• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,554 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,554

3. Incisive

Black combat boots raptured against blue laminated tile floors. Sunset’s step hesitated for a moment when a random vibration went off in her pocket. She made sure to make the hesitation quick and glossed over the event. The redhead stomped her way to her locker making clear of other bodies in the hall's path.

The bully’s mood was lifted seeing the empowering and beautiful sight of students, cringing and turning away from the boisterous entrance. After such a terrible weekend the control and power she worked so hard to achieve had made confidence and glee thrum through her veins.

Sunset forced her school vault open with the traditional kick and threw her heavy black satchel embroidered with her cutie mark on the hook inside, and huffed as another notification buzzed on her phone.

She really had no use for the thing. It was a quick burner phone Sunset had picked up from the nearest retail corporation just in case. Also because for some reason the school required a home phone number. A reason Sunset didn’t care to learn.

Despite the elation of seeing her cowering peers, Sunset could already feel her chest boiling. Today was going to be one of those days of just pure anger. They were more common than not. Every person that walked by too loudly, too closely, or had some indication of enjoying something in the slightest simply infuriated the fiery redhead.

The dirty cowgirl that neighbored lockers with Sunset huffed as she dropped her notebook. Even this annoyed Sunset as she added a new eye roll to her ongoing list.

“Good Morning, Applejack,” Sunset faked cheerfully with a broad smile that screamed false peace as agitation was lying not so far underneath.

The blonde paused, “Uh, mornin’?” She said in her thick country accent.

“If you don't mind, I just wanted to suggest you start wiping your gross hands clean from mud and chicken shit so you're not such a butter-finger, with you dropping all your stuff.” Sunset gave a final snide smile at Applejack’s stunned face before the redhead slammed her locker and stomped away to her first class of the day.

With the school's A and B schedule type, her first class on A days was gym class. The unicorn-turned-human didn't mind the class itself much. True she wasn't the most athletic pony out there but surprisingly the rush of running really helped Sunset through her emotions and most importantly helped her control the reigns of her anger. That’s why she hoped they would be out on the track today for laps.

As the bully entered the locker room bathroom stalls, she was pleased with the emptiness. In the days of her physical education class the powerful unicorn always made a point to change before anybody else even got the chance to walk in the door. This body wasn't exactly something she was comfortable with, let alone anyone else seeing it. The weird lanky bipedal limps that made her way too tall, the -at first very admittedly- gross oversized teats that got in the way far too often and moved oddly, which was distasteful to Sunset's sensory. Lucky humans could occasionally be useful as they have compactors for the female chest, ones that the unicorn-turned-human found herself using more than anything. Especially during her gym class, she learned that lesson almost quicker than long-range teleportation.

Her gym wear consisted of an off the shoulder maroon t-shirt with her signature wavy rayed sun in the center, black biker shorts that reached her mid thigh and black sneakers.

As other students began to enter and feel the locker space, Sunset thundered her sneakers against the vinyl floor as the other students kept their heads down and avoided eye contact. A feeling the female relished in.

Twenty excruciatingly long minutes of waiting for the below or barely average students to gather so the teacher could announce what they were doing that class period passed much to slowly.

Sunset tapped her foot waiting for the activity to be announced only for aggravation to fill her veins even stronger as the dumb, jovial, dangerous, and atrocious game, Dodgeball, was announced to be the focus of the morning.

Princess Celestia already aggravated her for so many years, and obviously, she continues to do so in moments like these. The redhead rolled her eyes and let out a loud huff.

The two captains were chosen and of course they were, the athletic school star, Rainbow Dash, and the bodybuilder muscled teenager, Bulk Biceps.

The bully blew air out her mouth upwards, removing the loosely curled lock of hair from her eyesight as she entered Bulk’s line of team when she had been boisterously called on by him.

At least some pony around here had a brain, even if it was smaller than a squirrel’s. The unicorn-turned-human acknowledged again that she might have not been the most athletic in the sporty way but the girl had muscle, and that came along with one hell of a throwing arm that any diamond dog would be jealous of.

