• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,009 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,009

PreviousChapters Next
Check

Cadance’s eyes fluttered open as she took stock of her surroundings. Her coat was covered in mud and gore, and she was cold and tired beyond all belief. Her head pounded painfully, and her muscles throbbed in almost-perfect time. Her stomach threatened to turn in on itself when she attempted to rise, and so she sank back down carefully, content to rest a while.

“A wise move, child.” Luna looked down at her calmly. “I would have disliked to restrain you in your state. I fear that I may be too overzealous should I exert myself, and we can’t have you damaged any further.”

Slowly, as if being dredged from the bottom of an abyss, Cadance’s memories faded back into reality. She remembered meeting Twilight above Canterlot, the battle that had taken place. She remembered a searing pain from where her scar had been, barely being able to turn Twilight’s attacks away, her frightened visage reflected in the unicorn’s armor. She remembered how easily she had been defeated. Twilight had somehow anticipated her movements, and it was only by leveling all of the hatred that she had absorbed at Twilight Sparkle that Cadance had been able to compete with her.

And then that particular well of power had burned itself out. Millennia of hatred was gone in moments, and Twilight had begun her work. She remembered the cruelty of her blows, how she had been batted around by Twilight’s magic like a half-drowned kitten. Twilight had fought with economy, precision, and grace. Before, she had been a frightening opponent. With her newfound power, Twilight had become unstoppable. She hadn’t stood a chance.

Luna’s eyes met hers. “You know,” the dark Alicorn said. “The curse Twilight laid upon you was only set to last until her death. Or yours, but mostly hers. You could see it as a small act of mercy. ‘Tis more than any of us deserve, really, after what we’ve done to her.”

Cadance’s tongue felt like it was made of rancid fat. “What…what is she?”

Luna watched as the grounds on the other side of the Regia erupted into a flurry of motion and magic. “I see she and my sister have failed to reach an accord. I suspected as much. As to your question, I cannot rightly say. I suspect she wields the Power of Knowledge now. She seemed most acclimated to it. But there is more in her, more than I think I anticipated. She is a representative of the Aether, now. For ill or good, my Mother has a claim to her.”

Hoofbeats sounded in the distance, and Cadance’s ears pricked up at the sound of a familiar gait. She craned her neck, searching. Moments later, she was rewarded with a set of strong hooves around her neck. “Shining Armor?”

The stallion nodded, his grip never loosening. “Cadance, are you alright? What did she do to you?”

Luna gave a snort of amusement. “I have done nothing save making sure that she does not attempt to do anything foolish and further injure herself. She was beaten quite soundly by Twilight, she should not be moving.”

The Commander of the Guard gaped. “Twilight? But…we heard from one of the Air Corps detachments that she died!”

Luna shrugged. “She did. But she still had business left on the mortal plane, so she was returned. And before you go about thinking that you could send her back, I wouldn’t try it. And get those pikes away from me before you hurt yourselves,” she snapped at the contingent of Solar Guards who had been edging closer. “Even with twice the number of soldiers you have now, you’d still be losing.”

The sky began to deepen to black, and Luna inhaled deeply. “It won’t be long now. I gave Tarantella the idea of watching the skies for my sister after telling her of Twilight’s regretful death. If my suspicions were correct, she should be ready to strike soon.”

Lightning erupted from the sky, and Luna nodded approvingly. “This is it, then. The beginning of the end.”

Shining Armor’s eyes were wide. “You mean you actually encouraged a mortal pony to take on Celestia? Knowing full well what will happen?”

Luna’s face was somber. “I tell you this only because no one will believe you, Commander. But in any game of chess, sacrifices must be made. I take no joy in it, but what follows will be very delicate work. Twilight is intelligent; she will figure it out eventually. But until then, it is vital that she move in the correct patterns.”

In the distance, the tallest tower of the Regia began its final journey down.


Tarantella felt something wet and hot hit her face, and she gasped as she opened her eyes. She had expected death, had welcomed it, even. She had consigned herself to oblivion knowing that she would have died doing the right thing. She had expected her next sight to be her father and mother. Tara had waited to see eternity, but what she saw made her breath catch in her throat.

