• Published 1st Mar 2022
  • 1,201 Views, 15 Comments

My Faithful Student - femikol



In another Equestria, Sunset Shimmer - student of Princess Luna, must navigate through life and friendship in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 15
 1,201

The Ticket Matter

Some days, Luna cursed her inability to wake up without some form of grogginess.

Indeed, though she was quite active during the night dreamwalking, she too succumbed to the morning bleariness that permeated the minds of those she watched over for over a millennia. It was not ideal - certainly not for one who’d dedicated her life to guiding her ponies to the happiest lives she could. But if it was a curse she could not break over the course of her long, long lifetime, then it was simply an immutable facet of her, like it or not. She was only equine, like the rest of her subjects.

But, perhaps, this grogginess only bolstered the indescribable feeling that consumed her when she woke up to… sunlight.

She hadn’t so much as moved from her bed sheets, with her left hoof placed in such a way that she could not see the imprint the light had made on her floor. She could not see the familiar arching shape it made as it delicately filtered into her room, bouncing off her floor, desk, bed, and every other object in her room, mundane or not. But she could see the bright blue of the sky from her window, the glowing white marble of the castle, and the bright greens of the summer leaves, down to the way they rustled as their ancient progenitor swayed in what wind there was that morning.

She’d forgotten, she realized, what morning looked like from her bed.

She brought her gaze back down to her hoof, took a deep breath, and slowly slid it across her bedsheets, observing the creases it made and taking note of the ticklish feeling it made as it rubbed against her hoof. It was no dream of hers. In fact, it was no dream at all.

Sister?

The events of yesterday hardly took effort to recall. She could remember them clear as crystal, of how Daybreaker had trapped her in the moon, of how Sunset, her student, had risen so valiantly to the challenge, fought hoof and horn to bring her back…

… and, of course, she remembered seeing 'Tia again, for the first time in a thousand years.

It still felt like a dream, even as she slowly rose from her bed, and her comforter crumpled and folded over itself as she placed her hooves onto the floor. Tentatively, she set one hoof in front of the other and coaxed herself to slowly trot over towards her window. Her desk was sidestepped, and she lifted up a hoof, and set it down upon the marble sill. She ran her hoof over the centuries-old cracks as if she was feeling them for the first time.

They were warm to the touch, and in the sun even more so.

Her heart nearly stopped as she looked - truly looked - up at the sun. It was bright of course, too bright, and she could scarce look at it for more than a moment before she had to pull her eyes away, though it did nothing to dampen her spirits.

Adrenaline began to course through her veins, and her heart’s beat increased threefold as she pushed herself off the sill. She had a foal’s grin on her face, she knew she did, but it did not stop her from once more sidestepping her desk, and breaking into a gallop towards her door.

The door glowed a deep blue before it was forced open. The guards on the other side yelped as it was forced open, but they may as well have not existed. It was unbecoming of a princess, yes, but even though this was no dream of hers, nor anypony else’s, the urge to see her sister again consumed all sense of decorum she possessed.

It was only a few hoofsteps to her sister’s room but it very well may have been across the continent. Her sister’s door was made of mahogany, and she could make out the etching of ‘Tia’s cutie mark, cut cleanly down the middle by the double doors. Two guards, clad in gold stood on either side of it didn't move so much as a muscle when Luna halted in front of the door, lifting up a shaking hoof, and knocking thrice.

“‘Tia?”

After arduous moments, much to her ecstasy, the door opened. Her heart which already beat so fast only accelerated in pace. Wordlessly she stepped through the door, her eyes prepared to dart around the room in search of her sister.

But they never had to.

There, sitting at a dusty table, her eyes transfixed on Luna with the same intensity she felt, sat Celestia. The air left Luna’s lungs as she silently made her way over to the chair next to her sister, the rustling of her hooves on the carpet more than loud enough, as she slowly slid it out from its place, for what had to be its first time in eons, and sat down.

Magic was what made her stand heads and shoulders higher than her subjects, and magic was what made her mane flow as it did. Magic was what darkened her coat, sharpened her features, and gave her the appearance she adopted. It took naught but a thought, a will, to dispel it and bring her back to the form she was born with. She closed her eyes as she did so, and shined brighter than every star in her sky before opening them again.

‘Tia was taller than her now, as she should be.

Opening her mouth, the back of Luna’s throat burned. It was dry, painful, and sticking to itself as she forced it open.

“Good morning, ‘Tia,” she said, “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes,” ‘Tia replied after a moment. She looked back at the table and ran a hoof along it. Rolling gray hills of dust piled up in front of her hoof and were pushed to the sides, "It was… refreshing," A moment passed as Luna waited for her to elaborate. Nothing, not even so much as a comment about how different the beds were.

So I’m the one who has to take charge then. I see,’ she gave ‘Tia a smile, “I’m glad,"

“I?”

The smile Luna created faltered, though it was only temporary. She brought her expression back to neutral, though it admittedly took some effort to not arch her eyebrow. ‘Yes, ‘Tia. ‘I’. What about that confuses–

...Oh. Oh, heavens, how long has it been?

“We noticed you use it last night when conversing with your student. Sunset?” ‘Tia said, “We thought you were only using it with her. Has the common tongue been adopted, Lu-lu?”

‘Tia’s tone was innocent, curious, though it carried an aura about it that withered Luna’s insides and caused her to shrink back. She lowered her gaze and shuffled in her seat. ‘Really. Only the next morning and already I feel like she’s scolding me,’ But perhaps it was just her.

“Yes,” she replied, “I’ve found it makes us far more approachable,"

“Is that so?” ‘Tia dragged her hoof across the table again, "Perhaps we… I… we should learn it. Later, perhaps,"

Luna offered her a smile, “Yes. I’m sure it will only help,"

Silence lingered between the sisters. A silence not passive, but one that sent Luna’s mind whirling. It had not been even a minute and it was already apparent. Never before had she struggled to talk to ‘Tia like this. Though perhaps, she thought to herself, it was to be expected. While not the whole reason, a thousand years was a long time, and sitting here now… it showed. ‘Does ‘Tia have a thousand years of memories, I wonder?

“I apologize for the dust. I could have sworn I told the servants to clean, but…”

“It is fine,"

Luna had to bite back a frown as she stared at ‘Tia. No, this simply will not do. Yes, her sister would no doubt need space to adjust, and Luna would be more than happy to provide, but – and perhaps this was selfish – she wanted her sister back, to talk and laugh with her like she did all those years ago, and while it may be presumptuous, she was sure ‘Tia wanted the same thing, "‘Tia,”

“Hm?”

“Would you join me for a walk?”

For a moment ‘Tia didn’t move. Hoof stopped halfway through another sweep of the table, and the stray dust particles that flew off became the only mobile aspect of her canvas. Her eyes were the first part of her to spring back into motion and flicked toward Luna before they turned back to the table. Silence continued to pass, until ‘Tia bit her lip, sucked in air, and held it before she deflated again, “We... will,” she finally said, and Luna’s heart soared.

It was that easy?’ Well, who was she to complain? Luna hopped off her chair and trotted towards the door. Reaching it, she turned back just in time to watch ‘Tia do the same, though upon her hooves hitting the floor she stumbled, nearly covering half the distance between her table and her bed before finally catching herself. Neither of the sisters said anything before ‘Tia looked up to meet Luna’s gaze, and gave a small smile.

“It appears our poise has rusted,”

Luna couldn’t help but chuckle.

“But we are happy to be back,"

‘Tia trotted up to Luna’s side and pushed open the door. She lifted a hoof and nearly took her first step, but Luna quickly draped her wing over her, or as much as she could. ‘Tia stopped and looked at her, though Luna paid no mind to the confusion on her sister’s face. She pulled herself closer and nuzzled ‘Tia before she retracted her wing.

“That makes two of us,”


“... but while Corrosion synergizes well pride, greed, and various "confident" emotions, arcanists have found that hatred works best as a conduit for its magics. The common theory is the intrinsic desire to inflict harm commonplace within. Fear is viable, but also volatile, having ample chance to backfire…

A smile graced Sunset’s face as she stretched out her limbs. Each one fought to take up as much of the bean bag as possible, and her horn flashed blue. A cyan glow of the same color spread over the current page of the book, hoisted it up, and lazily turned it over for her eyes to hungrily fall on the next set of words.

Library work was something Sunset would say she tolerated. Sure for all intents and purposes, it was nice that she had what was effectively a private library back in Canterlot, what with her many bookshelves each packed to bursting point with various books and scrolls, but it was messy, unorganized, for her eyes only.

The Library of Golden Oaks was different. Sure, while she called the shots on where everything was placed and how. Accessibility was everything, and accommodating the needs of others in the layout of the library was key, as unsavory of a prospect as it was. But on the plus side, it was an exercise in organization, something she might eventually need, even if it was a significant step down from being able to study directly under the princess herself.

But, as Sunset found herself lying down on one of Golden Oak’s few beanbags, the late summer sun piercing through the windows and bathing the treehouse in a cozy orange glow, she had to say it was worth it. The best part of her shifts at the library was when she got to flip the ‘OPEN’ sign on the front door around, knowing she’d been productive that day, then either hitting the town which was the norm, or during instances where she was feeling especially ponied-out, a quick self-lesson on dark magic was always therapeutic.

Hay, she couldn’t rely on the Elements to bail her out of everything, right?

That said, her first interruption came annoyingly fast. The sound of a hoof striking wood sounded twice from the front door. Sunset’s ears flicked, and her smile slid off as she tore herself from the book.

“Yes?” She sounded amicable enough.

“Miss Sunset!” A high-pitched, somewhat airy voice sounded, "Mail for you!”

Oh?

Sunset pulled her limbs toward herself and lazily rolled off the beanbag. Her hooves hoisted her back up to all fours and the page in her book dog-eared itself. She trotted to the door and let her magic flow to the knob, twisting and pulling it open.

On the other side of the door stood a gray pegasus; the mailmare, Ditzy. Saddlebags were slung over her barrel and each one was stuffed to bursting point with letters. Ditzy herself clutched a letter in her mouth, though the sender was a mystery as Sunset could only see its back. She dredged up the best smile she could, but it was half-hearted, a stark contrast from this mare whose smile threatened Pinkie’s.

Oh well. It’d have to do.

“Hey, Ditzy,”

Ditzy nodded, and her enthusiastic hum was enough to threaten to send the envelope flying from her mouth. While unintelligible, the presumed greeting was much appreciated. Sunset quickly reignited her horn and plucked the envelope from Ditzy’s mouth, "Thanks,” she tucked it behind her ear. Strange though, she couldn’t think of who’d be sending her mail at present, “Anything else for me?”

“No,” Ditzy shook her head, her smile waning slightly, "I’m afraid not. Sorry, Miss Sunset,"

Sunset hummed, and her eyes drifted lazily to the mystery envelope. A small corner of it peeked out from the corner of her vision, goading her, begging her to tear it open, "Understood, thank you, Ditzy," she brought a hoof to her mouth, "To be honest I wasn’t expecting anything," it was more to herself than to Ditzy.

Ditzy chuckled and covered her mouth, "I suppose correspondence with the princess is pretty sudden, huh?”

Wait a minute, what?

The confusion must have been present on her face as Ditzy’s smile immediately fell. Her hoof dropped back to the ground as her whole posture sank.

“Oh, was I holding it backward again? Sorry…”

Sunset barely registered Ditzy’s apology as her eyes flew back to the envelope. Immediately it was covered in a cyan glow and jostled from its cozy home, where it came to an abrupt halt in front of her and unceremoniously flipped over. Sure enough, what stared back at her - dark blue wax and all, was Luna’s cutie mark.

What the hay is in this letter that she can’t just send over the book?’ Something physical, obviously, but that was neither here nor there.

“Anyways, more mail to deliver…” Oh, right. Ditzy was here, “Take care, Miss Sunset,"

Sunset looked up just in time to see Ditzy’s wings fully spread and swing down. She shifted her hoof in front of her face just in time to block the dust the takeoff kicked up, and by the time she’d lowered it, some had settled in the entryway.

“For buck’s sake…”

Sunset rolled her eyes and turned back to the interior of Golden Oaks. Wind kicked up behind her as the door slammed shut. The mystery envelope floated lazily onto the checkout counter where it was joined by a stool, then by Sunset herself, who sat down and readjusted the envelope so it faced her perfectly.

She could spend time concocting various theories as to what it could be, but she had strong suspicions already. Almost automatically her eyes shot up to a calendar, one perched neatly behind the counter. August first.

Yup,

A glow of cyan magic punctured the top of the letter. Sunset’s hoof held the letter in place as the glow danced all the way across it, splitting the envelope completely open before vanishing. Another glow of cyan jerked the envelope upwards, tilting it up and dropping out both a folded piece of paper and sure enough, one golden ticket.

The Grand Galloping Gala at Canterlot Castle

ADMIT ONE

A small smile graced Sunset’s lips as she stared back at the small golden slip. Usually, Luna would deliver hers in person, generally by accompanying her to her room to give it to her there. This time around, however, she was one of the masses; receiving hers ten whole months in advance. It hurt, truthfully, that Luna couldn’t just take time out of her day to deliver it in person, or even wait until Sunset was back in Canterlot for a visit.

Oh well. If nothing else it was nice to receive one regardless.

Breaking her attention away from the ticket, her eyes came to rest on the folded piece of paper beside it. She let out a hum and flipped it over. Blank. ‘Huh,’ Back over it went, and when she unfolded it, another slip of gold fell onto the table.

The Grand Galloping Gala at Canterlot Castle

ADMIT ONE

Sunset blinked. Then blinked again. That… hadn’t been what she was expecting, to say the least. If anything she was expecting it to be just a letter - which it was, granted, but another ticket was certainly surprising.

“... Okay,"

She swept off the other ticket so it was side by side with the first one and turned her attention back to the paper.

Dear Sunset,

I’d like to apologize for the formality of delivering your tickets. I’d have delivered your tickets personally, but my schedule has been rather tight lately given the Gala’s preparations and ‘Tia’s return,

Sunset nodded. It was no surprise that Celestia’s existence was still causing ripples in the international climate. The revelation that not just one, but now two immortal rulers were governing Equestria had sent foreign powers reeling more so than the nation’s own populace.

Speaking of, the additional ticket. I was going to enclose just one, but ‘Tia insisted you bring one of your friends along. It seems she’s taken a liking to them.

Yours truly,

Luna

Sunset let out a small hum as she lifted her hoof off the letter. It sprang back up slightly, and she shifted her eyes back to the two tickets. So, she could only choose one, huh?

“Alright, then,”

It would have been nice to bring along all of her friends, she supposed. If nothing else it would save at least some drama between them. If Sunset got passed up on an invitation from a friend she knew she wouldn’t have taken it well. Fortunately, this was the Gala; a large, social, prim and proper, hobnob fest, so imagining Rainbow, Applejack, or Fluttershy having a good time there wasn’t only impossible, it was comical. A chuckle escaped Sunset’s lips before she hopped off the stool.

Food first,

There was ample time to think about it later.

***

By the time the sun had dipped well beneath the horizon and the last fragments of its light were gone, so too had most of Ponyville turned to their beds. It was easily one of Sunset’s favorite times, that and the early morning (provided she’d gotten to bed early enough). It was here that she found herself hours later, upright on her bed, and hind hooves idly kicking its side as she folded her forehooves on a nearby windowsill, peering down at the vacant roads bathed in blue.

It was impressive that even when so close to Canterlot there was virtually nothing that connected it to Ponyville. Back when she lived with Luna, Sunset hadn’t seen even a fraction of the stars as she did now. The light pollution from several large buildings blotted out most of them. Here it felt like she was staring at an entirely different sky.

Huh. Princess really knows her stuff,

That said, the most prominent difference between Canterlot and Ponyville was the noise. Even from her room Sunset could often hear the hustle and bustle of Canterlot’s small - but rather intense - night community. Impressive, considering the castle was far removed from most of the nighttime establishments. On the other hoof, Ponyville was quiet, calm. Even now, with Golden Oaks smack dab in the center of Ponyville, not a soul was ambling about past dark. It was a good time to recoup, gather thoughts, and bounce ideas around.

A hum escaped Sunset’s lips as her eyes traced what roads were visible. The ticket situation had been a little bothersome. The potential recipients were easy enough to figure out, but common courtesy suggested she at least offer the option to ponies who might not want to go.

Or I could just pick Rarity and be done with it,

Rarity was certainly the obvious choice. Out of her five friends, the only other unicorn would absolutely glom on to experiencing a taste of the social life she so aspired to achieve. It had been a no-brainer for hours, at least on paper.

But the other girls might still want to go as well. Even if they didn't, they'd probably still feel disrespected I didn’t ask,

A growl escaped Sunset’s lips, and she shoved herself away from the windowsill. Social courtesy was hard. She bounced once, twice, before she settled into the springy surface. She crawled to her pillow and allowed her head to crash into it in anything but a graceful display. Her blanket slid out from under her before it neatly fell back over. The warmth it provided was unnecessary, but the comfort definitely was.

In hindsight it was obvious this wouldn’t get solved tonight. There were too many what-ifs to just pick Rarity. Perhaps she could just ask them all later? A smile slowly crept onto her lips as she readjusted her head, rolling over to her side to gaze out the window.