The coach signaled the start of the game through a piercing sound of a whistle after everyone got into their positions, Sunset saw Rainbow Dash glaring and staring her down.

Oh, so she wants a real game? The redhead grew a crooked smile that made the chromatic-haired girl glare harder. Maybe this game would end up helping her hot-headedness this morning after all.

As red rubber globes flew past, the disgusting scent of grime, germs, and rubber entered her nostrils, thus adding to her agitation.

She let out a small yelp as the ball nearly collided with her face, looking up Sunset saw the malicious smirk of a grotesque, cyan-blue face.

Sunset gritted her teeth as anger bubbled in her chest.

That damn little girl with the same stick-made brain of a timber wolf had actually tried to hit her with a begrimed, rubber and foam-made sphere. Not only would that have caused damage to her face; in which it was obvious to her that she was the only one to have an actually appealing one- but her reputation would be knocked. Sunset Shimmer would not let that barely functioning-brained ape get one over of her.

The redhead swooped down and snatched up a ball before chucking it at the offending girl. Rainbow Dash's ponytail caught the blow as she ducked out of the orb flying towards her head.

A war had been waged. The two inimical girls flung, hurled, and countered each other. The fight escalated to the point that most of the other students in the game simply stopped to watch them duke it out. Eventually, the fight was stopped by the ringing whistle.

“Alright, Alright! You guys got thirty minutes left till the bell, you're dismissed to go change and shower.” Coach Spitfire yelled.

The victor might not have been formally announced but the two opposing states of well being by the end had claimed the silent victory. Rainbow Dash huffed and fought to catch her breath as her hands rested on her knees. There were bruises forming on her arms and legs. Sunset Shimmer on the other hoof, stood tall barely breathing hard, and only a loose strand of red hung by her face, “Nice match Crash, maybe next time you can at least try to give me a challenge.”

Sunset quietly chuckled at the sound of the track star growling behind her.


That damn buzzing again. Sunset knew who it was. She’s had this random flip phone for two years and this is the first time it’s ever gotten any real action.

During the anomic’s library lunch, Sunset finally looked at the messages the stalker had sent.

Hi! Good morning! :P ☀️

The fiery-haired girl rolled her eyes and rubbed at her temple. Was she serious?

Hiii, I hope you're having a good day so far! :)

Of course, she used proper punctuation in texts. There was one final text only from twenty minutes ago.

Hello again, I found a theory in the atmospheric thorium study. It’s where two atmospheric energies caused by alien sources, such as car fumes, aroma fumes, and any other fume particles create a whole new energy in of itself. Does this sound familiar to you?

It didn’t, truthfully this time. The former student of the sun goddess doubted something like fumes could create magic. If it could, then based on her history books it would have been discovered or created centuries ago. So, she gave a simple reply. One that would hopefully put off the inquisitive girl.

Nope.


It was after school hours and the debate club had finally come to an end. Sunset stood, leaned up against the brick wall of the side of the school waiting for a certain pink and white streaked-haired brat.

Finally, her abhorrent nasally snob voice was heard giggling with another voice that sounded similar.

“Hi, Diamond Tiara! Do you mind if I could steal just a minute of your time?” Sunset smiled and asked the girl with so much sweetness that it would even ruin a dessert.

“Sure?” The freshman questioned.

This was it, these confrontations were always Sunset's favorite. The fear and dismay that washed over people as the bully threatened them with their own dirty secrets always made confidence and power pump through Sunset’s whole body, making her feel invincible.

“Perfect, I just wanted to help us come to an understanding.” Sunset, once again, said in a sickening sweetness as she pulled a vanilla folder from her bag.

“An understanding of what?” Diamond Tiara asked defensively, placing her hands on her hips.

“Your place.”

“My place?”

“Yep!” Sunset flung open the folder holding it up for the younger girl to see, “You know who this is right?”

