• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,554 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,554

13. We Are A Forgiving Group

Sunset Shimmer scratched at her fiery mane in frustration.

‘How old was Geography Washington when he cut down the cherry tree?’

How in Platinum’s pointed horn was she supposed to know that and what was even the relevancy of it?!

Sunset threw her hands over her face before rubbing the underbags of her eyes. She already felt mentally exhausted and over this assignment and she was only two questions in.

A coffee cup and double fudge cookie were placed beside her on a napkin over the table, “Are you okay? You look stressed, Shimmy.” Twilight voiced as she sat on the other side of the table.

Usually, the bookshop and café’s atmosphere and smell were perfect for the easily agitated female to focus and study. Unfortunately, this world’s history subject continued to aggravate her in a way that couldn’t be forgiven.

“Shimmy?” Sunset questioned. Her sour mood made her tone shorter than she meant. She realized it when Twilight recoiled a bit.

“Sorry, I wanted to try something new and I thought it was cute.” Twilight pushed up her glasses to hide her embarrassment.

Sunset shook her head before rubbing her temple, “No, I’m sorry. I don’t mean to snap at you, Sparkes. I’m just stressed.”

The young genius leaned over after pulling out her own home assignment binder, “What’s got you stumped?”

The redhead, embarrassed to admit she was having trouble with a school subject, covered the paper with her hand, “Nothing serious. I just need to study more.”

Twilight's eyes were full of concern, “Shimmy, it's okay to struggle a little, we all do.”

Sunset looked at her partner with skepticism, “Oh yeah? What does my little genius struggle with?”

Lavender cheeks dusted to pink, “Uhh, gym.”

“That doesn’t count.” Sunset shook her head.

Twilight's eyes popped behind her thick rems in astonishment at the statement, “What do you mean?”

Sunset set her mocha frappe back on the napkin after taking a sip, “You don’t actually learn anything in the class. A ‘coach’ that can’t even run themself just yells at students to either run in circles or throw rubber balls at each other. You are not actually taught how to exercise or how to keep in shape.”

The shorter girl tapped her pencil to her lips, “That’s… actually very true. Huh, I never really thought about it.”

Sunset shrugged, “I had to learn human health through the internet. We had a textbook but we barely looked at it,” she took the last bite of her cookie, “I bet if we actually learned, you would outstand the subjects just like you do all the others.”

Twilight blushed and looped her curled side piece of hair around her finger, “I… suppose you're correct.”

The smugness that the past bully hadn’t felt in a long time made her cross her arms over her puffed chest, “Of course, I am, Sparkes.”

The girls settled into their study date, with Twilight scrawling her pencil quickly over her calculus homework, seemingly barely even needing to think about what she was writing down. Sunset, on the other hand, slowly chipped at her history work, flipping back and forth through many pages in her textbook.

After finally completing the tenth question of her assignment, Sunset took a moment to recollect her history-fried brain. Her teal-colored eyes lead her to the lavender-skinned girl in front of her. Sunset’s watchful eye noticed the bone of her friend's racing wrist was much less prominent. Which was good. Sunset didn’t realize her worry over Twilight’s scrawniness until then. Her mind shifted to her school and her guilt tied to it. She thought about this question many times. Who was she to sit here and enjoy time with her friend when someone kind and innocent like Fluttershy was most likely either sitting at home alone or just surrounding herself with fellow lonely critters? She needed and wanted to fix the terrible actions that she made in blinded anger and jealousy.

“Sparkes, can I ask you for advice?” Sunset asked, trying to keep as much anger that she felt towards herself out of her voice as she could, which was proving difficult.

“Hm?” She simply hummed back, too concentrated to fully engage her table partner. Instead, Sunset waited for Twilight to be done in order to ensure her full attention. In the meantime, she managed to get two more questions answered.

When she heard the crack of overworked fingers Sunsets looked up to see Twilight stretching her arms above her head. Sunset blushed and looked away from the smaller mounds stretching the light blue blouse.

“I’m sorry, Shimmy. What did you need earlier?” Twilight asked, bringing her arms back down. Apparently, she did not notice Sunset’s blush. Honestly, Sunset wasn't sure with a slight, very slight, smirk on the nerd’s lips.

