• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,013 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,013

PreviousChapters Next
Trading Pieces

Sweetie Belle awoke to the sound of a opening door. It was the door on the left, through which a bright white light was spilling, framing the silhouettes of several ponies entering the holding area where the three prisoners were kept. She blinked rapidly, squinting to see who it was entering the detention block. After a moment, her eyesight adjusted, and she was able to see the pink tunics of her captors, as well as the bright red mane of Autumn Sunset. She smiled brightly at her prisoners as guards filed into the room, some taking up positions near the door, others standing in front of the cells, and still others descending the stairs to the interrogation room. A unicorn with a coat of bone-white, and a mane of the same shade, stood next to her, his light blue eyes expressionless. The only thing of color on him was his Cutie Mark, a single drop of blood. A set of small black saddlebags with unusually shiny silver buckles were slung over his back.

"Good morning, everypony! Things are going to be a bit crowded today, we heard news of Ever Free movement in the city, so we pulled in a bit of extra muscle to keep you safe." Autumn Sunset said, looking at them each in turn. Sweetie Belle met her gaze levelly. "Mr. Light should remember my associate. For our new guests, allow me to introduce our Specialist."

He bowed briefly, and at a nod from Autumn Sunrise, descended the steps into the room below. The door slammed below, and the trio were left facing their captor. She inhaled deeply. "He scares me a bit, to be honest. Now, Night Light, you'll be going first today. You'll be coming up with the wing healed, but how long that will take and how painless it will be are entirely up to you."

"Sure thing, lassie. Mind kissing it to make it better?" he quipped, grinning through the bars. He was met with an icy glare from the mare in question. "Can't blame me for trying, then." he grumbled, settling back down.

"Miss Scootaloo, you're next up. We'll be trying a different approach today, seeing as trauma had less of an effect on you than it normally does on Pegasi. The Specialist is interested to see how you'll cope. I'd prepare myself, if I were you." She dodged a well-aimed gobbet of spit from the Pegasus in question, before turning to Sweetie Belle. "Ms. Belle, I am not eager to hurt you further. Not only that, but you seem to have had training resisting conventional interrogation tactics. You are the main reason the Specialist is here today. We'll be trying non-violent interrogation tactics on you. They have a very high success rate." She turned to the guards, flicking her head towards the cell.

Four stepped forward, filing into the cell and encircling Night Light before moving in. Three were swiftly dispatched before the fourth could move in and deliver a stunning blow to the back of the charcoal Pegasus's head. He fell to the floor with a grunt, as his collar was detached and the slender iron rods were affixed to his collar. A band of leather encircled both of his wings, being pulled tight against his skin, and putting pressure on his injured wing, causing him to hiss in pain before being led roughly downstairs.

What followed next was the most insidious part of the torture they were being out through. Prohibited from talking, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo sat quietly in their cells, their imaginations running wild with thoughts of what the white unicorn was going to do to them. Time turned in on itself, as Sweetie Belle found herself repeating the same motions she had moments before out of nervous habit, such as brushing her mane, limp and bedraggled, out of her face, or touching the inhibitor ring locked onto her horn. Three hours passed before the Pegasus was brought back up the stairs, barely under his own power, eyes unfocused and his cheeky grin absent from his face. He lay unresistingly as he was chained to the wall once more.

The Guards approached Scootaloo next, subduing her with some effort and dragging her literally kicking and screaming down the stairs of the interrogation room before shutting the door behind them, cutting off the sound of Sweetie Belle's friend entirely. A guard approached, tossing a loaf of bread into Night Light's cell. The Pegasus snatched it up and began devouring it mechanically, staring straight forward and mouthing something silently as he chewed. He shuddered once, twice, before subsiding, closing his eyes and staying completely still. He inhaled deeply, exhaling slowly as tension drained from his shoulders and back, seeming to melt away. When he opened his eyes again, they were calm and controlled, his eyes once more. Quietly, he spoke. "Open my eyes, and let me see."

"Quiet." came the command from the guard. The Pegasus smiled, flexing his newly healed wing before continuing to eat his meal with much greater gusto. Sweetie Belle watched, mystified, as this Pegasus finished his meal before curling in on himself and resting. He caught Sweetie Belle looking and gave her an encouraging wink as he slipped into a heavy sleep. Sweetie Belle was all alone, and though she tried to sleep, it eluded her. Idly, she began to multiply by two in her head. Two...four...eight...sixteen...

She had reached two to the power of twenty (One million, forty eight thousand, five hundred and seventy six), three to the power of fifteen (fourteen million, three hundred and forty eight thousand, nine hundred and seven. Or was it fourteen?), and was starting in on the fours when the door to the interrogation room opened, and Scootaloo was dragged up the stairs. Sweetie Belle felt a little thrill of panic thrum inside of her as she watched Scootaloo being chained to the bars of her cell, head hanging limply and rolling from side to side. The unicorn peered closely at her friend's dilated eyes and vacant expression, and saw something that she wished she had not. Track marks ran along the length of one of Scootaloo's wings, and Sweetie Belle recognized the vaguest scent of sickly sweet burning as that of opium.

