• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,554 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,554

14. Suspicions, Paranoia and Gloom

Rarity pushed her ruby-red spectacles. She had received yet another message on MyStables. Unfortunately, not one she was looking for. It was meant for business inquiries, instead, she received another message from a peer asking her to spy on a certain Redhead.

A sigh escaped her as she leaned back in her furry white desk chair. “Is it another one, darlin’?” A deep female voice with a southern accent asked.

“Yes.” Rarity said breathlessly as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Well…” the farmer started, “Maybe they're right, Rares.”

The designer turned in her chair, “What do you mean?”

Applejack readjusted to sitting on the bed, “Ah get that Sunset Shimmer has some friend that's made her want to be a better person, but what happens if something happens to that? She could just go right back to bein’ a bully.”

“Mh,” Rarity hummed, “I suppose that's more reason to befriend her darling. If a friend is all that’s needed to keep her on a good path.”

The blonde nodded as she stepped up behind her partner's chair and looped her buff arms around small shoulders, “True that. Doesn’t mean that there’s not something devious behind the scenes with Shimmer.”

A manicured hand grabbed the larger ones hanging at her clavicles, “I don’t disagree.”


Fluttershy smiled with the passing wind as a bird sang a small song to her. Soon, her attention was taken and redirected to someone stomping up the metal bleachers. It was no surprise to see the sweat-covered athlete with rainbow hair shuffling towards her. The quiet girl smiled wider and her heart swooned at the happy feeling of being with her friend again.

She knew that any regular person wouldn’t be here. People tend to be quick to ghost each other and not forgive, especially when a friend has abandoned them. But Fluttershy wasn’t one to hold grudges. She’s tried but she just never had it in her.

“Hey, Flutters. How’d I do?” Rainbow asked with a smile as if she needed to ask.

“You did wonderful, dashie! You're even better than I remember.” Fluttershy confirmed.

Rainbow’s smile dropped. The mention of leaving her oldest friend to fend for herself filled her with guilt. A pang of guilt she didn’t know she had but should have never. She never should have left Fluttershy the way she did. But when she had been bad-mouthing Applejack after what she ‘did’ and Fluttershy defended her and offered a solution Rainbow didn’t want to hear it. So she just never talked to the shy and gentle girl again. That was a mistake, possibly the biggest one she had ever made.

“Rainbow Dash? What’s wrong?” The person she had been thinking of asked gently.

“Just thinking about how bad I messed up,” Rainbow admitted with melancholy.

“You shouldn’t,” Fluttershy replied. There was a certain sternness to her voice that made Rainbow's head snap up. She was met with kind doe eyes and a warm smile, “Unfortunately we can’t change the past. But luckily, we can learn from it and grow, and do things differently for the future.”

“That’s why you're so quick to give Sunset Shimmer a second chance?” The prisma-haired girl asked, already knowing the answer.

Fluttershy played with the sleeve of her knitted dark brown sweater she made herself for a moment, “Yes. She kind of reminds me of the dogs that suffer from fear of aggression at the shelter.”

Rainbow Dash raised a brow. She wasn’t sure how to respond to that. She still felt a considerable resentment towards the flame-haired former bully, a resentment that Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie didn’t have. The athlete wondered for a moment how Rarity and Applejack truly felt, and if they were simply putting on a small show like herself for the peace their other friends wanted.

“I don’t exactly have your emotionally sensitive eye. I’m going to take a page out of Aj’s book,” she sat down next to her timid friend, “Honestly, I don't one-hundred percent trust Sunset Shimmer yet.”

Fluttershy nodded in understanding before she brought a hand to her chin. Her face morphed into one of consideration before turning to realization, “That's why you challenged her to a Dodgeball match, isn't it? You want to see how she'll play.”

The challenger couldn't stop the smirk that pulled at her face, “Yep. You can tell a hell of a lot about a person based on how they play sports.”

The slim girl nodded again, “Okay, but just, don't be too harsh, okay?” Her dark teal eyes shined with worry.

Rainbow Dash stood back up and stretched her arms before turning and offering her hand to her best friend, “Common I got a shower and nap with my best friend planned.”

The pink-haired girl blushed, “Uh, do you also mean the first one.”

Rainbow paused her descent down the steps and grinned as she decided to take the opportunity to tease the other girl, “Only if you want to.”

