• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,014 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,014

PreviousChapters
The Greatest Game

The Library in the center of town burned with a steady light, spilling out of all of its windows into the streets below. Outside, the wedding celebrations of the Lady Twilight Sparkle, also known as Everstar, were still in full swing. Packs of ponies caroused wildly through the streets, drunk on peace as much as alcohol. In fact, many of the wandering groups were comprised of Loyalists and Rebels, both in uniform and laughing and cheering with one another. A crowd was gathering in the fields outside of town, and they were all waiting expectantly for the final show of the evening to begin.

With a thunderous roar and a dozen bursts of light, the first magical illuminations lit up the sky, exploding into reds and greens and blues as the crowd cheered in appreciation. Children flinched momentarily before letting forth squeals of delight, and the adults smiled and held one another close, in camaraderie or romance as the case may have been. The show continued, each spell booming, whistling, and popping as they lit up the sky for miles around.

Twilight Sparkle watched the show with interest from her window in the Library, Tarantella beside her. Both were back in their dresses, though soon enough they would be retiring to the wedding bower. Before that particular activity could take place, however, there remained one final duty that Twilight had to undertake. And she was not looking forward to it.

“Cara mia, it’s time.” Tarantella murmured. “Everypony is waiting downstairs.”

Twilight grumbled. “Let them wait. It’s my wedding night, for crying out loud.”

The Condottiero laughed, unfurling one wing and resting it over her. “Unfortunately, you must do your duty to your nation before you do your duties to your wife.” She leaned over, whispering gently into the unicorn’s ear. “And the sooner you do the one, the sooner you can get to the other.”

Twilight felt a chill go down her back. “Maybe I should go down there. It would be impolite to keep anypony waiting.”

Tara grinned. “That is the general idea, yes.”

Twilight took a deep breath in, steeling herself. “Wish me luck.” she said, trotting towards the stairs.

“All the luck in the world.” Tarantella replied, watching her go.

It was a short distance from Twilight’s stairs to the basement door, and from there she ducked into the dimly lit room where she had once stored all of her equipment, her favorite books, and anything else she deemed precious. Now, the space was spartan in nature, bare walls painted white with a table set up on the floor made of plain, unadorned wood. Around this table sat a few figures, lit by the candles placed on the walls. Quills and ink were provided at each place setting.

Celestia sat at the farthest end of the table, her crimson mane blowing fitfully in a non-existent breeze. Twilight was forcibly reminded of how much she resembled her Mother. She was conversing with her brother, who sat erect, and in his best dress uniform, his ocular piece polished and glowing with steady light and his mechanical parts buffed to a reflective sheen. Shining Armor’s face was pleasantly neutral, as he regarded his monarch resolutely.

Sitting at Celestia’s right side was Cadance, who was listening to the quiet conversation with great intent. Twilight had briefly considered remarking her face out of spite, but she had decided to let bygones be bygones. Besides, there would be a considerably larger fight this time around, with the power they both wielded.

Luna sat at Celestia’s left, her gaze stoic and far away. She had become more and more withdrawn as of late. In fact, she had simply vanished for more than a month after that fateful night. When she was asked where she had gone, she had simply responded “Home”. Twilight had decided that it would be pointless to question her further. When she was ready, Luna would share more of her journey. At her side stood Silent Shield, who was carefully watching Twilight as she walked down the stairs.

Though the Lunar Guard and Reserve were no longer under her control, Twilight had easily replenished her ranks. In fact, they stood larger and more numerous now than they had before the battle. Birchwood and several of the other smiths had worked on miniaturizing the “buckers”, making them more portable. Training ponies to use flash powder and buckers had considerably less needed investment per soldier. It took months to train a fighter for the Guards, or even the Regulars. Twilight could train a pony in weeks. That, along with the massive exodus of unicorns from Celestia’s lands, and the support of the Changelings, meant Twilight Sparkle’s new nation was the dominant military force in the region.

One of her officers stood by her side, in fact, clothed in a purple and gold uniform. Silver Lily, after escaping Canterlot and her hanging during the Windigo attack, had decided to hang up her spy’s cloak and step into the light as one of the heads of Twilight Sparkle’s new Air Corps, in Recon. She had considered offering the job to Tarantella, but it had felt wrong. Tara wasn’t military, she wasn’t that kind of mare. Which was probably a good thing, Twilight mused to herself. She was gone enough with the Condotteiri, recruiting more tribes.

“Milady, I have the papers you’ve requested.” Silver Lily said, coming to attention and extending a scroll to her. “They just arrived this afternoon, during the ceremony as a matter of fact. The Gryphons sent a representative and signed, so all that’s left is the three at the table.”

“Thank you, Silver Lily.” Twilight said, taking the document. “Please, close the trapdoor and station a guard at the top of the staircase. Nopony in or out until I give the word otherwise.”

Silver Lily didn’t say another word, merely snapping a crisp salute before flapping her wings and taking to the air, soaring over Twilight as she headed for the door. A moment later, there was a thud from above as the door closed, and Twilight was alone with the three Alicorns and their representatives. Without a word, she trotted forward, coming to her place at the table.