“I… I want to fix something wrong that I did.” Sunset said shyly.

Twilight focused her ears on the former spellcaster, “That’s good to hear! What do you want to do.”

“Well I am such a giant, terrible, retched person that I broke apart a really good group of friends and I think I need to admit it’s my fault they aren't friends anymore and help them be friends again,” Sunset said, almost too quickly.

Twilight pushed up her glasses and used her hands on the table to list her points “First off, was not am, and even in the past, I wouldn't say you were… terrible or retched. Controlling with a side of light bullying? Yes. Secondly, that shouldn't be too hard. I’m sure it’ll mean so much with the truth coming directly from you.”

“Twilight, I was a bully. There’s nothing light about that.” Sunset said sadly, pulling at her fingers.

“I, somewhat, disagree. You never physically assaulted anyone or their belongings, as you’ve iterated yourself before.” Twilight said sternly, tapping at Sunset’s hand to make the girl stop her pulling habit.

“Is that what defines a bully to you? You don't think I was a good bully?” False offense entered her voice.

Twilight giggled, “No. Well, picking on someone or taking lunch money is never a good thing. The important thing is that you want to make up for that. Which most bullies don't.”

“Oh yeah?,” Sunset leaned across the table, her arms under her breast, purposely pushing out of her leather jacket. If Twilight could deliberately flaunt she’d learn that Sunset could do it better, “You want me to throw you into the wall and make you give me all your lunch money?”

It worked as Twilight’s face turned cherry red and vacuumed air in through her nostrils, trying her hardest not to let her eyes flick down. Twilight failed.

Sunset's face soon flushed making them both red before she burst into giggles. Twilight smiled at the adorable high-pitched giggles of the other girl. How was this girl ever a bully? How could her classmates when she was young ever treat her so poorly?

Soon the girl calmed down before anybody in the bookstore and cafe could shush her. They spent the rest of their evening hour constructing a revision plan and taking out the rest of that week's homework.

What Sunset never noticed was two pairs of eyes across the café sending knowing glances.

When Sunset dropped her best friend off at home another goodbye kiss on her cheek left her feeling warm and fuzzy, which continued as she played with her kitten until they fell asleep.


As usual, Sunset stepped into the school on the early Tuesday morning. Before she arrived she stopped at the twenty-four hour corner store to gather all the supplies she would need for today. Thanks to her past skills in stalking, Sunset knew exactly who would be at their lockers first to last. Some she would have to work fast, like Rainbow Dash for example. The girl was at the early morning track meeting and usually was done five minutes after Sunset would arrive. Luckily for Sunset’s step counter, Dash’s locker was across the school.

So, she hustled and managed to reach the soccer ball and rainbow-decorated locker with two minutes to spare. The redhead unlocked the athlete's locker- don’t worry about how- and rolled her eyes at the disorganized mess of random papers and socks. She then pulled out a flaming guitar pick, one from her collection, and placed it on top of a note in the eye level shelf before sneaking away.

Next she slipped into the home economics room. She knew the curly pink haired hyper girl would stop in the room first thing in the morning, what for? Sunset never cared enough to stay that long. Careful amber-colored hands pulled the item out of a paper bag and placed down the fudge brownie with pink frosting and sprinkles on the center cooking counter, under it was a similar note.

Luckily, a certain shy girl's locker with dogs, bunnies, and butterflies all over it was near. Admittedly, Sunset felt guilty about breaking into the animal caretakers locker but it was for a good cause, she told herself as she placed another small piece of paper with a message on it and a similar brownie and note inside.

Fortunately, once again, by that time Rarity hadn’t got to her locker yet. Sunset’s time calculation and planning still proved strong as she knew that the designer and farmer always stopped by the ivory skinned girls locker first as it was close to the front doors. So, the former bully slipped in a red apple with a note.


“Oop, it looks like you're gonna owe me that ten bucks, Bonni.” Lyra Heartstrings said confidently as she leaned against the metal wall of lockers.

Bon-Bon looked up from her notebook she had grabbed from her locker, “Hm, nope.”

