• Published 30th Jul 2023
  • 1,554 Views, 126 Comments

A Shimmer and Sparkle - Skyreads



A mean and bitter unicorn turned human gets her world flipped by a much to curious scientist.

  • ...
5
 126
 1,554

20. Through The Mirror

The Sunday afternoon after a night that had caused her to wake up with a major headache, Sunset Shimmer took the last bite of her cucumber sandwich before brushing off the crumbs on her black ripped jeans. Her orange cat purred by her side as the chilly wind bristled by. The redhead brought her redwood guitar into her lap and started to strum random chords.

She hummed goallessly as the wind whispered in her ears. If it were her choice she'd be in bed, still moping and avoiding the world. Unfortunately for her, she had the only cat in the world that liked to go outside like a dog. So there she was, leaned up against a tall tree on a tall, vacant hill that sat a bit away from the busy park despite the ever-growing cold wind.

A random leopard gecko had rested itself on her shoulder, contrasting against her black leather jacket. When she finished the song she had been playing she grabbed her apple juice that had been sitting in her lunch bag and took a sip before playing the acoustic instrument again.

Allowing herself to enjoy the music she started to sing with an inhale, “I thought that I could trust you, nevermind
Why all the switching sides?
Where do I draw the line?
I guess I'm too naive to read the signs,

She paused to hastily wipe away the tears that escaped her eyes. She took a deep breath and continued the song in her mind, “I'm just lookin' for some real friends
All they ever do is let me down
Every time I let somebody in
Then I-

“Yoo Hoo!” a posh voice cut her off, “Sunset, darling! Is that you?”

Sunset rushed to dry her face as she had tears rolling down her cheeks again, she then turned to the voice annoyed that she had been interrupted. She saw a polished young woman with done-up royal purple hair at the bottom of the hill. She was wearing a pale purple fitted dress that went to her mid-thighs. Matching sheer tights with tiny blue diamond-shaped designs covered her legs leading down to her white bowed pumps. The one summoning her attention was also holding a purple sun umbrella. Rarity called again to the former unicorn, “Oh, it is you! What a surprise to see you!” She exclaimed from a distance.

“What?” Sunset asked, not making an effort to shout back as she pretended not to hear the fashionista.

“Oh!” Rarity replied as she seemed to fall for Sunset’s gull, “Give me a moment dear! I’ll meet you up there!”

Sunset did not reply. She stared deadly at the sky as she listened to Rarity struggle up the hill for several minutes.

“Maybe coming to the park in heels was not the best idea…” Rarity said breathlessly as she reached the top, “Then again, I wasn't expecting to climb a hill.”

Sunset strummed her guitar, she replied in a monotone, “I wasn’t expecting to run into you here of all places.”

“Yes,” Rarity agreed as she caught her breath, “You are right but my little sister and her friends wanted to come here. And as a responsible big sister, I’m acting as their chaperone. I decided to go for a stroll and that's when I saw you up here.”

“Mmm,” Sunset hummed as she switched chords.

“Your playing is beautiful,” the designer commented, “I had no idea you played the guitar.”

Sunset nodded, “...Flash taught me.”

Rarity smiled, “Oh, that’s so sweet!”

The guitar player nodded. Rarity cleared her throat to break the silence and hopefully, awkwardness. The ivory-skinned teenager knew Sunset was reticent but at the moment that dial seemed to be turned up to eleven.

“Do you mind if I sit with you?” Rarity tried. When Sunset shrugged Rarity took the initiative and squeezed herself onto the blanket the redhead had down. The closed-off girl continued to strum her guitar with a sad look on her face.

Rarity jumped a bit as she noticed something on a leather-clad shoulder, “O-oh, darling, there's… a lizard on you,” she pointed. Sunset looked at the creature, “It’s a geico.” She stated nonchalantly.

The fashionista nodded slowly, “Right. Forgive me, I’m not as enlightened with types of animals as Fluttershy is.”

Sunset once again shrugged. Suddenly a tabby made itself known as it stood up and stretched. Rarity gasped, finally, she had a topic to use to converse with Sunset, “ A cat!” She reached out and scratched the under of his chin, “I have a cat as well! Her name is Opalescence! She is a darling girl that I love to spoil!”

