• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 3,140 Views, 93 Comments

Fire and Reign - Shakespearicles



Twilight loves Celestia, but struggles to tell her in a letter.

  • ...
31
 93
 3,140

See You Again

From the day she was born, Twilight knew she would die alone. She faced down battle after battle with a sense of bravery that only immortals dare possess. For she knew that so long as somepony was by her side, death would look past her. When the moment finally comes, she will have somepony near when she has to fall. But her grim prediction will not have been wrong. Because the one beside her will not be her very special somepony. And thus, her prophesy shall be fulfilled.

-----

Celestia watched as the swarming horde poured in from the numerous tunnels in the walls. Dozens of black bodies flew and buzzed around her in a wide circle, growing thicker by the second as more and more joined the fray. Celestia stood her ground unmoved. The circle slowed in its rotation until it came to a standstill. Bluish-green glowing eyes peered at her from all direction. Others hovered, buzzing loudly above the ones standing on the floor. There was only a small gap where she could still see Chrysalis sitting confidently on her throne, Twilight, limp in her arms. Celestia turned in a slow circle, addressing the noisy swarm. Her powerful voice cut through the din.

"I am Princess Celestia of Equestria. I have ruled for longer than these mountains have stood. I defeated Nightmare Moon. I defeated Discord, Lord of Chaos. I beat back the fire nations of Draconia. I am known throughout the land and all through time. You share the collective history of your species in your hive-mind. Look me up!" the changelings looked at one another hesitantly.

"And ask yourselves this, 'Do I feel lucky?' And maybe, instead, do the smart thing, and let someone else go first."

The noisy swarm calmed to a silence and slowly backed away from her. Chrysalis screamed out.

"Whoever kills the pony princess shall be my new mate!" To a changeling, such a prospect is greater than the threat of death. It was all it took to send them into a frenzy.

The world went into slow motion. The circle of changelings around her collapsed inwards on her. She took a deep breath, focusing her will.

"YOL TOOR SHUL"

A blast of the fury of a thousand suns burst out from around her. Her eyes glowed brightly. The wave of fire exploded outward, incinerating the closest attackers into ash. The next wave behind them were fatally burned, and thrown backwards into the rest of the mob. They were accompanied by the charred remnants of their brethren showering onto the survivors.

Celestia's eyes quickly returned to normal. Her normally ethereal mane hung limply at her side, a dull pink. She could not feel her connection to the sun here, in this place. She did not have the limitless power of a goddess.

But they didn't know that.

And watching a fiery holocaust incinerate most of your allies would make you think twice about another direct assault. She hadn't the power for another magic gout like that right away. But it sent the message she intended. 'Don't buck with me.'

"What are you waiting for?" Chrysalis hissed, "Kill her!"

Celestia dropped into a defensive stance raising her hoof. She looked about herself, keeping one eye on her polished, golden hoof, granting her a view behind her. A pair of changelings tried to ambush her from the rear. They were met with a powerful buck from her hind legs. A few thought they were smart, dropping in from above. Celestia flexed her wings into a powerful flare, bringing each leading edge up as sharp and ridged as a sword's edge.

"Any between me and that unicorn dies!" Celestia shouted, marching toward Chrysalis. Her hooves sent shock waves through the ground as she closed the distance. Others continued to try their luck. Celestia's magic burned on fumes. It drew on a painful new source.

Hate

Her hatred made her powerful. Her magic was tainted with darkness as she continued to spout flame and other elemental attacks. They were like animals to her. And she slaughtered them like animals. She hated them!

The handful remaining were not so eager to embrace death and held back. Celestia stood mere feet away from the queen.

"Hand her over, or I swear to you that every one of you will die here tonight." the princess growled. All she got back was a confident smile. A murmur of a giggle that erupted into full on evil laughter.