The picture shown was the freshman’s mother before cosmetic reconstruction, showing off the larger nose the woman once had. The first-year teen's mouth dropped, “H-how do you-?”

Sunset continued her faux innocent smile as she bought out a new picture, one that now showed the little girl with the same nose, “Aaannd, who is this?!” Sunset faked a surprised gasp.

The gray-scaled girl flung her hands up over her mouth as giggles began to escape her. As for Diamond Tiara, her mouth practically hit the floor as tears built in her eyes.

Sunset grabbed the girl's collar, evading her space, “Remember this next you decide to try to overstep me. As long as I’m around you and this school obeys me. Are we clear?”

The affirming tears already told the redhead all she needed but it was more fun to hear it out loud.

“Y-yes, clear.” The young girl stammered out.

Sunset let go of her collar letting the girl drop to the ground, “Glad we had this discussion! Have a nice night Diamond Tiara.”

The spoiled girl continued to sniffle on the ground as her friend attempted to comfort her while the interrogator placed the vanilla folder back in her bag and walked off.

They made it too easy sometimes. Most of the time actually.


Her phone continued to buzz periodically for the rest of the night. Too bad Sunset didn’t care enough to look or respond.

The school bully was surprised when her phone buzzed again the next morning.

And more throughout the day. At one point the incisiveness made Sunset throw the object in her locker.

Later in the school day Sunset received humorous glares from the farmer and her blue-skinned ex-friend; in which enlightened her mood. They could glare all they want but the fact that they would never do anything is what made the tiny heart in Sunset's chest sing in delight like she was back in Equestria.

Unfortunately after the school hours of the day, the rest of her hours while the independent sun was still up was spent in boredom. The hot headed female wasted time with tuning and playing her dark aqua blue guitar along with hitting the very worn and abused mattress to deplete the ennui she felt.

Come Wednesday afternoon, another, Celestia forsaken, vibration emitted from her technical device.

She flipped her phone open angrily, not even bothering to read the messages.

I told you I don’t want, need or care for friends, leave me alone, stalker-girl.

‘…’ the three dots bounced as the other girl texted back almost immediately.

Not to be rude but, too bad, so sad.

Sunset scoffed at her device at the response. Too bad, so sad??! Who in Discord’s chaotic reign did this random human think she was?

The redhead looked up for just a moment as she felt eyes on her, her sight caught a boy with green locks and beige skin staring at her with catechism.

“What?!” She snapped at her like an angry clam shell. The boy jumped and quickly walked off.

Looking back at her phone, for the first time the unicorn-turned-human didn’t know how to respond to someone. In retaliation, Sunset threw the cell phone to the back of the locker and moved on to class. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough to quell the anger boiling in her chest that a fire-breathing dragon would be jealous of.

Thursday and Friday moved as slowly as the rest of the week. She kept her phone in the locker where she threw it, now back to a peaceful state of mind.

In her own home on Friday night, the redhead marked out the day on her volcano themed calendar. Now there was only a month and a week until the portal opened. If there’s one thing that girl was useful for it was letting Sunset know that the portal charged and acted up before it fully opened.

A sudden knock at her door made her jump. This weird week just wouldn’t quit. Who could possibly be knocking on her door when it was…, Sunset had to poke her head in her kitchen to see the clock on top of the stove- six thirty at night. The sun would be going down at any moment.

Another knock recaptured the young female's attention. Sunset moved away from the calendar sitting on the wall by the door and peeked into the peephole seeing a head full of indigo. In prostration, the fiery-haired girl's head hit the door, “Go away, Stalker-girl. Can’t you catch a hint?”

“That I can and I have. You just haven’t realized it yet.” The voice on the other side of the door said.

Now what was she getting at? A hint that Sunset had yet to realize. The amber-skinned girl knew herself pretty damn well. She was powerful, ambitious, worthy, and didn’t need any damn useless friends holding her back from achieving greatness. Even if this one happened to be pleasing to the eye like no human before.

“I just want to talk.” The girl's voice said.

Sunset sighed and opened the door slowly. It was obvious there was no getting rid of this kid yet.

“What do you want?” The redhead said unenthusiastically as she stood in her doorway starting down the girl on her porch. Twilight Sparkle wore an oversized light blue turtleneck sweater with white stars on it, black skinny jeans and light blue converse. Her indigo hair was thrown up into a ponytail.

“I’ve got a few tiny new readings coming in, we’re going to investigate,” Twilight said as she entered the townhome.

Sunset moved out of the way and flung her arm out before limping it back down to her side, making her hand hit her jeans, “Come right in,” she said sarcastically.

The lavender-skinned girl gravitated to the microwave in the kitchen, “What model is this? I’ve never seen one like it.”

Sunset crossed her arms, “You like to stare at microwaves?”

A light blush bloomed on Twilight's cheeks, “No. I’ve just taken many apart, you can get great gear supply from them.”

“Of course you have,” Sunset rolled her eyes, “It makes sense you haven’t seen one like that because I made it myself.”

Violet-colored eyes widened in surprise behind thick-rimmed glasses, “You…made it yourself?” Twilight asked with disbelief in her voice.

“Yep.” The redhead shrugged.

It was at that moment the young scientist took in her surroundings, “I hadn’t realized this is a studio townhome. How peculiar.”

“Is it now?” Sunset asked indifferently.

“My apologies, I’m just not used to seeing people my age in their own apartments,” Twilight said while adjusting her glasses before opening her bag and pulling out the same circular device she had a week before, “I’ve done some research on you by the way.”

That statement caught Sunset’s attention as she stood up straight and crossed her arms over her chest, “Excuse me?”

Twilight turned back to her, “You did research on me, I did research on you.”

The humaned unicorn stood broader, becoming defensive, “And what exactly did you find, Stalker-girl.”

The bespeckled girl shifted her footing growing nervous at the subtle aggression, “W-well just that it’s a sparse record, there wasn’t much to be found, only two and a half years' worth of your school record exists. Your top, straight-A student, that’s about it.”

Sunset relaxed, “Good. You don’t need to know more.”

Violet eyes held searching questions before gliding her glasses further up her nose. Sunset could guess that might be a habit more than a need.

“Right, well we need to head to where my detector is trying to lead,” Twilight said looking down at the technology that was blinking lights in the northwest direction.

“We?”

“Yep, you already have your coat on.”

“Ugh, whatever Stalker-girl. I’m only going to make sure you don't embarrass or endanger yourself somehow, I’m not trying to be held responsible,” Sunset retorted.

Twilight giggled, “My, how kind of you, Sunset Shimmer.”

The redhead scowled and she slammed the door behind them, keys in hand, “It’s like you enjoy pissing me off.”

The ponytailed girl bounced down the steps, “Maybe just a little.”

Sunset thought for a moment that she would need an eye roll counter.

Twenty-five minutes worth of following the poindexter had eventually led them to Canterlot High School, more specifically, the wonder-colts equine statue that stood proudly on its hindlegs.

“Hmm, it’s this statue again,” Twilight muttered to herself. She pulled out a sample tube and plucked a loose pebble from the statue. The reaction from the concrete form made the girl freeze while Sunset’s teal-colored eyes widened. The surface they faced rippled like water and shined a dull white light.

“How odd? The solid figure is acting as if it’s water but,” the scientist placed her fanned-out hand into the ripples, mesmerized by the ripples simply dancing around her hand and fingertips that sat on the hard surface.

“I-I almost don’t know what to think. This is indeed quite the anomaly.” The indigo-haired girl began pulling out many measuring and video gadgets as she continued to inspect the sculpture's extraordinary base.

“To you maybe,” The redhead commented quietly.

“What was that?” Twilight looked up at her inquisitively.

“Nothing, gadget-girl,” Sunset said as she

The far too curious female returned to her machine and stuck two round white sticker things with tubes lending to a machine with a red to green measuring screen to the white rippling surface of the equine sculpture, “Gadget-girl? Have I been officially promoted?”