Lrya looked at her with her mouth agape in confusion, “What do you mean no? Look at her! She has a big doopy smile on her face while staring at her phone.”

“I don’t disagree that the other girl with Sunset Shimmer was her girlfriend but that doesn’t mean she’s getting laid.” Bon-Bon said.

The bluish-mint-skinned girl stared at her partner in astonishment and threw her arms out in the fiery girl’s direction, who was too busy typing away on her phone at her locker to notice, “What do you mean?! It is the only thing that explains why she is suddenly so chill and quiet now!”

“Please, That smile is too dopey. She looks more like a love-sick puppy than someone who's been eating out a purple popsicle.” Bon-Bon elucidated as she grabbed her pencil bag.

Lyra leaned back into the wall, “Hmm, I guess I can see what you're talking about. You think she'd be bottom or top?”

Sweetie Drops looked at the former tyrant again, “A definite switch.”

Lyra giggled at her girlfriend's analysis.

“Good morning, ladies.” an Atlantic accent greeted. The girls were met with Rarity and her personal farmer at the royal-purple-haired girl’s locker.

“Good morning,” they said in unison.

Then the stetson wearer asked in her thick country accent, “What's got yew two so giggly?”

“Shimmer’s got a new girlfriend. We're trying to decide if she's a switch or not.” Lyra answered nonchalantly.

“We think that's why she's all, ‘Oh, being a big bitch is a no-no,’ now.” The navy blue and hot pink-haired female clarified.

Rarity and Applejack looked at each other stunned, then back to the other couple, “H-How do you know this, darling?”

Bon-Bon answered as she closed her locker, tucking her school supplies into her chest, “We saw her getting all flirty with another girl at Nooks and Books. If they were trying to hide it, they didn't do a good job.”

Rarity held a hand to her mouth, trying to cover her smile while Applejack bashfully adjusted her hat, “Well Ah guess that explains the sudden change. This girl must be something special to tame the fire of that dragon.”

Lyra and Bon-Bon smiled at them and then smirked at each other both giving a farewell and walking off down the hall.

Rarity clicked open her locker as she watched the redhead they had been talking about remove her nose from her phone as two boys with wide smiles ran up to her.

“Well, well. How wonderful,” she laughed to herself, “The school bully got remade by a school outsider and they fell in love. What a beautiful sapphic story.” Rarity held a hand to her cheek and looked off dreamily.

“Uh, Rares, Ah hate to interrupt your dream time but ya got somethin’ in your locker.”

Sapphire-eyes finally focused on the contents of the metal container and saw a large bright apple. “Oh Applejack! This one came out splendid! See, I told you there was no need to worry, darling.”

“Uhhh, Rarity, Ah didn't put that there,” Applejack said as she tapped on the note, “What's that say?”

Rarity picked up the note, “It says, ‘Time to settle things once and for all. Meet me in Music Room 2 during lunch. Applejack too.’ Goodness, what's this all about?”

“Ya think it's one of,” Emerald-green eyes rolled in disdain, “them.”

“Possibly. I suppose there's only one way to find out, darling.” Rarity said with a similar sourness.

“Ah guess, if your wantin’ to check it out, I'll follow ya.” Applejack said.

Rarity smiled, “Agreed, darling.”


Rainbow dash skidded to her locker with a towel still around her shoulders. The track meet lasted much longer than usual making her have less time to shower the sweat off. Usually, she didn't care but last time students and teachers complained, which meant a very awkward talk with the head and vice Principal. Rainbow definitely didn't want to deal with that again. Especially not after Sunset-ugly lava head with feet that looked more like hooves—Shimmer plastered it all over the school and students either giggled or looked at her disgusted for weeks.

When the track star flung open her locker she barely noticed the new contents in it. The only way was when the note flew into her face from the force of her opening the green metal door. She plucked it off and held it up to read the letter.

‘Time to finally settle the score, Dash. I'll be waiting in Music Room 2 during lunch.’

Rainbow Dash glared at the note. There was no signature and honestly, she had a couple of ideas of who this note could be from. Glide Griffin, Applejack, or Sunset Shimmer. Whichever one of the three was about to get a nasty taste of their own medicine.