Her mission was declared successful as butter-yellow skin dusted into red, making her almost look orange. Rainbow Dash loved the fact that when the girl blushed, her whole face colored.


Sunset roughly threw her dark yellow comforter over her head. The jolly sun rays from the window above her bed made her hiss like an aggravated cat. The morning reared its ugly head too soon.

Yesterday had the unicorn-turned-human feeling a type of warmth and happiness she never even knew existed. Then, her left brain caught up and the critical, analytic voice shouted at her. It didn't help that during her phone call with Twilight, the natural human girl made some of the same concerns.

How- Why did those girls forgive you so easily? It all happened so fast, the immense euphoria Sunset felt caused her normally guarded brain not able to catch up in the moment. Her walk home from school fixed that and her heart beat faster with anxiety than the redhead would like to admit.

Were they planning something? Was yesterday a coy and they knew the whole time? Now that Sunset Shimmer had her walls down, they would swoop in and make her feel all happy only to BAM- throw her back to the ground and teach her a lesson. She supposed she deserved it. She should let them get their kicks in, after all, she certainly got hers in after years of taking out her anger on people that were not even native to her.

She was a terrible person. And pony. No wonder no pony wanted anything to do with her. She didn't want anything to do with herself either. Whatever those five girls were planning for revenge or even the whole school- she would let them have it. It’s what a terrible, mean, and disgusting pony like her deserved.

Sunset curled further in on herself as she gripped her blanket tight. She lay there in self-destroying thoughts until her alarm went off, signaling she needed to start her day. A part of her wanted to stay in her dejected cocoon. The school didn't deserve to look at the tyrannical monster stomping around and taking away their piece. She fought so hard to keep her tears in but when a sandpaper tongue swiped her cheek, they fell. The former bully flipped to her back to pet the orange feline trying to provide her comfort. The cat purred and leaned into her touch as her fingers scratched behind his ears.

“How could you like something as terrible as me?” Sunset asked.

Magma simply looked at her before bestowing a gift of nibbles onto her hand. His sharp teeth scraping her hand made her smile, “Thanks for that.”

A strong vibration from under her pillow grabbed her attention as she sat up. The tension headache made her turn down the brightness of her phone before looking at the message.

‘Good Morning, Sunny shine! Did you sleep well?’

All of her worries suddenly melted away. Of course, it was her Spark. Her phone keypad sounded as her fingers danced across the letters-
‘Well enough, Sparkes. How about you?’

The response was near-immediate: ‘What's wrong?’

Sunset sighed and ran her fingers through her mane. She should have known Twilight would catch on. At this point, Sunset was almost convinced the other girl had some magic that told her when the redhead was distressed.

‘Just thinking too hard.’

A ding set off, ‘About?’

‘Yesterday, and those girls. I wouldn't be surprised if their sudden forgiveness was a ploy to get revenge… Revenge they deserve to have.’

Three hopping dots appeared and as Sunset waited she realized how late in the morning it was. Usually, she would have been at school by now. She found herself hopping up and rushing to get ready- her idea of skipping being thrown out the window.

When she threw herself together she snatched up her phone and backpack, ready to run out the door until an annoyed meow stopped her. Magma sat on top of the sofa with disapproving eyes. Sunset chuckled and then patted her sassy cat's head, “Be a good cat, Magma.”

A purr of agreement sent her on her way. Sunset pulled her phone back out and smiled at the words of encouragement.

‘Don't let your guilt get the better of you Sunset. Remember you are doing better, take pride in that. When I get too stuck in my mind Cadence reminds me just to take days at a time.’

A light honk next to her made Sunset snap her head up. A navy blue sports car sat there and the window rolled down showing off Flash Sentury’s wide smile, “Sunset? Aren’t you usually at school by now?”

Sunset nodded, annoyed with herself, “Yep. Had a slow start.”

Flash nodded in understanding, “Hop in. If you walk you won't make it in time.”

Sunset took the opportunity and opened the car door, sitting in the low seat, “Thanks Flash.”

He nodded and the dimensional hopper replied to her best friend, grateful for her words.

“So, are you doing okay?” The male asked with a bit of caution.

Sunset looked out the window, watching the neighborhood around the school wiz by, “Okay enough.”

“I don't think I like that answer,” Flash admitted as he flipped on his turning signal.

