• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,013 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,013

PreviousChapters Next
White's Move

There was a stunned silence from the table. Applejack rested her head in her hooves. “So that’s it, then. We’re done.”

Twilight shook her head. “No. Now that I know that the Element is breaking down, I can use the same spell I used on you all to Break mine. It’ll be easy.”

Luna’s hoof slammed down onto the table. “DO NOT use that spell!” She gazed at the assembled ponies, who cowered in fear. Reasserting control over herself, she cleared her throat. “My apologies. But you cannot use the same spell to Break the Element that you have used on the others. The lion’s share of the power now rests in the Circle on the Mountain, formed when Celestia and I were first summoned to this place. It is the source of our origin, and it is well-warded to prevent intrusion of foreign magic. If you attempted to access that place, physically or through arcane means, Celestia would know. If you tried to use your magic, it would likely take you to the top of the mountain and hold you there.”

“That would explain a lot.” Twilight mumbled.

Luna raised an eyebrow. “You have attempted to access this place?”

The unicorn nodded. “A few months ago, I attempted astral projection in an attempt to follow Celestia on a detour from Ponyville to Canterlot. I was nearly killed as a result.”

Luna’s attention was laser focused. “And you summited the peak? How did you escape the guardians Celestia set?”

Tarantella spoke. “The Windigos? Celestia set them there?”

Luna nodded. “She did so to prevent them from roaming wild, as well as providing a guard around the peak. A very few manage to escape every winter, and they follow the ley line from the mountain to Canterlot. This takes them through your valley.”

Twilight brought attention back to the issue before them. “So because most of Magic is concentrated on that peak, I can’t access it?”

Luna nodded solemnly. “Celestia has more control over it than you do, now. You cannot retrieve it. Yet.”

“Yet?” Twilight inquired.

“In three days, when the sun rises and Celestia is able to set her power on it, all of the Power of Magic will be concentrated in the spring on top of the peak. Celestia will take her offering to the top of the mountain and reforge the Element. But we can stop her.”

The room was silent, waiting on Luna to continue. “It is not perfect, but there is a solution. On that third day, when the sun is rising, I can send you there, Twilight. A single bolt of Breaking magic, concentrated in the pool, would scatter Magic to the four winds. It would then and forever be beyond Celestia’s control.”

Rainbow Dash coughed weakly before speaking. “Is there any reason you couldn’t go there now?”

“The Windigos.” Luna said simply. “My sister put them around the mountain to ward it against me back when I wore the mantle of Nightmare Moon. They appeal very strongly to emotion. I have never been able to pass them before, not without losing myself to them entirely. I am amazed Twilight was able to pass them at all. Only Celestia has been able to distance herself from emotion enough to pass them.”

Twilight nodded. “Could I take the Element there and perform the ritual?”

Luna shook her head. “With such a familiar vessel nearby, and Celestia’s magic permeating the mountaintop, it would do little more than make a new Element for her to harness. It must be fully Broken before it can be remade.”

“So what are we supposed to do in the meantime?” Applejack asked. “Just sit here and wait?”

Twilight smiled. “We prepare. We know that Celestia will try to stop us from reaching the mountain, try and keep us busy putting out fires while she waits on the Element to fully degrade. So we wait for our chances to strike, consolidate what we already have, and prepare ourselves for one knock-down, drag out fight.”

She spread a map out on the table, murmuring a quiet spell to cause portions of it to light up in gold and purple. “The purple is us, the gold Equestrian forces. We’ve taken Hoofington and Trottingham, and we just received word before the meeting that Los Pegasus had been overrun by dissidents and is receptive to Ever Free rule. We have eliminated most of Celestia’s chief staff. Several prominent nobles, mostly unicorns, have been quietly encouraging riots and rebellions in Manehatten. Others, including those out in the desert to the south, have actually declared allegiance to us, turning over their land and resources. Equestria is dissolving, and fast.”

A wooden box, carved with stylized flames, was brought forward, and Twilight tapped the lid carefully. “This box’s twin contains a message to Celestia. It’s been delivered to her chambers by one of our operatives before he fled the city. Hopefully, when Celestia sees it she’ll be dissuaded from attacking us.”

Applejack raised one hoof. “Sorry to interrupt, but I think it’s about time Twilight explained to me what she brought me here for. And why she stole my daughter.”

