• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 8,415 Views, 2,520 Comments

Hazy Days and Magical Ways - Dogger807



The Crusaders have finished their first semester at Hogwarts with the second about to start. The Weasley twins may be taking bets on how many professors take up heavy drinking by the end of the year.

  • ...
32
 2,520
 8,415

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Conniptions, Consciousness and Closure

Larva was less than happy at having been shoved into the tiny pouch that the owl had worn on its breast. The darkness into which she had been noisily regurgitated was familiar but foreign. The texture of the stone floor and the subtle eddies in the air currents evoked memories of growing up. This had to be one of the caverns that her hive had recently abandoned. However, the chittering of 'lings was eerily absent and the reassurance of the hive mind was faint at best. Larva suppressed a gulp as she finally understood the idiom "you can't go home again".

Her sense of smell had alerted her to the new residents long before her sharp eyes picked up the silhouettes of nigh invisible ponies with leather wings. She was positive that there had been no other occupants when her hive had departed. Apparently, the batponies had found the extensive network of dens and tunnels to be an ideal place to set up a village, staying far away from their sun-loving cousins. Granted, the general pony populous had only recently been reintroduced to their kind, with their emergence coinciding with the return of the lunar princess. Still, Larva found the speed at which her old home had been usurped to be unusually swift.

Larva hadn’t been the only 'ling to be surprised when she was ejected from the owl’s pouch. To say that the batpony mare who let her out was disappointed would be an understatement.

“You’re not a stallion,” the thestral mare noted before Larva had managed to pick herself up off the ground.

“Was I supposed to be?” Larva asked; as an infiltrator, she was perfectly comfortable taking on the form of somepony of the opposite gender.

“We were supposed to be getting some young stallions.” The batpony frowned as she gestured to the cavern packed with expectant mares. “Not that a new mare won’t be welcomed. The fresh blood is invaluable, but intel says it will be harder to convince human mares.”

“I can see the thought process behind that reasoning,” Larva said, dusting herself off. “Hello, I’m Larva.”

“Inky.” The thestral mare held out her hoof for a hoofbump. “I have to say, I can’t get over how agreeable you humans are to a little bit of foalnapping.”

“We’re not actually foalnapping anypony!” a mare in the crowd called out. “We are only temporarily relocating them so that we may propose a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that is both unique and mutually beneficial. The choice to participate or decline as they see fit is to be emphasized so that the agreement cannot be disputed.”

Larva looked at the pony who had spoken. “You have a lawyer’s cutie mark,” she stated.

“Salespony, actually.” The mare shook her head.

Larva sighed and turned back to Inky. “So, you’re kidnapping human stallions?”

“Maybe just a little.” Inky wilted. “But we plan on returning them after we get a commitment.”

“We got cake!” a mare in the crowd piped up. “Stallions are easier to convince when you have cake!”

“Amateurs,” Larva muttered.

“Can you change into a thestral pony?” Inky asked, running her eyes up and down Larva, getting back on subject.

“I can,” Larva admitted. “But it wouldn’t be useful for your purposes; I can’t have thestral foals.”

Inky huffed. “Extra was supposed to be finding humans with thestral forms and sending them our way. It’s our job to convince them that they want a herd comprised mainly of our mares. Not that mares from the other tribes wouldn’t work, that would still get our genes out there and increase the rate of recessive births.”

“I’m starting to understand why I was sent.” Larva mused. “I can help with the matchmaking; it’s kind of my thing.”

“Um.” Inky hesitated. “I think I should warn you that we are kind of skirting the line here. Technically, since we are in the Badlands and not in Equestria, the princesses shouldn’t be a problem, but there is the chance that your human government might get upset.”

Larva snorted. “You are just snatching a guy and showing him potential relationships that will last a lifetime. I do that all of the time. They may complain and shout, but they get over it quick enough. Especially if you have a spot of tea handy. Add that to the cake and you’ll have nothing to worry about. You might want to throw in a few biscuits as well, just to be safe.”

“Tea?”

“Yes, tea. They are Englishmen, after all; you’ll be amazed at what you can get away with if you possess a china tea set and some Earl Grey.”


I need to wake up.


Rainbow Dash’s day had just taken a turn for the surreal. The soap operas that Bella was so fond of had nothing on what she was going through. It was a plot twist that was so unbelievable that it seemed too bizarre to be real. Yet, here she was, her world shattered and rebuilt over the course of one meeting. She had been hoping to visit the school afterward to let Scootaloo know the adoption had been completed; she had even arranged with Professor McGonagall to take her new official daughter out for dinner as a surprise. Well, there had been a surprise; the adoption had been cancelled. The reason was completely unforeseeable. It was unimaginable and unthinkable.

It had brought tears to Rainbow’s eyes. That was happening way too much lately.

Hagrid hadn’t been the one to meet her at the gates of Hogwarts, instead it was the creepy Fich guy . . . Fish . . . the crazy cat guy? Whatever, it didn’t matter. His grumbling the entire time during their walk to the castle would have been annoying if she had been paying attention.

“Lady Black,” Professor McGonagall called out from where she and Scootaloo were standing just outside the front door of the castle. “You’re early.”

“Yeah.” Rainbow said gruffly. “I’m sorry, something happened. I need to see Scootaloo as soon as possible.”

Professor McGonagall studied the rainbow haired woman. “Whatever it is, I hope it isn’t too traumatizing.”

“'Traumatizing' doesn’t begin to cover it.” Rainbow turned to address Scootaloo. “We need to go talk to Mom and Dad.”


“What’s this?” the thestral colt looked at the parchment in his hooves. He wasn’t quite an adult yet but he was on the cusp.

“It’s a consent form,” the woman wearing a towel replied. “You aren’t of age yet; so, you need to have your guardian sign it.”

The colt skimmed the form. “You have a form that allows you to kidnap me for the express purpose of throwing a lot of fillies at me with the hopes that I’ll agree to join a herd?” he asked skeptically.

“Yes, you can use this owl here to send it to your mother for a signature; then, we can get you on your way.”

The colt blinked at the parchment then at the woman. “Are you for real?”

“Of course.”

“Could I get one of those as well?” the colt’s friend, standing next to him, asked. “My father says I need to get my nose out of my books and find a girlfriend.”

“I’m sorry; you are an earth pony,” the woman said. “Not that we have anything against earth ponies, but it is fresh thestral blood that we desperately need.”

“I’m still having a hard time believing this is serious.” The thestral colt waved the parchment. “Besides, the headmaster said we should wait until after graduation before forming herds.”

“This will be under adult supervision.” The woman reassured him. “And you will be helping preserve one of the great pony races without sacrificing your right to take a human filly as one of your wives.”

“Fine, hand me a quill; I’ll send it to my dad.” The thestral colt held out a hoof. “He’s been making noises about me getting close to some girls from Equestria like the Weasley twins did. This’ll get him off my back.”

“That’s not fair, you know,” his friend complained. “My father has been pestering me too, and you had the answer just land in your lap.”

“Luck of the draw, I’m afraid,” said the woman in the towel. “Your friend is only the second thestral colt I’ve found. If he were two months older, he’d already be surrounded by eager fillies.”

“Can I get another go at that ring? Maybe this time I can come out as a thestral.”

“It doesn’t work that way.” The woman shook her head sadly. She was too distracted to notice the student stomping up behind her. Therefore, she didn’t react before she was yanked backward by her hair. Blinking away tears, she found herself staring at an unwavering wand.

“Where’s my Torin?!”


Rainbow Dash was a hardened veteran. Riding in a magical pouch was a little cramped, but it was otherwise not uncomfortable. Exiting, however, tended to be an undignified demonstration of gravity. Armed with that knowledge, she had chosen her parent's house as her destination. Instead of wood or tile, the floor was made of cloud, perfect for a soft landing. For those without flight magic, however, a somewhat harsher second landing needed to be taken into account. Now, all she had to do was hope that her parents could follow the directions that she had sent along with her wand.

Bow Hothoof was treated to a sound he hadn't heard since his retirement from professional sports after he tapped the pouch with the wand held in his wingtip and said, "Ex dimittere."

A mare who shared his coloration tumbled out. Windy Whistles jumped forward to hug her and said, "Rainbow! Honey! It's great to see you!"

