• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 1,295 Views, 25 Comments

All that Glitters - Starsong



A pegasus named Dusty and his friends search Equestria for forgotten relics.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,295

Epilogue

Their arrival in Canterlot was only met with a couple of guards, who gathered all of the things onboard the ship before escorting them to the Princess' chambers. It was nearing dusk and Celestia, in spite of all her regal attire, seemed quite tired. She smiled when Dusty and his friends entered the throne room.

“I read the report that your friend sent ahead, but I could hardly believe it. The danger you faced is more than I'd be willing to put anypony through. I apologize.”

Dusty shook his head. “I have a feeling it was inevitable,” he said. “I'm sorry that what you were looking for ended up destroyed... I failed you again.”

“Did you?” Princess Celestia tilted her head, and gestured towards one of the guards, who nodded and wandered off. “I did not intend for you to bring the artifacts here. I think you would have understood what I was looking for. At any rate...” she nodded to Galebright. “I must thank you and your brave ponies for your service, but please. It is important that you receive relief from time to time. Equestria is here to support you, not abandon you on the frontier.”

Galebright flustered and looked down. “I'm sorry, your highness. I was afraid that you would think we had abandoned you...”

“I do not, child.” Princess Celestia smiled. “Though your methods aren't the ones I would have chosen, you seem to have been doing good enough of a job. And now that I am able to receive word from that distance, things seem to be improving. Some of the unicorns believe that the ancient spell was serving as sort of an anchor to the chaos of olden times, and in breaking it, the land will be allowed to heal. Magic will return to its normal state.”

“Thank you,” murmured Galebright. She could not help but blush.

“It seems you all have served me in ways greater than I had imagined.” The princess laughed, and then stood. “It is time for the day to end. Would you be so patient as to stay and watch my sister raise the moon?”

How could they refuse? They nodded with as much modest enthusiasm as they could muster, and Dusty could hardly contain himself. He had only met Luna the other day—or was it hundreds of years ago—and would be seeing her again. Would she remember?

As Celestia took her place in the courtyard, preparing to lower the sun, Princess Luna descended into the throne room. She paused at the sight of Dusty and tilted her head.

“Beg pardon, sir, but you look awfully familiar.”

Dusty flared his wings out and tapped a hoof against his head. “Um, yes! Maybe. Would it make more sense if I had one of those fuzzy helmets.”

Luna squinted at him. “We... apologize, but find your question confusing,” she said. “Apologies. We must see to our royal duty.”

The pegasus slumped, leaving his friends to comfort him as the sisters joined in the courtyard. Celestia went up first, and seemed to both with her magic and her very body, move as one with the sun, and bowed as it tilted into the horizon. Then Luna came up, and for a moment they seemed locked in dance as a bright full moon began to reach over the cups of the horizon and take its place in the sky. Night settled over Equestria, quiet, peaceful, and warm.

The two sisters returned to the throne room, chatting quietly.

“You should retire, sister,” said Luna. “I think I can handle this bunch for a while yet.”

“In a moment, Luna,” said Celestia, and she waved a hoof.

The guard who had departed previously, and one of Luna's royal guards, came in bearing the ancient wooden drawers. It had apparently been repaired and polished since its unkind landing on board the airship. They set it down in front of Luna and Celestia brushed over the top of it.

“It seems like just yesterday that everypony was doting over you,” she said, making the blue princess shy away a bit. Celestia then looked at Dusty. “Nor will it be the last time. But, I hope you recognize this.”

Princess Luna carefully leaned down and opened one of the drawers. She stared a single beat, and then swept up the bat pony doll with her magic before squeezing it tight against herself. Her guard looked away politely, tinged with blush.

“You made this for me so long ago, I had nearly forgotten,” she said. “I can't believe it's still intact. Sister, how did...”

Celestia nodded towards Dusty. “I had someone special pick it up for you,” she said. “It had to be just right. Someone whose special talent was recognizing what real treasure was and preserving it.”

Dusty opened his mouth to respond and then only managed to squeak, much to the amusement of his friends. Princess Luna laughed and leaned over to ruffle his head with a wing. This only made the ponies laugh more audibly.

“A little devil and a little angel... I did not think that you were more than some strange dream! You have my gratitude.”

Princess Celestia stifled a yawn. “I hope you understand that we cannot make your success a national holiday, but I can say with certainty that you now have the full support of my sister and I.”

The pegasus' eyes lit up as he reared up into the curl of Luna's wing. He buckled down again sheepishly. “Does this mean...”

“Yes, you can keep the guild house and the airship,” she laughed, rolling her eyes. “You may need it, what with all the friends you've been collecting.”

