• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,554 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,554

2. Stalker Girl

The rest of the night Sunset Shimmer spent her head buried in a book. Murder mystery, a genre that didn’t exist in Equestria but one Sunset found herself thoroughly enjoying. She spent time searching for clues, looking deeper into the author's words, and looking at every character through skeptical lenses.

Her notebook was laid out flat in front of her on the rustic coffee table, a glass of iced apple juice sitting next to it. Sunset flipped the pages entering the second to last chapter. The detective raced after the culprit, the main group of friends by their side. In the redhead's notebook, she had every clue, every character, every trait, and insight listed and connected.

They were close, entrapping the mystery killer to expose them for what they had done.

Sunset bounced up in a quiet cheer of victory as the true culprit was revealed and she guessed exactly who it was.

“Tartarus!” She yelled in panic at her now knocked-over beverage, spilling the yellow liquid all over her notebook. Sunset quickly moved the notebook up, holding it by the tips of her fingers, attempting to wipe the sticky juice off the paper before more could sink in.

The former unicorn moved to the kitchen with the notebook, grabbing a towel and pressing it to the soaked side of the papers. Eventually, she left it to dry as she felt she did all she could do.

Returning she returned to finish the last chapter and a half of the book. Fortunately, the weekend started tomorrow and now she got to add a trip to the library to her short list of Saturday to-do’s.

The sky began its color change to golds and reds as the sun began its journey down below the horizon. The same named girl huffed air from her nose like an equine, now bored that she finished her book early.

That was until a sound of a trash can crashing to the ground interrupted her solitude thoughts, “Ouch!” A female voice cried out. Normally, Sunset wouldn’t care to investigate but with the commotion sounding like it was right outside her window, her curiosity commanded her up and out.

Sunset opened her front door, kicking it back closed, jumping down the three steps leading off her porch. Rounding the corner, her mouth fell slightly agape in confusion and surprise seeing a frail, skinny girl with long indigo and magenta streaked hair rolled into a bun. She also had lavender skin that was mostly covered by her light blue joggers and a matching hoodie. The clumsy girl struggled to push up the trash can back up straight before attempting to grab the fallen trash bag. It was clear that the girl was unable to do so, with not having enough upper strength.

“What in the hell are you doing?” Sunset barked.

The girl flipped around, startled, starting at the redhead with eyes wide like a deer in headlights behind large framed glasses, “I-I-“

“If you are looking for drugs or something else like that you choose the wrong house, junkie,” Sunset said standing with her arms crossed and in the center of the entry of the ally, somewhat boxing the other girl in.

Said another girl, frantically adjusting her nerdy glasses before swinging her hands left to right in dismissal, “N-no! It’s not like that at all!”

The girl pulled out a circular device with a light circling it from her hoodie pocket, “I was just following my E.M.E.R.”

“Am I supposed to know what the fuck that is?” Sunset cursed, getting more frustrated by the minute. She would admit to herself that she didn’t care much for human curses, they sounded gross and she didn’t like the way they came off her tongue, but the ones from her native land only got her weird looks.

“I-it measures energy frequencies in the air. I b-built it myself not too lo-long ago.” The lavender-skinned girl stuttered with a hint of pride in her voice in the last sentence.

‘Energy frequency? What would that have to do with me?’ Sunset thought.

The girl spoke again, continuing her explanation, “The energy is very low, I’ve been able to deduce. My reader has been leading me to Canterlot High School and now here.” She adjusted her glasses, “Tell me, do you practice anything out of the ordinary that would affect the airflow?” By now the girl had a notebook out ready to write down anything the redhead had to say.

Sunset blew air out of her nose like a wild manticore ready to charge, “No freak, I don’t. Now, bust it before I hit you so hard you won’t remember coming anywhere near my house.”

The threat did its job as the girl looked frightened, “Y-your right, my apologies. Sorry to in-interrupt your night.” She then looked at the hefty trash bag she had knocked out earlier, then flicked back to Sunset, “U-u-um, h-here, allow me to f-fix that. It w-wa-was my fault, anyway.”

The redhead leaned against the wall watching the pitiful display of the frail girl struggling and grunting to pick up the black polyethylene bag for more than 10 seconds.

Sunset pinched the bridge of her nose and growled in agitation, “Dear Celestia, Galaxia, and Cosmos.”

She signed before stomping over, somehow making her worn black house Crocs sound intimidating. Sunset snatched the bag and tossed it into the trash can. She turned around glaring at the sheepish girl before stomping back to her front door and slamming it shut.

Teenagers and kids were so dumb she couldn’t stand it most of the time. What an absolute nut job, coming to her home, knocking over her stuff, and for what?

Some out-of-order air follicles? Who cares? In this world, weird stuff happens all the time that humans randomly claim and yell about.

So what some weird energies are stirring around school… and her… home.

