• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 8,483 Views, 2,522 Comments

Hazy Days and Magical Ways - Dogger807



The Crusaders have finished their first semester at Hogwarts with the second about to start. The Weasley twins may be taking bets on how many professors take up heavy drinking by the end of the year.

  • ...
32
 2,522
 8,483

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38: Running Recon and Reunions

As he felt his heart breaking, Randy could not help but think back to the time that he had believed that he was destined to die of boredom. Life, it seemed, would be no more than a monotonous muddle with one school day seamlessly oozing into the next. Mere words could not express the chagrin he had felt when he’d been told that he’d have to transfer to a boarding school – until he learned it was a magical boarding school.

Magic was cool! Beyond any doubt, magic was very cool, just like the castle. It was literally a dream come true. Granted, they weren’t yet living inside the building, but the tent set up in the courtyard was also cool. There were even ghosts! That was cool. The ghosts themselves, though, were actually kind of boring. The movie about the ghost exterminators in New York City was a complete lie. There wasn’t even an iota of ectoplasm to be had in the entire castle.

The coolest thing, however, had to be his new best friend. They were practically peas in a pod with the way they just seemed to click. The best part was that his friend was an actual fire-breathing dragon. Granted, Spike was a baby dragon, but some things were meant to start small. Dragons were beyond cool.

What wasn’t cool was the funk his little purple buddy was currently experiencing. When he had first heard the news, Spike had broken out in tears, right there in the common room. No one would have dreamed of teasing him after that outburst. First, he was just too freaking cute to have any of that bad karma directed his way. And secondly, well, fire-breathing dragon. What more needed to be said on that matter?

So here they were, wandering the halls, the two keeping quiet with the exception of an occasional sniffle coming from the shorter of the pair.

After an eternity, Spike asked, “Why?”

“Hmm?” Randy replied.

“Why did she do it?” Spike asked. “Doesn’t she like me?”

“Mate,” Randy said, “I don’t see why it’s a problem. Don’t ponies do herds with more than one bloke in them?”

“Yeah, but dragons don’t.” Spike sniffed. “We’re greedy like that.”

“She isn’t a dragon, though,” Randy reasoned.

“She could have let me known.” Spike ignored the point. “How could…” He didn’t finish the sentence, letting out a miserable sigh instead.

“I think that’s why she sent you that letter,” Randy said. “Better than you going home only to get clobbered when you make some offhand comment about her getting fat.”

“She wouldn’t get fat,” Spike said with a hint of anger in his voice. “She’s perfect. She’s beautiful. She’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a mare.”

“She’s also ancient,” Randy said.

“She’s not!”

“She’s like, what? Twenty-five? Thirty?” Randy shrugged. “It’s all right to have a crush, but that’s as far as it’ll go. She probably sees you as a lovable little brother.”

“I would be good for her,” Spike insisted.

Randy gave a short laugh. “You’re not even finished with school. You’re not mature enough to be good for her.”

“I am mature!” Spike protested. “I had all kinds of responsibilities before coming here.”

“You are literally a baby dragon,” Randy scoffed. “By that definition alone, you aren’t mature.”

“You don’t understand,” Spike said. “I wanted to marry her someday.”

“Yeah, right,” Randy snorted. “That would be like me going up to Professor McGonagall and asking her to marry me. She’d laugh right in my face; she would.”

“I don’t think McGonagall knows how to laugh.”

“You have a point,” Randy said. “She’d give me a stern look and let me know how foolish I was.”

“You think I’m being foolish?” Spike glared at Randy. However, because of his lack of height and general cute appearance, it didn’t have the intended effect.

“I don’t know. It’s not like you’re throwing a fit over a girl four times your age, or anything.”

“We could make it work.” Spike protested.

“Or you could focus on someone your own age,” Randy suggested. “It’s not anything like we’re in a castle chock-full of girls or something.”

“They would be too much trouble,” Spike stated.

“And this Rarity isn’t?” Randy asked.

“It wouldn’t be the same.”

“No, I reckon it’d be something new.” Randy shrugged.

“I’m telling you right now; the girls around here will be the death of us,” Spike stated.

“I don’t doubt it,” Randy said. “I’m sure girls would be the number one cause of death, if anyone bothered to keep count. I don’t know why anyone gets it in their heads that being around girls is a good idea.”

“Half the humans we hang out with are girls,” Spike noted.

“Nuh uh.” Randy shook his head. “They’re just blokes who are a little bit lacking.”

“I dare you to say that to Diamond Tiara’s face.”

“Umm,” Randy said. “How about we don’t?”

“You’ve never had a crush,” Spike said accusingly.

