• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,585 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,585

21. Animosity For Her Twin

Sunset Shimmer dug out her phone from her pocket. She huffed when no new notification appeared on the screen. Despite her attempt to reach out to her first friend, she had been met with silence- not even a read receipt.

Amber-colored fingers tightened around the object and the back of her eyes stung. For a moment pure hopelessness settled in over her nerves, making her feel murky. She had felt like this since their fight. And Sunset had begun to realize she knew the feeling. In the past- during fights with her parents and the Princess of the Sun. Their views and opinions constantly conflicted with each other, no matter what she did as a filly the other party said she was doing wrong. It was becoming clear to her that in the end, all she ever took was the wrong path. The hurt of the princess, her parents, and her magic school peers' words turned her into a confused and angry filly. Instead of growing into the phoenix she watched Philomena become, she stayed at the wilted stage that was the mean and bitter mare and person she had been for years. Only breaking free of those chains barely a month ago. A part of Sunset was worried she'd return to that now that she had chased Twilight off. Something she wanted in the beginning but now she regretted more than anything in the world. And with her track record, that meant something.

Her self-deprecating thoughts distracted her from paying attention to her path. She was thrown out of that state of mind when she tripped. She fell to the ground and Sunset let out an 'oof!' at the impact. In a rare moment of luck, nobody was there to watch the fall. The redhead turned to see was had caused her plunge to the dirty school floor. Sunset stared in confusion at the large vine growing across the width of the hall. She flipped over into her bottom, the tingling of familiar magic suddenly buzzing on her skin.

The former unicorn stood up and grazed her fingertips over the trailing plant. Just as she thought- a sheen of magical residue shimmered as enchantment caused it to grow expeditiously. Where was this magic coming from? And who had enough of it to spellbind plants into rapid, overgrowth?

Sunset pressed her hand further onto the plant and let the magic swirl around her. An overwhelming feeling of Equestrian magic consumed her. Her feet moved on their own. The stronger the tingling got the quicker her footsteps got. Students passed by her, and whispers of curiosity filled the school's halls as more foliage grew, consuming walls and blocking lockers.

“Hey! Shimmer!” A raspy voice called to her. Sunset’s quick footsteps did nothing to slow down. The speedy athlete caught up to her as they got closer to the entrance foyer, “Dang I didn't know you could be so fast. You know something about the plants?”

She skirted to a stop out of surprise from the question. Did Rainbow Dash know about magic? Did everyone know and this was all a ruse to expose herself? Sunset whipped around with a defensive stance. The Prisma-haired girl met her with a surprised look as the fiery girl looked ready to fight her if needed. After a moment of the awkward stare-down (of course, their peers started to notice and stopped in anticipation) Sunset took a risk and turned around before continuing her path to the front doors of the school. Rainbow Dash followed her. She noticed the former bully's eyes wearily watching the blooming of the gigantic vines.

Finally, they pushed through the front glass doors and the track star gasped as one-half of the sky was covered in rain clouds and the other half was perfectly sunny with no clouds to be seen. Sunset practically jumped down the front steps and towards the marked-off area where the school's mascot statue used to be.

A steady glittery stream of magic, aiming for the sky confirmed her suspicion. Magic was going rogue. The expert mage was mad at herself for not realizing this would happen soon. Destroying the portal that had been a storage point of powerful magic was now causing the surrounding environment to rapidly flourish without any sign of stopping. Sunset stopped in front of it before pushing out a hand toward the stream, “Uh, what are you doing?” Rainbow's voice cut off.

‘Why does she have to be following me?’ Sunset thought to herself, annoyed that she couldn't subdue the rogue magic privately. She was about to make an excuse to get the athlete to walk away until she noticed the surrounding, passing students.

Paranoid suspicion set in again, Sunset pointed her head to the magnetic stream, “Do you know what this is?”

Raspberry-colored eyes glanced at the magic and shrugged, “It's the thing they're doing for the new statue?”