The conversation ceased as she surveyed the group. Taking another deep breath, she set the roll of parchment on the table. “Thank you all for coming. This is pretty much a formality at this point, but signing this will give us all the appearance of legitimacy and help to keep things calm as power transitions where it may. You’ll have to excuse my lack of a representative, but most of my officers and general staff have seen the document we’re about to sign, so there was really no need for one. Queen Feldspar sends her regrets that she cannot attend, but she is busy settling a new city near the Regia and was unable to pull herself away. And the Gryphons are busy consolidating their new lands as well.”

“It’s a shame they couldn’t come.” Luna said. “The Changelings would have a field day at this party, and the Gryphons are always good for a few laughs when intoxicated.”

“We seem to remember differently, sister.” Celestia said. “Last time an ambassador from the Oligarchy got drunk at a party he nearly managed to filet a buffalo chief before passing out in a bowl of noodles.”

Luna smirked. “Like I said, sister. Hilarious.”

“Moving on,” Twilight said lightly, unfurling the scroll. “This treaty defines the boundaries of the Ever Free’s territory, names it as a technical subordinate of Equestria in name if not in practice, and allows for free and easy transit between the two nations. Everypony saves face and goes home relatively happy.”

She looked at the assembled rulers, meeting their eyes in turn before continuing. “And while we’re here, we should probably iron a few things out between us.”

Celestia smiled. “Go ahead, Twilight. I’m all ears.”

Twilight turned to Cadance first. “Cadance, as far as I’m concerned, we’re even. You did wrong to me, and you paid the price for it. I’m not going to say I’ll forget the past four years happened, but I am saying that I’ll try to keep an open mind around you in the future, if you think that you can prove yourself worthy of that trust. I think we’ll all have enough on our plates already, so it would be nice if we didn’t have to worry about planting knives in one another’s’ backs.”

The rose colored Alicorn nodded slowly. “I think I can work with that. And I think I’ve probably learned my lesson about trying to take advantage of you, physically or otherwise.” Her hoof rose unconsciously to her cheek, where a scar had once been displayed. “And I’d like to thank you for agreeing to let me preside over the marriage. Tara’s family, and so are you. It was really important to me.”

Twilight nodded. “Well, it’s a step in the right direction in my book. And besides, it got you to Ponyville. You’ve been spending an awful lot of time up north.”

She turned to Luna next. “The reason I am here right now is to help you restore and maintain balance. I am more than happy to do so, and I look forward to doing so,” she said cheerfully. Leaning forward, she continued in the exact same tone of voice. “But if I catch wind of you manipulating me or the ones I love like you did with Tarantella, I’ll destroy you so quickly and completely that you’ll wake up in the Aether wondering what in Tartarus just happened to you and in more pain than you’ve felt in your life.”

Luna’s eyes widened, and she leaned forward. “I see you talked with Tarantella.”

Twilight shrugged. “You knew I’d find out sooner or later, and I know you were only doing what you had to in order to restore the Balance. This is the reason why I didn’t bother to push back until now. I wanted you here, in front of everypony, before we had this conversation. There are two of us to maintain the Balance until we can find the Shadow and eliminate it. Give me a reason to, and…I might decide to try doing it on my own.”

“Is that a threat?”

“No, Luna. A warning. There is no reason we cannot be friends and allies, and I don’t particularly mind if you do any political maneuvering of your own, but I want to be very clear that meddling with myself or the ones I care for will be an unacceptable breach of trust between us. That goes for everypony at this table.”

The dark Alicorn was silent, choosing only to nod in response. Twilight sighed. “I do not mean to cause you harm, Luna. But I must stress this. Do not attempt to use me. At the very least, ask me for assistance. After all, our goals are the same. We should be able to work with each other, not use one another. You might be surprised as to what I’d agree to, if you truly needed me.”

Luna held herself a bit straighter. “Very well, then. You have my word, Twilight Sparkle. I shall not manipulate you or those you care for, and if I need your assistance, I shall ask.”

Twilight then turned to Celestia. Meeting her eyes, she addressed the goddess, not as a mentor or an enemy, but as an equal. “Celestia, I’ve been putting this off ever since that last night in front of the Regia because I’ve been trying to find the words to describe the breach of trust that exists between us. Honestly, I hate the fact that you’re going to remain in power, that I need to work with you to stop the Shadow from taking over entirely, and that you’re basically going to suffer no consequences for you actions. Hay, in a hundred years most ponies will have forgotten about the horrors of this war.”

Twilight’s voice gained strength as she continued. “Which is for the best, I think. I want them to be happy and safe just like you wanted them to be happy and safe. I see now how you could think ignorance and mindless direction could keep them happy. It would, now that I think on it. But recently, I’ve had a change in thinking.”

Celestia quirked an eyebrow. “Oh?”

The unicorn nodded her head. “I couldn’t think of how to phrase it. I spent a full night trying to figure out how I would explain myself to you. And then it hit me. I knew how to describe how I felt to you, how to frame my thoughts in a way you could understand.” She placed her hooves on the table, drawing herself to her full height. “So, from me to you, I’d like to deliver one last report, in person. Think of it as me stepping forward, leaving your tutelage for good.”