“Of course, I haven’t,” Randy replied. “I’m way smarter than that.”

“The sheer number of Ravenclaws with crushes proves that using brains can’t cure heartache.” Spike said dryly.

“Common sense, then,” Randy countered.

“Which definition of ‘common’ are you using?” He shuddered. “I edited Twilight’s research paper; less than four in a million never have one.”

“Will power?” Randy ventured.

“You realize I’m laughing my tail off the moment you meet a filly you like,” Spike deadpanned.

“Not happening,” Randy said. “I’ve seen the bother it causes. Why would I put myself through that?”

“How many ‘I told you so’s’ do you think I’m racking up from this conversation?” Spike wondered out loud.

“None,” Randy said confidently.

“I’m just waiting for you to say something like ‘fillies are icky’.”

“That’s just childish,” Randy said. “And, we’ve already established you are the immature one around here.”

“You’re not exactly full grown yourself, you know,” Spike returned.

“Low blow,” Randy accused.

“When I’m like this, all my blows are low,” Spike said. “Being small means, I can’t aim very high.”

“In a way, that is more worrisome than your fire breath.” Randy took a step backwards, painfully aware of exactly what parts of his anatomy were the perfect height for the apex of Spike’s shoryuken.

He needn’t have worried though, Spike stood still and silent for a good minute before saying, “You’re right.”

“That’s not news,” Randy quipped.

“Just because Rarity joined a herd, doesn’t mean I can’t join later.” Spike continued as if his friend hadn’t spoken. “She’s worth it, worth sharing.”

“I still say she’s too old for you,” Randy said.

“Age shall be no boundary,” Spike said sagely.

“At least you know what you want,” Randy said.

“I’ve known from the moment I saw her,” Spike noted.

“You’re hard-headed,” Randy noted.

“It’s the scales; don’t you know?” Spike said. “Much more protection than mere flesh.”

“There you are!” a voice called out causing the boys to turn around to look back the way they had come. Down the hallway and rapidly approaching were Diamond Tiara. Draco, Silver Spoon, Daphne, and oh yeah, Tracey was there as well. “We’ve been looking everywhere for you two.”

“Spike needed some alone time.” Randy said.

“Why is my ‘I told you so’ sense tingling?” Spike asked too quietly for anyone but Randy to hear.

“We heard,” Daphne said as the other children drew close to the pair. “One of your housemates came and told us that Spike has received a letter that upset him.”

“Something about the love of his life going off and getting pregnant by somebody else,” Tracey said sympathetically. “We thought he could use some friends right about now.”

“Thanks, guys,” Spike said. “I was feeling down, but Randy reminded me that I wasn’t out of the game yet.”

“Don’t get your hopes up,” Diamond Tiara said. “She’s old enough to be your mother. Heck, she went to school with my father and uncle.”

“You have an uncle?” Silver Spoon was surprised by the statement.”

“Had,” Diamond Tiara said. “He got eaten by a quarray eel.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Daphne replied.

Diamond Tiara shrugged. “Happened before I was born. I never met the stallion.”

“Still, that’s rough,” Tracey said.

“Water under the bridge.” Diamond Tiara shrugged. “My point is that by the time Spike is ready, she’ll have grandfoals already.”

“Somehow, that math doesn’t add up.” Randy commented. “If you stop to think…” That was as far as he got before Diamond shot him a withering look. “Ah, the point still stands though.”

“Why is everypony trying to make me give up on Rarity?” Spike whined.

“Because we care about you,” Daphne said. “Besides, my father isn’t one for sharing.”

“Your father was the one who got Rarity pregnant!” Spike all but shouted.

“They’re almost the same age,” Daphne said. “Which just goes to show that Lady Rarity is old enough to be your mother.”

“Dragons don’t lay eggs until they are at least five hundred and forty years old,” Spike informed her. “So, she’s not old enough to be my mother.”

“Okay,” Tracey drawled. “That puts a whole new spin on things. Could we just skip the arguing and commence with the hugging until he feels better?”

“Or we could just let him sulk until he works it out of his system,” Draco said sullenly.

“You’re going to live five hundred years?” Silver clutched at an important fact. “How long do dragons live?”

“A lot longer than that,” Spike said smugly. “You have to live for a long time if you want to take century-long naps.”

“We’re getting off topic,” Diamond said, producing a parchment from somewhere. “I’ve got just the thing to make you feel better.” She thrust her prize towards the two boys. “Here, sign this,” she commanded.

Randy looked warily at the proffered object. “Is that?” He scrunched his brows together. “Spike I think we should run. Don’t you think we should… Spike wait for me! Bloody hell! How can you move so fast with those stubby little legs?”