The unicorn’s face grew grim. “It’s about Applebloom. She’s been taken by Celestia.”

The orange Earth pony nodded. “She’s enlisted. Celestia’s within her right to do that.”

“But not to do what she did to her.”

Every eye at the table swiveled to see who had spoken. Sweetie Belle’s voice was flat as she continued. “Your sister is a monster now, Applejack. She’s a killing machine, an animal.”

“Horsefeathers.”

Sweetie Belle’s horn lit up, projecting a beam of light that fuzzed out over the table, resolving itself into a shape both familiar and horrifying. Applebloom stood poised to strike, a snarl on her face and a spear in her hoof, muscles bulging obscenely under heavy golden armor. Her eyes were pupil-less and shimmered with gold, though it was apparent to all present that she was far from blind. Her coat no longer held any trace of yellow. Instead, it gleamed the white of clouds, or new fallen snow. Or bone. Her mane had deepened to a deep red, and her face was spattered with blood. They almost matched in hue.

Sweetie Belle allowed Applejack a good look before she dispelled it. “That’s what your sister has been made into by Celestia. And don’t think that she won’t kill. She’ll do so all too happily. We lost one of our team tonight because of her.” This too was said with only the barest hint of emotion.

Applejack shook her head. “How do I know that you ain’t lying?”

“Because I saw her too, Applejack.” Rarity said, placing one hoof over the farmer’s own. “And it’s not just her. There were at least a thousand others, held in a camp underneath Canterlot’s mountain.”

Twilight nodded. “They’re called the Equestrian Guard. One thousand ponies, all young, all distinguished in some way. They were gathered over the past few months, and taken to Canterlot, where they disappeared. Now we know where they were. The goal was for Celestia to have her own personal force, able to be used as a hammer against our forces. They’d be completely unaccountable to any other branch of service, under Celestia’s direct command, and easily the deadliest foe we could encounter on the battlefield.”

Luna was uncharacteristically quiet when she lit up her own horn, projecting another pony onto the table. It too resembled Applebloom, down to the eyes and fierce expression. The only differences were that this one was male, and had a lengthy scar running down one cheek. It too wore heavy gold plate, and it wielded a short sword and circular shield as opposed to a spear. Turning to Sweetie Belle, she spoke with a quaver in her voice. “Is this what you saw?”

Sweetie Belle nodded. Luna dissipated the illusion and tuned to the map in front of her. “It’s too much… we’ve pushed Celestia too far.”

Twilight frowned. “What do you mean?”

Luna began to speak quickly as she drew charts to herself, scrolling through troop displacements and strength reports. “That pony is a type I saw before, a thousand years ago. It is called a Sunborn, and believe me when I say that they are a terror to behold. Celestia used them as shock infantry, and they were all but invincible to regular infantry. They we stronger, faster, more agile. They were killers without peer, could take incredible damage and keep on coming, and tore through my best Guards without breaking ranks. But worst of all was their fanatical devotion to my sister. I saw one jump on a hex without a second thought to protect his Princess, and he never once screamed or cried out.”

Twilight furrowed her brow. “And what about that says that Celestia has been subjected to too much pressure?”

Luna threw aside a paper, and began sketching out rough battle plans. “The fact that she has made them suggests that she was preparing for an all-out invasion of the Everfree Forest. She’s bound to have prepared troop plans already. The ones Sweetie Belle saw tonight had reached the end of their training. That means that whatever plans she had, they’re ready. She doesn’t need her generals anymore. She’ll just consolidate her junior commanders underneath her and push anyway. Twilight, Celestia is already prepared for war. But now she has a justification. She’ll be ready to destroy the Rebellion once and for all.”

“But her forces are still spread out!” Twilight said. “There’s no way she could mobilize them all in three days.”

Luna nodded. “Exactly. Now that she has Cadance, she has the raw magical power necessary to open portals, permanent tunnels through the fabric of space and magic and time that she can move her armies through. Her soldiers can traverse Equestria in hours now. Come morning, the vanguards will begin arriving. By the sunset of the first day, she will have her forces fully consolidated. And then she’ll push.”

Twilight began to panic. “We’ll be overrun. There’s no way we could throw back that many, not without help of some kind. Two days to prepare? That’s nothing!”

Fluttershy pointed out of a window. “No, Twilight. Not two days.”

