• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 8,484 Views, 2,522 Comments

Hazy Days and Magical Ways - Dogger807



The Crusaders have finished their first semester at Hogwarts with the second about to start. The Weasley twins may be taking bets on how many professors take up heavy drinking by the end of the year.

  • ...
32
 2,522
 8,484

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Timed Transition Trending

Anyone familiar with Diagon Alley would be forced to admit that it had gone through some drastic changes of late. The foot traffic was just a little denser, despite having its portal, the seedy pub Leaky Cauldron, still being obscured from the average muggle. However, those muggles with magical children under the age limit for Hogwarts were bolstering the numbers. Likewise, many of the former tellers and hawkers were now making an appearance as customers with galleons or pounds in their pockets. Their integration into muggle society was seeing them dressing more like their counterparts, and thus, there were fewer robes and more jeans to behold.

The assimilation also saw more and more muggle things being sold where there once had only been magical wonders. There was even a shop dedicated to tellys and other electronics that were compatible with a magical environment. That particular business was, in turn, providing significant owl orders to the one known pony establishment capable of providing the necessary parts for the adapter. The otherworldly supplier was a rather unusual venture that also offered tasty cakes and pastries and, surprisingly, some more adult oriented products. How they had worked that out for a business model was anyone’s guess.

In the alley, the shops themselves were being manned by those of a lesser magical ability, providing jobs for those who had once been unemployable. In fact, a good number of former werewolves made up the bulk of the retail workers. They possessed the strength of magic while lacking the education to be snatched up by the growing muggle magical industry. Ironically, someone had the insight to found a night school; so, that situation would not be lasting long.

Luckily, the population of ex-werewolves had grown exponentially when the ponies who had been providing the cure had discovered that with a greenhouse, they needn’t wait until the spring to obtain the necessary ingredients. Upon learning this, it hadn’t taken the Ministry a day to start rounding up known and previously unknown lycanthropes and administering the potion, whether the recipient wanted it or not. Though, admittedly, there were only a few of the latter. This practice was already being copied by the French and American Ministries, a practice that was only likely to grow as the supply increased.

The most drastic change was arguably a booth that sprouted up on the main fair close to Gringotts. It was manned, or ponied as the case may be, by a group of individuals who were strange, even by pony standards. They were all of darker colors, wore dark tinted goggles and had bat-like wings. And their teeth – let us not forget their sharp, pointy teeth.

That booth had a peculiar sign designating its purpose. It read, “FREE! – Find Your Pony Form – FREE!” above silhouettes depicting an earth pony, a pegasus, and a unicorn. The disclaimer was in smaller print above a more sinister silhouette: “Warning: Spousal approval is required for all married participants prior to testing. All thestrals are required to participate immediately in the repopulation program in Equestria. See waiver for details.”

The booth also had a smaller sign that read, “Wanted: Changeling to optimize herd composition.”

It may not have been perfect, but it was a step in the right direction.

On a side note, not one merchant in the alley could keep mangoes in stock for more than a few minutes. The same was true for the mysterious new product “love honey” that someone was supplying.


The last few months had been hard on Alice Longbottom. During the long years that she had been trapped in the purgatory of dark magic, all she had known was endless torment. Once she’d regained control of mind and body, she realized the world had changed in ways that made her a stranger in her homeland. It didn’t take a seer to predict that she would need time to recover.

Her sanctuary was supposed to be Longbottom Manor, her rightful home. That placed her in the care of her mother-in-law and the family elves – elves loyal to the senior Longbottom. That had been neither an advantageous nor an alluring arrangement. The resentment that the older woman felt over it being Alice, and not her son, who had recovered was plainly and profoundly palpable. While wordless, the accusation weighed wearily and wantonly with each passing second.

Relief came from some of her old comrades from the Order. Sirius and Remus had suggested that she come live in their tightly topped-off townhouse. It had turned out that there had been a room set aside for each of Sirius’ wives, but Rainbow offered up hers, since she never used it. The multicolored-haired woman apparently still kept an alluring aerial abode of her own, somewhere she sulked off to whenever Andi reminded her that she couldn’t be too active, lest she risk the life growing in her. And practicing structurally stress-sustaining stunts was to be strictly stopped straight away.

Sirius’ other wife, Twilight, though pregnant, was never idle. She was always studying something savory, relishing riveting research, or documenting definitive details. Ostensibly, the one thing she hadn’t been doing was what turned out to be her main job; acting as her town’s librarian. As outrageous as it may sound, she had delegated those delicate duties to her owl. Alice had always known that owls were intelligent animals, but that went beyond the pale.