Celestia smiled gently. “You’re graduating?”

“I am.” Twilight replied grimly. “Are you ready?”

Celestia said nothing, merely inclining her head in acquiescence.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Dear Princess Celestia. Over the past five years, I have spent a lot of time looking at the past. I’ve examined my mistakes and my successes, the years I spent in service to you and the years out on my own. I’ve remembered good times and bad times, the friends I’ve made and lost, all the sacrifices made by both sides. And until recently, I spent the majority of my time examining what had already happened. I firmly believed that by remembering my past, I would somehow be able to have those good times back.”

“But one snowy night, last winter, I died. My life was cut short, and I found myself talking to a pony I once thought I knew and loved. I talked with the Mother of everything, who told me that I still had work to do, and sent me back. I came back from the dead with a task, one that will take me many lifetimes to accomplish. And she made sure I would have all the time I needed. I was, for the first time, presented with an abundance of future. And then I realized that I had spent too much time looking at my past, and striving for something I would never have. With that in mind, I turned to the future.”

Twilight smiled. “My future. With my beautiful wife, and my friends, old and new. With strong ponies at my back and standing by my side. My future, the one where I help others strive for perfectly unattainable goals, helping them to stand and crawl and walk and run on their own. My future, and all the trials and tribulations and successes that would come with it. I stopped focusing on the happiness I had once possessed in the past, and focused on finding happiness in the future.”

“I learned that it’s important to learn from your past, but you cannot attempt to live there. You need to enjoy the now, and look to the future. You can’t let your past mistakes define you as a pony, and I can’t afford to live in the past any more than I can afford to abandon those who need me. This is why the next time I “die”, I’ll be shedding my name and taking up a new one. Some ponies call me by it already, which will certainly help. I can’t afford to live in the past any longer, and neither can you. Those you considered enemies, your sister and brother, are your allies and mine now. No longer can we work in opposition to one another. It’s time to lay the past to the side, and move forward together.”

Twilight’s smile turned sad. “For the final time, your student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Celestia cocked her head quizzically. “I get the feeling you weren’t just talking about yourself, Twilight.”

The unicorn nodded. “I told you once that I would have gone along with your plans, had you asked. I meant it, too. I loved you, Celestia, and part of me still wished that things might have turned out differently.”

The Alicorn frowned. “And now you hate me?”

Twilight shook her head. “No. I have no love for you, Celestia. But I…respect you, I think would be the best way of putting it. I’ve seen what you’re capable of, and it frightens me how far you are willing to go to achieve what you believe to be a worthwhile goal. And I believe your intentions are noble, but you know what they say about good intentions. If I can’t make you pay for what you’ve done in the past, then I’m going to make sure you don’t get the opportunity to try again in the future. And this time, I’ll be ready and in a position to stop you if you do.”

Celestia’s gaze softened as she looked at Twilight. “You really have come into your own, Twilight. I’m proud of you, in a way.”

It was the unicorn’s turn to be perplexed. “How so?”

“Think of what you accomplished.” Celestia said. “After you left Equestria, you did more in four years than ten ponies could in ten years. You organized a small nation, trained an army, pushed yourself to your limits every day, and made difficult decisions while recognizing your strengths and weaknesses, all for a cause you believed in. I’ve spoken to some of the Lunar Guard. You trained with them after rising through the ranks. You suffered with your followers through your first winter together, turned a potential enemy into an ally with the Changelings, and remained a strong leader while trying to alert ponies to the truth for four long years. And it paid off.”

“What are you getting at?” Twilight asked.

“Do you remember when I brought you back under the power of the Elements? That conversation we had in your mind?” Celestia asked curiously.

“Vaguely.” Twilight replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Twilight, I meant it when I said that I wished you could have been born as the Alicorn. Somepony like you is born once in a very great while. You are everything I hoped you would have been in a ruler. You’re kind, loyal to your subjects, have a knack for turning handicaps into assets, and devastatingly intelligent. But most importantly, though you have changed some in bearing and mannerisms, you are still you, Twilight. And I find that to be admirable.”

Twilight’s brow furrowed. “I don’t get it.”

“I’m trying to tell you that as far as I’m concerned, my goals have been met. I didn’t realize it at the time, but when you sat Discord and myself down and convinced us to work in tandem, if not directly with one another, you took your rightful place as a champion of Thought. And you did it on your own terms.”

Celestia smiled. “I’m telling you that you have nothing more to fear from me, Twilight. Regardless of whether or not you believe it, I will not work against you. In fact, I look forward to working with you. Not as a monarch, or a teacher, but as an equal. You may not be an Alicorn, or a Princess, but in my mind you stand just as tall.”

Twilight tried to digest that information. It almost sounded like Celestia was trying to extend an olive branch and a compliment at the same time. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that. After years of looking at Celestia as an enemy, she had been willing to try and start again. But to hear her say that she actually regarded Twilight as a friend already, and to mean that sincerely, sounded strange to her. Five years ago, she would have leapt at the chance. Five years ago, she would have accepted without a second thought in this position. But she was five years older and wiser, and so she looked at this gift with careful eyes.