Pinkie Pie gulped. “One.”

The first rays of dawn crept over the horizon. They were red, and gleamed with the promise of pain and death.

Twilight turned to Applejack. “You may have your chance sooner than you thought, Applejack. Come tomorrow, Applebloom will be on the battlefield. You’ll have your chance to get her back.”

She left the second half unspoken, but everypony there knew what was implied. Applejack was on Twilight’s side now. If things went poorly, one sister might kill the other. It was looking all too likely that it wouldn’t just be those two, however. In one more day, the revolution would stand tested. For better or for worse, the fate of Equestria rested on one single day.


The sun dawned red over Canterlot, though the moon still hung in the sky. As Cadance watched, the two celestial bodies seemed to converge, until the moon was completely covered by the heavenly orb. And with a rumble like thunder, both magical and arcane, the mark on the moon vanished. And it was only moments later that a brilliant comet, blazing in the morning light like a harbinger of doom, streaked toward Canterlot, splashing onto the ground in front of Cadance, who remained kneeling respectfully in front of Celestia.

Or rather, what Celestia had become. Her rage manifested itself in the most extraordinary fashion, setting her coat and feathers alight in golden flame that dripped in blue and red, hissing on the ground. When she spoke, her voice was not the soft and soothing tone she had used so often. Cadance had always been reminded of a violin or cello when listening to it. Now it echoed like bells of bronze and gongs of brass, terrible and powerful enough that she could actually feel the words threatening to set her coat on fire. This, combined with the rage she felt pouring from Celestia like waves of heat, prompted her to avert her eyes.

“Bring him.”

Cadance reached for Shining Armor with her magic, bringing him from the top of the mountain to her. His form was still, covered in ice completely. She took it as a good sign. Had he been in danger, he would not be so well preserved. Celestia bowed her head, a tiny ribbon of flame coiling around the prone form of the stallion and sinking in to the ice with a rush of steam and a sibilant hiss. As he thawed, Cadance anticipated Celestia’s next command, retrieving the sphere from the mountain hut and laying it before her. Shining Armor’s soul was suspended inside, coiled like azure smoke and waiting on release.

This next part was her task and hers alone. Gently, oh so gently, she lit her horn, feeling her magic pour into Shining Armor and stimulating him, reminding the shell what it was like to bear a soul. A second tendril of magic withdrew the soul from the sphere, holding it delicately in front of her lover. Gently, without prompting, it sank into Shining Armor once more, filling the vacuum she left as she withdrew her own magic. As she watched, he coughed once, twice, before his eyes fluttered open. She bent over and kissed him then, feeling him remember himself, who he was, and return that kiss.

“Enough.”

The voice echoed through the air like a whipcrack, and Cadance turned to face her monarch. Celestia’s flame began to flicker as she spoke. By the time she finished, Celestia’s flames had nearly died out.

“We have much to do. The Elements are gone, I can no longer control any of them save Magic, and that is tenuous. We are standing in the middle of a ruined city, and I have not a single idea who is and is not still able to preserve Equestria. Please, Cadance. I understand you are relieved, but right now you have a duty to Equestria.”

Cadance took a deep breath and nodded. At a signal, two Guards came running, checking over their Commander. She walked to Celestia’s side, glancing back at Shining Armor, who waved a hoof.

“I’ll be fine. I promise.”

And then, with a rush like smoke, the two Alicorns disappeared, reappearing in Canterlot’s War Tower. It was a hotbed of activity, one that was characterized by ponies rushing to and fro, babbling orders and updates in a panicked, constructive sea of organized chaos. A giant table dominated the room, showing Equestria completely mapped out as well as Equestrian force dispositions and the estimated positions of Ever Free forces in the form of wooden tokens. The activity in the room ceased, however, upon seeing the two goddesses standing over them all. A reverent hush fell over the room, and as they noticed their monarchs, the ponies turned and prostrated themselves on the ground before Celestia and Cadance. Cadance turned to speak to Celestia, and almost bowed herself at what she saw.

Celestia no longer possessed her mane of pastel ethereal energy. Instead she displayed one color and one alone. The legends told of a time when her hair shone with the gentle pink of a sunrise, gleaming softly as the first rays of dawn. Celestia had returned from the moon with a different color entirely. Her hair shone a deep crimson, the color of flame, or possibly blood. Her eyes, instead of tranquil purple, flickered with an intense blue light, like the hottest part of a candle, and the air around her gleamed gold with power. The sum effect was that of a goddess comprised of flame, a wrathful fire spirit beautiful and terrible to behold. She spoke, and ponies obeyed.

