• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,018 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,018

PreviousChapters Next
New Boards, New Games

The Aether was roiling and troubled, flashing with low lights and distant rumbles of thunder. The balance of Creation had been upset, and when the physical nature of the world was threatened, the magical world responded in kind. Not many had trod here, not since the ancient days of Unbound Magic, before Celestia had bent it to better suit the physical world. Starswirl had walked here, and the Great Sages of the Unicorn Tribes. Much of the battle against Discord had been fought here, as well. It was his home as well as the Alicorns’, including the one walking through it now, away from a pool of milky water sheltered by three pillars of warped stone.

Luna strode through the seas of magic, watching them caress her like an old friend or lover might, and she smiled a little at their familiar touch. If she could, she would love to spend as much of her time here as possible, but she loved the world too much to stay away long. Her form here was as it truly should have been, a Goddess made of flame of dark blue and red and black, serene and soothing to all who could see it. Onwards she walked, through fields of memories and across the slowly flowing rivers of life and death, passing through thickets of possibilities and gazing up into the white mist that served as the sky here. Time was changeable in the Aether, or what passed for the Aether to her, but it seemed to her that far too little time had passed when she arrived at her destination.

A sea of stars stretched before her. Not in the sense mortals used the term, but an actual sea of glowing celestial fire that lit the horizon as far as it could in either direction without being overly loud or dazzling. It was more along the lines of starlight made liquid, softly glowing with promise and magic. Seating herself, she waited. She knew that her presence had been felt, and she did not wait long before the sky flashed brightly, and a pillar of golden flame descended from the heavens to come to rest near her. It flickered for a moment, reasserting itself, before it took the form of Princess Celestia, who nodded her head regally.

Sister.

Well met, Celestia. Knowest thou why I am here?

Not for any of the cares of the mortal world. You wait by The Sea. So I suppose you mean to ask of it a question.

Indeed. The creature I bore has come loose.

I had thought that it was merely the effects of your Breaking Magic.

Hardly. The cool-burning Alicorn gazed out to the sea. I have ever struggled with that monstrosity, and thought it my cross to bear. An extra weapon with which to restore the Balance, if needed. But the beast would not heed my calls. I unchained it, yes, but I did not think it would abandon my company entirely.

Meanest thou that your construct was not a construct?

The sullen flame shimmered, what passed for a laugh in a place like this. It was a poor laugh, more desperate than amused. Nay, I have seen many constructs. I have made several, and called them back into myself as well. That was not a part of me.

The golden flame was silent. For an eternal moment, she too stared out at the sea, thinking that over, before turning to her sister. And now it resists your recalling?

Nay, I have not attempted to call it to me, because I cannot find it. I have scryed the entire world already, and asked the Truth-Seekers to discern its location. They cannot see it. It appears to have fled into the savage lands of the South, nearing the realm of Stone and Fire.

By this, she meant the land of the Gryphons. She was not willing to speak their names here, or indeed the names of any thing in the mortal world while in this sacred place. It would only upset the balance further.

Celestia’s voice was grave. The Balance will suffer if that thing is allowed to take root.

This is why I need your help. We are not allies, but against that thing we can be. Ask with me. The Sea will answer two, even though the Third has fled.

And where is our brother?

I have not seen him. No doubt in the far reaches of the Aether, amusing himself in some dark corner.

Celestia’s choice was easy. Very well. If The Sea knows of it, it will know where it is. Shall I begin?

Very well.

Light of Water…

Sand of Bone…

A boon we ask…

For things unknown!

The Sea was calm as ever, waves breaking on the beach before them without pause. A glimmer of Power rippled through the light in front of them, echoing off into the horizon, and the two Sisters waited patiently. They did not wait long.

With a rush of water, in between one wave and the next, a fount of liquid light splashed onto the sand, and glided towards the Sisters before stopping in front of them. When it spoke, its voice was soft as rain, and powerful as the mighty depths of the ocean itself. It was The Sea, that which touched on all things equally. The only Powers greater than its own stood in front of it.

Ask…

Where is The Shadow? Where has it fled to?

And how do we destroy it?

The thing of water and light was still for a moment, and while it thought, the waves behind it ceased their crashing upon the shore. It thought and thought, and retreated in on itself. The surface of the starlight behind it was unnaturally smooth, like glass. It was calm for a moment, eerily so. And then, the storm broke.

Death! Destroyer! Ender of Worlds, Devourer of All! It comes for Creation!