Wait a minute, ‘out of ordinary air flow’ and ‘low amounts of odd energy frequencies.’ At Canterlot High and near Sunset's residency.

Holy Alicorn milk! It’s magic! This random little girl is tracking magic! The portal to Equestria is opening again soon, that must be what’s kicking up the magic. Does that mean Sunset has magic unlike she thought before?

The nerd said it was low measurements. It must just be her innate magic still in her unicorn veins.

So what does that mean for the girl? She’ll probably get caught up in something that she shouldn’t. Not like that was Sunset's problem.

With the sun finally down and the indigo-haired girl gone, the redhead found herself with nothing to do again.. just like every time she was home.. just like every weekend.

Whatever, at least in a little over a month, the portal will open and Sunset can finally prove to Celestia that she can rule and is worthy enough. Especially with the proof and experience of the iron grip she has controlled the school with for years.

Satisfied with her plan, the former unicorn went over the evidence she had against Diamond Tiara. Sunset prepared and organized it to confront the young girl and put her in her place.

Left with nothing again, before she could think about it Sunset performed her nightly routine. First committing human functions. Then the required hygiene of brushing her teeth. Her memory of brushing her human teeth for the first time entered her head, the confusion and investigation of the now sharp canine teeth she bore. The first, near, year in this world she spent uncomforted at the feeling of them in her mouth. Poking her tongue and gums. She spat out the toothpaste and washed her mouth out. The redhead, with her laptop, laid in her bed, already in her lounge clothes; which, she switched into after her research. Black sweatpants and an old oversized band shirt that Flash Sentry had let her ‘borrow’ a while ago.

Opening the laptop, she simply watched traffic nonsense as she was lured to sleep.


The sun shines brightly, casting a colorful glow to the earth and birds chirped and sang to each other as soft calm cool winds breezed through grass blades and hair.

It disgusted Sunset as she sat at a picnic table under a tree, furthest away from any other people. Personally, the dimensional alien felt this world should be set ablaze to rot and never have the ability to create again.

She had her newly chosen book from the library opened to the first page as she pulled out her lunch of, again, apple juice, and a sandwich constituting of wheat bread, cauliflower, spinach, and almond milk sauce.

This book was another murder mystery, it piqued her curiosity as it instead was under the horror category instead of the mystery one. In Equestria, horror had been one of her favorite things- much to the sun goddess’s repugnance.

The sounds of dogs barking at the dog section of the park filled her ears. This didn’t bother her too much, she made sure to stay far away from the child’s playground. Their screams infuriated her.

Sunset took a glance at the yip yappers. A little purple and green dog ran across the large fenced yard, chasing a frisbee with its tongue flowing out of its mouth and curly ears flopping against its head.

The amber-skinned female rested her chin in her hand as she returned to her book. Twenty minutes of peace managed to pass. Character introductions and foreshadows are introduced. Sunset had a pretty good idea by now of who is going to the deceased and what was possibly going to happen.

She flipped to the page of the new chapter, the first signs of foreboding and sinister motives coming to the surface. Sunset's gaze glossed quickly across the page, her red and gold hair falling over her shoulders as she leaned further into the book. Completely captivated by the story Sunset never heard the puppy barking and running towards her.

A moment of peace and engagement in the story's universe was completely broken when a flat rubber disc crashed into her skull, “What the Tartarus?!” Sunset yelled out in surprise and frustration.

The purple puppy from earlier barked at her from the fence, motioning to the disc by her red combat boots.

“Oh my stars, I’m so so sorry!” a familiar voice said behind her.

Sunset turned around coming face to face with the same nerdy freak from yesterday.

“Damn you! This is the second time you’ve managed to ruin my day. Do you make a hobby out of it?!” The fiery-haired girl spat out at her in anger.

The other girl backed away, curling in on herself. Her violet eyes were wide behind her glasses. She had her straight, long, indigo hair down today, and if Sunset weren't so angry she might have admitted she looked cute.

Wait. What?

“I- n-no. I’m sorry to run into you like this again. That wasn't my intention.” The girl said.

Sunset rolled her eyes and stomped her food before grabbing the frisbee and chucking it back at the lavender-skinned girl.

“Get lost, if I ever see you again it'll be too soon,” Sunset said grumbly as she sat back down in front of her novel, returning to the page she was on.

The other girl bit her lip nervously and tapped her pointer figures together, “Um, actually, I-” she adjusted her glasses, “My reader is going off again, it wasn't doing that at all before.”

Sunset exhaled and rubbed at her temple as she gritted her teeth from the intense frustration building in her sternum, “It’s magic and witchcraft,” she said before turning around at the surprised-looking nerd, “Is that what you wanted to hear?”

Violet-colored eyes tried searching hers before Sunset turned her back to her, attempting to immerse back into the tome.

