• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 1,296 Views, 25 Comments

All that Glitters - Starsong



A pegasus named Dusty and his friends search Equestria for forgotten relics.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,296

Chapter 7

In the hours of twilight there was yet to be an attack. No raid, no devious trap, and Dusty glided through the winter's chill without a sound. This, he thought, would be the way the ancient pegasi would have done things. With fancier hats, to be sure, but nonetheless. It was why they needed the other races to mitigate their behavior. Because without it, they'd all have died long ago proving their valor against impossible odds.

Still, Dusty kept comfort in knowing that in no way would his friends come to harm now. Whatever was going to happen, they would be well out of the blast zone of. He was cutting his way over drifts and sprawling mountains, towards the epicenter of the valley where the cloud city lay in ruins.

He had not seen a single creature, although on occasion he thought he saw something moving in one crevice or another. The lack of interference emboldened him. It didn't leave his mind that this was exactly how some other ponies died. But he trusted his wings.

The snow parted like a curtain onto the scene of the clouds, leaving only diamond sparkles in the air to bounce light to the far corners of the ruins. A field of former-houses and satellite platforms drifted a bit in the wind, some cloudfluff shredding off in the breeze. Bits of pillars and lonely remnants, anything else having been buried in the snow dunes below.

At the center, though, one great building remained. The pegasus architects designed it to be so, a veritable palace of columns and clouds so thick as to be fortress-like. Some of the structures had held up so well that, to his surprise, he recognized some of the techniques replicated in the Canterlot Royal Palace, which, in turn, was established with the greatest techniques of all three ponies.

His deep fascination in architecture would have to be pushed aside. He set his hooves down on the clouds and they made a soft puff but otherwise did not announce his presence.

As he was looking around, a shadow passed over him. His wings frizzed and he bolted into the open archway, inside.

“Straighten up, soldier. We're expecting a princess.”

Dusty jerked his head up. Nopony was there. Not behind him, not in the white entryway, not further in the hall. He inched in further and the voices became clearer.

“Ugh. Not that snooty unicorn mare again.”

“Excuse me, Lieutenant?”

“Sorry. Not that snooty unicorn mare, sir?”

Dusty followed the voices, although he wasn't sure if they were echoing around corners or inside his head. He found a spiral of clouds leading upwards to a darker second floor. For a moment he'd wished he'd brought a light, but then remembered the shrikes' affinity for heat. Upstairs, in another hall, several railed platforms overlooked a hall of cloudseats below. The voices continued as he searched among them.

“No, not a unicorn. Our strange visitor from before. Nocturnal, a bit queer...”

“And she'll be visiting us, not the unicorns. Hah. That'll stick it in their hooves, huh? Er... sir.”

“I imagine it will. See to it that the guest chambers are in proper shape.”

Something brushed past Dusty. He glanced back and his mane frizzed as he caught what appeared to be the shadow of a mare. It persisted, shuffling past tables and he started to realize that she was carrying flagons of cider to various circles of pegasi. Pegasi in armor of darker shades, all guffawing and trying to speak over one another in the din of the hall.

An iron-coated hoof shook him by the mane. “You deaf, soldier?”

Dusty looked back to see himself face to face with Commander Hurricane. In the flesh, or something close to it, eyes hard and demanding an answer. He reached up to adjust his helmet, red brush swaying in the air and swallowed. “No, sir,” he stammered. “Princess' chambers. Tip top shape. Consider it done, Commander.”

The leader of the pegasi raised an eyebrow, then made a half-hearted sigh before he turned and proceeded to find more of his kind to set straight. Dusty made himself look busy and began wandering towards the back. This would be the perfect opportunity to find what Celestia had sent him for. It should have been his first thought. But it was more like his third. His second was pondering the strange magic that was making this possible. It felt like it. Or he had died and gone to pegasus Valhalla. Unlikely.

The first, of course, was an ecstatic squee. Had anypony ever been this deep in their ancient history? It was like a dream come true. Some adventurers dug up musty old relics and some walked among living legends, but never like this.

Whatever was causing the vision was giving him a roll to fulfill. He did not ghost along naturally with the pegasi he was occupying, if there even was such a thing. And it did not help that he did not know the layout of the palace at all. No books recorded had remembered it in such detail.

He turned to one of the pegasus colts that looked especially janitorial and tapped him on the shoulder. The boy gave a jump and then saluted. Dusty managed to only smile a little.

“I've got orders. Need you to polish the guest chamber for our big visitor. A little re-fabrication and the like.”

The colt glanced about nervously and then gave another nod. “Aye, sir,” he said, and began off towards a stairwell. Dusty sighed in relief and trotted after him. He couldn't help but worry that a shrike, wherever they were, would set down upon him in some fevered vision and do away with him before he noticed. But something bigger was going on, and he had to find out what.