Twilight held herself erect. “Thank you, Celestia. It means a great deal to me that you are willing to abandon your plans for a utopia. I truly believe that the two-state solution we have set into place will work to the benefit of all.”

Celestia’s smile quirked into a grin. “Still canny, I see. I suppose I can’t blame you for not trusting me, Twilight. I wouldn’t in your position. I’ll just have to prove to you that I intend to work with you in good faith.”

“Speaking of good faith,” Silent Shield cut in, “I believe we should be signing this treaty into effect.”

“Agreed.” Shining Armor replied. “Technically, the war isn’t over until the required signatures are acquired. And I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m a bit nervous with troops mingling in the middle of a cease fire.”

Twilight nodded, unfurling the scroll. It was a single sheet of paper, containing only a few paragraphs. Other treaties would be signed later, but for now, this was all that was required. The ink was still crisp and black on the signatures, though the letters had settled along the pre-written paragraphs at the top. These few lines were the work of a full month of debate between the two sides, haggling for pieces of land and acquisitions and reparations and so forth before Pinkie Pie had taken a look at the massive document, pages long, and suggested that all that was required was a basic understanding of where things would sit. Everypony should be able to read it, she had claimed. Later that day, she had produced an “abridged” version of the treaty. It was, everypony agreed, what really was needed.

The words, in Twilight’s finest calligraphy, read as such.

“ The Monarch Celestia, benevolent and true to her subjects, has entered into this compact with the Lady Everstar. She of the undying flame, to promote Order and Peace in the lawless region known as the Everfree Forest.

It is ordained that these lands, from the cities of Trottingham and Hoofington in the East, bounded by the southernmost reaches of Ponyville in the North and the lands of Los Pegasus in the South, from thenceforth into the sea to the West, shall be apportioned under the Lady Everstar, and she shall be sovereign over them and rule them how she sees fit.

It is ordained that she shall receive her lands and titles by the will of Celestia, and make them habitable for her subjects so they may thrive. As compensation for her labors, the Lady Everstar shall be appointed with wealth and goods with which to support her subjects.

It is ordained that the vassals of the Princess Celestia shall be withdrawn from the lands of Lady Everstar, and cease conflict with her subjects. So too shall they be withdrawn from the lands of the Gryphonian Oligarchy.

It is ordained that those who wish to reside within the demesne of the Lady Everstar shall not be denied entrance to her lands, provided they are subject to her laws and customs, as determined by her and her appointed officials.

It is ordained on this, the Spring Equinox of the year One of the Age of Evening, that the Unicorn Twilight Sparkle, now known as Everstar, Ruler of Magic and the Crystal Flame, Champion of Thought, has founded the Evening Kingdom. Long live her reign.

Signed Twenty March, Year One A.E.”

It was impressively simple. The Gryphons would be signing another treaty with Equestria in a few short weeks, ceding the southern deserts to them under the condition that no ponies be evicted from their settlements. No problem was anticipated there, as there were vast expanses of space available for the Gryphons to settle and hunt in. It was a good thing, too. Luna had promised to make a visit to the capital, Ashtar Sharestan, and begin the process of undoing the spell on those ten thousand warriors who lay in vaults, turned to crystal. It would be a long process, but well worth it. In response, the Gryphons had sent their diplomat, the one Twilight knew as Vagadar. His name was signed in bold, confident strokes below the text.

Vagadar az Durmasagarti, Mouthpiece of the Five Kings, Protector of Peace.

Twilight had already signed another treaty with the Changelings as well. They had several settlements already planned, mostly underground, where they were suited to living. It had taken some doing, getting the new arrivals from Canterlot to accept living with the shapeshifters, but steps forward were being taken. Their Queen’s name gleamed underneath, the black ink somehow managing to gleam teal in the candlelight.

Queen Feldspar of the Changelings, Ruler of the Hives and Protector of the Ancestry.

“The specifics can be dealt with later.” Twilight said. “But right now, we need to get this signed. It’s time for peace. We’re long overdue.”

“Agreed.” Cadance said, pulling the treaty towards her. Dipping her quill delicately in the inkpot next to her, she signed her name in flowing, flowery script.

Princess Mi Amore di Cadenza Allegretta, Radiant Dawn, Guardian of the Heart, ruler of the Northern Mountains.

Luna eyed the document critically as she pulled it towards her. “You have my support, Twilight. Should you need me, call on me.”

“It sounds like you’re leaving.” Twilight joked.

Luna nodded her head. “I go to found my own lands, far away from Equestria. After tonight, I shall depart for at least a year. My followers will go with me as well.” She signed her own name in graceful, smooth characters.

Princess Luna Aetheria ex Selena, Majestic Night, Mistress of Dreams, Keeper of the Moon.

“Where are you going to go?” Twilight asked.

Luna smiled. “To find the answer, simply go outside and look to the east. You’ll see it with little trouble, especially on a clear night like tonight.”

With a jolt, Twilight realized what she was talking about. “Do you mean to say…are you going back to the moon?”

Luna nodded. “There are some, like me, who have tired of Equestria. They feel lost, like they have no place here or in the new nation you are forming. There is a city for them, on the moon. I can protect them with my magic, and keep them there until they wish to return.”

