• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,015 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,015

PreviousChapters Next
More Players, More Plans

Are you two sure about this? I don’t know if this will have the effects you both think it will.


Just relax, sugarcube. You do your thing, we’ll do ours. We need to get a message to her, and we can’t use any of the normal channels. This is the best way.


And if you get in trouble, we’ll be there to pull you right back out, okie dokie?


Well, if you’re absolutely sure… I’ll try.


It was going to be another typical day, just like every day before it, and just like every day that would come after until the two stallions were relieved from duty and sent back to the Regia. Supposedly, they had been chosen for their excellent observational skills and attention to detail. The communication crystal they carried with them had a direct line to Golden Radiance, and every transmission was scrambled to within an inch of its life. Their observation blind was well equipped, and the two stallions were at the top of their classes in the Lunar Guard in observation, camouflage, and ranged combat. They were veterans of the Whitetail Woods incident, and the Red Rock campaign. They were two of the best soldiers the Ever Free had to offer, and they both knew it.

Why, then, were they both stationed at the edge of the Forest, watching a scrawny Pegasus who had done nothing since the start of the Rebellion feed her pets? Because Twilight Sparkle had asked them to, that’s why. By name, actually. One of the absolute best scout teams the Lunar Guards had to offer, pulled to an observation post for six months in order to keep an eye on her. That tour of duty was unheard of, the longest either of them had heard of was three months. But they had their orders, and so the Pegasus Cool Breeze, and the unicorn Silver Star hunched down in the trees, waiting for something, anything to happen in order to relieve the boredom.

They knew her habits, the small yellow Pegasus. Every day around noon, she would leave her house and wander into the edges of the Everfree Forest, checking for hurt animals needing her care. Though the wild animals of the deep woods still were far too dangerous, she was nonetheless a friend to those tamer species living on the outskirts of the woods. Occasionally, she would go to a different location, a nearby bog, or an old abandoned hut under the roots of a massive tree, and do business there. Her position was always relayed, and they were given swift, concise orders on how to handle the problem, which usually boiled down to following or not following her.

Though the duo were bored, they remained vigilant. This Pegasus was an Element of Harmony, and as such, was keeper of a great deal of power. Neither of them had seen her wearing it, exactly, but they had been informed that Celestia had entrusted the Bearers with possession of their own Elements, and as such, she was likely to have it nearby. Which was why, at the first sign of trouble, both would retreat to their bolt-hole, a small underground camp, and seal the entrance behind them. They had done this exactly twice, once when the Pegasus had apparently murdered a large bear in a fit of pique, and another when a damned cockatrice had come slithering out of the woods. Both had been false alarms. The bear was in need of chiropractic help, and the cockatrice had apparently come looking for a safe place to lay eggs, and had not petrified a single thing there.

So, another day, another shift, and about a month until they could both return home. They were currently engaged in their favorite part of the day, though neither would care to admit it to the other. Directly before entering the woods, the Pegasus would spend some time among the animals staying with her, feeding them and singing all the while. It was a pleasure to watch her work, truly it was. The Pegasus was the sort of beautiful that existed without effort, a graceful and delicate beauty that, while not exactly the sort that made you want to compose poems, made you think of marriage and a quiet life on a farm somewhere.

The unicorn turned to his comrade, whose eyes were glued to the Pegasus still, as a strictly precautionary measure, of course. “She’s finishing up with the chicken coop now. Are you ready to head back to the next post? We can’t stay up here much longer.”

The Pegasus nodded slowly. “I’d be fine with it, but…take a look at what’s around her neck.”

The unicorn looked. What was unusual about today was the presence of a pendant, a very simple thing consisting of a strap and a river rock that had been attached to it. It was very much the sort of thing both could imagine her wearing, if not for the fact that she had started wearing it today. “What do you suppose it is?” he asked.

The Pegasus snorted. “Don’t know. Want to go ask her?” he replied sarcastically. “I’m just saying we should be careful. What if that’s her Element? Why would she be wearing it?”

The unicorn looked at him disdainfully. “You’ve seen the Elements. You know, big metal things, rattle like nopony’s business, visible a mile off? That’s no Element. Come on, we’re falling back. She’s putting away the feed bucket now.”