Sunset blinked. She hadn't been expecting that to be what others were thinking. It was a fortunate lapse in a magicless world's judgment that she would take advantage of.

“Right. Probably.” Sunset turned and began to walk away with Rainbow Dash not even a foot behind her.

As they re-entered the school, both girls had no choice but to observe the plants infiltrating the halls. Despite it being mid-fall now, flowers and leaves had started to bloom, healthy, and vibrant, “I figured if they were going to go all out decorating for the formal it'd be a bit more fall-themed.”

Walking down the hall led to catching Fluttershy at her locker, who was mesmerized by the ivy and daisies showering down the front of the metal storage.

“Hey Flutters,” Rainbow greeted as she gently placed her hand around the animal caretaker's waist. Fluttershy’s light giggle warmed the air, “Have you guys seen these beautiful decorations?”

Sunset playfully rolled her eyes, “Yeah. you kind of can't go anywhere without seeing them.”

“I just thought they'd be a bit more Halloween-ie. This is giving spring.” Rainbow voiced again as she placed her back against a locker. Fluttershy nodded in agreement before turning to the redhead, “Before I forget, thank you for this weekend Sunset.”

The retired bully stood confused as she tilted her head, “Um… for what?” She also looked to Rainbow for an answer but the girl also shrugged.

“The mural,” Fluttershy answered with a bright smile, “We've seen a lot of new pet parents come in and adopt ever since you painted it! It was the best adoption weekend we had ever seen. They all say the mural caught their eye and encouraged them in. I can't be more grateful!”

“H-how did you know that was me?” Sunset fretted.

“The Phoenix made me assume.” Fluttershy giggled, "It's very you."

“Congrats on doing something good. Both morally and skillfully.” Rainbow Dash teased with a smirk.

Sunset deadpanned at her before returning to Fluttershy, she scratched the back of her neck, “I'm really glad to hear that Fluttershy but do me a favor and make sure it doesn't get back to law enforcement that it was me.”

Rainbow burst into laughter and Fluttershy's smile turned to shock. The athlete calmed herself and roughly patted Sunset on the back. Admittedly Sunset was ready to bodyslam the runner.

She was able to restrain herself under the excuse of the running clock for the morning break. The hothead ran off, leaving the girls to their new conversation. The pointed student in her was beginning to worry she would have to hurry to get her required supplies for the first classes of the day.


Pinkie Pie skipped out of the gym. She had just finished sketching ideas and supply list for how she would decorate for the dance in only four days. She was excited! There were now many students competing for the dance royalty and Pinkie had a feeling that many more students would show for this dance than they had been in the past year and half.

As she turned she came face to face with an academia-styled girl who had lavender skin and long straight indigo hair. The girl seemed surprised to see her and the party planner felt the same.

She sucked in a huge gulp of air in excitement. There was a new student!

She pulled a party cannon out that looked to be from thin air, it shot out confetti as she went into song, “Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!” she bounced around the astonished girl, “Welcome to Canterlot High Todayyy!”

“Uh, Thank you, Pi-” The girl started but Pinkie's excitement took over, “Hey do you have a twin in the city with a dog just like this one?”

The taller girl hesitated, “Uhh, maybe?” her voice pitched.

“Thought so,” Pinkie said, satisfied. She then held her hand out, “Im Pinkie Pie-”

“I know,” she said matter of factly. The purple-themed girl opened her mouth to say something else only for Pinkie to cut her off again.

“You do?” Pinkie said astounded, “Are you a physic?”

“No,” she answered shortly, “I'm Twilight Sparkle. Do you know every pony in this school?”

Pinkie beamed, “Of course!” then her head tilted, a smile still on her face, “pony?”

The princess from another dimension blushed, “Uh, I meant body. Is there a Sunset Shimmer here?”

Pinkie bounced the heels of her platform pink Converse that laid over the top of her fizzy sky blue and white striped knee-high socks. The blue matched her short pant overalls that had many colored and iconed pins- including one that looked like her counterpart's cutie mark. The T-shirt under was white with hot pink trimming. Princess Twilight also noticed the girl had streamers and confetti poking out of her curls.