“May I ask what you are reading?”

“It's called nun ya.”

"Nun ya?"

"Yeah, nun ya business."

Silence.

The picnic table shifted along with a new weight sitting on the other side. Sunset huffed loudly as she slammed the book shut and gathered her lunch before standing up to leave.

“Twilight Sparkle.” The girl said, half standing up from the table.

The redhead paused, “What?” She snapped.

Twilight placed a hand over her chest, “My name, it’s Twilight Sparkle. I’m a student at Crystal Prep and I’ve started an independent study on a strange anomaly. I witnessed strange blue lights coming from Canterlot Highschool a week ago while here at the park during the night. It was a good star gazing night but no auroras where possible. I want to find out what those lights were. ”

Sunset glared, “I told you, I don't know anything about that.” She said pointedly.

The girl continued, “My dog Spike,” she pointed to the purple and green pup playing with another dog, “He sniffed out and led me all the way to the statue outside of Canterlot High, I- I thought I saw a side of the statue riffle, I-it looked like water or something! When I tried to investigate it, the wall turned solid again. I know you know something.”

Sunset weighed her options, tell this random, crazy, obsessive little girl what she saw or just let her think she was crazy. Her train of thought was interrupted when the girl reached into her pocket and pulled out a pen and a tiny notebook. Twilight scribbled something down before pushing the paper to Sunset, “Here, it's my phone number. If you find something or want to talk, don't hesitate to contact me.”

The amber-skinned female sneered before snatching the note and sauntering off.


Sunset Shimmer slammed her front door shut and aggressively threw down the phone number and other valuables on the sofa. Her anger was boiling, seriously boiling. Her face burned and she paced while attempting breaths.

Dumb girl! She didn't know anything! A swarm of parasprites could eat the town away and her dumb little detector wouldn't explain alicorn shit!

The redhead pulled out an old beat mattress and placed it up on the wall. She threw the first punch but recoiled from her hand still hitting the wall. The old mattress was so worn and abused it didn't have the same protection against brick that it used to.

After a couple more hits, ignoring the pain in her hand, she felt she could breathe and think again.

That girl seriously gave her her phone number. The odd part was… that Sunset actually wanted to call her and text her. Just to be able to see the notification on her phone screen of someone showing they cared enough to talk to her.

NO.

Friends are a waste of time. They distract you. Weaken you, and Sunset Shimmer couldn't be weak.


Alright, she had to find something on this girl. Researching her, the only thing Sunset had found was her parent's occupations, Night Light: some fancy astronomer that now worked at Canterlot University and Twilight Velvet: a journalist turned adventure author, with a few best-sellers. Apparently, she also had some heroic brother in the national guard who quickly climbed the military ranks to master sergeant. Of course, the weird stalker girl had some national science and academic youth awards over the years.

Sunset bounced her foot up and down with a finger over her mouth in thought as she sat on her worn sofa. Every family has dirt, something had to be wrong with them. She just needed something to use to get this Twilight Sparkle to leave her alone. Sunset be damned if some freaky scientist girl found out about magic and then nabbed her up to do some creepy weird experiments or whatever it is those freaks do.

Both of the parents had career switches, not large ones, but maybe she could still hunt down what happened, odds are something weird caused it.

Sunset scrolled through the posted astronomer award-winning article, all it had to say was that the dude was a nerd for space and decided to teach others how to be space nerds. Fine, whatever. The mother, Twilight Velvet, was much more useful. Turns out the woman has a whole Wikipedia page. The website informed that during her years in journalism, the last case she reported on was a child abuse case. Apparently, the woman quit right after that, saying it was, ‘a case that shouldn’t exist,' and that she learned just how evil humanity can be.

‘Pft please, have you read your world’s history textbooks? And those don’t even include the worst stuff.’

The redhead was somewhat pleased though, she could kind of work with this. Sunset had heard all about the girl's school, Crystal Prep, and the students' view on imperfections and weakness.

Sunset almost considered transferring.

The girl would most definitely be ridiculed for having a parent that gave up too easily. Granted all her peers had to do was look at her mother's wiki to find the same information but what’s the fun in that when Sunset, if needed, had the ability to post it to the school's Mystable page. It wasn't as hard to hack into accounts as the redhead had once thought.

Now all she had to do was call the insufferable little girl over and scare her into never wanting to come near the redhead.

Dear Celestia, Sunset was so good that even she couldn’t believe it sometimes.


It was a beautiful, lovely, dull Sunday afternoon with the heavy gray clouds threatening to spill heavy rain with a booming rumble.

Sunset loved it. The gross brightness of the sunny day always felt out of place compared to her, now these gloomy downer days she felt much more in place. Though if she was being honest the random weather change of this world always astonished her as stared at the sky in awe watching the dark thundering clouds of striking light roll in.