The sky crackled with lightning and roared with thunder, the white mist churning and tearing overhead as the Aether rebelled against the horror of what had been discovered while the water remained flat, as if inverting the vista of a stormy ocean. The pillar of watery light continued to boom its dire proclamations as the two flames were driven back.

It has Begun, Sun and Moon. Now there is no hope, no place it cannot reach. It cannot be destroyed, for it is the Destroyer. It cannot be reasoned with, for it is not of Creation and therefore does not comprehend it. The World is out of Balance, and it must be restored! The Sun has caused another to Ascend, and now there must be another to counter. If you cannot counter Dawn with Dusk, then your petty squabble over mortals is for naught!

Luna stepped forward, legs bowed in supplication. But if Celestia carries the day, then all is unbalanced! Nothing will redeem it!

The very foundations of the Aether shook as the soft glow of the sky became a blinding light. The Sea lashed out, driving her from her hooves. Fool. This is not my will. It is the will of the Aether.

I have not heard it in this place, though I have been listening.

The pillar turned to face Celestia. No, this place does not speak. It is deathly quiet. You know of that which I speak. So too does the Moon, and the Mad One.

You mean…

I do.

The pillar of light sank back into the ocean without another word. As if it were bidden, the waves once again lapped at the shore.

Luna regained her footing before nodding at Celestia and vanishing. They both knew what had to be done, unpalatable as it might be. Luna would once again move her pieces, and Celestia would move hers. But now, the black and white would move together, and their goal was the same. Dusk must be brought into the fold. And she must not know of it until too late. There was no other way. And Celestia was ready now, after all these years, to see the Evening fall under her rule. With Luna aiding her, how could she go wrong?


The Alicorn of the Sun came back to herself with a start, shaking her feathers out as she surveyed the field of ponies before her. All clad in golden plate, all smelling of war and death, all with white coats and red manes, her Sunborn stood like statues, waiting on her command. One thousand pairs of eyes, gleaming gold without pupils, gazed up at her from the parade ground, the very one where Twilight Sparkle had taken her independence of Celestia and fled Canterlot. She smiled and spread her wings, feeling the rich flow of the Ley beneath her as she waited for Cadance to begin her spell.

And with a jolt, she felt it begin. The vein of magical energy twisted in on itself, coiling like a serpent, before the rush of magic forced itself to the surface of the earth, hanging heavy over the arena like a heat haze, gathering more and more power as it went. Celestia could feel the rest of it speeding towards the Everfree Forest, flowing along its own well of arcane power before coming to a halt outside of Trottingham. She knew it to be so, could feel the lives pulsing in the city as the bridge of time and space and magic was carefully opened.

Like the sky itself had split to reveal the coldness of space beyond, a dark tear appeared in the sky, slowly sinking down to the ponies in the arena below. Just outside of Trottingham, the same phenomenon was observed, causing the alarm bells to begin ringing as the Ever Free fighters inside found their positions and waited.

Closer the tear came, and closer, until the entire group had departed, simply appearing outside of the fields of Trottingham. As they began to march forward in unison, Celestia at their head and Applebloom by her side, the portal behind them rotated to form a doorway, one that ponies could march through easily. Celestia felt more opening up across Equestria, from the northern orchards around Fillydelphia to the simple town of Ponyville to the streets of Manehatten. There would be a relative few coming with her, some two Legions of the Regulars and a very few of the Guard.

The Sunborn locked their shields as they approached the city, forming a cluster of moving shelters that ground across the earth slowly and terribly. Celestia stayed behind, watching them get their first taste of battle, and stayed out of sight of the town walls. As soon as they were in range, Celestia’s Chosen knew it. The heavy weapons of Trottingham had been presighted and quickly adjusted, and the defenders around the city’s outer walls cheered as the ground in front of them exploded in a cloud of smoke and shrapnel, the flash powder sphere arcing gracefully through the sky.

Their cheers died, however, when the smoke cleared to reveal that same group of ponies, continuing forward with hardly a scratch to show for it, and not a single one of them even winded. Another round was fired, more desperately this time, and again the earth erupted in smoke and flame. But the Sunborn continued on. The spellcasters on the walls began to open fire, as did the archers, hooves tightening on crossbows as quarrels sped forth, splintering on shields.