Twilight stood over her, both daggers buried straight in her back as dark blood flowed from the two massive wounds. Her teeth were gritted, and Tarantella could have sworn she saw the fangs of a dragon in her lover’s grimace before Twilight’s horn flashed with a pure silver light, and her back hooves propelled her forward, taking Celestia with her.

The little unicorn was unstoppable; all emotion vanished from her face as the wounds in her back began to spray magic in addition to blood. Celestia’s blows rained down on her, leaving cut after cut that wept with crimson, but Twilight’s assault never faltered. Truly, it appeared as if she had simply decided that if she were to die, Celestia would pay for it.

The unicorn stopped, blood flowing from a hundred cuts as she wobbled on her hooves. Slowly, she sank to the ground, her eyes fixed on Celestia as she lost the strength to stand. Gently, Celestia approached the young unicorn, her wings spread wide in victory. Twilight was reminded of another time, years ago, when she had knelt before her goddess, and she began to laugh, a rasping, coughing laugh. Celestia looked upon her student, laughing as the life fled from her body, and she tilted her head to one side curiously.

“You find this amusing, Twilight?” Celestia asked, her tone curious. “I win again. You die for nothing.”

Twilight smiled, blood seeping from the corners of her mouth as her horn lit up and she yanked the daggers from her back. Tossing them to one side, she managed to look up at her teacher once more. “No, Celestia. I win.”

And suddenly, the unicorn burst into flame, white hot flames that roared and hissed as they crackled in orange and red and purple and silver. With a rush of magic, the broken body of the unicorn rose into the air, shedding her armor as she did so. The flames grew brighter and brighter to behold, and even Celestia was forced to shield her eyes before the brilliance of her student. The inferno turned in on itself, forming a ball in which Twilight Sparkle’s huddled form could be seen, not only failing to be consumed by the fire, but apparently fueling it.

There was an explosion that was as much magical as it was physical, and the clouds in the sky evaporated in moments, revealing the last failing lights of heaven and the emergence of the stars above. A solitary star rose in the east, and with a sound like the tolling of a massive bell, Twilight Sparkle was reborn.

The unicorn looked at Celestia, her face young and impetuous, far younger than she had been when she died. The unicorn standing before Celestia was maybe sixteen, the age she had been before she had left Canterlot, the age she had been before meeting her friends, or defeating Nightmare Moon, or… taking up her Element.

The crystal star in Twilight’s chest flashed, the six points dazzling Celestia as she slammed into the ground, a massive magical discharge forming around her hooves as she simply pointed her horn at the monarch. With a minor effort, Twilight Sparkle drew deep from the ley lines underneath the Regia, and directed their energies at her old teacher.

Celestia’s eyes widened, and she flexed her wings, ready to pump, but it was too late. Jagged shards of nearly transparent crystal burst from the earth, and with unimaginable ferocity, they slammed into the body of the Alicorn. They erupted from the top of her back, their pristine clarity smeared with blood and gore as they clawed at the sky. Celestia’s scream was cut short, and she writhed feebly on the massive spikes, still very much alive.

“I know this isn’t enough to kill you,” Twilight said, trotting towards her. “But I need to speak to you, Celestia. I am Twilight Sparkle, Bearer of the Crystal Flame, Mistress of Knowledge, and Champion of the Aether, and by the power of my Setting Sun, I will have your attention and respect!”

Twilight’s horn lit up, her magic a deep purple, and she leaned in close to her onetime mentor, their roles reversed for the first time. “Pay attention, Celestia,” Twilight murmured. “It’s time you learned something.” Their horns touched, there was a rush of energy, and the duo tumbled into blackness.


The manor in Twilight’s mind had seen better days. She had not used it since her final speech with Luna four years ago, and the two of them were able to see the effects. The walls were stained, the foundations crumbling. Tiles were missing from the roof, and the path leading to the house was overgrown and choked with weeds.

