• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,012 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,012

PreviousChapters Next
Dance of White and Black

It was an unusual night at the Regia, to say the very least. New visitors, tense soldiers, and an air of ready watchfulness were the watchwords of the evening. The atmosphere pooled in pockets, bubbling in the scullery and kitchens as serving maids gossiped, resting heavily in the Guard barracks and diplomatic quarters while their occupants contemplated the conflict that was about to start, and spreading like wildfire through the high towers and aviaries where the Pegasi had their homes. But it was in one of these towers, belonging to Twilight Sparkle, that it gathered thickest, like a choking fog.

Six mares occupied the tower. Twilight sat at a table with her once and future friends, sensing the power of their Elements flowing freely through them. Fluttershy fidgeted nervously, glancing out of the window towards the city of Trottingham. She had anxiously been awaiting Rainbow Dash’s return, eager to see if her friend since childhood had survived her journey. Pinkie Pie and Applejack were eating, the efforts of a long day taking their toll. Pinkie stifled a yawn as she continued her conversation with Applejack, though she refused to sleep just yet.

Flanking their Lady were Golden Radiance and Radiant Zenith, neither of them eating, both of them studying charts, notes, and schedules for the upcoming strikes against Celestia. Golden Radiance’s eyes fluttered for a moment, before she shook herself and walked over to the window, standing in full view of the moon. As the three Wielders looked on in confusion, the moonlight began to bend itself around her, spiraling inward as it disappeared into the tip of her horn. The construct’s eyes flashed a healthy green, and she gave a small noise of satisfaction, as if she had just polished off a large meal.

“What in tarnation was that?” Applejack asked.

Golden Radiance looked around, her expression embarrassed. Had she blood, she would likely have blushed. “Pardon me. I felt weary, and I needed moonlight to recharge this vessel of mine.”

“Golden Radiance doesn’t eat like you or I.” Twilight said to Applejack. “She isn’t really living, she’s a personality suspended in a construct. She’s entirely magical, which means that she needs fuel to survive. This happens to be moonlight. She needs it, otherwise she’ll deactivate.”

“What happens if she deactivates?” Pinkie Pie queried, peering at the unicorn’s papery horn closely.

“I will revert to my dormant form, that of a book in which my personality is sealed. If I expend all of my power, or if I am fatally wounded, the same shall apply. In fact, that is why I was unable to assist Twilight Sparkle in Canterlot.” Golden Radiance replied calmly.

“How did Twilight get you out of an old book in the first place?” Pinkie asked.

“I needed blood of kin, magically charged, to reactivate myself. Originally, I had planned for myself to be the only one to use me. But I was slain, and so I lay dormant for centuries until Twilight unsealed me.”

Applejack’s brow wrinkled in confusion. “Wait. You all mean to tell me that y’all are related?”

Radiant Zenith nodded, looking up from her notes. “Indeed. Twilight is one of the last descendants of House Radiant, of which Golden Radiance and myself are part.”

There was an awestruck silence from the trio of Wielders, broken after a moment by Fluttershy. “Are you saying that the three of you are all from the same family?”

Twilight nodded. “A scholar, a Mage, and a witch. That’s us. Granted, it’s unusual, but then again, when has my life been anything along the lines of usual?”

The metaphorical ice that had surrounded the group of ponies began to crack. A chuckle, a tug of the lips as a smile worked its way onto a face. Shoulders slumped in relief, magic which had until recently been kept ready was released, and the ponies in the tower began to relax a bit more. Were they friends? No. And they probably would not be for a good while. But they were getting acquainted, learning trust, and that was a step in the right direction.

Applejack gestured to the food on the table. “That’s pretty good for a bunch of starving rebels. You all steal that?”

Twilight shook her head. “Most of the first year, we relied on outside suppliers and raids. Which is where Whitetail came in. But once the first harvest came in, things got a lot easier. You should have seen Hearth’s Warming the year we first got here. That was the year with the heavy snow, remember?”

