• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,554 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,554

7. Hearts Glimpse

“Where in the world are we going? It’s starting to get stinky,” Twilight asked as she was dragged along by Sunset with a leather jacket over her head.

The redhead, “You’ll see we’re almost there.”

After a few moments, Twilight found herself walking on asphalt to suddenly gravel. The stink of burning iron and trash follicles filled her nose.

“Okay, Gadget-girl, don’t freak out when you see this,” Sunset’s sunshiney warm voice said as it recently began to make Twilight’s stomach flutter.

The indigo-haired girl giggled, “I make no promises!” She said as the jacket was removed from her head. Brightness was the first thing that filled her vision before the world returned to reveal a junkyard.

“It’s a… junkyard?” Twilight asked in confusion.

Sunset smiled and opened the chain fence, “Yep,” she said as she walked further in, “You and I are going to be building something.”

That statement was the only thing needed to excite the scientific engineer, “Is it a microwave? You still need to show me how you did that!”

The redhead rolled her eyes playfully and chuckled, “Nope, it’s something I’ve been researching and wanting for a while now. Basically, since I learned about them.”

Twilight clasped her hands behind her back as she followed along at the fiery-haired girl’s side with her anticipation growing, looking around the yard she could see why Sunset brought her here. There were many scraps and parts she could scavenge to use for her inventions or even improve the appliances around the house.

“So what is it?” The bespectacled girl asked excitedly. Sunset turned to her and pulled out her wallet before pulling out a card.

Twilight's eyes quickly glazed over the text as she read the stated information, “A motorcycle permit?”

Sunset grinned giddy, “Yep, got this baby a few months ago with my license. At first I thought I wouldn’t get to use it since it takes six months before the test and the way to my home is about to available really soon, but…” she tapped a finger against the plastic government issued card, “things have changed, obviously, so now I want to build a motorcycle and learn to ride, legally this time, at least.”

Twilight’s eyes brightened, as she chose to ignore the last part, “That sounds like so much fun!” A certain statement in Sunset’s explanation stopped her though, “What do you mean about ‘your home being available soon’?”

The secretive girl's smile faltered, “Well it’s no secret that I’m not from here. It’s hard to explain… I plan on visiting where I’m from in about a week. I’m hoping to talk to my parents and someone else important to me. I don’t know what’s going to come of that though.”

“Oh,” Twilight said, trying not to sound disappointed as an unreadable frown sat on Sunset’s face, “That’s okay! I’ll be here waiting for you when you come back.”

Sunset looked at her, with something Twilight couldn’t decipher. The lavender skinned girl had no clue she had said something the redhead needed to hear, and not for the first time, or last.

A lavender finger tapped her chin as organizational plans began to fill her brain along with the moving engineer gears in her brain, “This is going to be quite a project!”

“I know,” Sunset then pulled a booklet out of her bag, “I have all these research notes and instructions with visual and textual details all about.”

Dear Aphrodite, in the clouds above, this girl was perfect in every way Twilight could ever ask for.

“Ready to get started?” Sunset asked.

Twilight beamed and vigorously shook her head.

The chilly air was found to be a wonderful assistant as the two girls gathered any scraps they could use to succeed in their building operation. Gathering many supplies that could be transformed into the required vehicle bike parts, violet-eyes found themselves watching her redheaded partner as she made her way back to Sunset from across the junkyard. Sunset was using a measuring tape against metal scraps and poles before looking back at her research notes. Twilight found herself smiling at the way her only human friend- with her only other friend being her dog, had her tongue slightly poking out the side as she was in heavy focus and concentration.

“Sunny I found some cushions that could be used for the seats, they need a little TLC but we can make it work. I also found a disk brake, cast alloy wheel, and a large mirror we can cut down with the proper tools to make for the bike’s mirrors. Oh, plus an air filter!”

Sunset smiled at her with her bright teal eyes shimmering in the sunlight, “Awesome! I have a ton of pipes and metal sheets to use for the two crash bars, exhaust pipe, fender, and telescopic fork. Luckily, my school has a welding class with the proper tools that I’m sure I can use.”

The lavender-skinned girl quirked a brow, “With permission, right?”

She already knew the answer when Sunset's face dropped into an expression like she had been caught, “Um, yeah.”

Twilight placed her hands on her hips and gave Sunset a scrutinizing look. The leather-clad female put her hands up halfway in surrender, “Alright, alright, I’ll get permission.”

A smile brightened the scientist's face, “Good.”

Sunset rolled her eyes but a small smile stayed on her face as she returned to writing down measurements. Twilight lowered down to sit on her knees across from her as she began to help.