“Yes! Are you sure you're not a psychic who knows the names of every student in this school?” Pinkie asked, her eyes searching her skeptically.

“Yes I'm sure,” Princess Twilight laughed, already used to her version of Pinkie’s antics, “Where can I find her?”

She bounced back to her bubbly self and started skipping down the hall, “Probably at her locker, follow me, new Twilight!”

The princess followed but wondered curiously for a moment what this version of Pinkie Pie meant by ‘new’ Twilight. She didn't have too much time to wander as they turned down a hall and in the distance, she could see the girl with a one-of-a-kind flaming mane. She was talking to two other girls. They looked incredibly familiar. One with an unmistakable Stetson and the other with royally purple hair.

Anger bubbled in the Princess of Friendship's chest. Here was this treasonous mare that had stolen from her. And not just any little thing but Equestria's strongest defense weapon. If the crown were now damaged due to this pony’s consent, terrible decision-making, sad past or not, Twilight wasn't sure if she could be held accountable for where she would send her. Now, here she was, possibly doing something to manipulate creatures that were so similar to her friends at home. This whole situation was starting to feel personal in a way that she hadn't felt before. She had to stop this Sunset Shimmer and what she had planned to hurt these creatures along with her own kingdom

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Pinkie’s face turn from elation to concern as the princess stormed forward. Her fists clenched to her sides and her face corrupted with outrage.

“Sunset. Shimmer.!” Princess Twilight announced as she stomped her hind legs. The redhead tensed up before turning around with wide eyes.

“Twilight?” she whispered before her teal-colored eyes stretched open more. Like she had realized something.

The pony princess-turned-human took another step forward, “Return my crown, this instant!” she commanded.

Of course, students had stopped to stare at the commotion. Sunset's eyes flicked to the girls who looked like Rarity and Applejack then to the surrounding crowd.

The princess continued her declaration, “You'll be lucky if the Princess doesn't send you to Tartarus. Return the element-”

Sunset had lurched forward and cupped a hand over her mouth, “shut up.” Sunset harshly whispered.

The ringing of the morning bell had almost made her unheard. “Sunset, darling?” Rarity asked, concerned with the girls by her side, the same worry sat on their faces.

She turned to them and the crowd of her peers. When Sunset kept silent and turned back to the equestrian princess, she felt her flame of anger die. Admittedly, the fierceness in turquoise eyes had been intimidating.

“Just get to class, you guys.” Sunset bit out. Students who knew that tone too well listened and scattered. The three friends hesitated but ultimately listened.

The warning bell screamed at any lingering students and as soon as the aisle was cleared, Twilight started, “I won't repeat myself. Return-”

An irritation Sunset hadn't felt in weeks controlled her to grab the closed indigo bag on the princess’s back and drag her into the small secluded ray of unused locker that had flickering lights above. Sunset also knew that no camera had sight of this abandoned corridor. Thus she had used it many times for old threat sessions.

With a hard throw, Princess Twilight fell to the ground in the darkest corner. Before she could retaliate, the backpack had ripped itself open. As Sunset stomped forward, she watched a small purple dog jump in between them. He bared his teeth with a low growl, “Stay away.”

The threat did nothing as Sunset scoffed, “Should've he'd be with you,” she stopped in front of them, her shadow leaving them in more darkness.

“You can't go spouting about magic and Equestria in this place. You followed me here and yet you did no research?” she scoffed unimpressed and crossed her arms over her chest, “so much for being a ‘prized pupil.’” Sunset used her fingers as quotes on the last two words. Her voice the whole time was laced with disdain.

“And what are you?” Spike spat back while protecting the mare who raised him.

“Spike.” Princess Twilight said sharply as she stood up. Her violet eyes met ones of cold teal that didn't relent their animosity. The sun goddess's pupil didn't know what to think of this mare. Here stood the girl who had held her position before her as the highest place a unicorn could be. This same unicorn had been powerful. Incredibly powerful; to the point THE Princess Celestia knew she could be something great and encouraged her to pursue that. Why throw that away?

