• Published 25th Mar 2022
  • 1,882 Views, 158 Comments

Old Iron - Fujimi200SX



The North Western Railway's famous Number 2 finds himself in Equestria.

  • ...
4
 158
 1,882

13: C'est la vie.

“But then,” Edward continues, smiling as he looks at the small group of ponies in front of him. “After 303 years, six young ponies came across us. Two are princesses, two are in law enforcement, and two are simply really good friends.”

The six ponies in front of Edward, weary and weak from sadness, smile.

“And so concludes my story. At least, until I’m in a condition to get into the finer details. Any questions?”

The ponies stare, glancing at each other as they ponder what to say.

“Whuh… What happened to the cloud?” the yellow earth pony named Sunny Starscout asks. “Do you have an idea of what it could’ve been?"

Edward sighs. “I don’t know what it was, but I know who caused it.”

“Who?”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Edward replies, grimly.

Sunny is taken aback. She couldn’t believe the vile statement against the princess she had loved all her life.

“N-N-... No! It couldn’t have been her! She would never do such a thing to Equestria!”

“Twilight was mentally unstable, Sunny,” Edward states in a serious tone. “She couldn’t cope with immortality.”

“Then why did YOU do so well?! A-And what about Celestia? Or Luna? Or Cadance?!”

“She was just different. Practically a foal in an adult body, when all is said and done.”

“Whuh… WHY?!”

“It’s… infuriating, my dear. But when I was in France, I learned a phrase that perfectly encapsulates most matters. C'est la vie. That’s life.”

“And It sucks,” the white multi-colored pegasus named Zipp Storm says.

“Indeed,” Edward replies. “I’m sorry, Sunny. But Twilight isn’t the perfect nation-saving princess you’ve made her out to be. Having been in more than several therapy sessions with her, I can tell you a lot about how she really was. But those will have to be stories for another day. Now. Do any of you have other questions?”

“What did you mean by dreaming your dream?” the red earth pony named Sprout Cloverleaf asks.

“We lived in our dreams, doing whatever we wanted. Creating a perfect Sodor, living out our lives on Sodor like normal, anything we wanted to do, we did. Those were the powers given to us by Princess Luna herself.”

“Huh…”

“What happened to the other princesses? And Thorax?” the violet unicorn named Izzy Moonbow asks.

“Unfortunately, I don’t know. I don’t know where they were when Twilight snapped, and I don’t know where they could’ve gone. Perhaps we can go looking for them sometime in the future.”

“How the hay have you three survived this long?” the pale yellow earth stallion named Hitch Trailblazer asks.

“Good parts. That's about all we can say,” Edward replies. “But frankly, I don’t care how we survived. What matters is that we did.”

“So…” the pink pegasus named Pipp Petals pauses, choosing her words. “What do you want to do now?”

“Well, I think a reseating of all our parts is in order. As is some new oil. And definitely some grease. The bearings will have a fit if we tried moving them after all this time.”

“How the heck do we get you three to a place we can repair you?! We can’t just pull you!” Hitch exclaims.

“Yes you can!” Edward replies. “If you have a steam locomotive, you can fire it up and use that to pull us.”

The looks on the ponies’ faces tell Edward what he needs to know.

“So you don’t have a working train, huh?"

"Well, we do, but they aren't the right gauge," Zipp clarifies.

"In that case, you ponies are strong, aren’t you? Just assemble a team and you can pull us the old-fashioned way.”

The ponies all sigh except for Zipp.

“So, one last thing before we assemble that team…” She points her hoof to the rusty red scrap engine next to Edward. “What in the world is your story? Edward didn’t mention you at all.”

“That was on purpose,” Edward replies. His eyes narrow, and a devilish smirk appears on his face as he glances over at the engine. “Buuuut… We have an extra six hours for another life story, right James?”

The scarlet red engine groans. “At least let me get a washdown first!”

Edward only laughs. "Even after over three hundred years of being in that dirty state of yours, you still care so much about your paint. Then again, if you didn't care about your paint, you wouldn't be James!"

James returns the laugh. "Too true, love."

Edwards purrs in response.

Hitch suddenly groans. "Don't tell me you two actually refer to each other like that..."

Both Edward and James burst out laughing.

"Of course not!" Edward finally replies. "We'd never be that tacky. We talk like any old friends would."

"We just wanted to see how you six would react," James adds, causing Hitch to groan.

"Seven, you mean," Edward says.

"Seven?" James asks, looking at the blue engine.

"Yes. Seven. These six here, plus that blue unicorn mare that's been watching us from the bushes over there for the better part of the morning."

Everypony including James look into the forest, trying to find who Edward is talking about.

"Where is she?" Zipp asks.

"She was just over there! The mare with the kinky hair! Did none of you see her?"

"Edward, we don't see her," James says.

Edward sighs. "Ah well. We can figure it out later."

"Sorry for asking," Zipp begins, " but are you two really in love with each other? Even if that joke you made was, well, a joke, it kind of feels like you are."

"Zipp, science has proven that two people WILL grow closer together if they only have each other to talk to for a long time. We've been stuck with each other for over three hundred. I'd bet my boiler that ANYONE could fall in love in that time."

"...Oh. I guess you're right."

"And Edward was already into men to begin with, so that certainly helped the process," James begrudgingly says.

Edward chuckles. "Now, can one of you go assemble a team to pull us out of this forest? I'd love to see a field before the day is done," Edward says.

"And I'd like my paint cleaned as soon as possible," James adds.

"Tisk Tisk, Rail Rocket."