Yes, that seemed reasonable. Pose it as a hypothetical and just see what happens. If only, say, Rarity wanted to go, well then it would be easy. If they all wanted to go then it might be trickier.

It was a decent enough plan, Sunset decided. That was enough progress for one evening.

***

“Oh, Sunset, Darling!”

“Hm?”

It was nearing on five now in Golden Oaks, the last of the regulars having already checked out their books and left. The last fifteen minutes were always like this; slow-paced, quiet, with the evening sun bathing the library in an orange glow. It was the time best used to preemptively put away discarded books and straighten out used furniture.

It was also the time in which her friends would usually visit her.

Far from an unwelcome sound, Sunset’s eyes shot up from her counter towards the voice’s owner. A unicorn with a carefully curled purple mane had just pushed through the door. A smile crept onto her face at the sight of the newcomer.

“Hello, Rarity,"

“Hello to you, too,"

No sooner had Rarity stepped in did the door close. Whatever stray books and furniture there was was sidestepped as she trotted to the counter.

“How are you?” Rarity's hoof ran over the counter’s surface, "I do hope business has been well,"

Sunset chuckled as she turned her attention to a stack of returned books. “‘Business’ has been fine, Rarity, yes. The spooky arcanist hasn’t scared any foals yet,” The stack of books glowed cyan before they levitated off the ground. One by one the books split off, floating right up to her for only the briefest of moments, long enough to glimpse the genre before floating down to a different spot on the counter. More books began to join each pile as another stack was grabbed, "But I’m doing great, thanks,"

Rarity smiled, and there was a moment of silence as Sunset continued to split her stack of books into several smaller ones. It was comfortable, but it was broken eventually.

“Might I lend a hoof as well?”

“Hm?”

Sunset tore her eyes off the books and up to Rarity. Rarity was looking back at her with a tired smile on her lips, one that was for the most part uncommon as far as she could remember.

But she was offering, so why not?

“Thanks. That’d be a big help,"

Another stack glowed cyan as it slid over to Rarity, whose smile widened as her attention turned to her stack of books.

“Oh, no need to thank me, Darling. It’s quite self-serving, really,"

“Really?” Sunset raised an eyebrow before turning back to the other stacks. With Rarity’s help, these should go by a little faster, "How’s that?”

“Organization is fun. That’s all," Rarity replied, "It’s quite relaxing after a long day,"

Sunset tried to hide her skepticism as her chosen stack split apart, "... If you say so,” she grabbed a new one, “I think it’s a massive pain in the flank," A poorly repressed chuckle came from across her, and it took all her effort to not cast a withering look in Rarity’s direction.

“In your defense, this is your job, Darling," A stack near Sunset glowed a deep blue as it was pulled toward Rarity, "I expect I’d be less than thrilled to do it if it was mine as well,"

“Go figure," More books came off Sunset’s stack, "So, long day?” A sigh prompted her to turn her head towards Rarity. Rarity paused, raised a hoof to her head, and massaged the base of her horn.

“Indeed," Rarity said, "The woes of deadlines, Darling. We ponies tend to have a habit of making requests rather last minute when it comes to commissions,"

“Oh yeah?” Now finished with her stack she grabbed some of Rarity’s. There was still one to spare, but it might jog her into helping again, "At least you can charge more for those,"

“Oh, I do," Rarity’s horn reignited and lifted up the remainder, “But they lead to a bout of rather long and intense few days. A couple are fine, but they happen rather often,"

“You could always refuse,"

“And why would I do that?”

Sunset blinked and broke her gaze away from the last stack. Rarity was returning her gaze with a rather indignant look, one hoof firmly planted on the desk.

“I will not be the reason a pony’s shindig is ruined, Darling. I daresay I wouldn’t be able to sleep were I to do so,"

Sunset bit her lip for a moment before she resumed her work. ‘... Okay?’ That seemed… more than a little dumb. Sure, reputation was important, she knew that better than most. But declining a request could be done politely, and if Rarity wasn’t willing to take time for herself then what right did she have to complain? “Okay,"

A huff sounded from across the table before a series of books thudded onto different piles. The last few in front of her glowed blue, and Sunset rolled her eyes as Rarity yanked them towards herself, but the books froze a moment later.

“... Sunset?”

“Hm?”

The tone of Rarity’s voice had flipped from indignance to disbelief. Once again, Sunset readjusted her eyes. Rarity had frozen, horn still alight, but there was a chance that might change. Her eyes were locked on… something. Whatever it was, it was where the books had just been. Sunset cast her gaze to where Rarity was looking, and her heart skipped a beat as her eyes fell on the target of Rarity’s sudden silence.

Oh,

Two golden tickets sat side by side, probably having been stuck under the stack of books all day. Sunset didn’t need to read the words on them. Instead, she turned her gaze back towards her friend, Lifting a hoof up to her head and massaging it, before setting it back down.

I could’ve sworn I took them upstairs. Oh well,

“Yes, Rarity?”

“I’m not… seeing things, am I?” Rarity slowly lifted a hoof and delicately pointed it toward the two tickets, "Are those tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala?”

“... Yes, Rarity. They are," Igniting her horn she delicately plucked the few books from Rarity’s grip, both gently and forcefully setting them down, causing a thump loud enough to snap the other unicorn out of her trance, "I get one every year," The cyan glow vanished from the bottom half of the stack, lifting the top half off and gently plopping it in front of Rarity.

“Oh my…” Rarity stared dumbstruck at her stack of books for a moment before shaking her head slightly, igniting her horn once more, and beginning to sort through the books again, "Well, don’t keep me in suspense, Darling! What’s it like?”

It took all of Sunset’s power to suppress the groan that bubbled up through her throat. The book held in her horn’s grasp nearly spiked into its pile as the next lit up. ‘Yeah, figures she’d want to know,

“It’s fine," There was no way that would be enough to tide Rarity over, "Bigshots from all over Equestria attend, as well as folks from further out, but there’s never much to do except talk to ponies," She knew Rarity would cast her a look for that remark, but opted to ignore it.

“Well you may not like it, Dear," Rarity had picked up her pace, inspecting the books with new vigor, "But I think that sounds positively marvelous. A chance to talk with high society… can you imagine?”

Sunset was thankful that she was on her last few books now. The sooner she could get up and shelve, the sooner she could stop forcing herself to look at least passably interested, "Yeah. I can," She said, "Most of them are prats, so there’s no point,"

“To be fair, Darling, you’re Princess Luna’s personal student," Sunset’s ear flicked as Rarity’s voice reached her. Her friend’s tone had taken on a slight edge near the end, "Not even the highest echelon of nobility is as close to her as you are,"

Sunset shrugged, dropping the last few books into their respective piles, she pulled in the closest two sorted stacks and hopped off her stool.

“I guess,"

Meandering over to the nonfiction section, the few autobiographies stacked together began to split apart. One by one they floated towards their respective spots, the nearby books splitting apart to accommodate them.

“It doesn’t make the Gala anymore interesting,"

“I’m not saying it does, Dear," Hoofsteps sounded from the counter to another side of the library, "I’m merely offering my perspective,"

“Mm,"

Silence passed between the two of them for the next few minutes. It was a repetitive cycle of shelving, collecting another stack, and promptly relocating to another branch of the library to shelve again. What with so many genres it was a longer process than Sunset would have liked, though with Rarity helping it was at least enjoyable, conversation or not.

“Well, that’s the last of it," It had been roughly fifteen minutes since the lapse into silence, one occasionally punctured with idle chatter, but spent predominantly quiet. She tossed Rarity a smile as the final book slotted neatly into place, "Thanks again for your help, Rarity. Did you want to stay for dinner, by the by?”

A giggle escaped Rarity’s lips, one only slightly muffled by the hoof she’d placed in front of her mouth.

“I appreciate the offer, Sunset, but I’m afraid I must decline," She set her hoof back down, returning Sunset’s smile with an even wider one, "I was simply checking up on you, that’s all. I know it’s been a bit, but I imagine you’re still adjusting. Being able to destress was just a bonus,"

“Well, it’s appreciated," It was Sunset’s turn to chuckle, slightly shrugging her shoulders she gave Rarity a nod, "I suppose it’s nice being in a town that’s actually quiet,"

“It is part of Ponyville’s charm, I agree," Rarity broke her gaze away from Sunset, and turned towards the exit of Golden Oaks. The door began to glow a deep blue as her horn lit, and within moments it was cracked open. About halfway to the door, she stopped, turning her head back to face Sunset.

“And congratulations on the tickets, Darling,” Rarity’s eyes flickered to them before returning to Sunset, "Who’s the lucky pony?”

It was Sunset’s turn to chuckle. Lazily lifting a hoof to her chin she began to tap it, allowing her eyes to drift over to the golden slips.

“Not sure, really," Wouldn’t it be nice if it was that simple? “I only got them yesterday,"

The sound of rustling made its way to Sunset’s ears. They flicked, bidding her to turn her head upwards. There was a window in Golden Oaks situated a little higher than the others that, when she turned her head towards it, betrayed the flicker of a pony’s tail before it vanished from sight. A small pit opened up in Sunset’s gut as she slowly took her eyes off the window.

Oh no,

Turning her head back to Rarity, the easy smile that had donned her friend’s features had slid off. Her eyes now delving into a fit of blinking as she slid her gaze back to the tickets.

“Really, Darling?” Rarity’s gaze lasted on the tickets a moment longer before it found Sunset again, "But it’s the Grand Galloping Gala! Surely there’s somepony you want to bring along,"

Sunset jammed her mouth in a line and brought her gaze to a nearby bean bag. There was somepony she wanted to bring along. Five someponies, in fact, but mentioning that could cause… problems. Meandering over to the bean bag she let out a hum, closing her eyes and letting her body go limp and flopping into the cushy seat.

“Maybe," She relented, "I suppose I haven’t thought about it too much," She fought to not roll her eyes as a gasp reached her ears.

“And besides, it’s nine months away. I’ve got time,"

“... I suppose…” The sound of hoofsteps prompted her eyes to open and turn towards the door to Golden Oaks. Rarity was now standing on the other side, though her eyes were once again locked on where the tickets were. One of her hooves began to trace a circle as her eyes fell back on Sunset.

“I do hope you choose somepony soon, Darling," A small smile graced her lips, "I suspect half the town would go rabid for a chance to attend the Gala,"

The pressure continued to build as Sunset’s eyes narrowed. She spared a grunt, one soft enough that she knew Rarity could not hear. Something about her voice seemed… odd. Granted, what that oddity was was easy to discern.

She could at least try to be subtle about it,

“Duly noted," A smile slipped onto her face as she propped herself up on her beanbag. She quickly cast her gaze over to the clock before bringing it back to Rarity. Six exactly, "Thanks again for the help,"

“Of course," Rarity’s smile grew as she lifted a hoof, waving it slightly as the door began to close, "Ta-ta, Darling,"

“Goodbye,"

Sunset’s ears flicked as the soft thump of the door closing reached her ears. For a moment she bit her lip, bidding herself to not move as she held her breath.

One. Two. Three,

The pressure began to dissipate. Air hissed past her lips as she deflated, falling once again onto the bean bag, rolling onto her stomach, and mumbling into her pillow.

“Oh, buck," The words escaped her without any thought.

Why did I say anything?

It was simple. All she had to do was not leave it out in broad daylight and it would have been fine. Just ask her friends on the sly and it would've been a pleasant surprise.

But no, you just had to leave it out in broad daylight, didn’t you?!’ Another groan escaped her lips as she pounded a forehoof into the beanbag. ‘Half the bucking town probably knows you have Gala tickets now!

Okay, to be fair that was probably an exaggeration. The tickets were mostly if not completely hidden all day, and ponies probably would have pointed it out if they’d seen them. So the odds were small that anypony had actually noticed them.

Except for whoever was at the window, maybe,

Sucking in air through what gaps there were in her lips she propped herself off the bean bag and turned her head in the direction of the tickets. A glower crept onto her face as she ignited her horn, sending the tickets up to her room in a cyan flash before flopping back onto the bean bag. She bit her lip for a moment before she allowed the trapped air to hiss out.

Whatever. Rarity knows now and you can’t change that,

Again she opened up her lungs, holding her breath before release, giving her enough energy to coax herself up from the oh-so-comfy bean bag. She lifted a hoof, gently massaging the side of her head before adjusting herself towards the kitchen. If it was six then she might as well get some food.

Dinner now. Worry later,

***

Night time once again found Sunset at the windowsill gazing out at the moon-bathed Ponyville. It was a struggle to keep her eyes open at times like these. The way the moonlight substituted the need for a torch was absolutely astounding, granted, and being able to see Canterlot’s silhouette amidst a bright night sky was always a treat, but it was that same beauty that always threatened to whisk her away, stealing her mind into her mentor’s domain and refusing to relinquish her until the morning. A lazy smile donned her face as she once again kicked her hooves idly against her bed, her eyes tracking two pony-shaped entities meandering down one of the roads.

It wouldn’t be the worst thing, falling asleep here I guess,

Although my back probably wouldn’t thank me for it come morning,

Pushing herself up from the windowsill, she arched herself backward as far as possible and closed her eyes, smiling at the multitude of pops that sounded from her spine. It was probably best to make sure she didn’t become a hunchback before she was twenty-four.

Opening her eyes again, her sight fell on the two tickets on her nightstand, as well as the object to their side; the notebook she used to communicate with Luna. Her eyes danced between the book and the golden slips, and she let out a hum.

Did I ever thank Luna for those?

She illuminated her horn and floated the book towards herself, cracked it open, and readjusted herself on the bed. She flipped to the latest page, giving it a once over. Nothing, save for a conversation about a night out getting derailed by Pinkie.

I guess not,

A nearby quill lit up, as well as a pot of ink. Uncorking the pot, the quill was promptly dunked into the link before getting dragged up to the book. Sunset bit her lip as she hastily commanded the quill to dance across the page.

“Thank you for the tickets, Princess. They just came in,"

Sunset blew on the ink before the book snapped shut, tossing itself back onto the nightstand as she deactivated her horn. Odds were Luna would be asleep by now. When all of Equestria operated off of when you set the moon you generally had to get an early night.

Something I could take notes on,’ Sunset stifled a yawn as she glanced at a nearby clock. ‘One. Gross,

A sure sign it was time to get some rest if nothing else.

Letting out a sigh, she pulled her covers from under herself, her eyes closing and head hitting the pillow before they fell atop her figure.

***

A knock was the first thing she heard. It was deliberate, it was abrasive, and considering how well sound carried in the open space of Golden Oaks, it might as well have happened right next to her instead of from the other end of the building. Truthfully, had she not heard another one she would have ignored it, but another knock happened all the same.

“Ugh…”

Sunset’s body was akin to lead as she coaxed herself into an upright position, the one hoof she hoisted up felt like lifting all of Canterlot Castle as she brought it to her eyes, slowly rubbing them before letting it fall back down. Blinking what sleep was left away, she swung her hind legs over her bed.

Who the hay is at my door at…’ She glanced up towards the clock. ‘Bucking seven in the morning?

Indeed, with the clock pointing at seven AM sharp, this was the time most ponies would be sitting down for breakfast in Canterlot, a habit that seemed to have carried over to Ponyville. No reasonable pony would be knocking on a neighbor’s door as early as seven in the morning (unless they lived at Sweet Apple Acres).

But I really doubt it's Applejack,’ Sunset thought to herself as she fully hopped to all fours. She bit back a grumble as she exited her room and stomped down the stairs, thudding each hoof into the wooden floor with as much force as the heavens could bless her with. Her horn ignited as she approached the door, and the knob of Golden Oak’s door began to glow cyan. ‘She’d actually be respectful of ponies’ bucking schedules,’ Pushing the door open just a crack she stuck her muzzle out, hopefully far enough for whoever was on the other side of the door to see.

“Whoever you are, the library’s closed on Sundays," she grumbled, "So please, beat it and come back tomorr-,"

“Hey, Sunset,” a high-pitched, coltish voice sounded, “Bad time?”

Any words Sunset might have said died on her lips as the voice reached her ears. She blinked, pulling her muzzle out of the door frame and cocking her head.

What the hay is she doing here?

Opening up her reserves a little more, a new wave of magic surged through her horn, pushing the knob - and by proxy the rest of the door - outwards.

Rainbow Dash stood on the other side of the door, her wings strapped to her side and her mouth in a small smile. It was an odd look, almost sheepish, one that in all the months Sunset had known her, had never seen outside of their first interaction. Another oddity was the one hoof tracing circles on her doorstep. Quickly, she threw on a smile of her own, contorting her face into what was hopefully a presentable expression. No doubt it was sloppy, but it was the price Rainbow would have to pay for waking her up so early.

“Hey, Rainbow,"

“Hey…” Rainbow repeated as her hoof continued its minute laps around the doorstep, "Whatcha up to? Need a lift anywhere?”

“... A lift?” The haphazard smile on Sunset’s face crumbled, giving way to a frown as she again cocked her head at Rainbow. The pegasus was certainly no stranger to giving lifts, usually offering one whenever she passed Sunset, or reportedly another of her friends. But she had to admit, Rainbow waking up ponies for it was a first.

“No,"

The nervous smile on Rainbow’s face faltered, nearly fading before it was forced back on. The pegasus lifted her hoof, kicking over the laps she made before it resumed its cycle.