Sunset playfully scoffed, “More like position shifted.”

“I’ll take it. That's better than being accused of being a stalker,” Twilight shrugged.

A gasp came from the girl a moment later as the purling and illumination intensified along with the machine charging up to the green.

“Oh, my stars! This is impeccable! Look Sunset, this has to be the source of the remote energy.” The investigative girl marveled.

Sunset didn’t even like the idea of this kid messing around with the portal. If she really found out what it was only the great alicorn gods would know what would happen. That Twilight Sparkle girl was annoyingly curious and smart. The unicorn wanted no opportunity to find out if she was like the mad scientists she occasionally saw in human pop culture.

“Well congrats or whatever on your nerd out but leave it alone you don’t know what that is and it should be kept that way,” Sunset said sternly.

As the redhead turned to begin walking away in an effort to get the teen boffin to follow her. Unfortunately for Sunset, the higher octave nerdy voice only questioned her, “So you do know what this is! I knew it!”

“I didn’t say that.” Sunset send looking over her shoulder at the now standing purple schemed teen.

“You didn't have to. The entire way you worded your statement before told me everything I needed.” Twilight said, informatively.

Damn it. Find a way to change the subject. Fortunately she didn’t have to search too much as an odd bright blue blinking was coming from Twilight’s right ear, “Um, your ear is blinking.”

A lavender hand shot up to the device wrapping her helix, “Oh shoot, I should have known it wouldn’t last this late.”

Sunset threw her hand in a circling motion in order to invoke more information, “What is, ‘it’?”

“My hearing aid. It blinks when it needs to be charged,” Twilight said.

“What are you deaf?” Sunset sled crudely.

Twilight placed her hands on her hips, “Not entirely, but close enough. Not stop trying to change the subject. What do you know about the odd energy?”

Cold teal-colored eyes stared down Twilight. Then Sunset came to a conclusion from the determination and stubbornness in the other girls' feature. The girl wanted to know that bad. Fine. Sunset could relish in the way this girl's whole world would be flipped upside down. And maybe get some joy out of seeing that same determination be switched to fear at the life-changing truth. Besides, a little threatening and meanness could depress the girl from any ideas on trying to engage in doing any freaky science stuff to the unicorn.

The redhead smirked, “Fine. You wanna know that badly? I’ll give you one warning though, that information is going to change everything you know in life, gadget-girl.”

Her steps grew stronger and more threatening as the combat boots finally stopped not an inch apart from the crouched girl. Twilight stood up nearly meeting the girl's line of sight, if only she were an inch taller, “That is the whole point of research and science. Finding the how, what, and why of the world. If this is truly that drastic than good, that’ll be better for me.”

Sunset definitely had to give the credit to her. The girl had balls that the strongest, biggest stallion, Rockhoof would be jealous of, and her eye had a fire that the dragons would fight to swim in.

She shrugged, “Fine can't say I didn’t warn you,” Sunset placed her amber-colored hand on the statue and embraced the magic that thrummed and danced into her veins, “The energy you're going after is Magic. This statue right here is a portal to another world full of it. The portal is gearing up to open soon, which is why it’s starting to act up.”

Giggling entered Sunset's eardrums before it turned into full laughter. Sunset searched the girl who now held her stomach as she was consumed by laughter, “Hey!”

The laughter began to die down as Twilight whipped a tear from her eye under her glasses, “Oh wow, you know for someone trying to act tough, you’ve sure got an amazingly unorthodox imagination for such an outlandish hypothesis.”

The unicorn clenched her fists at her sides, “It’s not a hypothesis, it’s real! And what do you mean trying?!”

The bright smile on Twilight's face contradicted her weak eye roll, “Well if you are going to just play tricks on me then I’ll get back to my investigation.”

The indigo-haired girl went back to noting the readings of the measuring machine.

Whatever. Nopony- or person, could say she didn't try.