The two ponies moved quickly and silently, retreating into the forest to set up inside of a very well hidden vantage point, almost totally invisible from the outside, and well off the beaten trail. They occasionally had trouble finding where it was, even if they knew exactly where to look. They waited for her to come trotting along the path, and sure enough, not fifteen minutes later, along came the Pegasus, moving according to the same route she did every day. However, something wasn’t quite right.

The Pegasus turned to his companion. “She’s acting differently. She’s not looking for animals, she’s headed somewhere. Get ready to move if we need to.”

The unicorn held up one hoof. “Is that…is that singing? She’s singing something.”

Both watched as the Pegasus walked by their blind, slowing as she did so. Her voice was melodious, extremely so, and she was singing softly enough that the duo had to crane their necks in order to catch the words she was saying.

“Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to lay your sleepy head.

Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to go to bed.

Drifting off to sleep, exciting day behind you.

Drifting off to sleep, let the joys of dreamland find you…”

Cool Breeze stifled a yawn. His partner did likewise. Both watched through burning eyes as the Pegasus stopped, kneeling down by the side of the path, still singing. The Pegasus got a glimpse of the pendant around her neck. Strap, rock, a small hole bored through, but…what was that? On the rock?

“Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to lay your sleepy head.

Hush now, quiet now, settle down to bed.

Slipping into a dream, let my music bind you

Drifting off to sleep, just let slumber find you…”

Oh, shit. Silver Star struggled to get up and head for the bolt hole. The Pegasus was headed right for them, and he could see very clearly the pink butterfly emblazoned on the front. She was drawing on the power of her Element. He toppled to one side, as he watched Cool Breeze’s eyes slam shut. She was standing over him now, directly over him. He looked up into her beautiful blue eyes, as she sang another verse.

“Hush now, quiet now, and let fall your sleepy head

Close now your tired eyes, and lie down, time for bed…”


The two stallions woke up with a start, bound securely but not uncomfortably to two chairs. Both were also incredibly not dead, which was something they had not expected after being captured by one of the Elements. They looked at one another. Both were also clean, and slightly damp. They had not bathed in a while, having spent the past several months living in the woods, and they had both been acutely aware of the fact. The Element of Kindness was apparently having none of that, however, and had taken it upon herself to bathe them. The two were unsure if they should be thankful for that, or frightened. Cool Breeze tested his bonds a bit, but was interrupted by the arrival of a newcomer.

A violently pink Earth pony poked her head into the room, looking at them both carefully. “Oh, good, you two are up!” she chirped, walking over to the captured ponies. “Fluttershy said that you two would be up soon, but you both have been asleep for a really long time, and it’s been a bit boring and exciting at the same time waiting for you both to stop napping, we’ve been here all day, and-“

“Pinkie!” another voice snapped from the same doorway. The voice belonged to another Earth pony, this one orange, with a weathered Stetson perched on her head. “Get away, you’re not helping matters none.”

The Lunar Guards looked at one another confusedly. A third voice sounded from behind them, a very familiar voice. “I’m glad they both woke up, I didn’t want to hurt them, and they looked so still…”

Cool Breeze and Silver Star realized that they had been captured by no less than three of the five remaining Elements of Harmony. While this soothed their bruised egos to one degree or another, this meant that they were effectively at the mercy of whatever these three mares wanted to do with them. Their eyes met, and they nodded. A wealth of information was exchanged. It had been an honor, they had to remain strong, and it would probably be over quickly. Probably.

“Oh, will you cut it out with the looks? You both look like we’re about to bury you behind the house.” The orange one, Applejack, said.

Silver Star cringed. He spoke nervously. “Well, we were there for Whitetail and Red Rock. Our experience with the Elements has been…less than pleasant.”

Fluttershy’s eyes got wide, and she nodded understandingly. Applejack stomped one angry hoof. “Ah swear, next time I see Rainbow Dash, I’m going to shove my hoof up her-“

Pinkie Pie cut in. “We are not Rainbow Dash. That’s a promise. We just need your help with something, otherwise we would have left you alone.”

Cool Breeze snarled. “What, how to get to the Regia? How many ponies we have? Spy locations? Fat chance, I’d bite off my own tongue first.”