“Oh, really? Huh, that’s a shame,"

A prick of pressure began to build in the back of Sunset’s brain. She let out a small huff - one hopefully Rainbow neither saw nor heard, as a hind hoof began to tap.

“And why’s that?”

The smile on Rainbow began to slowly devolve into a grimace. Her wings began to fidget, her head began to turn, and her eyes as well; her gaze pointed anywhere and everywhere except for Sunset herself. If she was trying to hide her nervousness she was doing an absolutely terrible job of it.

“W-well… y’know… you’re such a great friend I was just wondering if you needed a lift anywhere, and…” The deadpan on Sunset’s face must have been showing, as Rainbow’s gaze landed back on her for only the tiniest of moments before the pegasus deflated, "Okay, okay!”

Rainbow’s entire body sagged as the grimace on her face faded. Fully turning her head back toward Sunset, there was no hint of a smile on her face.

“So I might have been catching some winks in your tree yesterday, and…”

Rainbow’s voice began to fade from Sunset’s mind. Her eyes narrowed as she kept them locked on her friend. That said, Rainbow hadn’t seemed to notice Sunset’s change in mood. Her confidence had picked up, and once more she wasn’t looking at her, instead waving her hooves through the air, lost in whatever story she was telling.

“I do hope you choose somepony soon, Darling. I suspect half the town would go rabid for a chance to attend the Gala,"

Rabid indeed, if they’re disregarding by bucking time,

Sunset’s jaw tightened as Rainbow’s odd display continued. ‘Regardless of what she meant, Rarity was right. And I guess I know who the pony from yesterday was,

“The Shadowbolts would insist that my signature moves be incorporated into their routine! And then, welcome me as their newest-!”

Lifting a hoof, she held it up between herself and Rainbow. There was no point in listening to what else she had to say. Not now. Almost immediately, Rainbow’s directionless babbling ceased, and Sunset drew in a long slow breath, gently lowering her hoof to the floor, dancing it about before jamming the rest back down.

“So,” she began, “you want to go to the Gala, is that it?”

If Rainbow could pick up on Sunset’s demeanor then it wasn’t obvious. Instead, she gave her the biggest, most hope-filled smile Sunset had ever seen before responding, "Yeah!”

Sunset’s teeth gnashed together and silently restrained herself from slamming the door then and there. The chain of logic here was easy, figuring out Rainbow’s motives behind offering a lift and her desire to go to the Gala. Knowing Rainbow, the odds were she wasn’t trying to strongarm Sunset into giving her a ticket, but that didn't change the fact that if she hadn’t found out about it at all she wouldn’t be here, and thusly; she was.

Though I suppose I should be grateful she’s so open about it,

“I appreciate your honesty, Rainbow," Sunset definitely had to commend Princess Celestia. Were Luna still in charge of the sun, her tone may have caused ice crystals to form on her fur, "But it’s seven in the bucking morning. Right now I don’t want to think about dolling out tickets for an event that’s not until May,"

There was some grim satisfaction to be had as the cocky, cheery look that Rainbow had been sporting was wiped from her face almost instantly. Her wings unfurled slightly, twitching as she took a couple steps backward, her smile reigniting, but once again small and sheepish.

“Oh," Rainbow lifted a hoof and reached behind her neck, scratching it as her wings properly unfurled and began to flap, "Sorry, Sunset. I guess I didn’t think about that, heh-heh,"

No, you really didn’t,

“I guess I’ll see you around?”

The ghost of a smile began to tug at Sunset’s face. She gave Rainbow a nod as she too took a step back into the inside of Golden Oaks.

“Sure,"

Lifting a hoof, she spared Rainbow a little wave before the door began to close.

“Catch you later,"

The sound of Rainbow taking off was muffled by the door closing completely, though a quick glance out the window betrayed the dust the cyan pegasus had kicked up. Waiting a moment in case she came back for whatever reason, Sunset lifted a hoof, slowly bringing it to the base of her horn and offering it a massage.

“Ugh,"

The pressure that had been building up throughout her interaction slowly began to dissipate. That was two ponies, now, who wanted to go to the Gala. Granted while Rarity never explicitly stated it, it was essentially a given. Perhaps pestering Luna for another ticket might not be too out of the question.

No, that’s silly,’ Sunset quickly shook her head, ‘Luna can’t just print these things on a whim,’ Rarely, if ever, had she heard Luna order for a new ticket to be made. It only ever happened if an existing one was lost or damaged.

Actually, since my mind’s on it…

Sunset hummed, and her horn flashed. Her message book, ink, and quill all teleported to her. In the midst of the early morning disruption, she hadn’t checked to see if Luna’d said anything. Sure enough, as she set it down on the floor, her cyan aura vanished to reveal one much darker. Without missing a beat she flipped open the book and moved to the latest message.

“Of course, Sunset. Please let me know who you’ll be bringing along,"

“Sure," Smiling slightly, she closed the book, sending it back up to her room and putting back her writing utensils as she meandered over to the kitchen.

To call Golden Oak’s kitchen a kitchen proper was rather generous. Truthfully it was barely its own dedicated room. The sink and cupboards were placed in the immediate hallway while the actual room itself had enough counter space to use a knife exactly, a refrigerator, and a table, with no stove to speak of. This certainly wasn’t the place a pony had dinner with her friends, and to call it serviceable would be stretching it, but for the most part, Sunset found herself often able to prepare food for one just fine. She lit her horn and a myriad of various vegetables, crunchy and not escaped her fridge and into her bowl.

Tapping her hoof to her mouth, Sunset let out a small hum, eying the trove of riches as a small frown slipped onto her face. The meal was fine, and to be honest, carrots, tomatoes, romaine, and a sprinkling of oats were what she normally had in the morning. There wasn’t anything particularly bad about it, but sometimes some zest was necessary, and considering how her morning started…

Yeah, what the hay,

Sunset flipped her head around back to the fridge, smiling once more as her magic illuminated one of the drawers at the bottom of the fridge and yanked it open, pulling out a large rolled-up bag of flowers. Her smile once more slipped into a frown as she diverted the bag from its course and pulled it towards her.

That’s probably it for this one,’ Indeed, as she brought the bag to her face, flipping it over and inspecting every side, there were only enough flowers in here for a light dusting.

I guess I know what I'm doing today,

Shrugging, she brought the bag over to the bowl, dumping the last set of flowers into the bowl before crumpling it up and tossing it in the trash. Another of the cupboards behind her flew open and she ducked her head just in time so a passing plate didn’t clip her horn before landing smartly onto the top of the bowl.

Lifting the plate and bowl both, she gave each a good shake, smiling as a fork whizzed out of a nearby drawer, coming to her side as the freshly shaken bowl uncovered itself to reveal a perfectly thrown salad.

Okay then,’ Sunset thought as she took a bite. In a flash, a quill, ink pot, and slip of paper appeared at the table. ‘So, what’ll I need?

The next few minutes for Sunset passed by in a whirlwind cycle of eating, opening the fridge, and jotting down groceries. For the most part, it was just salad ingredients (turns out that romaine heart was her last as well) though fortunately she was plenty stocked on tomatoes. The boon of Sundays was that while Golden Oaks may be closed, a variety of shops were out in the marketplace, eager to profit on the day of rest most ponies took for themselves. It certainly made Sunday easily pegged as her shopping day if nothing else.

And that should be that,

Sunset nodded as she glanced over her list. Short, quick scrawls of roughly five or six items that shouldn’t take more than fifteen minutes once she got there. Her horn flashed again and the ink and quill were banished, replaced by her saddlebags. She quickly pried open each flap, searching for any bits, of which there was a small sack in one. Folding up her list she tossed it into the right before they were draped over her barrel, and the straps tightened as she began her trot back down the hallway.

Might as well swing by Applejack’s stand too,’ Now out in the main room, Sunset lit her horn, and Golden Oak’s main door began to glow. ‘Hay, she’s probably there already,’ The door flew open and bathed the interior of the library in even more sun.

Stepping onto the dirt roads of Ponyville, Sunset had to admit, Celestia certainly knew her stuff when crafting the day. The sun was brighter, warmer, and there was a certain energy about it that hadn’t existed for as long as she could remember. There was something inside her that the light itself seemed to coax up to the surface, a newfound energy perhaps. Regardless of which she allowed herself a moment and arched her back downwards, stretching herself as she soaked in as much of this newfound sun as she could.

All right,

Her hooves kicked into motion and hopped off the dirt road.

* * *

Breaking herself from a canter to a trot, Sunset approached Ponyville Square. Her eyes flit from one stall to the next. Sure enough, it was all produce, from various lettuce to tomatoes, and from carrots to corn, each accompanied by its own vendor. Applejack was there as well, her stetson sticking out amongst the other ponies, and surrounded by scores and scores of apples. Her eyes met Sunset’s, and she lifted a hoof in a wave, a wave Sunset returned before meandering over to the lettuce stand. She could speak to Applejack once she’d finished with the rest of her shopping.

“Good morning!”

The lettuce vendor’s voice prompted her to bring her eyes over to the pony in question. She nodded her head, igniting her horn and pulling out both a sack of bits and her shopping list.

“Hello," Opening her bit bag she glanced at her list, "Three romaine," Three bits levitated out of her bag and one by one thudded onto the stall’s counter. The pony happily scooped them up before pulling out three romaine hearts and setting them where the bits had been, before Sunset levitated them towards her, opening her saddlebags and plopping them inside. She offered the vendor a smile before turning around, folding the top of the list so it covered the romaine hearts. One down.

One down indeed, and the rest went quickly enough. Sunset darted from stall to stall picking up some corn, carrots, and a couple bags of flowers. She spared a glance at her saddlebags before she made her way to the final stand. The bags were certainly full, near to burst really, but they held some room for a few apples.

“Well howdy, Sunset!” Her friend’s Appleoosan accent tugged at the edges of Sunset’s mouth as she approached Applejack’s stand, "Thought you’d never get here,"

“I save the best for last,” Sunset’s horn ignited, tossing five bits onto the table, "As many as it gets,"

“Well that’s much appreciated,” Applejack swept the bits into a bag and started grabbing apples in pairs of two, setting them onto the counter until ten bright red apples stared back at Sunset. A quick appraisal and Sunset nodded, igniting her horn, and into the bags they went

“Thanks," Said bags were beyond bursting, but the straps were just large enough that they could cover them. Sunset quickly glanced from bag to bag, and let out a contented hum that evolved into a sigh, "I think that’s everything," It was more to herself than Applejack.

“You sound mighty tired there," Her friend’s tone prompted Sunset to look back up. Gone was Applejack’s pleasant smile, now replaced by a vague look of concern. The sigh must’ve been louder than she thought, "I don’t think it’s even past nine. A little early for all that sighin’ don’t you think?”

“Tell me about it," Sidestepping the stall, Sunset meandered over to where Applejack was. She allowed her hindlegs to slide out from underneath her, planting herself rather unceremoniously next to her friend. The saddlebags shook dangerously, but there was no thumping sound of apples - or anything else for that matter, "Just a little too early of a morning, I guess,"

“That so?”

Hoofsteps began to approach the stall, and looking up revealed that sure enough, another pony had trotted up to the stall. Applejack’s attention was ripped away and onto the new face. Sunset waited for her friend’s business to conclude before finally responding.

“Yup. Rainbow’s probably the earliest riser in this town,"

“Definitely. That job of hers demands she wake up somethin’ early," Applejack waved to a passing pony, but failed to beckon them over to her stand, "So she was buggin’ you this morning?”

Sunset opened her mouth to respond, but hesitated. Her eyes flitted up and down her friend, whose eyes were still focused on the passing ponies.

“... Yeah," She relented, "She was speaking to me about… something, I forget what it was now. It was way too early,"

Applejack’s gaze broke away for a moment, landing on Sunset herself and her expression morphed again into one of concern. She let out a small hum before turning her gaze back to her front, "And how early was that?”

“About seven,"

Applejack’s ear flicked as Sunset’s words reached her, "That consarn…” Her tail flicked to the side, crashing into one of the stall’s poles, before going limp again, "You need me to speak to her, Sugarcube?”

A small prick of indignation ignited in Sunset’s gut. She set her jaw and took her gaze off her friend, "Nah. I already talked to her. Thanks though,"

I’m not helpless, Applejack,

“Well that’s good then," More hoofsteps approached the stall, and another purchase was made. Applejack looked like she still had more to say, though, as she placed six apples on the counter that the next pony scooped up before departing, "I know Rainbow can be a bit oblivious from time to time, but I gotta admit that’s a first,"

“It is," Lifting a hoof, Sunset brought it to her horn, massaging it briefly before setting it back down, "But I don’t think it’ll happen again,"

“If you gave her a good tellin’ off, then I doubt it," Again, another purchase, "She’s not the kinda pony to forget, usually,"

“Yeah,"

“So,” The clinking of bits prompted Sunset to turn back to her friend. Applejack’s hoof was slowly gliding over the counter and pushing the bits into a bag, "Sunday’s your day off, right?”

“Yeah…” Sunset arched an eyebrow as her response slowly left her mouth, "Why do you ask?”

Applejack shrugged, the last of the bits falling nicely into the bag as she lifted her hoof off the counter, "Just figured," Bringing her hoof back down she nudged the bit bag farther under the counter, "I ain’t the nosy type, but I like checking up on my friends every once in a while. And besides, there ain’t much to do in a library on a day off,"

“Not true. You could breathe in dust from eons-old books,” Applejack made no attempt to hide her laughter. Digging her hindlegs under herself, Sunset propped herself back on all fours and turned to fully face her friend. She glanced back at her saddlebags, before giving them a little shake, "I’ll probably drop these off, and hit the town again. I swear, there’s something about Celestia’s sun that’s so much nicer than Luna’s,"

“You ain’t the only one thinking that," Applejack glanced to the scores of apples behind her before bringing her gaze back to Sunset, "No disrespect to the princess, of course, but me and every other farmer are noticing a faster crop than usual. If this is the norm I daresay the farm will enjoy some mighty fine returns,"

Lifting a hoof to her chin, Sunset began to tap it, her eyes too shifting to the bright array of apples behind her friend, "Huh, no fooling," So it wasn’t just her after all. It might be an interesting question to ask Luna later. Setting her hoof back down she stepped around the stall to the front and lifted her hoof up to Applejack, which the latter happily bumped, "See you later, Applejack,"

“Catch you around, Sunset,"

“Likewise,"

Sunset gave Applejack one last smile before turning back to face the way she came. She quickly coaxed herself into a trot, getting a few steps before, strangely, Applejack’s voice met her ears once more.

“Hey, Sugarcube?”

“Yeah?” Sunset's ears flicked as she turned her head back around. Gone was Applejack’s jovial tone of voice, instead replaced by one somewhat… hopeful, interestingly enough.

Something about Applejack had shifted in the moments she wasn’t looking. Before completely still, she now shifted from side to side. Her expression was predominantly neutral, but there was enough - just enough, of a difference that it decidedly wasn’t. Sunset’s arched an eyebrow as she trotted back over to the stall. She rested her forehooves on the counter and pulled herself up on them.

Hmm…

Applejack’s eyes shifted from side to side before bending her head lower slightly.

“I… hate to pry, really, and I ain’t askin’ this for myself, but… is it true the princess sent you Gala tickets?”

The pressure Sunset had felt in her head that morning came back in full force. Any warmth the sun-blessed Equestria with vanished in a flash as her smile shattered, giving way to the force of her teeth as they gnashed together. She pushed her forelegs downward and propelled herself towards Applejack - so much so her horn threatened to pierce her friend’s stetson.

Who the hay told you that?!” Sunset hissed. Applejack herself flinched backward, her pseudo-neutral expression quickly vanished as her body began to tremble. Other ponies must’ve noticed the commotion, as out of the corners of her vision several of them turned their heads toward her. Not that she cared. Infuriatingly, Applejack didn’t respond, instead resting a hoof on her chest before meeting Sunset’s gaze again.

“Whoa Nellie, Sunset! I’m sorry I said anything,"

Sunset blinked and fully took notice of her friend’s disposition. Applejack was worried, it wasn’t subtle. Something pricked her chest as she slowly pulled her hooves back, removed herself from the counter, and planted all fours solidly on the ground.

“I’m… sorry, Applejack," Sunset bit her lip as the words left her mouth. They were stilted at best, each one requiring more effort than desired to push out, "I shouldn’t have lost it like that," Despite the quality of apology, Applejack seemed to accept it, nodding her head and readjusting her stetson.

“Well that’s mighty kind of you," Applejack glanced from side to side before she fully stepped back to the counter.

“I suppose I should say somethin’, shouldn’t I?” She lifted a hoof and fiddled with the brim of her hat, "Rainbow told me yesterday. She was all giddy comin’ by the Acres. Flew down to tell me before flyin’ off,"

The pressure in Sunset’s head began to spike up again as Applejack’s words reached her ears. She tipped a hoof over slightly and began to twist it, driving the tip into the ground with as much force as possible.

That bucking mare…

“I see…”

“Yup. mentioned somethin’ about you gettin’ two tickets to the Gala. Can’t say I ain’t jealous about it, I could make a right killing with the apple family recipes, but…” The sound of a hoof scraping the ground came from the other side of the counter, "I’m guessin’ that ticket’s already spoken for?”