Light was filtering in through some of the gaps, the 'windows' lined above the stable flooring and out over landing platforms. Far more light than should have been there, and the lands looked green and verdant—though if he squinted he could still see the frozen wastes filtering through. He didn't want to lose the vision. He thrust away reality and followed the serving colt all the way to a squat tower and the chamber contained within.

The light changed, although it may have just been the slant into the room. It seemed darker, more indigo almost. The coolness of a summer night was there and while the colt worked the seams out of the floor and moved enchanted furniture back into place, Princess Luna looked over from a drawing table and smiled right at him.

He had to try not to let his jaw hit the floor.

#

Ivory stirred from sleep to the sound of ponies throwing on armor and tromping around the great hall. She looked over to that space near her where Dusty was sleeping, and then to the other side. She scanned the room and frowned when she could not find him. Then her ear flicked up to the sound of Bruce who was interrogating a pair of old guards.

“What do you mean, you have no idea where he is?”

One shrugged helplessly. “I only got word a few minutes ago. One of the watchponies saw him taking off last night.”

“You shouldn't have let him go,” Bruce growled, stamping his forehooves against the floor. Both ponies backed up. Galebright, having finished inspecting one group, paused in front of him and shook her head.

“He's not one of our own and you're not prisoners here. What did you expect us to do?”

Bruce snorted. “Someone should have told me. He's one of ours. Do you have scouts out?”

“No,” said Galebright. “We can't risk tipping off the birds before we start the mission. Besides, if your friend has gotten anywhere near them...”

Ivory, fully awake now, practically bull rushed her way into the conversation, soon standing with her horn between the two white ponies. “What about Dusty? I don't care if he's not one of 'yours,' you can't just leave him for dead.”

Galebright raised an eyebrow. “Someone grew a spine,” she said. “Or at least a mouth. I didn't say that he was dead. I said we can't risk tracking him right now. Maybe he left a message.”

Ivory shook her head. “It doesn't make any sense. Dusty doesn't go anywhere without me.” She lifted a hoof and stared at it. “Not since we were small. For him to just take off like this... something must be wrong.”

“You worry too much.” Char had come now, his gryphon body seeming all the more massive in a mess of crimson woven armor. He stood between them and the fire, casting shade and coolness over every pony between him and the door. “I had your friend tend to a special assignment for us. One flier patrol to make sure there aren't any changes on the eastern plain. It won't take him anywhere near danger.”

Ivory stared at him. “He would have taken me with him,” she said.

“I'm afraid that's impossible, really. He's safe in the air. Anyone on the ground would be breakfast for the wolves.”

“Then you could have sent someone else.”

“I needed him.”

“You're lying.” Ivory narrowed her eyes. “I know him better than any of you. And I want to know where my friend is.”

Char exchanged glances with Galebright, who shook her head and stormed off. The gryphon rubbed his temples with a pinion. “Where exactly your friend is, I cannot say. I can say that if our mission succeeds, then he will be in no danger. And if it fails... I can't promise his safety.”

“We should go to him, danger or none,” said Ivory, stamping her hoof even harder than Bruce.

“If you do, you will die,” replied Char. “I was not lying about that.”

Bruce gave her snout a comforting bump of his which nearly bowled her over. “There must be a reason for this.”

“I cannot think of any...”

“Then we'll make sure he's safe. And ask him ourselves.” Bruce ruffled her mane a little. It did not cheer her up.

“Oh, I'll do more than ask.” Ivory's horn sparkled, and she ignored the scent of ozone. She twisted and shouted after Galebright. “We're going with you and your little platoon and making sure you get the job done right.”

The white mare didn't even blink. “Have it your way,” she said. “I'll never turn down more fodder between those hellbirds and my soldiers.”

And just a little, she smiled, leaving Bruce to sit, stumped.

Char settled his wings. He had been watching, considering what he had said to Dusty. “Well then, sounds like you just volunteered for the ground teams. Why don't you head out and get familiar? And remember, no one is going to hold it against you if you decide to stay behind.”

“Not on your life,” muttered Ivory.

He smiled in a way that only a gryphon can smile. “No, I didn't think you would. Good luck.”

#

The princess of the night allowed Dusty to stare his fill before eventually speaking. It surprised Dusty—it was not the traditional Canterlot voice, but then, Canterlot did not yet exist, and the volume may very well have blown out a wall if used wrongly. “What is your name?”

Dusty straightened his helmet plume and bowed his head. “Oh, uh, Dust Devil.”

Luna laughed briskly. “You are a terrible liar,” she said. Her starlit mane seemed to skew as it flowed towards eternity. “It is daylight here but still I sense the night. I can see it... as if you're far away.” She lifted a hoof, glass slipper holding snug as she touched it against his cheek. “Your eyes carry secrets.”

The pegasus flustered. “I would keep no secrets from you, Princess Luna.”