Dusty could not contain his joyous squeal as he leapt into the air. Princess Luna stepped away in surprise, but laughed quietly as he danced about his friends. It was the grandest adventure he'd ever had. And sure, his saddlebags were not brimming with bits, but he felt richer than he could imagine.

“Alright,” Bruce laughed, tugging the colt's ear with his teeth to bring him back to earth. “I think we should give the princesses some space. Plus the others probably want to see your new base of operations.” He bowed to Celestia, then Luna. “By your leave.”

“Of course,” said Celestia. “But feel free to come by anytime. You will always have a special place here.”

“With us as well.” Luna bowed likewise.

They filed out, looking back only once. The two sisters were eager to explore their memories together in private. And the guildhouse, Dusty hoped, was still warm, even if it was just feeding off of the heat of the neighboring cafe.

“I thought you had to get back to your post?” he asked Galebright, who just shrugged.

“The Princess is going to be sending a full contingent to help keep the place in order... and she suggested I get a little downtime after ten years on the job. I hate to leave my ponies alone, but I trust them. And hanging around with you seems easy enough.”

Garnet stuck her tongue out at Dusty. “And while I may have had far more luck than you digging up gold and gems, you seem to have far more fun. So you're stuck with me for a while yet.”

“Fine with me.” Dusty was just happy to be back in Canterlot, among other ponies, feeling the warm stone of the roads beneath his feet. The sound of the city alive even at night, flooded with joy and drama and love. So many ponies that did not and would not know them as they retreated together to the far corners of the city where they would shelter for the time to come.

Once the others had pulled ahead, Dusty scooted over to Ivory. “You know, I don't think I would have made it through that if it wasn't for you. I'm really sorry I acted like such an ass.”

“I'm used to it,” said Ivory, and when she'd let him look ashamed enough, gave him a little nuzzle. “And I forgive you.”

“Even if my intentions weren't exactly pure?”

Ivory rolled her eyes. “Even if you could trust what that old monster was telling you, it doesn't matter. Maybe at the time I just desperately wanted to be accepted by somepony. Anypony. We're friends now, and that's what matters, don't you think?”

Dusty smiled. “Yeah,” he said. “Always.” And all of his doubt and guilt seemed so strange, then. They walked off into the night together to catch up with the rest of their friends, made in times of calm or adversity. They walked together as they always had, and always would, and if none of them had anything left in the world, they would have each other.

And as long as they had each other, Dusty knew, all of Equestria and beyond would be there waiting for them.

Comments ( 13 )

I don't really feel like this story has earned a full-on afterword, but again thanks for whoever has read/is reading this. There are some parts I wish I'd just ripped out. Chapter five is more or less skipable. The plot is actually pretty close to what I'd intended otherwise, and while there are some characters I feel like didn't get proper closure, the most important ones did.

I might edit this but I am reluctant to let the timestamp on the first chapter change. It's the only shred of proof I have that says I started this before we heard uttered the name of Daring Do. :scootangel:

Alright. I need to actually focus on final projects for school so I might drop off the writing map for a while. But even though I have a big summer, well... something big is planned. :rainbowwild: And there won't even be any OCs. :moustache:

Well, I enjoyed it.
Do you plan to make another story with these characters?

528442

Possibly. I'm mostly going to be working with the show stuff for a while, though.

539225

Fixeded. Sorry about that. Not really worried about fame plus I'd feel guilty promoting an almost entirely OC story.

540957

There is at least a few groups group just for that (OC's)

http://www.fimfiction.net/index.php?view=group&group=42

http://www.fimfiction.net/index.php?view=group&group=378&folder=777&view_all

http://www.fimfiction.net/index.php?view=group&group=414

http://www.fimfiction.net/index.php?view=group&group=8 (dont know if this one accepts OC's with no mention of the mane 6)

you have to be part of a group to add it to there,or ask the admin/someone from the group if they can add it.

*Looks at title of story and continues the verse*

"...And she's buying the Stairway to Heaven."

2471919
Haha. This is like, my oldest story on the site and I'll frequently refer to it as my most wretched. A real tour de f***-up. I do appreciate the feedback.

I'd have deleted it, just seems weird to.

2472374 Please don't. I'm still reading it. :derpytongue2:

2481344
Hee, don't worry, I won't. I don't delete anything, regardless of how I feel about it.

3291812

I dunno. I have other ideas. But more importantly I'm trying to graduate this semester so my free time has mostly been sucked away. Still, thank you for the comment and stopping by. :)

I dunno if you're still about but this is a beautiful piece. you should be proud.

This is a good piece. Are there any sequels? Il There's definitely room for more stories of Forestry and the gang.

Very original, but not very good.

Ah well, they all can't be awesome.

Login or register to comment