Applejack chuckled. “Easy there, stallion. We just want you to deliver a message. And it ain’t from Celestia, or the Elements. Just us three. It’s for Twilight herself, and nopony else. We want to talk with her.”

Silver Star spoke up. “No offense meant, but that sounds like a crock of shit if I’ve ever heard one. Lady Twilight hasn’t lived this long by wandering out of the Everfree on a whim.”

Pinkie Pie placed a comforting hoof on his shoulder. “All you need to do is deliver the message. And preferably, stop spying on Fluttershy.”

The Pegasus crossed a demure hoof in front of another. “Oh, I don’t mind, really.”

Applejack looked each of them squarely in the eyes. “Cut it out, y’hear? No more of that.”

Cool Breeze sighed. “Look, we will definitely deliver the message. And we will undoubtedly be pulled from our post to deliver it, and it’s unlikely that we will be back. That’s all I can promise. But what reassurance will she have that you won’t try something?”

Fluttershy smiled, a sad smile. “We can’t give her any. We’ve already betrayed her once, and it was one of the worst mistakes we’ve made. All we can do is make amends.”


The Princess of the Night was bored. Granted, she usually was, but there had been nothing to relieve that for near on two weeks. Not a visit from Celestia or Cadance, not a single attempt at interrogation made, not a thing. She had simply been left down here, in the darkness, apparently forgotten. So, she had turned inwards, and was now examining her psyche in minute detail, attempting to patch the miniscule cracks that could lead to major breakdowns later on. By her estimation, it was nearly the Midwinter Solstice, when her power was at its very greatest. That meant nothing here of course, but it was still a welcome event in her own mind.

Idly, she began to reminisce about the grand festivals thrown in her honor, back before even the Regia was built, back when they had ruled wild over the city-states, consolidating them under one power, providing them with unity and purpose and, yes, harmony. They had been wondrous affairs, she being the one who waxed and waned the growing seasons for those who followed her. Stone circles, harvest dances, the taste of winter wine on her lips…she licked the inside of her mouth, realizing that she was still incredibly thirsty. She sighed, wishing for something, anything, to relieve the monotony. She’d even welcome a visit from her sister.

There was a rattle from the door outside, and it swung open, revealing two large, winged ponies. The taller of the two lit her horn, and sunlight spilled into the cell that was Luna’s home, causing her to blink and squint. She smiled despite herself, appreciating the humor in the situation. “Speak and she shall appear. I was just thinking of you, dear sister.” she said, as Celestia and Cadance stepped inside.

“Good morning, Luna.” Celestia said, approaching her.

“Actually, it’s late afternoon, sister mine.” Luna said. “I keep my own time, remember?”

“How could I forget? Still, I simply wanted to see if you were still as…regular…as you claim to be.”

“Well, it isn’t as though I had much else to do down here.” The dark Alicorn said. “Aside from swinging on my chains, of course, or calculating how many ponies it would take to fill this room to the tip top.”

Celestia tilted her head curiously. “Now I must ask. How many ponies do you think it would take?

Luna smiled humorlessly. “Well, assuming we are using the same caliber of pony that is accepted into the Guard, I would estimate…two hundred and nine, comfortably. Turn me loose on the Guard prior to the experiment, however, and I think we could fit what was left of the entire Guard in here without too much trouble. We might need a mop to get them back out again, however.” She laughed at the look of disgust that crossed Celestia’s face. “Oh, pardon my little jest, prithee. ‘Twas quite worth it, to see the look on your face.”

Celestia ignored the jab. “I presume you know why I am here?”

Luna was quite aware of why she was here, but decided to see if she could get another rise out of her sister. “To spend some quality time as family? Perhaps thou wouldst like a game of charades? Or chess? I do miss chess.”

Celestia was blunt. “I am here to offer you another chance at Harmony, Luna. Cadance is here to provide moral support, should you need it. I can give you access to more of your power, allow you simple magic again. Food, drink, the company of other ponies, all I ask is that you give me your word, on your name and Power, that you will be my ally.”

“I say to you now that you will never count me as an ally in this. Never.”