Moments later the girl packed up and announced her satisfaction. Nearly thirty minutes later of relative silence other than a couple comments from Twilight about her building hypothesis and acknowledgement hums from the redhead, Sunset found herself in front of a navy blue and dark purple modern victorian looking house. She had walked the other girl home, unwillingly of course.

“Thanks for walking me home, Sunset. I’d say that's pretty kind of you.” Twilight smiled, adjusting her backpack on her shoulder.

Sunset threw her head back and sighed in vexation, “Ugh, whatever. See you, hopefully never.”

“Actually, I have an appointment for us at the science museum for the planet show. Meet me at noon.” The lavender-skinned girl jogged up to her porch and smiled that dump cute smile- not that Sunset would ever admit that cause humans are not at all cute, at the redhead before closing her front door before Sunset could reject the outing.

Sunset rolled her lips exhibiting a sound her pony body would make as she turned to walk back to her lonesome home, “Damn girl just doesn’t know when to quit.”

This wasn’t the first time Sunset Shimmer had been confused in a situation like this. Friendship makes you weak, soft and unfit. A real leader had no reason to get attached and put any pony above themselves. That’s what mom and dad always said. Their point hadn’t gone unproven either based on the overly magical unicorn’s experience.

When Sunset first arrived in this world no one was interested. She was left absolutely alone with no acknowledgement from anyone as she was trenching through this confusing and darker world, until she made her name and reputation known at least with the first step of dating the way too nice and popular guitarist.

Know matter how many dates or quiet nights he always tried to get the girl to open up, to share, alas his efforts were futile. Sunset knows what happens when you do such things. It was nothing pretty.

Now this annoying, stalkerish, inquisitive, incessant girl was practically forcing herself onto her. Why? Sunset didn’t think she was willing to find out. She would just have to put the younger girl off and get her to leave. Sunset wouldn’t allow this temporary human messing up her plans and future for Equestria.

Time and distance passed quickly as the unicorn’s thoughts ran wild. Soon she reached her small town home and made her way up the few steps only to find something blocking her path.

“Wrong house cat.” The fluffy orange tabby laid in front of her door, swinging its tail up and down.

“Are you gonna move or what?” Sunset asked. The cat only responded with a meow while staring into the eyes of the unicorn-turned-human that matched its own.

The redhead sighed, exhaustion starting to hit her from the long week, “Fine.”

Sunset opened her front door and stepped over the feline. After a couple minutes the redhead returned to her porch with a built cardboard box and two of her own smaller bowls. One held water and the other tuna.

“You're lucky I had this stuff already.” Sunset said to the tabby still on her porch while she sat the box and bowls down for the cat to inhabit.

The cat sniffed the new items before beginning to ravenously eat the tuna.

“Yeah that’s right. That tuna was expensive.” The redhead said, leaning against her door with her arms crossed as she watched the tabby feast. Eventually the feline finished its dinner and curled into a corner of the box and meowed up at Sunset as a way of saying it’s gratitude.

“Yeah, You're welcome.”

The unicorn returned inside and locked her door, for a moment placing her head on the door.

‘What would mom and dad think? Nevermind I can already guess. What… would Princess Celestia think?’

A painful pang tapped on Sunset's heart. She didn’t want to think about that. She shouldn’t be thinking of the random purple scientist that was trying to force her way through the solid igneous gates to Sunset’s being. She shouldn’t think of this random cat at her doorstep, it’ll be gone in the morning anyway to its original home. At some point in time, hopefully soon, Twilight Sparkle will be gone from her life too. This was all temporary. The only thing she should think about is proving her worth to the Princess of the sun and her parents. It was the only way of making all these years of studying, loneliness, and cruelty, receiving and giving, worth it.

Author's Note:

Hiiii, as a recovering people pleaser I don’t know how to write being mean so I hope I did bully Sunset justice.

It’s kinda fun lol

So we might be starting to get somewhere. Twilight put a large job on her back.

Also Sunny what did your momma and papa teach you :twilightoops:

Always I hope you enjoyed and as always critiques, advice and positive comments are always welcome :twilightsmile: