• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 8,483 Views, 2,522 Comments

Hazy Days and Magical Ways - Dogger807



The Crusaders have finished their first semester at Hogwarts with the second about to start. The Weasley twins may be taking bets on how many professors take up heavy drinking by the end of the year.

  • ...
32
 2,522
 8,483

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: Sufficiently Short on Surprises

No matter the dimension, the first day of the weekend was always a favorite for school children. It was a day to forget about homework. It was a day to get a few extra hours of well-deserved sleep – unless, of course, there was something fun planned. When plans existed, there was no time to be wasted on sleep, regardless of what parents or neighbors might think of impromptu notifications. One quartet of boys having a sleepover was living proof of that. One of their numbers had invited the rest to join him for a glimpse of the magical world – a night in a suburban wizarding house, hiding in plain sight in a stodgy old neighborhood.

What was mundane to magicals was marvelous to muggles. In all honesty, the adults should have known better than to expect anything less than the sheer pandemonium that had ensued. There was no way the children could be sufficiently admonished for nearly giving the boggart in the basement a heart attack. The going rumor, however, was that it had been mollified by being offered the starring role in the haunted house that the boys were planning for the coming Halloween.

The quartet had found their adventure unexpectedly accelerated when, in a desperate bid to preserve her sanity, Hector’s mother had summoned Owlowiscious at 2:07 a.m. and stuffed the boys into the bird’s pouch with orders to drop them off at Sweet Apple Acres for the foreseeable future.

Big Macintosh had set them to work mucking out pens and slopping the hogs in the hours before breakfast was ready. Even knowing that humans could become quite adept at milking the cows, the large red stallion came to the conclusion that in this case the risks outweighed the rewards. Overall, youthful energy and novelty made short work of the chores.

After earning their keep, Granny Smith treated the boys to two types of pancakes – buckwheat flapjacks with butter and real maple syrup, and baked apple pancake with raisins and hints of cinnamon and cloves. There was nary a hint of artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. The elderly green mare could not help but beam as the boys showed their appreciation for her cooking.

Swallowing his last bite, Hector said, “Granny, I’m going to show my mates around Ponyville. I want to introduce them to Crisp Lick; she’s always going on about meeting humans.”

“Ah don’t see how that could be a problem,” Granny said. “I reckon y’all would need to put in some serious effort ta cause half the trouble mah granfilly and her friends kin manage.”

“We aren’t looking to cause trouble, ma’am.” Brad, one of Hector’s friends, said. “We just want to look around.”

“Yeah,” Geoffrey said as he craned his neck over the offerings. “Hector has been saying that he can change into a pony, and he’s yet to prove it.”

“I keep telling you; my mum threatened me with a year’s worth of grounding if I do that at school.”

“Well, we aren’t at school now,” Wilbur said, munching piggishly on the last of his pancake. “Show us, already.”

“I was getting to that,” Hector said with a grin.

“Ah see somepony likes funning with his friends,” Granny said, giving Hector the eye. “Be mindful that y’all kin take it too far if’n yer not careful.”

“I just didn’t want to show off.” Hector pouted, standing up before shrinking to his pony form. “See, it isn’t that big of a deal.”

“That’s the truth.” Geoffrey stated, towering over the little unicorn. “You’re tiny,”

“He’s jus’ the right size,” Granny said, pushing herself up from the table. “Y’all wait here a sec an’ Ah’ll go rassle up some bits. Ah reckon y’all will be wanting to have yer lunch at the Sugarcube or one o’ the other cafés in town.”


It has been noted before that the residents of Ponyville were used to sights that would be considered unusual anywhere else in Equestria. Three colts playing ball as they walked down the main street really had no reason to be on that list. True, they were human colts -- something not yet seen in town, but they held a surprise factor of zero. Still, everypony couldn’t help but stop and watch as they were clearly having fun. Their ball . . . not so much.

“This isn’t funny!” Hector cried out as he caught some hang time.

“Yes, it is; you should see yourself flailing about,” Brad said as he caught the furry ball and immediately tossed it to Wilbur.

“Just you wait until I get my feet back on the ground!” Hector got out as he went from Wilbur to Geoffrey.

“We’ll just have to keep you in the air then.” Wilbur said, awaiting his turn.

“I’m gonna be sick!”

“I thought ponies could fly!” Brad retorted. “It’s good practice!”

“I’m not a pegasus!”

“Should we do something?” Hallowed Candle asked as she watched the airborne unicorn foal.

“Nah,” Taro Root said as she also watched. “I’m pretty sure this counts as colts acting like colts.”

“Isn’t it bullying?” Umber Shine asked as her head tracked the movement.

“Nah,” Taro Root repeated. “They wouldn’t be doing it in front of everypony if it were. You can tell they’re all friends.”

“You better not complain when I barf all over you!”

“Yeah, I see what you mean,” Vanilla Cream said. “He doesn’t seem too upset.”

“That actually looks like fun,” Cloud Kicker commented.

“Says the mare with wings.” Cherry Blush grimaced.

“What’s the worst that could happen?” Cloud Kicker countered. “He ends up in a snow bank?”

“I’m more worried that he’ll bounce off the ground a few times,” Hallowed Candle said.

“Totally worth it.” Cloud Kicker shrugged. “It wouldn’t hurt that much.”

“I think we are just going to label your attitude as ‘one of those pegasus things’,” Vanilla Cream quipped.

“What are you doing to him?!” a voice near ground level yelled.

“Oh, hey there Crisp Lick. How’s it going?” Hector asked as he rode the airwaves.

“Are you all right, Hector?” the young filly asked as she watched her friend being tossed around.

“Aside from the urge to bite someone when I get down, I’m fine.”

“Crisp Lick?” Brad asked as he took his turn to lob Hector. “She’s the girlfriend you’ve been telling us about?”

“She’s not my girlfriend. She’s just a friend who happens to be a girl.”

“Okay, this is entering familiar territory,” Taro Root muttered.

“Despite the flying unicorn colt?” Umber Shine asked.

“Some things are just universal,” Cloud Kicker said.

“Put him down!” Crisp Lick demanded, stomping a forehoof.

“We’re not going to drop him,” said Geoffrey. “You should try it.”

“I’m not going to try it! You need to stop right . . . Eeeeeeeek!” Crisp Lick found her sentence cut off as Geoffrey scooped her up, and she suddenly found herself headed toward Brad’s arms with much less ground under her hooves than was her liking.

“Okay, this is going to get out of hoof,” Umber Shine said as she watched the human colts add another ball to the rotation.

“You got to admit, it is kind of funny,” Taro Root countered.

“Eeeeek!”

“I don’t think Crisp Lick is having fun,” Vanilla Lick said.

“Just give her some time for the shock to wear off,” Cloud Kicker said.

“Totally a pegasus thing,” Cherry Blush commented.

“Eeeeeeeek!”

It was at that time that Wilbur looked down, prompted by an unexpected tapping on his leg. There was an itsy bitsy pegasus foal looking up at him with awfully big eyes -- awfully hopeful, big eyes. He looked up again in time to add momentum to both Crisp Lick and Hector before he reached down to grab what could only be a baby pony.

“Weeeeeeeeee!”

“Eeeeeeeek!”

“Oh, come on!”

“Yup, totally a pegasus thing,” Cherry Blush repeated.

“Watch the little one. He’s a whole lot lighter than the other two,” Brad commented after a throw.

“She’s a filly,” the smallest foal’s mother said from where she was watching. “You colts be careful, now.”

“Yes ma’am,” the three human colts chorused

“Weeeeeeee!”

“Eeeeek!”

“This really isn’t so bad.”

“Okay . . .” After about a minute, it was surprisingly Cloud Kicker who stepped out into the middle of the roundabout. “It’s time to stop; I can see your forelegs are starting to shake. You’re getting tired.”

“Aaaaaw!” the human colts complained, even as they immediately stopped tossing ponies around.

“You’re just too heavy, lard butt,” Geoffrey said as he sat Hector down on the ground.

“You do realize you are getting flying lessons once I learn how to control my horn,” Hector shot back.

“Whaaaa!” The pegasus baby was making her displeasure known as Brad handed her over to her mother.

“Here you go ma’am,” Brad said. “I don’t think she’s happy that we stopped.”

The mare smiled up at the boy. “She had fun. When I next need a foalsitter, I’m coming for you and your friends.”

“Um.” Brad wasn’t sure how to respond.

“Hector,” Crisp Lick said with shaky legs.

“Yes?” Hector quickly trotted over to her, making sure she didn’t fall over.

“Just so you know, your friends are gonna get bucked to the moon,” Crisp Lick said. “And back.”

“I’ll help,” Hector said as a large group of foals, who had been hiding on the sidelines, made themselves known.

“That looked interesting,” Yew Leaf, a filly from Cheerilee’s class stated bravely.

“I was thinking; terrifying,” Peppermint Twist corrected.

“It was fun,” Wilbur said, bending at the waist to make it easier to talk to the small ponies.

“Your hooves never left the ground.” Zipporwill trotted over to look up at the human.

“You have human colt friends,” Yew Leaf accused Hector as she pointed a hoof at one of the boys.

“Are they our age?” Peppermint Twist asked.

“Guys,” Brad said as he hurried over, throwing a glance over his shoulder. “We need to make a run for it before we get some babysitting jobs.”


The Muggle Studies professor was walking down the hall, chatting with two of his colleagues as the three of them enjoyed their free time.

“Ah, such a nice, peaceful, and quiet day,” the Muggle Studies professor said with his hands in his pockets.

“Great,” Berrytwist said. “You just jinxed us.”

“I hardly think so,” the Muggle Studies professor countered. “Besides, I deserve a quiet day. I am taking the seventh-years to the mall tomorrow.”

“You really don’t know when to quit, do you?” Berrytwist shook her head.

“His timing was a little off,” Professor Trelawney stated. “He needs some practice.”

Berrytwist sighed. “What do you . . .”

Professor Trelawney held up a hand to halt her. “Wait for it.”

Berrytwist sighed again, this time joined by The Muggle Studies professor.

A second later they heard the scream. “eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

“Nice doppler effect,” the Muggle Studies professor stated, looking down the hall. “I didn’t know that Miss Aloo had a scooter.”

“Me, I’m wondering how they talked Miss Granger into riding in that wagon,” Berrytwist added.

“She does have a pair of lungs,” Professor Trelawney noted.

“Oops! Pardon us, professors!”

“Okay, the thestral-drawn wagon is slower than the pegasus slash scooter-drawn one,” Berrytwist noted dryly.

“Howdy Professors!... See ya, Professors.”

“I’m surprised the pegasus-drawn wagon is in last place,” the Muggle Studies professor said.

“Technically, the first-place wagon was drawn by a pegasus,” Professor Trelawney corrected. “She just had the added benefit of the scooter.”

“Where’d they get the little red wagons?” The Muggle Studies professor mused.

“Seriously?” Berrytwist asked. “There is absolutely nothing stopping Miss Patil from teleporting wherever she likes. I’m just surprised that it took them this long to remember that flying ponies can pull wagons.”

“Hurry up, Pink Boy! We’re falling behind.”

“Seamus, I swear I’m gonna dump this thing over and you can walk! And, it’s fuchsia!”

“Oh look. Two ponies are faster than one,” Professor Trelawney observed.


Gordon had lucked out, and he knew it. Granted, he always thought he’d find a nice hen someday and settle down. Heck, his mother had drilled that requirement into him as an unavoidable fact of life. Her insistence in the matter may have lent a little toward his decision to spend some years in Canterlot. Okay, to be fair, it may have lent more than a little. After all, the odds of him finding somegriff with the desire to acquire him in a city full of ponies were pretty slim.

Tonks had been a surprise. And, wasn’t that an understatement? He had known he had liked her when he thought she was just a colorful pony. And, wasn’t that a concept in of itself? She stood out as ‘colorful’ amidst a race whose normal hues ranged from bright and cheerful all the way to diabetic seizure waiting to happen. And yet, Tonks had been sunshine compared to their moonlight. How many times had he had to remind himself that griffins don’t do herds? It had practically become his motto.

Yet it was undeniable that those words had fallen upon the deaf ears of fate. Was fate normally deaf? She was probably just ignoring him. Hens tended to do that when they didn’t want to acknowledge a valid argument.

There had been something there that everycreature around them had almost instantly recognized. No matter how much he had tried to deny it, the others wouldn’t allow the two of them to just be friends. Not that he had wanted to limit himself to that, but wow, the mothers on both sides had pulled out all stops.