The bookish introvert had had problems with making friends for most of her life as well but she was able to move past it eventually. Why couldn't Sunset do the same when she had the same guidance as she did?

Of course, Twilight Sparkle knew there was more. Emotionally, and mentally. Maybe even parentally as Celestia had theorized. She could see it now. Yes, Sunset had an intimidating fire that even dragons wouldn't come near and her threats held something real. But Princess Twilight could still see the dark bags under her eyes. When she looked past the frosty stare that held hate... fear was there. Sunset Shimmer was hiding something, protecting something.

When all this was over, depending on Sunset's position in the theft of her powerful crown, she'd be happy to offer her friendship. It was clear she needed it. For the moment, Twilight knew it was necessary to stand her ground.

“Return my crown at once, Sunset Shimmer,” her tone shifted from stern to plea, “Why would you steal our most powerful weapon? You know what it means for us to lose it. I know things weren't well for you in Equestria-”

“You know nothing.” Sunset cut in. She closed her eyes and took a breath. Princess Twilight was left surprised as the amber-skinned girl made the move that she and her sister-in-law did.

“As for the crown, I have no idea what you are talking about. How pathetic is it that the princess can't keep track of her own crown.” Sunset rolled her eyes.

“You're lying. It's only you that could have knowledge to reopen the portal!”

Sunset's eyes went wide.

The princess continued, “I also saw your pin on your saddle bag, your shirt confirms it's your cutie mark,” she pointed at the wavy rayed sun on the former unicorn's magenta top.

Again, Sunset's eyes widened further with realization before her face fell into her hands. Spike growled again as soft giggling entered the space.

The leather wrapped around her shoulders shook as Sunset’s laughter grew. After a few moments of hysterics, she sighed. Her hands dragged down her face, showing how tired she was.

“I don't know anything about that damn portal or who took your crown. I sure as hell don't care either.” Sunset growled bitterly, “Do you even know what happens when an element of harmony is brought into another world?”

The newest princess hesitated and Sunset once again rolled her eyes, “Of course you don't,” eyes full of ice glared at her, “It dies out. With no magic, it has no source to keep it alive.”

A pang of fear made the princess nearly sick, “T-that's not true. You're lying again! I refuse to believe that!”

“Congrats princess,” Sunset said spitefully, placing her finger under the princess's chin, “because of your carelessness to protect your crown, Equestria will crumble. So much for being the star pupil.” Sunset swiped her head harshly with her finger before walking to the light before the voice she knew too well stopped her.

“You can not fool me, Sunset Shimmer. Your projecting is clear as Princess Celestia’s sunniest day.”

With her back to Princess Twilight, Sunset's eyes widened at the callout.

The princess continued, knowing she had struck a nerve, “I will find and reclaim my crown. If I find out it was you who stole it or if you do anything to oppose me, I will not hesitate to stop you. In whatever deems necessary.”

“Yeah, I'd like to see you try,” she said venomously with a glare that rivaled the sharpness of a royal guard sword before stomping away. Leaving the princess and her trusty companion in the dark at the end of the hall.

Author's Note:

Heyyy sorry for the wait, finals are next week, and studying/projects for it has been kicking my tired ass. I hope I made it worth it!

Also sorry this chapter is shorter. I did have plans to merge it with the next chapter but I felt this deserved her own moment to shine. Plus I didn't think the next chapter paired enough to keep them merged.

Anyway probably oversharing lol

Thanks for reading! :D

Comments ( 12 )

This is getting intense... wow

Slightly confused though, why is Pony Twi being so Angry and Brash, rather than trying to approach things calmly?