The farmer nodded, grinning. “How could I forget? Hay, you could hear trees exploding from the cold in the early morning. We lost a few of the younger apple trees like that. How bad was it for you all?”

Twilight gestured out of the window towards the river. “We had barges coming upstream with supplies, everything from lantern oil to food to warm clothing. The only thing we didn’t lack for was firewood. Those fields you see were all cleared recently. Lots of ponies to feed, and only a little time to do it in. But before we got those supplies-“

There was a cautious rap at the door, and Twilight broke off. “Enter!” she called, slipping back into the role of a leader once more.

A Lunar Guard trotted through the door, stopping at a respectable distance from Twilight Sparkle. He knelt briefly before delivering his news. “Milady, the Condottiero has landed with the Element of Loyalty in tow. She is in good care, and is under surveillance. Her Element has been removed and is currently in storage along with your own. What is your next command?”

Twilight’s voice rang with authority. “Ensure that she is well guarded and cared for. The Wielder of Kindness will be along in a moment to see if she can help. She is not to be stopped or molested in anyway, by any of my Guards. Those that do shall answer to me. Radiant Zenith will seal the Element of Loyalty to ensure that it cannot be used. And send Condottiero Allegretta to me.”

The stallion snapped a salute, pivoted, and removed himself from the room with haste. Twilight turned to Radiant Zenith. “Would you mind performing the seal? I need Golden Radiance here, and I wish to speak with my Condottiero.”

The witch smiled. “Of course, dear. Enjoy your time with your friends. I’ll be along presently.” Her horn flashed with silver light, and she vanished without a sound.

“You’re gathering all of us here in one night?” Fluttershy asked, as she prepared to leave.

Twilight nodded. “Or else Celestia would suspect something. Until she’s defeated and your Elements are unsealed, she could easily reshackle you all. The only one who might give her trouble is Rarity, and that’s because she has experience in dealing with mental magic.”

Applejack frowned. “So what’s your plan for getting Rarity out of Canterlot?”

“The same plan for getting Luna out of Canterlot. Sweetie Belle is going to do it.” Twilight said calmly.

“Come again?” Applejack asked. “It sounded like y’all just said that you sent Sweetie Belle to fetch Luna from Canterlot, as well as Rarity.”

Twilight nodded. “Tonight, actually. During the Gala. Well, when I say during the Gala, I mean after the Gala is evacuated.”

Pinkie tilted her head. “Why are they evacuating the Gala?”

Twilight looked at a clock on the wall. “Because in exactly thirty five minutes, the Rounds are going to explode, taking three automatic cargo trains with them. One contains military supplies, one contains mail and building materials, and one contains assorted cargoes, among which have been hidden three hundred and eighty five barrels of flash powder, each weighing in at thirty five pounds, smuggled on in Trottingham.”


Sweetie Belle glanced at the grand clock suspended above the dance floor. Thirty minutes were all that remained until they were to begin their operation. She glanced nervously at Night Light, who smiled back at her confidently. A ringing laugh rose from Celestia, who was seated a mere two spaces away from her, as her sister, the consummate actor, finished some amusing anecdote or another.

“I can see the last train pulling in to the Rounds. “ Mahtaram’s voice echoed in her ear. “You’ve got thirty minutes. Check your tools, your weapons are being held by our contact in Celestia’s chambers.”


“You’ve sent Sweetie Belle to Canterlot knowing that Celestia is there? Waiting for her? What in Tartarus were you thinking, Twilight?”

Twilight held her ground. “I was thinking that Sweetie Belle, who joined of her own volition, who was given every opportunity to turn that mission down, and who chose this path because none of the ponies in her life were honest with her, was perfect for this. She does illusion magic like nopony I’ve ever seen. I can’t even approach her level of skill. She was trained by the best agents we have to offer, and she is with a small but elite and experienced group of operatives.”