Only a couple of hours passed by before the girls decided to call their work for the first day complete. Sunset stood up and stretched her hands above her head. Twilight averted her eyes, not wanting to make herself blush. When she brought her eyes back to Sunset, the other was looking toward the sun with a longing look in her eyes.

“Hey Sunset?,” Twilight said gently causing the complex female to look at her, “Do you want to watch the sunset, Sunset?”

Twilight started giggling as the redhead deadpanned, “No, not when you ask me like that.”

The response made Twilight giggle even more.

“Come on, Gadget-girl,” Sunset lowered a hand out to her, offering to help the other girl up, “I know a good view.”

Twilight accepted the help and allowed Sunset to pull her along. She blushed as their hands continued to be intertwined. The two came up to the small concrete building sitting at the edge of the yard.

“Is this allowed? What if an employee catches us?” Twilight asked, nervous as she watched Sunset start to climb up the building, again having to avert her eyes. Sunset was smart to wear jeans.

The redhead looked down at her and smirked, “Yes, it’s allowed- or at least I’ve never gotten in trouble for it.”

A lavender-colored hand grabbed onto the window sill and lifted her body up, “Never gotten in trouble or never caught?”

“Tomato, tomahto.” Sunset replied.

When Sunset reached the top she plopped down on the roof, her legs hanging over the edge. She had an amused smile as she watched Twilight pretend to not struggle with the small climb before she sat beside Sunset on the edge. Her skinny lavender legs swung slightly in the air from having no ground under them.

“This reminds me of a story my parents like to tell me,” Twilight said as she watched the bright sun begin to fall behind the horizon causing the sky to turn colors of purple, red, and orange, “On their first date they walked down the long bridge of the Canterlot river during the sunset. Apparently, Dad had been so infatuated with Mom he walked right off the pier by accident and landed in the water. Mom still laughs so much telling that story.”

The unicorn turned human admired the way the golden hour highlighted all of Twilight’s cutest features. Her round nose tip, her smaller plumb lips and the random strands of indigo hair in a ponytail that now looked white due to the golden hour. Despite the slightly swollen darker right eye, she still radiated positivity and adorable beauty.

Sunset huffed a small sigh, “My parents never told me any lovey dovey date stories. They probably don’t have any now that I think about it.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked curiously.

“Their marriage was arranged,” she explained. Sunset spoke again as she saw the sad look on the other girl's face, “I don’t think it bothers them though. We’re from a noble family line so that’s normal and they both are too work oriented to care about love. They’ve always encouraged striving for greatness. To them relationships and friends were just things that distracted you from being successful.”

Twilight looked off in thought, “Do… you agree with that?”

Sunset was quiet for a moment, “I don’t know. If you had asked me a month ago I would have said yes so quickly. I um,” the redhead started to play with the cuff of her leather sleeve, “I had a teacher that heavily encouraged friends. I always tried to make the friends she wanted me to but, I’m just impossible to like or get along with, heh,” she sadly laughed.

Twilight leaned a bit forward to make Sunset look her in the eye, “What makes you think that?”

Teal colored eyes that were becoming glossy flitted back down to her to fingers playing with her sleeve, “I um, I thought I had made a genuine friend one time but, they ended up not meaning any of it,” the redhead blinked away the wetness in her eyes, “That was the most humiliating day of my life,” she said quietly.

Twilight placed her hand over Sunset’s in comfort, “I’m here to listen if you want to talk about.”

Sunset looked at her with an astonishment that should never be on someone’s face when told they can talk about their feelings.

The moment she opened her mouth the words began to fly out.


A golden filly with a curly fiery mane and tail sat quietly at her desk as she read straight out of her textbook during the recess hours.

The other fillies in her grade played and giggled outside the window on the playground. This was the usual for the little filly. Despite trying her best to make even just one friend like the princess of the sun pushed, she failed. It often ended in the other foal’s disliking her. She wasn’t sure what made everypony so innate to dislike her but it was obvious to everypony else.

As Sunset Shimmer was so entranced by the words in her textbook, she hadn’t noticed the sound of a set of hooves entering the room.

“Hello!” A young voice greeted her.

Sunset looked around the room for a moment and was surprised the new filly in the room wasn’t talking to anypony else, “Um, can I help you?”

The new filly had a butterscotch coat and a lilac mane and tail with streaks of white and slight curls at the ends. She smiled at Sunset, “I wanted to know if you wanted to come and play!”

Filly Sunset was taken aback, “Who are you?” She said defensively.

“Silly, I’m Upper Crust, daughter of the Crust family and heir of Crust corporations,” she said proudly.