Fortunately, it turned out that Tonks had similar feelings for him. In truth, odds where they would have eventually gotten together without all of the prodding. The only real obstacle had been worrying she’d back out once he let her know that griffins mated for life. It had been a relief when her reply had been that witches marry for life. After that, things had gotten intimate and Gordon had gotten a surname. Now he was living in an apartment with a pseudo herd. In truth, they were just two separate mated pairs, trying to keep Clementine out of the claws of some herd-happy mares. The good news was that they had a solid legal basis for rebuffing the desperate. The bad news was that the new arrangements were now drawing mares with more exotic tastes.

There were benefits that came with being with Tonks as well as some drawbacks. The worst of which was her second name, a name he was forbidden to utter, despite it being her personal, nonfamily specific, designation. He had tried once and that had resulted in him flying lopsided for a week; meanwhile, she had a new favorite quill for her collection. Never again would Gordon be skeptical of her qualifications for being a griffin hen.

But the pros far outweighed the cons. While he would have been happy with just the companionship, the perks of her otherworldly origins were nothing to sneeze at. Take the VCR, for example. Tonks’ father, who was also named “Tonks” but “Ted” as well as “Edward” – human names are so confusing. Anyway, the older male was more than happy to send Gordon tapes of a game called “football”. The young griffin may have become a wee bit obsessed with the humans kicking that ball around.

He was devouring the latest offering an owl had recently delivered when Tonks stepped out of their bedroom with a weird look on her face.

“Gordon,” she said, and he snapped his gaze in her direction, instantly alerted by the strange tone she had used.

He hadn’t realized he had moved from his seated position in front of the telly before he was standing a hair’s breadth from her. “Tonks! Is something the matter? Of course, something is the matter. You look like something is the matter. Are you all right? Are you hurt? You don’t look all right. I’m gonna fly you to the hospital.”

“Gordon,” Tonks said again, ruffling the feathers of her griffin form, “I’m fine.”

Gordon tilted his head in confusion. “Then what?”

“I just . . . That is . . . Look, you’d better come in here and see for yourself.”

Worriedly, Gordon followed his mate into their bedroom only to freeze in shock when he saw what was lying in the middle of their bed. “Is that an egg?”

“Yeah,” Tonks said managing to blush through her feathers. “That’s an egg.”

Gordon stared at it for a second before looking at Tonks. “Where’d you get it?”

“Where’d I get it?” Tonks’ voice was verging on shrill. “Where do you think I got it from?”

Looking back at the object, Gordon said, “It’s just . . . It’s an egg.”

“Yes, we’ve established that.” Tonks growled. “Believe me when I say its appearance was a startling surprise.”

“But . . . But . . . an egg.”

“Yes, Gordon, an egg,” Tonks said. “You are going to be a father.”

“But . . . But . . . an egg!”

“Gordon, there is no other possible candidate.” Tonks was getting angry.

“But we’ve never had relations in our griffin forms,” Gordon complained.

“Two words . . . 'sharp' and 'pointy',” Tonks instantly retorted.

“Mom says that’s the best part.”

“I have some reservations about your mother.” Tonks informed him.

“Understandable,” Gordon said, looking back at the bed. “But . . . an egg?”

“Yes Gordon, an egg.”

“But . . . But . . .” Gordon took a deep breath before collecting himself. “Tonks, griffins don’t lay eggs.”

“What?” Tonks asked in surprise.

“Our fronts may be avian but our backs are all feline.” Gordon turned to look at his mate. “You know, the part with all of our reproductive pieces.”

“Griffins give live birth?”

“Yes.” Gordon nodded.

“As in, beaks and all?”

“Of course,” Gordon answered.

“What is it with Griffins and sharp items invading that region?” Tonks demanded.

“It can’t be that bad.” Gordon shrugged only to receive a withering glare from Tonks. “Okay, okay, point taken.”

“Was that supposed to be a pun?”

“No. No.” Gordon hastily assured her before turning back to look at the egg. “Aren’t we supposed to sit on it or something?”

“How should I know? Humans don’t lay eggs either.”

The pair continued to stare at their future child. “Maybe we should get a doctor to look at it.” Gordon said after a pause. “At the very least, your mother.”