The fronts of the shield-squares began to ripple, and a wave of magical attacks burst forth, nearly all of them fire and force magic. They hit the walls hard, causing them to shake and crack. Before the unicorns manning the walls could retaliate, the wall of shields had closed up once more. Alarms began to ring as more ponies began to pour out of the portal behind Celestia, wearing the armor of Legionnaires in the Regulars. Another wave of magic from the Sunborn, and a section of the wall ceased to be, its defenders screaming as they were blown away by the increased power of the enhanced unicorns.

Celestia took to the air, speeding over the heads of attacker and defender alike. Her Pegasi followed her into the city, speeding down to ruthlessly crush bones and snap necks before taking to the air again, like hawks. A few fliers rose to challenge them. They did not last long. Celestia felt something lift her into the air and was much surprised to see a puff of black smoke underneath her. Clearly the defenders of the city were attempting to bring her down the same way they had destroyed her Third Fleet, which she could see smoldering in the distance.

She paid the anti-flier batteries no mind, instead setting course for the Governor’s Spire, upon which a tattered flag flew, displaying a red star on a purple field. She angled her hooves downward, landing in the courtyard amid cries of alarm. Composed, almost serene, she strode forward, ignoring the pikes that were bending on her hide and the spells skittering over her chest. One brave Earth pony attempted to block her entry to the door of the Tower. He was incinerated along with the thick slab of oak itself.

Stepping forward into the space before her, she was greeted with the view of every pony inside holding a weapon, all of them pointed at her. Without missing a beat, she spoke four words only.

“Where is my Commander?”

A unicorn, one who had been seated behind a desk until Celestia had walked inside, was the one to speak. “Deprived of her Element and taken to the Regia in the Everfree Forest. As per my orders.”

The monarch arched one eyebrow. “Indeed? And you are?”

“Lively Song, daughter of Long Haul and Lily, sister of High Climber and Night Light, and the one who took this city from her.” She drew her knife and faced Celestia proudly. “And I am ready to meet death, living Ever Free.”

Celestia’s eyes closed tightly, and when they opened, they burned with the light of the sun. “So be it. I charge the ponies of the Ever Free with treason. Sentence death, to be carried out immediately.”

And with a terrible scream, each pony in the Tower died in fire, bathed in heat and light by the Sun herself. It was not long before the flames reached the top of the spire, lapping like hungry tongues out of its windows and through its roof.

As the walls of Trottingham crumbled, and the Sunborn marched through with the Regulars at their backs, Twilight Sparkle’s flag burned as brightly as the sun.


The sun shone brightly over the Regia, and spilled over the two ponies inside, lying close to one another, twined together as if inseparable. Tarantella’s head rested comfortably near the chest of Twilight Sparkle, whose arms were wrapped around her tightly. Both ponies were breathing together, in perfect harmony, and were quiet and at peace. Not a sound was made save for deep even breathing, and it was as if nothing could touch them there, suspended in that one perfect moment.

But all such things end. Gradually, gently, Twilight opened her eyes, inhaling deeply as she was brought forth from deep sleep, by whatever mysterious force compels us to wake. Noticing the slight change, Tarantella followed her to the waking world soon after, and as they met eyes, both smiled at the sight of one another.

“Good morning, Tara.” Twilight murmured, brushing an errant strand of hair out of her lover’s face.

The Pegasus gave a pleased little groan as she wormed her way deeper into Twilight’s embrace. “And a good morning to you, my love.”

They lay silent for a moment, taking in the morning and each other for what both realized could be the last time. Twilight thought about all she had been through with this mare, how she had been the rock in Twilight’s storm, a friend and confidant and something strange and new, always a constant but never static. She was reminded of the little things about Tara, how she put on a brave face in public but still acted like a foolish girl in private, how she possessed stubbornness and level-headedness in equal measures, all of her little sayings and mannerisms. If Twilight was going to be captured today, or killed, then she would do it with Tarantella in her heart.

Tara looked at Twilight in much the same way, gold eyes meeting violet. She remembered how they had struggled their first winter, how Twilight had shown herself to be steel inside of velvet, how she practiced for war but desired peace, and how she loved those who were loyal to her more fiercely than anything Tarantella had ever seen. Twilight had come a long way from the frightened young mare who had flown with Tarantella all those years ago. She was a ruler now, a leader that Tara was proud to serve alongside. But she had stayed true to herself. She still believed in redemption, in forgiveness, that she could work out her problems in ways other than war. And for that , Tarantella Allegretta loved her all the more.

Twilight kissed her Pegasus lover on the forehead. “Tara, I need to ask you a question.”