The guards withdrew from her cell just as Sweetie pressed her face to the bars of Scootaloo's prison. "Scoots...what happened? What did they do?" The guards didn't seem too worried about her talking, so she pressed on. "Scootaloo, look at me. What happened?"

Scootaloo met her eyes blearily, trying to focus on her friend. She worked to form words, spoken so quietly even Sweetie Belle had trouble hearing her. "Wood and sand...crystal clear. Blood and stone and bone. Crystal." And that was all she would say, repeating those words over and over. A guard approached, sticking a needle covered in some black substance in between her shoulder blades. The Pegasus grunted in pain, tensing up, before she relaxed again. Sweetie Belle caught a muttered snippet of conversation about an overdose between the two guards outside of her cell, before they entered her own area of confinement, and approached her warily. Sweetie Belle waited until they were close, about to unhook her collar, before lunging forward, goring one Earth pony along his flank before being subdued. Though she paid for that with a few heavy cuffs along the head, she smiled grimly as the pink-garbed pony collapsed, his back leg no longer able to support his weight.

She was led down the stairs into the room below, stealing one last glance at the two Pegasi behind her before she was roughly spun around and marched towards the bone-white unicorn waiting for her downstairs.


Sweetie Belle was once more tied to the table, facing the ceiling as she was thoroughly inspected by the unicorn. He poked and prodded, scratching down notes as he examined the roots of her mane, the health of her coat, even the blood flow along her ears. He was fastidious in his attention to detail, looking over every inch of her with a clinical, detached air. Nowhere was spared, and nothing was sacred. Sweetie Belle shifted uncomfortably as he finished his inspection, scratching out a last few notes. He busied himself with a small tray lined with glass bottles and needles of varying lengths. She ventured a question, braving retaliation from Autumn Sunset and the guards in an effort to break the silence hanging heavy in the room.

"Why do they call you the Specialist?"

He was silent for a brief moment. Then he spoke, his voice surprisingly high and airy, possessing a shimmering quality that was quite unnerving. "Because I am very good at my job. I get results with relatively little fuss and almost no mess." he said without turning.

"What's that supposed to mean? You're an interrogator, aren't you?"

He turned, a strange jumble of glass and wire floating alongside him as he trotted towards her. "I prefer to think of myself as a teacher. One who enlightens." he said, hanging it on the light fixture above her, where it caught the glow, refracting the previously harsh white into soft blues and greens and pinks. Occasionally, a flash of white would pass through the gently spinning lights, or be caught by a clear piece of glass, causing distracting spots to play across Sweetie's vision. She spoke nervously, eyeing the unusual glass above her.

"What do you teach?"

She felt a prick underneath her jaw, and before she could react, two padded buffers were placed alongside her head, forcing her to look forward. She blinked, suddenly dizzy. His voice came as if from far away. "I teach ponies how to see new truths, Sweetie Belle. Ponies that spend too much time in the dark sometimes need to be brought back into the light. I'm here to help you find your way back into the light, even if we have to push a bit to get you there."

Sweetie Belle tried to close her eyes, in order to focus her thoughts, but before she could do much more than remind herself not to talk, her eyes slid back open involuntarily. She tried again, with similar results. The colored glass above her filled her vision, and she felt as if she was floating. Another pinprick, this time on the side of her neck, was dimly felt. She felt herself relax, and a gentle voice spoke into her ear.

"Now, I want you to look at the colors above you for a while. When you can focus on the colors without exclusion, we can take the next step. Are you ready?"

Sweetie Belle tried to wrap her mind around the words being spoken. She realized that she was supposed to be doing something, something important, but she couldn't remember what.

"Just focus on the colors, Sweetie Belle..."

That was it, then. She was supposed to be focusing on the colors. She was supposed to let the voice know if she was focusing on the colors. She tried to answer, and found that she was able to speak fairly easily. "Yes. I'm focusing on them."

"Good...now, what do those colors remind you of? The blue and pink and green? The white? The white's very bright, isn't it? Like..."

Sweetie Belle realized that she knew the answer. "The sun. The colors remind me of Celestia."

"That's right, they do. What do you think about Celestia? What do you like about her? What do you dislike?"

"She's the ruler of Equestria. She moves the sun. She's always been a good ruler, but..."

The voice spoke again. "But?"

"Too many secrets. Tricky, slippery secrets. That's not good."