“I am not looking forward to her reaction when I have to tell her about this,” Tonks said.

“I thought you cast spells to prevent pregnancies,” Gordon ventured.

“Well, apparently the charm doesn’t take egg laying into account,” Tonks huffed.

“I’m not trying to assign blame,” Gordon said slowly. ‘I’m just trying to come to terms with it all.”

“Sorry Gordon.” Tonks wilted where she stood. “It just came as a surprise. The shock hasn’t worn off yet.”

“We’re going to be parents.” Gordon stated the obvious.

“Yeah . . .” Tonks stared at the egg. “Question. Do griffin babies eat solid food or drink milk?”

“A little of both,” Gordon said. “Why do you ask?”

Tonks winced. “I just realized sharp and pointy was going to be applied to another portion of my anatomy.”

“What is with you and your fascination with those two words?” Gordon asked.

“I happen to like the thought of my flesh being unbroken.”

Gordon sighed. “I can understand that.”

“We are sooooo going with bottle feeding.” Tonks informed him.


Lord Greengrass was having a wonderful day. Truth be told, most of his days were wonderful at this point. Despite his first marriage being arranged, he had found himself with a loving and attentive partner; one who had given him two beautiful daughters. Now he was lucky enough to have two such partners, a pair of women who were as affectionate to himself as they were to each other, proving that, of all things, family was his greatest treasure.

It was, therefore, not a sacrifice to be spending the afternoon being entertained by his wives modeling fashions for him. Rarity had opened a new store in the pony city of Canterlot, and they were eager to get his opinions on some of the wares they would be offering; a pastime that was somehow both overtly cute and glamorous at the same time, since they were doing it in their pony forms.

It was starting to become incomprehensible how much he owed Lord Discord. Not only was he responsible for his youngest daughter being cured, it was also his indirect actions which led to Lord Greengrass meeting his second wife. And those weren’t the only boons the rings had ended up bestowing. Though Lord Discord had been quoted saying that he had not intentionally included such enchantments, it was apparent that the rings had an effect on fertility. Prior to the transformations, the lord and his first wife had been devastated by the news that complications with Astoria’s birth had left the lady sterile, yet here she was with child for a third time. That had been a pleasant surprise.

Currently, his women were showing off a pair of flowing gowns. The one his first wife wore was white with purple highlights, matching the coloring of his younger wife perfectly. Meanwhile, Rarity was wearing something golden, which, in turn, matched his first wife’s coat. They were beautiful, glowing with happiness and the lives that were growing within them.

It was almost a shame when the family owl appeared and started hooting for attention. Tearing his gaze away from his wives, Lord Greengrass noted that the rune on the owl’s pouch denoting passengers was glowing slightly. Almost absently, he reached out with his wand and tapped the rune. “Ex dimittere,” he commanded.

There came the expected distasteful noises as two ponies were disgorged; Linda Blair would have been proud. The first passenger was obviously male; he landed on his back with a wuff. The second, looked female as well as startled, flailing her hooves helplessly as she unintentionally headbutted the stallion’s proof of gender on her way down, playing out Tonks’ nightmare scenario.

That horn had to have hurt!

“Yeeeeeeeeeeeee!” squealed the stallion in a voice much too high for his frame.

“Mother! Father!” Rarity called out, rushing forward. “Father! Are you all right?”

“No,” squeaked the stallion in a forced soprano.

Rarity turned to her sister wife. “Call a healer,” she commanded in a no-nonsense voice.

An hour, a few spells, a barrage of potions, and a massive amount of soft tissue regeneration later saw them all sitting around a table with tea set out before them.

“Well, now that that is over with,” Rarity said using her magic to pour everyone a cup. “My dear herdmates, I’d like to introduce you to my parents, Cookie Crumbles and Hondo Flanks.”

“A pleasure,” Lord Greengrass said with a nod as Rarity went on to introduce him and his first wife.

“Please call me ‘Magnum’,” Rarity’s father said after the pleasantries. He still had a grimace on his face despite the healer assuring him he’d made a full recovery already.

“So, Mother, Father, while it is always a pleasure to see you, to what do I owe this unexpected surprise?” Rarity got directly to the point.

“What a silly question,” Cookie said. “We received a letter telling us that not only was our daughter married but was expecting a foal. Of course, we hauled tail and got our horns to Ponyville as fast as we could gallop.”