Chrysalis cackled, "You don't really think our queen would leave the fate of Equestria in some final showdown with you do you?" she laughed as her form melted away, revealing another, changeling minion in her place. Twilight beside her flashed green, revealing another changeling minion. 'Chrysalis' continued. "Our spy has been in you Twilight's place in Canterlot many days. A final battle here? No, you need an ace in the hole. Ours is Twilight. Your precious Twilight!" the changeling laughed. The one beside it changed back into Twilight, as did the queen impostor. As did all the others remaining in the room.

"Please don't kill us Princess, we love you!" They all said in unison, mocking Celestia in Twilight's voice. Celestia called forth her magic. She would incinerate this whole room for besmirching her Twilight in such a way. But her magic failed her. Hatred is a strong source of power, but it is self destructive. It burned everything, even the user. Celestia looked at all the copies of her love around her. She could feel her heart ripping in half. Her anger burned away into despair.

She had to get away. She had to get away. She had to get away as tears poured down her cheeks. She flew out of the broken hole in the structure. She took to the sky outside as fast as she could. She had failed. She had failed. The words repeated over and over in her head. She had failed to save Twilight. She had given in to anger and hatred. It left her feeling sick and twisted inside.

Queen Chrysalis looked on. Feed on love, she did. But other emotions she could feel as well. Celestia was ready. She was ready to be broken completely. To be given hope, only to have it shattered one final time. She would kill her heart.

"CELESTIA!" the true Queen yelled out from the clifftop above the palace. Celestia halted her flee and turned. Below her, Chrysalis held Twilight in her arms. "I believe THIS is what you are searching for!" Celestia swooped into a sharp dive. "Here is the pony you have saved." Chrysalis took Twilight's head into her hooves and gave her a light kiss on the forehead. Then she gave it a violent twist before casting her over the edge of the cliff.

A lot of things went through Twilight's mind as she fell.

Celestia flew faster than she had ever before, catching Twilight just before she hit the jagged rocks below. Twilight's eyes could barely focus as she looked up at the princess. Her princess.

"Tia... I- I can't feel..." her face grimaced in pain.

Celestia's tears fell freely onto Twilight's matted fur. "Shhh, Twilight. It'll be okay. Everything is going to be okay. I have you now."

Twilight's eyes glazed over a bit. "I- I love... I love..." Twilight's eyelids slowly closed as her last breath wheezed out from her broken body. Celestia could feel the life leave her small purple form. She collapsed, clutching her tightly to her chest, weeping openly into her lavender fur. As the princess bawled out, it echoed across the hills as the whole of the changeling empire looked on at the broken spirit.

"Twilight! Wake up!" Celestia begged, "Please wake up!" She shook her. "You're not dead! PLEEEASE!" Celestia screamed.

Chrysalis looked on with her changeling empire. The anguish of the immortal was delicious! This was her final victory, to break the princess. She was in such a state of despair that she had lost the will to live. She would be easy prey now to-

A grey Pegasus punched through the overcast cover. The small hole broke through the dark, cloudy skies. A single beam of sunlight fell upon the princess. Her dull pink mane came to life around her. It flow with renewed color in the solar wind. Her tear filled eyes shot open. She looked up at the top of the cliff at the one who orchestrated this fate. The beautiful colors burned away as her mane turned to flames, rolling and boiling along her neck. Her eyes were devoid of soul, glowing pure white. Chrysalis had not anticipated this contingency. She watched her well laid plans fall to pieces, "Oh."

In the dark lands to the far west, there is a cursed place. It was once the home to a great empire of a long forgotten race. But they came to a terrible end when a good mare went to war. And on that day, it is said, the sun rose twice, leveling mountains and laying waste to the entire region. There is naught left there now but the scorched earth of furious revenge and the forsaken souls that haunt it.

Celestia was utterly exhausted. Solar powered she may be. But sunlight was no food for the soul. She began the long walk back to Canterlot. She carried Twilight- no, it was not Twilight anymore. She carried Twilight's body on her back. She hated everything that happened. She hated the changelings. But more than anything, she hated herself. She hated herself for failing to save Twilight. She hated herself for letting herself fall in love again, just to have her heart broken. She hated herself for giving into hate. She just hated.

