• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,016 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
A Black Sacrifice

There is nothing on the face of the planet more terrifying than fighting a dragon. There is a reason anypony brave or foolish enough to take one on and win has been immortalized through song and story, and why nearly every good epic tale features a dragon in some capacity. Sometimes they are portrayed as benevolent creatures, dispensing great wisdom and perhaps even magical aid in the form of some amulet or trinket. Other times they are shrewd hoarders, engaging in games of chance or riddle contests with heroes who attempt to steal from their mounds of gold and jewels. And sometimes, they are skinwalkers, traveling the land in search of new and interesting ponies, in the form of beautiful mares or handsome stallions. Children borne by these, always raised by their other parent, often go on to do great things in such tales. But all agree. The wrath of a dragon is terrible to behold. They are cunning and patient, avaricious and cruel, arrogant and terrible. But they do not need to be any of those things to destroy their enemies; they have no need of steel or spell to win the day.

No, the anger of a dragon dawns in fire. And in fire, so did nine dragons lay waste to the field.

Sweetie Belle charged forward, daggers sweeping under the low guard of an unfortunate legionnaire and neatly hamstringing him as she sidestepped his spear thrust. Scootaloo was right behind, driving a hoof forward into the skull of another, who dropped bonelessly to the ground. She flapped her wings once, arching in a textbook example of a backflip over the spear thrust of another before she landed on her back hooves, crouching low and spinning, and extending one out. It caught him in the back of the knee, causing him to lose his balance and collapse while she calmly broke his spear, flipping the point forward and causing him to impale himself neatly through the chest.

Sweetie Belle wove sideways past another spear, thrust by another Regular, trapping the haft between her foreleg and body as she reared up, applying pressure to the wooden pole and snapping it with ease. Her dagger entered the back of his skull neatly, coming out stained a dark red as he stumbled and fell. She saw a duo of legionnaires working together to impale an unlucky unicorn who had lost her own weapon, a simple staff tipped on each end with two sharp blades, which was tangled in a net . She attempted to turn and flee, in order to free up space for her to use her horn, but before she could go more than a few steps one lucky lunge caught her in the belly. Brick, the Earth pony, roared in displeasure and rammed the trident he was holding through them both before twisting it cruelly and pulling back sharply, leaving a gaping hole through which the entrails of the soldiers could be seen.

Before he could do much more, however, a Regular charge broke through the tentative line they had established, and he was forced to retreat, the unicorn mare slung over his back as he fended the soldiers off skillfully. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo charged the line, several others following them as they covered Brick’s retreat. The giant roared, hurling his weapon through the air as he left the conflict, hauling the gravely wounded unicorn to safety.

A gust of fire spun overhead, annihilating a nearby formation of Regulars where they stood. Sweetie Belle charged through the fire, summiting the ridge where they had once stood, and looked out over the battlefield as Scootaloo and several other Irregulars arrived behind her. One, a Pegasus, calmly began firing into the massed ranks in front of her with a crossbow, causing pony after pony to crumple silently. The Regulars began to retreat, blowing horns as they did so.

“They’re on the run!” Scootaloo shouted exuberantly. “Can you believe it, Sweetie Belle? Bucking dragons out of nowhere! Nine including Spike! And we’ve got them on the run!”

What appeared to be a red comet arced out of the sky, and it slammed into the hilltop beside them, revealing the slightly worse for the wear body of Rainbow Dash, who was crouching on all four hooves and wincing in pain. Her eyes widened when she realized that everypony on the hilltop was pointing a weapon at her, and she dropped her mace with a clatter.

“Sorry! Sorry!” she yelled. “I’m not used to using my Element like this. I’ve come to talk to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo!”

A boulder soared gracefully through the air, heading straight for them. Rainbow Dash turned, and with a grunt, the aura of red surrounding her lashed out, grabbing the hunk of stone and hurling it back in the direction it had come from. She turned back to the group, her eyes falling on the two Crusaders. “Listen up and listen good. Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie are currently herding the majority of the Regulars back towards the river.” She indicated the black shimmering band in the distance, and the fierce fighting occurring in that area. Flashes of prismatic light erupted near that area, and Celestia was trading blows with a small figure, one who was throwing bolts of shimmering silver.