“So why can’t they do it?” Pinkie demanded, her hair frizzing as she leapt to her hooves.

“Because they were too well-known! With Sweetie’s illusory expertise and knowledge of how Canterlot works, they have a chance to free the Princess tonight. And I was out of time. My Element is deteriorating quickly, and without Luna’s help, it’s starting to look very likely that Celestia will win the war. Besides, she’s hardly defenseless.”


Sweetie Belle raised a hoof under the pretense of adjusting her bun, checking to make sure that both chopsticks were still there. They were. The hoof trailed down to her earrings, the ones that were made to confuse the wards around Luna’s cell. A toss of her head confirmed that they were still there. Her necklace rested comfortably across her throat. Nine diamonds it held, four smaller ones and one of the larger she had seen, gleaming in the light. She frowned. It looked like Twilight hadn’t managed to make that one completely flawless. A small sphere of milky white lay at its center.

She saw Night Light adjust himself similarly. He had declined any of the improvements offered by Twilight, instead choosing to rely on gear he had himself created. A simple watch rested along his right foreleg instead of the traditional left, he had concealed something along the roof of his mouth, and Sweetie Belle noticed that something was distending one of his straps ever so slightly.

She caught his eye, and nodded almost imperceptibly. They were both ready.


Golden Radiance help up a supplicating hoof. “Sweetie Belle does not know it, but the largest diamond on her necklace contains distilled moonlight, concentrated in its purest form. Once she reaches Luna’s cell, Luna will automatically remove the charge it brings her, using that magic to rekindle her lost Breaking magic. At that point, all that will be needed is for the trio to flee down into the caverns. An airship is waiting there, a fast model unlike anything in the Royal Navy.”

“Once Luna is in the moonlight, she’ll be able to hold Celestia off long enough for the party to get away. Especially tonight, when her power is at its greatest. That’s why we set it so that she will arrive a little after midnight, when the moon is at its zenith.” Twilight said to her friends, who settled back down.


In the deepest dungeon below Canterlot, the thing that was once Luna thrashed in its chains, frustrated at the lack of progress it was making. The Alicorn of the Night growled, a sound almost draconic in nature, and drew more of the darkness into her. Her coat darkened more and more, until at last all that distinguished her from the shadows she occupied were the slits of her eyes, glowing a terrible grey in the dark.

She inhaled, tasting the air. It would be after midnight. Once the moon had passed its zenith, she would be free. She would show her sister who was the true power, who was really the one fit to rule Equestria. She would take her revenge. Canterlot would be consumed by shadow this night. And never again would it see the sun.


Pinkie Pie tapped a hoof on her chin thoughtfully. “But what about Princess Cadance?” she asked.

Twilight smiled. “We received a missive from the castle earlier today. My brother is currently very ill, so sick that he cannot perform his duties as Commander of the Guard. We believed that Cadance would simply be preoccupied with him to the point of being unable to react quickly to our raid. But she, too, collapsed this morning. Celestia took her away somewhere, and neither of them has been seen. Presumably they are out of the equation, at least for a while.”

“Do you know why?” Applejack inquired.

Twilight’s face grew serious. “No. And that worries me, partly because Shining Armor is sick with some mysterious disease and partly because I fear it may be another play of Celestia’s. Hopefully Luna will be able to shed some light on the matter.”


The wind on top of the mountain howled with all the fury of winter, its biting chill permeating the very rock of the mighty peak. In the hut constructed with loving care at its summit, two ponies lay laboring for breath. The stallion, white with blue in his mane, was dreadfully still, a thin coating of ice riming him over completely. His horn flickered in beats and starts, a light that was echoed in the crystal sphere placed near his head.

The mare was different, anypony with eyes could see that. It was apparent in her long and tapered horn, as well as the rosy wings on her back. Her stature was graceful, her features perfect, save for the scar on her face. Even now, the ropes of white tissue gleamed in the pale light of the moon. The fire in their cabin had long since gone out. She shuddered, and gave a weak cough before gasping for air. Her eyes, a beautiful purple-pink, fluttered open for the last time.