She gave Sunset a small smile. That recurring, accursed small smile employed by both Rarity and Rainbow, and now it was being used by Applejack too. Sunset’s stomach flipped, launching bile up her throat that she had to force back down. She closed her eyes, drinking in a deep breath before opening them again, locking eyes with Applejack again.

“If you must know, no, it isn’t," Buck it. Rarity knew, and she’d heavily implied it to Rainbow, why not tell Applejack? She’d probably find out later from Rarity anyways, "I just haven’t figured out what to do with it yet,"

Just like with Rarity, Applejack’s small smile slid right off. Again, hoof readjusted stetson as Applejack cleared her throat.

“Really, now?” The hoof was set down, "Then, uhh… if it ain’t too much trouble, do you think I might be able to tag along?” Had she not been the one to hear the words from Applejack’s lips, Sunset would scarce believe they were ever uttered. She blinked, fixing her friend with a stare before lifting up a hoof again and placing it on the stand.

“I thought you weren’t asking for yourself,"

“And I ain’t!”

Applejack took a step back, larger this time. Apples fell from their perches as her flank came into contact with them, and she only spared them a glance before turning her attention back to Sunset.

“I’d be going, yeah, but for the farm!” She explained, "I just… aw, hayseeds…” She continued to wilt under Sunset’s gaze, but met it moments later. Taking a few steps forwards, she sighed.

“Look,” she began, “Those ponies at the Gala, they’ve got money, yeah?”

Sunset hummed for a moment before nodding, "Correct,"

That’s certainly a factual statement, Applejack,

“Right, and, well, I could sell there, right? I could make a killing. We’d have enough bits to fix up the old farm, y’know? I could guarantee Granny Smith a nice place for her twilight years, and I could spread the Apple name to the ends of Equestria!” She gave Sunset another of those irritating hopeful looks, though at this point she probably wasn’t even seeing her, "Just imagine, wouldn’t you, Sunset? We Apples would be set not only for our lives but our grandkids too!”

“... Uh-huh," Sunset had to fight hard to avoid rolling her eyes at her friend’s starry-eyed display. It was a cute dream, granted, but she could hardly say she wanted to talk about those tickets right now, a memo Applejack seemed to be missing, "I’ll keep that in mind,"

“O-oh…” Immediately Applejack seemed to crash back down to Equestria, the smile she’d sported only moments prior suddenly vanishing, "Well, I appreciate it. And I do suppose you have a lot of ponies to choose from, yeah?”

Yes, Applejack. Very astute,

“Correct. So I’d appreciate it if you kept it under the hat,"

Applejack’s eyes refused to rest as her hoof jerked upwards, hastily marking an ‘X’ across her chest. “Of course, Sugarcube! You can count on it!”

... Uh-huh,

“I appreciate it,” Sunset pivoted back towards Golden Oaks. She began to trot away, but only got a few hoof steps before she stopped. She let out a hum, and turned her head back towards Applejack, plastering on what was - hopefully enough - an innocent smile, "By the by, you haven’t seen Rainbow this morning, have you?” A low whistle slipped passed her friend’s lips, and Applejack’s eyes darted to either side before she leaned over the counter.

“... Yeah, I did," She said after a moment of silence. Applejack pointed toward the back of her stall, "She was heading over to the Acres last I saw. Couldn’t do much since I was making my way here, but she’s over there I reckon,"

Sunset bit back a groan as her gaze drifted to where Applejack’s hoof pointed. ‘Of course she’d be over there…

“... I see," She spared a glance at her saddlebags before pivoting to fully face Sweet Apple Acres. The groceries could wait, "Thanks, Applejack,"

“Of course, Sugarcube!” Applejack’s hoof lifted once again, and she waved Sunset off, her smile large. Uncomfortably large, "You take care, now! And maybe go easy on Rainbow? She probably hasn’t told a soul besides me,"

Sunset let her gaze sit on Applejack for a moment before letting out a small hum. How… ominously cheerful. ‘Not that the reason isn’t obvious,’ While the desire to shut Applejack down was tempting, devoting any more time to these tickets than she already was was liable to come with a splitting headache. She opted to pass, and instead returned the wave before beginning the trot to Sweet Apple Acres.

“...Sure,"

There’s no bucking chance,

“See you around,"

Breaking into a canter she shot past Applejack’s stall and down the road system just behind it. Even though she’d killed a sizable amount of time at the market there were still very few ponies on the roads. A good thing too, since her saddlebags were making their presence painfully apparent, and one unfortunate collision would send their contents flying into the road. Daring a glance back at them, she had to admit she was surprised that the flaps were still fastened shut.

Maybe I should’ve put these away first…

Whatever,

Rounding a corner, an abnormally tall and extremely garish building caught her eye. Cylindrical in structure, it was a multi-layered building with elaborate patterns adorning its walls, jarringly out of place amidst the rather rustic look of Ponyville in general, and while it wasn’t Sweet Apple Acres, Carousel Boutique was always a sign she was nearing the edge of town.

Perhaps I could see what Rarity’s up to after this bucking mess,’ Sunset thought as she blitzed down the road. ‘Beats doing nothing anyways,

... Actually, wait a moment,

Sunset dug her hooves into the ground and rapidly slowed herself down to a trot, and meandered up to the path to Carousel before halting altogether. She lifted a hoof, tapping it on her mouth and letting out a small hum.

I wonder if Rarity’s seen Rainbow at all,

It was a long shot, granted, considering she had no idea if Rarity was even up or not, but she seemed to be a pony that cared about a healthy sleep habit, and Applejack had spotted Rainbow as she was heading into town, which could’ve been hours ago knowing her. There was every chance Rainbow wasn’t at Applejack’s anymore.

And hey, if avoid a trip to Sweet Apple Acres, then good,

Shrugging, Sunset hopped off the road system and cantered up the steps of Carousel. Wasting no time, she lifted a hoof and rapped on the door, before leaning closer and pressing her ear up against the door.

...ne mo… nt ple…, Dear,” A muffled Canterlotian voice sounded. Sunset took a step back once the sound of hoofsteps became clear, "I just need to see who this is," A loud click came from the other side of the door, and the knob turned.

“Yes, hello? I’m afraid Carousel Boutique is closed on Sundays," Rarity said, her voice now crystal clear as she pulled the door open, "But please do feel free to - oh, Sunset, dear," Sunset had to bite back a snort as Rarity’s monologue came to an abrupt halt

“This is quite the surprise, Darling," Rarity backed upwards slightly, making room for the door to fully pull open and beckoning Sunset indoors, "What brings you about the Boutique so early?”

Sunset eyed her friend’s hoof for a moment before refocusing her attention back to Rarity’s face, "Sorry, Rarity. I’m afraid I’m a little busy," Her gut couldn’t help but plummet a little at the look of disappointment on her friend’s face, but she pressed on, "I was actually wondering if you’d seen Rainbow this morning,"

“Rainbow, you say?” Rarity adopted a more contemplative expression as her extended hoof moved to her mouth. She let out a hum, and shook her head shortly after, “I’m afraid not, Dear,"

Tch,

“The only other pony I’ve seen this morning besides you is dear Fluttershy. Whatever do you need our Rainbow Dash for?”

“Well, if you must know,” Sunset could scarcely keep the venom out of her voice as she shot her gaze back towards the path into Ponyville. Nopony, "Rainbow was listening in on our discussion yesterday and decided to blab to Applejack about the Gala tickets," Rarity’s eyes widened and her gaze whipped towards the interior of Carousel. Her eyes fixed on… something. Following her gaze, she was just able to catch sight of a small, white, fluffball of a tail just bounding out of sight and up a barely visible flight of stairs.

“Oh no," Rarity mumbled.

“Yeah," Sunset replied. Her response seemed to snap Rarity out of her funk, bringing her eyes back to her, "So I’d like to track her down before she decides to tell the whole bucking town about-,"

“It’s not that, Dear,"

Huh?’ Sunset blinked, and arched an eyebrow at Rarity, whose gaze was still locked on where the little tail had vanished from sight.

“What do you mean?”

It took a moment, but a very faint sound of hoofsteps came from the stairway. Her stomach plummeted as her eyes once more flew to the stairway.

Oh no…

“Er, it may be too late, but I’d advise against speaking about those tickets so loudly, if I were you," Rarity said. The sounds of hoofsteps were getting louder, "I said I’d seen Fluttershy today, yes? Well, she’s actually upstairs at the moment. It’s our weekly routine,"

“And you’re telling me she actually heard us, from all the way upstairs?”

“Well, no…” The sound the hoofsteps made changed. What was muffled shuffling was now the soft thudding of hoof on wood. Their owner was on the stairs now, "But she does bring along her pet rabbit, Angel Bunny. And Angel, well…”

As if on cue, a yellow hoof appeared from the stairway. The pit in Sunset’s gut tore open as the owner of said hoof fully descended, revealing not only a familiar pink mane but also a white rabbit - the tail's owner, Sunset realized.

Oh,

Fluttershy traipsed into the room, her eyes hesitantly flicking from Sunset to Rarity and back again. She meandered over to the other two, and a nervous smile adorned her face. Slowly, she lifted a hoof and waived to Sunset, a motion which she herself did not return.

“Hello, Sunset…” Fluttershy mumbled. The bunny - Angel - hopped off her head. It turned its head back up to its owner and crossed its arms, one of its feet beginning to rapidly beat on the floor. Fluttershy’s eyes danced over to it before landing back on Sunset.

“Um… Sunset… I’m sorry to ask this, but Angel Bunny here couldn’t help but overhear you talking to Rarity about Gala tickets…”

So I noticed…

“And… well… Angel is really hoping he could go to the Gala… I’m not sure if you’ve already decided on somepony, but he’s really interested in the flora, and…”

Sunset began to filter Fluttershy’s voice out as her eyes meandered over to Angel. He was still looking up at Fluttershy, beating a foot against Rarity’s floor, and eying her with an impatient, demanding look on his face. The temptation to beat him over the head with her saddlebags was hard to resist, but rest assured that regardless of who she chose he wouldn’t be going.

“... and the castle’s wildlife! He could make so many new friends there, you know?”

Again, Sunset lifted hoof to horn and began to massage it. So now Fluttershy knew too. Brilliant. Buck it, at this rate why not tell Pinkie Pie? Hay, tell the whole bucking town, what with how hard keeping this ticket under wraps was. Air hissed out of her nose, and she stole a quick glance at Rarity. Fortunately, Rarity seemed to notice and gently rested a hoof on Sunset’s shoulder.

“Fluttershy, Dear, Sunset’s looking for Rainbow. You haven’t happened to have seen her, have you?”

“Oh…” Sunset looked over, and Fluttershy had a hoof to her mouth, "I think I did on my way here," She turned towards one of the windows, and pointed a hoof back into town.

“I saw her at Ponyville Square, but she was pretty high up. She’s probably back at her place if I had to guess…”

“I see…”

Sunset allowed herself a curt nod toward Fluttershy, before turning her attention back to Rarity. She schooled her mouth into a polite smile and nodded to the other unicorn.

“Well, I’d better be going. Sorry to impose,"

“Impose? Not at all, Darling!” Rarity returned her nod with a small wave, "Do come around later once you’ve finished your… er… chat, with Rainbow,"

“I’ll think about it," Sunset gave one last wave before pivoting around, catching sight of the bunny, and casting the wretch a glare. The bunny seemed surprised, which at least was satisfying to see before the door closed. Hoofsteps sounded from inside Carousel, slowly fading away no doubt back up the stairs, and air hissed passed her nostrils once she could no longer hear them.

“Fantastic…”

Sunset kicked herself back into a canter down the way she came. Her saddlebags continued to pound into her with every step she took. She shot a look back at them, glowering at the bags that threatened to break her barrel in half, then turned her eyes back to the road.

Fine, I’ll put these away,

Ponyville Square was significantly more populated than it had been earlier, and the market was in full swing. Golden Oaks was easily visible from here, and it was only moments before she began her blitz down road, after road, after road. Leaping onto the library’s path, her horn ignited and Golden Oaks’ door flew open just in time for her to charge in…

… and subsequently crash into an offensively pink blockade.

“Oof!”

Sunset’s hind legs were the first to leave the ground. Her forelegs were quick to follow and joined her back ones in a quick trip up and over the rest of her body as she bowled over the blockade. Her horn was the first part to touch the ground. A sharp cry erupted from her throat as the unwanted contact sent flashes of light across her vision, a painful process only punctuated by the cracking sound the floor made as the rest of her body soon followed. The unmistakable pop of a clasp being undone sounded from both her sides, and her saddlebags felt much, much lighter. This new weightless feeling was soon followed by a myriad of rustling sounds and soft bounces.

You’ve got to be bucking kidding me…

It was a sentiment she could barely form as she groggily shuffled her legs about, slowly finding her footing before drunkenly stumbling up into a standing position. Lifting a hoof, she brought it up to her horn, groaning and gingerly rubbing it, hoping, willing for the splitting headache to please, bugger off.

I forgot just how much hitting my horn bucking hurts,

The groaning of a second voice prompted Sunset to lower her hoof. She blinked, trying, (though failing) to refocus her vision properly and concentrate on the fuzzy pink ball lying on the floor.

“Ugh… Pinkie?”

“Sunset!”

With no warning, the pink ball bounced up from its spot on the floor, unfazed by the sudden crash and way, way, way too loud. Another groan escaped her lips as Pinkie lurched forwards toward her vision. She could actually make out the deep blue of her friend’s eyes now, but the sudden speed at which Pinkie moved threatened her stomach to make its displeasure known. Taking a few steps back she tripped over something soft, unceremoniously landing rump first on it, though by the feel of it, it was just a bean bag.

I suppose there are worse places to land,

Now with multiple hooves free and the intruder confirmed, Sunset closed her eyes and moved both forehooves back to her horn, gripping it even tighter than she had before and slowly rocking back and forth. The splitting pain of the immediate contact had now dulled into the modest sensation of somepony repeatedly striking her horn with a hammer. It was hardly an improvement, but was one nonetheless. She cracked an eye open at the blurry pink ball in front of her and mustered up as much of a glower as she could.

Pinkie better leave the library in five bucking seconds or I swear to the heavens above…

“I’m sorry I ran into you, Sunset!”

The pink ball bounded towards her again, and again Pinkie’s eyes came into view. To her credit, she looked legitimately sorry. She undid the straps of Sunset’s saddlebags and, presumably, slapped them over herself. The sounds of hoofsteps sounded from multiple directions as Pinkie padded around the library, and were occasionally punctuated by the rustle of lettuce, or the sound of an apple being dropped back into the saddlebags.

“I woke up this morning and I had an absolutely great idea for a cupcake! I came up with one made after you and it was so good I absolutely had to tell you! But I knocked and you weren’t answering, so I headed in and you still weren’t around, so I took a look upstairs, and-!”

“Pinkie…” Sunset opened one eye and continued to track what of her friend she could make out, but that quickly became a task in and of itself, "Enough, please,"

“Ohhh, fine,"

Two sharp pops came from Pinkie’s direction, and her hoofsteps meandered away from Sunset before the sounds of saddlebags being undone reached her ears. A small ‘thump’ sounded from across the room, and though she could scarce see what was happening, Pinkie seemed to be making her way back towards her.

“Your bags are on the counter!” Pinkie chirped.

Well, that was certainly good news. Lifting her hooves away from her horn, Sunset slowly began to blink. Slowly, surely, the world was coming back into focus. At the very least she could actually make out the shape of her friend, though her mane was still impossibly blurry.

“Thanks,"

It took a moment, perhaps another half-minute, but she breathed a sigh of relief once her sight had righted itself. Her head still hurt to Tartarus and back, but for the most part, she trusted herself to be able to walk again. She shifted forwards, sticking out her forelegs and catching herself as she slowly pushed back to all fours.

Her eyes fell onto her saddlebags, and indeed, they were over on the check stand, across the room. Igniting her horn, Sunset winced as the bags lifted, and began to float over to her. Using magic stung, just a little, but it was nothing that wouldn’t pass in time.

There we go,’ She thought once her saddlebags landed on her barrel. The strap snaked around, sliding into place and tightened again as if Pinkie’d never removed them. ‘Speaking of…’ Pivoting to her right, Sunset’s eyes fell on Pinkie. Her friend was looking back at her, eyes wide as could be, and her trademark happy-go-lucky smile was still branded on her face.

“Are ya feeling better, Sunny?” Pinkie asked.

Sunset fought to retain her posture as her head throbbed again, "... No,"

“Oh,"

With no warning, in two bounds Pinkie leaped to Sunset’s side and threw a hoof over her. She was standing uncomfortably close, her presence enough for the saddlebags to once again start carving into Sunset’s barrel. Sunset tried to step away, but Pinkie’s hoof remained glued to her.

“That’s okay! I’m sure you’ll be fine! That was one nasty crash we had! I gotta say I was a little worried about you when you hit your horn! Trust me, I’ve seen what happens when unicorns hit their horn. I think you handled it pretty well!”

“I’m flattered,"

Sunset dug her own hoof under Pinkie’s and forced the unwanted appendage back up and over. To Pinkie’s credit, she seemed to get the hint, wordlessly stepping away from Sunset and giving her at least some space. Sighing, Sunset glanced down at her saddlebags. The produce looked a little battered, but it was certainly still fine. She’d just have to wash them more thoroughly later. Pivoting around once more, she started towards the private half of Golden Oaks, casting Pinkie a look and beckoning her with a hoof.