“ Well, all except for Twilight. Three dragons, Spike, and herself have engaged Celestia. But she needs the rest of us.” Rainbow Dash said. “I can’t stay long. Applejack wants you two to try and recover her sister, so she can free herself up. Once you have her, we can break off from the fighting and help Twilight bring Celestia to heel. We saw her as Twilight brought us in, she’s back towards the camp. She might listen to you, at least for long enough to knock her out or something. Get her subdued, and we’ll take care of Celestia. This group you have here, what are they called?”

“Irregulars.” Scootaloo said. “They’re the Irregulars.”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Nice name. I like it. You’re kicking some major flank out there. You hit the Regulars like a freaking freight train, don’t let up when you reach the bottom of the hill.”

Scootaloo nodded. “Got it.”

Rainbow Dash spread her wings, ready to take off. “Good mare. Keep it up, we’ve got Celestia on the ropes here! If you can get Applebloom, the rest of the Sunborn aren’t your problem. Get back to the Fort, hold out there until we wrap this up. Radiant Zenith has been maintaining the defenses and marshaling some sort of big magic near the Fort. So be ready for that. And Scootaloo?”

The orange Pegasus’s voice was guarded. “Yes?”

Rainbow Dash’s expression softened. “I’m proud of you. You’re a better mare than I ever was, I can tell you that. When we’re done here, I want to talk to you, got it?”

Scootaloo straightened up, her eyes shining. “Got it. See you on the flip side.”

The Wielder of Loyalty nodded before grabbing her mace, and with one smooth motion, her wings snapped downward, propelling her into the sky.

Scootaloo turned to her friend. “You see where the Sunborn are?”

Sweetie Belle nodded, looking over the field in front of them. One group hadn’t run, and stood firm on the flat stretch they occupied, not even fazed by the fire and carnage surrounding them. One of the dragons, a handsome drake with scales like midnight, soared too close to the Sunborn. As one, every spellcaster unleashed a bolt of force, forming a broadside so powerful as to cause the dragon to peel off, shrieking in displeasure. “There!” she called. “Applebloom’s there!”

The Irregulars thundered down the hill, the rest of the army behind them as they began their final approach to one of the most dangerous groups of ponies in existence. Sweetie Belle shook blood off of her daggers, holding them in front of her. The wall of obdurate gold in front of them seemed unforgiving, unyielding. The shields towered above her as she charged across the flatlands, and gleamed forebodingly in the light of dragonfire. But she saw several of the monstrosities Celestia had created lying still on the ground. They could be beaten. They weren’t gods, they were just soldiers. And as the Irregulars slammed into the wall of armor presented to them, Sweetie Belle vaulting over the line with a dagger in each hoof, discovered one more truth about them.

Just like regular soldiers, they could bleed.


Twilight blinked away from Celestia’s counterstrike quickly, her mind moving faster than it ever had before. She swooped in close, her smoky black wings buffeting her teacher’s fiery white as she discharged a bolt of Breaking Magic directly into Celestia’s face. The Alicorn grunted in displeasure, catching Twilight high in the jaw with one hoof, sending her spiraling downward. Celestia followed her, pressing close as she did so, but before she could finalize her assault another of the dragons caught her in the side, sending her wide of her target.

The young unicorn used the distraction to recover, pumping her wings wildly as she struggled to regain altitude. She had refused to stay on the ground when she had arrived, forcing Celestia to be extremely careful with her attacks. Anything too powerful and she risked knocking Twilight unconscious. At this height, a fall would be fatal. And the dragons would ensure that she would not catch her student in time to clear the battlefield with her.

With a scream that was equal parts effort and rage, Twilight accessed one of the spells in the crystal, causing the air around Celestia to become extremely dense. The Alicorn, scrambling to regain altitude, plummeted in much the same manner as her student had before she realized what had happened. Celestia’s horn glowed, and the air around her superheated, rising once more and behaving as air ought to. She whirled just in time to catch a dragon that had been plummeting to strike her like a bird of prey, a needle-thin beam of energy emanating from her horn, striating the air as it played across the hide of the dragon. Twilight watched in horror as lines of dark, almost black blood began to appear. The dragon stopped pumping its wings, separating into several pieces before hitting the ground below with terrible violence.