Celestia’s tone took on a note of concern. “Luna, look at yourself. You’ve been down here for years. I miss you. The ponies miss you. Your night misses you. You know that I can’t make it the way you do. You’re an artist, Luna, and I hate having to keep you from your greatest creation, but I must count you among my friends before I can trust you with that sort of power.”

Luna was silent and still, as if transfixed by some new revelation. “No…”

Celestia stamped one hoof, her voice ringing with imperious force, her language slipping into the archaic Equestrian she had once used. “Thrice I ask and done, Luna Aetheria ex Equestria. Wouldst thou stand by me in my hour of need?”

“An’ for a third time I deny thee, foul temptress. May your false face hide what thy false heart doth know.”

Celestia snorted and headed for the door, Cadance in tow. Luna raised her voice. “Oh, Cadance?”

The Dawn Alicorn turned. “Yes, Aunt Luna?”

“How is Shining Armor?”

Both Celestia and Cadance froze. Celestia spoke. “So you know?”

Luna smiled thinly, showing no teeth. “Of course I knew, the moment she walked in. Dost thou forget so easily my harems, sister? Well I know the signs of a soulbind. She absolutely reeks of it. Child, thou wert with him directly before coming here, were you not?”

Cadance nodded. “Yes. He’s almost done.”

Luna laughed both long and loud at this, a cackle that bordered on madness in places. “Surely he is. And he is fit enough that he will survive, so long as you restrain yourself. This is your first, is it not? What do you plan on doing with the…leftovers? That will be quite valuable, you know.”

Celestia cut in. “You have no need to know that, Luna.”

“Oh come now, surely you jest! Your prudish ways may have blinded you to the true nature of the soulbind, but my experience in the matter vastly outweighs thine. And you know full well that her actions would have fallen under my purview, back in the wild days.”

“You speak of them fondly, Luna.”

“And why would I not? Of course they were filled with the follies of youth, but thou and I, we were revered as goddesses, and well they should have knelt before us, for goddesses we were. I miss the wild ways still, betimes.” Luna said wistfully.

Celestia rolled her eyes. “This is precisely why we centralized the ponies, in order to prevent that sort of behavior, that lack of control you so frequently exhibited.”

“The old argument, sister? Aye, things were less controlled back then, but ponies lived free and wild, able to make their own choices.”

“Are we speaking on the past or present, Luna?”

“Who says that they are different? To creatures such as us, they are simply words, Celestia.”

“I will not be portrayed as a villain because of your desire for anarchy, Luna!”

Luna laughed again. “Oh, sister I have missed these talks of ours. Quality time with you is so very hard to come by.” She said, her voice light and airy. Suddenly, she lurched forward, straining against her chains, face inches away from Celestia’s. The monarch of Equestria did not flinch as she spoke, her voice low and threatening. “Make no mistake Celestia, I will be free. I will have my revenge on you. And I will have my freedom back, and then the world shall see exactly how cruel the night can be. This I swear, on my name and Power, by the Aether, by Order and Chaos and Day and Night. I swear it on blood and bone, wood and sand. All your subjects will bow before me, and in place of a Princess they would wish for a queen, not radiant but mysterious as the stars, and treacherous as the night!”

Her voice climbed in volume. “I will see your subjects as mine, Celestia! All would see me and desire me, for I am the Night incarnate, and so long as darkness lingers in Creation, there shall I dwell. My time comes, Celestia, it comes very soon. Bow before me and despair, for just as I have brought Chaos to heel, so shall I shackle you, Celestia!”

The monarch stared into the furious face of her sister impassively, meeting the Royal Voice head on. “If you wish to be freed, Luna, you know what to do.”

She turned to the cell door once more. “Come, Cadance.” she said to the trembling Alicorn, and the cell door slammed, leaving Luna in her darkness once more.

Her mind began to work furiously. If Shining Armor was that close, and Celestia was involved…she sniffed the air. The scent hanging on Celestia, though she had done her level best to hide it, was familiar. The Circle, then. And if she had been to the Circle, then it could only be for one reason. Luna began to plot and plan, devising strategies and backup plans in order to counter this move of her sister’s. Now all she needed was to get free…

PreviousChapters Next