“So, what’d you make the trek all the way here for?” She threw as much energy into her voice as she could, as tempting as it was to do otherwise. It wasn’t Pinkie’s fault she’d caught her at a bad time, "I can’t imagine it was just to see me,"

“Aww, I can’t not have a reason to visit my friends? C’mon, you silly filly!” Pinkie’s laughter echoed through the hallway as she bounced in front of Sunset, "But you’re right!”

The two came to a stop at the kitchen… area. Sunset undid her saddlebags and set them on the table, and the refrigerator door swung open as one by one the produce lifted itself from the bag and began to float inside. Pinkie seemed to be enjoying the little display of magic, her eyes not leaving the floating fruits as she began to speak.

“I wanted to tell you about a new cupcake I made!” Pinkie said, "I have a cupcake based on everypony I know! So when they’re feeling all sad and come by Sugarcube Corner I can whip something up just for them! It took me a long while to find one, but I have one for you!”

“Oh really?”

“Uh-huh!” Pinkie’s enthusiastic nod threatened to tangle her mane in Sunset’s horn, "I know you don’t like sweet things that much, so it was hard to come up with something that wasn’t sweet, while still being sweet! Anyways, I finally did it! And I was so excited I just had to come here and find you! But you weren’t here!”

“Yeah. I was at the market this morning," With the last of the produce now in the fridge, her horn powered down, "So, what flavor?”

“Banana! Banana and strawberry!” Pinkie chirped. She dug around in her mane, until she pulled out a folded piece of paper, unfolding it, and slapping it on the table, "Ta-da!”

Grabbing it in her magic, Sunset lifted it up and unfolded it. It was alarmingly intricate, with a specific number of stirs when mixing the dry ingredients, where to pour the wet ones when mixing them all together… if anything it seemed a bit excessive.

Reservations aside, it was cute. She folded the paper up and passed it back to Pinkie, who promptly re-stashed it in her mane, "It’s nice," She said, "Thanks,"

Pinkie’s immediate response was a gasp, "Ohhh, you like it!” She began to bounce around the table, her mouth rattling off at a speed that even Rainbow would find envious, "You like it, you like it, you like it, you like it, you like it, you like it, you like it, you like it!” She stopped just in front of Sunset, and lunged, throwing her hooves around her and eliciting a yelp as the unexpected weight threatened to throw Sunset to her hooves, "You like it!”

“Yes! Yes, Pinkie, I do!” Lighting her horn, Sunset managed to pry Pinkie’s forelegs off her, for good measure lifting her friend up completely and placing her outside of hoof’s reach. Redirecting her magic to her saddlebags, they began to glow before Pinkie’s voice snapped her attention away from them.

“Oh! One more thing!”

For a moment the sound of rustling came from her friend, followed by the sound of hoofsteps as Pinkie recovered the distance Sunset placed between them. Sunset turned and fully focused on the object Pinkie held.

It took her a moment. Perhaps two, three, or even more before she fully registered what exactly Pinkie was showing her, but regardless of how long it took, all she could do was silently curse herself for bothering to look.

Or perhaps it was good that she had.

Clasped in Pinkie’s mouth were the two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala. Truthfully, while Sunset would like to say she was shocked, with the way the day had been going, it really was only a matter of time until Pinkie found out. Biting back a groan, she ignited her horn and snatched the tickets out of Pinkie’s mouth, and a couple steps later she lunged at her saddlebag, grabbing the poor article in her mouth and aggressively yanking it off the table. Pinkie seemed oblivious to her annoyance, instead bounding right behind her as she followed Sunset back out of the kitchen.

“You never told me you got tickets to the Gala!”

“Mmm-hmm," Sunset muttered around the straps.

There was a bucking reason for that,

“So can I go? Can I, can I, can I?” Sunset found herself trotting a little faster as Pinkie bounded up to her side, nearly trapping her against the wall, as with every hop she did a little more distance between her and Sunset was lost, "Pleeeease? It’s the biggest party in Equestria, and there’s gonna be cake and streamers and -”

Acid boiled in Sunset’s gut as she cast Pinkie a glare, one that went unnoticed before she cantered back into the library proper. Moving over to the checkout counter she deposited her bag and cast one last glare at the tickets before warping them back to her room.

“Why the hay did you go into my room?” At this point, Pinkie discovering the Gala tickets was scarce why she was moments away from spitting fire, "My room is private,"

Her sudden change in tone caused Pinkie to falter. Her smile flickered, and she seemed to look, truly look, at Sunset before slowly pawing at the floor with her hoof.

“Oh, uhhh…I’m sorry," She hedged. It was hardly sufficient, in fact, not at all. ‘Sorry’ didn’t just undo trespassing, and not yelling that at Pinkie took more effort than Sunset was willing to admit. Pinkie seemed to notice though, and began to trudge towards the door.

“I just really wanted to find you. I really wanted to show you the cupcake and, well, I just kinda got really excited," She was at the door now, one hoof on the knob. She gave Sunset a sad smile that pounded away at her anger far quicker than Sunset could supply it. Bringing a hoof up to her head she groaned, massaging her horn briefly before setting it back down. ‘Great. Make me feel bad, why don’t you?

“Look, Pinkie, I appreciate it. And I’ll consider the Gala ticket,"

And I mean consider,

Almost immediately Pinkie’s face brightened, "Just don’t search my room when you’re trying to find me, okay?”

“Okay!”

It was like a switch was flipped and the past few moments never happened. Pinkie’s hoof left the doorknob as she bounded over to Sunset, again throwing her hooves over her and crushing her with such force Sunset felt liable to pass out then and there. It was a process that was mercifully short, thankfully, as after only moments Pinkie’s hooves left Sunset. Gasping for air, Sunset only blearily made out Pinkie bounding back to the door, throwing it open and waving at her.

“See ya, Sunny! And I promise I’ll keep those tickets-!” She mimicked a zipper over her mouth, "Hush hush!” Sunset opened her mouth to speak, but Pinkie was already gone, having launched herself out the door, down the steps, and… back to Sugarcube Corner, probably. Said door was still open, and with a quick flicker of the horn, it was shut.

“Ugh…”

Sunset pivoted towards the staircase and stomped up. Her horn glowed cyan and her room’s door flew open, bidding her entry before she slammed it shut. So, all of her friends knew about the ticket, and all of them wanted to go as well.

Fantastic,’ Sunset grumbled to herself. ‘So much for keeping it a bucking secret,

Had Rainbow not learned of it then only Rarity, and perhaps Pinkie would know. Still not ideal, but three ponies not knowing what they were missing was better than none. ‘Speaking of…

She still needed to find Rainbow. Sunset trotted over to the nearby window and put her hooves up on the sill.

Where the hay could I find that mare?

Truthfully, Rainbow’s schedule was a mystery. Everypony said that Rainbow was the earliest riser in Ponyville, and it wasn’t unfounded. Oftentimes when she stayed up exceptionally late - until about two or three - she’d catch a glimpse of Rainbow flying about the sky, pushing clouds here and there, doing some sort of setup for next morning. Unfortunately, her knowledge of her friend’s patterns started and ended there. When it came to her downtime, knowing she liked to nap on clouds or watching her fly away from Ponyville for a couple of hours barely counted as knowledge.

I suppose I’ll just have to hit the streets,

Air hissed passed Sunset’s lips and she cast a final glare at the town before forcing herself away from the windowsill. Wandering around aimlessly was perhaps the least efficient searching method there was, but Rainbow left few options otherwise. Her door flew open once more, and she took her exit, clomping down the stairs and to her saddlebags. They flew around her once more, and while they were hardly needed, they were nice to have. A quick adjustment later, and she was out the door and on the road.

Almost immediately her hooves left the ground.

Sunset let out a yelp as without warning a pair of hooves wrapped around her barrel. Her salad from earlier threatened to climb back up her throat as the wind left her lungs, and she flailed her now airborne hooves about as the ground rapidly grew smaller.

“Hey, Sunset!” Immediately all of Sunset’s flailing came to a halt as her abductor’s voice reached her ears.

There’s no bucking way…

“Glad I caught ya heading out, huh?”

Sunset’s horn nearly gouged her abductee as she shot her head upwards. Sure enough, Rainbow Dash had her arms wrapped around Sunset, casting her gaze about with her signature stupid grin. Oblivious, seemingly, to the glare Sunset’s face had contorted into as the flailing from her limbs started up again.

“Rainbow!” Sunset yelled, "Put me down!”

“So, where ya headed? Just point the way!”

With no warning, Rainbow began to accelerate. Sunset grit her teeth as the wind picked up, threatening her eyes, muzzle, and… everything really, peppering her with flecks of dust and other airborne objects one might commonly find. The pounding in her head returned in full force, threatening to split her horn in two as sparks began to fly from it.

Rainbow Dash! Put me down right now!

“Aww, come on!” Rainbow said through her laughter, "Let me take you where you gotta go! You’ll love it, I promise! Anything for my bestie!”

Bestie?

It was like a switch went off, and Sunset’s maniacal flailing momentarily ceased, discomfort forgotten as she gazed up at Rainbow with a blank expression. Rainbow had said that earlier this morning. And this. It was again when she was offering to give Sunset a lift, which was in regards to -.

Is this - is this about that bucking ticket again?

If looks could kill, Rainbow Dash would be dead. There was no way in Tartarus this wasn’t about that accursed ticket. This stupid thing which had been haunting her all day now, which was likely to give her more gray hairs in her mane by sundown than she’d get in the next twenty years.

The pounding in her skull evolved into full-on thunder strikes. Acid churned in her stomach as she roared back up at her friend, her throat warping and twisting her voice to where it barely sounded like her own, "Rainbow Dash! Put me down right now, or I swear I will clip your bucking wings!

“Whoa, whoa! Okay!”

Almost instantly her ride paused, nearly chucking Sunset from Rainbow’s hooves before she catapulted downwards, dropping her mercifully with little fanfare back onto the dirt roads of Ponyville.

Silence passed between the two as Sunset brushed the dirt and various sky debris off her coat. The wind alone really did a number on it, and she held back a grimace at the thought of her mane. Well, from what little was visible, it didn’t look too bad. Sure, there were a few stray hairs. But nothing a little magic couldn’t fix.

That aside…

Rainbow was looking at her, with a strange expression crossed between confusion and hopefulness. ‘Hmph,’ Her wings nearly scraped the dirt road and one of her hind hooves was tapping against it. ‘Have some bucking dignity,

“Don’t ever spirit me off my porch again," Sunset fought to keep her voice measured. A glance told Sunset she was now around Ponyville Square. Most ponies were out and about now, so space on the streets was getting hard to come by, "Though I was actually looking for you,"

“Huh? You were?” For an instant, the hope in her face outweighed her confusion, nearly removing any trace of it before it was beaten back by Sunset as she took a step closer and leaned in.

“Applejack told me about the tickets!” Sunset hissed, “That was none of your bucking business telling her that!”

Rainbow’s eyes widened and she immediately backed away from Sunset. Were it silent on the road, Sunset might be able to hear the clockwork in Rainbow’s head. Rainbow gave her a sheepish smile and scratched the back of her head as her eyes looked everywhere but at her.

“... Oh," Rainbow said lamely, "You uh, you heard about that,"

“Yes," Sunset hissed, "I did,"

Rainbow was skating on very thin ice in regard to the ticket. By no means did she plan on choosing somepony right now when the Gala was the better part of a year away, but if this ticket brought out this side in her friend, this disrespectful, and as Rarity had put it, ‘rabid’ side, then by no means was she about to reward this kind of behaviour. No, she refused to.

Rainbow’s posture deflated. The sheepish smile devolved into a legitimately sorry look. She kicked the ground, glanced at Sunset, and opened her mouth before letting out a sigh.

“Uhh, sorry, Sunset," Rainbow began, "I probably shouldn’t’ve blabbed to AJ about the tickets. Or picked ya up like that,"

Sunset blinked. Strange… Rainbow looked like she meant it too. A welcome surprise, though not enough to lift her spirits (not that she was inclined to allow it), "Well I appreciate that,"

Her words seemed to be enough for Rainbow, at the very least. Her friend’s expression immediately brightened and brought back her hopeful look. Her wings fluttered for a moment, "Did ya still want a flight though?” She hedged, "To wherever you’re headed?”

“No," Sunset immediately stood back up. It was a little harsh, granted, and Rainbow’s flinching didn’t go unnoticed, but she was drained, and nothing sounded better than heading back to Golden Oaks, "I think I’ve flown enough for one day,"

Rainbow looked disappointed, but quickly masked it with what was an attempt at her usual smile, "Oh… alright," Her wings flared to their fullest, and she gave Sunset a mock salute before sweeping them downwards, kicking up a cloud of dust as she soared off, "Later!”

Sunset lifted her hoof up just in time to block the dust from entering her eyes before she set it back down. Casting one final glare at her friend - though more for the dust this time than anything else, she hopped back onto the road and spun herself back towards Golden Oaks.

The walk itself took a fair few minutes, though if she were to be totally honest, a large part of it was that she felt too drained to move at anything above an old pony’s trot. Her saddlebags, though empty, felt like lead against her by the time she climbed the steps to Golden Oaks.

I really shouldn’t have brought these,’ She grumbled to herself as she lit her horn. ‘Oh well,

It felt like Equestria itself was lifted from her shoulders as she stepped back inside the library, and she made no bones about the speed with which she slammed the door behind her. The sooner it was closed, the sooner she could recharge herself. Her saddlebags undid themselves, floating back onto the checkout counter, where the soft ‘thump’ they made breathed new life back into her muscles. She remained stationary for a moment, basking in what silence her home allowed her before meandering over to one of the beanbags, unceremoniously toppling onto it and wrapping her hooves around what of it she could. Stars above, how had she not owned one before moving here?

Perhaps I should buy one for the castle, whenever I visit,’ It was hardly a bad plan.

A smile threatened, but never graced her face as Sunset lay there. A welcoming ache built up in her muscles, one that only encouraged her to burrow further into the bean bag and forget about the rest of the day, even if it’d been only a couple of hours at most. But hey, she’d gotten her groceries, and clamped down on word of the tickets, so there wasn’t much on the agenda now, save for perhaps meeting up with Rarity later.

Not sure what we’d do, but hay, seeing her sounds nice,’ Sunset detached her hooves from the bean bag, and propped them up on it, creating a spot to rest her muzzle. ‘But she’s probably busy with Fluttershy right now,’ Perhaps she’d catch Rarity afterward, whenever that might be.

If that was the case, then she knew of one other way to pass the time.

Rolling off the bean bag, Sunset dragged herself to her hooves, and set her sights on the staircase. Her horn ignited once she ascended the topmost step and pushed open the door just in time for her to trot into the room without missing a beat.

Her magic redirected itself to a book, one of only a few on her nightstand. It wasn’t the one she used to communicate with Luna, but it was a book she’d cracked open quite a lot regardless. It flew out from under her messaging book and stopped just in front of her muzzle.

Emotions & Reason: Intermediate Spells for the Aspiring Arcanist

Sunset flipped the book over once, twice, and let out a hum. Continuing the book was tempting, and she’d gotten decently far on it, but at the same time, she hadn’t meditated in a while. It was fine, considering she hadn’t used dark magic since her skirmish with Daybreaker, but she definitely wasn’t in the best head space to go reading, or even practicing it right now.

Guess testing that corrosion spell will have to wait,

A sigh escaped her lips, and she cast her book a glum look. She warped it above her nightstand and watched it crash onto the other two books stacked there. The resulting wind rustled the tickets, but she refused to acknowledge them.

“Meditation it is,"

She trotted to the front of her bed and turned away from it, sat down, closed her eyes, and straightened her back as much as possible. Inhaling as deep as she could, she directed all her focus into it, banishing all of her thoughts, and concentrated on simply breathing.

***

Sunset was unsure of how much time passed. An hour was a safe bet, perhaps two, but a knock coming from the front door was what coaxed her out of her rhythm. Opening her eyes, she cast her gaze downwards.

“Hmm?”

There was a moment of silence before the knock sounded again, and with it came the uncomfortable sensation of her gut plummeting through every layer of Golden Oaks. Placing her face in her hooves she let out a sigh. It was tempting to march down there and tell whoever the hay was there that Golden Oaks was closed, but there had only been one pony visiting Golden Oaks today.

I swear if that’s Rainbow…

The knock came again, and she let out a groan. Pulling herself back to all fours, she quickly pushed her door open and made her way down the stairs, "Yeah, yeah, I’m coming!” It seemed to please the knocker, as the door fell silent, and remained so as she trotted up to it.

“Sorry, but Golden Oaks is closed on Sundays," The robotic voice slipped from her mouth as soon as the door began to open, "Come back tomorrow if you need anyth-,"

“Oh… sorry, Sunset,"

Sunset paused and blinked. That… wasn’t the expected voice. She stepped to the side and pushed the door open the rest of the way.

“Oh. Fluttershy,"

Indeed, waiting on the other side of the door stood Fluttershy. She seemed to be trying her hardest to hide her face behind her mane. A bouquet was tucked beneath her wing, and glancing to her side revealed that rabbit, Angel Bunny, standing next to her and giving her an expectant look.

“Come on in,"

The door was only open a moment before Angel bounded into the room. Fluttershy quickly followed, and seemed determined to look anywhere but at Sunset. Curious, but inquiring probably wouldn’t work out great.