11884672
As I've been rewatching the show I noticed that young Twi is a lot more protective over her things and friends, she gets grumpy and irritated easily many times through out s1-s4. Like during the s2 finale when discord turns her friends to polar opposites. The spell hasn't even effected her, she's just annoyed by their sourness and she's practically does what she can to remove them from her. I can provide many more examples. She also has her moments of brashness like that in later seasons as well but definitely more chilled out.

I wanted to keep the perspective of her from the early seasons being thrown into a completely new and foreign world. She has no idea how much could be at steak or what's going on or where she is other than she has to track down something so incredibly important it put her home at risk.

She has a moment closer to the end of being calmer but, just like in earlier seasons, she loses her cool when she doesn't have a clear answer on how to achieve what needs to. For example, the tardy letter episode or the s3 opening when she grows neurotic and distant because she doesn't know how to prepare for the “test” Celestia was having her do.

I think that would make anybody ready to defend and protect themselves in whatever way they need to until they get home. I hope that makes sense and clears the reason why she appears hostile. :)

The former unicorn stood up and grazed her fingertips over the trailing plant. Just as she thought- a sheen of magical residue shimmered as enchantment caused it to grow expeditiously. Where was this magic coming from? And who had enough of it to spellbind plants into rapid, overgrowth?

I can guess Sci Twi's name is written all over it! :pinkiesad2:

Finally, they pushed through the front glass doors and the track star gasped as one-half of the sky was covered in rain clouds and the other half was perfectly sunny with no clouds to be seen. Sunset practically jumped down the front steps and towards the marked-off area where the school's mascot statue used to be.

Something is clearly not right!!! :applecry:

“Thought so,” Pinkie said, satisfied. She then held her hand out, “Im Pinkie Pie-”

"I'm Pinkie*

“I know,” she said matter of factly. The purple-themed girl opened her mouth to say something else only for Pinkie to cut her off again.

And here I thought she wouldn't do it. How wrong I was. :facehoof:

The princess followed but wondered curiously for a moment what this version of Pinkie Pie meant by ‘new’ Twilight. She didn't have too much time to wander as they turned down a hall and in the distance, she could see the girl with a one-of-a-kind flaming mane. She was talking to two other girls. They looked incredibly familiar. One with an unmistakable Stetson and the other with royally purple hair.

You might find out sooner than later what she meant. :unsuresweetie:

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Pinkie’s face turn from elation to concern as the princess stormed forward. Her fists clenched to her sides and her face corrupted with outrage.

Welp, this is it!!! :raritydespair:

“Yeah, I'd like to see you try,” she said venomously with a glare that rivaled the sharpness of a royal guard sword before stomping away. Leaving the princess and her trusty companion in the dark at the end of the hall.

Despite what happened just now, I'm still shocked Sunset acted like the way she did in the actual film. Reading this gave me the sensation she wouldn't. Afraid not. :ajsleepy:

11884715
That does make sense, thank you for explaining!

Will she cool down a bit as she realizes what is really going on?

Sunset is clearly a frayed rope at her wit's end. She did not address the most obvious question of How did you get here? Especially since she just saw the portal is going haywire. Once Sunset gets her gears turning again she needs to march on Twi's house. She has to realize that girl is the only one who could have reestablished the link to Equestria.

THIS IS MY FAV STORY RN

Sollys #9 · 1 week ago · · ·

RAHHHH I LOVE THIS

This was definitely worth waiting for!
I’m so glad that you updated! This story is addicting heheh!
I’m very excited for the next chapter~!
:scootangel:

Just want to say I’m really enjoying this. :)

YAYYY UPDATEE

“No,” she answered shortly, “I'm Twilight Sparkle. Do you know every pony in this school?”

twilighttt we dont say that :rainbowderp:

The newest princess hesitated and Sunset once again rolled her eyes, “Of course you don't,” eyes full of ice glared at her, “It dies out. With no magic, it has no source to keep it alive.”

WHATTT NO WAYY...

really happy about the new chapter!! also i think finals are getting a hold of everyone :ajsmug: and remember to not rush urself!!! if anything i think we're all willing to wait for the next chapter :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment