• Published 29th Feb 2020
  • 1,299 Views, 11 Comments

Earthbound - TheLegendaryBillCipher



Applejack awaits news on an injured Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
4
 11
 1,299

Love Has Its Close Calls

Applejack’s internal clock stirred her awake. Living on a farm at least let you know when the sun came up, even if one couldn’t see it through sterile white walls and soft green carpet that had seen worse cases than her. Maybe not worse cases than who she had come to see.

She stretched her legs and back, joints creaking from the uncomfortable sleeping position in the chair. Her hat tipped forward slightly and all at once she was wide awake. A front hoof ducked under it and felt around, before she relaxed and adjusted her hat again.

Sliding out of her chair, Applejack stretched her legs by pacing around the waiting room. Eventually, her ear perked up towards an opening door. It was only the front door, however, and it was someone she had been expecting to see.

“I see you’re here early,” Spitfire said, walking over.

“I never left,” Applejack admitted.

“Is there any word on her condition?”

Applejack just shook her head. Spitfire’s calm demeanor faltered enough for her to bite her lower lip and look away. They remained in silence for a few moments, with nothing but the buzz of fluorescent lights overhead.

“She’s going to wake up,” Spitfire finally said.

“She better,” Applejack said, sternly, though a note of worry betrayed her.

They both looked to the swinging doors that led into the hospital as Nurse Redheart emerged, holding a clipboard. She looked up from it, unsurprised. Nor was she surprised when both ponies ran up to her.

“How is she?” Applejack asked.

“She started regaining consciousness overnight,” Redheart said. At Applejack’s hard look, she added, “We didn’t want to get anyone’s hopes up – we weren’t sure how long it’d last. She can see a visitor now, but just one. It’s a miracle she’s come this far this soon as it is – we don’t want to push it.”

Applejack and Spitfire looked to one another, but the Pegasus smiled softly.

“Well, you did technically beat me here,” she said. “I can always check in on her later. Spitfire turned to Nurse Redheart. “Any word on her flying ability after this?”

“Nothing yet, though her bones are starting the healing process. She’ll be in a cast for a few more weeks now, at least.”

Spitfire nodded solemnly before turning to the exit. “I’ll let the other Bolts know.” She glanced back at Applejack, looking like she wanted to say something, but didn’t. She left without another word.

“Right. Well, right this way, please,” Redheart said, walking back through the doors. Applejack followed.

It was a fight to keep her impatience in check – why was she so slow? She could’ve just given her the room number and she’d have found it herself! Hadn’t she noticed how long she had been waiting in that Celestia-forsaken waiting room? Each thought was tossed aside with the shake of her head. Rainbow Dash had been away for so long, she was starting to think like her. Anything to fill the void.

Finally, Nurse Redheart led her to a room marked 618 and opened the door for her. She huffed a sigh. “Try to keep it as short as possible, she needs her rest. Press the button if you need one of us.”

Applejack nodded. “Thank ya,” she said softly, entering the room as Nurse Redheart departed.

The room was filled with the steady, electronic beeps of the heart rate monitor by the bedside. Seated on the bed, which had its head end arched up slightly, was a Pegasus more befitting of a mummy from one of Rainbow’s Daring Do books: most of her body was covered in wrappings and her limbs and wings were hung up in slings. The only thing visible were her eyes, shut for now, with only the monitor notifying the world that Rainbow Dash was still alive under there.

“H-Hey there, Dash,” Applejack said softly, setting a front hoof on the bedside railing.

Rainbow’s eyes slowly opened to a squint, and magenta pupils slid over to her. “H-Hey, Applejack,” the Pegasus replied, her voice hoarser than usual.

Though smiling, Applejack swiped feebly at a few loose tears before letting the others flow. A great weight had been lifted off her back, at least for now. “How you feeling, sugarcube?”

“Like… the world and I had… a disagreement,” Rainbow wheezed. From the tone of it, she sounded like she was smirking. “But… much better now that you’re here.”

“Spitfire was here, but Nurse Redheart would only allow one visitor,” Applejack said. “She ain’t mad, before you ask. She’s as worried as the rest of us.”

Rainbow Dash shut her eyes and gave a muffled sigh. “Am I out of the Bolts?” she asked.

“Hun, let’s focus on gettin’ you all fixed up before we start worrying about that,” Applejack chastised gently. “You know them doctors had to get Twilight and Zecora to help fix you?”

Rainbow’s eyes opened, a little wider this time. “Really? They went and got Twilight… and Zecora?”

Applejack chuckled softly, scuffing one hoof against the tile floor. “Well… I went and got ‘em, but it’s not like they stopped me either.” She bowed her head, swallowing a lump in her throat. “You mind… you mind tellin’ me what you were doing?”

“What?”

“What sort of fool stunt… were you doing that caused all this?” Her voice grew shaky as she looked up at Rainbow Dash. Internally, she screamed, “That made me think you were gonna die, for Celestia’s sake?”

Rainbow Dash huffed a sigh, her eyes rolling towards the window. “Well… you know how when I do my sonic rainboom… it’s always circular?” Applejack nodded. “I was… trying to see if I could make it… another shape.”

“Why in tarnation would you…” Applejack trailed off as Rainbow Dash looked to her.

