive.

Author's Note:

Well, I'm still around and alive. I am sorry for the long time to write this. Hope you will forgive me.

Comments ( 33 )
Rubakor #1 · Nov 29th, 2013 · · 1 ·

Only reason they even went looking for Spike is because he wouldn't be around to be their free slave labor anymore. They never actually cared about him.

val

so is this really complete or will there be a sequel?

Gotta admit it felt a bit cliche, but it being your first fic it was pretty good.

3556370 yep but you have to admit, Spike trying to kill him self is one side of his "friends" not leting him joining them

No need to apologize for the lateness my friend. :twilightblush: WoW! intense chapter, but to be honest, I don't feel any of them, especially Twilight is sincere in wanting to be nice to Spike.:fluttershysad: I think they are all just saying that, because he is in a coma, and all the bad possibilities could happen. :fluttercry: I hope he does remember when he wakes up, but I hope the girls really mean that they're be nicer to him and allow him to join them more.

Continue.:moustache:

I truly hope you were not all disappointed, it is very difficult to truly critique ones own handiwork. Many thanks to all!

WHEN IS THE NEXT CHAPTER GONNA BE POSTED!!!!!???????

MOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR!!!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

MORE! MORE!

I was on the internet looking for facts on how horrible the ponies treat spike for my story


Found this and crying


Please an epilogue?

3555496

Due to the grand dose of inspiration that hit me full on in the face today

Ouch, that sounds painful...

So wait it's saying complete so I am guessing you are not gonna finish this?

In all honesty, I really have no idea if I am going to finish this. There is a possibility, but depending on my writing inspiration and if anything comes up at home as well as my brothers graduation, all I can say is a definite maybe. Apologies.

Will............will he make it:unsuresweetie:

You have great ideas and a good imagination. What you need to work on is the spacing and the wording. Some scenes seemed rushed and I couldn't savor the moment. other times I felt like the wording was awkward. Keep going. I know you will improve rapidly if you just keep writing.

I'm thinking this story is dead.

5263987 i agree,it's a shame throught it looked good.

I really hope this story isn't dead...

6054288 .....your username is hilarious...

Why.Is.This.Story...INCOMPLETE!!!!

I SWEAR TO GOD IF THIS STORY IS DEAD!!!! :flutterrage:

Getting hurt, being left out, Writters make bad episodes of Spike which it causes the audience to hate him, and also getting abuse seriously when or how long the Writters going to keep this up

do you have a sequel or is this just the end

Needs a epilogue or something. The ending felt quite a cliff hanger.

Yeah I agree this story needs something to continue with because it just looks like a big cleft hanger that is not even really need.Other then that though good work loved all the way through.

8915722
Did you intend for that to be a pun because of how spike went.

Can you make another chapter

I was expecting an uplifting ending, since I've recently finished reading another Spike Suicide story.
Instead, I was given an 'up-to-the-readers' cliffhanger. That doesn't make me feel so good, but it's a little hopeful.
It's a shame this story and this profile are most likely dead. We would've loved a sequel where he wakes up, and they all reconcile. :fluttershyouch:

Wished this fic got to continue honestly.

Wonder how the Royal Sisters would react to this there?

10606719
You're not the only one. When I first watched that scene with some friends, I went into a rage, shouting out complaints towards pretty much nothing.

Login or register to comment