“That was some tremendous owl riding!” Bow added, vibrating in place in his excitement.

“Moooom. Dad,” Rainbow said and gave a weak smile. “Hello.”

“Ooo! This is the filly you’re adopting!” Windy said, scooping up an eeping Scootaloo. “She’ll fit right in! Our first grandfilly!”

“Mom.”

“You are going to be the best mother!” Windy continued.

“Mom.”

“And you . . . are going to be the best daughter!” Windy rubbed Scootaloo’s cheek with a hoof. “Our daughter has the best taste in daughters.”

“Mom. We really need to talk.”

“We have so many stories to tell you about Rainbow when she was your age!” Windy told Scootaloo as Bow came over for a closer inspection of the filly.

“Mom, I know what happened to Rainbow Star,” Rainbow Dash said firmly.

It was if cold water were splashed onto the two eldest ponies in the room. They froze, staring at their daughter with looks of pure astonishment on their faces.

Still held in Windy’s forehooves, Scootaloo looked first at Bow then up at Windy. “Who’s Rainbow Star?” she asked, able to talk for the first time since they arrived.

Rainbow sighed before addressing Lodestone. “You may as well head back to Big Mac; we’re going to be a while.” Then, when she could delay no longer, she continued. “Rainbow Star was the mare who bore me; she was Mom and Dad’s herdmate,” she informed Scootaloo.

“Not ‘was’ . . . ‘is’,” Windy corrected with a whisper.

“No, Mom.” Rainbow lowered her own head, closing her eyes in pain. “Was.”

“No,” Windy whispered, searching her daughter’s face. “No,” she repeated, putting Scootaloo down on the floor. “No!” The tears were freely flowing. “NOOOOOO!” Windy wailed fleeing as the hope, she held for years was shattered.

Bow stared at Rainbow, tears welling in his own eyes. “Was?”

Rainbow nodded, leaking water from her own closed eyes.

“I need to go help your mother,” Bow said, amazingly calm.

“Dad,” Rainbow said, not looking up. “I’m sorry.”

Bow hesitated before saying, “We always knew it was a possibility.” With those words he turned to trot after Windy. “Just . . .” He stopped at the doorway. “. . . it never was going to be easy to hear.” He then left to find his wife.

Scootaloo looked around in confusion, tears in her own eyes. “What?” she asked Rainbow. “Why?”

Rainbow took the few steps forward needed before she could wrap Scootaloo in her wings. “You need to hear this, squirt.” She said, “I wish I could spare you the pain, but you need to hear this.”

“I . . . I don’t understand,” Scootaloo said.

“Rainbow Star, my other mother, was a long-distance flyer,” Rainbow said. “She used to make good bits doing deliveries to far off places. One time, when I was very young, she didn’t return. I used to have so many excuses; I even blamed her for abandoning us, but deep down I guess I always knew.”

“But . . . wha?” Scootaloo asked.

“It’s a long story,” Rainbow said. “You’ll have to wait until they come back; I don’t want to repeat it.”

“But . . . but . . .”

“Tell you what. My mom used to make me hot cocoa when I was upset; I’m sure we can find the ingredients while we wait.”

“You’re trying to distract me.” Scootaloo accused.

“Is it working?”

“Will there be marshmallows?”

“I’m sure there will be.”

“Then I’ll let you get away with it just this once.”


Exiting an owl’s pouch was almost never either graceful or dignified. Extra found out that being bound by magical robes only exacerbated the situation. The proof was in the additional bounces added to her landing.

The female student who had accompanied her stood up quickly and brandished her wand at the chamber full of ponies. However, the ponies couldn’t have cared less, as their attention was elsewhere.

“Another stallion!”

“He’s cute!”

“Mine!”

“Like hay he is!”

“mother,” the newly arrived colt managed to get out before he was swarmed.

The female student stood slightly stunned as a sea of ponies flowed around her legs to reach their target.

“Watch those hooves!” Extra cried out. “Some of us can't get off the floor here!”

The female student looked around the cavern and locked her gaze on an unexpected sight. “Torin?” she asked.

“Ruby! Hello, glad you could make it.”

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“Having a cuppa. Care for some?”

Ruby flicked her wand and the seat next to Torin was vacated causing the mare previously occupying the spot to suddenly be very grateful that she possessed wings. “Is that cake?”

“Yes, it’s very good.” Torin nodded.

Ruby pinched the bridge of her nose as she sat down. “Why are you still a pony?”

“I don’t have the ring anymore.” Torin shrugged.

“If you think I’m sharing you, then you’re about to undergo massive blunt trauma to your head.” Ruby said, picking up a cube of sugar with a conveniently placed pair of tongs.

“Shouldn’t that be ‘if you think I’m sharing you, then you’ve undergone massive blunt trauma to your head’?” Torin corrected.

“No.”

Torin shuddered. “They really aren’t that bad once you get to know them,” he started.

Ruby transfigured the chair on Torin's other side into a large club with studded metal bands, evicting the mare who had been occupying it.

“Woah! Woah!” A redheaded woman seemed to melt out of the shadows as the mare squawked at the loss of her seat.

“This is a private conversation,” Ruby said, eyeing Torin dangerously.

“I know, I know,” Larva said, raising her palms pacifyingly. “Just hear me out.”

Ruby gave her a dirty look.

“First of all.” Larva glanced at the transfigured club. “Can you even lift that thing? It looks heavy.”

“Wingardium Leviosa.”

“Okay, now, that’s just cheating.”

“I’m a witch.” Ruby reminded her.

“Most girls wouldn't admit that.” Larva nodded. “Though I suppose, a unicorn would have picked it up in their magic as well. Would you mind putting it down, having some tea and maybe calm down a bit?

“You ponies have no right to . . .”

“I’m not a pony,” Larva interrupted. “I am a neutral third party that got dragged into this by a woman wearing thick glasses and her white owl. Right now, I’m just trying to stop you from clubbing your boyfriend or worse, start playing whack-a-pony with an already endangered pony tribe.”

“A woman with thick glasses and a white owl?” Ruby asked

“Yeah, she just sauntered into the pub as if she owned the place.”

“That’s where Professor Trelawny got to with Potter’s owl.” Ruby sighed, remembering the scene from earlier that day. “Okay, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but if the word ‘herd’ enters the conversation at any point, all bets are off.”

“Okay, just hold that thought. I need to go save that other boy and make sure he chooses the right girls for his . . . um . . . gaggle. I’ll be right back.”

“Would it be too much to ask to be untied?!”

“Shut up, you,” Ruby called over her shoulder while pouring some tea. “You’re not forgiven for kidnapping my boyfriend.”


The family had regrouped around the kitchen table with mugs of cocoa in front of everypony before the conversation continued.

Cupping her mug between her hooves, but not taking a sip, Windy broke the silence. “Honey are you sure? It’s been such a long time, and there could have been a mistake.”

“I’m sure, Mom.” Rainbow stared into the depths of her mug. “I went to finish up the paperwork and officially become Scootaloo’s mother. They had just finished the medical tests, you see.” She shuddered and took a deep breath. “Mom, they told me. Scootaloo . . . They said.”

“Take a deep breath.” Bow suggested.

Rainbow did just that. “They said they had found a mare at the edge of the forest. They don’t know what happened, but she was burnt crisp, without a hair on her body, no cutie mark to identify her. She was barely alive, so they took her to the hospital.”

“Sweet Celestia.” Windy clutched her eyes closed as more tears came.

“They said.” Rainbow swallowed trying to get some moisture in her throat. “They said they tried everything to bring her back, but she never improved; she never regained consciousness. She was beyond hope, but she was pregnant. They kept her alive long enough to give birth, nearly the entire gestation of the foal.”

Bow was crying silent tears as Windy leaned into him for comfort.

“The filly . . . the filly was born with stunted wings.” Rainbow continued. “Otherwise, she was in perfect health.”

Scootaloo stiffened at these words and looked worriedly at Rainbow without uttering a sound.

“They.” Rainbow swallowed again as she paused. “The tests came back; I can’t adopt Scootaloo because they now know where her father is, and he didn’t know of her existence before today. I . . . I can’t adopt my own sister.”


I need to wake up


Frantic knocking assaulted the door to her office before it was flung open, and a first-year with an owl on her shoulder rushed in.