“I was trying to make it… heart-shaped. I thought… raising my wings… and lowering my legs during the dive would make the little… wedge shapes, but… it didn’t work.” A shudder ran down Rainbow Dash’s cast. “I didn’t think… it’d flatten my wings… make me lose my air brakes…”

Applejack watched her, though there wasn’t much to watch in her current state besides her eyes. She couldn’t tell her she hadn’t even been paying attention to the dang sky at the time. She couldn’t tell her she only noticed Rainbow Dash because of the small earthquake she caused.

She couldn’t tell her that she had almost died for something and in the end, for nothing.

And with that, Applejack burst out crying, burying her face in she sheets that covered Rainbow’s barrel. Rainbow Dash watched her, but couldn’t do much more. Her look turned to shame.

“I’m sorry, Applejack,” she muttered.

Applejack lifted her face, eyes red and the sheets soaked. “Don’t you ever do a dumb thing like that again, ya hear me?” she shouted.

“I won’t, I promise,” Rainbow Dash said softly. “I’m sorry I worried you and everyone else.”

“Worried?” Applejack gave a breathless laugh. “Dash I thought you were gonna die. I thought I was going to spend weeks here until they finally had to cut ya loose, and then… and then I’d buck every single one of those doctors in the face for not tryin’ harder!” She finished, panting like she’d sprinted across forty acres. Her heart certainly felt like it had.

“That’s the Applejack I know,” the Pegasus said fondly. “But I’m fine, it’s okay. And I’m never doing some stupid stunt like that for Hearts and Hooves Day again. From now on, it’s going to be nothing but normal rainbooms.” She paused. “How… long has it been?”

“It’s been a week,” Applejack said, wiping at her eyes. “I reckon it’s the healing magic and potions Twilight and Zecora used – doctors figured you be out way longer than that.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled. “Well, I’m tougher than I look. And… you guys are amazing friends. Especially you.” Applejack blushed softly. “I couldn’t just leave you guys like that.”

“Not without a proper goodbye you won’t,” Applejack said, then regretted immediately afterward. “I should… let you get some rest. Redheart said I should try to keep it short.”

“Let the others know I’m going to be okay,” Rainbow Dash said. “And… if you could –apologize to Spitfire? I feel like I’m going to get grilled the second I’m on my own hooves again.”

“Sure thing, sugarcube,” Applejack said.

“Hey, Applejack?” Rainbow Dash’s eyes softened. “It’s a little late, but… happy Hearts and Hooves Day.”

Applejack watched her as she shut her eyes and settled back slightly. After waiting a few moments to be sure she was asleep, she walked over and lightly kissed the tip of the cast that blocked her from getting to the mare’s lips. “Happy Hearts and Hooves Day, Rainbow Dash,” she whispered before leaving her bedside.

She didn’t notice Rainbow open one eye and smile warmly under her cast. Nor the heart rate monitor pick up the pace as she shut the door behind her.

Finding herself alone in the hallway, Applejack reached under her hat to grab the object she’d stashed away. When she had heard how dire the situation was, she’d gone for Twilight and Zecora, but then she had gone to the jewelry store. She was grateful to the stars above that she didn’t have to use it, not yet. She would have another chance to speak her peace, a proper chance, without worrying about Rainbow Dash’s life – just their future together.

She smiled down at the little ring box and the small ring within, powder blue gemstone glinting against the fluorescent lights overhead. It made an echoing snap as she closed it again and tucked it away for safekeeping, trotting away with a lighter chest.

Maybe next Hearts and Hooves Day, she would do her own crazy stunt – just not one that’d land her in the hospital.

Author's Note:

Date of Creation (D.o.C.): 2/10/20

The irony is I read a story about Rainbow Dash in the hospital after I had written this. It turned out a lot darker. The context at the end was that she didn't know if Rainbow Dash was going to make it, so she was going to propose to her at her bedside and speak her peace. Now she can wait to do it properly. Not sure if that came across clearly.

I had thought about submitting this to the AppleDash contest, but it wasn't long enough and I didn't feel like it felt the prompt anyway. This is one of three stories I wrote for Hearts and Hooves Day utilizing three thirds of the Mane 6, and though they aren't linked, I feel they're connected. I unfortunately didn't get them edited in time to publish them on Hearts and Hooves Day itself since I had a lot going on, but here they are now.

The song I listened to while writing this was "There You'll Be" by Faith Hill. I felt I needed something country to go along with Applejack, seeing as she's the focus of this story.

-yours truly, with love,
The Legendary Bill Cipher, Equestria Enthusiast

Comments ( 11 )

Another cute and delightful fic, to warm my heart! Thank you, bill cipher! :twilightsmile:

I needed this, thanks for writing it.

One of the better "Applejack and Rainbow Dash are together now" fics.
Nothing too over the top, but you can see the care is there.

Comment posted by saradashh19 deleted Feb 29th, 2020

the fanfic was great:pinkiehappy:

Will you make another appledash story?

10108398
There's a piece in The Works going by, for the time being, "Untitled," which is Appledash. Looking to finish it soon.

If I was in Rainbow's position in the cover art, it would probably be me after an epic fail on a obstacle course

Login or register to comment