• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 8,477 Views, 2,521 Comments

Hazy Days and Magical Ways - Dogger807



The Crusaders have finished their first semester at Hogwarts with the second about to start. The Weasley twins may be taking bets on how many professors take up heavy drinking by the end of the year.

  • ...
32
 2,521
 8,477

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4: Clinics Changes and Cupcakes

The world could not be perceived in terms of black and white. Instead, everything was in shades of pink. It was everywhere! It was worse than being snow-blind. There may have been a little debate as to whether pink was the word of the day. It was definitely the color, though.

The room's only occupant blended in perfectly. His smoldering ire would have manifested as an evil black aura in his former life; now, it was a sickly bismuth color. Things were definitely not going according to plan.

He had been resurrected. It had been an event of epic proportions. It had been a show of unimaginable power. It had been a display of unprecedented magic. It had been a disaster of unmitigated extent.

Long had he anticipated being restored to his true body. Long had he anticipated returning to the prime of life. Never had he imagined that his new body would be awkward and feeble. Never had he imagined that his resurrection would cost him his wand hand. Never had he imagined that his humanity would be denied. Never had he imagined that his masculinity would be reduced to a state of mind.

He was supposed to have been commanding his core team of allies. One of the keys to his resurrection had slaughtered them. Now, his fate lay in the hands of the sole survivor, a dubious ally at best, an infidel. He was still trying to decide whether it would be preferable to strike out on his own.

The cursed woman had taken full advantage of his weakness. She had brushed his coat to a satin sheen. She had buffed his hooves to a mirror shine. She had braided his mane and tail and tied them with ribbons and bows. She had treated him like a beloved pet.

The face that looked back at him in the mirror was the prettiest filly one could imagine. The pampering and primping would have warmed and filled a girl's heart with glee. The smile announced that everything was right with the world.

He was a bloke, dammit! The body was a mistake, nothing more. Surely, Umbridge must realize that each insult would be visited back on her tenfold once he reclaimed his power. Did the woman lose all sense of propriety when she was confronted with the accursed color pink? If his mouth had not been too clumsy to wield a wand, the bloated menace would already have become intimately familiar with the full effect of the cruciatus curse.

The saucer from which she was lapping heavy cream was an affront to her sensibilities. Did the woman mistake her for a cat? Did that woman think she was some sort of exotic pet?

He, HE was a bloke, dammit! He was the feared dark lord! He should be drinking the finest of wines from a gem-encrusted gold goblet. He should be crushing his enemies beneath his heel. He should be showing the world why his name should only be spoken in hushed fear filled whispers. He should be showing the world why his name should strike terror in the hearts of all witches and wizards.

His . . . Her . . . HIS wrath would be felt by all!

There would be a river of blood to mark his displeasure!

They would all pay!

The old fool . . . the travesty that was the Potter brat . . . the army of faithless followers who had abandoned him . . . they would rue the day!

They would . . . Wait. What was that?

It took her . . . him a few seconds to remember what that particular alert meant; it was a legacy that he had intended to be a temporary annoyance but had been paying dividends for years. It had denied the mudbloods the knowledge that purebloods had been taught from birth.

Why had they chosen this moment to purge his curse from the DADA position at the school?

This was the final straw!

With a scream of outrage, she attacked the pillow on which she had been lying. A few strikes proved that her hooves were unable to produce the level of destruction that she desired.

Teeth were deployed. Frustration mounted. Minutes passed. Finally, feathers filled the air.

Why in the name of Merlin were they pink?! Did the accursed woman murder a flamingo?


The onlookers were horrified at the sight of the greatest of grand mal seizures.

“Hold him down! Hold him down!” Twilight commanded as she projected a magenta aura around the flailing potions master, cushioning him from anything that he might strike.

“Stupefy!” snapped Moody.

“That’ll work, too,” Sirius commented as the screaming ceased.

“It wasn’t my first choice of spells,” Moody admitted.

“Oh?” Minerva asked, knowing she didn’t really want an answer.

“Bombarda would have been too messy.” Moody nodded. “Lady Black would have objected.”

“Alastor!” Minerva admonished.

“I don’t understand!” Twilight wailed. “Why did it affect him? Do humans have a narrower range of thaumatic resonance wavelengths?”

“He’s still convulsing a little,” Filius noted. “Rather impressive, considering the spell used.”

“I’m on it!” Pinkie shouted, reaching for the cutoff switch. “There, no more twitching. By the way, did anypony else just get the sinking feeling that somepony has something against pink? And should I take it as a personal affront?”

“No, I can’t say that I’ve noticed anything of the sort.” Minerva eyed Pinkie for a second before turning to Twilight. “Do not fret, Mrs. Black,” Minerva said. “Your device works within your stated specifications. Severus’ past has just come back demanding interest.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, staring at the downed man.

*Whummmmmmmp!* The solid door to the room shook.

*Sssssshhhhhrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaak!*

“Yaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!”

“Wards work,” Remus said, heading toward the door with his wand drawn. With a swift motion, he flung it open to peer out. “Severus!” he announced after a glance. “Your stalker has managed to follow you to the school.”

“I don’t think he can hear you,” Filius noted dryly.

“I wonder how she got here,” Sirius mused, looking around his friend.

“Owl, I suspect.” Remus put his wand away. “We can ask her after she wakes.”

“Maybe get her some medical attention first?” Sirius suggested.

“No need,” Moody said. “She only triggered the first warning ward I put up.”

“First warning?” Twilight asked warily.

“Tiers two through four are more dissuasive,” Moody said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Alastor, that is not appropriate for a school filled with children,” Minerva snapped.

“Fine,” Moody growled. “I’ll put up some prewarning wards, maybe tie in a few tickle charms.”

“Don’t worry, Professor McGonagall,” Remus said. “I’ll ward the wards so the students won’t get that far.”

“You do that.” Moody huffed.

“Well, that’s a bust,” Pomona said as she laced her fingers behind her neck and stretched. She then levitated Severus for a trip to the infirmary. “What should we do, now?”

“Get a new potion professor,” Moody suggested.

“Alastor,” Minerva said sternly. “What we are going to do is see if the ponies have a method for removing the mark from his arm. Until then, Lady Black’s defenses shall remain in reserve.”

“Mark?” Twilight asked. “What mark?”


In a private room in St. Mungo's, Doctor Leg Splint paced around a bed that the accommodating staff had modified to allow him to perform an examination without stretching. The small brown unicorn scowled when his face was hidden from his patient. He then fixed his professional façade and turned to the man who lay on the bed. "This is a perturbing case. Whoever designed this curse seemed to be determined to kill its victims. There are a disturbing number of agonizingly fatal pitfalls for any deviation from a narrow set of parameters."

The patient looked up with an accepting frown.

Doctor Splint looked at the chart floating in his aura. In a professional tone, he continued. "However, due to the recent scrambling of its magics, the fatal portions have been nullified. You might think of assassins with blowguns who have had their poisons neutralized. The attacks would be painful, but not fatal."

The patient said softly, "Pain is a state of mind."

The unicorn replied, "The good news is that we can remove it. However, it will be far from easy or pleasant. I will need a team of seven doctors, and the preparations will require at least a week. During that time, you will have to be almost completely immobilized, I'm sorry to say. You are in no immediate danger, but this thing is designed to kill you if any removal is attempted."

“That news is far better than what I had feared,” said the patient. “The Dark Lord was not known for his leniency.”

“You need to know,” said Dr. Splint, “you were extremely lucky; what you went through should have killed you.”

The patient did not even flinch. “I shall count myself lucky then.”

“This is not something to be flippant about,” the doctor pressed. “You could have died.”

“I am not being flippant,” the patient corrected. “I have merely spent too much time dwelling on what could have been. I simply do not wish to let this newest incident overshadow my current streak of good fortune.”

“I can see that I’m not getting the implications through your thick skull,” Dr. Splint said. "Let me lay this out for you. You have obligations beyond yourself."

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"I shall invite your wives in to explain it to you."

“You’re a sadist.” The patient stiffened where he lay.

"I'm a doctor. My first obligation is to the well-being of my patients." The doctor's frown deepened. "When they won't take what I say seriously, it is the obligation of their herdmates to see that they do."

The patient sighed. “I can see why you come so highly recommended.”


The platform at Hogsmeade Station was electric with anticipation as the regulars indiscreetly watched as the decet of strangers lay in wait. The locals knew that the lone male with them, Percy Weasley, should have been one of the students arriving on the Hogwarts Express. His obvious familiarity with the ten brightly-haired girls spoke of something distinctly out of the ordinary.

A gaggle of first-years immediately homed in on the group as the rest of the disembarking students participated in the fine art of voyeurism.

“Percy,” Ginny demanded, “why didn’t you ride the train? And who are these girls? Don’t tell me you picked up some more wives.”

Percy sniffed. “Is that any way to greet your brother?” he asked. “For your information, the girls and I were finalizing our acquisition of a good-sized home here in Hogsmeade. “

“Who are the extras?” Ron asked. “Mum is gonna throw a wobbly if you got more wives without telling her first.”

“George!”

“Never mind,” Sweetie Belle said as she watched one of the girls tackle-hug a surprised redhead. “That’s Minor Miracle; I should have recognized her mane style.”

“An’ Dull Roar, an’ Icy Hot, an’ Sad Smile, an' the rest of their herd,” Apple Bloom commented as Fred and George were swarmed. “Guess they wanted ta say goodbye again.”

Percy shrugged. “We had to pass around the rings, but we thought the surprise would be worth it.”

“The twins are definitely surprised,” Harry said.

“You should have heard Percy giggling madly when they asked to come along,” Gracious Tact said.

“I do not giggle,” Percy objected. “I was just thinking of how happy the twins would be.”

“You pranked Fred and George?” Ron said in awe. “Who are you and what have you done with my brother?”

By that time, a crowd was forming to watch the show. A good portion were muggle-born, new to the magical world.

“They may be getting a little too frisky,” Hermione noted.

“Let them have their fun,” Parvati scolded. “They aren’t hurting anyone.”

“The only thing stopping this from being indecent is their clothing,” Hermione objected.

“Shhhhhh!” Lavender said. “Don’t give them any ideas.”

“They’re just marking their stallions,” Bristle said. “They don’t want the school mares to get any funny ideas. After all, it’ll be a few months before they can see the twins again.”

“That’s not true,” Percy said. “There’s always Hogsmeade weekends.”

“They aren’t to be students then?” asked an adult voice. Turning, the group found Professor Babbling peering over their heads.

“Professor?” Percy said in surprise. “What brings you down here?”

“Mr. Weasley.” Professor Babbling shifted her focus. “I understand congratulations are in order.”

“Yes ma’am,” Percy said. “Please allow me to present Dainty Lace.” The girl in question curtseyed clumsily. “Bristle Barb.” A nod of greeting was her contribution. “and Gracious Tact.”

The last girl waved. “Oy.”

“Hello, ladies,” Professor Babbling said. “It is good to meet you.”

“The feeling is mutual,” Dainty Lace said.

“While a longer introduction is warranted, I’m afraid I am pressed for time.” Professor Babbling shifted her attention again. “Miss Belle, I need to inspect your luggage. Would you mind enlarging it and opening the living quarters?”

“I don’t mind,” Sweetie Belle said warily, producing her shrunken trunk.

After the lid was lifted, Professor Babblings stepped forward and called down the stairs. “Is anyone down there? . . . Anypony?”

There was no answer. "I just need to do a quick check,” Professor Babbling said, starting her descent. “In the meantime, Miss Bloom, I’ll need to check yours next.”

“Yes’m, Professor,” Apple Bloom said as the woman disappeared.

A few minutes later, the professor was calling down a separate set of stairs. “Is anypony down there?”

“Yes,” came a girl’s hesitant reply.

“Well, don’t you think it’s time to come up?” Professor Babbling asked.

“A little help here?” Fred, or maybe George called out, breaking the tension.

The group turned to look at the girl-covered twins before turning their attention back to the trunk. By this time, a beanie-covered head stuck itself out of the chest, drawing oohs and aahs from the spectators.

“Button Mash!” Apple Bloom demanded. “What were y'all doing in mah trunk?”

“Taking a nap,” said a boy’s voice from somewhere below Button Mash.

“Hurry up, Mr. Rumble,” Professor Babbling said. “We are pressed for time.”

There were more oohs and aahs as four foals exited the chest.

“Just out of curiosity,” Professor Babbling said to the downcast equines. “How were you planning on paying for your education?”

“We brought gems,” said the purple unicorn filly.

“Your princesses have forbidden the trafficking of such items,” Professor Babbling said. “It is fortunate for you that Lord Black has pledged to cover your expenses. Hurry now; your parents are waiting at the Three Broomsticks; they wish to have words with you.”

Four sets of ears laid back on their respective heads.

“Mom’s here?” the purple unicorn asked.

“Yes, and she wishes to speak to you before the feast.” The professor repeated, “Hurry now.” With those words, she turned on her heels, the crowd parting for her departure.

“We are so grounded.” said the dejected pink earth pony filly.


The returning students were all familiar with the Great Hall. Thus, they were surprised by the changes within. The four house tables were in their normal locations. Each lay beneath its corresponding house banner. The staff table was on a raised platform in the front of the room, its traditional spot. Somehow, another house table had been shoehorned into the room beneath a banner with several shades of grey. The dimensions of the room had not changed, but the additional table did not seem the least bit out of place. The other anomaly was that there were now double the original number of chairs at the staff table. The size and spacing of the seats seemed to be the same as before, but somehow, twice the original number of seats occupied the original volume.

A series of groans originating from the Ravenclaw table filled the room as several students attempted to resolve the discrepancy. The transcendental geometry needed was beyond the capabilities of even the seventh-years. The resulting headaches were far more intense than anything that could be handled without prescriptions.

The students continued to ponder the mystery as stragglers trickled in. It seemed as though another carriage from Hogsmeade Station arrived every few minutes. When the first mid-year transfer arrived, all became clear. Professor Flitwick directed the new students to the anonymous house table instead of having them wait in the antechamber in anticipation of the sorting ceremony.

It sounded as though ten thousand conversations were trying to drown each other out as the seconds ticked by with agonizing slowness. Just when everyone thought the last of the new students had arrived, another small batch would enter the room. After an agonizing ten minutes, Professor Babbling walked into the room with four young children in tow. The vibrant colors of their hair left little doubt that these were the four stowaways who had been rousted in Hogsmeade.

A tiny blonde girl in the last group broke away from her companions, rushing to the new house table. She squeezed in next to a rotund boy who was stressing the bench to its limits. Eagerly, she gave him a gleeful hug.

As soon as the last four students were seated, Dumbledore abandoned his golden throne to stand behind a decorative podium. The murmuring students fell silent to receive his words.

“Greetings, and welcome back from what I hope was a memorable break,” Dumbledore said, his voice easily discerned by all. “As you may have guessed, there are important announcements to be made and changes to be explained; not the least of which is our expanded student body.”

“Pardon me!” called out a young girl’s voice from the Ravenclaw table.

“Ah, we have an interruption,” Dumbledore said with a hint of amusement. “It's not a practice I would normally encourage; I assume you have a good reason.”

“Yes, sir.” Sue Li stood up, but kept her gaze firmly fixed on the bare table in front of her. “My father insisted that I do so since it would make what I’m about to say stick in everyone’s head.

“Then, by all means, continue,” Dumbledore said with a grandfatherly smile.

“Um.” Sue Li folded her hands in front of herself, clearly embarrassed. “I’ve had a strange and dangerous change happen to my magic recently,” she said with undisguised misery.

“Something that warrants disturbing the feast?” Dumbledore asked.

“Yes' sir,” Sue Li replied. “You see.” She shuffled nervously. “Um.”

“I see that this is making you uncomfortable,” Dumbledore said gently. “In these cases, I personally find it is best just to get it over with.”

“Don’t make me angry.” Sue Li winced. “You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.”

“That sounds uncomfortably like a threat,” Dumbledore said with a small frown.

“I didn’t mean it that way,” Sue Li protested in a trembling tone, still looking down “What I mean is, the human body is amazingly flammable when enough heat is applied and I seem to have lost control in that department.”

“I see,” Dumbledore said. “Thank you for that warning. I am afraid I am going to ask you to consult with both Madam Pomfrey and your head of house following the feast.

“Yes, sir.” Sue Li sat down, seemingly melting into the bench.

Dumbledore nodded. “Now that we have that out of the way, I think the rest of the announcements can wait until you have eaten. You are all most likely famished after your train ride, so let us fill our bellies before delving into the finer points of the changes that will affect us all.” With those words, platters of food appeared on all of the tables.

The room was filled with the din of normal dinner conversation. An unearthly silence filled the chamber after a voice from the new table screamed, "MEAT IS MURDER!"


It was a groggy Princess Luna who trod with exaggerated steps upon the marble hallways that traversed the palace. It had been a new maid who had attended to her needs this eve, and the mare had forgotten the most important part of her duties. Woe betide the pony who stood between the Princess of the Night and her coffee, which had better be standing at attention, awaiting her arrival in the kitchen.

With a loud yawn, Princess Luna passed a grumbling pony laboring away at the floor, mop in mouth. The yawn cut off abruptly as realization struck.

Rounding on the laborer, Princess Luna said, “Loyalty? Why dost thou seem preoccupied with such a lowly task?”

Loyalty spat out the mop handle. “Oh, hello Princess,” she said as she scrubbed at a particularly stubborn spot with a forehoof.

“Hello, Loyalty,” Princess Luna returned. “Pray, answer the question.”

“This is just a subtle reminder not to eat cupcakes that are supposed to be for your sister,” Loyalty answered.

“Thou must work on thy definition of 'subtle',” Princess Luna said.

Loyalty muttered something unintelligible.

“Thou ate cupcakes destined for our sister’s gullet?” Princess Luna asked.

Loyalty only nodded in response.

“Thou must also work on recognizing the line twixt bravery and foolhardiness,” Princess Luna reprimanded.

“I didn’t know Twilight had earmarked those cupcakes for Princess Celestia,” Loyalty protested. “By the way, your sister can be very scary.”

"Thou hast consumed her cupcakes,” Princess Luna said evenly. “What didst thou expect?”

“She didn’t even give me the opportunity to offer up the cupcakes I have in my saddlebag,” Loyalty complained. “Pinkie made them to make up for the ones from earlier.”

“Thou hast cupcakes in thy saddlebags?”

“Yeah.”

With a smirk, Luna reached out with her magic and retrieved a white box from the bags in question. “What flavor be these?”

“Love.”

“Love?”

“With vanilla frosting.” Loyalty nodded.

Princess Luna peered into the box. “They art pink,” she noted.

“Yup.”

The munching commenced. “They art very good.” Several crumbs fell toward the newly cleaned floor before a blue aura returned them to the Princess of the Night.

“I wonder if it’s too late to give them to Princess Celestia,” Loyalty mused.

“We think we shall be the one to present our sister the love,” Princess Luna said, hoping to secure a cup of coffee before the sugar rush faded. “Good eve to thou, Loyalty. Oh, and be warned.”

“Warned?”

“Thou missed a spot.”


The hall quieted once again as Dumbledore retook his place behind the podium. “Well now,” he said as he settled behind the gilded artifact. “We have all been fed and watered, with some explanations of the nature of beasts raised for meat thrown in.”

A chuckle wafted from the students.

“Since I know many of you are now wanting your beds, I shall keep this as brief as possible, though I fear it will still be a lot to take in. First of all, due to the collapse of the statute of secrecy, we now find ourselves with a surfeit of new students. Because of the unconventional nature of their education, it has been decided that they will not at this time be sorted into the houses.”

A murmur rippled through the audience.

“Fear not; they shall be sorted at the beginning of our next full year. For now, we have arranged temporary quarters. They shall be attending classes together, and it is thought that their integration shall go more smoothly once they have the basics under their belts. This is being done purely for logistical reasons.”

Another murmur followed.

“Let us have a round of welcoming applause for our newest additions,” Dumbledore prompted.

Loud clapping and whistles came from three of four of the established house tables, with the Slytherins being the notable exception.

“I trust everyone shall do their best to make our newest members feel welcome.” Dumbledore said when the noise finally subsided.

Much nodding met this statement.

“Now, I fear it is time for the more transitional announcements. Our first major change is the complete reworking of our previous routines. Everyone shall be receiving new schedules tomorrow morning, so breakfast in the Great Hall shall be mandatory.”

A few boos rang out.

“Now, now,” said the headmaster. “It is but a minor inconvenience, I am sure you shall all adjust accordingly. Next up is a cultural note pertaining to our pony friends. Henceforth, students below the age of seventeen shall be strongly discouraged from forming herds due to the permanent nature of the commitment. We are certain that those who have not yet reached their majority are unable to fully comprehend the gravity of the situation.”

Several growls came from the Gryffindor table.

“This will not affect herds already formed; however, I must stress the unfamiliarity human students have with the concept,” Dumbledore said. “This precaution is in place to preclude potentially devastating misunderstandings. This is subject to change as we become more attuned to our Equestrian visitors, and this rule has been approved by the muggle and wizarding governments. This is also advocated by the princesses of Equestria."

More growls came from the Gryffindor table, but they sounded more surprised than not.

“I will remind everyone that despite the revocation of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, magic in the hallways is still prohibited.”

More boos met this statement. While the students were displaying their displeasure, Professor McGonagall walked up to the podium and handed the headmaster a piece of parchment.

“Ah,” Dumbledore said after reading the note. “While we do have several additions to the staff that I had meant to leave for the end of our announcements, it would seem that we have a last-minute change that I shall squeeze in. It would seem that our potions master will be unavailable for a short interval. However, his duties shall be covered by . . .” Dumbledore reread the parchment before turning to Professor McGonagall. “There seems to be an error, it says that Professor Snape shall be covering the duties of Professor Snape.”

Professor McGonagall leaned in and whispered to the headmaster.

“Ah, I see,” Dumbledore said turning again to address the students. “Due to the unexpected nature of the absence, Professor Snape’s wife Zakariyya shall be filling in for her husband for the foreseeable future.”

“His wife?!” many cried, but the words were drowned out by the enthusiastic cheering and wolf whistles that rocked the hall.


In every corner of the palace, alarms were blaring. Guard ponies ran around with looks of panic, doing their best to herd the stampede of citizens out of harm’s way.

“Code Mercury! Code Mercury!” one of the guard lieutenants was yelling at the top of his unicorn-amplified lungs. “We have a Code Mercury! This is not a drill!”

The palace shook as a particularly loud explosion shook the structure.

“What happened?” a senior officer demanded of his junior.

“The princesses are having a spirited discussion, sir,” the junior replied warily.

The senior officer fixed the younger with a stare. “Does it involve cake?” he demanded.

“I SWEAR LUNA, IF YOU DON’T HOOF OVER THOSE CUPCAKES RIGHT THIS INSTANT, I’M GOING TO SHOW YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD FOR A PADDLING!”

“BRING IT, SISTER DEAR! WE ART PREPARED!”

“Err . . . yes . . . sir,” said the junior officer.

The senior officer sighed. “We’ll Just let them work it out for themselves." A shower of buttercream coated the pair. "In the meantime, tell the kitchens to make sure the cake vault is freshly stocked."

Author's Note:

I just need to say... Even though I can not give full credit to a commenter for Astoria, I have decided to throw him the proverbial bone with this chapter. It's a bit tougher than a cookie, but hey.

PreviousChapters Next