Then there was Sirius’ third and final wife, Pinkie. She was . . . The pink haired woman was . . . Pinkie was. There was the phrase “Pinkie being Pinkie” that did not get nearly as much usage as it deserved. That said, the pony baked a mean cupcake. The first time Alice had made that particular comment, everyone had stopped what they were doing to examine every pastry in the room. Rainbow had even gone so far as to poke each with a fork – talk about worryingly weird and wasteful behavior.

One of the rooms was occupied by the senior Tonkses. Though that couple spent a good amount of time pursuing their contentedly chosen careers, they were around often enough to enjoy the eternally effervescent environs of the home. In truth, they were the most steadfastly stabilizing standards for the state of affairs.

Another room, the one that had been set aside for Pinkie, was theoretically timidly taken by the pink pony’s perpetually perplexed twin, Marble. Practice did not conform to theory since that young woman had never in her life slept in a room by herself. Instead, the shy yet sly sulker had shimmied her way into the beds of either Remus or Sirius; intent on joining with her sisters in the pony piles there. Alice was just waiting for her name to eventually be displayed on the family tapestry in one of two places.

Also in the home were Remus and his herd. Alice was still coming to terms with that novel concept. The fervently first female of that faction was none other than Narcissa, a woman that Alice had been well acquainted with when they had both attended Hogwarts. Known more frequently as Nissy, Alice had observed her mood run through irritated, before spending time on bemused, then skirting briefly on accepting, before finally landing on affectionate, when it came to the other women in her herd. She had even commented that regularly relating with her herd sisters was a different barrel of apples than when she was continually and contemptuously contending with Lucius’ many maligned mistresses.

The next weird woman to be weighed happened to be Maud, Pinkie’s elder sister. That mare was in the middle of acquiring her post doctorate degree and would disappear into an owl’s pouch for days. However, the time Alice spent with her was hard to explain, let alone contemplate. It was as if the woman were in a perpetual state of having her occlumency turned on full blast. And then there was her pet, a rock of all things, named Boulder. Alice could have sworn that the blimey bitty blighter had eaten her sandwich when she wasn’t looking. She would have considered the notion absurd if not for the fact that she had learned that the Aurors had a standing warrant for some talking rocks they wanted for questioning. To make matters marginally worse, more than once she had caught the supposedly inert and inanimate item napping negligently in her knicker drawer.

Then there were Grace and her son Hector. Every weekday morning, they would floo to their otherwise absentmindedly abandoned apartment so that she could go to work and the lad could participate at his previous primary school. Alice had at first thought that they were natural born ponies, owing to the amount of time the boy liked to spend as a colt. But it turned out that they were muggleborn, a fact highlighted by Grace joining several other adults for nighttime lessons provided by Nissy, while Hector was to attend Hogwarts the next year.

And finally, there was Bellatrix, the resident that Sirius and Remus conveniently forgot to mention when they made their offer. That one was almost a deal breaker, living in the same house as the one who put her in St. Mungo’s in the first place! In the end, it was only the knowledge that there had been a bridecage involved that convinced Alice to take the chance. It was telling that she had found that preferable to spending more time alone with Augusta.

This turned out to be relatively painless. Having lived with the reality of family members being imperioused to murder their own kin, Alice hadn’t found it difficult to redirect her righteous fury to the former Lestrange brothers currently residing in Azkaban. Consequently, Bella had acted as if their prior history had never happened. She never apologized for her actions, and she never brought them up. Instead, she treated Alice as a long-lost sister, whom she was determined to help recuperate. It was the formerly deranged woman who had taken the most time to see to Alice’s needs and make sure she felt comfortable and welcome, truly a bizarre turn of events.

As for Alice herself, she spent the majority of her time grieving for her husband. After being barred from spending every spare minute at the hospital, she began the slow yet steady progression toward health and normalcy. It had been a stressful experience these last few months.


The staff was becoming increasingly apprehensive. A frame of mind, that belied the way the last few months had gone. Everything was going as smoothly as could be hoped. Classes were progressing as anticipated, with the new muggleborns taking to magic with abandon. It was appearing as if it would be feasible to distribute them among the years and houses come next term, though those who had missed the first two to four years of magical schooling would still require tutoring.

Things were quiet; the Gryffindors hadn’t been caught summoning another extradimensional dragon.

They were even getting used to the actuality of the Gryffindor common room being a literal as well as figurative zoo. There had been a bit of a commotion when the lama started talking, but that turned out to be the doing of an older student. Filius had given the lad a good heaping of house points for that bit of charm work, even though the only thing the lama managed to say was “Get the snack! Get the snack!”

Things were quiet; the Gryffindors hadn’t been caught raising the dead again.