She marched on, stopping neither for food, drink or rest. Perhaps this was her hell. To march forever on, the body of her beloved upon her back, weighing heavily upon her body and soul. After what felt like an eternity, the city came into view. Celestia walked through the green pastures of the city's west. Where she and Twilight had watched their last sunset together.

'No- wait, that was a changeling at that point.' Celestia cursed herself. Perhaps that hurt more than all. She did not know when they had taken her. She did not know how long she had been giving her love to some impostor!

Luna sensed her sister's return. She flew out to meet her in the field. "Sister you have retur-" she looked at Twilight's still form on her back. Celestia's sullen, bloodshot eyes said more than any words could have. Luna shuddered and shrank away, aghast. "Oh, oh no! Oh sister we didn't- we're so so sorry." Luna teared up, "We'll- we will make the preparations." she cried as she flew back to the city ahead of Celestia's slow, steady march.

Celestia walked through the gates of the city. The streets had lined with the citizens of the kingdom. Celestia's gaze wavered from side to side as she walked past. None would dare meet her eyes. All bowed to the ground in reverence.

And fear. Fear of what they might see in her eyes that had turned the Princess of the night a whiter shade of pale.

Celestia walked through the street. The whole city was silent. The usually bustling capital was eerily still, save for the rhythmic clop of the princess's hooves. One in front of the other. As she made her way to the castle. Inside, even the guards, who were regularly accustomed to the royal presence, shied away.

At the end of the hallway, Luna stood by, waiting by the staircase that led down to the royal catacombs. Luna's eyes were on the floor as her sister drew near. Twilight's final resting place would be among the greatest ponies in the history of Equestria. Her name would be remembered for all time. Celestia froze in her tracks as she remembered asking Twilight to first ride out with her. To charge forward into the unknown. To run.

When you run with the Princess, it feels like it will never end.
But however hard you try, you can't run forever.
Everypony knows that everypony dies.
And nopony knows it like Celestia
But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark
if she ever, for one moment, accepts it.

Celestia turned and ran away from Luna. She ran through the hallways of the castle. Luna chased after her. She ran into her personal study, which held some of the oldest texts in the world. She carefully laid Twilight down on the soft reading sofa, and then scrambled through dusty, ancient scrolls. Luna burst into the room after her.

"Celestia what are you doing?" Luna asked with deep concern. Celestia ignored her, flipping through several books. "What are you planning?" Celestia finally pulled out the spell she had sought after, laying it open on the reading table. Luna recognized the seal. "Sister, you can not use that! That spell is unnatural! Your life will be forfeit!"


"Then it is forfeit." Celestia's horn flared to life.

I've seen fire and I've seen rain.
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend.
But I always thought that I'd see you again.

Twilight opened her eyes and looked up at Celestia. She was crying. Why was she crying. Twilight could only feel joy. Joy in seeing her love again. She reached up to hug her. Celestia wrapped her hooves around her, pulling her close. "Oof, I'm right here princess." Twilight managed to get out as she was squeezed, "I'm not going anywhere." Celestia just hugged harder. Twilight wrapper her hooves around her to run them through her soft feathery-

"Princess! Your wings!" Twilight yelped, feeling at her bare back. "What happened?"

Celestia dried her eyes for a moment. "Oh, Twilight. It's simple really. I just saved your life."

"But your wings! What does this mean!" Twilight pleaded.

"I made a choice. A choice to spend my life with you. I choose a mortal life." Celestia said with a soft smile. Twilight began to cry.

"We were supposed to be together forever!" she shouted, crying into Celestia's shoulder.

"No Twilight. We were meant to get just the same as anypony else." She held her close, kissing her tenderly. "We get a lifetime."

The End

Comments ( 30 )

First off I must say amazing story Skyrim references, Doctor Who references, LOTR references, you sir are amazing. however I must also add that with that ending you sir are an asshole. well played :moustache::trollestia::twilightsheepish:

2307557 Thank you. That ending took me a long time.

hmmmmm well that was an ending. Can't really say how I feel about it other than that it certainly ends things. It felt a bit rushed in places to be honest.