From there, the filly pulled Sunset along to the playground and encouraged her to play. At first she was weary but she soon found herself having fun with the light yellow unicorn. The rest of her week consisted of playing with the other unicorn. She was not exactly as skilled in magic-or school as Sunset was but it was still exciting to have a playmate!

They played dolls, games and did school work together. The proud smile and look in Princess Celestia’s eyes always made Sunset swell with pride and happiness. That reaction was always something she craved anything else she hated and would scramble to fix it. At any cost. That’s why she had yet to mention it in her letters to her parents, she knew they wouldn’t exactly be approving.

Friday, the school had a field trip planned for Sunset's entire grade to tour a Ponyville farm. The town Ponyville, laid not far from below Canterlot’s mountain perch. Apparently this trip would help the young unicorns to understand where the most natural and basic magic happens.

Sunset sat next to Upper Crust on the transport carriage being flown down to the small country town by a pair of pegasi guards.

Upper was brushing through her feiry mane and tail and then braiding them, “This way we’ll fit in the country look of Ponyville!”

Sunset giggled, “Whatever you say! I’m so excited.”

“What are you most excited for?” Upper Crust asked as she looped a hair tie around the braid of Sunset’s tail.

“Honestly, I’m most excited to just enjoy this with you.”

Upper Crust was silent for a moment, “Aw, that’s so sweet,” she said as she finished Sunset's mane braids, her tiny bangs and loose curls framing her round equine face.

As three dozen baby unicorns toured through the farm Sunset excitedly spouted random magic facts to Upper Crust. Unfortunately the other filly appeared to be paying less and less attention and she kept her eyes off to the side or towards other classmates. Sunset pretended not to notice though, blaming it on her nervous tendencies or maybe even insecurities.

“Hey Sunset, do you want to try feeding the pigs?” Upper Crust finally said with a slyness to her voice.

Sunset smiled, “Yeah, Sure!” In all honesty she wasn’t interested in the slightest but if it was what her friend wanted, then she’d do it, “I just don’t know how, do you?”

Upper Crust trotted towards the pig pen and pointed her head towards a long rope that hung on the horizontal part on top of a tall pole. Her magic aura encased one end on the rope, “Here I’ll show you,” she offered with an off smile.

Sunset gave a nervous smile back, “O-okay.”

What she didn’t notice was the other foals starting to crowd around as they giggled and whispered.

The rope wrapped around her, starting with under her forlegs and around the girth of her barrel, “Alright, this is going to lift you up above the pen and you just use your magic to lift their food and put it into the feeder,” Upper grinned.

‘Why couldn’t she just use her magic from the ground?’ Sunset thought.

Upper must have sensed Sunsets questioned, “Earth ponies don’t have magic, we have to do at least one part of this how they do.”

Sunset felt herself beginning to be lifted up, “O-oh, okay.”

As she reached the top she focused her teal-colored aura around the bucket full of pig food and levitated it above the long wooden feeder. The pigs stopped rolling playfully in their own waste and mud and oinked in excitement for their feeding. Unfortunately, she didn’t get the chance to notice a colt quietly walking up with a pair of scissors in his aura. As Sunset began to tip the feeder the rope was cut and the colt flipped around to buck twice against the pole, throwing the amber unicorn into the pen. She landed face first into the mud, with the bucket falling along with gravity, it landed on top of her pouring the pig food all over her.

Sunset grew terrified as pigs began to fight to eat the food off of her, pulling clumps of her coat off and nipping her mane, tail and ears. Sunset threw her hooves over her horn and face in fearful defense as laughter of foals and oinking and squealing pigs entered her ears.

When the pigs eventually stopped, they threw themselves into the mud and began rolling around. Cuts and open wounds stung as mud and dirt entered them. When Sunset brought her head up she opened her eyes. Her face was covered in a mix of mud and tears. She was met with a camera blinking a bright light in her face.

The sound of her own ringing ears muffled the sound of a rustic door slamming open as a middle aged apple-green earth pony came out in an angry panic, “What in tarnation are ya fouls doin’ to the pigs?!”

The kids around laughed and began running back to their teachers that were busy looking at another part of the farm.

The green coated pony stared bewildered at the crying Sunset in the mud before turning to the teachers, “Why aren't y’all payin’ attention to these little ones?”

“Granny Smith, they are simply just fascinated by your farm,” one of the teachers explained, obviously with no care for the situation.

Granny Smith stomped a hoof, “Ah just watched them push a little filly into the mud!”

The three teachers looked nonchalantly at the golden filly wobbly picking herself out of the mud.

“Oh she’s a troublemaker, I’m sure the others had a good reason to do what they felt was necessary,” another teacher said.

The other fouls snickered and laughed and started shouting claims.