“Are you sure this is okay?” Fluttershy mumbled, "You’re not busy or anything?”

“No, I’m not. Just thought you were somepony else," Closing the door, Sunset meandered over to a nearby chair and clambered onto it, gesturing to one close by, "You want anything?”

Fluttershy quickly shook her head, "Oh, no thank you," She finally brought her gaze to Sunset, giving her a small smile, and slowly began trotting towards her. Her wing - the one with the bouquet began to twitch, further curling itself underneath it and drawing Sunset’s gaze.

Hm,

“I’m afraid I can’t stay long, actually, but there’s something Ange-,"

A sudden thump cut Fluttershy off and drew both mares’ attention to Angel, who was busy beating his foot against one of Fluttershy’s hooves. Fluttershy quickly lifted said hoof and patted him on the head before turning her gaze back to Sunset.

“Something I wanted to give you,"

Sunset raised an eyebrow as Fluttershy’s wing, the one that had tucked itself underneath the bouquet unfurled. It dropped to her hooves, and she sank to her haunches, extending the bouquet towards Sunset with, again, a nervous smile on her lips.

“For being such a good friend and all,"

The bouquet awaited Sunset’s acceptance, though she made no such move. Instead, she redirected her eyes back to the rabbit. Angel had ceased his assault and sat down with his arms crossed, looking expectantly between Sunset, Fluttershy, and the bouquet.

I see…’ Memories began to float to the forefront of Sunset’s mind, memories of earlier, when Rainbow too had offered something on the pretext of Sunset ‘being a good friend’. ‘So that’s how it is,

“I see…” She voiced. Igniting her horn, the bouquet lifted from Fluttershy’s hooves. For an instant, her friend’s face brightened until instead of floating towards Sunset, the bouquet was levitated over to the checkout counter where it was lowered only slightly before being dropped the last few inches, "Is this about the Gala tickets?”

All the color from Fluttershy’s face drained and her wings began to rustle. She glanced down at Angel before returning her gaze to Sunset, or at least attempted to.

“The… the tickets?” She mumbled, "N-no… not at all, I promise,"

It was a lie. Pure and simple, it was a lie, and each word drilled a fresh nail further into Sunset’s skull. Gritting her teeth she hopped off her chair and took a step toward her friend, "Oh really?”

Fluttershy flinched, and took her own step back. She began to play with her mane, winding it around her leg as words left her mouth. Words that were too quiet, too nonexistent to be anything more than inaudible gibberish. Sunset’s impatience must have been showing, as Fluttershy only had to meet her gaze again before she broke down.

“It is! It is, I’m sorry, Sunset!” Fluttershy’s hoof untangled itself, and her mane fell in front of her eyes as she sank further toward the floor. Angel restarted his kicking, this time even more intense than before, "It’s just… Angel really wants to go, and I really want him to be happy, and well…”

“I suppose a part of me wants to go too,"

“Hm,”

Sunset bit her lip as she gazed down at the display Fluttershy was putting on. So once again, these bucking tickets were the cause of these stupid favors. Though to be fair, this one seemed more to be the bunny’s doing than Fluttershy’s.

But she’s still a guilty party,’ She thought as she directed her gaze to the stupid rabbit. He was still kicking Fluttershy, and seemingly oblivious to all else. Sunset shot him a glare, one he definitely didn’t notice as she lit her horn. It took a moment, but the patch of wood beneath Angel began to glow white. No sooner had it, the bunny immediately leaped into the air, silently yelping as his arms flew to his rear which - while previously completely pristine - now sported a singe mark covering all of it. Angel shot her a glare, to which she only leered in response.

Serves you right you little prat,

The leer worked, as Angel's glare was immediately replaced by a look of terror, and he immediately scampered behind Fluttershy, tucking himself underneath her tail.

Speaking of,’ Trotting forwards a few more steps she stopped just in front of her friend. She poked Fluttershy, gently, prompting her to take her face out of her mane.

“Hm?”

“Fluttershy. Listen to me,"

Again Fluttershy flinched, but she seemed to still be able to look at Sunset. Good.

“I don’t appreciate being strongarmed into taking somepony along, okay? Buying things for me that you wouldn’t have otherwise isn’t going to help. In fact,” Sunset fought to keep her voice level as she lifted a hoof, violently jutting it towards the counter and casting the bouquet a disparaging look, "That, only makes me want to take you even less. So don’t try and tempt me, okay? It’s not going to work,"

“O… okay,” Fluttershy’s gaze fell away, and she began to mumble, “I’m… I’m sorry, Sunset. I didn’t realize that… that… oh no…,"

She scooped up Angel and trotted over to the door, and placed a hoof on the knob before casting one last glance at Sunset, who had to bite back a groan when she met Fluttershy’s eyes.

Really turning on the waterworks. Make me feel terrible, why don’t you?

“Look, Fluttershy, it’s fine,” she grumbled, though not that it really was, “Just, please don’t do it again, okay?”

That seemed to calm Fluttershy down, or at the very least her face brightened. It wasn’t a smile, not by a long shot, but she didn’t look like she was about to cry, "Of course!” Was all she said before she pushed the door open, "Um… goodbye, Sunset,"

“Goodbye,"

Sunset remained stationary until the door fully swung shut. No sooner had it, she sucked in the deepest breath she could and glared daggers at the door, before slowly letting it out and turning her attention to Fluttershy’s bouquet.

“Relax, Sunset," She mumbled as she trotted over to it, "Relax, relax, relax,"

Igniting her horn, Sunset pulled the bouquet off the counter. She pulled it towards herself and rotated it, flipped it up, down, and every which way as she inspected every flower it had.

It was a nice bouquet, she’d give it that. It was filled with roses, orchids, peonies, and an assortment of other flowers. ‘Interesting,’ In a flash of light it was gone, and Sunset pivoted towards the door. The bouquet could wait until later, but if Fluttershy was heading back to her place, then perhaps Rarity was free now.

***

One moment!

Standing in front of Carousel Boutique, Rarity’s voice was a welcome sound for Sunset’s ears. She stepped back and affixed a smile - a genuine one this time - to her face as the door glowed blue, pulling open and revealing Rarity. Her friend’s face instantly brightened and she stepped to the side and gestured indoors.

“Ah! Sunset! What a pleasant surprise! Do come in, Darling,"

“It’s hardly a surprise, Rarity," Sunset said, "You told me to stop by, so here I am,"

“Yes, well, allow a lady her delight, please," The door closed and Rarity ushered Sunset up the stairs, "I've kept the kettle warm! You only just missed dear Fluttershy, I’m afraid,"

I’m aware,

Climbing the stairs, one of the doors on the second floor, Rarity’s room, glowed blue and opened. Following her friend in, she set hoof in a room as purple as the lower rooms were pink. Mahogany bookshelves lined the room’s edges, though instead of living up to their name they were chock full of various cloth and fabric. A bed sat in a corner, also mahogany, nestled in between the shelves and a nearby desk that was situated beside the lone window. A table with two chairs was what capped off the furniture: clean, and dead in the center of the room. A tea tray loaded with cups, teabags, cream, sugar, and a kettle was on said table, and as Rarity implied, steam was coming off the kettle. Both Sunset and Rarity trotted over to the table, and Rarity picked up one of the cups, inspected it, and nodded before she turned her attention to the assorted tea bags.

“The usual, Dear?” She asked, and gestured to a seat which Sunset promptly took.

“Yes please,"

“Wonderful!” Rarity beamed at her as she pulled out a teabag. Indeed, it was a brand of cinnamon spice, which was promptly placed in the cup and filled with water. Rarity eyed the cup a moment longer, before scrunching her muzzle and pulling away, "I still don’t know why you won’t sweeten your tea. It can’t taste good like that,"

Sunset levitated the cup towards herself and gave Rarity a smile before taking a sip, "You’d be surprised. And thanks,"

“Of course," Rarity said, pouring herself her own cup of tea. A sugar cube levitated from the bowl and was about to be dropped in before Rarity hesitated. She stared down at her tea, before lifting it up and taking a sip of her own, her expression mostly unreadable save for a slight grimace as she put the cup back down and dropped the cube in, and began to stir.

“Not a fan?”

“Perhaps one day, but no," A morose smile crossed her lips as she glanced up at Sunset, "Some of us have a terrible addiction to sugar, I suppose," A chuckle was shared before Sunset set her cup down, humming as a thought bounced about her mind.

“Fluttershy came by to see me before I headed out,"

“Hm?” Rarity seemed surprised. She blinked, and readjusted herself, "She did?”

“Yeah. Came to me with some flowers, because I was ‘such a good friend’," Sunset spat as she made air quotes with her hooves. Perhaps she shouldn’t be telling Rarity this. She came here because Rarity asked, but buck it if venting - albeit briefly - wasn’t tempting, "No points for guessing what it was about,"

Rarity sat still for a moment before she looked down at her tea. She sighed, took a sip, and shook her head.

“I was wondering why she left so abruptly," she said, "I apologize for that, Sunset,"

The sudden shift in her friend’s body language caused Sunset to wince. Buck, maybe she shouldn’t have said anything, "She didn’t stick around for long," relief coursed through her when Rarity brightened back up somewhat, "She said there was something she had to take care of back at her house,"

“Well, I do suppose that’s good news," Rarity giggled, though it was more subdued than her usual, "I’d have to step up my social game if I was bested by mere tickets,"

“Yeah, well I’ll tell you what; you were right," Sunset slumped back, and swilled down a sizable amount of her tea, "That’s Fluttershy and Rainbow now who’ve tried to get that stupid ticket. Ponies really will go crazy for that thing,"

Instead of a giggle Rarity let out a laugh. A genuine one by the sounds of it, instead of the quiet, forced giggle from moments ago. Batting her eyelashes, she gave Sunset a smile, one bordering on smug as she took a sip of her tea.

“One learns how ponies work, Dear, when it’s her job," Rarity said, putting the cup back down, pausing and seeming to mull something over in her head before continuing, "And truthfully I can hardly blame them. I’ll admit that I, too, was tempted to try and use… less-than-honorable methods to get that ticket,"

“... Hm?” Wait, had she? “What do you mean?”

“I mean what I said, Dear," Rarity punctuated her statement with another sip of her tea. Pulling back from her cup, she peered inside and frowned, setting it back on the table before pouring more water into it, accompanied by another sugar cube, "I understand you’ve expressed your… opinions, shall we say, on the Gala. But if I may, I’d like to explain just what kind of opportunity that ticket presents to a pony less close to the princess,"

It took a moment, but Sunset’s suddenly tensed muscles began to relax. ‘She said she was tempted, Sunset. She’s probably not gonna try anything,’ She readjusted herself in her seat and took another sip of her tea. Now empty, she placed the cup back down.

“Sure,"

A smile graced Rarity’s lips, "Much appreciated," She straightened herself, and took another sip of her tea.

“I know I mentioned this the other day,” she began, “but Sunset, while those tickets may not be valuable to you, you are Luna’s personal student. There are few others in Equestria as close to her as you are,"

“Take me for example; to the nobility of Canterlot, and to fashion at large, I do not exist. Don’t misunderstand me, there are ponies that know of me, but none of them command such agency as even the smallest in the Canterlot hierarchy. A tragedy, I know, but such is the world we live in, I’m afraid," She paused long enough to let out an extraordinarily dramatic sigh and throw a hoof over herself as she sagged into her chair. Sunset didn’t attempt to bite back her snort, and she and Rarity shared a quick laugh before Rarity resumed, "The Gala would allow me this opportunity, Darling. If I were to leave a lasting impression on one of them, it’s quite lofty, but take Prince Blueblood for example, that could change everything. Let’s say I show up in one of my dresses, and he asks me who the maker of such a fine dress was. I’d tell him it was yours truly of course, and he might ask me to make something for him. I’d oblige, and if I’m lucky, he’d like it so much he’d recommend me to others," Silence followed as Rarity took another sip of tea.

“It’s an upward spiral from there, Dear, as long as I keep my wits about me. At best I’d be drowning in commissions from Blueblood, Fancy Pants, and big names both in and out of Canterlot. At worst, well, there would be at least one name that appreciates me," A shiver passed through Rarity, and she gave Sunset another morose smile, "Though I sincerely hope I’d be appreciated by more than just one pony,"

“Applejack knows about the tickets, correct?” She continued before Sunset had a chance to respond, "I’d bet my mane she’s already told you something similar. Perhaps the tickets aren’t worth much to you, Darling, but to the rest of us; Applejack especially, it’s worth no less than its weight in gold. Not that I’m defending them, of course, but I can why they are acting as they are,"

For a moment Sunset said nothing, still processing everything Rarity’d thrown at her. It was surprising, really, to see this more clinical side of her friend, but the world of business demanded no less, she supposed.

But geez, she really thinks it’s that special?

Even still it seemed odd. In all the years she’d been forced to attend the Gala, nopony had tried to curry her favor. Not once had a noble, business owner, or otherwise tried to get an edge with her, tried to befriend her, or anything of the sort. They were always busy with idle chit-chat from what she’d heard and seen; meaningless fluff. Fluff that not only took up every iota of their words but every spot in their brains. The Gala was hardly the thrilling social engineering feat Rarity made it out to be, but her friend did have a flair for the dramatic.

Though,’ she reminded herself, ‘Rarity did say I hardly stood to gain anything from it,’ She shrugged. Perhaps Rarity was right, perhaps she wasn’t, but theatrics aside she seemed to believe what she was saying. ‘Good to know where she stands, at least,

“Well I appreciate it," Sunset levitated the kettle and refilled her tea, "Those two have already given me a right headache,"

“As I said, I was tempted," Rarity looked down at her cup, swirling it, and taking a sip before casting her gaze out the window, "But I remember how, er... stressed, you were, about Rainbow Dash this morning, and Fluttershy asking hardly helped matters. Anypony can see this is suffocating you, and a lady does not add to her friend’s burdens," Rarity finished her sentence with a small harrumph, clacking her cup against the table for emphasis, before taking her eyes off the window and bringing her gaze back to Sunset, a smile donning her face as she began to trace her hoof around the edges of the cup.

“But all this talk of the ticket is dreadfully taxing, is it not? I daresay you’d rather recharge yourself here, not be drained further. Let’s talk about something else, no?”

Rarity held out her cup, and Sunset eyed it for a moment, before relenting, smiling, and lifting her own, clinking it.

“Sounds good to me," She said as she took another sip, "But thanks for letting me get that off my chest,"

“Of course, Dear!” Rarity exclaimed, now fully grinning, "What are friends for, after all?”

***

The following hours at Carousel were a whirlwind of chitchat. Topics danced from Rarity’s latest commissions to Sunset’s latest tinkering with spells. From work to stories, to anything and everything in between, time ticked on, and the sun continued its journey across the sky, pushing its rays from one side of Rarity’s room to the other. Over the hours, Sunset's energy began to replenish. It was a welcome feeling, one she wished to steep herself in further, but time dictated she’d bothered Rarity for long enough.

“Farewell, then, Darling," Rarity’s sigh sounded from behind her as she pushed open Carousel’s front door. Pausing, she turned back to see Rarity waving at her with a faux-wistful smile on her face, "Are you sure I can’t tempt you into staying for longer? Please, Dear, I insist,"

Returning the wave, silly as it was, Sunset smiled before igniting her horn, "Sorry, Rarity. I appreciate it, really, but I’ve got to go home," she said, "I’ve got stuff to wrap up before tomorrow," It wasn’t strictly a lie, but as fun as her afternoon with her was, Sunset needed her alone time as much as the next pony, something that had been sorely lacking given the day, and something that had to be rectified immediately, Fortunately, Rarity seemed to be more than eager to provide an answer.

“The library?” Rarity asked, and Sunset nodded.

Trotting over to a nearby couch, Rarity threw a hoof over her head and teetered before gracefully collapsing onto it, "Oh, the woes of business. Trust me, Darling, I know exactly how you feel. As such, it would be no less than hypocritical of me to keep you here," Lifting a hoof, she once more waved, batting her eyelashes before hopping off the couch, "Ta-ta, Sunset. Perhaps I’ll see you tomorrow,"

“Sure," Turning her attention back to the door, Sunset pushed it open and hopped back onto the dirt road. She whipped her head back, and waved once more at Rarity, who’d made her way to Carousel’s entrance, "See you, Rarity,"

The door to Carousel closed and Sunset began the trot back to Golden Oaks. Looking up, the sun wasn’t on the horizon - far from it in fact, though it was decidedly way past the middle of the sky. Probably about five if she had to guess, maybe even later. Regardless of which, it certainly explained the grumbling that erupted in her stomach.

Guess tea isn’t exactly filling,’ Not that it was a surprise.

The market was wrapping up as Sunset set hoof into Ponyville Square. Vendors were taking their stalls down and making way for other ponies. Friends and families were parked near the fountain or were milling about the buildings on the outskirts, and if Sunset bothered looking, a few were even scurrying to the stalls, hastily making last-minute purchases before hightailing it back to their houses.

“Sunset!”

Sunset had barely stepped a hoof towards Golden Oaks before Pinkie bounded towards her, followed closely by Fluttershy. The two came to a halt in front of her, or rather Fluttershy did. Pinkie opted to bounce around Sunset as her mouth ran faster and faster.