“Has our reputation preceded us?” She tipped her hoof beneath his chin and then released hit, leaving him listing forward towards her touch. “No. These are secrets kept by a magic old and strange. Why have you sought me, my little pony?”

Dusty squirmed in his hooves, pondering what to say. Her gaze was cutting through him. Patient but demanding. Meeting her perfect blue eyes was like looking deep into the night sky and deep into himself all at the same time. It made his head spin. The truth seemed so distant and at the same time the only thing he could offer.

“Your sister sent me,” he whispered, “and said that there was something here. A gift that she gave to you, something left behind. I am to return it to... er, I presume, you.”

Princess Luna looked across to a stack of cherrywood drawers in the corner. “I see,” she said. “My sister is always kind... even now she's looking out for me in her own way.”

Before she could open the drawer, two ponies were approaching. She shoved Dusty under the table and her pointed her horn at him.

“No time to explain,” she said, magic crackling around her. “Do not move. I will keep you safe.”

The sensation of being bathed in cool liquid silver fell over Dusty and a net of stars sparkled in his vision. He could barely see the room through them and got the sense that whatever it was had obscured him in some way. Just in time to see a pegasus—a captain, judging by his chest plate—and a red-maned brown unicorn.

“I understand that your time here is precious, princess, and I would not ask for much of it,” said the captain. The unicorn glared at him, and he quickly shuffled to fashion a door out of the clouds to give them some sense of privacy. Then the unicorn sparked a spell and their voices became soft, muffled.

“Ruby Horn and Captain Storm, yes?” she asked, and the two ponies nodded. “We appreciate your concern.” Luna's posture shifted and she leaned up, looking down upon them. “But do not understand this need for secrecy.”

“Our people work well together,” said the unicorn, “but are short-sighted. They wish to keep things as they are. Laboring to maintain balance in the world at the cost of their potential.”

“Having control of the sun and the moon,” explained the captain, “would give the pegasi unprecedented glory. The responsibility of maintaining this land has always belonged to us. So we have decided to construct a device that will allow me... allow the pegasi to relieve the unicorns of their burden. I have chosen my allies carefully, and Ruby is the only one I trust.”

Luna tilted her head away. “Pardon our asking, but what, praytell, do you gain from involving us?”

Ruby Horn's aura flared and he produced a scroll. It floated onto the table above Dusty, and he was left with a star-speckled view of three sitting ponies as they studied the design.

“It is sound in theory,” said the unicorn, “but I cannot find a way to perfect the link between pegasus and unicorn fields. Even our most complex theories have failed to solve this concept. It would take years of testing, made worse by the fact that we cannot speak of this openly. However, if you forgive me saying so, Princess, you seem to be the perfect candidate.”

Luna leaned back a bit and hesitated. “We... are not in the position to be tested upon.”

“I understand your trepidations,” said the Captain, “but you and your sister's efforts have not gone unnoticed. Achieving any level of harmony will take great time. And much less if we share this bond. Please, we are begging you...”

The princess muttered something. Ruby Horn laughed.

“You will not be harmed,” he said. “All I need to do is expose the device to your magic and I should be able to handle the attunement myself. With your consent.”

It took a long, long time for Luna to finally relent. “If it will help your people, we will cooperate,” she said. “Just this much.”

“Excellent.” The unicorn chuckled and produced what looked like a mess of gems melted together. Dusty recognized the centerpiece as moonstone. “Hold still, your highness...”

Ripples of magic drifted through the room like the rings a stone leaves behind when thrown into a pond. It smelled just a bit like burnt cheese and Luna flinched as the stone crackled over her. In just a few moments, it was over.

“Is it sufficient?” asked Luna, sounding a hint tired.

“Yes, yes... thank you, your highness. Now this is troublesome. I'll have to make some major adjustments, but I think that... one moment...”

As the unicorn paced and wandered, Captain Storm flared his wings up. “Don't mind him. Most unicorns are just like this. Always lost in their thoughts, with no consideration for present company.” He looked aside, to see if his jab had stuck; it did not. He huffed and lowered his wings. “You, on the other hand, are quite exemplary...”

From beneath the table Dusty could see Luna's legs stiffen. The unicorn paused his rambling long enough to tap the Captain on the helmet.

“That's enough out of you. I will need to perform more experiments, and they will not be nearly as enjoyable for you. Fortunately,” he said, voice shifting towards Luna, “pegasi rather pride themselves on their threshold for pain and other trials. All bravado, if you ask me...”

The two unwanted guests groused a little before both coming to attention to the princess again and putting on an air of intense politeness.

“You have our eternal gratitude. Without you, this task may have been utterly impossible. If there is any way we can repay you....”

Luna tapped her hooves against the floor. “Share your well-being with all ponykind and that will be enough for us. If you'll forgive our rudeness, that magic was more tiring than I'd anticipated. We would like some time to ourselves, before the banquet...”