That Sparkle girl was on her way. Her annoying squeaky voice pierced the redhead's ears as she excitedly told Sunset she would arrive soon.

Sunset didn’t even need to tell her a reason for the girl to come over, the girl just agreed at the ready.

A hesitant knock tapped on the front. Perfect.

Sunset stood and flipped her curls to her back before strutting over to the door, in ripped jeans, black combat boots, and a magenta tank top.

The door swung open revealing the lavender-skinned girl with a high ponytail, in a light blue knitted sweater vest with a collared shirt under and a pink skirt, matching blue knee-high socks, and black Converse, “Hi-“

Sunset threw her palm up, silencing the girl, “Please, there’s no need, you won’t be here for long.”

The brightness in the other girl's face disappeared, “Oh…”

The redhead closed the door loudly behind her as she stepped out onto the porch and pulled out folded pieces of paper from her back pocket. She fanned them in Twilight's face with a malicious smirk, “You're a fool if you think I wasn’t gonna dig up some dirt on you stalker-girl.”

“Stalker? Dirt?” Twilight questioned not fully forming her sentence as her mind raced from the accusations.

“You mentioned you’re from Crystal Prep, I think we’re both aware of just how perfect and straight-arrowed that school strives to be. They don’t appreciate or support weakness or abandonment in work do they?” Sunset said, taking steps towards Twilight who took steps back in response.

She adjusted her glasses, “Uh, y-yes, that’s true. M-my peers and educators hold a lot of contempt to th-that.” Twilight’s voice wobbled with nervousness.

The one in control of the conversation rotated her ankle causing the other girl to also twist around, “How would your little classmates and principal feel knowing that your incompetent mommy couldn’t handle her own chosen career?”

Sunset had managed to corner the girl as Twilight's back hit the front door. An amber-skinned hand pounded against the wood next to the other girl's head. Violet-colored eyes flicked to the hand boxing her in and looked back to the bully's face who smiled with down-turned brows before pulling up the article about her mother in her free hand.

Twilight lightly grabbed the paper and read the article, “…I see.”

She flinched as the other hand slammed against the other side of her head, flames blazing in the teal-colored eyes of the perpetrator, “Remember this next time you try and be all buddy-buddy with me. I’m not gonna be a part of any of your freaky experiments so do us both a favor and forget about your dumb reader. I won’t hesitate to ruin your life and get all your little friends and classmates to hate you. You'll be miserable for the rest of your life by the time I'm done with you.” The bully spat venomously with a threatening fire.

She meant all of it too. This girl was discovering and studying magic, it was too close to the former unicorn. She’d be found out eventually and then those weird men in black will whisk her away to those scientists and dismantle her before she even got the chance to go home, all because this little worm couldn’t mind her own business. Sunset Shimmer refused to let that happen.

Twilight gave a contradictory smile as her eyes held fear in them, “You can do as you must.”

“What?!” Sunset barked.

“My peers already ridicule and make a mockery of me. To them, I’m just the one that holds them back from the top score. I’m honestly surprised no one has said anything about my mother; which I personally hold no malice towards.” The lavender-skinned girl explained.

Anger consumed Sunset as she slammed her hands again making Twilight flinch before reassessing eye contact, “Forgive my bluntness but you… don’t have many friends, do you?”

The bully growled, “I don’t need friends. They do nothing but slow each other down.”

Twilight adjusted her glasses, “That’s a peculiar way of thinking. If you’d allow me, I’d like to prove you wrong on that.”

This girl was actually insane. Like needs to be in a psych ward type of crazy. First, she shows up at Sunset’s own home, sniffing around things she shouldn’t be. Then, she stalks Sunset to the park and makes it a point to annoy her so damn bad Sunset could barely breathe right, and now she’s trying to be friends?!

This just further proves how stupid humans are.

The anger and confusion must have been apparent on Sunset’s face as the girl spoke up again, “I don't have any ill intent. Certainly not, 'experiments.' If I'm being honest, I don't have any friends either… never really have.”

“So why in the absolute hell would you want to be friends with someone like me? I’ll hurt you and won't give a damn. That's what I do.”

“Why do you feel the need to do that?” Twilight questioned.

“I do what's necessary,” Sunset answered in a grumble.

“Why is it necessary?” Twilight continued to pry.

“This isn't a damn therapy session.”

That seemed to quiet the girl as her mouth snapped shut before she brought a hand to her chin in thought, “I know you're trying to scare me away but my offer still stands. My peers don't like me enough to even try to be friendly and you… are quite interesting I should admit.”

The redhead stood up straight and took in a deep breath before moving to open her door, forcing Twilight out of the way.

“Well, you have my number now.” Sunset spat before slamming her front door closed.

The former unicorn stared into the abyss of her small home, her mind silent yet racing with so many thoughts at the same time.

‘What in Tirek’s small balls just happened?’