Spike burst out of a nearby column of smoke, and managed to catch Celestia by surprise, biting and raking at her as they both plummeted towards the ground. With a neat kick, he propelled Celestia into the ground just as he pulled up, his mouth steaming slightly as he tasted the blood of a goddess for the first time in his life. The two remaining dragons inhaled at the same time, bathing the ground around Celestia with flame so hot the rock beneath the incinerated plant matter began to melt and warp. Twilight added her own silver fire to the mix, easily as hot as the fire of the drakes. Spike kept up the pressure as well, his characteristic greenish flame rippling through the inferno. For nearly a minute the stream of fire continued without end, blasting a crater meters thick into the stone and causing anypony who was even close to burst into flame. When the fire abated, Twilight looked through the smoke, and was astonished to see that her onetime teacher was not only back on her hooves, but she was only slightly singed.

Her voice carried like a shout, but was in the same calm tones Twilight had always heard her use. “I am She Who Moves The Sun, The Glorious Noon. Fire is my realm. You’ll have to do a lot better than spellfire and dragonflame to hurt me.”

With that, she pumped her wings once, soaring into the air. Her mane, a deep red, began to turn gold. “The sun rises soon, and when it does it will all be over, Twilight.” One of the dragons dove on her, but her horn flashed, and with a bright flash and a sound like thunder, it simply vanished, leaving behind the smell of burnt flesh and some eye-stinging smoke.

“Not even close, Celestia. The Elements have all been Broken, we’re routing your army, and it’s only a matter of time before my friends help me bring you to your knees. And this time, it’ll be you kneeling before me.” Twilight replied.

“We’ll see.”

The two blurred together, spells flashing thick and fast between them as they dove, twisted, and blinked in and out of existence, each looking for the upper hoof. Twilight fought with ferocity and skill, her spells ingenious and applied with devastating effect. Had anypony else challenged her in such a manner, they would have been killed within seconds.

But Celestia was stronger, faster, tougher, and had millennia of experience on her side. Twilight’s blows landed like feathers, her shields tore like tissue paper, and each maneuver was like watching her swim through molasses to the goddess. Had Celestia been trying to kill her student, it would have only taken a minor application of will.

Twilight felt strange. Her vision began to flicker and flash, showing her two or three possibilities at once. She felt as if she was made of quicksilver, and the blows Celestia landed on her, while painful, were not as bad as they should have been. Twilight began to fight through the pain, her vision crystalizing as her coat crackled with electricity and her horn began to work faster than it ever had before. Whatever was happening, Twilight Sparkle had begun to hold her own.

And then Celestia stopped toying with her.

It was a combination of three blows. One hit Twilight squarely in the front, propelling her towards the ground below. The dragons dove towards Celestia as a pair as the second blow landed, coming from behind Twilight, cushioning her fall even as it severed her wings. And the third and final blow knocked her off of her hooves entirely, sending Twilight Sparkle’s barely conscious body tumbling through the air before she crumpled in a heap.

Another spell seized Spike and his accomplice, driving them viciously into the ground and breaking the neck of the smaller, female dragon as Celestia sped down into the crater Twilight occupied, groaning as she attempted to reassert herself. The unicorn blinked her eyes blearily, trying to stop her vision from spinning as her teacher calmly walked closer and closer. Her horn sparked once, twice, and with a supreme effort of will, Twilight managed to do something she had never done before.
An arcane construct appeared before her, shimmering silver in the darkness. It was a simple crescent, curved like the blade of a scimitar, with two delicate flanges protruding from the rear. Twilight swung it wildly, and Celestia backed up just in the nick of time. The magical blade hissed as it swung through the air, and embedded itself in the nearby bedrock as easily as it might have cut through soft cheese. Celestia eyed the implement warily as Twilight regained her hooves once more.

“I may not be able to fly anymore, but I can guarantee that if you get close enough to hit me with a stunner spell, I’ll be able to take your head off with this.” Twilight said, holding it in front of her in a classic “guard” position. The crystal in her chestplate flickered as she drew more strength from it. Her limbs stopped shaking, her head stopped pounding, and the unicorn stood up just a bit straighter.