"She tried to set me on fire!”

“She was calling everyone dumb!”

“She scraped my hoof! Now I’m hurt!”

Eventually it became too much to hear and the young magically gifted unicorn teleported herself completely gone from the farm in a bright teal flash.


“Horse apples,” Sunset cursed as hot tears wouldn’t stop flowing during her retelling. There had been a few stuttering hiccups but otherwise Sunset successfully kept her equine past out of the picture to Twilight, saying she ran instead of teleported and kept out the levitation.

The indigo haired girl looked at her sadly and reached up to whip away the tears rolling down the amber colored cheeks, “That’s terrible Sunset, I’m so sorry.”

The unicorn shook her head, “I-it was a long time ago.”

A lavender hand moved from whipping tears to cupping Sunsets cheek, still using her thumb to clear any loose teardrops, “Maybe so, but it still clearly bothers you.”

Sunset kept quiet for a moment as the evening air swam through her scarlet curls, “Yeah…but it’s my fault. I already told you I’m impossible to get along with.”

Twilight’s free hand grabbed Sunset’s, “I, for one, think that we get along very well.”

The redhead looked into Twilight's eyes, making sure she was telling the truth. Twilight was able to read the surprise and hesitation in her teal eyes, “Also, you are not unlikeable, I like you,” Twilight gave her a genuine, kind smile that hit Sunset’s heart. Then Twilight said something that brought more tears, “I really do, I like you… a lot.”

Sunset turned away and she felt her lip trembling while she did her best to not cry, until the wall was torn down when Twilight hugged her. At first, she froze and her breath picked up before she finally fell into the hug, clutching the back of Twilight’s uniform undershirt and sobbing into her shoulder.

Twilight simply hugged back, rubbing one hand up and down the crying girls back. Soon she felt her shirt's shoulder become wet from Sunset's tears.

Minutes passed like this before the redhead finally started to try to catch her breath, her grip loosened and her hands fell limply together to the bottom of Twilight’s back before she picked her head up and whipped at her wet face.

Sunset sniffled as Twilight gave her another beautiful smile that bright Sunset’s whole world. Her lavender gentle hand reached up and tucked a loose lock back into her friend’s hair, “You feel better?”

The fiery haired girl nodded and sniffled, “Thank you and… I- I,” Sunset hesitated, her fear held her back. That was broken with Twilight's kind and patient smile and eyes, “I like you too…a lot.”

She blushed and kept her eyes on the falling sun and Twilight joined her.

The two sat with their hands still touching on the rooftop as they watched the sun make room for the moon.


After paying the fee the girls stepped off the bus and onto the sidewalk. They walked side by side in tranquil silence. Minutes later they arrived at Twilight’s home and this time Sunset followed her to the porch.

“Thank you for your help today, Sunny. I know my parents aren’t going to be happy,” She held her hand lightly over her bruised eye, “but knowing you were there to take care of me will make them feel better.”

Sunset nodded but huffed, “Yeah, those girls better hope I never find out who they are.”

Twilight gave a scrutinizing look.

“What? We would just have a nice chat,” Sunset said.

Twilight crossed her arms over her chest, “Uh huh.”

Sunset became concerned as Twilight suddenly became nervous as she tapped the toe of shoe on the ground and held her hands behind her, “Um, I was wondering if tomorrow, you, maybe, wanted to come over for dinner? You see, my parents want to meet you.”

Sunset chuckled, “Sure, Sparkes,”

Twilight’s eyes brightened, “Would you like to sleep over too?” She asked excitedly.

Sunset held an open smirk, “If this was your way of asking me to sleep in your bed with you, you could have just outright said it.”

Twilight deeply blushed, “Wha-?No!… I mean un-unless you want to… I don’t mind. Not to be wierd or-!”

Sunsets put a finger over her lips, “You're cute, when you're flustered. I’ll see you tomorrow, Gadget-girl.”

Combat boots stepped towards the porch steps until a hand grabbed the cuff of her leather jacket. When Sunset turned back to Twilight, she quickly placed a kiss on her amber-colored cheek. The two blushed deeply, “See you tomorrow, Sunny,” Twilight said as slipped inside her home.

Sunset stood baffled for a moment as she held the cheek Twilight had pecked.

‘Way to get the last move,’ Sunset thought as she made her way down the driveway. A smirk, blushing cheeks and happiness pulsing her soul is what the redhead got to take home with her. For the first time in her complex life.

Author's Note:

Hiii

Sooo a bit of a glimpse into what made poor Sunny a meany head, there’s more to come about her past :P

I hope you all enjoyed, as always, feedback and kind words are very welcomed :raritystarry: