• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,016 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
Knight Fall

Honey Crisp waved goodbye to her friends as she left the schoolhouse, promising to meet them bright and early the next day to help with a bake sale put on by the school. The filly had taken to baking like a fish to water, and every adult around her noted that the sweet young mare would likely have her Cutie Mark in baking sometime soon, though they naturally refrained from telling her this. As it was, the setting sun gleamed across her unblemished flank as she wrapped her scarf even more tightly around her neck and pulled her stocking cap over her untidy mane and freezing ears. The day had dawned cold, had kept cold, and it looked as if it would finish even colder. She was looking forward to getting back to the farmhouse and a cup of hot cider.

“Honey Crisp!” a voice called from the schoolhouse. She turned to see that her teacher, Mr. Books, was standing in the doorway, waving to her. She blushed a little at the sight of him. Like most of the fillies in her class, Honey Crisp had a bit of a schoolgirl’s crush on the teacher. He was handsome, kind, funny, and currently not seeing anypony. So she quickly readjusted her hat as she trotted back towards the schoolhouse.

“Yes, Mr. Books?” she asked.

The unicorn smiled kindly. “Would you mind stepping into the schoolhouse for a brief moment? I’d like to talk to you about something.”

Honey Crisp glanced over her shoulder at the road behind her. Normally she was supposed to come straight home if her mother wasn’t there to pick her up, but Mr. Books was her teacher. And she certainly didn’t want to disappoint him. “Of course, sir.” she replied, stepping inside. The door closed behind her.

Mr. Books trotted behind his desk, a simple thing of applewood, a gift from her family many years back to the schoolhouse. He noted the young filly shuffling uneasily in front of him. “Honey Crisp, are you alright?”

She nodded. “I’m just eager to get home, sir.”

He smiled. “Understandable. Last day before the winter break and all that. I promise to make this quick. I have a question for you, and then I shall happily escort you home myself. Deal?”

The Earth filly nodded. “Deal.”

“I’ve been going over your medical records, and everything is up to date except for your weight. How much do you weigh, Honey Crisp?”

The filly gave her weight confusedly. “But why do you need to know that? You’re not Nurse Redheart.”

Mr. Books smiled at her as his horn lit up. A quick jet of light caught her in the chest, and the filly sank to the ground, asleep. “Because, Honey Crisp, I need to know how fast my sisters and I can run with you. I know your mother, and I don’t relish the thought of being caught by her with you in tow.”

Her disguise fell away in a rush of emerald, and her wings began to hum and vibrate, letting her sisters know that the time to flee was now. She turned to face the side of the schoolhouse as she waited on a response. She did not wait long, perhaps a minute, before two replies came back, little more than affirmative chirps. Another spell reduced the side of the schoolhouse to ash, as she hauled the filly onto her back and began to sprint through the streets of Ponyville.

An alarm was raised at the sight of a Changeling sprinting through the streets carrying a foal, and several ponies gave chase to the kidnapper before she was able to make it through the center of town. She saw to her horror that the Bearer of Honesty was setting up a cart in the town square, and their eyes locked before the Earth Pony’s face contorted and she leapt away from the cart, giving chase.

She kept to her pre-planned route, cursing her encumbered speed as Applejack gained on her step by step. She was close now, so close, all she had to do was make it into the next lane, and…there! She took the corner sharply, sprinting for the edge of town as best she could while carrying a half-grown filly on her back. Applejack’s thundering hooves were right behind her the whole way, and she was never quite so glad to see Onyx, minus her disguise as the proprietor of Quills and Sofas, waiting in the middle of the road.

She fired a stunner spell at Applejack, keeping to her orders to use non-lethal techniques at all costs, and giving the Changeling time to increase the distance between herself and the furious Applejack. The last stretch lay before her, and she felt rather than saw Azure fall in on her other side, joining the magical barrage speeding towards Applejack. The pair of female Changelings not running fired off a few more spells before abandoning their positions and breaking off towards the Everfree. As they ran, a loop of rope was quickly secured to Honey Crisp’s middle, and three lengths were attached with practiced ease.