“Darn it!” Diamond stomped a foot as she watched the pair flee. “How did the Crusaders make this look so easy?”


“Hey guys!” Gloria said as she backed into the common room, stopping at the doorway. “You’ve got to get a load of this.”

Her words drew the attention of everyone as a recognizable voice came from the direction Gloria was pointing her wand. “I swear if you don’t put me down! This is embarrassing!”

“Hush!” Gloria said. “You’re ruining the big reveal.”

“I can walk on my own,” snarled what was assuredly Ruby’s voice.

“That’s debatable.” Shadow Flow’s voice came from a similar direction. “You’re clumsier than a new born foal.”

“Now that everyone is watching.” Gloria finished backing into the room, levitating a pony. “Ta da!”

“Ooooooooooh!” came the collective gasp from her fellow Hufflepuffs and a few muggleborn houseless.

“That’s new,” Cedric Diggory was the first to say.

“Okay. That’s just wrong,” said Hanna Abbot.

“I’ll say,” Susan Bones noted.

“You can see right through her,” added Ernie Macmillan.

“No.” Hanna shook her head. “I meant; she’s ruby.”

“Of course, she’s Ruby,” Craig Dunn said. “We recognize her voice.”

“Wait!” cried Linda Chaddesley. “Did anyone else just have a dose of déjà vu? I just had an intense feeling of déjà vu.”

“Gloria put me down!”

“So? What is she? A ghost pony?” one of the muggleborn asked.

“Don’t be daft.” Another muggleborn scolded him. “Ghost aren’t red.”

“She’s ruby,” Hanna said.

“That’s just weird,” Linda Chaddesley said, looking around in confusion. “Don’t tell me no one else felt that.”

“She’s solid.” Shadow came forward and tapped a hoof against one of Ruby’s dangling legs. “So, not a ghost.”

“Shouldn’t she, like, have organs?” Justin Finch-Fletchley asked.

“Put me on the bloody ground!”

“This is good news,” Cedric said. “Now Hufflepuff has the one and only ghost pony in the castle.”

“Being a ghost is not something to celebrate.” Gloria berated the boy.

“She’s not a ghost,” said Susan Bones.

“Course not, she’s red,” said the second muggleborn.

“She’s ruby!” insisted Hanna.

“Seriously,” spouted a frustrated Linda Chaddesley. “That has got to stop, whatever it is.”

“I’d really like to be let down now!”


Alwin looked over the edge of the carpet and marveled at the view.

“How is it that your so calm?” Stetson asked from where he was cowering at the center of the carpet covered by five shivering unicorn mares.

“I got wings. Don’t I?” Alwin asked, still enjoying the view.

“Sure, but you have no idea how to use them,” Stetson countered.

“I’m sure I’d figure something out before hitting the ground.” Alwin shrugged. “Besides, these things have charms that prevent you from falling off.”

“Then why are they illegal?” Stetson demanded.

“Broom makers want a monopoly,” Alwin deadpanned. “They are completely legal here in Equestria.”

Herd candidate Burnished Argent said, “I still can’t believe you know Knight Elemental Rarity. Not everypony has a flying carpet just lying around their boutique.”

Herd candidate Mossy Ledge replied, “She did mention it was a Hearth’s Warming gift.” She gave a pointed look at the diminutive pilot. “I’m more surprised that changelings are real. What did Knight Rarity mean that you were almost killed?”

Clouded Hope shrugged. “It was a misunderstanding. Changelings are supposed to announce themselves before they enter another hive’s territory. I got dragged into Canterlot before I could do that.

Stetson said, “Wait a minute. Why didn’t they try getting you when we were in Canterlot?”

Clouded replied, “I had time to make arrangements. Besides, the local queen knows I’m much more valuable to her alive.”

Burnished Argent grumbled. “Are you sure we need to go to Cloudsdale? Being off the ground is just unnatural.”

Clouded said, “The herd balance is off without pegasi. Besides, we’re too young to get into Las Pegasus.”

“Do another loop de loop!” Alwin commanded, still looking over the edge.

“No!” exclaimed the six ponies huddled as close to the center as they could manage.

“If I did that, I wouldn’t doubt that Stetson would refuse to scourgify the unicorn barf off of me a second time.” Clouded shook her head.

“I’m pretty sure their stomachs are empty now,” Alwin asserted.

“Not a risk I am willing to take,” Clouded said. “I am literally the smallest target on this thing, and not a one of them missed.”

“Spoilsport,” Alwin muttered.

“Do you want to fly this thing?” Clouded raised an eyebrow at him. “They can target you instead.”