“What brings you here? Funny, you know you’re standing right where Applejack’s stall was! Sorry, but you just missed her! She had to leave early today, I dunno why! Said something about being in a hurry, but that’s silly because I talked to her yesterday and she said she didn’t have any plans today, so who knows what she’s up to, and - !”

“Pinkie," Hastily interrupting her friend’s… everything, Sunset ignited her horn, snapping Pinkie’s muzzle shut and lifting a hoof, "Slower, please,"

Pinkie mumbled something that sounded like an affirmation, so Sunset relinquished her hold over her friend, taking a small step back towards her and gesturing towards her, "From the top,"

“Uh-huh!” She said, "The bakery was out of flour, so I had to go buy some! On the way there I saw Applejack packing up her stall! Dunno why though, but she said she was in a hurry!” Without warning, Pinkie turned back around, throwing her hooves over Fluttershy who let out a startled ‘Eep!’ as Pinkie’s sudden affection threatened to topple her over.

“And that’s when I ran into Fluttershy!”

“Um… yes, Pinkie. You did," Fluttershy mumbled. Both she and Sunset exchanged a glance before Fluttershy broke her eyes away, "We were running low on carrots, and Angel insisted I get some before the market closed…”

“I see,” Sunset let out a hum. Honestly, it didn’t matter to her either way why Fluttershy was out. If she was still nervous from their interaction hours ago, she didn’t need to be. Sure, trying to curry her favor was infuriating, but a bouquet of flowers was hardly the most offensive way to do it.

“So… how was Rarity?”

Sunset blinked and refocused her gaze on Fluttershy, who cast hers away again, "Er, you did just come from hers, right? Because of the way you came from and all…”

Oh, right. “Yeah, she’s fine. If you’re worried about how she feels, she’s not holding anything against you,"

Fluttershy seemed to relax, thankfully. She lifted her head and looked - actually looked - Sunset in the eyes, and her mouth knit itself into a smile, "Oh, that’s good,” she said, “I really didn’t want her to be offended or anything,"

Sunset vaguely waved a forehoof, "Fluttershy, it’s Rarity. I think you’ll be fine," It was then that her stomach punctuated the silence, interrupting her with a growl and drawing a look from her, Fluttershy, and Pinkie. She stared down at her stomach for a moment, before lifting her head back up and exchanging looks with Pinkie and Fluttershy, "... That said, tea isn’t the most filling thing," she chuckled.

Did somepony need grub?

Instinctually Sunset spun around, and her heart skipped a beat as her eyes fell on Applejack. Applejack stood in front of a cart absolutely chock full of food: Apple pie, apple fritter, cobbler, crumble, crisp, dumplings, caramelized, if it had a name it was there, all stacked one atop another that culminated in a mountain that dwarfed any and everyone that passed by. It was impressive, if nothing else, and the heat that radiated off the food could be felt, which was both surprising, and did the grumbling in Sunset’s stomach no favors.

“Oooh! Food!”

Pinkie was the first to react, bounding past Sunset and up to the cart. She reached out a hoof and swiped up a slice of pie, which she slowly guided to her mouth before Applejack swiped it back.

“Hey!”

“Now you look here!” Applejack placed the slice back on the cart, "This here’s for Sunset! If she wants to share it with ya, she can!” Glancing at Sunset she gave her a smile. A very familiar, hopeful, irritating smile that Sunset had seen enough of to last a lifetime and the mind-numbing hunger her food had induced was ripped away.

Oh,

“Aww, c’mon, Applejack! You’re being mean!”

Trudging away from the pile of food, Pinkie stopped in front of Sunset and looked up at her with the largest puppy-dog eyes she could muster, "Sunset? Can I have some?” She whimpered, "Please please please please please?”

Sunset said nothing as she glanced between Pinkie, Applejack, and the food. This was probably the most blatant ploy conceived of today, and to be honest she had half a mind to shoot her down on the spot.

However, she was hungry, and as far as Applejack had said, she was just offering her the food. ‘Out of her own goodwill, surely,’ Perhaps it was underhanded, sure, but she’d been putting up with it all day. Why not have some fun? Smiled, and nodded to Applejack, sidestepping Pinkie and trotting to the cart.

“Why thank you, Applejack," Sunset mustered up what cheer she could. She glanced at Pinkie and Fluttershy and beckoned them both, "Come on you two, there’s enough for three,"

Pinkie didn’t need to be told twice, zipping past Sunset and immediately began to engorge on the slice of pie Applejack had put back. Fluttershy, however, took a step back. An odd expression flashed across her face before she shook her head and began to fiddle with her saddlebags, "Oh, no thank you," she said, "I just ate at home,"

Pinkie was already devouring her fourth apple fritter by the time Sunset got to the cart. ‘Well, at least somepony’s enjoying herself,’. Scanning the buffet, Sunset spotted a small plate of apple crumble, complete with a spoon and even a napkin. Levitating it out, she picked up the spoon and slowly began to eat. It was pleasant enough, though it was hardly what she’d call food. Then again, apples were much better suited as sides than they were actual meals.

Oh well. She’d just have to eat something else later.

By the time she’d finished the plate of crumble, Pinkie had already polished off the rest of the cart and was now lying on her back, eyes closed, and stomach looking fit to burst. Whether she was just that fast an eater or Sunset that slow, who knew. Applejack was still next to the cart, and glaring daggers at Pinkie.

Oh come on, she at least appreciates the food,

“Thanks, Applejack," she said, again making sure her smile was still displayed. At least it seemed to steal her friend’s attention, as Applejack redirected her attention, fixing her with that stupid, hopeful look that made her blood boil, "That was good food,"

“Oh, really? Well of course it was, Sugarcube!” Applejack gave a little bow, "If you ever need any more, just say the word!”

Don’t count on it,

“Say…” Applejack mumbled once she’d finished hooking her cart to herself. She trotted over to Sunset, and cupped a hoof over her mouth, "I know you didn’t want to bring it up none, but have you figured out a plan for that ticket yet?”

And there it was. The million-bit question that Sunset had grown to hate so, so much. She pulled away, leering, which - to her satisfaction - knocked that accursed look off Applejack’s face.

“No," she said, "And as much as I appreciate the food, Applejack, it doesn’t make me want to pick you,"

Okay, perhaps - no. It was a cruel trick, plain and simple. But the look on Applejack’s face, the shrunken pupils, the hanging jaw, the absolute dumbstruck state she was in was such sweet relief after a whole half-day of everypony nonstop hounding her and not respecting her privacy.

So, subjectively? Yes, it was justified.

“Wh… wha…?” One of Applejack’s eyes twitched as her jaw flopped around. Funny, until she regained her bearings, and fixed Sunset with what could mercifully be described as a scowl.

“What the hay, Sunset?!” She stamped her hoof, "I didn’t lug all this food from Sweet Apple Acres for you to take it and tell me no!”

“Yeah? Well, I did!” What satisfaction drawn from Applejack’s reaction vanished as she matched her hateful expression, and returned the stomp with one of her own, “You knew I didn’t want to be bothered about it again, and yet you did it anyways!”

“That doesn’t mean you can just take my food and say no!”

“Why?! You offered! You didn’t say anything until after I’d taken it! How was I supposed to know it came with a catch?!”

Applejack opened her mouth to respond, but halted; biting her lip, but never letting up on her glare. She seemed to regain her bearings after a moment, but no sooner did she before a new voice cut her off.

“Oh! So that’s how it is!”

Descending into the verbal battlefield came a flurry of blue feathers. Sunset flinched as a cloud of dust was kicked up, and kicked herself for starting this bout in the middle of town.

“So Applejack’s allowed to stuff your face full to try and get those tickets, but I can’t give you a lift around town! I see!”

“Rainbow!” It was the first word to cross Sunset’s mind, “What the hay are you-?!”

Gaaasp!” In the blink of an eye, Pinkie had gone from lying on her back to standing on all fours. Her eyes weren’t on Sunset, instead focused on both Rainbow and Applejack, rapidly darting from one mare to the other as they seemed to get wider with each flick.

“You… you two are trying to get the tickets…?”

Silence reigned for a moment as all eyes shifted to Pinkie. Sunset blinked as she arched an eyebrow. Did Pinkie not know about this? ‘No, actually… I guess she didn’t,

Well, now everypony knows. Great,

“Well, too bad!” Sunset fought to regain her balance as Pinkie threw a hoof over her, "Because Sunset’s already taking me! Right?”

Pinkie turned and looked at her with her impossibly large eyes. Eyes that sparkled with again, hope, and her mouth just the same. Perhaps she should offer a response, but in truth, the energy she’d gotten back from Rarity’s tea time was draining fast, and all Sunset could muster was again an arched eyebrow. It took a moment, but soon the smile on Pinkie’s face began to dwindle. Her eyes lost their spark as her hoof slowly detached from Sunset’s body, and she took a few steps away.

“You… you’re not taking me?” Pinkie mumbled, "Oh no… oh no, no, no, no, no…”

Pinkie’s mumblings became less and less distinguishable with each word. So much so that Sunset had to lean in just to catch what her friend was saying. It was beyond unnerving, really, and she glanced at Rainbow with an expression that was probably somewhere between concern and anger, and Rainbow was looking back with something similar.

When I get my hooves around your neck…

Mere moments later Pinkie whipped around to face her, and Sunset had to fight down as yelp as Pinkie stared her down with a far too large grin.

“I know!”

In a flash she was by her side. She wrapped a forehoof around one of Sunset’s before pulling. Hard. Sunset yelped as the pull threw her off her hooves, her rapid scrabbling only barely able to give back her footing as Pinkie charged across Ponyville, with Applejack’s and Rainbow’s yells echoing behind her.

“Wha-?! Pinkie, let me go!”

“Move out, everypony! Pinkie’s on a mission!”

The cycle went as thus; Sunset wrestled her hoof from Pinkie. Pinkie’s left hoof replaced it. She’d remove the hoof once more, and the right one would have its turn.

Perhaps the solution was to employ her horn and lift Pinkie away in her entirety, but as Pinkie dragged her into Sugarcube Corner, it was far too late. She plopped Sunset at a table and began to zip around the bakery, throwing up decorations and kicking out everypony in the shop, including a very disgruntled Mr. and Mrs. Cake whom she hastily shooed out the door.

“Sorry, everypony! Urgent business! Remodeling the store, you know!” She said before promptly slamming the door behind them.

“Pinkie,” Sunset said once the last customer left, “don’t you dare try to -,"

“Oh, don’t say that, Sunny!” Pinkie said as she leaped away from the door. She ruffled Sunset’s mane before bounding to the other end of the store, pulling streamers out of… somewhere. She began to pin them to the ceiling at a rate that was almost unnatural as she looked back to Sunset, her mouth in a full-on grin as she called back, "I know you love my parties!”

Sunset opened her mouth to offer a reprisal, but no sooner had she, Pinkie had once more busied herself with decor. A hum escaped her friend’s lips, but by no means was it a contemplative one. Her humming fluctuated in pitch, rapidly climbing and tumbling rhythmically as the speed with which she put up decorations changed to match. For a moment she stopped, her eyes meeting Sunset’s as her body ground to a complete stop, save for one hoof tapping against the tiled floor in time with her hum. Sunset instead resolved to bury her face in her hooves, willing with all that she had to not to burn her friend’s tail off, as Pinkie launched into an absolutely absurd song. The lyrics were flattering but empty, and Sunset watched in morbid fascination as Pinkie redecorated the shop, cleaned off every table, and pulled out the goods from behind the cases.

The twisted hilarity of watching Pinkie drive the Cakes into financial ruin was brought to a halt, as no sooner had Pinkie finished her number than pounding sounded from the front door of Sugarcube Corner.

“Pinkie!” It was Applejack, "Open up!”

“Yeah!” Another voice chimed in; Rainbow, "We know Sunset’s in there! You’re not getting my ticket from her that easily!”

“And I told you it’s mine!”

Were Sunset’s teeth able to grind any harder they’d most likely crack. Cyan sparks descended into her vision as her horn popped and cracked, and a low growl escaped her lips as she covered her ears with her hooves. It succeeded in drowning out absolutely nothing, but perhaps it’d convince the budding migraine to back off a little.

As if.

“Hey! You two!” In only a leap and a bound, Pinkie had made it to the Corner’s front door. She threw it open, glaring daggers at the two… no, three mares on the other side. Fluttershy was there too, looking decidedly unamused by Rainbow’s and Applejack’s antics, though she seemed to occasionally mumble something under her breath that was lost over the din of her two friends. That said, the fact that she was with them at all didn’t serve to help Sunset’s headache.

“This is a party for me and Sunset only! Nopony else is allow- waugh!”

Neither Applejack, Rainbow, nor Fluttershy seemed to care as they barged passed Pinkie, the open door being invitation enough. Applejack's and Rainbow's eyes never left each other, however, as they seemed too busy arguing in circles about that stupid, Equestria-forsaken, bucking –.

“Business is more important than seeing the Shadowbolts, Rainbow! My family’s livelihood is riding on that ticket!”

“Psh! Your family’s plenty fine as is, and I have bits to worry about too, you know! Wowing the Shadowbolts is just as important as your family’s business! And besides, I saw the ticket first, so -!”

Enough!

Sunset’s horn roared to life and - in a matter of seconds - warped her and the others into the main room of Golden Oaks. Vague noises of shock came from the other four, but now their attention was fixed unquestionably, irrefutably, on Sunset.

For what felt to have been the first time that day, there was absolute silence as Sunset one-by-one eyed each of her friends. None seemed too interested in starting anything with her. ‘Good,

In a flash of cyan, Sunset called the two Gala tickets from their place on her nightstand. She drifted her eyes over to them, willing the two accursed slips of gold to understand her hatred for them before bringing her gaze back to her friends. Their looks of shock had only grown.

“I’ve had bucking enough of whatever the hay this is!” She cast her gaze one by one over the other four, each one shrinking back as her eyes landed on them. Taking another step towards them, she moved the tickets between herself and her friends, separating them just far enough, as to ensure one’s safety, "I’ve been asking this whole bucking time for you all to just let me decide on my own who I want to bring to the Gala! It’s my ticket, and my business! I’ve considered taking each and every one of you, but if this thing is going to make you lot act like a bunch of rabid banshees, then fine!”

Sparks flew from Sunset’s horn as it burned brighter, and she channeled the boiling, bubbling pit in her gut into her horn, concentrating all of it on one ticket. She bit her lip, forcing back a leer as smoke began to emanate from it before it burst into flames.

A combination of gasps and shrieks echoed from her friends as Sunset released her grip on the source of her problems, allowing it to drift to the wooden floor, whereupon contact - much like with all embers in Golden Oaks - all heat was siphoned away, leaving behind a smoldering black strip, one that quickly began to crumble under its own weight. For one brief, beautiful moment all the pain in her head vanished, replaced with an unspeakably blissful sensation as she stared down at the puddle of ash before she redirected her gaze to her friends. All of her anger came back, and she pulled the other ticket back to her side, brandishing it at the other four before sending it back up to her nightstand.

I will be going alone! If you all can’t give me a bucking rest over a party, then I can’t trust you to behave yourselves while you’re there!” Reigniting her horn, she channeled her energy on the knob of Golden Oaks’ door, lifting a hoof and pointing to it as the door slammed open, "Now get lost! I’ve had it with you four, and don’t bucking come back tonight!”

For a moment nopony moved. Rainbow, Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy all stared at her with the same horrified expression before slowly blinking, shaking themselves from whatever stupor they were trapped in and one by one filing out of the library, their hoofsteps being the only sound that met Sunset’s ears.

Once the last was gone, Sunset basked in the welcoming silence of Golden Oaks. She brought her ticket closer to her eyes, and let out a snort. ‘I suppose that’s that problem done and dusted, she thought, before traipsing up to her room. She pushed the door open, and her eyes fell on her message book. Or maybe it wasn't.

Sunset sent her ticket to the nightstand, sighed, and picked up her book. She should tell Luna, right? It wouldn’t do much in the way of good if she lied about this, and Luna would find out eventually if Sunset showed up to the Gala alone. Wandering over, she fell onto her bed.

“Hey, Princess,”

It took a moment, perhaps quicker than expected, but sure enough, her mentor’s words appeared on the page.

“I can hear your weary spirit from here Sunset. Is something the matter?”

Sunset took a deep breath and steeled herself. ‘Just rip off the band-aid now, Sunset. Just do it now,

“I’ll be attending the Gala alone,”

The pause between her message and Luna’s next went far, far, far too long. Even from atop a mountain, her mentor’s words on a page, or lack thereof, were its own force of nature.

“What happened?”

“The girls were pestering me about the ticket. It’s been an all-day occurrence,” No reply from Luna, so she continued, “I couldn’t take another minute of it, so I got rid of it,”

“You mean you destroyed it,”

A rush of indignance swelled within Sunset, but it was quickly put down. It… hurt, for Luna to assume she just destroyed things when she got fed up, but regardless of whether it was a justifiable assumption, it was certainly true here. “Yes,” she penned, “I’m sorry, Princess,”

Again, another pause. A sigh, no doubt, before words began to appear again, “I won’t lie, Sunset, I’m disappointed. I do not know exactly what transpired between you and your friends, but if it was enough for you to not select any of them, I’d have hoped you’d return the ticket by post instead of setting it alight..”