A shake and a knee twitch. Something important was going to happen today. Pinamenia Diane Pie knew it. She also knew it had something to do with Sunset Shimmer. A person that used to be on the very short list of people Pinkie would stay clear of. Usually, she knew everyone. She knew what they liked and disliked, their hobbies, their fears and how to make them smile and laugh. Not with some people though. It might be different in other, happier worlds but in this one Pinkie had learned some people you just can't teach to laugh.

Nowadays, Pinkie felt herself feeling guilty. She used to think the fireball, known as Sunset Shimmer, was one of them. She had been proven wrong as someone had done it. Broken through to the bully and now she wasn't a big meanie anymore. Pinkie was sad she didn't get to help and was that doubtful towards her.

The bubbly pink-skinned girl arrived at her baking class before the teacher, like on most mornings. She liked to come in and leave a treat for the teacher and her classes.

When she unlocked the door, Pinkie was surprised to find the door had already been unlocked. Maybe Mrs.Cake had gotten there early? Usually, she dealt with the morning rush at SugarCube Corner before coming in, it was possible today could have been slower with the wind getting colder.

That theory popped like a balloon when a single brownie with pink frosting and rainbow sprinkles looked her in the eyes.

“Hello, there creation of goodness,” Pinkie Pie said as she stepped up to the chocolate treat, “Either the brownie God has sent you with a mission that only I can complete, or somebody was feeling extra kind today.”

The either-or was answered as she picked up the note,

‘Dear Pinkie Pie,
I gifted you this treat in hopes of lifting your spirits enough that you'd join me in Music Room 2 during lunch. There you will find a (hopefully) good surprise.’

Pinkie hummed and tapped her pointer finger to her lip, the note had no signature. So, the possibility of the sender being the brownie God wasn't totally out of the question. The party planner beamed and her hair tripled in size behind her as confetti shot out, “Ooooooh! I'm so nervocited!”


Fluttershy kept her head down as she stepped quietly into the school full of other students. She had just finished feeding breakfast to the squirrels and bunnies outside the large educational building. Her light pink sheet of hair covered the vision of her right eye as she watched her worn black Converse with pink roses carry her down the hall. The teenager, quietly and unobtrusively as she could, opened the creaky locker. She gasped as she was met with a treat she was expecting greeted her. Fluttershy noticed the note next to the sweet snack and picked it up,

‘Dear Fluttershy,
If you're willing, please come to Music Room 2 during lunch. I'd like to fix things.’

She flipped the note only to find it blank. The note had no signature. Fluttershy had no idea who this could be but she did have hopes. The corners of her mouth extended into a grateful smile.


“Miss Sunset!!!” A male raspy called.

Sunset jumped back as a piece of paper was practically kissing her face. If it was purple she might not have minded.

“Ah ha ha!” the taller freshman with orange burnt skin laughed, “look at we found out!” he said slower than the average person.

‘No Sunset. We don’t think like that anymore.’ She chastised herself. Sunset took a deep breath before looking back at what Snips was shoving in her face. In front of her was a zoomed in photo of two males kissing, obviously in what they thought was privately. The one with blue curly hair was a popular jock on the track team and the other was a nerdy-looking kid with a bowl cut. Her jaw dropped in shock and pushed the photo away, “Throw that out!” She whispered harshly.

Snips and Snails looked confused, “Why?” They asked in confusion.

Sunset held up her pointer finger, “First, we don’t out people. It’s ridiculous that this is the forth time I’ve told you that,” she then threw up another digit, “Second… I- we aren't doing this anymore.”

Snails spoke first, “Uuuuhhh, is this about the whole statue thing? Cause we thought that was cool!”

Snips laughed, “Yeah! That was awesome!”

Sunset felt a wrestling ball of frustration beginning to form in her chest. She took another deep breath in an attempt to dispel it. Due to Sunset's apparent short supply of luck, it didn’t work, “It wasn’t-“ the short-tempered girl threw a hand over her eyes before pinching the bridge of her nose.

“Listen,” she said breathlessly before bringing her hands together and using them pointedly, “I- I really don’t like the person I was before, frankly, I was an asshole. I'm working on that, it’s not something I want anymore.”