“I’ve spoken to Luna about it, and we both agree it’s for the best.” Celestia said, pulling the paper towards herself. “The fact is, there will always be those who can’t help themselves, nor do they want to be helped. By creating a place where they can go to work through their problems, away from the world, they can bring themselves to make the choices they need to make. That place is neither under your control nor mine. Luna has agreed to create a place for those who are lost.”

Twilight sighed. “Clearly you’ve all discussed this already.”

“This is the first time I’ve heard about it.” Cadance said, looking at the elder Alicorns. “And I’m beginning to see what Twilight is talking about. Before making decisions like this, you should at least let us know.”

“Agreed.” Celestia said. “It was poor judgment on our part, but we both agree that it needed to be done.” She looked at Twilight. “Can we count on your support, Twilight?”

The unicorn made a snap decision. “Fine. But I’ll need the particulars ,and soon. I want to know how many are going, the logistics, how to get to the moon, all of that.”

Luna nodded. “You shall have them tomorrow morning.”

“Maybe not tomorrow morning, Aunt Luna.” Cadance replied. “It is Twilight’s wedding night, after all. I imagine she’ll be sleeping in tomorrow.”

The Alicorn’s eyes widened, and Twilight could have sworn she saw a blush creep across her face. “My apologies. A week, then.”

Twilight looked at her, confused. “I don’t think I’ll need a week to recover.”

“If you don’t you aren’t treating her right, Twilight.” Celestia said, smirking as she signed the treaty. Her signature was familiar to Twilight, all bold curves and elegant lines.

Princess Celestia Aetheria ex Equestria, Glorious Noon, Brilliant Sun, Ruler of Equestria.

Twilight groaned, resting her face in her hooves as the parchment was slid across the table to her. “You all are going to be teasing me about this for years, aren’t you?”

“Decades, my dear.” Celestia said. “Get used to it, you’re immortal now. And I wouldn’t be ashamed, were I you. Truth be told, Tarantella is a very pretty mare. And spirited, too. A good match for you.”

The three Alicorns laughed as Twilight shook her head, picking up her quill and staring at the parchment. The nib hovered above the inkwell as Twilight stared at the line where her name would go. She gulped. That line was the start to a new life. That line would give her a kingdom of her own, responsibilities and titles and privileges she had only ever dreamed about. Once her name was on that line, her titles alongside, she would be a ruler just like Celestia and Luna and Cadance.

“Twilight.” She looked up. It was Shining Armor. He looked at her, his expression calm. His voice was steady and soothing, like it had been when she was young. “You’re ready.”

“Indeed you are, Lady Twilight.” Silent Shield rumbled. “More than ready.”

Luna smiled proudly. “We all agree.”

Cadance nodded. “You’ll be a good ruler. I can tell.”

“I’m proud of you, Twilight.” Celestia said. “It’s time.”

The quill dipped into the ink. She wiped away a spare drop, and before she could stop herself, she signed her name in precise, tight strokes, well-practiced over long years of writing.

Lady Everstar ex Arborea, Ascendant Evening, Bearer of the Crystal Flame, ruler of the Evening Kingdom.

She rolled up the parchment with a smile, turning from the table. “If you’ll excuse me, I have to go and comfort my bride.” She trotted up the stairs, knocking twice on the door. “Silver Lily, open up!”

Turning back, she gazed at each member sitting at the table. “We’ll talk more soon. For now, I bid you all a good evening.” The door opened, and she stepped through, handing the scroll to her aide. “Get that copied and sent to the necessary parties. And let everypony outside know. The war’s over.”

Twilight grinned as she saw Tarantella descending the staircase. “Excuse me, Commander.” A moment later, Twilight met her bride at the bottom of the stairs. Together, they disappeared in a flash of light.

The three Alicorns made it out of the basement just in time to see the newlyweds disappear.

“Does anypony know where they went?” Luna asked.

Celestia shook her head. “I don’t, and I don’t believe she told anypony. Which is alright by me. She hasn’t had a moment to herself in five years, after all.”

Cadance smiled to herself. She knew exactly where they had gone. There was no need to share the information, though. She agreed with Celestia. Those two had earned some privacy, at the very least.


“That was not so bad, was it?” Tarantella asked, shedding her gown and hanging it over a nearby tree branch. She had dispatched a group of Condottieri the previous week to drop supplies in this area, and they were both grateful for them. A small fire burned in a freshly dug firepit in the middle of the clearing.

“No, I suppose it wasn’t.” Twilight replied, creating a small lean-to out of branches cut from nearby trees. With a minor effort of will, she gathered pine needles, creating a fragrant bed of them underneath the makeshift shelter. “But I can’t help but think that they will try something in the future.”

The Pegasus shrugged, looking out over the lake. “So you will be ready for them. But I think they are sincere.” She stretched her wings, letting the cool mountain air play over her pinion feathers. “And I have faith in you, my love. Else we wouldn’t be here now.”