Sunset adjusted the instrument on her lap, “He’s more of a dog than a cat.”

The other girl giggled, “How so?”

“He likes to force me to go outside. I planned on being depressed today but Magma wanted to be outside.” Sunset informed as she picked up the pace of her strumming.

“Sounds like he's a good companion then,” Rarity replied. She barely continued her excitement when she finally saw the fiery-haired girl smile.

“Yeah, he is.”

“Darling, If you don't mind me asking, are you alright?” Rairy asked. Sunset paused her strumming and looked at her with curiosity and caution like she was ready to put up another wall in front of the one already standing tall.

Rarity tried to explain, “It’s just you seem very upset. To be honest, you’ve always been closed off but it appeared you were opening up a bit. That seems to have backtracked- along with you mentioning your previous plans before, dear magma changed them, I am worried.”

“Why would you be worried about me? It's not like we're friends.” Sunset dismissed as she slumped against the tree.

Unexpected disappointment filled Rarity, “I know we haven't always gotten along, but I truly do wish to get to know you-”

“You’ll change your mind. Everypo- one eventually does,” Sunset interrupted.

There was silence between them.

“I won’t. Please, allow me to show you that. What happened that made you feel this way?” Rarity asked, keeping her face and voice sincere. Sunset blinked the wetness from her eyes as she shifted to play with the A string.

“I just-” she sighed, “I lost something important to me. It was my fault.”

“Did something happen with your friend outside of Canterlot High?” Rarity asked, scooting closer. Teal eyes fought a strong fight to keep the tears contained. Rarity placed a hand on Sunset's unoccupied shoulder in comfort, “Again, I'm aware we don't know each other well yet but I would be happy to listen and offer any advice I can.”

The former bully thought for a moment before giving in, “I- my friend is into science, so she's discovered something that she’s become obsessed with learning about and experimenting with. I think that it's too dangerous, too many bad things can happen with it but she either doesn't or won't understand why she needs to be more careful. Personally, I wish I would have done more to deflect her from magic so she would leave it alone!”

Sunset looked up at the fashion designer, who nodded as she reflected the information and she began to configure some advice, “Before I am able to start, what do you mean by magic?”

The amber-skinned girl's face dropped completely, then she slapped a palm to her face, “Discords floating shit,” she cursed.

“Well, that's one I haven't heard before,” Rarity giggled.

“It's hard to explain without going into the full story,” was all Sunset said. Rarity wanted to know more but she didn't want to lose the openness Sunset had given her. So, she had chosen not to pry, the reserved girl would explain when she was ready.

“Alright, I understand, darling,” Rarity started, “you, of course, have explained your opposition, correct?”

Sunset nodded, “That's what the fight was about. She was mad I wont help. I-i tried to explain or even comprise. I just didn't want things to go as far as she wanted to go.” Sunset's eyes went from sad to self-deprecating, “I must have been controlling without realizing. That's why no one ever wants to be around me- not for the long term.”

A dam had broken and rivers of tears strolled down her cheeks. As much as she hated to be crying in front of someone else, she couldn't press the stop button. Sunset reached up to swipe her face but a soft cloth had beat her to it.

“No Po- body has ever wanted to be my friend. So I drove people away from me and from themselves because I HATED being forced to see others be happy while I had to be the outsider,” she paused her emotionally charged rant to catch her breath, “And now I've ruined everything with the ONE person to ever actually give me a chance!”

Rarity rubbed circles into the crying girl's back as she continued to keep her face clean. When Sunset was able to finally catch her breath she kept her eyes averted. Her warm amber face was now a bright red and Rarity couldn't tell if that was from her intense crying or embarrassment. Mostly like, it was both.

“I-i’m sorry. I didn't mean to-” A manicured finger hushed her.

“Please, don't apologize. There's nothing wrong with a good cry and rant.” Rarity reassured. She noticed the feline had snuggled itself further into his human parent like he was providing his own version of solace. Sunset's hand reached down and scratched the in-between of his ears.