The boys blinked at her so she continued.

“I’ve been a bad influence on you guys. Go find a new hobby and friend. We- I won’t expose or hurt anyone anymore. You shouldn’t either.”

Snips pouted, “Aw, but that was fun. Are you sure?”

Sunset flailed her arms in anger shock, “Yes! I’m sure! Now, go!”

The freshman boys ran off and a couple passing student’s sent them and then Sunset odd looks. The redhead rubbed the back of her neck, abashed.

“Miss Shimmer,” a voice that the former unicorn knew for most of her life said, making the girl stand to attention before she whipped around.

“P-prince- Principal!” Sunset blushed as she shrunk in on herself, beginning to pull at her fingers, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to lose my temper, a minute ago. I-I just- it was- they- I-“

Sunset stammered until Celestia put up a hand to stop her, “Miss Shimmer, there’s no reason to fear, you are not in trouble. I’m aware those two can be… difficult.”

Sunset kept her eyes to the floor and Celestia felt hurt. Not the girl wouldn’t look at her, but that someone had made her feel that she couldn’t relax and be comfortable around adult figures.

“I just wanted to check in on you. I apologize I wasn’t able to yesterday, things were… busy yesterday.” Celestia said, hoping to get the redheaded teenager to at least relax a bit, apparently, it didn’t work when she grew a guilty look on her face and started tugging harshly on the pointer, middle, and ring finger of her left hand, alternating between them.

“Because of me?” She whispered.

Based on the teen's stress Celestia wouldn’t tell her the complete truth. Yes, Celestia was dealing with getting the school's statue remade, but that wasn't the only drama for the school. Helicopter parents were especially trying Celestia the past couple of days.

“No, Sunset,” finally teal-colored eyes looked at her and the woman placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, “There’s no need to worry. Please, relax.”

It was then the bell rang, cutting the principal short. “Try to have a good day. If you need or want to talk about anything, please don’t hesitate to come to me or Luna, okay?”

The past intimidator looked at her, as if trying to read if the adult was lying to her before nodding slowly.

“Good, now, get to class. Also, stop pulling your fingers.” Celestia smiled as she walked away.


Sunset watched from the practice room door’s window across from the Music Room as the girls she had been corralling finally met. Impressively, it had all mostly been around the same time. Rainbow Dash was first, and looking ready for a fight. Then it was Pinkie, and they just stared at each other questioningly, before they could get anything out Fluttershy and Rarity with Applejack, met in front of the door.

“What in the hell are you doing here?!” Rainbow yelled, pointing an accusatory finger at Applejack.

“Me? Ah'm the one who was bid to be here.” Her thick accent replied.

“No, I-” Rainbow started but was cut off.

“What do you mean you were invited?!” Pinkie shouted, “I'm the one who got a memo from the brownie God!”

That caused a pause of silence as the girls looked at her weirdly and Fluttershy sighed, “Can you take anything seriously?” she started to walk away, “I should have known.”

Sunset pushed the door open, “Wait! Fluttershy, please don't leave!”

Fluttershy looked shocked at first but it quickly changed to confusion. Before she could ask, Sunset led her back to the room where the girls were arguing loudly.

“Girls-!” Sunset attempted to intervene but none had heard her.

“Please!” Rarity started, “You're the one who refuses to listen to others, Pinkie Pie! I've attempted emails to help festoon school functions but you always refuse!”

Pinkie opened her mouth to retort, only to be over shouted.

“Me a liar?!” Rainbow shouted, angrily, “You're the one who lied about the date! We showed up but you weren't there! You made me waste the team's time!”

Sunset stepped further into the room as shouts continued, “Girls, Please!”

They either didn't hear, or ignored as they continued to shout over each other.

“It's not mah fault yah can't pay attention to dates!”

“I never got any emails! Maybe check who you're sending too!”

“Ugh!” Rarity scoffed in offense before starting her argument.

It was clear that the shouting was starting to get to Fluttershy as she curled in on herself. It was getting to Sunset as well as she curled her fist in agitation from being ignored. Then again, this was her handy work. Two months ago she would have been on the floor rolling in gleeful laughter.