“Sure!” Alwin said.

“No!” thundered the six traumatized unicorns.

“So, no loop de loop then?” Alwin asked dejectedly. “The enchantments really are good enough to hold everyone on.”

Stetson shot a stinging hex that caught Alwin on the snout.


In short order they landed at the welcome center of a city, which as its name implied, was located floating on clouds.

“Wow, this is impressive,” Alwin said, stepping off the carpet.

“You’ve never been here before?” Stark Winter asked with incredulity. “I was under the impression that all pegasus visited here at least once.”

“I’m more interested in him not knowing how to use his wings,” Racoon said. “I was going to say something at the time, but held my tongue. I wanted to get on solid ground first.”

“This ground is surprisingly solid.” Alwin tapped his hoof on the cobblestone sidewalk they were on leading from their landing platform. Then, just to prove his point, he started off the path towards a group of ponies standing not too far away. “It’s so soft,” he commented. “But firm enough to stand on.”

From behind him, Stetson said. “That’s amazing. I can’t wait to whooooops!”

In front of him, the four ponies he had been approaching went wide eyed as one of them dove through the ground as if it were made of, well, clouds.

“That was neat.” Alwin turned back toward his group. “Don’t you think, Stetson? Stetson? Where’d he go?”

“Important note,” Clouded said. “Unicorns cannot walk on clouds without the proper spell being cast first.”

“That wasn’t the brightest move I’ve ever seen,” Mossy Ledge, a filly Clouded had added to the group, commented.

“This goes right up there with the not knowing how to fly comment,” Racoon added.

“Hmm, we may have forgotten to mention that Stetson and Alwin are human-born,” Clouded said. “Today is their first day as ponies.”

“Human?” Shuffle Toes asked.

“Oh,” Stark Winter said. “I’ve heard tell of those. They make ideal pony stallions. My aunt’s herd bought one before they shut down the market. I can’t believe we get a pair of them.”

“You really aren’t letting go of the two blokes in a herd thing? Are you?” Alwin asked as the tan mare who had dove through the ground returned, carrying Stetson.

“You foals need to remember to stay on the path!” the mare snapped, depositing Stetson next to the unicorn fillies, who were not venturing anywhere near the edge.

“Thanks for the save,” Clouded said as everypony else was at a loss for words. “I’ll keep them in line from here on out.”

“Why is that coming from the mouth of the youngest filly here?” one of the other mares still standing on the cloud asked. She was a nice shade of purple.

“I’m the only pony with common sense,” Clouded stated.

“I’m not going to fall through if I lose concentration or anything?” Alwin interrupted, looking down at the not so solid ground on which he stood.

“No,” said the mare who had rescued Stetson. “Why would you?”

“See what I mean?” Clouded questioned.

“Lack of ignorance is not the same thing as having common sense,” Stetson said, walking to the boundary between solid and not so solid. With an eager hoof he prodded the clouds.

“Says the pony who hasn’t learned his lesson yet,” Mossy Ledge said. “Get back away from the edge.”

“Speaking of,” the tan mare said, “you seem rather ill informed to be visiting our city.”

“We’ll learn,” Alwin stated.

“Hopefully without anypony going splat.” Shuffle stated.

“So, what prompted your visit?” the purple pegasus mare on the cloud prompted as Racoon and Stark dragged Stetson away from the edge by his tail.

“They are looking for three pegasus mares to fill out their herd,” Clouded stated. “We thought the best place to look would be Cloudsdale.”

“You are looking for members to add to your herd?” asked the tan mare. “I’m tempted to introduce you to my daughter. After you demonstrate having some brains, that is.”

“I’m all for that,” Stetson said. “After we get something to eat. I’ve emptied myself from both ends; so, I’m more than a little puckish.”

Alwin did a facehoof. “And back home, all we have to worry about is the birds.”


The café was nice enough, more than adequate for a quick meal and a break from their search. It was a respite that was sorely needed considering they had been about their mission for quite some time now. It was a substantial undertaking. Day after day of worrying had turned into week after week without relief. For all their effort, their quarry was nowhere to be found, no matter how far they strayed from their home.

Their time together was not completely fruitless. They had become closer; their love for one another grew deeper. If it were not for the hole in their hearts, the experience would have been wonderful. If only their goal hadn’t been so devastatingly elusive. If only they could be assured the one they were searching for was hale and hearty. If only they weren’t consumed with uncertainty.

After another day of dead ends, the pair were indulging in a quick spot of tea when a stranger sat at their table without asking permission. Compounding the odd nature of the intrusion was the fact that the intruder was a young boy, who couldn’t have been more than nine years old.