“Do you feel better?” The ensemble innovator asked with a knowing smile as she brushed back a loose strand of crimson hair.

Sunset let out a lax chuckle, “I hate to admit it but yeah.”

“Good.” Rarity said with pride, “Now, to set something straight. Don't beat yourself down. It's not going to help you- if anything you're making yourself feel worse. I have a feeling, darling, that your friend is not necessarily upset with you. Call it a woman's intuition.”

Sunset gave a look that was asking Rarity to elaborate more, so she did, “From what you explained your friend's fixation with conquering this, uh, ‘magic’ is from a source of her own self-doubt. I think you should give her some space, for a day or two, so she can focus on her thoughts. Figure things out within herself but still, let her know that you care so deeply about her. Instead of channeling your anxiety into stopping what she's endeavoring you should use it to guide her in staying safe.”

Sunset nodded as she processed the recommendation, “Yeah, I think you're right, Rarity,” she smiled at her new friend, “Thank you.”

She reached over and hugged the purple ringlet-haired girl, who happily embraced back, “I'm happy to be of help.”

“Rarity!” a high-pitched voice yelled. The girl in question whipped her head towards the sound, “Duty calls. I'll have to get back to my sister and her friends.”

The teenager in a polished, preppy outfit, stood and began her adventure down the hill. She stopped and turned to the fiery girl, “See you tomorrow, dear?”

Sunset gave a warm smile back, “Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow!”

The two waved each other goodbye. Sunset sat back against the tree feeling a million times lighter. The sky appeared brighter and the grass seemed softer.

Maybe everything would still turn out okay. No matter what she'd be on Twilight's side- she just needed to let her know that.


Princess Twilight's hoof steps echoed the Crystal Castle's throne room. Her friends were nearby whispering to each other and taking quick looks back at her.

Her teacher had left the throne room claiming she needed a moment alone.

“Twilight, darling? Are you alright?” Her fashion-wise friend asked. The princess of friendship paused her pacing to look at her concerned friends, “I- I don't know,” she sighed, “That pony was saying some really… horrible things. About herself, I've never heard some pony talk like that. She also recognized me but I've never met her before.”

“Well you are a princess now, maybe that's why she knew you?” Fluttershy's gentle voice suggested.

Princess Twilight shrugged, “I-I've only been a princess for a week.”

“That doesn't change things, we are technically celebrities after all our awesome rewards!” Rainbow Dash said, floating just above their heads. The rest nodded in agreement.

The bookish pony wanted to agree, but the look on that unicorn's face said something different. She looked shocked and sad.

“I suppose but there was just something in her eyes that said something different. That mare looked so… distraught.” Princess Twilight said with worry, “I wonder where she went…” the purple mare wondered.

She must not have heard the throne room doors open as a voice she had known most of her life answered, “Sunset Shimmer has gone… somewhere far away.”

The princess of the sun entered along with the princesses of the moon and love.

“Sunset Shimmer?” Princess Twilight asked.

The white-coated royal exhaled a melancholic breath, “Yes she was once my pupil. Long before you.”

Princess Twilight's eyes went wide at the information, “Why was she upset? What's happened? Why…was she so sad?”

Princess Celestia held up a pausing hoof, the large coverage golden horseshoe glimmered in the light, “I know it's a lot, Twilight. Sunset has always been… troubled. She is like you in some ways; smart, powerful, and full of potential. Unfortunately for Sunset, she had many problems with her peers, with her aggressive temper, and outside sources that I believe encouraged her infuriated loneliness.”

The young alicorn felt her friends lend touches of comfort as the oldest alicorn continued, “Sunset was always more on the rebellious side. I never knew how to handle it. Confining her closer to me and hoping she would grow out of it, I learned would be a grave mistake. She chose to give in to her thirst for knowledge in forbidden magic.”