“Stop! It was me!” Sunset yelled, her booming voice echoing around the room. The girls stared at her, bewildered. With their attention now in her grasp she continued, “It was all me, okay.”

Her voice lowered and she couldn't help the defeat and guilt in her voice, “Rarity, Pinkie is right. She never saw any emails. I would hack into her email account and send the rejection and then delete the messages before she saw it.” Sunset, then turned to Applejack and Rainbow Dash, who both had grabbed onto each other's collars, “Rainbow I sent you that fake message from Apolehack and purposely gave you the wrong date.”

She looked at all of them one by one, “I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.”

Applejack broke from the astonishment of the truth first, “So, yew’r tellin’ me is that me Dash missing the fundraiser date is your fault?”

Sunset shook her head up and down, “Mm-hm.”

Then Rarity spoke, “And that my emails to offer Pinkie Pie help never went through because you would delete them?”

The center sighed and nodded again, “Yep.”

The posh female placed her hands on her hips, “…Well, I don't know what to say.”

Rainbow seemed to when she opened her mouth to take a shot, “I gotta give it to you Shimmer. That's some pretty sneaky shit with good hacking skills.”

Fluttershy spoke next, “So… you mean to me, this was all a big miscommunication?”

The silence in the room was loud at the realization.

Pinkie tapped her chin, “So, if we had just talked to each other and asked questions in the beginning, we would have realized what happened and never fought in the first place?”

Sunset frowned at the statement and suddenly found herself thankful for youthful ignorance and naivety.

“Right,” Rainbow sighed and walked up to Fluttershy, “I'm sorry Flutters. I was fighting with Applejack, and let that take me away from you just because you wanted me to work it out. Now I know it wasn't even for a real reason and you were right.”

Fluttershy spontaneously wrapped her arms around the athlete, surprising her, “It's okay, Dashie. I'm just glad we can be friends again.” Her voice cracked with the tears building in her eyes.

Pinkie Pie joined their hug, “Me too! We need to throw a ‘Yay after years of hating each other we love each other and are friends again’ party!!”

The odd couple laughed and joined the hug. Joy and warmth that only friendship could muster filled the room, Sunset tiptoed her way to the exit.

“Hey!” Rainbow Dash called. Sunset froze, her nerves making her heart race at all the horrible things the speedster was about to say about her. She deserved to hear it. Probably needed to as well.

“Aren't you gonna join us?”

That made Sunset's heart skip a bit and she turned back to Rainbow, “Are you joking?”

The girls in the group smiled at her, Fluttershy stepped forward and offered her hand, “Not at all. You brought us together, and made us realize our mistake.”

Sunset's head fogged with confusion, a feeling she hated, “But I'm the one who tore you apart in the first place.”

“Well, sugar cube, in all honesty, reckon we had just talked things out. We wouldn't have had been fighting fer so long anyways.” Applejack explained.

“Yes, darling. We aren't pure in this situation either. We all did things we weren't proud of.” Rarity backed up.

Sunset felt that terrible feeling of her eyeballs stinging, “But I'm a terrible person. I've done other things. How can you just forgive me?”

Pinkie Pie magically appeared behind her and hugged her, “Because you want to be a better person, Silly! That already means so much!”

A tear dropped to her cheek, “Really?” Sunset's voice crack that made her even more embarrassed.

Rainbow Dash smiled despite her eye roll, “Don't get all touchy, Shimmer.”

Sunset was pulled into a group hug. It was an odd sensation that she had never felt, but one that she found herself happy with and that made her laugh. She couldn't wait to tell Twilight about this later!

“By the way, you owe me a Dodgeball rematch.” Rainbow declared.

Author's Note:

Heyyy party goers!

This chapter was super duper-fun to write! I really hope you enjoyed it.

I had fun with the forgiving scene cause when I was a kid I was like yeah meanie Sunset! But as an adult I'm just like, why didn't they just ask what happened? They allowed that fight and separation because? What? Petty teenagers are petty?

Which low-key is pretty realistic.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed I'm really excited for the leading climax and the drama that's gonna ensue later. :trixieshiftright:

Thoughts, comments, questions and concerns are welcomed :)