Applejack panted as she made up the gap between her and the Changelings, who had approached the open fields on the edge of town. They were getting ready to leap into the air and head towards the Everfree, she could see that much. And she didn’t know what it was, but there was something about the clouds lining up at the edge of its boundaries, obviously as a deterrent to the town’s Pegasi.

As one, the team of Changelings leapt into the air, spreading out into an even triangle. The breath caught in Applejack’s chest as she worked harder and harder, desperate to catch the monsters who had taken her foal. Three steps away, two, one…she jumped, hooves outstretched as the Changeling team struggled for lift. And missed, by the smallest of fractions of inches. The Earth pony could do nothing but stare as they climbed higher and higher. One or two Pegasi rose from the center of town in order to stop them, but they were easily picked off by spells from the two Changelings flanking “Mr. Books”. She screamed as Honey Crisp appeared to slip off of the lead Changeling’s back, suspended by the ropes each Changeling held in their hooves.

“Honey Crisp!” the heartbroken mare called as her daughter was flown away over the Everfree. “Honey Crisp!” The town gathered to watch helplessly as Applejack, a community leader, broke down. “Monsters! You bring her back, you bucking monsters! Please, I’ll do anything! Just…just bring her back…”

The crowd parted for her husband, who had stepped out of a shop just in time to see the Changelings take off. Parcels forgotten, he had hurried towards the edge of town, somehow knowing that it was his daughter being taken from him as they winged towards the forest. Barely Scotch knelt by his wife, comforting her as she began to weep.

“Hon, what happened? Who took her?”

Applejack’s sobs grew quiet, and she began to shake, violent tremors that wracked her entire body. When she looked up, her eyes gleamed with a barely repressed fire, a torrent of hatred that bordered on the all-consuming. When she spoke, her voice packed an ocean of hate into two simple words.

“Twilight. Sparkle.”

Without a backwards glance, she left her husband and town behind, heading towards the forest. Twilight Sparkle had taken her foal from her. And she would be waiting for her, waiting to meet her. She was going to Zecora’s hut. There she would meet Twilight Sparkle. And there, friend or no, she would make sure Twilight Sparkle never did anything to hurt her daughter or the ones she loved, ever again.


Rainbow Dash surveyed the town in front of her, one that even now burned from within, consumed by the fires of revolution and anarchy as ponies leapt from street to street, looting government buildings, toppling statues of Celestia, and overrunning any of her positions that had been left too far forward. Even now, the last remnants of the Guard had formed a compact ring around the tower, behind a barricade that had been erected both quickly and professionally. She herself had helped with her own hooves to tip a wagon onto its side, nail boards into place, and tear up cobblestones in order to forestall any charges made by the Ever Free.

In some places the defenses had already been tested, being thrown back with difficulty by those manning them. They had paid dearly for that defense, however, and she could hear the screams of wounded ponies in the tower behind her, as her medics did their best to treat them for the wounds they had received from the strange spheres thrown by the rioters. Rainbow Dash watched as another pony under her command, an Earth pony hardly more than a colt, was carried to a medical hut by two of his comrades. He appeared fine…until she noticed that one of his hooves was badly mangled and blackened. He didn’t appear to be in much pain, though. He didn’t look to be feeling much of anything, anymore.

How had things spiraled so quickly out of control? She gazed at the skies, which only hours ago had seemed to be full of the promise of salvation, if they could not restore order entirely. Now they were a grim reminder of what Twilight Sparkle was truly capable of. Three hours ago, a task force of nearly fifty ships, among them troop carriers, bombards, and the quick moving aerial gunships, had roared into view above the city from the northeast, straight from Canterlot. They had cheered then, thinking that Celestia’s justice would carry the day here in Trottingham. They were wrong. By the Radiant Sun, were they wrong.

The sky of Trottingham had suddenly darkened with patches of smoke, resembling the magical illuminations unicorns shot into the sky to celebrate holidays and special occasions. What had set these explosions apart, however, was the fact that they erupted in flashes of flame, and were powerful enough to do damage to any airship. She had watched, horrified, as the anti-airship rounds being fired from…from somewhere...had torn the fleet to shreds. One had gone directly into an airship, punching a hole in its metal hull before exploding within the ship. It had veered listlessly after that, crashing into one of its brethren and plummeting into the ground. And she had seen what they did to Pegasi as she had raced off with the rest of the flyers under her command to rescue those they could. It was only thanks to her speed and agility that she wasn’t hit by the explosions that dotted the air.

But she hadn’t made it back unscathed, not quite. She had been hit right underneath her wing, near the joint where it connected to the rest of her body. She had barely been able to glide in for a landing, and she would be unable to get enough lift to fly out of the city. Her last orders to her team had been to leave the city. They were the fastest flyers available to her, and they could handle themselves in a fight. It would be after the Gala when they arrived, but they would be back. And they’d bring the might of Equestria back with them. She just hoped they’d be quick. So far, the rebels had shown no mercy, given no quarter, and asked for none in return. Prisoners were not taken. They needed reinforcements, and they needed to hold out until morning. But that wasn’t her problem right now.

“Aurora Company has been pushed back to their position in our defensive ring! We no longer control anything in the city except the barricade!” her aide shouted over the sounds of combat and explosives, magical and mundane. “ They’ve effectively grounded our flyers, ma’am, though we still have a few combat ready. What are your orders?”

Rainbow Dash snapped out of her reverie, bringing herself up to speed on what she had just been told. A moment later, she came to her decision. “Ground them. I need every able-bodied pony up on those walls, holding pikes and spears. Tell our mages that if they don’t come up with a way to counteract those spheres they’re throwing outside of personal shields, then we’re all finished. We are now fighting a defensive battle, and we are going to hold this position until reinforcements arrive. If we can last until tomorrow morning, then I believe that Princess Celestia herself might be available to lend aid.”

The aide scurried away to deliver the message. Rainbow Dash sighed and reached for her canteen. A voice rang out over the barricade. “Attention occupants of the Governor’s Spire! Forces belonging to the Princess Celestia! We of the Ever Free Occupational Movement wish to speak with you! Is the commander of the Guard garrison available to speak?”

Rainbow Dash, though unable to fly, was fast enough that she had made it to the top of her wall before the echoes from the voice had faded away. She swept the walls for a unicorn, pulling one who had been rescued from a falling airship with her. “You. Navy. Can you do amplification spells?”

The unicorn nodded weakly. “Yes, ma’am. Just start speaking, I’ll boost your voice.”

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat and replied. “This is Commander Rainbow Dash, Bearer of the Element of Loyalty and Commander of Her Solar Majesty’s Peacekeeping Force in Trottingham. Who am I addressing?”

A reply came back. “My name is Lively Song, elected leader of the Ever Free movement in the city of Trottingham. I am here to negotiate terms of ceasefire and surrender of your forces. You’ve lost the city, Commander. We don’t want any more bloodshed. Will you negotiate?”

Rainbow Dash’s wings flared indignantly before she realized what her situation was. She was surrounded, the ponies under her command were weary and hurt, and they were clearly outmatched. Her eyes took in the pitiful fort they had constructed, the frightened faces of the Guards around her, and for the first time in nearly four years, Rainbow Dash felt her bloodlust fade. When she spoke, it was not with the voice of a commander, but that of a leader.

“As Commander of this group, I will negotiate terms of surrender. Here are my conditions. Firstly, the seriously wounded I have in my care, those unable to move themselves, will be treated for their wounds and kept safe. Those able to leave while still sustaining serious wounds must be allowed to do so. Thirdly, all enlisted taken as prisoners will be treated humanely and fairly. In return, they will abide by the rules of their captors., and remain orderly under the command of their officers, who will comply with the rules of their detainment.”

There was a pause from the location of the voice. Rainbow Dash could feel the eyes of nearly a thousand ponies on her as she stood tall, waiting on a response. One minute went by, and then two. As she counted towards her third minute, the voice spoke again. “Your terms are acceptable. However, I must make an addendum. You will relinquish custody of your Element and agree to extradition to the Regia in the Everfree Forest, there to be tried for war crimes against the newly formed state led by the Lady Twilight Sparkle.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t even hesitate. “Agreed.”

“Then I consider our conversation concluded, Commander. We will arrive in fifteen minutes. You have until then to prepare yourselves. Good day.”

Rainbow Dash turned to the weary, disbelieving ponies that she commanded. “You are hereby ordered to form yourselves into chain of command, stack your weapons, and enter formation. We’ve lost this city. No need for you all to lose your lives. And besides, my team is on the way to Canterlot. If they think that they can hold this city,” she growled, “they’ve got another think coming. Let the medics know that they’ll shortly be relieved and appraise them of the situation. And if the Princess is unable to recover me in time to put down this foolish revolt, then I would like to take this opportunity to say it has been an honor serving with you all.”


Lively Song strode down the avenue, to the right of her banner-bearer. The flag sent to her by Twilight Sparkle had seen fierce fighting during the day, and had proved itself to be a symbol to rally around during some of the more pressing engagements. The once-pristine silk was now tattered and scorched, the pole stained with blood. For all of that, it still remained a powerful symbol. Just like her warriors, who had proved themselves extremely well today. At last, she and her group of Ever Free fighters reached the barricade, which was gently levitated aside by the unicorns with her. They were not challenged. Carefully, she and her captains stepped through the gap.

“Guard, tench-hut!”

A thousand ponies came to attention, those that were able. In front of them lay spears and helmets, stacked in orderly piles by unit. In front of the group stood their Commander, Rainbow Dash. They stood proud, waiting on her to make a move. Lively handled it with all of the grace and dignity she could muster. “Stay here.” she murmured to the Earth Pony bearing the banner, and she strode forward to meet the Element of Loyalty face-to-face. “Commander Rainbow Dash, I presume?”

The chromatic Pegasus nodded shortly. “Indeed I am. Are you here to relieve me of my command?”

“Lively Song, at your service. And yes, I am here to take command of Trottingham.”

The Pegasus slumped. “Very well. I, Rainbow Dash, hereby relinquish control of the city of Trottingham and surrender my forces until such time as hostilities between the Ever Free and Equestria have ceased.”

“I Lively Song, do accept your conditional surrender and give my word to hold to the terms of our agreement. Rainbow Dash, you may hold yourself relieved of command.” At a nod from Lively, two ponies stepped from the ranks behind her holding bonds. “Rainbow Dash, I hereby charge you with crimes against the Ever Free State, charges to be leveled formally at the Regia. In compliance with the standing commands of Milady Twilight Sparkle, I am to seize your Element, to be brought with you to the Regia.”

Rainbow Dash nodded, looking at the breastplate she wore. She had not removed the Element since Twilight had started her rebellion. She had grown accustomed to its power, its protection. And she had no idea what would happen once she was separated from it. Inhaling, she placed her hooves on the plate, and tugged. It refused to budge, and a lance of pain shot through her. She gritted her teeth and tried again. The Element tore at her skin in protest, as she attempted to shed the bond she had shared with it over four years of battle. A high pitched, keening scream came from the Pegasus, whether from her own throat or the protesting metal it was hard to say. Reaching for her last reserves of strength, Rainbow Dash, Bearer of the Element of Loyalty, relinquished her power.

The breastplate clattered on the ground, as Rainbow Dash followed it down. There was a gasp from the ponies she commanded. Underneath the armor, the pony was emaciated, her chest scabbed and bleeding over protruding ribs. Her coat had no luster, and that was rapidly spreading to the rest of her body as she collapsed onto the ground, her usual reservoir of power gone. For four years, Rainbow Dash had pushed herself with the aid of her Element. And now, she was paying the price. The once proud pony was now skin and bones, chest laboring as she fought for air.

Through fading sight she saw her officers looking at her, horrified at the sight of her weakness. She was barely aware of calls for a medic as restraints were placed around her wings and legs. A bridle was slipped into her mouth and securely fastened. Humiliation and fear flared up hot within her, and she came to realize that she was crying. Gentle yet powerful hooves lifted her away, bundling her out of the gates toward some unknown location. The last thing Rainbow Dash heard before she fell into merciful unconsciousness was the tolling of some massive bell.

PreviousChapters Next