Celestia sighed, her horn lighting as well. “I suppose you leave me no choice, Twilight. I have tried to do this without hurting you, but you have proven time and again to be resistant to what mercy I offer you.” With a flash, Celestia’s own blade appeared. It was slimmer and longer than Twilight’s, more of a bastard sword to her cutlass. “I will try and leave you with as few personal injuries as possible. I’m going to have you eventually; I may as well keep you in some comfort.”

“Bitch.” Twilight spat. “Come and get me.”

The two charged at one another, and the sound of thunder filled the battlefield as their magical blades rang and crashed, dueling between their two armies.


Sweetie Belle realized why the Sunborn were so difficult to fight. It wasn’t that they were any more difficult to hit than any well-trained soldier, or that they possessed mystical powers. The fact of the matter was that they were big, strong, faster than was readily apparent, and tough. They could take two or three hits that would normally kill a pony, so long as it wasn’t something along the lines of severing their heads entirely. Sweetie ducked under the swing of one of the armored titans, feeling the breeze his shield made as it passed over her. She left one knife in him, limiting his movement, and the other felt its way into his carotid artery. Blood speckled her coat, but the giant still refused to go down.

Their blows felt like being hit with a length of granite, and their eyes were frightening to say the least. Pure gold through and through, Sweetie Belle got the feeling that they were far from blind. In fact, she was sure that their vision had been enhanced. She danced around the frenzied swings of that same pony, drawing a third knife as she moved in close for the kill. The last knife was rammed into his eye, and the gold-plated juggernaut finally dropped as she pulled the previous two from his corpse. She had started off the fight with six daggers including her jambiyah, but had lost two since the Irregulars had charged this position. She supposed she should be grateful that her sister and the other Wielders were keeping the Regulars corralled along with the Guard and Reservists. There was quite enough to be done with the Sunborn.

Scootaloo gave a shout of pain and rage nearby as one of Celestia’s chosen managed to graze her flank with a spear. A hoof upside his head sent the offender staggering, and an uppercut propelled by her wings collapsed his jaw entirely, blood tainting the pristine gold of his eyes as he crumpled. Scootaloo turned to face Sweetie Belle, her eyes widening as she indicated somepony standing right behind her.

Sweetie Belle hit the dirt, feeling the breeze from a mace or hammer swinging through where her head had once been. She rolled away as the implement swung downwards, leaving a crater in the dirt an inch thick. A swift kick to the underside of her assailant bought her enough breathing room to unsheathe a dagger and stagger to her hooves.

Scootaloo vaulted her, hooves extended as she soared through the air, catching the pony directly in the helm and causing it to stagger back . With a growl, the bulky mare hefted her mace again, swinging it in a circle above her head as she charged Scootaloo. The orange Pegasus rolled to the side instinctively as Sweetie Belle threw the dagger, which twirled lazily through the air exactly once before entering the eyeslit of the Sunborn’s helm point-first.

A chill ran through Sweetie Belle as she realized what it was she might have done. “Scootaloo!” she called. “Take her helm off Check!”

Scootaloo paled when she realized what it was that they might have done, and scrambled to remove the pony’s helm, hooves scrabbling at the catches. One strap came off, then the other, as Sweetie Belle scrambled over. A sort of hollow had been formed in the fighting around them, but it wouldn’t last long, so they needed to hurry. If they had killed her…

“Oh, thank Luna. It’s not Applebloom, Sweetie Belle. It’s a unicorn.” Scootaloo said, her voice heavy with relief.

Sweetie Belle sighed, her shoulders slumping. Scootaloo looked up, her eyes widening once again. “Sweetie Belle!”

A terrific weight landed in between Sweetie’s shoulder blades, driving her to the ground and sending the dagger, freshly drawn from the eye of the Sunborn, flying from her hoof. Scootaloo’s hoof flashed out, and Sweetie Belle felt the weight disappear from her shoulders. Staggering drunkenly, she managed to rise just long enough to get into a defensive position before a blur of gold was right on top of her, knocking her sideways again. Scootaloo drove the Sunborn back in a flurry of blows, each one striking at an unarmored spot on its body.

Sweetie Belle drew her last dagger, keeping the jambiyah in reserve. The Pegasus and Sunborn broke apart, and Sweetie Belle was finally able to get a look at the pony that had attacked them.