The nation ruler gained a long look in her eyes, “To make things worse no little pony would give her the chance of being her friend. She grew greedy and hungry for power. Eventually, it led her to part ways with our world to join another.”

~~~~

Princess Twilight found herself reflecting on the conversation when Sunset Shimmer had first reunited with Equestria. She also was in a similar predicament of pacing the Canterlot Castle throne room as she again waited on her teacher with her friends fretting about her.

“This doesn't surprise me,” Rainbow Dash’s raspy voice started, “Princess Celestia’s dropout coming after Twilight’s crown. It's obvious she got jealous and spiteful of your success.” The fast pegasus accused. Her friends agreed but the princess of friendship kept to herself. The situation didn't feel right. She knew it had to be a lot more complicated than that. A part of her questioned if the thief was Sunset Shimmer. It couldn't have been anypony else though… unless somebody on the other side also knew of the portal. If it wasn't Sunset then it was someone who knew portal magic well enough to figure out how to bring it back to life. She had barely caught a glimpse of the other ponies face but it didn't look like the distressed mare she had witnessed before. The pin of the fiery-maned unicorn’s cutie mark was the only evidence she had to indict her.

The sound of hooves and something rolling had caught the six ponies' attention. They turned and bowed as three equestrian royals walked into the throne room. Guards followed and a group pulled in the crystal portal mirror that previously had a large webbing crack until it slowly started to mend back to a polished surface.

The mirror reflected the room's wary emotion. The bravest of them all, Pinkie Pie, without a thought at all placed a bubblegum pink hoof on the glass surface. Twilight and her friends jumped. When the mirror had no reaction they relaxed.

A midnight blue aura of magic encased the pink hoof and removed it from the magical artifact. Princess Luna gave a disapproving look.

“Pinkie,” Applejack’s southern draw sighed, “Ya need to be careful touchin’ random magic stuff.”

Pinkie hopped back to her friends, “Aww but I was just curious!”

Rarity regarded the eccentric pony in a motherly tone, “Yes, darling but that is a gateway to another world. We don't need to lose you, along with the crown, to it.”

A whole other world.” Princess Twilight thought with curiosity and wonder. For some reason, the thought or even possibility had never crossed her mind yet a doorway to a different reality stood in front of her.

A tall pale figure stepped gracefully to her side, “Princess Celestia? Why do you think she came back to steal my crown? How did she repair the portal?” The young alicorn asked her mentor.

The many decades-old alicorn once again had a sad and distant look in her eye, “I wish I knew, Twilight. Sunset was always hard to read- for me at least. I presume my recent attempt to make amends with her through the journal did not work as I had hoped. As for how she fixed the portal I also do not know,” she paused to take a step closer to the gateway, “Starswirl had been the only one to create the reality doorways. He is the only one who knows how they work. I'm not sure how Sunset was able to figure it out.”

Princess Twilight tapped a hoof to her chin, “If you don't ask me minding princess but what do you mean you tried to make amends recently? What does a journal have to do with that?”

Equestria’s ruler looked at her student, “There was a pair of journals with message magic that Sunset and I had once used to communicate when needed.”

The magic prodigie’s thinking cap lit up as she trotted around the portal, “When you sent this message, you're sure it went through? It traveled dimensions?”

Princess Celestia nodded in confirmation, “Yes I know that it appeared in Sunset’s journal, the magic seal shined. That confirms it appeared in the other journal.”

“What does a journal have to do with getting the portal to work?” Rainbow Dash polled.

Rarity voiced an agreement to the question. Pinkie Pie bounced up, “it's easy! She's gonna take the magic from the journal and put it in the mirror to force it back open!”

“Oh,” Rainbow shrugged as the rest of the room nodded. The princess blushed and emitted a nervous, “Yes! Pinkie, you're a genius.”

Truthfully she hadn't thought of doing that. Twilight had only been confirming that the connection between worlds was still open with the portal off. Thanks to her bubbly friend’s random moments of intellect she now understood what the other side had done.

“If that's what you think we should do, it needs to be done quickly,” Princess Luna stated as she stood by the mirror, “The main element of harmony is too important to waste time. The longer it's lost, the harder it will be to track down.”