Twilight grinned, shucking her clothing as she joined Tarantella by the shores of the lake. They both stared across the lake, holding hooves as they took in the view of the crumbling manor in the distance. A gentle breeze caressed them both as they felt the nearness of each other, two burning beacons in the darkest night. The stars twinkled above, the only witnesses to this area’s visitors. It was quiet, and serene, and a bit lonely.

“I haven’t seen my home in a very long time.” Tarantella said. “It’s beautiful.”

Twilight swallowed nervously. She wasn’t sure why, she’d done this sort of thing a thousand times before. “Yes,” she managed to get out. “Beautiful.”

And she was. The firelight caught Tara’s hair, making it shimmer like silver and gold. Each individual strand on her coat seemed to Twilight to be the softest and most beautiful thing she had ever seen, and her scent was that of swift water and autumn leaves. She turned to face her, and Twilight drank in her lover’s face, every bit of it. Her eyes, the amber of a hawk’s, her strong features and wiry figure somehow irresistibly feminine.

Twilight felt a flutter in her stomach. She was married to this mare. To the most wonderful, kindhearted and strong and loving pony she had ever met. Tonight she had been given a kingdom and a wife. And she knew that she held Tarantella much higher than any kingdom. How could it have been any other way?

“Twilight…” Tarantella breathed out.

As one, they sank down onto the banks of that lake under the spring sky. Though there were trials ahead, challenges that would need surmounting not just in the way of a kingdom but in the way of friends, and family, and goddesses, Twilight was absolutely sure, in that moment, that everything was going to be alright. Better than alright. It was going to be perfect.

And as it turned out, she was right. There, under that gentle sky, for once in Twilight’s life, everything was perfect.

Fin

Author's Note:

Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.

Be well.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 168 )

Yesss, this of all chapters was the one I waited for the most. Thank you very much!

You keep using the word 'Complete'.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

And I love it.

And the second part of the journey comes to a close. My only gripe is that for all the attention focused around Sweetie she ultimately died alone with both her crusaders. Kind of a let down when she's the focus of the summary. But I suppose when you say all the pieces are expendable I shouldn't expect anything less.
I do hope you continue with the third part relatively soon. Pretty please?:unsuresweetie:

An amazing end to an amazing story. I cannot say anything more; my words cannot do this epic any justice.

Beautiful, things have wrapped up nicely, the war is over and twilight has finally gained her independence.

Still kind of weird how sweetie seemed to be the focus of the story then she dies and then its all on twilight although the story seemed to be gravitating towards twilight taking a larger role in everything leading up to sweeties end. (maybe a oneshot with them all making amends and climbing that mountain together would be nice?)

So is the story really finished now? the second part at least. (Not that i am complaining)

And thus, the end of the Evening Rebellion had cleaved Equestria in two. The world fell into a relative peace, but in the following days they would soon realize what kinds of challenges the new age would bring.

This seemed like a pretty perfect ending.

But I have to ask the question; sequel?

I was honestly preparing to bitch about Celestia being alive still....but y u make me start to trust/like her?!


In all seriousness, this was a beutiful ending, and one that satisfies me greatly. It's AMAZING how far we have come in 60 chapters, and I must say Ive enjoyed this alot more then I shuld have...even through the sadder times.

This story made me feel sad, angry, excited and I just felt badass through all of the fights. This was amazing and I thank you one more time for this amazing story.

Two state solution? Peace? :rainbowhuh:

3070316


Counting the moon I think there is like four states....


As far as peace I dont think anyone is really counting on any one of the Alicorns not to try something slick :ajbemused:

I .. want... vote up.. but... Already have...

3070287

You forgive too easy. She didn´t even apologize for all the damaged caused because, as Twilight phrased it, in a century or less, none except them will remember what truly happened.
Despite the new ending is far better than the previous one, Shining Armor is still a piece of furniture with a mouth. I was expecting him to finally have his long awaited conversation with Twilight.

So I finished this story earlier today wondering "How in the actual fuck is this not done yet? Where could he possibly be going?" Then this happened.

I started the first story in this series two days ago, and here I am, with it completed and so very very thankful I could hit next till this point. Not one single clliffhanger was experienced by me. I stayed up for 47 Hours to read this story, and I'm amazed how far you can get on Monster's and sheer force of will.

Bravo. I'll telling everyone I know of this story.

3070334
Yeah, the moment I heard them mention two state solution I knew it's going to get crazy in the sequel. Of course, following on from Lines and Webs to this if there is a long lasting peace we would probably feel cheated. :rainbowlaugh:

It's more a case of doesn't a two state solution remind you of somewhere in the real world? It makes this sound ominous:

Twilight held herself erect. “Thank you, Celestia. It means a great deal to me that you are willing to abandon your plans for a utopia. I truly believe that the two-state solution we have set into place will work to the benefit of all.”

Honestly, I found it ludicrous that she was able to forgive Celestia at all. Does the name Spike mean anything to anyone? Not a single mention of him? It feels like he's been forgotten, and here he is with a moustache. Sigh. :moustache:

3070367
Oh no, trust me. He hasn't been forgotten. Trust me. Four hundred years down the line, and he won't be forgotten.:twilightsmile:

3070338
I disagree. As much as I would have liked to see Celestia get her face kicked in, you have to realize tha the story isnt over yet. If Celestia was dead and shit was brought to its knees for twilight to reshape on her own, what sort of interesting story plot would that make for the next installment? This ending leaves a whole world of possibilitys for whats to come. Its like finishing the second book of the hunger games and being disapointed that the entire capitol isnt dead yet. You have to leave room for the finale:eeyup:

I have complied my thoughts on the story here for anyone interested in reading a brief review of it.

