• Published 31st Jul 2021
  • 1,636 Views, 35 Comments

A Change for the Princess - Apple Bottoms



Princess Twilight is at her lowest; after hundreds of years without her friends, how can Twilight leave her comfortable library? An unlikely foe from her past offers hope for change, and a chance at a better future.

  • ...
2
 35
 1,636

Chapter 6 - Epilogue

“... and that was how the Yaks usurped the cruel Actolom regime. It was really a matter of reflecting their powerful magic back at them, through a series of glyphs hung between the horns of their herd, and when used in perfect unison -”

“Princess?”

Princess Twilight Sparkle looked up suddenly from where she’d been walking in the garden, a book held aloft with her magic. “Yes? Oh - Appledust! It’s good to see you, how was your vacation back to Sweet Apple Acres?”

Appledust’s worried expression melted into a smile. “It was lovely, thank you Pr-”

Princess Twilight Sparkle lifted her brows meaningfully.

“-Twilight.” Appledust shook out her mane a little shyly. “I thought I heard you talking to someone out here, but - I must have been confused.”

“After a few centuries, you lose track of when you’re reading silently or aloud. I’m sure I was boring the roses to tears.” Twilight Sparkle chuckled, and Appledust shared her laugh. “Is there something you wanted to ask me?”

“Oh, pony apples! I mean - yes, Your - Twilight. Lunch will be ready in a few minutes, I was sent to tell you.”

“Well, thank you very much, Appledust. If it’s possible, might I take my lunch in the garden today? The weather is quite close to perfection, I think.” Twilight Sparkle gazed up at the sky, as clear and cloudless as if Rainbow Dash had cleared it herself. “I dare say the weather team has been doing a fabulous job.”

“I think that sounds like a lovely idea, Twilight. We’re due for a storm tonight, actually.”

“A storm! That sounds positively delicious, I haven’t felt one of those in ages.” Twilight Sparkle turned her smile back towards Appledust, and offered her a regal nod. “Thank you for the tip.”

“Ah - of course, Twilight. I’m happy to be of service.” Her smile was so familiar now, and at first Twilight had only seen Applejack there; now, it was hard to see anyone but Appledust. “I’ll let the kitchen know right away.”

“Wonderful. Oh, and Appledust?” Twilight Sparkle called, halting the young Apple mare. “How would you feel about taking lunch with me today?”

“I’d love that!” Appledust grinned, and offered the princess a quick curtsy before she galloped away.

“She’s really going to have to stop doing that,” grumbled the rose bush, “it’s getting annoying.”

“Hush, you.” Twilight Sparkle grinned, and waited until Queen Chrysalis removed her rose-patterned disguise. “She has to meet you sometime.”

“No one asked me.” Chrysalis grumbled, and pretended not to notice when Twilight Sparkle gave her a comforting wing-bump.

“That’s how making friends works. It rarely happens when you’re prepared. Appledust is a bright mare; I think she’ll take to you well.” Twilight Sparkle soothed Chrysalis gently, and despite everything, she found herself surprised when Chrysalis relaxed in response. She wasn’t certain she would ever get used to that, no matter how many centuries she and Chrysalis were friends.

“Yeah, well, why don’t you get back to the Octorok -”

“Actolom.”

“- Action Man Empire, this mushy stuff is giving me hives.”

Twilight Sparkle laughed, and resumed as before, walking in slow, steady circles around her garden as she read aloud. She only got a page further before Chrysalis stopped at her side.

“How are you going to do it, Twilight?” Chrysalis’ voice was small. “She’ll just die on you again, like the others. They all will.”

Twilight Sparkle paused, slowly closed her book, and let her eyes wander over the garden. “I know.” Twilight Sparkle said, finally. “I know she will pass on. So will many other friends I make. But … friendship goes on, even if life doesn’t. Pinkie Pie isn’t here, but she lives in my memory. She lives in the jokes I share with Appledust, with you. I can still hear her giggling as if it was yesterday. One day, someone else will pass those jokes to another pony. One day, all of this will pass away, and we will all be nothing but a speck of stardust, twinkling in the night sky; but I will have existed, and I will have loved my friends. And I don’t think that ever goes away, not really. It just took me a little while to realize that.”

Twilight Sparkle was looking up at the sky now, cloudless and blue; Chrysalis followed her gaze, searching. “I think the love we share goes on and on, out into places we’ll never see. It never ends. So even if I won’t ever see my friends in this life - I know we’ll find each other again, some way or another. Because in the greater scheme of things, we’re really only apart for a little while.” Twilight Sparkle breathed out a deep sigh. “I can hold on for a little while longer, until I see them again. I think Celestia knew I would figure it out; it just took me a little longer to learn her lesson this time.”

Silence stretched between them, but comfortably this time. “And I have you, until then. That’s a comfort I never thought I’d have.” Twilight Sparkle’s gaze was gentle where it rested on Chrysalis.

“Yeah, I guess you’re pretty lucky to have me, Space Cadet Twi. Now can we get back to the Autobot Empire?” Chrysalis cackled, but Twilight Sparkle noted the way she rubbed at her eyes.

“We could, Chrysalis, but I thought I’d tell you a much better story instead.” Twilight Sparkle’s grin was wide. “Have you ever heard of the tale of Madame Le Flour?”

[THE END]

Comments ( 21 )

🎼 Few things last, that's all I know, but friendship carries on through the ages ... ☯

Reading this story, I involuntarily remembered the quote of Doctor Who: "You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I cannot spend the rest of my life with you. I will continue to live. One. Such is the curse of the life of the Time Lords."

Becoming an alicorn does have its risk, you obtaining immortality and never age with you watching everyone before you age and die. Then only company you have are other immortal but they disappear too leaving you alone. What you willing to get those back

This is one of the best mixes of sweet and bittersweet I've ever run into. Absolutely wonderful work, the feels were very, very real.

That was well made. I liked the metaphysical philosophy you used here.

I see Chryssie still prefers to limit the number of annoying ponies to minimum. Probably for the best of she wants to remain sane.

Aww and d'awwww.

I really need to stop reading stories that handle the future and age. It fills me with a sadness that persists for the rest of the day. Regardless, Well done with this.

Right in my feels. A lovely story, wonderfully-written and now I'm crying for the rest of the day.
Thank you for giving us this beautiful piece.

This was a good story. Thank you for it.

Now I interrupt this fan fiction to bring you a special message from the Princess of Friendship's voice actress herself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzqmvInMsVU

10923037

Wow, the crayonlings are even bigger pussies in the future. I didn't think it was possible.

Evolution is a bitch, isn't it? They haven't needed to be predators for centuries, so their bodies had no reason to continue expending resources necessary for producing certain predatory physical traits.

Before I read this, I must know: What happened to Tirek and Cozy Glow?

You know what you need Twilight? You need to make a Space Program. I mean it. Colonize the moon, go crazy from there. Meet the Moon Beasts!

pbs.twimg.com/media/E76O9IPXIAA8ENQ?format=jpg&name=large

10922578
reminds me of this passage from the last unicorn that truly highlights the pains of immortality.

“...She would feel herself bending under the heaviness of knowing their names. Then she would run until morning to ease the ache. Swifter than rain, swift as loss, racing to catch up with the time when she had known nothing at all but the sweetness of being herself.

“Often then, between the rush of one breath and the reach of another, it came to her that Shmendrick and Molly were long dead and king Haggard as well, and the red bull finally met and mastered.

“So long ago that the grandchildren of the stars that had seen it all happen were withering now, turning to coal; and that she was the only unicorn left in the world.”

When you are immortal you are separate from time. Meaning that you don't experience memories the way mortals do. you are not bound to a linear track and can at one moment be having icecream with a best friend and the very next moment be talking to their great great grandmother as a child.

Great story!

10927574
10922738
10922848
10922912
10922940
10923066
10923998
10924090
10922517
10925888
10922315
10922578
10923066

Thank you all very much for your kind words, and for taking the time to read my story! I know it's not a short one, so the fact that you all made the effort means a lot to me! :heart:

10922552
Twilight never confirmed that he was smashed; and I think we can comfortably call Chrysalis an unreliable narrator at the best of times, right? :raritywink: I think there's another story in there! Same to

10925840
This story won't really address their fate; I think that's another story! Chrysalis has her own ideas on what happened in those intervening years, but she can't know for certain!

10925653
I personally think Hot Yoga is way more brutal than most things, LOL! I couldn't do it!

10923992
Writing this story was kind of cathartic for me; the concept of 'it'll be okay, because we'll all find each other again eventually' makes me happy. With the ending we got in Season 9 with the unintentional 'btw everyone is aging around Twilight Sparkle', I wanted to take what could have been a really depressing ending ('Twilight Sparkle eventually ends up alone') and rewrite it to be a little more hopeful! Twilight Sparkle might lose her friends, but she'll make new ones, and she'll be okay, and even happy again. That's important!

10926889
This is a beautiful quote; I love that book! The movie was a hugely formative part of my childhood.

Yeah. I liked this. I don't usually like end time Twilight minus her original posse, but you handled this very well. Have a like and a favorite. Not to mention my favorite bug Queen unstoned and seeking the company of the last? immortal. Good stuff.

Good stuff, but man it got really dark with chrysalis starving as a rock.

And what about spike waking up?

Over all 8.5/10.

You can never go back, that is true. Good story :)

I adore this story. Equestria has a limited number of immortals- eight, at the end of the show- and I've always found it plausible that Twilight would eventually free Chrysalis because she need all the lasting relationships she can get. This isn't quite that, since she frees her for an unsuccessful time travel spell, but the outcome is the same, and it's very sweet <3

Login or register to comment