“You galloped all the way to Ponyville?” Lady Greengrass queried.

Cookie gave the golden unicorn a questioning look before answering with a chuckle. “It’s just a saying; we took the train, of course.”

“Ah,” Lady Greengrass acknowledged. “I apologize. I should have realized.”

“So, this is your stallion?” Magnum asked, eyeing the human man. “Exotic.”

“Where are my manners?” Lord Greengrass said, shrinking down into a blue earth pony. “It would be more polite for me to take this form.”

“Magnum didn’t mean anything by that,” Cookie said with a nod of approval. “Who our daughter loves has always been and always will be her decision and her responsibility.”

“I assure you; no offense was taken,” Lord Greengrass said smoothly.

“So . . .” Magnum turned toward Lady Greengrass. “Are you able to change, too?”

“Yes,” Lady Greengrass said. “I was born human, the same as our husband.”

“Human, hmm?” Cookie mused. “That explains a few things. So, our Rarity has herded with humans.”

“Yes mother,” Rarity said. “I am quite happy with the arrangement.”

“Good,” Magnum said. “As long as you are happy.”

“Which brings us to the main reason for our visit,” Cookie said with a suddenly serious tone. “Do they know?”

Rarity looked ashamed at that question as she tentatively reached out and tapped her teacup with a hoof. “Humans don’t react that way,” she said after a few seconds.

“That’s a relief,” Cookie said with a hard glare. “But you haven’t answered the question.”

Rarity continued to tap her teacup with a contemplative look on her face.

“So, we won’t be needing to take Sweetie back with us?” Magnum asked.

“No, why would you?” Lady Greengrass replied. “She is welcome here, and it wouldn’t do to interrupt her schooling.”

“We feared . . . complications,” Cookie returned warily.

“As stated, Rarity’s little sister is always welcome,” Lord Greengrass said. “There will be no complications.”

Cookie looked at the earth pony, narrowing her eyes before turning to her daughter. “You need to tell them. They are your herd, and you can’t keep secrets like that.”

“I was planning to . . .” Rarity winced. “. . . when the time was right.”

“Oh.” Lord Greengrass’ ears tilted forward as realization hit and he gave his younger wife a thoughtful gaze. “I see.”

“I’m sorry.” Rarity’s ears and face wilted. “I know I should have told you before this. It’s just . . .”

“Hush.” Lord Greengrass cut her off. “Apologies are neither warranted nor necessary.”

“You must think me a terrible mare,” Rarity said with tears in her eyes.

Lady Greengrass perked up before jumping out of her chair to hurry over and give Rarity a hug. “Oh, that’s why you were telling us those stories. You wanted to gauge our reactions. It makes sense now.”

“Truly.” Lord Greengrass nodded. “Rest assured, I would never have reacted in such a distasteful manner.”

“You would have made a wonderful Slytherin,” Lady Greengrass said, nuzzling Rarity.

“You’re not mad?” Rarity wailed as she broke out in tears.

Lord Greengrass would have been disappointed if she had done so in public, but in private, it was a different matter. With all the dignity he could muster, he left his own chair and trotted over to comfort his wives. Dignity was strained in this form as he did have to pick himself up off the ground; trotting was something he also needed to practice. “There, there.” He said after he managed to put his front hooves around his women.

“So?” Magnum asked cautiously. “We’re all good then?”

With his forelegs still encompassing the mares, Lord Greengrass turned to look at the other stallion. “Lady Rarity is my wife,” he said. “That is no mean statement. For better or for worse, her successes are my successes. Her failures are my failures. Her joys are my joys. Her woes are my woes. Her means are my means. Her troubles are my troubles. And most importantly . . .” Lord Greengrass looked between Cookie and Magnum before giving a serious smile. “Her family is my family."

He gave Rarity a kiss. "Your daughter is my daughter.”

Author's Note:

Hello everyone;

It has been a while and obviously I haven't been spending the time on my writing that I would like to be able to devote to it. However I do want you all to know that I am not abandoning the hobby. That said you should be made aware that Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, and Phantom Liberty are all being released in a ridiculously short time frame. So... yeah... just be aware.
--- Dogger807

PreviousChapters Next