“I will print another ticket, but I will hold onto it for the time being. Should you change your mind, and want to bring a friend along to the Gala, prove to me that you and all your friends both won’t let your emotions control your actions.”

Sunset grit her teeth and forced herself to not pen back a retort. Anypony would have flipped if they had the day she had. Taking a deep breath, Sunset resolved instead to pen a “Very well, Princess," before closing her book and lying back in her bed.

All my friends, huh?

"Perhaps the tickets aren’t worth much to you, Darling, but to the rest of us, it’s worth no less than its weight in gold."

Truthfully there was one pony who hadn’t let her emotions control her today. Strange, given any other circumstance but, hey, generosity was her field, wasn’t it?

The Boutique was invisible from her position in Golden Oaks, granted it was invisible from Golden Oaks period, but the direction was easy enough. She let out a hum, trotting over to the sill, and throwing her forehooves onto it.

Rarity should still be awake,’ It was what, six at latest? If anything, she should know that there was only one ticket now…

Might as well do it now,’ She didn’t even bother throwing on her saddlebags before stepping out of Golden Oaks.

***

“Oh, Sunset!”

“Hello, Rarity,"

Sunset forced back a grimace as she was ushered into Carousel for the second time that day. Rarity didn’t deem to notice anything wrong, however, instead busying herself for the second time that day making tea.

“I must be quite popular today if you’ve come to visit me again,"

Sunset guided herself over to a table nearby, busying herself with looking at what mannequins she could see. “I suppose so," she said, the clinking sound of a teacup being set in front of her bringing her back to reality, "Thank you,"

“Of course, Darling! So, what brings you here this time?”

Sunset hummed to herself and took a sip of her tea. There were multiple ways to approach this, but none of them really ended positively, though today that was hardly a novelty. She allowed herself to fully swallow the tea before deciding on an opening, "I… wanted to apologize,"

The smile on Rarity’s face immediately vanished, instead replaced by a frown. She raised an eyebrow and hovered her tea closer to her mouth, "Apologize? For what?”

“The ticket," If anything, Rarity’s confused look only grew, "The second ticket today… I burned it," Sunset quickly took another sip of tea, savoring the scalding sensation in her mouth that carried into her system when she swallowed, "I probably shouldn't have," only after the feeling went away did she allow herself to look at Rarity.

Rarity’s expression was… blank. Her cup was still floating next to her muzzle, and were it not for its slow bobbing she could have passed for a painting. She eventually did take a sip from it, and when she pulled away Sunset was surprised to see she looked more sad than anything else.

“I see,"

A clack sounded from the table as Rarity set her cup back down. She looked up at Sunset and gave her a small smile before leaning back in her chair.

“That’s… unfortunate,"

Sunset didn’t respond immediately, instead waiting for Rarity to continue. A moment passed, then two.

... Is that it?

“... You’re not mad?”

Rarity giggled, her cup floating back up to her mouth, where she busied herself with yet another sip, "Mad? Oh no, of course not, Darling," She said before refilling her cup, "But… well, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit disappointed. After I told you how much it meant to us I'd have hoped you'd treat it with a little more care,"

A humorless snort escaped Sunset’s lips. Well, if anything that just proved that she really was the sensible one today. She glanced down at her teacup and swirled the liquid around, watching the whirlpool form before bringing it to her mouth.

Perhaps I could give her my ticket?’ The thought intruded her mind without any warning, and caused her to freeze, ‘I… don’t really want to part with it though. Maybe,

“I suppose that makes two of us,"

“I assume you at least had a good reason for, er… small scale arson?”

Another humorless snort, ‘I wish,

“It… wasn’t. Not really," She drained her cup and quickly refilled it before continuing, "The girls all followed me around town. They started something in the door to Sugarcube corner, and I just couldn’t take it, so…” Her grip on her cup tightened as she gave Rarity a shrug.

“Here we are,"

Rarity didn’t immediately say anything, her mouth set thin and parted only for her drink. Her gaze was set on Sunset, but whether or not she was actually looking at her was up in the air. The silence between them continued to grow before Rarity finally opened her mouth.

“They started a row," It was a statement, one that garnered a raised eyebrow from Sunset as she set her cup down. Whatever. She could play along.

“Yes,"

“Over your ticket?”

“Correct,"

“And they did this in broad, public daylight, not even considering your feelings in the matter?"

Throughout her whole… impromptu interrogation, Rarity’s voice had begun to rise. It was subtle at first, only firmly planted in the territory of ‘naturally loud’ and had slowly escalated into what Sunset might employ at Pinkie’s party. Her body language was the same, but the change in both volume and tone had started to set Sunset’s fur on edge. ‘Please don’t explode, Rarity,

“I can’t vouch for the last half, but I’ll assume ‘yes’,"

Rarity only hummed, closing her eyes and taking a sip of her tea before she responded proper.

“Would you like me to talk to them, Darling?”

Silence passed between the two before Sunset blinked, her brain processing Rarity’s question. Raising her eyebrows, she busied herself with another sip of tea, "What do you mean ‘talk to them’?"

“I simply mean what I say. I trust you, Darling, and if it is as you say, then I believe I need to have a little chat with them about common civility. One-on-one,"

Oh,

It was tempting, Sunset couldn’t deny it. Odds were by the time Rarity was through with them they’d be too nervous to set hoof inside Golden Oaks for another month. It’d be funny, sure, but such extremes would hardly be necessary. ‘And besides, I’m not a foal. I can handle this myself,

“I appreciate it, Rarity, really,” she said, "But no thanks. I can talk with them myself tomorrow about it,"

Rarity looked apprehensive, but ultimately didn’t press it, instead sighing and setting her cup down, "If you’re sure, Dear…”

“Yes,"

Glancing at the clock, the time was well past six. Probably time to leave. Sunset stood up, placing her now empty cup on the table, and took a couple of steps towards the door. her gaze never left Rarity. She offered a smile.

“It’s getting late, and I’ve got dinner waiting for me," She didn’t, but she’d rather not have to decline Rarity offering for her to stay longer again. ‘Hay, I can’t say I’m up for food period,

“I’ll see you tomorrow, or sometime around,"

“A sentiment I agree with, Darling," Rarity hopped out of her chair and accompanied Sunset to the door. Sunset lit her horn to open it, but Rarity was faster, pulling it open before her aura could even materialize. Rarity gave her a smile and placed a hoof on Sunset’s shoulder, "Do take care, Dear. And if you do need me to have a chat with them, please let me know,"

Sunset closed her eyes, humming for a moment before opening them again and nodding, "Sure,"

I won’t need to,

She bid goodbye to Rarity and stepped out of the door, Rarity’s “Farewell, Darling!” preluding the sound of the door closing. Taking her eyes off Carousel, she set off back to Golden Oaks.

The walk back was quick, the biggest loss in time being the few times she had to step out of the way of a passing couple. Fortunately, however, it was hardly long before Sunset found herself trudging back up the steps and into Golden Oaks.

Sunset groaned aloud to nopony in particular as soon as the door behind her closed. Her day was over. She could say that officially.

And what a bucking day it’s been, she thought to herself as she flipped the latches behind her. She glowered at the door before trotting towards the stairs. The next pony who knocked was getting sent to the hospital.

The door to her room was still open. Perhaps it wasn’t the most profound of observations, but whatever. It saved her the trouble of doing it herself. Stepping in, what jumped out was that the messaging book was glowing blue.

What’s Luna want this time?’ Sunset’s brain jumped to autopilot, trotting over to the bed and hopping up, pulling her book closer along with a nearby ink and quill. Cracking the book open she flipped to the most recent page.

“If that is all then I wish you well, Sunset. Do not let this one instance sour your view on your friends,

"Just her goodbye. Whatever,"

I’ll talk to her in the morning, I guess,

Tucking herself underneath her covers Sunset allowed her head to flop onto the pillow. Her body began to ache, all of her stress eeking out of her body and into the fluffy mattress underneath her.

Please be the last time I have a day like this,’ she thought as she closed her eyes. She sighed, rolling onto her side and burying herself deeper into her bed. It probably wouldn’t be, but hey, she could hope.

***

It was seven when Sunset woke the next morning.

A glance at her clock told her as much, the minute hand hovering somewhere around the ‘2’ when she first laid eyes on it. Yawning, she rolled out of bed, catching herself on all-fours and meandering out of her room.

Okay. Monday,’ She thought as she stumbled down the stairs and into the kitchen. She threw together her breakfast, though she wasn’t paying much attention to what exactly it was, and ate. As she did, her mind drifted to her friends and the events of last evening.

I’ll talk to them today,’ she thought, biting into a tomato. ‘But they’d better bucking apologize,’ How she was going to talk to all of them, though, was a mystery. There wouldn’t be much time after the library closed. Well, there would be, but most ponies were in their homes after work, generally not wanting to be disturbed, and running about all of Ponyville to the Acres and back sounded… rough.

I’ll figure something out, I guess,

Sunset finished the rest of her meal and tossed her plate into the sink. She’d wash it later. Instead, the next fifteen-odd minutes were spent prepping the library for opening: dusting the surfaces, sweeping the floor, etc. At eight o’clock sharp she unlocked the door to Golden Oaks and assumed her position behind the checkout counter.

***

At four-forty-five in the afternoon the door to Golden Oaks opened.

It wasn’t the first time it had opened today, no. Indeed, while Golden Oaks wasn’t particularly bustling on weekdays, save for Friday, in a rural town like Ponyville the most excitement Sunset usually had was when a foal would show up in the library. Not because they were loud, but she didn’t know a single one here that liked reading. Granted, she didn’t know most of the foals period. That said, the door opening at four-forty-five, while not the first time, was certainly the most noteworthy. Sunset was still parked on her stool, sorting through the books when she heard the door open. She glanced up, offering the newcomer a smile.

“Welcome to Golden Oak –”

It wasn’t one newcomer, but four. Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Pinkie all tip-toed into the library. Calling the looks on their face “sheepish” would be generous, but really there wasn’t another description more appropriate.

Oh,

Biting her lip, Sunset inhaled. The arrival of her friends was certainly welcome, and for that, she was grateful, no two ways about it. However…

Don’t yell at them, Sunset. Don’t yell at them,’ Hopping off her stool, Sunset let out her breath. She trotted around the counter and stopped in front of them. They were here now, and that’s what mattered.

“Hello, you four,"

A moment of silence passed between them before Rainbow stepped forwards.

“Uh… Hi, Sunset,"

Rainbow gave Sunset a sheepish smile, lifting a hoof and scratching the back of her neck. Nopony spoke, so she continued, "We just… we wanted to, uh…”

“We wanted to talk," Applejack stepped forward, "Well, apologize, really,"

... Oh,

Sunset blinked, but she could do no further before Pinkie lunged forwards, sprawling herself on the floor in a cacophony of wails.

“We’re sorry, Sunset!” She cried, “We saw the tickets, and we were so excited to go to the Gala and we really, really hoped you’d pick us, and… and…”

“We all talked once you uh… sent us away," Fluttershy mumbled. She gave Sunset a small smile, and surprisingly didn’t flinch back afterward, "We didn’t realize how much we were stressing you out, and… we’re sorry,"

“Yeah. It really wasn’t cool of us,"

For a moment, Sunset didn’t say anything. A warmth blossomed in her chest and spread through her body, relaxing her muscles, and coaxing her a few steps closer to her friends, "I… see,” she finally said, “Well, I’m touched, girls. I appreciate the apology,"

“And, while we’re at it, I’m sorry too," Sunset grit her teeth and glanced down at the floor. It beat looking at them as she did this. She didn’t want to apologize to them. It meant - at least in part - that she was in the wrong. But in truth, something had been weighing on her mind since last night... and it was probably better to get it out in the open. For all of them, really.

“It wasn't fair of me to take your food, Applejack, it wasn't fair to any of you, really," she forced out, "I... understand why you were mad, Rainbow, Fluttershy. I probably would've been too."

"And I shouldn’t have lost it and burned up that ticket,” she continued, “I can ask Luna about it if you'd like," There was a low chance of success, but a miracle might happen.

“Look... don’t worry about it,” Rainbow said. Sunset looked up, and judging by Rainbow’s expression, she was still upset about the second ticket, "It happened. Is what it is, y’know?”

“Sure…”

“Anyways,” Applejack cleared her throat and stepped forwards, “We also wanted to make it up to you,"

Sunset shifted her gaze to Applejack and raised an eyebrow. ‘Make it up to me, huh?

“Yeah?”

Applejack nodded and waved her hoof about the library, "We help you close up and you come along with us. Somewhere out to eat,"

“Please say yes, Sunset! Pretty please?”

Closing her eyes Sunset lifted a hoof to her mouth and let out a small hum. It was a nice gesture, certainly, and hay, it would certainly spice up her night. ‘I suppose,’ she thought, ‘And besides. I… really don’t want to stay mad at them,’ Opening her eyes again, she smiled, and nodded. A deal, save for one small thing.

“Sure, but somepony go get Rarity,” she said, “It wouldn’t be fair to her,"

Pinkie’s hoof shot into the air as Rainbow, Applejack, and Fluttershy all let out whoops of varying intensity, "I’ll do it!” she cried, and before Sunset or anypony else could say anything, shot out of the library.

“I suppose that’s that then," Applejack said. She gave Sunset a smile and trotted to the checkout counter, "We’d also like to help here. Where do you need us, Sugarcube?”

“If you could sort, that’d be great,” Sunset trotted back behind the counter and hopped onto the stool before pointing to Rainbow and Fluttershy, “You two as well. We can all put the books back after,"

Rainbow gave a mock salute and she and Fluttershy joined Sunset and Applejack at the counter. A conversation began to strike up as everypony grabbed a stack of books, and for what it was worth Sunset was engaged in it. It was about ten or fifteen minutes later that Pinkie came back, beaming, with Rarity in tow. Sunset lifted a hoof and waved, which Rarity returned. She and Pinkie both came up to the counter and grabbed their own piles.

“Well, it looks like everything’s smoothed over nicely,"

Sunset nodded, "Looks like it,"

Seeing Rarity now, her mind inexorably drifted back to the previous evening. Perhaps it was the lack of stress, or she woke up feeling generous, but now that Rarity was here… the only ticket left was upstairs.

And honestly? If anypony deserves it, it’s her,

She’d have to ask Rarity about it later.

Author's Note:

Howdy, howdy! Thank ya much for reading this far! It's certainly been a while on this one, this chapter's actually been sitting completed for over a year in my google docs. It was finished, but I wasn't really happy with it. I finally mustered up the wherewithal to edit this one, and man I cut out a lot. I'm unsure if it's where I want it to be, but I'm pleased enough with it. I'd say it certainly taught me a lot about writing, at least in strictly a "word" sense, and I want to put it to the test with the next chapter. I think there's still a lot of chaff here - unnecessary words. I want to work on taking those out. I've also been working on another story, which I find really helps writing not get stale. I'll probably upload it here, I have every intention to, but I'm not sure when. That said, as always please leave your critiques! Always happy to hear what folks think of my writing!

Comments ( 6 )

I like how in the feature box this is called My Faithful Stud...

Well, this is actually kinda nice. While I'm very much a fan of long chapters, sometimes they do seem to drag on a bit too much with not much happening. The 20k+ words per chapter is a supreme discipline in regard to pacing, so I don't begrudge you too much. I've struggled with it quite a lot, myself. You are doing a fantastic job with the characters, though. I like Sunset's grouchy attitude and Rarity's maturity. I dare say I would even ship them together if it were up to me. :trollestia:

I'll keep an eye on this and see where this goes. Now... I wonder, how would they react to finding out that Sunset dabbles in dark magic..? :trixieshiftright:

I’d almost forgotten this fic was around. Seeing the update was very exciting!

Admittedly I’d hoped this would turn out a bit differently than it did. Maybe something can occur where they each earn a ticket through Luna keeping careful tabs on each of them. That could be an intriguing concept. Still, the kind of lesson Twilight learned is something I hope Sunset comes to figure out over the course of the coming chapters.

Yeah, I'd say Rarity did deserve the second ticket Luna made, maybe the others will earn something later but Rarity really earned it here

11528582
I really shouldn't have, but when I got through with typing up this chapter, I didn't want to look at it for a while. A lot of it I felt dissatisfied and tired with. A while got longer and longer and, well, a year passed before I actually forced myself to look at it and give it the once over. I'm glad I did, because I'd forgotten how much fun the creative process was. I'm hacking away at the next chapter, and I'm liking how it's shaping up. I've also been giving thoughts to the chapters that star different characters (namely those that aren't the protagonists). The decision I've come to might not be one everyone likes, but I accept this project as my training ground to try various things and learn.

11528124

Pacing a 20k-plus chapter is hard, but I will say it gets easier when you follow an outline (the episode proper) for tempo. Whether I've done a good job at it is up for debate. I think I have, but the arts are subjective. In regards to Rarity's maturity, that was a decision born of my dissatisfaction with the idea that all five of Twilight's friends got so single-minded over those tickets. It was a perfect opportunity to highlight that the Elements were aspects of them as much as they were a tangible force. Giving Rarity a moment to willingly put Sunset's feelings in front of her desires - outside of being the right thing to do - I felt was a good way to show that she's Generosity's medium for a reason. Not just because she lopped off her tail once.

11558419
As long as you're aware of this little...issue, that's enough for me. :raritystarry:

Login or register to comment