“Princess Hope?” Professor Sprout addressed the invader. “What happened?”

“Please, Professor!” the small girl held out her pouch-bearing owl. “You need to go save Torin from Ruby before she does something she’ll regret later.”


“I hope you got that out of your system,” Larva stated as she watched all of the flopping ponies who cluttered the floor of the cavern.

“It’s only the jelly leg hex,” Ruby said. “It lets me blow off some steam without really hurting anyone.”

“I’ve got to pee badly!” cried out one of the batpony mares doing her best imitation of a limp noodle.

“I’d say it affected more than their legs,” Larva observed.

“I may have overpowered the spells a little.”

“You do know it’s not nice to curse someone just because you disagree with what they say.”

“I didn’t curse them. I hexed them,” Ruby corrected.

“There’s a difference?” Larva raised an eyebrow.

“It’s a matter of scale,” Ruby admitted. “Nothing I did is permanent, and nothing was that serious.”

“I saw what you did to Torin.”

“He’ll recover.” Ruby shrugged.

“I really need to pee!”

“I think you might have some anger management issues,” Larva observed.

“It’s been a stressful day,” Ruby said. “Finite. Fine, go to the loo then.”

“Thank You!” the thestral mare vanished into the shadows.

“You’re being stupid.” Larva huffed. “I told you already; those three mares will be perfect matches for you and Torin. Unlike the blue-haired one he was eyeing -- that would have been a nightmare.”

“Are you bloody daft?” Ruby snarled “Why should I put up with the disgrace?”

“Disgrace?” Larva tilted her head. “There's no disgrace in love.”

“Love?” Ruby barked “What would you know about love? You’re more than slightly nutty if you think you have a clue.”

“What would I know about love?” Larva snarled. “I know I will never experience it. I can see it. I can see its potential. I can even taste it, but I will never experience it. It’s my job to see that it thrives, but I am denied its embrace. Don’t you dare tell me I don’t understand love. My entire life revolves around collecting love, forever prohibited from . . .”

"Hang on a tick." Ruby looked at the redheaded woman as understanding dawned. “You’re a changeling.”

“What?” Larva stumbled over the word as her monolog was interrupted.

“You’re a changeling, like Clouded,” Ruby clarified.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Larva suddenly found herself on the defense.

“Does Torin love me?”

“What?” Larva resisted the whiplash. “After what you just did to him, why would you ask that?”

“He’s trading me in for a bunch of cuddly, fanged, wanna be vampires. Of course, I need to know.”

“He’s not trading you in,” Larva said. “Is that what you’re afraid of?”

“I’m not going to be just one of his conquests.”

“One of his . . . You do realize you practically have ‘alpha mare’ written across your forehead.”

“I told you already . . .” Ruby was interrupted by a large owl flying into the cavern. She looked first at the bird and then at a certain bound woman. “Were you expecting someone else?”

“Your guess is as good as mine,” Extra said. “Look, now that you’ve calmed down a little; I’ve lost the feeling in my legs. I’ll admit that just snatching Torin wasn’t fair to you and I apologize for the distress it caused.”

“Would you stop making it difficult to stay mad at you?” Ruby snarled.

“Please.”

“Okay, okay, Finite.” Ruby relented.

“Thank you! Thank yoaaaaarrrrggghhhhh! Pins and needles! Pins and needles!”

Larva looked at Ruby with a reproachful glare.

“I might have put her knickers in a twist,” Ruby admitted.

“You do realize that there are going to be mares having nightmares of you for the rest of their lives.” Larva said.

“Serves them right.”

“Could you at least allow Torin to rejoin the conversation?”

“Maybe in a few minutes.”

“Are you going to let whoever it is out of the pouch?” Larva asked

“Um, how do these things work again?”

“Place your wand on it and say ‘ex dimittere’,” Larva said.

“Ex dimittere.” Ruby obliged.

There were the customary troublesome sounds before a familiar woman landed unexpectedly gracefully on her feet and looked around. She then turned to Ruby and stated, “I see the hat considered putting you in Gryffindor.”

“Actually, its second choice was Ravenclaw,” Ruby admitted. “Gryffindor was third.”

