• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 2,694 Views, 87 Comments

Remembering the Fallen - vren55



The Mane 6 discover the remains of a long dead Royal Guard and learn the importance of remembrance

  • ...
5
 87
 2,694

Epilogue

Epilogue

Rainbow Dash neatly put her dress away in her wardrobe and then proceeded to collapse upon her fluffy cloud bed. The pegasus was exhausted from the ceremonies and having to do the sonic rainboom so many times. Although, it gave her a bit of a warm feeling in her chest to do such a thing for the soldiers. Yet, as Rainbow drew the covers over herself, she felt a little unsatisfied about the outcome of the events. Sure, they had interred the unknown mare in a separate ceremony from the main memorial ceremony and now all of Equestria knew of the sacrifices that had been made. But in the end, they never found out the name of the mare.

“After all we’ve done for each other, it would be cool if I knew your name,” mumbled Rainbow. It was then that a voice, faded like washed fabric, but still strong in conviction wafted into Rainbow’s ear.

“Hailstorm...”

Rainbow bolted up against the head of her bed, senses alert and eyes peeled for danger, but as soon as she saw where the voice was coming from, her jaw fell. Across from her was a mare, ghostly in figure, but her colours somehow sharp. She wore golden armour, with the shining amethyst set into the helmet. Her mane was dark yellow like a lion’s mane and her fur was a pale green the shade of honeydew. Soft, ice-blue eyes regarded Rainbow Dash and a warm smile graced her face.

“My name is Hailstorm of Cloudsdale, Captain of the 1st Cohort of the Royal Day Guardsponies. Thank you Rainbow Dash. We all thank you.” And behind Hailstorm appeared scores of ponies, proudly bearing armour of all kinds. Pegasi, unicorn and earth pony, mare and stallion, young and old, all of them gazing at Rainbow Dash with proud looks and wide smiles. Some of them were cheering loudly and others had the barest trace of a smile on their lips. As they faded away, Rainbow Dash felt the corner of her eyes turn wet and she quickly wiped them away.

“Don't worry, I’d never leave anypony hanging.”

Author's Note:

I am deeply sorry for not being able to update the story for so long. The epilogue was written, but I wanted to squeeze in a chapter about the ceremony led by Twilight. I finally managed to conjure the concentration to do so.

Thank you for following this story. Have a great well... exam and winter holidays.

Comments ( 20 )

2866982

You asked for two chapters?

3620463
Over the Hills and Far Away was/is, not sure for this day and age, the regiments marching song :) Any reference to the Rifles is a win in my book.

Ah,been wating for this bit of closure for quite some time. Good job.

I had this music playing in my head during the ceremony and epilogue:

I was actually crying even though I'm not emotional over things like this unless it's very sad. This is the best icons I could find to show how I reacted. :pinkiesad2: :ajsleepy: :raritydespair: :fluttercry: *salute*

3621113 Thanks

3620949 :D I really like the song, at least the version sung by Alfie Boe. He's got a great voice and it fits the historical circumstances.

3621113 Thanks

3621187 Welcome

3623498 Well its a bittersweet story and was meant to be solemn in tone. I'm... glad? I suppose for able to speak to people with the story, but i wasn't actually expecting anybody to burst into tears. It surprises me and touches me as well.

Welp! Tears! :pinkiesad2: :rainbowdetermined2:

This says so much about the price of a Utopian society.

Remembrance, eh?

:derpytongue2: Just reminded me of the refrain:derpytongue2:

That is all. Equestria is ours.

:rainbowwild::derpytongue2:

so many tears for fallen heroes

Beautiful story. Very well done!

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

That was a magnificent story. Beautiful and moving.

Well, a late comer to this party, but yes, a magnificent story and good lesson in story form that freedom has a cost, in peace or war.

9329919
welcome, it definitely needs improvement though XD

9574263
Ah... that was one of my earliest writing attempts with pony fiction. I was still working out a lot of stuff. Thanks Paul!

Login or register to comment