Yes, it does feel slightly rushed.
I think of you spent a little more lines on each moment, with more description/thoughts, it would feel more paced.
I do like how the way you describe her thu'um it males her sound more like a Tongue, she is mentally focusing the magic, and hard to do.
And I do kind of like the spending her immortality to bring her back. With the show canon as it is, its even easier than before to have a 'and they lived happily ever after' ending.
Not that I don't love ALL OF THE TWILIESTIA! but hardship makes stories good.
Well done.

Great story, love it and I am never reading tragedy again. I feel so sad right now :fluttercry:.

And a Sandman reference at the end for the win!

2315372 You sir get +10 internets! My fans continue to impress me.

Well, now. That was quite the ending.

2315385

I own the whole series in the nice hardback editions, including the Complete Death book. I also have all the spin off series and mini series. What can I say, I like it.

2322041 Do you have the 'Bast' spin off? That one is my favorite! Get's me right in the feels.

Neato! Really liked the story!

2322527

That's the story where Bast tries one last time to recapture her old glory by resurrecting the suicide girl with the spirit of the dead kitten right? One of my favorite spin-off mini series. Lucifer is my absolute most favorite derivative work though.

2324972 Neato! Really liked the avatar!

Not really a tragedy since it is not Celestias weakness that brought about the events. (maybe you could argue about that i guess). So Sad would be more fitting i think?

And from the whole situation im left assuming that Twilight is also not immortal, simply for the reason that all Celestia gave was her immortality, but well cheating death AND granting "immortality" (the kind where you can die, but not from natural causes like old age) is too much.

Also have to mention Chrysalis mind controling Discord, she could not control Shining Armor that way, why Discord?
All she did was weaken Shining until the point where he couldnt keep the shield up, if she controlled him she would have made him drop the shield whenever she wanted.


All that aside i liked it :pinkiehappy: have a follow and good luck with future fics. :pinkiesmile:

Good: Great writing, made me cry and had a great plot.
Bad: The ending definitely could`ve been better and you didn`t seem to really capture Twilight`s personality.
It was still a really nice story and it was worthy of these smilie faces.
:trollestia::trollestia::trollestia::trollestia::trollestia:

Woah.
Very, very well written, ending almost made me cry...
Kudos for James Taylor reference, of course.
The ending, for me at least, didn't seem as rushed as some think it to be, although it did kind of escalate in an odd way.
Overall though, I loved it.

It's not a bad story, but it does need to be fleshed out. The action felt like it came out of nowhere. I was settling in for a nice romance, but all this unexplained action movie got sprinkled in. Although it was all resolved, there was too little explanation for it all, not to mention the plot hole 2351824 mentioned. Still, it was pretty good. :twilightsmile:

The Doctor Who references! I am drowning in the Doctor Who references!

Hate

Her hatred made her powerful. Her magic was tainted with darkness as she continued to spout flame and other elemental attacks. They were like animals to her. And she slaughtered them like animals. She hated them!

About my comment in the previous chapter: She is neither one of those two things. She is both Celestia Skywalker and Darth Celestia (The combination of Princess Celestia and Anakin Skywalker and the combination of Princess Celestia and Darth Sidious.)

From the day she was born, Twilight knew she would die alone.

Heh. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier reference.

7364037
Well of course you understood that reference, you're the one who made it! I'm just giving the source material it's proper dues just in case anyone else didn't understand it!

So...Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones reference was also spotted...

See you again

Vin diesel equals Celestia.
Paul is Twilight

Well, I didn’t cry but I am touched.
But the ending was a bit..uh.
:facehoof:

The beautiful colors burned away as her mane turned to flames, rolling and boiling along her neck. Her eyes were devoid of soul, glowing pure white. Chrysalis had not anticipated this contingency. She watched her well laid plans fall to pieces.

Did Shakespearicles predict Daybreaker?

Eh, I wouldn't be to worried, Celestia gave Twilight wings, Celestia will probably get her wings back, in fact it's probably only gonna take 10 seconds so I wouldn't be worried.

Login or register to comment