The largest handicap was proving to be the theoretical aspects of the curriculum. With the induction of pony knowledge, many of the facts previously taught were now suspect and “that’s impossible” had to be removed from the introduction of several magical laws. That is, when the laws weren’t just chucked out wholesale.

However, things were quiet; the Gryffindors hadn’t been caught sneaking off the grounds, despite there being no shortage of pizza in the Gryffindor common room.

With the additional professors aided in turn by Professor Snape’s septet of apprentices, the student body was getting a lot of individualized instruction. Not surprisingly, this also extended towards several of the seventh-year boys, resulting in two more formalized herds, an occurrence that may have been due to the fact that said instruction was practical, rather than theoretical, in nature.

Strangely though, things were quiet; the Gryffindors hadn’t been caught manufacturing explosives.

After much convincing, Albus had finally relented; they would no longer be keeping the most expensive tree sap he could acquire in the hallways, thereby relieving an unnecessary expense from the budget. Consequently, the barrels were replaced with a more economical variety because they were having to be replaced once or twice a week.

Despite the occasional mess, things were quiet; the Gryffindors weren’t caught picking fights with werewolves.

Yes, things were too quiet, and every member of the staff knew it.


The upper-year students of Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns were confused. This had little to do with the influx of new ideas and theories concerning the very nature of magic itself. Okay, to be fair, they were confused on top of the bewilderment caused by the rapidly changing curriculum. This particular distraction was stemming from the odd circumstance caused by a few of their number. Frankly, it was the fault of one herd – the foreigners.

It had been bad enough when everypony could easily tell that one of the mares had been blocking her herd sister from time with their stallion. That infuriating situation had more than one mare contemplating isolating the offending party for a talking to, if not a good bucking. The outrage had even been brought to the attention of the princesses, and only reassurances that the subject was to be addressed had stayed the student mares’ hooves and horns.

Then the unexpected happened. It had been considered an impossibility, yet it happened anyway. They had brought a griffin into their herd. That was something that merited repeating. They had brought a griffin into their herd. They had managed to convince a Celestia-blessed, we don’t join herds, griffin to be part of their bucking herd!

More than one mare had needed a drink after hearing about that. A griffin . . . in a herd! And the cock appeared to be enjoying the experience. It wasn’t like he was the least bit upset by the sharing!

The mares and stallions of the school had needed some time to internalize that development.

Truthfully, they were unsure how to approach the group.

Technically, with two males and two females, that herd should be looking to add a couple more mares, something the herd did not seem to be attempting.

But what if forcing in more mares made the griffin decide to leave?

What were they to think of the predicament?

What were they supposed to do about it?

It was a bucking headache!

Really . . . a griffin joining a herd!

How could they get in on the action?


Severus Snape was having woman problems. To be more accurate, he was having women problems, which, honestly, was neither fair nor foreseeable. He had never been what others would refer to as a lady’s man. If he were being honest, he’d admit to once believing that he was to spend the remainder of his life alone. Having problems along those lines had never crossed his mind, especially now that he was married. Shouldn’t that shield him from having women problems outside those from his spouses?

But the fact of the matter was he was married to a pair of ponies. Zebras counted as ponies, didn’t they? Anyway, ponies had some peculiar notions. One such notion was they seemed to like sharing. That apparently included their husband.

How it had escalated was rather unpredictable, to say the least. Severus had assumed that the matter of the thestrals had been laid to rest after Extra Security almost was. He had not been privy to the conversation, but he couldn’t say he had been very surprised when he had been told that Applejack had put the annoying mare through a stone wall. This event eradicated any doubts he may still have been harboring over Apple Bloom being capable of doing the same. Granted, the younger sister was not nearly as powerful as the elder, but the bat pony had found her impromptu flight halted by the second wall on the other side of the courtyard. The second wall had needed repair, as well.

Luckily, or not, as the case may be, Extra had been in her pony form at the time. This had resulted in Pomfrey requesting he brew another batch of skelegrow as the unlucky mare spent the night in the infirmary.

The surprise had come after his two wives had decided to visit the invalid while she was laid up, yet another conversation to which Severus had not been privy. Having the thestral joining himself and his wives for tea the next evening in their private chambers was not an outcome on which he would have placed any galleons; yet, it was becoming a regular occurrence. The annoying mare had apparently earned the forgiveness of the other two. It didn’t help any that he was finding her steadily less annoying every day. Still, he swore he’d exclude himself from any betting pools with Sybil.

Severus was sure he could have handled that situation if it were isolated. However, his childhood tormentors had gleefully thrown more fuel on the fire, in the form of yet another mare. They had claimed that they expected him to get along swimmingly with the new individual . . .