It.. It's over?

Wha- HOW- ???

I'm confused. On one hoof, I congratulate you on making this amazing fic, one that shall become the basis of what a good story is. On the other hoof, I feel like there's a bit too many loose ends that need to be tied together. Would you mind adding an Epilogue or a short story that gives a bit of closure to this?

3070400
There is more to the story. The entire conflict with the shadow is yet to come.

Now wether the author is up for yet another amazing epic is yet to be determined :rainbowdetermined2:

Seems to me like this was the perfect ending to a good story, but I can't help but wonder how would it have gone if instead of making her own choices with her own rules Twilight took Mother's speech at face value and decided to side with Celestia. After everything she is done is not that I want Celestia to win, but it would be worth seeing everypony reaction at seeing a returning from death Twilight suddenly siding with Celestia after starting the revolution, causing a war and liberating the other 5 elements of harmony and making them turn on Celestia. Bonus points if Twilight becomes and archetype of order and doesn't notice it until after the fact meaning that she is even staying on Equestria as an Alicorn for keeps, meaning everything, including the death of Spike and the CMC, would have been for nothing. From Twilight's perspective that would probably be the worse possible ending, including the death of all creation, but it could make for an interesting alternate 1 chapter AU ending.
3070400 These last two chapters are an Epilogue of sorts. Mate was the last chapter planed for this story, Clearing the Board is an extra chapter that was added in order to add more closure and for the epilogue, The Greatest Game, to make more sense. And remember that a sequel dealing with the shadow has yet to come.

no word on if Sweetie Bell's baby was as ... special ... as some of us were hoping she would be :fluttercry:

This is amazingly well done, but I have one little annoyance...
Twilight didn't say a single word to Shining Armour, her brother. Unless I have missed something huge in the last few chapters, they haven't sorted out any of their issues at all. I would have thought Twilight would be more eager to sort out things with him than with Celestia, at least on a personal level.

3070665
Yeah, I think I'll be releasing a few stand-alone stories. There wasn't really a place for it here, I think. Maybe a Hearth's Warming Eve dinner, with the Alicorns and Twilight's family.

That would be enjoyably awkward, I think.

3070515

I could put it into words, but I think I'll let the music do my talking. Because when it comes to writing, I have the same policy as the Terminator.

Aww, the actual ending.:fluttershysad:

Sometimes I wish a story could go on forever, but it's better to stop on a good note, rather than keep going and lose grace.
Most of my favorite moments were in Lines and Webs, but this was amazing at manipulating my emptions.
I'll keep watching for your future works, so keep being a good author.
-Eru Iluvatar

I thought that the first go at the epilogue was good enough, and had no idea why everyone was pestering you about it. If I had known at the time we would get this out of it, I would have pestered you as well. Depending on how far into the future the next part takes place this is also probably the last time we see or hear from Tara as well isn't it so the more of her the better.

I just realized something! Assuming that the next part takes place well into the future and only the immortals from this story (and maybe Shining Armor) are still alive, then Sweetie Belle would be long dead anyways. Assuming I have all the facts right, I'm willing to bet that you killed off Sweetie Belle so you wouldn't have to deal with the loose end of her child in a side story or something. If I'm right, that was brilliant! If I'm wrong I might jump on the "Sweetie Belle is Still Alive" bandwagon.

Much better than before! Obviously a few things are unresolved but seeing as how another fic and possibly a one shot or two will come out eventually I'm assuming most of the lingering issues will be given the closure we all crave. Great story!

I can see Shining and Twilight trying to make up with each other now...
Shining: "Sorry I tried to get you raped and killed."
Twilight: "Sorry for pretty much blowing you up."
Yeah that will go over so well...

3070668
Okay, that I would pay to see.
Again, aside from that this was amazing as usual.

It is hard to find words to discribe how this make me feel. This chapter brought an end to this amazing story, yet it leaves me wanting more, it leaves me wishing to hear about how Twilight's rule plays out. It also leaves me wondering how the marrage works out with Twilight rulling over her kingdom, but those things can wait for answers, because, for now, i am happy to know that this story had a good and peaceful ending. I hope you continue to write because you are an excellent writer.

a great ending to a great story, im looking forward to the third part immensely!
i will also be nice to see one of those stand alone stories where twilight and shining might talk about their relationship after their respective murder/mutilation/rape actions against one another:twilightsheepish:.

you really surprised me with the CMCs' fates, especially sweetie belle, i didn't think you would kill her off like that right at the end *cough*George R. R. Martin*cough*.
something else which surprises me in hindsight is how naturally you managed to ease in tarantella; i often find suddenly introduced OCs to feel immensely out of place, especially considering hers and twilight's relationship, i really commend you on managing that.

A moment of silence for those left behind :ajsleepy:

Two-state solution, huh? Yeah, that's gonna end well...