“Well, I’m glad you decided on Hufflepuff.” Professor Sprout nodded happily. “Now, where is my other wayward badger?”

“If you’re asking about Torin, he’s that pile over there.” Larva pointed.

“Could you not have trusted that he would stay loyal to you?” Professor Sprout asked disapprovingly.

“He was talking about how the thestrals needed his help badly.” Ruby frowned. “He was just seeing how many knickers he could get into.”

“I don’t doubt that of any teenage wizard; however, Professor Snape has informed the staff that the thestrals do have a pressing need. I would advise not judging them overly harshly.”

“I am not in the wrong here.” Ruby huffed. “Ma’am,” she added belatedly.

Professor Spout frowned before pointing her wand at Torin and muttered, “Finite Incantatem.”

“Thank you, Professor,” Torin said, getting to his hooves before turning his angry gaze on Ruby. “I just want to get into their knickers? Is that all you think of me? You don’t think I wouldn’t be moved by their plight to preserve their race? You think this is only about the sex?”

“Tor, you . . .” Ruby started.

“Stuff it, Ruby. You and I are through. I don’t know what you thought you were doing, but I’m not standing for it.” Torin flapped his wings angerly. “There are a lot of knickers laying about and I need to get to the task of getting into them.”

“Tor, you can’t . . .”

“I said ‘stuff it, Ruby’.” Torin pointed a hoof at a thestral mare who had been lying quietly on the ground. “Professor, would you mind counter-hexing Shadow Flow here? I’m not sure where my wand is right now, but I suspect I’ll have it again once I get a ring to change back.”

“Finite Incantatem.”

“And her.”

“Finite Incantatem.”

“Her too.”

“Finite Incantatem.”

“And finally, her.”

“No, not the blue-haired mare,” Larva cut in. “I warned you to stay away from the blue-haired mare.”

“Right, you’re a changeling; can feel love and all that.” Torin sighed. “Are you sure?”

“Positive.” Larva nodded. “And I never said I was a changeling.”

“Says the woman named Larva,” Torin said sarcastically, helping one of the mares to her feet. “Look I appreciate all the help you tried to provide, but I have some knickers to get into, so if you’ll excuse us.”

“Mr. Walker, you are about to do something that is irreversible,” Professor Sprout said. “I’d suggest a cooling down period before you proceed.”

“I can’t, professor.” Torin said venomously. “Don’t you know I’m a knicker-seeking wizard? It’s in my nature.”

“Tor, don’t you.”

“We’re through, Ruby.” Torin helped another mare to her feet. “Come on, it’s time for you to show me your knickers.”

“What are knickers and what’s with the sudden fascination with them?” Shadow Flow asked.

“Let’s go somewhere private and I’ll explain,” Torin told her.

“Stop ignoring me, Tor!”

“Bye Ruby.” As Torin left the cavern in the company of three mares, his voice trailed off. "And you, Ruby, don't get to call me 'Tor' anymore. From now on, I am Progenitor!" There was a loud slap as wingtips chastised flanks.

“Well, you made him mad.” Professor Sprout said unnecessarily.

“I told you, you were overreacting,” Larva said. “Don’t worry, though, I can see that you still have a chance. He just needs some time to get over his anger.”

“I don’t want him,” Ruby said firmly.

Larva looked at her skeptically as did Professor Sprout.

“I don’t want him,” Ruby repeated. “He can have his herd; I don’t need him.”

“Why won’t you stop being stupid?” Larva asked.

“I don’t need him!”


The words were softly spoken and faded before anyone heard them.

“I need to wake up.”

Author's Note:

When I started writing this story, Windy and Bow had not been introduced yet. So, the major divergence, in this chapter, hadn't been planned out to be such a conflict. However, the bond has always been intended, from the very beginning. I am sure that there will be those who don't like me straying so far from cannon; to them I will apologize and remind you of the AU tag.

Also, that last scene with Ruby and Torin... well that didn't pan out as originally intended. I'm sure there are other authors out there are familiar with the sensation of getting wrapped up with their writing then having to ask "What was that I just wrote"?

Edit::: oh... on the comments for the last chapter I added a little poll

PreviousChapters Next