It was the work of a moment to clear it all away, to repair and improve the old house Twilight had made once upon a time, in happier days. Celestia stood by, watching as the walls were once more whitewashed and the red tiles of the roof were put back in place, the lawn was trimmed and the house was made to sparkle and shine like new.

Twilight gestured to the house. “Welcome, Celestia. Go on ahead inside, I’ve some work to do out here.”

The Alicorn, surprisingly enough, went without a word. Twilight watched her go, realizing just how bizarre it all felt. She had invited Celestia into the deepest recesses of her mind, into a private place she had built for herself and nopony else. Only a few trusted individuals had made it this far, Spike and Luna. And she was going to call one more. One she considered more dangerous than any foe she had fought so far.

A circle burned itself into the grass, runes of containment forming as a complex summoning circle took perfect shape on the lawn. Twilight sighed, and began to shout, as much psychically as mentally. “Discord, I need you! O Lord of Chaos, O Scion of the Aether! Discord, the Abyss, the Void, the Chasm! Discord, I bid ye come hence!”

“No need to yell, Twilight Sparkle,” a mocking voice drawled from behind her. “And the titles, though appreciated, were unnecessary, along with the three names and the circle. I’m not some demon to be whistled for.”

Twilight inclined her head respectfully, turning to face the sinuous draconeqqus. “Apologies, but I needed to speak with you and Celestia together. She’s waiting inside, if you would care to join me? I have a proposal I need to discuss with you both.”

Discord gave a mocking little bow, conjuring a top hat. “After you, Miss Sparkle. It is, as they say, your party.”

Twilight nodded curtly, trotting down the pathway towards the house, Discord in tow. She felt a bit nervous accepting Discord’s thoughts into her, knowing his track record with her friends. But it was only a cautious flutter, nothing more. Twilight wasn’t entirely sure why, but she felt as though she was protected from his influence at this point in time. And she could sense no ill will from the spirit of Chaos, merely a good-natured amusement, which was grating on a few levels, but not particularly threatening.

The pair entered in through the front doors of the house, which closed gently behind them, and Twilight led Discord into a small study, standing to one side as he entered the room. Celestia’s eyes narrowed as she saw who had come in after Twilight, but otherwise she didn’t react. Discord took his seat, and Twilight took her own, sitting between the two. She sighed, preparing herself.

“I imagine this is the first time you have spoken like this in a while. Discord mentioned to me that you don’t visit his statue, Celestia, but he and I spoke a few months ago.” Twilight turned to the Lord of Chaos. “You nearly let me get eaten by Windigos. That was not appreciated.”

The draconeqqus shrugged. “What did you expect from me?”

“Nothing less than that,” Twilight admitted. “And Celestia, later on that same trip you attempted to wrangle me into submission with a Binding spell, which was understandable. You didn’t want me seeing this.” Twilight said, resting one hoof on the crystal star pulsing gently in her chest. “But I got ahold of it, and now it’s mine. Not yours, mine.”

Celestia said nothing, merely choosing to regard Twilight calmly. Twilight returned her gaze levelly for a long moment before sighing and massaging her temples. “Look, I don’t know how to put this, but I need you both to cooperate with me. I’m sure you both know what’s happening, what Luna let into the world, and I know that you both know why. It’s time for Chaos and Order to stop going at each other’s throats, and we’re starting with that here. And I think the first step to doing that is to allow Discord to discorporate and roam Equestria freely.”

Celestia’s voice was ice. “Absolutely not. Twilight, you’ve no idea the destruction he’s caused, the lives he’s ruined. He very nearly destroyed the world, Twilight. I cannot in good conscience allow him to roam free.”

Discord rolled his eyes. “And your perfect Order did so much better. Honestly, Celly, controlling the hearts and minds of your subjects? That was cruel and you know it. My world may have ended in fire, but yours would have stagnated entirely.”

Twilight’s hoof slammed into the table, causing both gods to look at her askance. “Enough from both of you. I am very close to going on the advice of the lesser archetypes and sending you both back to the Aether, but I know that will only make the job I was sent here to do that much harder.”

She looked at the Alicorn sitting to her right. “Celestia, you’ve lost. Your version of Order will never hold sway, nor should it. Discord is right to suggest it would end poorly. If I had thought it a good idea, I would have stayed behind. But it’s not. At the very least, you should have allowed ponies the choice to join your utopia. But chaining Discord and keeping him locked up would expend more time and energy than we are able to afford, not to mention depriving us of an ally.”

She turned to Discord next. “Discord, I don’t want you in charge of things either, but I do think that your brand of Chaos can do some good in the long run. If there’s something I learned while leading the Ever Free, it’s that struggle, while unpleasant, breeds new ideas and more durable individuals. And if we’re to succeed against the Shadow, we’ll need strong supporters.”

Discord laughed. “And why should I agree to work with you? The bigger the thorn in Celestia’s side, the happier I’ll be.”

“Because if the Shadow wins, three will be nothing left. Not just wreckage, nothing. No opportunity to practice Chaos, because there will be nothing to practice on, and you’ll be dead. So will Celestia. So will I and every thing that ever was, is, or will be. I’m offering you the opportunity to practice more Chaos than you have in millennia, just on a reduced scale over a larger area. I suggest you take my offer.” Twilight retorted.

She turned to Celestia. “I don’t have the energy to fight you any more, Celestia. That’s a fact. You can’t control me anymore, and I certainly can’t control you. I propose we sequester Equestria once Discord discorporates. Any who wish to stay with you can do so, and accept your rule. Control ponies if you wish and they consent. Let them choose once they reach the age I was when they left home. I can’t control you any more than I can control Discord, but I need you both to work with me. I need Luna and Cadance, too. We all made a big mistake, but it’s time for us to swallow our pride and fix it.”

Twilight looked at the two gods, her tone becoming almost pleading. “You two have spent all of your existence fighting, but now you need to work together, otherwise that existence is going to come to an end. Call it a temporary truce or a cease-fire, but right now Equestria needs both of you, whether or not you can see that. So I’m not just asking, but from a position of power, I’m begging you. Help me. Help Equestria. Help us, Discord and Celestia. The ponies under you will need you more than ever before, and they need you more than they realize. So please, in the name of the Aether, help us.”

The room was silent save for the wind outside, as the spirits of Chaos and Order looked at one another. Their lips curled, their shoulders tensed, their eyes smoldered with hate for one another. To ask Order and Chaos to cooperate? It had never been done. It was never intended. Twilight’s horn sparked dangerously, and a decision was reached.


With a sound like thunder, the magic hanging in the air dissipated, leaving a beaten Celestia to slump in exhaustion as Twilight drew away, forcing the spires back underground. The Alicorn lay on the blood-soaked dirt of the ruined land. The smoldering castle stretched to the sky behind her as she contemplated her dominion in ruin, her followers destroyed, all in a futile attempt to end the rebellion which had spread across her kingdom. It had been a bloody conquest, consuming hundreds of thousands of lives, cities razed to the ground, and the shattered bodies of fifty thousand soldiers prostrated by Twilight Sparkle and her armies rotting in the Everfree after facing abominations made to strike horror into the hearts of mortals. It was over. She had lost, and all that was left was the surrender. Celestia focused on healing herself of her wounds. She would need her strength in the days to come.

Twilight had other worries. “Tara!” she called, searching the battlefield. “Tarantella Allegretta! Where are you?!” There was no answer, and Twilight’s heart plummeted. The Pegasus had sustained serious injuries, and even if the knives hadn’t connected, there was a very real possibility that she might be dead. Twilight called again, an edge of real panic creeping into her voice. “Tara! Where are you? Say something! Anything! Tarantella!”

“Here…” a weak voice called. “Twi…light…here…”

Twilight’s head snapped around. “Tara!”

The Pegasus was in bad shape. Her body was twisted and shattered, and she could barely turn her head to look as Twilight hurried over. She smiled weakly as Twilight knelt over her, surveying the damage. “Cara Mia, you’re back. Did you…did you win? Is it over?”