It would happen after midnight, she was sure of it. Already, she could feel the black claiming her. As she watched, Shining Armor’s chest was still, and a steady stream of light flowed from his horn into the sphere of crystal. The ice claimed the rest of him, though his horn was free still. She smiled. Everything was going to be alright.

A moment later, she fell back into oblivion, and her soul fled her body to join that of her lover in the sphere of crystal. And all was dark and cold on the mountain.


There was a knock at the door, brazen and impatient. Twilight’s eyes lit up, and without excusing herself, she nearly ran to the door, throwing it open wide. An exclamation of delight, an embrace, and the Condottiero was through the door. Twilight began to babble excitedly.

“Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack, this is Tarantella Allegretta, the Condottiero of the Gale Dancers. Tara, these are my friends Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy.” she said, indicating each pony in turn. “Tarantella met me outside of Fillydelphia. She is one of my best friends, my greatest confident, and my lover of these past four years.”

There was, for the second time that evening, a stunned silence. Tarantella blushed nervously, an uncharacteristic gesture for her. “It is very good to meet you all. Twilight speaks highly of you.” she said, offering a hoof.

Applejack took it slowly. “Well…it’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Allegretta. Pardon our slow reactions, we all thought Twilight would have decided not to try again after, well…”

“After Morning Star.” Fluttershy said quietly.

Twilight said nothing. Tara would have to make her own impressions. The Pegasus pulled herself together. “Indeed. I had thought so as well. But such was not the case, and I thank my lucky stars that she decided to try and love me.”

Twilight stepped forward, standing beside her lover. “I owe my life to Tarantella. Literally. She helped to rescue me from Canterlot, gave me food and shelter when I needed it, and she abandoned her family home for me. Her band of Condotteri, the Gale Dancers, are some of the finest flyers I’ve ever seen. They can do some things that even the Wonderbolts couldn’t.” Twilight leaned into her, and the tow stood together, supporting one another. “She’s kind, and loving, and fun to be around. I’ve cried on her shoulder quite a few times, and she’s always been there for me. How could I not love her?”

Pinkie Pie trotted forward carefully, and offered one hoof. Tarantella took it solemnly, and Pinkie Pie shook. Her face cracked into a wide grin. “Oh, this is silly! Give me a hug for helping Twilight smile!” she cried, drawing the Pegasus in closely. Before Tarantella could do much more than return the embrace, Pinkie had leaned in close, whispering to her. “Don’t get me wrong, we’re all glad to see you. And thanks for taking care of Twilight. But I would stay away from Rainbow Dash. She’s got some unsettled business with you, though she doesn’t know it.”

Tarantella felt a familiar fire light in her breast, one that she had rarely felt before outside of battle. It was that of competition, of realizing that she had a rival near her. If Rainbow Dash wished to consider her an enemy, then by the traditions of her family and House she was honor bound to accept her challenge. “I thank you for your warning.” she murmured before pulling away.

She could see it clearly now. It was no longer Rainbow Dash that Twilight Sparkle’s friends were worried for. It was for her. She had no idea what she had done, but Tarantella Allegretta had a feeling that she would be paying for a past crime soon enough. The only question remained was what. What had she done, to earn a warning from the Wielder of Laughter? What had been done to earn the as yet unrealized enmity of the Bearer of Loyalty?

She resolved to attempt handling the matter on her own. If she could not, then Twilight would have to be informed. But there was likely a reason she had been warned secretly. Her mind was made up, then. Much as it pained her to do so, Tarantella would not inform Twilight Sparkle. She and the Pegasus currently lying near death in the next room would settle this between themselves. One way or another, a debt would be paid… her hoof strayed to a dagger at her hip. Paid or nullified.

PreviousChapters Next