"But you keep secrets too, don't you, Sweetie Belle? That's why those ponies in the pink tunics attacked you, isn't it? Because you wouldn't tell a secret? Don't you trust them?"

Sweetie Belle tried to shake her head, but couldn't. "I don't know...I don't think so. I don't trust them." She stared at the colors above her, a soft rainbow that gleamed and shimmered as she found herself transfixed by the spectrum shifting in her vision. They really did look an awful lot like Celestia...

"Do you think that ponies should lie to each other, Sweetie Belle?" the voice asked, shifting into something familiar as another prick was felt along her neck. Her vision blurred at the edges, and her head began swimming. The colors were shifting again, and Sweetie Belle could have sworn that eyes and wings and other features were emerging in the glowing rainbow above her.

"No, they shouldn't. Nopony."

"Not even Celestia?"

Sweetie Belle gazed into the face of her monarch, that radiant visage, and listened to the melodious voice in her ears. "No, Princess. Not even you."

"Alright then Sweetie Belle, I'll make you a deal. You tell me your secrets, and I'll tell you mine. Is that a deal?"

Sweetie Belle's drugged mind swam as she stared into the collection of glass above her. The guards surrounding the table looked on in awe as the Specialist did his work, herding Sweetie Belle's psyche into a corner with little more than his voice, some stained glass, and the bottles in his bag. The Specialist slid in one final needle, and the mare sighed. He pushed a little harder.

"Is that a deal, Sweetie? Don't you want the truth?"

When she spoke, her voice was heavy, her words slurred. "Ok. Deal."

The Specialist allowed himself a small smile, and began to speak. There was a dull rumble from outside the door. He paused, looking towards the wooden slab, enchanted to bar sound. He silently gestured for the two ponies outside the door to go outside and check on what had happened. The other guards, four in all, shifted uneasily. The two chosen, a pair of bulky Earth ponies, slipped outside, sealing the door behind them.

Another rumble was heard, and then another. Two of the unicorns lit their horns in readiness. There was a bang, and then shouting from outside. There was a brief scuffle, and then another thud from directly outside. A voice shouted, high pitched and fearful.

"Open up! Those EF bastards just tried to break in! We took care of them, but we have wounded!"

One of the guards looked to Autumn Sunrise questioningly. She shook her head, before raising her voice slightly, calling towards the door as the unicorn strapped to the table lay there oblivious to the events surrounding her. "Passcode!"

"Celestia's teats, open the door! There's blood everywhere! Passcode is 'barleycorn'!"

She nodded to the guard posted by the door, who pulled it open, moving swiftly out of the way in order to minimize exposure to hostile fire. One of the regular guards, a nondescript brown Earth pony, entered along with a companion, two limp, bloody bodies slung over his back, their pink tunics stained with viscera. He lay them gently on the floor. His companion, a Pegasus, did the same with his own burden, a limp unicorn mare. Gingerly, they sidled away from the bodies. The Specialist trotted forward along with the other unicorns, as the remaining Dawn operatives moved to secure the stairs along with the new arrivals.

He examined the bodies, which were unfamiliar to him. "Autumn, have you seen these ponies before?" He lifted the gums of one. "Are those...fangs?" He took a step back in alarm, but wasn't fast enough to prevent the unicorn mare from burying her fangs in his neck, her disguise falling away in a rush of green magic. The two guards did the same, turning on their companions and cutting them down where they stood as they caught a barrage of spells from one of the two remaining unicorns on their chitinous skins. His comrade dropped his disguise as well, and the unicorn dropped with a black horn buried to the hilt in his throat.

Autumn Sunrise moved quickly, seizing a knife from a nearby table and placing it to Sweetie Belle's throat as she stirred weakly, fighting off the effects of the drug coursing through her body. "Not another move! You're here for her, so don't move or I swear I'll cut her-"

The Pegasus's rant was cut off in mid sentence as Sweetie Belle, half-conscious, rammed a hoof into her stomach, causing her to drop the knife and begin to collapse. Sweetie caught it, twisting it up just in time for several inches of steel to embed itself in the throat of the Pegasus, spilling bright blood everywhere. The coppery tang of death filled the air, as both mares locked eyes, one watching as the spirit fled from another. At last, the spark had left the weakly struggling body of the Pegasus, and Sweetie Belle lay back, dropping the knife and feeling strong hooves supporting her as she was rushed from the room and up the stairs. She felt the pumping of her heart, faster from the exertion, delivering more of the chemical to her head as she fought for consciousness. A voice spoke by her ear.

"Sweetie Belle? It's me, Scootaloo. You're going to be fine, I promise. We're going to a safe place. You'll be fine. Go ahead and rest, you're ok. Just rest..."

Sweetie Belle allowed blackness to claim her, and the last thing she heard was the chiming of a massive clock, somewhere very nearby.

PreviousChapters Next