Amazing work, Airstream. These last two chapters really were needed, and the ending to this is a good one. Here's to the future!

Well this ought to settle any complaints about no conflict resolution between the alicorns and whatever we classify Twilight as now.On that note, not sure how to feel about the resolution and signing scene, on the one hand Twilight forgave all the princesses for doing everything to her; but on the other hand I doubt they'll just stop playing her. And yes it was nice to hear Celestia say she was proud of her student and wished she was born the alicorn instead of her child, that's all fine and good, but respect doesn't equal immunity to their games.

Luna seemingly respected Twilight, at least to the capacity of giving her an entire rebellion to plan and use, and yet that was only out of a desire to balance the world and defeat her sister. She's still probably the most agreeable of the Alicorns in my opinion however, since everything she did not only didn't touch and or ruin my life in any way, but also was the outcome with the most benefit in everyone's case. And the Lunar city she's building, that's going to be an asylum right, keeping in mind Asylum doesn't always mean mentally deranged?

And Cadence seemed a bit too forgiving since she was being so vain about her scar and everything and seemed to hate Twilight so much, but what do I know, near death experiences mightn't had a role in that. And she might just be the tiniest bit terrified of what Twilight can do, hell maybe all the princesses are and they're just placating her so they can do whatever they want when she Twi dies; assuming she even can since she's the champion of thought and without her the balance might be upset again.

LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT


And now, I am afraid, I have to ask the inevitable question....

3070869

Typical family reunion in Game of Thrones.

I'm glad you wrote both the previous chapter and this one to end this story with. This story now feels complete. Loved the whole thing and will hold this up as an example of ponies being epic.

3070668
By the Heavens, yes! Not only would this give a set up to have Twi and Shiny talk but it could give us some insight into why their parents didn't side with Twilight from the beginning.

Looking forward to whatever project you work on next, be it the sequel to this story or something brand new!

I'll say this again:

All of this mess would have been prevented if Twilight had gotten a radical hysterectomy, thus ensuring she couldn't physically become pregnant by anypony.:pinkiehappy:

Great story, of course.:twilightsmile:

Huzzah!

Now that was a good ending. Can't wait to see more from this universe.

3070152
Very sad. Maybe a short follow-up about their trip over the mountians? Yes, those mountains.

3070338
You're telling me, Shining Armor didn't even have a choice. Just forcibly used as a convenience. I still think Celestia still needs to be knocked down a few notches. She claims to care, but here she is complimenting Twilight as if she won a game of chess (haha, probably intentional ;)), not a bloody war that killed hundreds or thousands of ponies. It wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that she is incredibly selfish and cares only about this utopia, not the actual ponies. Maybe they should just lock her up in a crystal ball with a simulation of that?

3072355
Um, magic, dude. Magic fixes everything.

3072696

I swear I has been dreaming with the image of a ponified Elric slaying Celestia with the Stormbringer since Lines and Webs.
Maybe because being returned to the Aether is too good for her.

3072509

Then why didn't it occur to Twilight or anypony else to AT LEAST TRY to cancel Celestia's alicorn pregnancy spell the moment they found out that it was there??

3070571
I might be completely wrong here, but didn't Sweetie Belle die? Meaning no foal to be special?


// Sphex

3073267
It also got about 8 months of development in about a week or so.
The foal was (at the least) unusual. Possibly caused by the fertility spell cast by Celestia.
Anything could happen ... including

Bravo, good sir. Bravo. Though, I think you need a few more wrapping up chapters. #sarcasm

Trilogy! Trilogy! Trilogy!:twilightsmile:

3090615
Finished an amulet today. It is crafted of dolomite. It menaces with spikes of gneiss. It menaces with spikes of limestone. It depicts an image of an elephant. It depicts an image of a dwarf. The dwarf is cringing. The elephant is laughing at the dwarf.

Finished an amulet today. It is crafted of obsidian. It menaces with spikes of basalt. It menaces with spikes of granite. It depicts an image of a dwarf. It depicts an image of a elephant. The dwarf is in a fetal position. The elephant is striking the dwarf down.

Finished an amulet today. It is crafted of dolomite. It menaces with spikes of petrified wood. It menaces with spikes of alabaster. It depicts an image of a elephant. It depicts an image of a tentacle demon. It depicts an image of a dwarf. The tentacle demon is doing an unspeakable act to the dwarf. The elephant is laughing at the dwarf.

Finished an amulet today. It is crafted of marble. It menaces with spikes of jet. It menaces with spikes of onyx. It depicts an image of an elephant. It depicts an image of a goblin. It depicts an image if a human. It depicts an image of a dwarf. It depicts an image of me. The elephant is on fire. The goblin is on fire. The human is on fire. The dwarf is on fire. I am on fire. The elephant is screaming. The goblin is screaming. The human is screaming. The dwarf is screaming. I am screaming.

3092384
That's what we did in basic. Instructors would tap airmen to be "wounded", tell them their symptoms, and we'd have to patch them up based on what we thought was wrong.

I was actually kind of good at it. Apparently I'm good with small groups and bedside manner.

Login or register to comment