“Yes, of course,” said the captain. The two ponies roughed one another a bit before edging out. A moment later, Luna lifted the veil.

“Maybe it was the spell that brought you here, or maybe something different,” she said, resuming their conversation almost immediately. “The effects will probably wear off shortly. It should be safe to come out. And I am sorry that I will not see you again for a very long time. Somehow, seeing you fills me with both joy and sorrow...” she laughed and shook her head. “We should not be so informal. It may make things awkward in the future.”

Dusty opened his mouth and then closed it again, huddled beneath the furniture, pinched somewhere in time with the princess of the night. And no words came. She leaned in and tapped his forehead with her horn and a spark of magic surged through him.

The light shifted to twilight once more. Luna dissolved from his vision and the ancient walls darkened. The sound of pegasus revelry felt like a distant echo. He crept out and stood up. The tower he had been in was missing its top, only a few tendrils of cloud leaving him in the old guest room. A pair of icy wings flashed outside the window and a cry like the shriek of wind filled the air.

#

Ivory was short of breath and forcing her aching legs to crash through a foot of snow. All the ire in the world and the only thing keeping her from dropping off was Bruce's constant nagging every time she started to fall behind. She looked behind at the flock of shrikes chasing them. At first she had thought that they looked too much like Princess Celestia's pet phoenix. Just way too big and way too cold. Now the resemblance didn't occur to her. Their eyes were like blue diamonds, their wings like ice shearing up from the frozen sea. They screamed like winter over a broken plain, and an entire flock was blotting the sky as they ran deeper and deeper into the snow filled ravine.

“How was this a good idea!?” she shouted breathlessly at Bruce, who mustered a laugh and looked over at her.

“It isn't,” he said. “But the things you do for your friends, or your country...”

It seemed like only minutes ago they were standing on a ridge overlooking the cloud city. Ivory had thought she'd spotted something familiar, some shade of red floating amongst the clouds. That's when Char had blown the horn. Two of the guards sparked up a strange stone with magic and Galebright flew ahead with it. All hell broke loose.

Now, they were managing to funnel the birds down a narrow ravine that seemed to have no end. They were fighting the wind and snow and could barely see the runners in front of them. Some of the soldiers dipped off down crags in the side. And some of the flight teams disappeared into one valley or a grove.

Then it dawned on Ivory. “Of all the places to be... she showing up here?”

“Who?” Bruce wondered.

“The red balloon. I swear I saw it. The tart of a unicorn you saw when we met in the wastes. She's some sort of crazy stalker, I swear.”

“Well, whoever she is, I'm sure Dusty isn't in any real danger...”

“Yeah.” Ivory glanced over her shoulder. “Where the hell are the traps? This gorge just keeps going. And where is everyone?”

They could feel the chill of the shrikes behind them and only a few of the runners remained with them. The canyon was opening up and the high mountain walls seemed to continue forever. Ivory saw no nets, no ponies waiting, just rocks and snow and more winter than she ever wanted to see.

What she saw next made her gut wrench. The canyon twisted to the right and ended in a pocket of high cliff walls. Char stood at the top of the summit, watching as Galebright swooped down and dropped a shining object at the center. Ivory, Bruce, and a few other old guards skidded to a stop.

“They're going to bring the mountain down on us,” Ivory hissed. “We're going to be buried alive with them. We have to get out of here!”

Bruce turned in place just in time to be swept over, ducking the rake of talons from a shrike. The blue birds circled them now and he laughed. “Well, if we're alive long enough to be buried, that'll be something impressive.”

She couldn't see but she thought that Char looked quite happy with himself as he once again blew the horn, and the whole mountain seemed to quake beneath them, and sheets of white began to funnel rapidly down the bluffs. The birds descended and Ivory braced herself.

“At least we gave Dusty a chance,” said Bruce as the shadow of the mountain descended over them.

#

Just as soon as the birds had come for Dusty, the horn had sounded. It must have been the plan set into motion. He laid low until he was sure that every frost shrike had gone and would not notice him rooting about. Then he waited a little longer.

Being shocked into the present was never a pleasant thing. He quietly lurched forward. There, propped against the edge of a window and a dip in the cloud floor was a cracked cherry wood chest of drawers.

This has to be it, he thought. He carefully reached for the drawer Luna had gone for. He gave the drawer a tug, and then drew back with a yelp as white heat raced up his back.

Red aura crept over him and he twisted in place without a thought until he was floating and held low beneath a rusty looking unicorn. He laughed with a voice male and female, past and present, a distortion perverting the very space of the world. The familiarity crept into him all too fast. His eyes widened as he met Ruby Horn's gaze. Full of fire and anger and raw power that kept him bent to the ground. The pyres of Camp Firelight now burned before his breathless, useless body.