. . . a most infuriating inconsiderate individual . . .

. . . whose every other sentence was some form of confrontation.

She acted as if it were her mission in life to hate everyone and everything.

When he had said as much to Minerva, the woman had asked him if Limestone reminded him of somebody.

That was pure nonsense; Limestone’s insults were plebian at best. She had no finesse.

Well, she didn’t when he had first met her.

After a couple of evenings, where the other three women had watched the back and forth with smirks on their faces, Limestone had proven that she could learn. She had proven that subtle insults were not beyond her ability to grasp.

Limestone had been joining himself and the others for their evening tea in their chambers.

Severus had asked his wives if they were expecting him to invite the other two women to their bed.

The answer had unnerved him.

He really did need to think of a way to pay back the mutt and the werewolf.


Lyra was having the time of her life. Strike that; Lyra and Bon Bon were having the time of their lives. Literally every country on the human’s home world wanted to host the pony ambassador and establish a relationship. At first, Lyra had been planning on making the tour alone, but Bon Bon adamantly quashed that idea, not wanting to be separated for so long. So, the flower trio had agreed to set up a semi-permanent display inside Bon Bon’s shop as they ponied the store for her. The townsponies had readily taken to the notion that the establishment had become a one stop shop for all of their snacking needs.

Luckily, all of the humans were only too happy to provide a kitchen for Bon Bon to work her magic while Lyra went about the business of being an emissary. That and Hedwig’s pouch ensured that there would be no shortage of stock back home, even when some of that stock was shanghaied to meet Lyra’s diplomatic demands.

Meanwhile, Lyra was being paraded around and pampered by the humans, she and her two assistants, that is. Celestia had provided a pair of ponies to accompany the mint mare and offer advice where needed. Fine Print and Composed Dream were both proving to be invaluable aides. That is, when Composed Dream wasn’t indulging in her newly acquired vice of belly rubs. The mare had found that there was no shortage of volunteers willing to help her indulge in that particular pastime.

It was not all fun and games. After all, there were serious talks to be had. For instance, the subject of trade had come up more often than not, something that was not feasible at the current time. Even if they somehow managed to impound the entirety of the owl population, the capacity would be only a mere trickle of the demand.

Still, they were making new friends, and the exchange of knowledge was nothing to sneeze at.

Yes, Lyra and Bon Bon were having the time of their lives. The only thing that would have made it better were if their new foal, Harry Potter had been able to accompany them.


Time had seemed to stand still. He was not certain how much had slipped away as he languished in his newest prison, a prison that was worse than the last one, much worse.

Previously, he had been weighted down by what had turned out to be a blanket. Devoid of anything to see with his mobility severely limited. This time, he could not move a limb. Something was binding his arms, legs, and neck, some thin material he couldn’t even move his head enough to see. Whatever it was, its grip was unyielding and he had long since stopped trying to struggle, if only to conserve what little energy he had remaining.

It was almost a curse that he was aware of his surroundings. At regular intervals, he could see the wooden plank in front of him just out of reach. There was a gap somewhere that was letting in the light, allowing him to observe his confinement, out of reach and just beyond a clear material he could just barely tap with his forehead.

What was with these people and the way they treated their dolls?


It might not have been an illustrious occasion, but the three alicorns of the land had gathered to share the duty. Reparations had been made, and the time had come to release the prisoner.

The three mares stood outside the building with their gazes set firmly on the entrance. Next to the pink one stood her stallion, wearing a look that was grimmer than that of the mares. Almost as an afterthought, a maid swaggered up and stood next to Celestia. The Princess of the Day looked down and gave the newcomer a nod which the semblant servant returned. That exchange drew questioning glances from everypony else present.

The responsibility of leadership had weighed heavily on Cadance. She had sentenced the changeling queen, Chrysalis, to isolation, unwittingly supplanting the changeling for the duration. It had not been easy, but she had matured in ways she would never have imagined. She had applied the lessons learned to her governance of the Crystal Empire and, in turn, had used the insights from the crystal ponies to improve her leadership of the hive. She had prepared for the moment to come more times than she cared to remember. Her speech was sure to be one remembered for generations.

Whatever was happening between the monarch and the maid would have to wait, as the doors opened and a figure exited, flanked by a pair of guards.

“Ah,” Chrysalis said, stretching her wings to their fullest. “Daylight.”

“You were hardly deprived such inside,” Celestia said in response.

“It’s the principle that matters,” Chrysalis countered. “I am sure your sister would agree.”

“Art we to trade barbs thusly?” Luna asked through gritted teeth.

“No, no.” Chrysalis shook her head with a smirk. “I was just making a point.”

“You can take your point and leave,” the maid standing next to Celestia snapped. “I want to see how fast you can flee.”

“Ah.” Chrysalis turned her attention to the strange addition. “I see.” Her tone took on a menace that was palpable. “May I suggest you keep such threats to yourself? You are much too young to be yapping thusly.”

“You are in the middle of my territory.” The maid’s voice was no less threatening.

The former prisoner took several steps forward, looming over the small maid.

“Chrysalis,” Cadance said worriedly.

“I’ll be with you in a minute, dear,” Chrysalis said glaring down at the maid as she gave the alicorn a wave with her hoof. “Diplomacy first and all that.”

“Are you going to try begging for your life?” the maid asked, not backing down.

“Yip yip yip.” Chrysalis mocked. “Has your mother taught you nothing?”

“After what you attempted . . .”

“Stop right there.” Chrysalis held her forehoof up toward the maid in a halting motion. “We both know that if you were in my former position, you would have done something similar.”

The maid stood on her hind legs and kicked her forehooves out threateningly. “If you think . . .”

“Ah!” Chrysalis presented her hoof again, cutting off the other mare. She turned to address Celestia. “Children . . . am I right?”

“Am I going to need to mediate?” Celestia asked with a small smile of her own.

“No. She is merely inexperienced, not stupid.” Chrysalis turned her attention back to the ground under the maid. “And she has had a bad scare.”

“You!” the maid started as she shifted to drier ground.

Again, Chrysalis cut her off. “Let us try doing this the pony way.” She brought her hoof down to the pavement and tapped it twice. From the shadows, two burly stallions appeared, carrying a barrel between them. They brought the container forward and deposited it in front of the maid.

“What is this?” the maid eyed the barrel suspiciously, nose twitching.

“You could open it and find out,” Chrysalis said smugly.

The maid did so and found the barrel was filled to the brim with love honey. She turned her hard look back on Chrysalis. “What is this? Are you trying to buy safe passage?”

“It’s a gift,” Chrysalis said. “Granted, I originally intended on presenting it to Sunbutt here, but I think she will agree that you are the better recipient. It represents the futility of any further hostilities between our two hives. Actions along those lines would only be detrimental for everyling involved. I will even be kind enough to give you a pass on the threats you were just making.”

The maid glared at the elder changeling but said nothing.

“Well done,” Luna said with a nod of approval. “Would seem thy imprisonment hast granted thee wisdom.”

“I am glad you found a peaceful solution,” Cadance said.

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes as she turned towards the pink alicorn. “And you,” she growled before trotting over and bopping Cadance on the nose. “You never bothered to visit me. Not even once.”

Cadance sat back on her haunches and covered her assaulted asset with her hooves. “Ah what?”

“Don’t you ‘what’ me,” Chrysalis snapped. “I took the time to see to you personally. And you. Not once.”

“I . . . I was busy with the Crystal Empire.” Cadance protested.

“Excuses, excuses. How many times did you visit me prior to going there?” Chrysalis demanded. “Let me tell you. Not once.”

“I. . . I . . .” Cadance sputtered, still holding her nose.

“Leave her alone.” Shining Armor spoke up, bringing everypony’s attention onto himself.

“Shiny!” Chrysalis chirped as she abandoned her position in front of Cadance in favor of caressing her rump against the surprised stallion’s side. “I’m mad at you too. You didn’t visit either. Is that any way to treat a lover?”

“I. . . I . . .” said Shining Armor.

“Well,” Chrysalis huffed. “I guess I am going to have to forgive the both of you… eventually.”

“I. . . I . . .” Cadance and Shiny declared in unison.

“You were in prison,” Cadance finally had the wits to proclaim.

Chrysalis huffed again. “Puuuulleazzzz. Like I don’t know that you managed to leave my care by riding an owl. You did absolutely nothing to prevent me from doing the same. I could have left anytime I wanted. What was preventing you from visiting in the same manner?”

Celestia and Luna managed synchronized face hooves at that declaration.

“Ah . . . Ahh . . .” said Cadance and Shiny.

“You two need to think about what you did,” Chrysalis said holding up a hoof which an owl flew out of nowhere and landed on. “In the meantime, I am past due on inspecting my hive.” With those words she disappeared into the owl’s pouch, quickly followed by the two stallions who had brought the barrel. Almost as swiftly, the bird left for parts unknown.

“Just once.” Cadance absently rubbed her nose. “I wish a conversation with her would go somewhat as I had planned.”

Celestia smiled knowingly at her niece before turning her attention toward the maid still staring at the barrel. “I do hope you are planning on sharing that.”

PreviousChapters Next