The view lasted only a moment, though, as Applebloom picked up a fallen spear and readied herself for combat.

“Bloom!” Sweetie Belle cried. “Stop! We don’t want to hurt you!”

Applebloom’s golden gaze fell upon the unicorn, and a bloodthirsty smile spread across her face. “Guess that makes my job easier, then.” she said calmly, and without further hesitation, she charged her best friend.


Twilight’s blade flashed once, twice, forcing Celestia to give ground. She fought ferociously, not giving an inch as she hammered at Celestia’s defenses again and again, sometimes even driving her teacher to her knees. She had managed to summon a shield as well, and as Celestia’s counterattack landed, she swung it into place. Sparks flew in all colors of the rainbow as the unyielding power of that barrier managed to turn Celestia’s magical blade away from her. Twilight struck inward, swinging the sword from her shield side in a massive horizontal swipe that almost managed to open a line on her teacher’s chest. With a flick, the point of the crescent buzzed forward in a thrust that aimed straight for Celestia’s heart.

The golden blade managed to just barely turn her thrust, and Celestia countered with a series of quick jabs that served to give Twilight cause to begin circling her teacher in order to avoid giving her the opening she needed. A bolt of lightning crackled from Celestia’s horn, throwing up dust and debris in front of Twilight. The unicorn huddled behind her shield, turning it up to catch the inevitable downward swing. The blow landed, driving Twilight down to the ground as Celestia rained down blow after blow on Twilight’s rapidly weakening defenses.

Twilight’s desperate swing missed Celestia by the smallest of margins, but the ensuing pause was enough to give Twilight the opening she needed to get back up. Rushing forward with her shield in front, Twilight managed to slam the barrier into Celestia just as her next swing came forward. Celestia backpedaled, almost stumbling, before taking to the air. The advantage it gave her in height soon became apparent.

Celestia stabbed down with her blade, hoping to lame Twilight enough to finish the fight. The blade was barely turned by Twilight’s own magical weapon, and her retaliatory swing fell far short. Celestia swung again, the blow landing squarely on Twilight’s shield. The barrier shimmered weakly, Twilight’s renewed strength fading fast. She could hear her friends screaming her name as they charged away from the perimeter they were enforcing, hoping to rescue her, but it was too little, too late. The next blow caused the shield to flicker, and the next caused it to wink out for a full second. Twilight managed to reestablish it, but Celestia’s final blow was as much mental as physical. The unicorn sank to her knees for a third time, utterly beaten.

“Twilight Sparkle. Yield.” Celestia said, her blade leveled at the unicorn’s throat.

Spike hit her with the wrath of a thousand suns.

The dragon was a blur of snarling teeth and flashing claws, fire dribbling from his jaws as he buffeted Celestia with his wings, slashed at her with his claws, and spat an inferno that burned a brilliant, emerald green. His first blow drove her into the ground, his second broke an upturned foreleg, and his third landed squarely across her ribs, causing the monarch to scream in pain.

Spike ignored the spells bouncing off of his hide, or in some cases drilling into him, tearing at Celestia with his teeth, growling and snarling all the while. Celestia’s armor was mangled, her calm shattered as she fought to get clear of Spike’s unbridled fury, causing him to swell in size alarmingly. A bolt of molten metal caught him in one eye, and Spike’s screech of pain echoed throughout the battlefield, louder than the rest of the combatants combined. The fresh hole, weeping smoke, served only to enrage Spike further.

Celestia’s next attack caught him in the throat, cutting his screech short. Spike’s lifeblood spilled into the hard ground, and he retreated, standing over Twilight protectively. The unicorn could only watch in horror as Celestia rose into the air, and her horn sparked with magic. Spike’s mighty legs trembled with effort, and as he tried to roar his defiance one more time, his blood, hotter than boiling water, spattered Twilight, soaking her in gore.

And then, Celestia’s last blow pierced his chest, and Spike collapsed.

His eye, fluttering shut, fixed on Twilight one last time, blood spilling from his body in earnest now. Twilight’s eyes welled up with tears as a great calm settled on the dragon, and the green windows to Spike’s soul closed for the final time. And Twilight lay on the scorched earth, covered in the life of her best and first friend, and wept.

PreviousChapters Next