“Return to your duties. Get me the highest in command. Now.”

A scant minute later, the commander of Canterlot’s Air Corps flew down from a meeting room above, snapping a quick salute to his ruler. His uniform was clean, and pressed, though his head was swathed in bandages.

“Highness. We’re glad you’re back.” His voice was calm, but Cadance didn’t need to use her magic to see that he was stressed. The rigid wings on his back proved that much. “We’ve been assembling what knowledge we have on the table, and we’re getting more intelligence in as we go.”

“And what do we know, Commander?” Celestia asked.

He indicated the table. “Massive rebellions in Hoofington and Trottingham have overwhelmed the city garrisons. They’re effectively in the possession of the Ever Free. We lost contact with Los Pegasus early this morning, and we’re assuming the same there. The fires are out, but the Rounds were completely destroyed in the explosion, so there is no way for non-flyers to leave the city, ma’am.”

Celestia’s wings slowly began to lift, betraying her emotions despite her best efforts. “Continue.”

Nervously, the stallion offered a stack of papers. “In addition, Ever Free operatives have assassinated no less than seventy high-ranking officials, including the generals of each branch of service. The Captain of the Guard was killed in the blast last night, and the Commander of the Garrison in Fillydelphia is still missing. Prince Blueblood was found last night strangled with his own cravat, and his newest marefriend is missing and wanted for questioning. My own wife attempted to beat me to death with a gravy boat last night, ma’am. When I killed her in self-defense, I found that she was in fact a Changeling.”

He gestured at the table. “In addition, our borders with the Oligarchy are active. Troop movements are being observed, though no move has been made to provoke a response from our own forces. Several of the old noble families have expelled soldiers and officials from their land, mostly along the southern border of the Everfree. And lastly, the Elements of Harmony cannot be reached, ma’am. The Solar Wing reports that Rainbow Dash was left in Fillydelphia as the result of an arrow wound that prevented her from flying, but she is the only one accounted for. We believe the Bearer Rarity was kidnapped last night during the Gala. Some of our flyers report the departure of a small airship, too fast to be intercepted. It was armed and fired on them, ma’am.”

Celestia was silent for a moment. When she spoke again, her voice was tight but controlled, resembling her old tones much more closely. “Please inform all groups on standby to proceed to active status. I’m calling up the reserves from near Fillydelphia, and consolidating the First, Fourth, and Sixth fleets north of Ponyville. The Second and Fifth are to rendezvous over Hoofington. If fired upon, they are ordered to use deadly force. I will restore order in Trottingham myself.”

The Pegasus barked out orders to the necessary ponies. Turning to face the Princess, he waited on further orders. Celestia pushed forward Cadance with one wing. “This is my niece. She will be familiarizing herself with the board, while I secure some of the important resources we have left exposed.”

The Pegasus bowed once more, and when he straightened up, Celestia had vanished. Turning to Cadance, he bent a little at the waist, hovering as he did so. “If you’ll follow me, ma’am?”

Cadance stepped forward to the board, gazing at the tokens arrayed upon it. She listened as the Commander began to speak, indicating the pieces.

“We have three full Legions of Regulars stationed in and around Fillydelphia, mostly concentrated here and here. That comes to about fifteen thousand ponies…”


The cavern echoed with the sharp crack of teleportation, and Applebloom whirled to face her attacker before prostrating herself on the ground before Celestia. At her signal, one thousand others did so as well, full packs rattling on their armor, freshly checked. Their spears, newly sharped, remained erect and proud, points gleaming in Celestia’s radiance.

Applebloom waited for the officers to approach Celestia, flanking her, before taking her position at her right wing. It felt good to be there, right. She surveyed the thousand before her, warriors all, and felt a swell of pride in her chest. She had made it, proved herself to be the best of the best. Turning to Celestia, she waited for orders.

“Strike your camp, Chief Spear. By noon, you will taste blood.”

Applebloom smiled, baring her teeth in a snarl as she belted her order. “Guard, strike camp! And prepare yourselves! Today, heretics die!”

PreviousChapters Next