“Hello?” Janice still hadn’t gotten over her awkwardness concerning people she didn’t know, but she was more than willing to make an attempt at an exception for the seemingly lost child.

“Hello,” the boy responded looking down at the table, refusing to meet her eyes.

“Are you lost?” Victor asked. “Do you need our help finding someone?”

“No.” The boy sighed heavily. “This is where I need to be right now.”

“Are your parents around?” Janice looked around the restaurant, expecting to see the boy’s family watching the encounter.”

“My mother knows where I am,” the boy said somewhat bitterly, still looking down at the table.

“She doesn’t approve.” It wasn’t a question; Victor was making a statement.

“She thinks this is an unnecessary complication,” the boy admitted.

“What exactly is ‘this’?” Victor asked, not unkindly.

The boy opened his mouth to say something but closed it again, unable to continue.

“Take your time.” Janice soothed. “I’ll order you some tea. It’ll calm your nerves.”

“No.” The boy shook his head, still looking down. “I don’t need tea. I… I need to tell you.”

“Tell us?” Victor asked, gesturing for their waitress to bring some tea despite the child’s words.

“I..” The boy seemed to consider his next sentence. “You need to stop looking.”

“Stop looking?” Janice examined the boy with trepidation. “Do you know for whom we are looking?”

“She...” The boy was having difficulty finding words. “She never really existed.”

“Never existed?” Victor scoffed. “She changed our lives for the better. It’s a disservice to say she never existed. Do you know where she is?”

“She…” The boy started before changing midsentence. “Ponies. They weren’t the only creatures to come here from Equestria.” He still wouldn’t look either of the adults in their eyes.

“I’ve heard tell of at least one griffin,” Victor admitted. “What does that have to do with anything?”

The boy fidgeted. “A hive full of others came in secret,” he said after a few seconds. “She was one of that hive.”

“Was?” Janice asked, fear in her voice.

“She never really existed,” the boy repeated.

“That isn’t open for debate,” Victor said firmly. “Can you tell us where she is?”

“She...” He stopped before going further. Deciding he had had enough, the boy started to get out of his chair. “This was a bad idea.”

“Don’t go!” Janice pleaded. “Please don’t go! We need to know. We need to talk to her. We need to let her know we love her.”

“She knows,” the boy said, settling back in his chair with some reluctance.

Victor took a deep breath. Exhaling it slowly before speaking. “Don’t be scared. We aren’t mad at you. We are excited, since you are the first lead we’ve had in forever. Please tell us what you know. I can promise we won’t yell at you.”

The boy looked at Victor with wide big brown eyes before dropping his gaze once again. “The others… who came from Equestria. W.. They are called changelings.”

“Changelings?” Victor mused. “From what I heard; the griffin was in the company of a changeling.”

The boy snorted at that comment. “Ironically enough, she’s an imposter. She was born human.”

“Why is that ironic?” Janice asked, hoping to keep the boy talking.

“Changelings are master shapeshifters,” the boy said, failing to hide the pride in his voice. “They can be anypony, anything within certain size limits.”

“Impressive.” Victor sat back in his chair, hiding a grin. “Are you saying Darla is one of these shapeshifters? Why did she run?”

The boy sighed. “Changelings. W… They feed on love. Not by choice, but necessity. That means they have to gather food. Most of their methods are considered to be unethical, since subterfuge is a common tactic.”

Victor nodded. “Janice needed someone to love and our changeling was more than willing to provide an outlet.”

The woman in question nodded. “The pink puke. Darla wasn’t sick, was she?”

The boy shook his head. “No, that was love honey. It was being sent back to the hive. You have so much spare love to share.”

“And what of me?” Victor asked. “I was rather bitter at the time, hardly a fitting source of love, if I were to guess.”

“You are a perfect match for Janice,” the boy said. “You just needed to be washed up and hugged a few times.”

“So, she ran because we were going to take her to a doctor and she was afraid of being found out,” Victor concluded.

“Essentially.” The boy got out of his seat fully this time. “That’s why you need to stop looking. No one was supposed to get hurt and you don’t have to worry about a girl who never really existed.”

Janice’s hand shot out and grabbed the boy’s wrist before he could walk away. “You exist.”

“Whatever form you take,” Victor added. “You exist.”

“Please,” Janice all but pleaded. “Come back home.”

Darla looked at the hand holding his wrist then up into the eyes of the woman who gripped him. With awe in his voice, he asked. “You would still want me around?”

The couple nodded with tears in their eyes, confident that their family would be returning to the big and not quite so empty house together.

Janice had found what she had been missing.

PreviousChapters Next