The purple-coated pony nodded and with no effort, teleported the tools and built an extension to the mirror that would allow the magic to transport efficiently. She then turned to Princess Celestia and watched the journal in question appear from thin air. Old purple eyes gave that same dejected look the ruler had at any mention of her past student.

Princess Twilight offered a reassuring smile before connecting the journal. The room lit up as the portal reopened. The glass reflection turned to a white blank surface. A familiar pink hoof reappeared and tapped the void causing it to whirlpool, she then stuck her head of curls into the portal.

“Pinkie!” Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack yelled in unison.

“Oh dear,” Fluttershy gasped, looking pale as Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. The princess of night joined the eye-rolling club as she used her magic to pull Pinkie Pie’s head out of the portal. Pinkie came back dazed and dizzy.

Princess Cadence found herself quietly giggling with a couple of guards. Twilight's heart started to thump as she would soon have to travel to a strange new world and track down a pony that she barely knew to get her crown of magic back.

“Alright let's go!” Rainbow declared. Applejack nodded and joined the trot forward. Pinkie Pie shook the dizziness off and hopped back up, ready for the new adventure.

“Oh, d-do we all have to?” Fluttershy whispered fearfully and she made herself smaller.

“I need to pack a bag first. Who knows what they wear over there!” Rarity stated to her friends as the farmer playfully rolled her eyes at the poy's concern.

Spike shifted nervously and kept to himself; nonetheless, he gripped his family members' tail. Even when he was scared he would always be at her side. As the group started to head towards the gateway, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia stepped in front of it.

“I'm sorry,” Princess Celestia said guilty, “but, this is something Twilight must do on her own.”

Her sister agreed with a nod, “Yes this world is unknown to us. It could cause an imbalance to that world or pose a threat to us if something were to happen and you were all gone.”

Spike watched the light and bravery die in Twilight's face and smile. He had to fix that.

“Well, I still get to go, right? She needs her number-one assistant!” He proclaimed. Spike smiled brightly when Twilight looked at him with a thankful smile.

The smile faded again as the tallest in the room declined the request with a sad face, “We can't risk it. Twilight is already too much. We can't do more.”

Twilight sighed but made her way forward, “Alright, I understand,” she then turned to her friends, “I'll be back as soon as possible.”

A saddle bag was levitated onto the newest alicorn’s bag as she gave a goodbye hug to her friends. Spike watched as Twilight readied herself to traverse through the portal. He felt his legs shake. He had never been separated from her- not for a prolonged unknown amount of time like this. He couldn't let her go alone. He couldn't be without her. He needs her and she needs him.

When she finally disappeared behind the surface Spike felt his legs move without his permission as he ran after her and into the portal. The shouts of his name and disapproval did nothing to stop him.

The throne room hushed to silence as Twilight Sparkle and her trusted companion were officially gone and in another place that no pony knew anything about.


The forest lay dormant as the creatures that resided in it prepared for hibernation despite the morning dew as the sun was preparing to rise. In front of the land of trees sat a large brick building known as Canterlot High School. The school was a beacon of magic. A secret that only the principals knew as the job to keep it in control was passed down. That job had been put in jeopardy as the magical statue that had previously been used to filter that raw, powerful magic was now gone. The consequences were slowly evolving as the forest was growing stronger. Animals were mutating, plants were gaining will, and the weather had grown bipolar, only above the woodland.

Suddenly a light busted into the middle of the grove. A strong vertical whirlpool of wind centered in the air. With the collecting magic the school held home to, the whirlpool was able to construct itself open. A vortex opened and a figure was thrown out. Barely a minute later a smaller body followed.

“Ugh, that hurt…” the taller figure groaned.

“Twilight?” a young voice asked.

“Spike?” Twilight responded, surprised to hear her baby dragon's voice. She had thought she was meant to come here completely alone. Her eyes trained on the source of the voice and she blinked in surprise at finding a purple and green dog, “Are… you a dog?”

Spike turned in a circle, checking himself out, “Um, looks like it, but… I have no idea what you are!” he admitted.