"Oh go to hell, Old Iron!"


Author's Note:

An absolute rollercoaster of a few final parts, but It's done.

Sweet Mother of Luna It's actually done. Just a day before New Year, at the time of writing.

My first ever completed longfic.

God damn does it feel good.

I'm gonna be honest, a big part of me wanted to continue this story. A big part of me really did. But I also don't want to drag this out. I want this to be accessible. And while I could likely set up this ending a lot better with some outside help (I am but a one-pone show, after all), I'm happy with the leadup.

(ALSO I'VE BEEN PLANNING THIS ENDING SINCE THE BEGINNING SO YAY!!!)

Anyway, I really appreciate those that stuck around for this story, even through my atrocious writer's block. It has been a blast to write this and to bring my own version of TTTE x MLP to life.

Whether you're a pony fan, a pony fan that also loves Thomas, or you are a Thomas Fan who has somehow made it onto this site, thank you for the likes, constructive criticism, or just being here to read. I appreciate you all. I hope to bring more stories of an equal or higher caliber than this one to this wonderful site.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I can't wait to hear feedback or thoughts on particular details of the story.

Now then! While I do have a plethora of other stories I want to write, be it the sequel, separate works, or side stories to this one, those stories will have to wait...

...for another day!

Comments ( 19 )

James coming along for the ride? Who's next: Diesel 10?

11467260
[The Author of Old Iron prefers to not spoil/screw over any future stories, whether they get written or not, and will thus refrain from answering this question. The author would also prefer if you put a spoiler bar over your message.]

How come james in gen 5 world and how they find edward ?

Una
Una #4 · Jan 5th, 2023 · · ·

This ending is rather confusing and i hate to say it, but rushed. Overall it was good for the most part, but that ending was lackluster at best. Hearing the theme songs was a nice touch though.

11469153
Honestly, yeah. I agree. I think I'm gonna sit down and either add a few scenes or do a few rewrites.

If I may, what parts in particular need work? Any ideas on how I could improve them?

Dang twilight went kaboom, but a nice ending none the less

First of all, let me just say that this story is absolutely amazing. The way you wrote it out and the fact that you used Victor Tanzig's universe to set the story in, and the references to Sodor Fallout is amazing. I really hope to see a possible sequel or James' side of the story of how he arrived. Heck, it would be amazing to see what happened to the other engines of Sodor after those two came to Equestria! This story kept me hooked and reading 'till the very end, it was so good. Actually, the ending left me speechless for quite some time. I both loved it and despised it, but it left me with sooo many questions. Like why did Twilight snap? Was it really her who blew up? Where does Opaline fit into this? How were the Unity Crystals made if it wasn't her who threatened Equestria, but Twilight herself? And why the EVERLIVING BUCK DID YOU MAKE EDWARD AND JAMES A THING?! WHY?!


Anyway, I'd just like to say thank for this story. I never knew that I needed something like this until now, and I sincerely hope you continue to make more! :rainbowkiss: :twilightsmile:

11470827
This ending has been planned since the very start of this story. Since the story was started before we got any real information on Opaline, yeah, it does clash with that. The well-timed publishing of a story named "Lead Us Not" written by "AuroraDawn" (the same bastard that wrote Rainbow Factory) basically solidified my headcanon of Twilight going berserk. It's just much better and (in my opinion) expands greatly on the Alicorn mentality.

And I honestly don't know how the hay Opaline would fit into this. Buuuut there's quite a long time between Edward, James, and Sierra #3 running from that cloud and the Generation 5 crew meeting him, so maybe I can fit her somewhere there.

I remember having a part of me that wanted to bring Henry into the equation instead, as sort of a "What if THIS was why Edward and Henry left the show?" buuut James sounded more enticing to write, especially after some of the ideas I'm writing into his story came to light.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm all ears!

Oh and, no promises, but It's not like the lack of other engines next to Edward, James, and Sierra #3 means there were never other non-faceless vehicles that came to Equestria~!

11470848
Hol' up. :rainbowhuh:

You mean there were other non-faceless engines in Equestria besides Edward and James?! WHO?!

11470868
Take that as you will! I only said there might be~!

Una

11469506
1. How did James get there?
2. Everything felt like it just flew by without explanation.
3. What happened to Luna or making Edward a prince?

11472810
1: Was meant to be a surprise. I've planned this since the beginning.
2: Understandable, been working on that a bit.
3: Totally forgot! I'll have to find a good place to insert that. On second thought, I'll keep it as is. It'll help me remember to not make mistakes like it.

Extremely well written for a first fic, it takes a tone and sticks with it, and I assume things like James just randomly appearing are planned to be explained in a sequel, overall really good for your first long fic!

Good luck with your future writing!

11535514
That will be a hearty THANK YOU from me! I really am proud of this fic. I never truly expected it to be received so well, or to actually finish the freaking thing. I can't wait to get the sequel out, as it will allow me to expand the universe and properly delve into the workings of Equestria's rapidly progressing railway network.

Anyway, I hope to entertain you with future and existing stories of mine. Have a good one!

11572154
Indeed. 2750 Papyrus was the first steam locomotive to achieve 100mph without a shadow of a doubt.

11645937
dwag that story was like a punch to the gut in a good way

The flying Scotsman news owners twilight Sparkle Equestria girls Fujimi200SX

Hey , have you see of video of Trainboy 11 on youtube ? mabye this video is your new story on future story ? Sodor’s American engines celestia and the ghost of a C&O greenbrier - YouTube

When will the sequel Rail Rocket be coming out?

Login or register to comment