She nodded eagerly. “I will hear it, Twilight.”

“Tara, tonight may be our last night together. Come what may, tomorrow morning we will be at war. I imagine it’s already started, And if that’s the case, then I want you to know that regardless of how much time we have left, or how little, that I have never been so happy as I have been with you. You gave me hope when I was hopeless, you’ve seen me at my best and worst, and still stayed by my side. You’re more than beautiful, you’re funny, and kind, and good in ways I can’t even describe, much as I would like to.”

Twilight drew Tara in closer, as if she was afraid of losing her. “I’ve never felt this way around any other pony. You make my heart flutter every time I look at you, and I know that I can count on you to be there with me, whenever it matters. Forever. And I want you to know that as much as you consider me to be your Other Wing, as much as you say that I complete you, that I love you so much that I’d give you anything. I’d give up my magic for you, Tarantella Allegretta. I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

Tarantella did something she had not done in years. She began to cry, as Twilight said a simple sentence. “Tarantella Allegretta, of Clan Allegretta, will you marry me?”

The silence that followed was one of the most awful Twilight had ever experienced. Her heart hammered, her throat caught, it seemed as if she was floating. And then , Tarantella looked her in the eye, and with a beautiful smile, made Twilight Sparkle, for one brief moment, the happiest mare in Equestria.

“Yes, Twilight Sparkle. Yes, a thousand times yes. I will marry you.”

Though the world remained outside, and war, and death, in that single moment none of it could stand. For one brief moment, love held supreme dominion over the land.


Cadance shook with exhaustion as she opened another portal, this one to the largest Regular camp in the north, hone to nearly ten Legion’s worth of Regulars. Moving the Ley was hard work, and though she felt her new power growing inside of her, it still took everything she had to keep them open long enough for ponies to march through. As they finished, she closed each one with a gasp, but the fatigue stayed with her. Thankfully Celestia had been quick with moving her forces through the portal, as it had collapsed after she had gone through. No losses, but it had been close.

She attempted once more to manipulate the vast reservoir of energy under the Everfree, but it resisted her fiercely. It almost seemed alive in a way that the other ley lines didn’t, bordering on the self-aware. When she reached for that in the hopes of replenishing herself, she not only was unable to use it, but actually found that some of her magic had been drained.

And that was something she could not afford, no matter how she wished she could rest. Using the power inside of her, she cast about to gain knowledge of her situation. Most of the army had arrived near the Whitetail Woods, and were even now marching through or around Ponyville. The vast army would camp there for the evening, and then begin their assault. From there it was scant miles to the Everfree Forest. She knew there were ponies there, waiting for the Equestrian forces, but they were hidden from her entirely. That would be Radiant Zenith’s doing, she supposed.

But Cadance could tell how things were proceeding in Trottingham. Celestia had left not an hour ago, and already the Ever Free forces were being routed. She could feel the urgency and panic they felt as they withdrew into the Forest, escorting the last barges of refugees. One of the refugees in particular was extremely unhappy, and Cadance idly focused on that one. It was a little filly, a Pegasus, fleeing the city with her two keepers, who were doing her best to calm the crying child.

With a start, she realized that this filly, hardly more than a foal, was deaf. Her heart went out to the poor thing, and she too did her best to calm her. She focused her Power, feeling for the calm center within herself, and transferring some of that emotion to the filly in the boat. With a smile, she watched from afar as the young filly fell asleep, exhausted from her ordeal. Cadance would have no influence after she entered the Forest, but hopefully the sleep would take hold before then, and she would wake up with some measure of peace.

The ley lines surged again, unusually and powerfully. She groaned, and pushed harder, feeling the portals stabilize. She chided herself for losing focus. There were more important things than one filly. Though she made a note to watch for her in the coming days. Perhaps she could save her. After all, there was no way one so young and helpless could be guilty of much.

She monitored the lines as she continued to maintain what portals were open, close those no longer necessary, and open new ones to replace them. Soon Equestria’s ley lines began to writhe in earnest, as the youngest Alicorn diverted the natural fabric of Creation to help preserve it. She had a utopia to ensure, a war to win, and a land to save.


High on the mountain, in an otherwise silent garden, a sinuous statue shuddered. Things had been approaching a head for months, and only yesterday did Twilight deal her final blow. And what a blow it had been. The Balance was undone. Equestria’s natural magic was warped and twisted, and Chaos reigned supreme.

Soon. It would happen soon.

PreviousChapters Next