Princess Twilight picked up the gangly limbs and examined the long stalks with eyes as wide as saucers. Panic filled her veins as she prepared to cry out. A paw covered her mouth, “Calm down, Twilight. We probably shouldn't be too loud.”

Twilight nodded, knowing he was right as she took in deep breaths to calm herself down. Spike wagged his tail as he noticed a large building past the trees when he looked around, “Come on there's a palace or something over here!”

“Spike! Slow down!” The alicorn-turned-human softly yelled after him. She had no idea how to move this foreign body. The princess’s body was covered in clothes that she knew she hadn't traveled through the portal with. Her back legs were covered in knee-high periwinkle leg warmers with blocky black oxford shoes. A periwinkle sweater vest laid over a near-white blue long-sleeved collared shirt with puffy sleeves. The layered tops were tucked into a black skirt that had a skinny navy blue belt with white stars on it. Rarity will be happy to hear about this. She placed a hand in front of her like she would a hoof and began to walk forward on all fours.

As the two reached the edge of the forest Spike tapped her, “Uh, I don't think that's how you are supposed to walk.”

His purple paw pointed to a figure inside the building walking by a fogged entrance door. The tall, leaned figure was upright on their hind legs. Twilight looked down at the strange body she was transformed into. She placed her hand on a tree and pulled herself up on wobbly legs. She stumbled a bit and Spike cheered her on as she practiced walking on her hind legs. When they both felt she had the hang of it they continued to the building.

Twilight struggled up the steps as she kept herself upright with the railing, “Come on, Spike. Let's find a library in this place, I don't want to be trapped in this body for longer than I have to,” she confessed in a whine. Spike nodded in agreement, his collar jingling with the movement of his head.

When they reached the top, Twilight flipped the long hair that kept falling in front of her face and concentrated her magic to open the door with her telekinesis. Assuming her magic performance had worked, Twilight slammed right into the back door.

“You don't have your horn, Twilight,” Spike stated like it was obvious and she was supposed to know that.

What?!” she shouted with panic and her hands flew up to her forehead to feel that she indeed had no spiral horn. She almost cried, “We need to hurry and get home!”

Princess Twilight grabbed the door handle and flew the door open. Spike and the princess stepped into a large quiet hall. Spike tapped the metal vaults attached to the wall, “This place seems to be a school of some kind.”

“That means there's definitely a library here,” Twilight grinned. Spike smiled back happy to see the portal had dropped them off somewhere they would have an advantage. They both locked up when footsteps and the sound of rickety wheels were coming down the hallway.

The princess let out a breath as, what appeared to be a janitor, was surveying the hall, “Excuse me!” she called out to them.

The janitor looked at them and responded, “Can I help you?”

“Yes,” Twilight pleaded before she stumbled as she got closer to the cleaner, “I'm new here, can you direct me to the library, please?”

The janitor pulled out a broom, “Just take a left turn down the hall and you'll be there. It can't be missed.”

“Thank you!” The princess of friendship said happily before running in that direction, her dragon-turned-dog following her. The janitor shrugged at seeing the dog and went back to their job.

The two walked into the library and the princess gleamed, “Perfect, we can use this to find out about this world and possibly find anything on Sunset.”

Spike nodded, “Yeah, but I wonder why didn't the portal shoot us out of the mirror on this side? Don't you think it's weird we just popped out in the middle of a forest near a school?”

“Actually it's quite easy, and we got very lucky. When ‘Sunset’ ran back through the portal she forced it back closed. So, because we didn't have a gateway on this side open, our side made its own entrance wherever this world had enough magic or the strongest connection to our world. Luckily I think we are in the right place.”

“Makes sense,” Spike said, as if he weren't the one to ask.

Twilight giggled at his antics as she started grabbing any books that caught her attention that could aid her. Satisfied with her tall stack of tomes, she sat down at a desk table and flipped the first book open, “Alright, let's get to work, Spike.”

As she started to bury her head in the books, students started to trickle into the school's early morning. One of the pupils that had vibrant red and gold hair passed by the library doors, her own head buried in her phone.

Author's Note:

Howdy,
I ended up having so much fun writing this chapter I couldn't put it down so I hope you enjoy!

The song Sunset sings is Real Friends by Camila Cabello

Also every ones critiques and error fixes are much appreciated :)