Twilight nodded, a tear trickling down her face. “It’s done. We did it, Tara. Celestia’s beaten and we can live freely, together.”

Tarantella shook her head. “Not together, Twilight. You know that. I can see my father standing behind you. He’s waiting for me.”

Twilight’s hoof tightened on Tara’s. “Don’t you dare give up on me, Tarantella Allegretta, because I am sure as Tartarus not going to give up on you.”

She could feel Tara’s grasp slipping as the Pegasus began to fade away. Desperately she asked one more question. “Tara, do you want to stay with me?”

The Condottiero smiled. “Yes.”

“With all of your heart?”

“I’d never do it for anything less, Twilight.”

Twilight nodded sharply. “Then I’ll try something.”

She inhaled deeply, breathing in the smell of smoke and death as she cleared her mind. And then she plunged into the vast well of power inside of herself. She began to pour power through her horn as she reached for Tarantella’s soul, grasping it tightly as she began to let magic flow into the Pegasus’s battered body. Twilight knew only a few things. The soul was life, and she used some of herself every time she cast a spell. Like a cup full of water, she could contain her soul.

Tarantella’s cup was cracked, and leaking. But Twilight was attempting something amazing. She poured more and more of herself into Tarantella, keeping her alive as she simultaneously drew magic from her own body, repairing Tarantella’s glass by depleting her own. It was as difficult as pouring water into a cup made of freshly made glass, like manipulating fire and water at the same time. But Twilight had more magic and more life to draw on than most. And she had decided, deep down, that this was what she would gladly use her magic for.

Tarantella’s body was wrapped in a warm cocoon of deep purple light, cradling her like a womb as her bones reknitted themselves, her lungs sealed shut once more, her heart began to pump with more strength and vigor. Her mind went blank as she experienced something she never had before, the sensation of shared magic. She arched her back as her shoulder blades erupted in pins and needles, and with a single, swift motion, wings sprouted anew from her back.

Twilight grunted in pain and kept going. She could feel life leaching from her bones as she poured it into Tara, years slipping away as she fought to bring her back from the brink of death. She gasped as magic poured from her, and with a final push, she cut off the flow of magic. She rushed to Tara’s side, looking over the Pegasus, who lay extremely still.

“Tara? Tarantella? Are you alright?” Twilight looked over her lover’s body, noting the stillness of the chest, the calm blankness of the face, the lack of movement. Her heart sank. She had failed.

Of course, it was right then that Tarantella’s eyes shot open, focusing on Twilight with a blank expression on her face as she began sucking in huge breaths of air. Her wings unfurled from her back, and she craned her neck to look at them. They were different than before, her wings. Her old ones had been an iridescent gray, whereas these started gray and faded to deep purple at the tips, the same color as Twilight’s magic. Turning to Twilight, Tarantella smiled, throwing her hooves around Twilight’s neck.

“I spoke to my father,” she murmured. “He gives his blessing.”

Twilight was momentarily confused. “Blessing? What blessing?”

Tarantella leaned away from Twilight, cuffing her lightly on the side of the head. “Idiota. For a genius, you can be downright scatterbrained at times.”

The unicorn’s memory returned. “For the wedding?” Tarantella nodded, and Twilight smiled. “That’s wonderful! Forgive me, though. A lot has happened.”

The two ponies sat alone, surveying the battlefield. “It’s over, then.” Tara said. “Really?”

Twilight nodded. “Really. It’s all over, and we can finally have a bit of peace. We’ve earned it, and we’ll need it. There will be tough times ahead.”

Tarantella leaned into Twilight, draping one of her new wings over her back. “So long as we’re together, Cara Mia, we can take on the world.”

Twilight shuffled in closer. “I know, Tara.” There was so much to do. A nation to forge, treaties to sign, plans to make. There would be parades and coronations and christenings. There would be funerals, and memorials, and monuments to the dead and missing. But with Tarantella by her side, Twilight Sparkle knew she could accomplish anything. “I know.”

PreviousChapters Next