She bit back a sigh and eye roll, “You don't need to worry about me, Flash. I'm just trying to figure things out within myself. I’m sorry it’s been dramatic.”

Flash parked and turned in his seat, “You don't gotta apologize. You know if you need anything I’m on your side… and yes even despite the past.”

Sunset stared at him surprised. “Humans are so damn sentimental.”

The former tyrant didn't feel the same worry of being backstabbed by the good-hearted male. She found herself giggling, “Thanks Flash, I appreciate it. Can… I ask you a question?”

Flash Sentry smiled, “Of course.”

The amber-skinned girl pulled at her fingers, “If you hear anything about someone trying to get revenge on me, would you tell me?”

His eyes search her serious expression, “Yeah, I would. I haven't heard anything like that though.”

She nodded and settled back in her seat, “Okay, thanks.”

“I can see why you would be worried about it but, what brought that worry on?” He asked.

Sunset hesitated, “It's just that something weird happened yesterday.”

When the guitarist leaned forward for more information she continued after she sighed, “I sort of came clean about breaking up those five popular girls in freshman year.”

Flash’s eyes widened like he had to face the truth, “I’ve heard Rainbow Dash complaining about Applejack, but it always sounded weird. I had a feeling you had something to do with it.”

Sunset let out a sad laugh, “Yep, that was me. Anyway- I ended up bringing them back together yesterday-” the smile on Flash's face made her roll her eyes, “They ended up taking some of the faults and… they invited me to be apart of their friend group. At the time I was ecstatic, I don't know why. Now though, I just think it's bizarre. Is it to get me to trust them just so they can embarrass or torment me in front of the whole school? I mean it’s not like I don't deserve it but-”

Flash cut her off with a hand, “Sunset, you’re rambling. I don't know them that well but I’m pretty sure none of them would be devious enough to do that. If anything they probably just want to get to know you and maybe, help you out.”

“Help me out?” Sunset asked almost offended. She didn't need help. Just because she snarled and growled at people before for a few years doesn't mean she some sad little filly that a hoof out of the crater.

“Yeah…like from anyone who does what to do something,” Flash answered carefully, he knew full well how independent and stubborn the flame-haired girl was.

“I guess,” Sunset said quietly, before speaking again, “sorry.”

“Don't be,” Flash opened his car door, “Let's get out of here before we’re officially late.”

They continued to chat as they walked into the school with five minutes to spare. When the front door closed behind them Flash departed to dash to his locker and Sunset also moved swiftly. She wasn't used to having to rush.


When Sunset finished changing for gym she entered the court with students staring at her with a nervous shock in their eyes. She stared back in angry confusion. Was this it? Her time to get a taste of her own medicine?

Her gaze was met with Rainbow Dash standing in the center, cockiness radiated off of her as she smirked and tossed a rubber ball in between her hands, “Hey, Shimmer,” her raspy voice said, clearly initiating a competition.

“Oh,” Sunset said as her nerves cleared, “Might have forgotten-”

She was cut off by a ball flying towards her. Sunset quickly threw her hand up and sent the ball back. Rainbow Dash caught it and swiftly covered the shock on her face from Sunset's fast reflex.

The coach with silver-rimmed sunglasses sat on the low bleachers and blew her whistle, “Choose your teams!”

Students hastily made their way to the battlefield. The redhead sagged, not in disappointment but in frustration that made her say, ‘Really?’ in her mind as she watched nearly the whole class walk over to Rainbow’s side. She supposed she couldn’t blame them though. Sunset was surprised as she noticed a few students on her team, Ditzy Doo, Lyra Heartstrings, and Sweetie Drops (a name the last didn't go by but a secret Sunset found a year or so ago. She never ended up needing to use it.)

“Why?” She asked them.

Ditzy grinned, “It’s not a team if you’re alone!”

Lyra gave a crooked smile, “The drama.”

Bon-bon huffed at her partner's answer, “I follow her around.”

Sunset smiled, that same giddy feeling she felt yesterday and when she was about to be with her Twilight.

The coach sent off her whistle again and immediately, the other side chucked their rough spheres. Sunset was surprised to see the three girls were standing their ground, despite the hail storm of rubber balls they managed to avoid them and even take out a few on the other side.

Rainbow Dash huffed, five were already taken out. She wasn't worried about it though. This was about Sunset and getting to know her intentions.

Watching the redhead was complicated but what Rainbow did notice was that the former tyrant hadn't taken anyone out. She was only focused on deflecting the aggressive objects flying at her.

Sunset had strong arms and quick reactions that allowed her to push back all the dodge balls coming at her to take her out. She never got angry, never tried to get back at the others throwing with obvious hostile intent. She simply held a concentrated and determined look. She even protected her small team! There had been a few instances that the female hopped in front of Ditzy to push a ball back from hitting the bubbly girl.

Rainbow Dash was… impressed.

Based on the way Couch Spitfire had her shades held up and was keeping a keen yet slightly surprised eye on the redhead, she was too.

Eventually, the game was called to an end, again with no proclaimed victor and Sunset barely out of breath.

“How?!” Rainbow shouted and watched as Sunset's expression went from relief to worry, “How are you so good?!”

The redhead rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly, “Where I come from we have a similar game. My peers always used it as an opportunity to pummel me to the ground. So, I taught myself how to fight back in the game so that wouldn't happen anymore, luckily, it translates well into the game too.”

Rainbow raised a brow as Sunset told a piece of herself she probably hadn't meant to. Sunset shrunk and her hands formed into sagging fits in front of her as she realized why everyone was staring at her weirdly.

The gym remained quiet as she walked off into the locker room.

Spitfire cleared her throat, “Alright guys you only got fifteen minutes till the bell rings, run along.”

The class did as told. When Rainbow entered the locker room she searched for Sunset, starting with her locker, then the bathroom and showers, but it became clear that the female was already long gone.


Finally home. That day felt too long for Sunset. She ended up avoiding the rest of the girls for the day. Any classes she shared with them she was simply in and out, she didn't want to talk to them. Not after she blabbed a little about her nightmare-fueled elementary life. Pinkie Pie proved to be hard as they shared art. The excitable girl sat her easel right next to Sunset’s and painted so messily that some of the acrylic paint splattered on her jacket. And she.just.kept.talking. Sunset’s anger nearly got the better of her but instead, she took a deep breath and gritted her teeth, barely responding to the balloon head.

After throwing her backpack down by the front door Sunset stomped over to her sofa and flopped down with her face on her pillow. She couldn't help but think, ‘What in Faust’s creative mind is going on?!’

Nobody was there to hear her so Sunset found herself screaming into the pillow. There was too much uncertainty and questions constantly running through her mind. She hated it. Couldn’t handle it. She missed her diabolical planning. At least she had a plan and knew what she was doing. Princess Celestia might have been disappointed in her if she had to try to take over Equestria but it wouldn't have been the first time. Her parents would have been proud, for once. Now, she was nothing. Now no pony was proud of her.

Soft padded paw steps tapped around until they stopped in front of Sunset. A meow of attention brought Sunset's eyes out from the pillow to look at the cat and she realized the tears that wet her face. The cat jumped up and snuggled himself into her chest, causing her to shift onto her side. Sunset cuddled Magma, enjoying his soft fur and fruity smell after she bathed him a couple of days ago. The comfort led her into a quiet sleep.

A knock on her door woke Sunset’s mind. At first, she chose to ignore it and cuddled further into orange fur. Unfortunately, the knock woke her up again and Sunset groaned forcing herself up. She looked at her oven clock seeing an hour and a half had gone by.

She swung her door open with annoyance that melted away as soon as she saw her visitor. A purple genius smiled with all the sparkling stars at her, “Hi!”

“Not that I'm not happy to see you, but, what are you doing here? Doesn’t your dad get you after school?” Sunset questioned as she rubbed the tiredness from her eyes.

Twilight entered the townhome as Sunset moved out of the way for her, “Usually, but he said he got held up at the university. So I got on the bus and came here. I… didn't want to take the train all the way home. Not after last time.”

Her hate meter suddenly spiked, “I wish you would have those cockatoo cosplayers expelled.”

Twilight shrugged as she gently set her heavy backpack next to the sofa and rubbed Magma’s head.

Since Sunset knew the girl didn't like to talk about the bullying she chose not to push it. She didn't have the mental energy or want to argue with her best friend.

The genius began to pull out two large books from her backpack, “I stopped at the library and got some research we could use,” she paused with an off look in her eyes, “Stars, it feels odd calling supernatural and magic theory books research.”

Sunset stepped over and looked at the books the girl offered, one being on multidimensional theory and the other being manifestation theory and instruction, “Hmm, I’m not sure these will work. Humans only have theory, none of this is concrete but I guess it doesn't hurt to look and try.”

Twilight tapped a knuckle to her chin, “How do we make sure anything we try will be a solid fact.”

Sunset folded her arms, “With no magical resources or tools, we either wait or find a way to get a hold of something with magic.”

“How do we do that?” Twilight inquired as she pulled out her pen and notebook.

The fiery-haired girl shortly laughed, “If I had gone through with my original plan we would have had something for sure,” she then lowered her volume, more talking to herself, “Then again I- or we probably wouldn't even be here.”

The bespekled girl pushed her glasses up, “What do you mean by that?”

Sunset picked up a feather wand and began to fling it around as Magma hit and chased it, “Oh, before your influence I originally planned on stealing a powerful weapon full of magic and bringing it to this world to use to make my army.”

The redhead had to admit, at first she liked dropping bizarre bombs just to see Twilight’s brain flare up in curiosity but after word-voimiting her original intentions Sunset found herself feeling awkward and fearful about what Twilight would think. Admitting the terrible first plan made Sunset feel disgusted with herself. Now Twilight probably did too.

“Hmm,” the curious sound of the other girl in the room came, “What kind of weapon is it?”

Sunset blinked. Of course. She should have known nothing scared this girl off, she was just too inquisitive.

“It's a crown,” she started to explain and Twilight wrote quickly, “A crown that represents the element of magic itself. It's the major key to unlocking the other elements of harmony. When they are all together they unleash a powerful purifying Rainbow of Light that can destroy any evil,” She paused and let Twilight catch up.

“All of the elements have their own small amount of magic in them but the crown has the largest amount of magic- hence it represents the element of magic. When you bring an element into another world it lets out magic particulars to keep itself fueled and protected. If that magic had been brought here the magic would grow in its natural way. With the portal destroyed that was probably the last chance of magic being in this world.” Sunset concluded.

Twilight tapped her pen, “So, if we can find something that has magic we can build a portal and get the crown which will bring more magic into the world.”

“...Yes,’ Sunset said slowly, “But magic can be dangerous. I don't think I'm on board for it being a thing in this world. In my world, it's healthy and regulated and we have powerful weapons against the times ponies or other creatures use it for gross intent.”

“I can understand that but we can regulate it here too! Certain fields like medicine, health, or science could benefit from it.” Twilight tried to reason.

Sunset crossed her arms, “Maybe, but I… just don't trust humans all that much. Equestria nor anywhere else in my world has made nukes or guns or anything else incredibly deadly like that. And that without magic. I can’t imagine what the humans or government would do if they got their hands on powerful, destructive magic.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Sunset, you're focusing too much on the negative.”

“Maybe you're not focusing on the negative enough.”

The two stared at each other with quiet irritation in their disagreement. Sunset huffed and rubbed the bridge of her nose, “I do not want to argue. I do regret destroying the portal, I'm not opposed to making a new one but for now, we should just leave the whole magic thing on the table. I’m sorry.”

“Fine,” Twilight said shortly and put away the books, opting them out for her homework. The shorter girl was sure she could get Sunset to change her mind. She wasn’t a native human so maybe she just needed more time. Plus her mind state wasn't a positive one at the moment, more exposure to Twilight’s plan and wants was sure to help Sunset get over her trust issues.

The former unicorn stood up, “I'm going to make some food, you want some too?”

“Yes, please,” Twilight said as she began her focus on her homework.

The evening passed by with few words, a small dinner, homework, and a sense of tightened tension. When Twilight's father picked her up Twilight left with a strained smile. When Sunset closed and locked her door she let her head thump against the hardwood. She stood like that for more than a moment before her feet dragged her to her bed’s covers. Her cat comforted her until sleep claimed her with nearly overwhelming gloom in her heart.

Author's Note:

Howdy yall.

Thank you guys for your critiques and thoughts on the last chapter. I understand and agree things kind of happened fast and weirdly. That was mostly on purpose to jumble Sunny's head so I hope this chapter clears that up a bit. If it doesn't feel free to let me know :)

As for this chapter... Twiliy and Sunny had a little disagree huh? Wonder what that will lead to :pinkiecrazy:

Hope you enjoyed it and see you next time!